mtbr member
    Aug 2013

My first fat bike! Origin8 Crawler

Hello :-) First thing I wanted to say is thanks everybody for a great forum. I came across this forum back in January. It has greatly helped me learn about fat bikes and has steered me towards the Origin8 Crawler based on what I was looking for in a fat bike.

One of the things that attracted me to this bike was the Nuvinci n360 hub, the price was right too, and I don't see many people owning this bike. I mostly read about Surly's and Salsa's, which is fine, I just like being different :-D Also everything I read about this bike, the big complaint is weight. Which isn't an issue to me. I actually think it is lighter than my old bike to be honest. I say this because it seemed a bit lighter loading into my truck today compared to my other bike. I never had an issue with weight on my old bike, if anything I would probably see more benefit if I lost 20-30 lbs ;-)

How did I learn about fat bikes? The short story. I got cabin fever last winter, tried riding my 26" mtn. bike on a snow covered bike path and quickly learned how fun and difficult it is and wanted to find something better suited to this type of riding.

Anyway, I'll stop babbling for a bit. I just wanted to join the forum and say hello :-D

Titanium junkie
    Congrats and enjoy, the smiles never stop when riding a fatty!
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Welcome... Any pics of that new ride?
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member

My first fat bike! Origin8 Crawler

May your tires be fat and your trails be skinny....

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My first fat bike!  Origin8 Crawler-img_20130823_193554.jpg

Pic as requested. Thats about as clean as it will ever be. Gonna get dirty tomorrow

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Congrats and enjoy, the smiles never stop when riding a fatty!
    I couldn't stop smiling when they rolled it out of the back of the shop and handed it over to me ;-)

mtbr member
    Please let me know how that NuVinci works in the cold...I'm very interested.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Re: My first fat bike! Origin8 Crawler

Congrats, its a nice looking fat bike. Hows the shifting?

Are you short or do you just like a low saddle?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How is the gearing?

Their website says it has a 18t rear sproket, but not what size the front chainring is. For lowest allowable by Nuvinci, it would be a 33t, but more likely a 34 or 36, as these are more common for some reason.

A 34/18 with the .5 underdrive lowest hub ratio on a 29" fat tire(26" rims(559mm ISO)),
    You get a 27.4" effective gear inches, or about the same as a 34t middle ring with a 32t cog on a 26" bike. Fairly low gear, but not nearly as low as you normally are at when using the granny ring on a mountain triple.

It wouldn't be anything near as tough to climb steep hills as a singlespeed setup of course, but still about the same, or a little taller low gear than most 1 X 10s run, which may require getting off and pushing in some places.

I also wonder, if you are using the minimum allowable ratio(highest torque input) for any of the IGH's, How much can you load up the bike, and go climbing, cranking hard out of the saddle, etc. Maybe that's where Origin8 gets off putting a 250lb weight limit on a 42 lb fat bike. No loaded touring for big guys here.

Conversely, if you are a lightweight rider, why not go ahead and run a lwer input ratio, since you won't be stressing it very much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey guys! Had a great ride this morning on some forest service roads, found some mud, loose/somewhat deep gravel, loose rock with some sand, on the flats, uphill and downhill. Also rode a short distance on pavement to get to the dirt. 13.7 miles, average speed 9mph, max was 22mph.

To answer a few questions. No I don't ride with my seat that low, thats where the bike shop set it. I literally went to the bike shop after work, loaded it in my truck and drove about 3 hours to my parents place in the Tug Hill region of NY. Didn't test ride it or anything lol. It was the right height for my mom, as soon as I unloaded it she hopped on it and took off, I couldn't even be the first to ride MY bike lol.

The Nuvinci was awesome! Topped out I felt about as fast as my old 21spd I know that doesn't tell you much without knowing the gearing, which I don't know off the top of my head. Low range isn't as low compared to my old bike, felt like I was in 3rd gear instead of 1st. I wish I could help as far as how many teeth the front gear has, but I don't know.

Going on any loose gravel, sand, rock was nothing, no drama, front or rear tire never lost traction. Mud I wouldn't have attempted on my old bike, I would have had to stop and walk it through. I did lose traction at both ends but made it through in low range in all instances of mud. I did spin out once a hill climb, loose rock (softball size and bigger) with sand, steep grade, lower range and/or lower tire pressure would have probably helped; OR I could have moved to the other side of the road where neither condition existed, but where is the fun in that??

The road noise on pavement, loud humm. I like it, makes me think of a truck with mud tires on it :-D

I don't know if the Nuvinci is cause for the 250lb load limit on the bike? Does the 907 Tusken as well as the other fat bikes that use the Nuvinci have a 300lb weight limit? Maybe Origin8 was being conservative. I don't know, the bike seems strong enough to handle 300, I doubt I would ever exceed the 250lb limit though.My first fat bike!  Origin8 Crawler-img_20130824_080340.jpgMy first fat bike!  Origin8 Crawler-img_20130824_084657.jpgMy first fat bike!  Origin8 Crawler-img_20130824_090323.jpg

mtbr member
    Well congrats on the new toy and going a diff route with origin8.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the warm welcomes! I forgot to talk about how the Nuvinci shifts.

Basically it works as advertised. Completely silent, any minor adjustment to the grip shift (higher or lower range) can be felt when climbing, not so much on the flats. You can stomp as hard as you want on it while shifting, does not bother it one bit. I see this as being much more user friendly offroading or climbing a grade compared to the derailers. On occassion the derailers on my old bike would not change gears or not change fast enough and completely mess up my climb or try to clearan obstacle.

The ease, simplicity, and a quietness makes the Nuvinci a keeper for me. The only down side is the lack of a lower range. The high range is pretty much the max I need anyway, the tires will slow me down, at least for now anyway in my physical condition ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great to hear about the hub gear "shifting" well, although, should it be called shifting still, when there are no fixed ratios? I guess it still shifts through the range of ratios, but more like an adjustment than a shift, right?

Any noticeable drag from the Hub?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Oh yeah, the front chainring should have the number of teeth stamped on it somewhere, or if that isn't visible, you could just count the teeth. It's easy enough if you just mark a tooth with a bit of whiteout or something, and count your way back around. If it is a 36T, you could move to a 34t, or if you look hard enough, a 33t. A 32t would be easy enough to find, but exceeds the Nuvinci ratio limit. I think you would probably be alright still, as long as you aren't hammering it. At 1.777..., it would only be 1.2% more input torque than the recommended 1.8:1 minimum ratio, so as long as you don't put out more than 98.8% of the maximum pedal pressure they designed it for with a 1.8:1, it should hold up.

Or, if you want to get the lowest allowable 1.8:1 exactly, go with a 36t front and a 20t rear(or 27/15, or 54/30 or 45/25)

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you like it, though the 250 lb lit would be no good here. Not only am I a big guy, but plan on using my Pugs as cargo bike/bike packing bike.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Great to hear about the hub gear "shifting" well, although, should it be called shifting still, when there are no fixed ratios? I guess it still shifts through the range of ratios, but more like an adjustment than a shift, right?

Any noticeable drag from the Hub?
    Yeah, more like an adjustment than a shift, because you shift gears. But more of a technicality, I'm sure everybody knows what I meant ;-)

as far as drag goes, I didn't notice any, but I'm new to fat bikes and IGH. If anything I noticed the drag from the tires more than anything else.

I'll check out the front gear again as you had advised in your other post and report back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Glad to hear you like it, though the 250 lb lit would be no good here. Not only am I a big guy, but plan on using my Pugs as cargo bike/bike packing bike.
    Personally I have more faith in this bike than my old bike (2004 Trek Y26) and I loaded that heavy; over twice the load limit on the seat post mounted rack (20lb max capacity) plus my back pack and pulling a trailer with 50-100lbs in it with my 200 lb butt sitting on it. That's a bit of an extreme example, but I did it fairly regularly last year with a cheap full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I believe mine is 18t rear and 32f if I counted correct. Love my Crawler!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Oh, well I guess they already went lower than the 1.8:1 minimum that Nuvinci allows, so it probably wouldn't be a good Idea to look to go any lower. That also would explain the weight limit, when Nuvinci equipped bikes don't normally have one.
    I think they designed the Nuvinci hub thinking that it would't end up on 29" tall tire off road bikes. It seems like it is still a good hub choice, as long as you don't need to climb a lot of really steep stuff, and are strong enough to get away with only going down to 25.8" gear on soft stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    "...don't see many talking about owning this bike."

Some of us talked about WANTING to own this bike, and Origin-8 advertized and promised it for a long time before it was actually delivered. Obviously, they are filtering out to the dealers now, and with the proliferation of fat-bikes in an expanding market, it may turn out that Origin-8 was smart to hold off.

In any case, thanks for the ride report. I imagine some of us were interested in the slightly lower price point, but many more were interested in learning how well the Nuvinci does as a fat-bike hub. I'm hoping to hear more, especially in a few months as the snow starts falling.

Again, thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I wanted to add some detail how I aquired my bike based on your first paragraph. I do not think there is any Origini 8 dealer in NY (where I'm from). I looked high and low. Originally I walked into a bike shop that dealed Surly's and Salsa's and they shown a Mukluk3 in stock. The only reason I didn't get it was it was they only had one and it was a large. The bike shop then suggested I look at the Crawler (as I originally wanted) and they could order one if I wanted.

So, I guess as long as the bike shop has a jbimporters account they can order this bike. This bike took a LONG time to receive. I ordered it in the middle of April, and received it at the end of August. I was told the middle of May i would have it, but never came to be.

Since I have owned it I made a few additions/upgrades with a few more on the way =) I replaced the seatpost collar with a quick release seatpost collar (Sinz-Racing quick release). the plastic pedals were replaced with metal (Black Ops Proform pedals). and I installed a rear rack (Blackburn EK1 Disc). Almost ready for commuting =D

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks, TC. JB is one of 3 or 4 national bike parts and accessory houses that almost every LBS uses. Salsa/Surly are part of QBP, with a similar business model.

I put $1000 down on one, sight unseen, in 2011. Feb 2013, the LBS finally told JB to cancel the order after I-don't-know-how-many-broken-promises, built me a Pugs Necro (Sram x9, not NuVinci, darn) for near the promised price point (a significant profit reduction for them...praises to the LBS!). And I ride!

Cash is tight right now...2 kids in college...but I dream of a better fatbike someday. Meanwhile, the Pugs is a lot better than nothing.

Thanks again. chime in again when you can!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Wow, sorry to hear of the bad luck. But, something good came of it in the end ;-) Glad to hear the LBS hooked you up!

The bike shop that ordered my bike, kinda left me feeling a little bitter. I litteraly was told 3 completely different stories between May 10th (expected day of delivery) - May 22nd about the status of my bike, I think they only called JB one time, after that it was just lip service so I would leave the shop or get off the phone. After that i just sent a message to Origin 8 on Facebook and they replied with a completely different story than the latest story from the bike shop. The middle of August came, I go to the shop and this time they actually do something, I was surprised. I guess because so much time has passed and I looked a little annoyed.

So, after receiving the bike they tell me I can have any accessories I want for at cost price for being so late with the delivery. Of course everything they have I don't want or it doesn't fit and must be special ordered, and there would be no discount if they had to do that.

So, as I mentioned in my last post, got some goodies for it. Bought at another bike shop.

I hear you about cash being tight. Just bought a truck, I've returned from a two week vacation, then diving back into my house renovations.

It's funny you say you dream of a better fat bike someday, I foresee more in my garage too. It's like they say about motorcycling - Welcome to the addiction, can't have just one!