Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Winter returns down on our end of the lake, too, with 4 inches of snow and the same cold. I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease ...
    If this cold spell makes enough ice, I have my eye on riding to the sea caves in Apostle Islands National Lakeshore in Wisconsin. Rivers along the shore between Duluth and Thunder Bay should be ridable, too, with the cold and more snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've been thinking about getting a clown shoe for the front of my necromancer to flatten the profile of my Bud. Does anyone know if the existing spokes would be the correct length for a clown shoe?

Though for the difference in pricing I've seen I might just get a second front wheel instead of pulling apart my Darryl.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sweet pics and vids! Good to know you like the bike. I just purchased parts to build up a necromancer as well. The last part comes in tomorrow! I put a clown shoe rim the the big fat larry on the front. Going up to my cabin this weekend to ride it on the frozen lake. Should be a good time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gecho View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a clown shoe for the front of my necromancer to flatten the profile of my Bud. Does anyone know if the existing spokes would be the correct length for a clown shoe?

Though for the difference in pricing I've seen I might just get a second front wheel instead of pulling apart my Darryl.
    I got my lbs to write the spoke length on my bill just in case. Clownshoe rim with a Surly front hub. He used 263 and 264.

mtbr member
    Well it has been a strange winter. Last week we broke a record with an overnight low of -36.5c/-33.7f before windchill. Then just a few days later it was above freezing. Happily we have a decent amount of snow. Could use more though.

Went for a ride at Silver Falls Provincial Park. There is a sweet curvy downhill that I discovered snowshoeing there. So I went back with my fat bike. Turns out the steepest sections were not rideable. Plus some of the corners were too tight, so I had to foot dab a few of them. Still had fun though!

Video footage of the downhill. Other than 50 meters of the steep side hill section.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HZfDo9kzSxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    I have had my current Necromancer since June. I recently took it in to my LBS because I couldn't get the front hub adjusted properly. Turns out the front bearings are shot. I realize I've ridden the bike pretty hard for 7 months. However that doesn't seem like a very long bearing life. Is mine a fluke or are any of you having trouble as well?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I ended up ordering a pre-built clown shoe from ebay. Today I took it for its first ride with a Bud tire. The difference from a Darryl was immediately noticeable but not at all in the way I was expecting. The handling was improved and the bike felt better while cornering.

I think this is because there is less lateral movement of tire in respect to the rim. With the Darryl if I was stopped with the front brake on, I could get a lot of forward / back and side to side movement by pushing on the handlebars. Most of that play was gone with the clown shoe. The Bud also seemed a lot less bouncy on the clown shoe, feeling a little bumpier on rough paths.

As an added bonus, the tire profile has been flattened enough that I no longer have toe overlap with the front wheel. I'm very pleased with the upgrade.

Of course now it will make me crave a frame that can take a clown shoe and Lou in the rear for next winter.

mtbr member
    I used a single calculator and found the following:

Rolling Darryl & Surly New Rear Disc hub: 261 / 261.4
    Clown Shoe & New Rear Disc hub: 261.2 / 261.5

The Clown Shoe has a larger ERD, but the spoke beds are also further apart to negate that, so using the same spokes should not be a problem.

EDIT: Had the tab open and you managed to post before me. Well, looks like you made the right choice!

mtbr member

Re: My Surly Necromancer Experience Thread

The surly bearings kinda suck,there is some better ones to be had from LBS
    upgrade them before they are shot otherwise they are a bi*ch to get out.
    Think dremal tool

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Went out to the family camp/cottage this past weekend. Kinda kicking myself for not going out earlier this winter. Some sweet riding to be had out there. We had a warm spell recently and then back to the cold. It really hardened things up. Best riding of the winter so far.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JrZnZAuHbYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Miss me?

Well winter is on the way out. I didn't get out this winter as much as I had planned. But frigid temps can have that affect. Sometimes you just get the winter blahs.

Early spring transitional time. Wet, sloppy snow and wet, sloppy mud. Not much fun to ride in. Hopefully things melt and dry up fast.

So time to make some upgrades. I found the 36 front chainring by 34 tooth rear combo not quite easy enough in the snow. I spent a lot of time in the gear and up any grade of note I would of liked a 36 rear cog instead of having to drop into the granny up front.

So time to upgrade to 10 speed. Last year I converted my Yeti Arc-X cross bike to flat bar for the summer. Went back to road bars on it this year. So I had a sweet set of Easton EC90 flat bars and EC90 Barends laying around. Also had the 10 speed shifters the bike used. So I had those moved over to my Necro. Added a XT rear mech and 11-36 10 speed cassette.

Ready to rock with less need to drop into the granny.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't think I've shifted out of the granny in my last 1,000km of riding.

mtbr member
    Here's my experience. I demo'd a Moon lander three times and loved it. LBS had a Necro and after a lot of research bought it. After one ride I realized the Larry's on Rolling Daryls didn't cut it or me on softer trails. Plus it was a firmer ride. Talked to the LBS and traded up to the Moon lander. I just wanted more float.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    So much for spring. Glad I have this bike so I actually look forward to riding in these condition.

The Railway Tunnel of Death! Revisited!

I don't think I've shifted out of the granny in my last 1,000km of riding.
    I was confused by that too. I rarely ever shift into the big gear unless I'm on the road for awhile. I'm not sure if its great for the chainline to be in big gear, big gear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I was confused by that too. I rarely ever shift into the big gear unless I'm on the road for awhile. I'm not sure if its great for the chainline to be in big gear, big gear?
    Well the 'big ring' is mounted in the middle chainring position. Should I not have use of all 10 gears? I tend to ride it like a 1 by ten. Everything seems to function fine. Granny is a bailout.

mtbr member
    I've understood that the granny position is eliminated and what's left is the middle position (small chainring, attaches to crank) and big ring position (larger one, attaches to the smaller one). So in terms of size we have a granny and middle chainring, but in terms of chainline we have a middle and big ring. The idea was to shift chainline outboard to pass large tires, so it wouldn't be much use to just eliminate the big ring position. I run my 1x9 Moonlander with a small 26t chainring and bash guard. If I had a bigger ring on it I'd avoid the big-big combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Keski View Post
    Well the 'big ring' is mounted in the middle chainring position. Should I not have use of all 10 gears? I tend to ride it like a 1 by ten. Everything seems to function fine. Granny is a bailout.
    You must ride pretty open fast trails then. Everyone I ride with is usually in the small front ring running like a 1x9 (or 10) on the singletrack trails we have in the twin cities. Saul is right on the MWOD, its middle ring & big ring. You should check how jacked forward your rear derailleur gets when you are in big/big. I don't think its ideal for your drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    You must ride pretty open fast trails then. Everyone I ride with is usually in the small front ring running like a 1x9 (or 10) on the singletrack trails we have in the twin cities. Saul is right on the MWOD, its middle ring & big ring. You should check how jacked forward your rear derailleur gets when you are in big/big. I don't think its ideal for your drivetrain.

Yeah. I do most of my off-road winter riding on trails made by snowmobiles.

Well even if it is considered the big ring it is only a 36 tooth. It is closer to a standard 32 tooth middle than a standard 42 tooth big ring that the XT rear was designed to work with. The XT rear isn't ominously jacked forward in the 36/36 combo. Take a look at the picture in my previous post. It is in the 36/36 combo. My LBS mech said it would work. I believe him.

It is in the 36/36 combo. My LBS mech said it would work. I believe him.
    I don't see a pic in 36/36. I'm sure it is fine... it's just that when you fit a chain properly, you run it around big/big without going through the derailleur and then add two links after the spot where the chain meets (no matter what size the derailleur is 'meant' for)... so once you get through the derailleur it is a pretty tight fit and strain on the derailleur. The big gear still being in the outer position also puts it at a sharp angle. If it works, it works though... so ride on

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Slightly off topic, but we're talking about the same thing. I have always run triples .When in the middle up front I always take advantage of the of the whole cassette, which I think most people do. But never using the big front w/ the low rear combinations.
    My question is I have bought a Surly Krampus. With the 3" tires a granny isn't possible ,similar to a fat bike. Since I am building the bike I'm planning on using the stock 29er wheels off my spare bike, which allows the use of a granny since the tires do not interfere with the chain line. My decision is to run a 22/32 bash. The 32 front 36 rear is a combo I will be using a lot. But as stated above, the r/der appears a little stressed forward. It still has plenty play left. I'm used to a triple, when in the middle the der is nearly vertical when running low gears. Is this an issue

Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    I'm used to a triple, when in the middle the der is nearly vertical when running low gears. Is this an issue
    Do you mean horizontal? Like this...

Here is a good Park tool article on chain lengths and where you derailleur should be.

In big/big, you should still have a bend in the chain on the derailleur pulleys:

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    With a triple the chain is sized big front/ big rear + 2. Now drop the chain to the middle ring front the r/ der is slack and in near vertical position in the 36. With a double the chain is measured middle front big rear + 2. Now the der looks similar to the second shot but not quite as extreme.
    I'm using the mobile phone and appear to be babbling

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm running an 11-34 10 speed rear and a 44/32/22 triple on the front on my Necro, and on the Big Front and Big Rear my derailluer looks like none of the photos above, my SLX long cage is no where near that far forward.

My 44T/11-34 9speed bike doesn't look like either up top as well. My derailluer has no trouble on the small-small either but it is pretty much full up, not that I can ever imagine needing small-small, might as well walk at this point.

mtbr member
    The notion of avoiding a "big-big" combo isn't about chainring and sprocket sizes, but chainline.

It's fairly easy to check: the center of the cassette of a modern MTB should be 52-53 mm off the centerline. Add 17.5 mm offset and you're at 70 mm. Which one of your chainrings is 70 mm off the centerline of the bike? That's the one you can use as if your drivetrain was 1x10. Obviously you can use the other one as a 1x10 as well, but it's usually not recommended.

mtbr member
    Well another week and another snow storm. Winter doesn't want to leave this area.

Saturday I threw my fat bike in the back of my car and drove 100 km's outside of the city. I figured the gravel roads would not be plowed until later and be white and snow covered when I got there. I was part right. Some sections were beautiful white. Others were plowed and becoming a muddy mess.

I did a 3 hour hilly ride on quiet country gravel roads. It was a slow slog. Through the snowy sections and the plowed sections. The gravel roads are thawing and soft and damp. I wasn't enjoying myself the last quarter of the ride. But after I was done the feeling of accomplishment was nice. Felt mildly epic.

I had planned on doing one of my patented boring 20 min vlogs. But I forgot my second memory card. I got some footage from the first half I thought was worth posting. Your opinion might vary.

Saw a few Bald Eagles.....

mtbr member
    Gosh darn my bike got filthy too.....

Dirty car and filthy bike.....

Filthy Bike......

Mix of mud and ice..

mtbr member
    There is one long(long for around here) winding, gradual downhill section on the ride that was still snow covered. I rode it like single track . Since someone had been down it in a truck/Suv. I used one of their tire tracks. The snow was heavy and wet so if I went off track the handling was sketchy. I think I found a snow condition the fat bike does not like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Saw a beautiful bald eagle in a tree close to shore on a lake in Boundary Waters, MN.
    I sang the National Anthem to the bird who seemed to listen and take note
    Beautiful creatures.

mtbr member
    May 2nd, 2013. In Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. Winter go away! I want to do some no snow fat biking now!

Thingamejigger
    +21oC in London today, glorious Sunshine.... off out in my shorts and t shirt for a play abound.... just looking at that snow is making me shiver! :-)

mtbr member
    Haven't been riding my fat bike much lately. Trying to be more 'serious' about my riding. Trying to take off the winter weight and slowly succeeding. I generally would consider myself in shape for only 2 months of the year. July and August. That has been the cycle for the past few years. Been riding my Cannondale F4000sl and my Yeti ARC-X cross bike. My favourite kind of riding is hard hilly gravel road rides. We have great riding for that around here.

I will try and do one off-road fat bike mountain bike ride a week. I did go this past Saturday to Shuniah Mines. Some decent single track to be found there and it is right on the edge of town. I could ride there from my door in 20-25mins.

At slow to medium speeds, I was very impressed with Clown Shoe and Bud 4.8 front wheel. Over small to medium sized roots and rocks I didn't feel the need for suspension. The bike handled well enough in the tighter stuff. Doesn't like slow speed tight turns.

mtbr member
    Been enjoying some singletrack with my fat bike......

Sweet Singletrack #1. Well as sweet as we have around here anyways.....

This will be a continuing series. Until I run out of singletrack.

mtbr member
    By popular demand.... Actually there has been no demand. I made that part up. But here it is anyways....

Sweet Singletrack #2.......

mtbr member
    The best for last. Well the best piece of singletrack I filmed on the day I took these vids. This is a new piece of trail I recently discovered. Oodles of fun. The 5 inch wide front tire is almost too fat for some sections....

Sweet Singletrack #3 .....

mtbr member
    Well on Saturday I headed out to Mount Mckay on the Fort William First Nations Reserve. I wanted to explore the backside of the mountain as there is a quad/snowmobile trail that I think I can make a winter snow loop to ride this winter. The reserve and mountain are on the edge of town. I can throw my bike in my car and be there in 20/25mins.

About halfway up the mountain there is a ridgeline. If I can make it across by bike that would offer a easier loop option. The second loop option has some brutal uphill/ downhill to deal with. Not complaining. Just not always looking for brutal.

Pointing out the ridgeline

I rode along a quad trail along the base of the mountain to get to the gravel road that goes up to the Mount Mckay Lookout. The trail entrance is part way up. Of course the most brutal part of the climb is the beginning.

The blue shack give you an idea of the grade..

I get passed by a tour bus on the steepest section lol.....

The grade slackens after but it's still tough....

I reach the toll booth, but bicycles don't have to pay. I guess they figure it you're will to ride all the way up you deserve a free visit....hahaha..

stay tuned. more to come.......

mtbr member
    I found the trail. I don't have any photos from that section but it is on the video that will be posted at the end. Plus the lens on my camera got sweat on it and the video is hazy through that section.

We made it around the backside to the old Mount Mckay ski hill. It has been closed since the 80's but parts of the old lifts are still standing..

This was a T-bar lift I believe...

A fatbike and a rusty pole...

The view from the ski hill is quite stunning....

Part of the old main chairlift.....

stay tuned...more to come.....

mtbr member
    Before I attack the ridgeline. I check out one of Mount Mckay's rock gardens. Bits of rock have been falling off for thousands of years and created this rock pile. It almost looks man made in it's perfection...

stay tuned...more to come....

mtbr member
    I attempt to ride the ridgeline. Unfortunately very little of it can be ridden. In fact it's a challenging hike on it's own. Let alone carrying/pushing a 36 pound fat bike with you..hahahaha

It runs right along a cliff face. You are never more than a few feet away from a sheer drop...

Some sections involve bouldering over rocks the size of a suv. I bent my front disc when the bike fell over not as I had planned...lol

I tried to straighten it. With Limited success..

That is a sheer drop on the left...lol

Eventually it got too dangerous to drag a bike through. I had to turn around...

mtbr member
    I make it back to the top of the ski hill. I was exhausted from heaving the bike over and under along the ridgeline. I made a last attempt to straighten the disc since I have a 5 minute downhill back to my car. Didn't want my brakes to fail...

And now the part you've all been dreading. The video of it all!!!

mtbr member
    Just a fun bit of quad trail downhill from my Mount Mckay Adventure..

mtbr member
    Fun video (previous). This last one says private. Didn't think I'd watch the 30 mins plus of it, but the narration made it interesting enough to make it feel like I was there.
    Edit. Watched almost all of the vids. Good time! Thanks for sharing. Insomnia type of night.
    Last edited by thickfog; 08-12-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Thinking about a Necro Pug for the fall. A couple questions if you wouldn't mind:

What does your Necro Pug weigh? Not that weight is a huge factor on a fat bike, but I am curious.
    Do you really need a third ring up front on a bike this heavy? Would dropping the big ring be a good option?
    How does the bike handle on snowless trails?

mtbr member
    1) weight- no clue. Sorry
    2) necro doesnt come with a third ring. Mine came with a 22/36 combo
    3) handles well on dirt, gravel, sand, grass, etc. rides like a mtb bike and feels light to ride than it looks.

mtbr member
    Another weekend and another North Western Ontario Mini Adventure. I didn't take any pictures. Just video.

The ride did include the most brutal uphill I have ridden this year. It was on a gravel road that leads to Loch Lomond. Not that Loch Lomond. It use to be the water supply lake for part of the city. Loch Lomond (Ontario) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Parts of the hill are so steep that they paved the main portion so that service vehicles could actually drive up it. The paved section is falling apart and is not longer maintained. Makes for a knarly climb and a slightly scary descent....

mtbr member
    Just the slightly sketchy descent.....Not 30 mins of me droning on....

mtbr member

Re: My Surly Necromancer Experience Thread

Your narrated videos are what make them unique. Keep it up.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

I got the same bike about a month ago and love it. Did you frame saver it?

If you did, do I need to take everything apart or can I use the frame holes to do it?

mtbr member
    Ordered my Moonie today. Actually excited for the first snow for the first time ever!

mtbr member

My Surly Necromancer Experience Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Diaonic View Post
    I got the same bike about a month ago and love it. Did you frame saver it?

If you did, do I need to take everything apart or can I use the frame holes to do it?
    Take it apart.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast