Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

My Surly Necromancer Experience Thread

Well on Thursday I joined the fatty club. I picked up a Necromancer. I'm starting this thread to detail my ownership experience. I'll post pics and thoughts and rants and videos of my time with my big fatty.

A few pics to get things started....

mtbr member
    Wow, that is some tough looking terrain you have there. Nice looking bike.

mtbr member
    The unveiling video......

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cy11Ca0cNxk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Congrats on your new ride!

mtbr member
    nice! I have one myself, you will totally love the snot out of it! Congrats!

mtbr member
    Talk about a rock garden.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys,

That is Mount Mckay in the picture. It's on the Fort William First Nation reserve. On the other side of that mount is the city i live in. It is right on the edge of town. Very lucky to have a place like that so close by.

A few thoughs after 3 rides. The bike is very impressive. The ability to ride over rough terrain without need to find the smoothest line is great. The uphill climbing traction is awesome. I did have to change my riding style from what I'm used too.

. I was doing some downhilling at Mount Mckay. It's a now defunct ski hill on the reserve. No chair lifts anymore. You have to push your bike up. Takes about 15 mins of walking/pushing to get to the first plateau. It's a anything goes, use at your own risk kinda place.

The bike took some getting used to trying to get through tight, twisty, downhill terrain. I wanted to ride it like a lightweight hardtail. I got myself in trouble a couple times thinking a sudden flick would change direction. There was a slight delay...lol..before it changed direction. You could feel the tires flex and load up before they decided to change direction.

Obviously the fat tires don't equal suspension. No damping. Equal opposite reaction kinda thing. Riding hard and fast through a downhill rocky section had the bike bouncing around scarily at times. Mind you, I would of probably ridden through it slower on my regular hardtail anways.

mtbr member
    Once you get your psi dialed in, you'll love the Cush and not get so much rebound bounce.
    I am a lightweight female who is short as well. I ride mine at darn near flat! Well, maybe 5psi or so. I dunno for sure, I sit on mine & let enough air out to let the sidewalls start to bow out a bit(but not so much that you see the sidewall threading lines wrinkle). That gives me full tread width with minimal bounce and great traction without feeling too flat and hard to peddle. I do run higher psi on pavement, otherwise she is a bear to peddle far & quickly.

Geordie biker
    Fantastic pics!
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

Smash Mode: ON
    I didn't realize they were putting nates on the back of those now. Lucky for you!
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Once you get your psi dialed in, you'll love the Cush and not get so much rebound bounce.
    I am a lightweight female who is short as well. I ride mine at darn near flat! Well, maybe 5psi or so. I dunno for sure, I sit on mine & let enough air out to let the sidewalls start to bow out a bit(but not so much that you see the sidewall threading lines wrinkle). That gives me full tread width with minimal bounce and great traction without feeling too flat and hard to peddle. I do run higher psi on pavement, otherwise she is a bear to peddle far & quickly.
    Yeah. As I've read on this forum. Small psi changes make a huge difference. To sound like a broken record. I will try them softer next ride. Just makes me slighty nervous as I don't have any spare tubes as of yet....lol

Was at Mount Mckay the other day doing some riding. I thought the pressure was low but they bounced around a lot.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qXhvQAeYAF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got a Necro Pugs two weeks ago and have had some time on it, pressure is really key to having a good time off road, I think I was running at about 10psi on my Nate/ Larry and it did alright while rolling well enough, for different conditions I'd pressure up or down depending and thus I keep a pump with me; but it is also important to get used to the turning -you may have sorta noticed it turns by how you lean the bike and your lower body much more than how you try to reign it in with the handle bars, and it can be dependent on what angle the terrain you are going over is at. This effect is much easier to get a feel for when you are on paved roads and turning down side streets at decent speeds. Get used to this while running at a comfortable pressure and you should be able to handle the bike great over most terrain.

Have fun out there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9 View Post
    I got a Necro Pugs two weeks ago and have had some time on it, pressure is really key to having a good time off road, I think I was running at about 10psi on my Nate/ Larry and it did alright while rolling well enough, for different conditions I'd pressure up or down depending and thus I keep a pump with me; but it is also important to get used to the turning -you may have sorta noticed it turns by how you lean the bike and your lower body much more than how you try to reign it in with the handle bars, and it can be dependent on what angle the terrain you are going over is at. This effect is much easier to get a feel for when you are on paved roads and turning down side streets at decent speeds. Get used to this while running at a comfortable pressure and you should be able to handle the bike great over most terrain.

Have fun out there!
    Thanks for the advice. I don't have a gauge yet. Just going by feel. Working things out.

I've been going to Mount Mckay right after work. It's dark at 6pm now so i head right there and push my bike up and ride down a couple of times.

I'm not loving the thumb shifters. The last time I used a set was probably 1992...lol. I put on a set of Deore rapid fire shifters today. Although for winter I will probably switch to GripShift.

Couple vids from Mount Mckay...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dpRczK2ZnFs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MuiyuMiXmSg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Cool videos!

As you spoke about in the first video, good to hear you getting heads first into mountainbiking again several years "off". And blaming the fatbike for it is a good thing. Heck, it should be some kind of income tax deduction or something for these kind of bikes.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I'm 160-165 lbs plus my gear, and I've found my Nates' "happy place" for dry singletrack - 6.5psi front /7.5psi rear. I think i could probably go even 1/2 psi lower without any issues, but i usually ride to and from the trailheads, and even commute on the bike once a week or so. 6.5/7.5 is already pretty slow rolling on pavement, and i just don't want to go lower...

mtbr member
    I weight about the same as you JChasse. As soon as I get a accurate gauge I will pump in those numbers. haha

Forecast......

There is a Colorado low coming our way. Hit or miss this time of year. Could be white or just wet. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

mtbr member
    Had the day off work on Monday. Went for a mini-adventure.....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TQrPe_-TO-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    nice necro vids! I love mine too, I just need to figure out if I can fit a Bud/Lou combo on there

SHF
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Cool videos, man, I am jealous of all you guys with such beautiful trails close to home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    HOLY CRAP!!!
    I'm in Thunder Bay as well...and I recently purchased a necro myself!!!
    Want to ride sometime???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
    HOLY CRAP!!!
    I'm in Thunder Bay as well...and I recently purchased a necro myself!!!
    Want to ride sometime???

Hey MrClean. Sure I'd be up for a ride. Was at Centennial Park today. There was an actual dusting of snow!!!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0e0otOh7X-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    So I'm about 2 weeks into my first ever fat bike experience.

I've learned you just have to relax and enjoy the ride. The bike isn't about precision and slice and dice. The bike just says, take it easy, trust me. I will get you there.

I had my first flat tire on it. I had to stand on the tire to break the bead..lol It was a slow leak and I was lucky to be able to repair it at home. I'm not looking forward to having do it outdoors, especially in winter.

Did some exploring on the shore of lake superior....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ThV4UBJhduY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Laramie, Wyoming
    I had one flat before I decided I had to do something different. It's not that I thought it was difficult to fix although it takes a lot of air, I just don't want to be fixing flats while I ride.

I've changed both of my tires over to tubeless and I won't go back.

Geordie biker
    awesome stuff, keep it up ;-)
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Well it finally happened. Sudden change in weather. About a foot and a half of mildly damp snow. Took my Big Fatty out and put it to the test. Did the same route as my last posted video with a friend so we could both climb that sweet mountain with a buddy in case one of us got hurt. An hour ride in and 30 mins to climb up. Nice 3 hour day of fun cardio.

I have a fair bit of winter riding experience. Of course, all on standard mountain bikes. The capabilities of my Big Fatty are certainly higher. My friend was riding on 1.95inch tires. He sliced through the snow with more ease, but his bike was skittish and unstable. It didn't help it was rocky terrain underneath.

I could feel the extra energy it took to move/displace the snow in front of the front wheel. But the bike was stable and as long as you kept the power going into the pedals it just kept chugging along.

We need more snow so that the snowmoblies get out and pack down all the trails around here. So looking forward to riding those....

Sorry some of the pics are hazy. There was moisture on the lens from carrying my phone in my chest pocket to keep it from getting too cold.

mtbr member
    Tale of 2 trails.....lol

On the left my buddy with 1.95" treads and no snow riding experience. On the right. Me and my Big Fatty.

nothing to see here
    Nice pics!
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Well it got warm and melted all the snow and got cold and snowed again. I got my lbs to order me a clownshoe rim and surly hub and a bud 4.8. They got it all built up. I picked up the wheel today, but haven't ridden it. Other than a quick test outside the shop.

Pics for proof.

That rim is wide!

My new bud!

She is wide!

This picture puts it all into perspective. Bud 4.8 and Larry 3.8

She is a fair bit taller too!

Obligatory clearence shot! Moonlander fork obviously.

Stacked a spacer on top to see if it would help now that the front end is higher.

Real ride report coming tomorrow!

Nice try
    Nov 2012
    Sickness!! And nice flame throwers too. Always nice to ride in daylight conditions!

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    I'm really interested to hear about your experience with the two different front ends. I own a Necro as well and have been wondering about the benefits of an even fatter front. Let me/us know when you've got more riding time using the two fronts in different snow conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for sharing the pics, Keski. I just picked up a Necro frame and parts have been slowly showing up for my build. Got our first big snow here this past weekend and am looking forward to riding out there.
    Surly Pugsley, Salsa El Mariachi, Salsa Vaya

Part time bag/pogie maker:
    http://wanderlust-gear.com

mtbr member

Another "New" Necro owner...

This is a great thread! I, too just got a new Necro a couple of weeks ago. I only have 2 rides on it so far. One in fairly dry conditions to get a feel for it and the 2nd in the muddiest/sloppiest conditions available to me.
    It was an absolute blast riding it in the slop. It just "trucked" through everything. The traction was amazing while climbing. I can't wait to get it out in the snow.
    Keep the updates coming and continue with the videos...They are great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Surly Necromancer Experience Thread-12-1-12-first-ride.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just a blurb about my my new front wheel.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CNyA6KKvVBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    I just got one for christmas and it works so much nicer than my old mountain bike with studded tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Surly Necromancer Experience Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just ordered my frame Last night!! All I need is a bottom bracket and a rear wheel - and the pugs world is mine!

Great photos - except those temps... it is 54 here today and we have a fire in the fireplace!
    West Coast - south!
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

mtbr member
    Well took my Big Fatty on a ride to the Amethyst Mine Panorama. The largest Amethyst mine in North America. Which isn't saying much. Drove my car about an hour outside the city. Parked at the turn off to East Loon Lake and started my ride from there.

First half of the ride was hard packed snow on a gravel road. Easy peasy. Last half was the road to the mine and it's not maintained in the winter. Lucky for me one snowmobile had gone out and back. Gave me a decently packed trail to ride. It would not have been rideable with out their tracks.

There is a brutal for around these parts final climb. 15-20% in sections. Tough enough to climb as a gravel road in summer let alone in winter snow. The snowmobile turned around at the bottom of the hill and didn't go up! I managed to ride 99.999% of the ride to the base of the climb. But I had to hoof it on foot up. But got to ride down. Other than animal tracks mine were the first human foot prints and tire tracks up the hill in weeks.

Video of the ride coming soon!

The first part of the climb.

The left hand bend and the final pitch. Actually is does go up some more at a less intense incline after. But I was done with pushing my bike. Definately going back this summer to climb it and blast down it.

View from the cresting of the steepest bit.

View from the lookout....

mtbr member
    Video for the above ride.....Part 1

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/41JwjJ4qZqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Part 2.....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O3sqIF6KdoE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    I made the mistake of renting one... well now I own one. Crazy fun to ride.

-Joe

mtbr member
    ok, i should have not seen this thread

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    ok, i should have not seen this thread
    I was thinking the same thing...

mtbr member
    Just going through my puter. Found a few pics that I didn't think were worth posting after I took them. Mind you the first one turned out pretty damn sweet. Not bad for a cell phone pic!

Enjoying other peoples Necro Experience content too. Feel free to add more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hey man, what size is yours? how tall are you?

i am 5'8" and got the 16", i was a little wary of it. i think overall it fits but i need a little more leg room so i bought a 400mm seat post. with the standard 350mm post at the max height level, i think i need another 1/2" of height, apart from that, with a 100mm stem it fits great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    hey man, what size is yours? how tall are you?

i am 5'8" and got the 16", i was a little wary of it. i think overall it fits but i need a little more leg room so i bought a 400mm seat post. with the standard 350mm post at the max height level, i think i need another 1/2" of height, apart from that, with a 100mm stem it fits great!
    I'm a towering 5 feet 6 inches. I got the xs 14.0" size. Nice and compact for a fat bike. Kept the stock seatpost. I hated the stock handlebars. Swapped those for some mild sweep carbon xc bars. I wanted a longer stem and I had the stock Easton EA50 stem off my Yeti cross bike laying around and it worked out perfect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P. View Post
    I was thinking the same thing...
    +1 Saw a post on reddit's /r/bicycling/ about a pugsley and then have been buried in this forum the last few days. I really want a pugsley =)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Took my Necro out for it's first real ride in the bush today at Gap Creek, first time there and fat bikes are fairly rare in my neck of the woods, you wouldn't believe the number of strange looks, comments and questions i got!
    As for the ride, i had a blast! Unfortunately though i met up with some friends who all run 29ers and i was left wanting up some of the climbs, (to be specific, my fitness was lacking) but had a great time otherwise.
    I think i'll be drilling my rims and running some lighter tube to help out a bit, otherwise, i had a blast!

mtbr member
    Just a fun bit downhill from my ride today......

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tT8w6MNyVWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Keski View Post
    Just going through my puter. Found a few pics that I didn't think were worth posting after I took them. Mind you the first one turned out pretty damn sweet. Not bad for a cell phone pic!

Enjoying other peoples Necro Experience content too. Feel free to add more.

I really like this photo. It looks like the Lady of the Lake is issuing Necromancers now instead of archaic bits of cutlery.
    Last edited by Saw; 01-24-2013 at 08:32 AM.

mtbr member
    I live on the shores of Lake Superior. There are a couple of mountainous beautiful islands about 11kms off-shore that have been calling my fat bikes name. I want to ride out to one of them. One of the islands is in the picture in the above post.

The winter started like a lamb. We got decent snow a couple times and then had it melt away each time. Milder than normal temps We had a nice little blizzard this past weekend and now we are back into a deep freeze. A week or 2 of this and it might be worth an attempt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast