Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

My new build 616 Fabrication

Just got the frame, am so excited can't wait to get all the parts in. I have most of the parts like maybe 70% but some will take up to 10 days to get, especially the RaceFace.

Here is my build list:

Frame: 616 Fabrication Medium
    Headset: Cane Creek 110
    Wheels: Velocity Dually 45mm with 135/170 616 Hubs Fork: Carver Carbon O'Beast Tires: Surly Nate 120 TPI or Vee H-Billie going tubeless Stem: RaceFace Atlas Black 65mm
    Bars: Race Face Atlas Low Rise 31.8, 0.5" Red 785mm Grips: RaceFace Sniper Lock On Black Seatpost: RaceFace Turbine 27.2mm 400mm Saddle: RaceFace Aeffect Red
    Brakes: Shimano XT M785B x 2 Front and Back Rotors: Shimano XT Ice Tech SM-RT81 x 2
    Cranks: Race Face Turbine w/BB 100mm
    Chainring: RaceFace Single Narrow Wide 30t
    Cog: Wolf Tooth 42t GC Cog Red for Shimano
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow + M786 Medium Shifter: 10 speed Shimano XT I-Spec B Cassette: 10 speed Shimano XT M771 11-36T Chain: 10 speed KMC X-10 Ti
    Pedals: Deity Compound Pedals Black Seat Binder: Red

Bike weight should be around 25-26lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new build 616 Fabrication-photo-4.jpg  

Last edited by tomi-iv; 06-30-2014 at 05:15 PM.

mtbr member

More Pics

My new build 616 Fabrication-bike1.jpgMy new build 616 Fabrication-photo-2.jpgMy new build 616 Fabrication-photo-3.jpg

Rocking on a Rocky
    Cool cool.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    30T is a ***** gear. Especially if you're getting the wolf tooth 42T cog. Seriously get a 36T unless you have no legs at all. ( even in the winter ).

Did you go custom at all on the geo? This should be a sick bike when you get it together. Enjoy her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by giantone View Post
    30T is a ***** gear. Especially if you're getting the wolf tooth 42T cog. Seriously get a 36T unless you have no legs at all. ( even in the winter ).

Did you go custom at all on the geo? This should be a sick bike when you get it together. Enjoy her.
    Thanks!

No Custom Geo, just regular medium size.

As for my gear setup i thought 30T with 42T cog would be my perfect setup for all year round. For now i will start with the 30T and see how everything goes and if i don't like how thing turn i might switch to 36T later on.

I am wondering if a Medium Derailleur would fit fine or should i go Large?

Nuts
    This is not correct for everyone. With a 36-11 you are pulling about 30mph at a cadence of around 106. Most people do not need that on a fat bike in the winter at least where I live.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You cray? I see you live in MI so I cannot question the winter conditions, but there are a lot of really good riders around here...and NONE of them have ditched the double up front for winter riding.

ouch....
    Exactly....
    You want easier gearing for winter or climbing.... A 36 up front without a granny sounds no fun.
    In planning a 28 up front.... I'm never pedaling when I'm going that fast in single track anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    This is not correct for everyone. With a 36-11 you are pulling about 30mph at a cadence of around 106. Most people do not need that on a fat bike in the winter at least where I live.
    Riding.....

ouch....
    Nice bike op!!
    Riding.....

Nuts
    Yeah sweet bike op!! Oh and I run a 28 with a 42x10 out back.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Nice bike op!!
    Yeah sweet bike op!! Oh and I run a 28 with a 42x10 out back.
    Thanks both of you.

bdundee does medium cage derailleur would work with my setup?

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi-iv View Post

bdundee does medium cage derailleur would work with my setup?
    Yup perfect, the only time you need a long cage is usually for a 3X chainring system and not sure if you would ever need one on a 2X I doubt it but without doing the math I can't be sure. Basically a long is used when there is substantial amount of range between the highest and lowest gears to help take up the chain slack.
    And I love beer!!

Nuts
    To much info for a cool bike build thread.
    -
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    You cray? I see you live in MI so I cannot question the winter conditions, but there are a lot of really good riders around here...and NONE of them have ditched the double up front for winter riding.
    It's cool. I had a 32T last winter but the 36 is staying on this year. Maybe I am crazy because i'm considering keeping my 29+ wheels on this winter as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Very nice

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I keep going round and round on this and come to the same conclusion nearly every time. What's wrong with 2x10? That 22-36 combo and nearly unlimited traction is allowing me to wonderful things with the bike. Sure I'd like to clean it up and simplify things but not at the expense of what has proven to be reliable and just plain works. When one of the drivetrain manufacturers comes up with a 12 or 13-42 10 speed cassette I'll be on it right away because I really have absolutely no need for a taller gear than 30-12/13 because like was said earlier if I'm going that fast I'm probably not pedaling anyway.

OP - SWEET bike!

Nuts
    The only reason I ditched the front der on my fat bike is because of all the snow/slush/ice/salt build up in that spot. Wouldn't shift after awhile anyways. Still run one on my dually though.
    And I love beer!!

Loser
    For summer I wanted a bash ring and the one I got interfered with the front derailleur so I took it off. I figured I'd use the granny ring so rarely that it wouldn't matter.

After a few months of riding it I'm perfectly happy doing a manual shift down to the granny when needed (which it turns out is NOT very often). I can shift it down with my toe, but have to use my hand to move the chain back up to the middle ring. There's enough range using the granny to keep me moving until an opportune time comes up to stop and shift it up.

I know it sounds hokey, but its working out fine, not sure I'll go back to a front derailleur for the summer.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The only reason I ditched the front der on my fat bike is because of all the snow/slush/ice/salt build up in that spot. Wouldn't shift after awhile anyways. Still run one on my dually though.
    I'm not a big fan of stuff like WD40 in a spray can but the difference it makes in those conditions is impressive. I had a few "issues" the first couple of winter rides and then had an epiphany one day and gave the lower half of the bike a spritz. No more problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I run 28 front and extended range cassete on my bikes. I used to power lift competitively and had a 485 raw squat below parallel and a 585 dead lift. I rode SS with pretty steep gearing for a couple of years too. Do I have ***** legs? No. There's a reason it makes sense to have easier gearing, so one can be efficient going up long hills and ride all day. Nobody says to ride flats all day in the easy gear. 30/42 on a single is harder than 22/34 on a 2x10 which is pretty common.

mtbr member
    Fork is in, but no wheels yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new build 616 Fabrication-photo-1-4-.jpg  

My new build 616 Fabrication-photo-2-4-.jpg  

Last edited by tomi-iv; 07-03-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Nuts
    Sexy dude very sexy!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Carver fork?
    I'm building a similar one!

The Fat Swede!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrdesign View Post
    Carver fork?
    I'm building a similar one!

The Fat Swede!
    Yes, Carver O'Beast for now, later on i may switch to Sarma Thru Axle 465mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Due to the through axle? The weight of the two forks are pretty much the same?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast