mtbr member

My euro plate fat fenders [o]

After a trip to a flea market for the plates and a couple of LBSs that let me peruse their fender part bins and then a trip to the hardware store for hardware resulted in this.

I had to fabricate the front aluminium fender stays. I didn't consider toe overlap the first round So I had to shorten them by an 1.5". Then sprayed them w/ Plastidip to make them black. Used a bunk WTB stout 2.3" tire to extend the rear fender down the seattube, should I extend it all the way bast the BB?

I think they came out pretty well. No rattles, and the plate material has a good ability to bend and hold. Any constructive criticism welcomed. A little worried about nob clearance for the front when I put on a Nate.

Perpetual n00b
    Somebody (read Surly, Salsa etc.) needs to come out with a proper fender kit for fat bikes. There's obviously a market for these things. I'm using SKS fenders and they just aren't big enough and they don't catch anything that gets thrown on the BB and seat tube so my pant legs and shoes can get soaked.

Are those 25.4 Mary bars?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post

Are those 25.4 Mary bars?
    Yep

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I think it looks cool

mtbr member
    I'm interested to hear how those fat fenders work in real muck.

I prefer a bit of wrap around the tyre to redirect the stuff flung off the sides of the tyres, and even then there's still some spray.

I've been thinking about adding flexible skirts to contain it. (Think 30s Indian motorbike)

Of course that may then lead to problems with slush/mud packing up and jamming the wheel, so there needs to be a way to remove skirts quickly.

Edit: BTW ingenious bit of recycling
    Last edited by Velobike; 03-05-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    THATS NOT A EUROPEAN LICENSE PLATE!!!

.... its the old german license plate for "Ostholstein in Eutin" or "Ohne Hirn"(without Brain) like wie call it...