Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

My Ti full suspension 29er+

Is the Krampus a fat bike? It is in spirit, for sure. So I'll start this thread here.
    My Ti 29er broke around the same time Surly announced the Krampus, so I decided I'd get this made and have room for 3" tires, and try a bit of rear suspension, too. Oh yeah, and I was really admiring the Funk Cycles La Ruta.

And after I took most of these pictures on my balcony, I turned around to see a really beautiful sunset. (-:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Ti full suspension 29er+-image.jpg  

My Ti full suspension 29er+-image.jpg  

mtbr member

Hmm, bad-ass?

nothing to see here

Why the cutouts in the rear stays?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Why the cutouts in the rear stays?
    Well, there's no pivot at the seatstay/chainstay/dropout junction, so the stays have to flex instead, so the idea of the cutouts is to aid in the flexing of the seatstays.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlikedog View Post
    Is the Krampus a fat bike?...

My Ti 29er broke around the same time Surly announced the Krampus...
    That's what could be called a lucky break!

I think that most of us are very interested in the Krampus - it's a summer fatbike
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Looks flexy

Self-defeatist
    Can't wait to see this finished.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Very cool. What kinda travel are you thinking for the rear? What you puttin' up front? Can't wait to see it finished.

I've been having unholy thoughts about reworking the swingarm on my RIP9. At this point I've only looked at it enough to know it'll need some major mods.

mtbr member
    Oh ****.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey, thanks.

It will have 80mm of travel with a 2" travel shock.
    I've got a white XL Lefty to go on the front. That's actually what broke my Ti 29er - the Lefty. I put it on the bike, put the bike on the rack on the back of the car, noticed in the rear view window that I hadn't put the foam bumper on the Lefty (the frame protector), said to myself that I'd put it on at the trail head, but on the way there the front wheel flipped around and the Lefty snapped into the down tube and it snapped it almost clean through.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Futon River Crossing View Post
    Looks flexy
    I'm starting to appreciate this one

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Very nice. ** the clearance pic it looks like you have room for 50mm rims and 26" x 3.8" casing tires? Or no?

EDIT: The letters "b" and "y" are considered a swear word according to the recent forum upgrade, I guess.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Very nice. ** the clearance pic it looks like you have room for 50mm rims and 26" x 3.8" casing tires? Or no?

EDIT: The letters "b" and "y" are considered a swear word according to the recent forum upgrade, I guess.
    Like "bysexual" , seems strange?

I don't think 26x3.8 will fit. I only have 26"x4.8" at the moment. I could have designed it that way, seems smart to, but for some reason it seemed wrong to me - it seemed inelegant. That seems kinda silly. But in spirit it is meant to be more of a 29er with room for 3" tires, and not a fat bike with room for 29x3" tires. And I'm pretty big and now that I have Bud and Lou (and a fat bike that will accommodate them) I have no need for 26"x3.8" tires.

Here's the chainstay layout. I don't think 26"x3.8" will work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Ti full suspension 29er+-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    very nice look rig!!
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member

Re: My Ti full suspension 29er+

Sweet

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Holy crap, that will be awesome (and expensive no doubt). I've never seen a Funk La Ruta that had those flex points on the seat stays. Then again, you don't see many of those period...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlikedog View Post
    Like "bysexual" , seems strange?

I don't think 26x3.8 will fit. I only have 26"x4.8" at the moment. I could have designed it that way, seems smart to, but for some reason it seemed wrong to me - it seemed inelegant. That seems kinda silly. But in spirit it is meant to be more of a 29er with room for 3" tires, and not a fat bike with room for 29x3" tires. And I'm pretty big and now that I have Bud and Lou (and a fat bike that will accommodate them) I have no need for 26"x3.8" tires.

Here's the chainstay layout. I don't think 26"x3.8" will work.
    So, how many flexes do you figure that chainstay is good for?
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thank you very much!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The Silk Ti has been around "flexing" since 2000 when they first came out. So far 13 years.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Very nice frame but I cant help to wonder how a bike with 475 mm CS will feel? I know that CS length is only a small part of the geo but anyway, seems very long (the Karmpus has 446...)?

I owned a Lenz Lev 3.0 a few years ago. It was one of the early models with "long" CS at around 18 (or 18.2, cant remember) and that bike turned like a bus on my local trails so I sold it after 6 months.

Any thoughts on that?

Fat & Single
    Thats a good looking bike !!
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rasse1977 View Post
    Very nice frame but I cant help to wonder how a bike with 475 mm CS will feel? I know that CS length is only a small part of the geo but anyway, seems very long (the Karmpus has 446...)?

I owned a Lenz Lev 3.0 a few years ago. It was one of the early models with "long" CS at around 18 (or 18.2, cant remember) and that bike turned like a bus on my local trails so I sold it after 6 months.

Any thoughts on that?
    I do regret how long I made the chainstays. I could easily have gotten away with 460mm, and if I did it again that's what I would do. But, and this is how I let myself do it, I don't believe that a 3% difference will make it feel much different. Or really a 1.3% difference in wheel base length.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Did Funk make this frame??? None of their bikes have added flexpoints???? Im sure they are flattered you used Their design!

mtbr member
    Wow, I didn't know Funk was making Fat Tire Bikes. That's great! I knew Daryl was trying out some new ideas. What was the timeframe, cost, etc. I already have a LaRuta 29er and this fat-tire version would be a great compliment.

What are you doing for a rear shock setup, and what's Daryl recommending? How is that blade going to handle the bigger, heavier tires? Inquiry minds want to know!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tazducks View Post
    Did Funk make this frame??? None of their bikes have added flexpoints???? Im sure they are flattered you used Their design!
    I hope they are. In this case, imitation is definitely the sincerest form of flattery. I think the Funk La Ruta is the only full-suspension bike I've ever seen where the lines make sense to me, aesthetically. Which, for some reason, is important to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast