Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

My Surly Necromancer Experience Thread

Well on Thursday I joined the fatty club. I picked up a Necromancer. I'm starting this thread to detail my ownership experience. I'll post pics and thoughts and rants and videos of my time with my big fatty.

A few pics to get things started....

mtbr member
    Wow, that is some tough looking terrain you have there. Nice looking bike.

mtbr member
    The unveiling video......

mtbr member
    Congrats on your new ride!

mtbr member
    nice! I have one myself, you will totally love the snot out of it! Congrats!

mtbr member
    Talk about a rock garden.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys,

That is Mount Mckay in the picture. It's on the Fort William First Nation reserve. On the other side of that mount is the city i live in. It is right on the edge of town. Very lucky to have a place like that so close by.

A few thoughs after 3 rides. The bike is very impressive. The ability to ride over rough terrain without need to find the smoothest line is great. The uphill climbing traction is awesome. I did have to change my riding style from what I'm used too.

. I was doing some downhilling at Mount Mckay. It's a now defunct ski hill on the reserve. No chair lifts anymore. You have to push your bike up. Takes about 15 mins of walking/pushing to get to the first plateau. It's a anything goes, use at your own risk kinda place.

The bike took some getting used to trying to get through tight, twisty, downhill terrain. I wanted to ride it like a lightweight hardtail. I got myself in trouble a couple times thinking a sudden flick would change direction. There was a slight delay...lol..before it changed direction. You could feel the tires flex and load up before they decided to change direction.

Obviously the fat tires don't equal suspension. No damping. Equal opposite reaction kinda thing. Riding hard and fast through a downhill rocky section had the bike bouncing around scarily at times. Mind you, I would of probably ridden through it slower on my regular hardtail anways.

mtbr member
    Once you get your psi dialed in, you'll love the Cush and not get so much rebound bounce.
    I am a lightweight female who is short as well. I ride mine at darn near flat! Well, maybe 5psi or so. I dunno for sure, I sit on mine & let enough air out to let the sidewalls start to bow out a bit(but not so much that you see the sidewall threading lines wrinkle). That gives me full tread width with minimal bounce and great traction without feeling too flat and hard to peddle. I do run higher psi on pavement, otherwise she is a bear to peddle far & quickly.

Geordie biker
    Fantastic pics!
    2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

Smash Mode: ON
    I didn't realize they were putting nates on the back of those now. Lucky for you!
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Once you get your psi dialed in, you'll love the Cush and not get so much rebound bounce.
    I am a lightweight female who is short as well. I ride mine at darn near flat! Well, maybe 5psi or so. I dunno for sure, I sit on mine & let enough air out to let the sidewalls start to bow out a bit(but not so much that you see the sidewall threading lines wrinkle). That gives me full tread width with minimal bounce and great traction without feeling too flat and hard to peddle. I do run higher psi on pavement, otherwise she is a bear to peddle far & quickly.
    Yeah. As I've read on this forum. Small psi changes make a huge difference. To sound like a broken record. I will try them softer next ride. Just makes me slighty nervous as I don't have any spare tubes as of yet....lol

Was at Mount Mckay the other day doing some riding. I thought the pressure was low but they bounced around a lot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got a Necro Pugs two weeks ago and have had some time on it, pressure is really key to having a good time off road, I think I was running at about 10psi on my Nate/ Larry and it did alright while rolling well enough, for different conditions I'd pressure up or down depending and thus I keep a pump with me; but it is also important to get used to the turning -you may have sorta noticed it turns by how you lean the bike and your lower body much more than how you try to reign it in with the handle bars, and it can be dependent on what angle the terrain you are going over is at. This effect is much easier to get a feel for when you are on paved roads and turning down side streets at decent speeds. Get used to this while running at a comfortable pressure and you should be able to handle the bike great over most terrain.

Have fun out there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9 View Post
    I got a Necro Pugs two weeks ago and have had some time on it, pressure is really key to having a good time off road, I think I was running at about 10psi on my Nate/ Larry and it did alright while rolling well enough, for different conditions I'd pressure up or down depending and thus I keep a pump with me; but it is also important to get used to the turning -you may have sorta noticed it turns by how you lean the bike and your lower body much more than how you try to reign it in with the handle bars, and it can be dependent on what angle the terrain you are going over is at. This effect is much easier to get a feel for when you are on paved roads and turning down side streets at decent speeds. Get used to this while running at a comfortable pressure and you should be able to handle the bike great over most terrain.

Have fun out there!
    Thanks for the advice. I don't have a gauge yet. Just going by feel. Working things out.

I've been going to Mount Mckay right after work. It's dark at 6pm now so i head right there and push my bike up and ride down a couple of times.

I'm not loving the thumb shifters. The last time I used a set was probably 1992...lol. I put on a set of Deore rapid fire shifters today. Although for winter I will probably switch to GripShift.

Couple vids from Mount Mckay...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Cool videos!

As you spoke about in the first video, good to hear you getting heads first into mountainbiking again several years "off". And blaming the fatbike for it is a good thing. Heck, it should be some kind of income tax deduction or something for these kind of bikes.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I'm 160-165 lbs plus my gear, and I've found my Nates' "happy place" for dry singletrack - 6.5psi front /7.5psi rear. I think i could probably go even 1/2 psi lower without any issues, but i usually ride to and from the trailheads, and even commute on the bike once a week or so. 6.5/7.5 is already pretty slow rolling on pavement, and i just don't want to go lower...

mtbr member
    I weight about the same as you JChasse. As soon as I get a accurate gauge I will pump in those numbers. haha

Forecast......

There is a Colorado low coming our way. Hit or miss this time of year. Could be white or just wet. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

mtbr member
    Had the day off work on Monday. Went for a mini-adventure.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    nice necro vids! I love mine too, I just need to figure out if I can fit a Bud/Lou combo on there

SHF
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Cool videos, man, I am jealous of all you guys with such beautiful trails close to home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    HOLY CRAP!!!
    I'm in Thunder Bay as well...and I recently purchased a necro myself!!!
    Want to ride sometime???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
    HOLY CRAP!!!
    I'm in Thunder Bay as well...and I recently purchased a necro myself!!!
    Want to ride sometime???

Hey MrClean. Sure I'd be up for a ride. Was at Centennial Park today. There was an actual dusting of snow!!!

mtbr member
    So I'm about 2 weeks into my first ever fat bike experience.

I've learned you just have to relax and enjoy the ride. The bike isn't about precision and slice and dice. The bike just says, take it easy, trust me. I will get you there.

I had my first flat tire on it. I had to stand on the tire to break the bead..lol It was a slow leak and I was lucky to be able to repair it at home. I'm not looking forward to having do it outdoors, especially in winter.

Did some exploring on the shore of lake superior....

Laramie, Wyoming
    I had one flat before I decided I had to do something different. It's not that I thought it was difficult to fix although it takes a lot of air, I just don't want to be fixing flats while I ride.

I've changed both of my tires over to tubeless and I won't go back.

Geordie biker
    awesome stuff, keep it up ;-)
    2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast