Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Well it finally happened. Sudden change in weather. About a foot and a half of mildly damp snow. Took my Big Fatty out and put it to the test. Did the same route as my last posted video with a friend so we could both climb that sweet mountain with a buddy in case one of us got hurt. An hour ride in and 30 mins to climb up. Nice 3 hour day of fun cardio.

I have a fair bit of winter riding experience. Of course, all on standard mountain bikes. The capabilities of my Big Fatty are certainly higher. My friend was riding on 1.95inch tires. He sliced through the snow with more ease, but his bike was skittish and unstable. It didn't help it was rocky terrain underneath.

I could feel the extra energy it took to move/displace the snow in front of the front wheel. But the bike was stable and as long as you kept the power going into the pedals it just kept chugging along.

We need more snow so that the snowmoblies get out and pack down all the trails around here. So looking forward to riding those....

Sorry some of the pics are hazy. There was moisture on the lens from carrying my phone in my chest pocket to keep it from getting too cold.

mtbr member
    Tale of 2 trails.....lol

On the left my buddy with 1.95" treads and no snow riding experience. On the right. Me and my Big Fatty.

nothing to see here
    Nice pics!
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Well it got warm and melted all the snow and got cold and snowed again. I got my lbs to order me a clownshoe rim and surly hub and a bud 4.8. They got it all built up. I picked up the wheel today, but haven't ridden it. Other than a quick test outside the shop.

Pics for proof.

That rim is wide!

My new bud!

She is wide!

This picture puts it all into perspective. Bud 4.8 and Larry 3.8

She is a fair bit taller too!

Obligatory clearence shot! Moonlander fork obviously.

Stacked a spacer on top to see if it would help now that the front end is higher.

Real ride report coming tomorrow!

Nice try
    Nov 2012
    Sickness!! And nice flame throwers too. Always nice to ride in daylight conditions!

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    I'm really interested to hear about your experience with the two different front ends. I own a Necro as well and have been wondering about the benefits of an even fatter front. Let me/us know when you've got more riding time using the two fronts in different snow conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for sharing the pics, Keski. I just picked up a Necro frame and parts have been slowly showing up for my build. Got our first big snow here this past weekend and am looking forward to riding out there.
    Surly Pugsley, Salsa El Mariachi, Salsa Vaya

Part time bag/pogie maker:
    http://wanderlust-gear.com

mtbr member

Another "New" Necro owner...

This is a great thread! I, too just got a new Necro a couple of weeks ago. I only have 2 rides on it so far. One in fairly dry conditions to get a feel for it and the 2nd in the muddiest/sloppiest conditions available to me.
    It was an absolute blast riding it in the slop. It just "trucked" through everything. The traction was amazing while climbing. I can't wait to get it out in the snow.
    Keep the updates coming and continue with the videos...They are great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Surly Necromancer Experience Thread-12-1-12-first-ride.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just a blurb about my my new front wheel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just got one for christmas and it works so much nicer than my old mountain bike with studded tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Surly Necromancer Experience Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    I just ordered my frame Last night!! All I need is a bottom bracket and a rear wheel - and the pugs world is mine!

Great photos - except those temps... it is 54 here today and we have a fire in the fireplace!
    West Coast - south!
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

mtbr member
    Well took my Big Fatty on a ride to the Amethyst Mine Panorama. The largest Amethyst mine in North America. Which isn't saying much. Drove my car about an hour outside the city. Parked at the turn off to East Loon Lake and started my ride from there.

First half of the ride was hard packed snow on a gravel road. Easy peasy. Last half was the road to the mine and it's not maintained in the winter. Lucky for me one snowmobile had gone out and back. Gave me a decently packed trail to ride. It would not have been rideable with out their tracks.

There is a brutal for around these parts final climb. 15-20% in sections. Tough enough to climb as a gravel road in summer let alone in winter snow. The snowmobile turned around at the bottom of the hill and didn't go up! I managed to ride 99.999% of the ride to the base of the climb. But I had to hoof it on foot up. But got to ride down. Other than animal tracks mine were the first human foot prints and tire tracks up the hill in weeks.

Video of the ride coming soon!

The first part of the climb.

The left hand bend and the final pitch. Actually is does go up some more at a less intense incline after. But I was done with pushing my bike. Definately going back this summer to climb it and blast down it.

View from the cresting of the steepest bit.

View from the lookout....

mtbr member
    Video for the above ride.....Part 1

mtbr member
    Part 2.....

mtbr member
    I made the mistake of renting one... well now I own one. Crazy fun to ride.

-Joe

mtbr member
    ok, i should have not seen this thread
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    ok, i should have not seen this thread
    I was thinking the same thing...

mtbr member
    Just going through my puter. Found a few pics that I didn't think were worth posting after I took them. Mind you the first one turned out pretty damn sweet. Not bad for a cell phone pic!

Enjoying other peoples Necro Experience content too. Feel free to add more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hey man, what size is yours? how tall are you?

i am 5'8" and got the 16", i was a little wary of it. i think overall it fits but i need a little more leg room so i bought a 400mm seat post. with the standard 350mm post at the max height level, i think i need another 1/2" of height, apart from that, with a 100mm stem it fits great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    hey man, what size is yours? how tall are you?

i am 5'8" and got the 16", i was a little wary of it. i think overall it fits but i need a little more leg room so i bought a 400mm seat post. with the standard 350mm post at the max height level, i think i need another 1/2" of height, apart from that, with a 100mm stem it fits great!
    I'm a towering 5 feet 6 inches. I got the xs 14.0" size. Nice and compact for a fat bike. Kept the stock seatpost. I hated the stock handlebars. Swapped those for some mild sweep carbon xc bars. I wanted a longer stem and I had the stock Easton EA50 stem off my Yeti cross bike laying around and it worked out perfect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P. View Post
    I was thinking the same thing...
    +1 Saw a post on reddit's /r/bicycling/ about a pugsley and then have been buried in this forum the last few days. I really want a pugsley =)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Took my Necro out for it's first real ride in the bush today at Gap Creek, first time there and fat bikes are fairly rare in my neck of the woods, you wouldn't believe the number of strange looks, comments and questions i got!
    As for the ride, i had a blast! Unfortunately though i met up with some friends who all run 29ers and i was left wanting up some of the climbs, (to be specific, my fitness was lacking) but had a great time otherwise.
    I think i'll be drilling my rims and running some lighter tube to help out a bit, otherwise, i had a blast!

mtbr member
    Just a fun bit downhill from my ride today......

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Keski View Post
    Just going through my puter. Found a few pics that I didn't think were worth posting after I took them. Mind you the first one turned out pretty damn sweet. Not bad for a cell phone pic!

Enjoying other peoples Necro Experience content too. Feel free to add more.

I really like this photo. It looks like the Lady of the Lake is issuing Necromancers now instead of archaic bits of cutlery.
    Last edited by Saw; 01-24-2013 at 08:32 AM.

mtbr member
    I live on the shores of Lake Superior. There are a couple of mountainous beautiful islands about 11kms off-shore that have been calling my fat bikes name. I want to ride out to one of them. One of the islands is in the picture in the above post.

The winter started like a lamb. We got decent snow a couple times and then had it melt away each time. Milder than normal temps We had a nice little blizzard this past weekend and now we are back into a deep freeze. A week or 2 of this and it might be worth an attempt.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast