Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64

    My below 11kg Sandman Gobi

    Sandman Gobi Frame Medium
    Carver O-Beast
    Hope hubs
    Trialtech rims
    Pillar Spokes
    XTR-XT system
    Esi grips
    3T Stem
    Syntace bar
    EC90 seatpost with kcnc yokes
    Saevid saddle

    Name:  WP_001874.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  32.7 KB

    Name:  WP_001877.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  33.6 KB

    Name:  WP_001879.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  37.5 KB

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bprsnt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    287

    My below 11kg Sandman Gobi

    Sweet ride! How do you like the fork? Thinking of getting one for mine.
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64
    The fork is light, stiff and good looking....
    But I need to make more miles to give a good review...

  4. #4
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,744
    Very Nice bike ! How much does the Med Gobi frame weigh in at ?
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Very Nice bike ! How much does the Med Gobi frame weigh in at ?
    1,859 kg

    Name:  WP_001854.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  15.1 KB

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    110
    Bike, ride update? I suspect I'm not the only one eyeing this sort of a build. How is it as a trail bike over rough stuff? Tires & tubes?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    86
    Nice build! Impressive that you got it under 11 with a tripple crank set

    I have similar build based on a 907 frame but with 1*9 gearing. It rides really nice, not as smooth and fast as my FS 26:incher (which is 1 kg lighter) but I get god traction and drive even in technical terrain.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by twestis View Post
    Nice build! Impressive that you got it under 11 with a tripple crank set

    I have similar build based on a 907 frame but with 1*9 gearing. It rides really nice, not as smooth and fast as my FS 26:incher (which is 1 kg lighter) but I get god traction and drive even in technical terrain.
    You have a 10 KG FS 26er? Any chance of giving a detailed ride comparison between the two. I am looking to build a dedicated trail bike and am trying to decid which path to go down. The idea of a rigid Gobi or even a front suspension Gobi has tremendous aesthetic appeal to me. But I can't help wondering if a FS 26er or 29er will end up being more functional. I'm vacillating.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    You have a 10 KG FS 26er? Any chance of giving a detailed ride comparison between the two. I am looking to build a dedicated trail bike and am trying to decid which path to go down. The idea of a rigid Gobi or even a front suspension Gobi has tremendous aesthetic appeal to me. But I can't help wondering if a FS 26er or 29er will end up being more functional. I'm vacillating.
    I had a canyon lux mr.... 10kg 26er full sus and it was ok when going down hill on rough stuff but I hated it for most of the other times. Lock out on the rear DT Swiss shock was ok but I kept on blowing them out!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    You have a 10 KG FS 26er? Any chance of giving a detailed ride comparison between the two. I am looking to build a dedicated trail bike and am trying to decid which path to go down. The idea of a rigid Gobi or even a front suspension Gobi has tremendous aesthetic appeal to me. But I can't help wondering if a FS 26er or 29er will end up being more functional. I'm vacillating.
    The FS 26:er is not a Fatbike. It's a Titus Carbon X, with X.0 gear/brakes/cranks, 120mm SID, Notubes Alpine rims/N-light hubs and carbon bar/post, Rocker Ron 2.25 tyres.

    If I had to choose one of them I'd go for the FS 26:er. It is a bit more playful and quicker over technical terrain (there are most likely more playful frames then the 907). I also occasionally compete in Multisport were the FS 26:er is better/faster:

    I would miss how secure and smooth the fatbike rolls over stuff and the traction, I've done some tricky passages I did not dare before. And of course riding on snow is much more fun on the fatbike.

    I get a bit more tired in my hands from the lack of suspension on the fatbike although it's a great deal better in absorbing stuff then my rigid Singlespeed 26:er.

    Maybe a FS 29:er would be a good compromise :-)

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    Bike, ride update? I suspect I'm not the only one eyeing this sort of a build. How is it as a trail bike over rough stuff? Tires & tubes?
    Mounted some lighter 3T parts and nokon cables.

    For trail use, it's a great bike, climbing goes perfect and DH is a dream come true.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by twestis View Post
    Nice build! Impressive that you got it under 11 with a tripple crank set

    I have similar build based on a 907 frame but with 1*9 gearing. It rides really nice, not as smooth and fast as my FS 26:incher (which is 1 kg lighter) but I get god traction and drive even in technical terrain.
    I'm waiting for the X9 crankset, then I will use it with absolute black chainrings in 1 x 10 set-up.

Similar Threads

  1. Sandman Gobi below 11KG
    By saiko in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM
  2. Fizik: Gobi or Aliante
    By PoorCyclist in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-11-2012, 07:25 AM
  3. Fizik Gobi 00
    By DavidR1 in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 06:45 AM
  4. Light 26er(11kg) vs. heavier 29er(13-14kg)
    By Innota in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 11:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •