Thread: narrosis phobia

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

narrosis phobia

I think I may be developing an aversion to narrow tires.... been riding my necro exclusively for about 4 weeks, and took out my king kahuna, and the tires looked feeble, plus missed the squish of the fatty's... some anticipatory anxiety in some technical areas. urgghh...

I suppose more of a balanced ride schedule is in order, rotating in the various bikes....

what to do... what to do...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Embrace the fat, dude. Reach around with both hands and give 'em a big squeeze.

The tires, I mean.

mtbr member
    Lol! Know that feel.

ouch....
    Yup...same here. I get on a skinny tire bike and I'm like....."this does not feel right"
    Fat all the time is the only cure.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Had that feeling last year.. Now back to loving the narrow tires when the situation calls for them

mtbr member
    Haven't had that issue. I still enjoy my road bike, skinny, 120psi, hard as a rail. But, the Necro makes me wish for snow, even in the Summer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I can't ride anything less than 2.3" now. My cargo bike and my Ogre both have 2.3" Big Apples, my Bandit 29 is running 2.4", will go larger if I start seeing 2.5's come out.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    thanks for the supportive comments... on a related note, was going to sell my KM but now am thinking of tossing some large marges on my Karate Monkey with some 2.4's to help me have a "step down" ride. eh.. eh..

guess I just have to tell the wife and family,, I have to ride more, so I don't pigeon hole myself into being comfortable on one size..

if that's the way it has to be.. well, it will have to be..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Not Large Marge! get a wider 29er rim. Even on a Flow rim 2.4's will be nice.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Nemophilist
    Same boat;

When I first built my Niner RIP9, I thought I had my ultimate bike after years of suffering with dinky 26ers. The first bike that I ever really fit on. When I custom fabricated my Fatties, I built them for big old me with very long front centers. Now I go back to the Niner and it almost feels cramped, like the bars are back in my lap. I've only ridden it 4-5 times in the last year. The 2.2 tires seem like road rubber. It just isn't as fun.

Speaking of bars, both the fatties have Marys on them, and when I do go back to the Niner's conventional riser bar, my hands are numb and wrists aching for the whole ride. I either need to ride it more, or sell it!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    May 2012
    LM fits on a KM frame?

mtbr member
    I blasted my PR time on a local track during my first ride on my skinny hardtail in 4 months, that being said I could hardly believe it as I felt slow and had this "anxiety in some technical areas" that you talk about it was unpleasant and I quickly ordered a new tire to replace my ripped hudu

Levi Early
    I call my trek scratch with 2.35 tires the "skinny bike" now...

mtbr member
    I pumped a lot of money into my ultimate spec titanium 29er just before I built my first fatbike. It has hardly been used in the last 3 years.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    narrosis phobia-imag0875.jpgwhen I had a half fat thing going with the KM,, had a pug fork on it, so I could do a fat sheba up front... ran an large marge in the back.. with a 2.5 tire...

Fat & Single
    I still use both of my 29ers, the SS not so much but definitely getting quite a few kms on my geared 1x10 rigid 29er. Love the fatty and ride it the most but would not do without the other bike.... SS is currently being built into a monstercrosser for commuting.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX