mtbr member
    Jun 2010

My 9:Zero:7 seems a bit thick.

So far (4th day) I really enjoy this bike. I have a feeling this will be good go to bike and will see plenty of action both on snow and on dirt. I also know that it is going to build huge muscles and I should lose weight like no tomorrow. Weighing in at a portly 37 lbs I am having a hard time understanding where some of you other 907 owners are getting under 30lb and even seen them at 27lbs. How do I shave a few pounds if possible.

Frame: 907 2012 xl green
    Fork: 907
    Hubs: Hope pro2
    Rims: Rolling Darrels
    Tire: Surly Larry 3.8 27 tpi
    Tubes: Surly w/stans slime
    QR: Salsa
    Brakes: Avid Mechanical and rotors 160
    Rear Der: SLX
    Front Der: XT
    Cranks: FSA Alpha Drive 36/22 BG
    BB: FSA Platinum dh 100mm
    Pedals: Time Atak Carbon
    Shifters: Deore 2x10
    Stem: Richey 110 15d
    Bar: Easton Monkey bar
    Grips: Lizard skins
    Saddle: Koobi

So where is the main weight? No looking to weight weenie this thing as I am 6'3 250, but I think it should be able to come down to 31-32 lbs. Thoughts

mtbr member
    Tires, tubes, crank and bb

Nuts
    Your tires and the Surly tubes and slime aren't aren't helping you cause. Are your rims holy?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Tires, tubes, crank and bb
    +1

It's a great bike. Enjoy it! Here's mine:

mtbr member
    Well, XL frame, nothing to do about that... go tubeless, think about different tires if they meet your trail conditions, 120tpi is lighterish. Your wheels could be drilled out as well. Hydro brakes if you aren't riding in super cold...but I love the mechanical. Bottom line is that without spending oodles of money, it's going to be a pig. I accepted it, and added fenders, bar mitts, rear rack, top tube bag, and a beefy light set up...(I commute every day on it)

mtbr member

We the people ...

Your tubes, with Stan's, probably weigh close to 4lbs. Switching to 120 tpi tires could save another 2 lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You are just not in "fatbike shape" yet. Ride it for a few more weeks and you won't even care about weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the ideas. Yeah the rims are drilled. I figured it was all tire, tube and slime. will look at tubeless soon but I need to play with it some first. "Fatbike" shape. I love this. Yeah I am way outta "fatbike" shape. But i am looking to gain on this. even with a siadic nerve issue going on I still logged 3 days of rides so far. Cant wait for some snow riding. need to get in better shape for it though. pics soon as my kids stole my cable to download them.

Nice try
    Nov 2012
    For $20 you can put in Qtubes SL 2.4-2.7 and dump just under two pounds....quick and cheap!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    tubes and tires for sure.... almost anything is lighter then a surly tube... and you could drop a fair amount by going 1x9 too

29er
    Apr 2010
    are you using lock on grips?

mtbr member
    Yeah, what they said...and my $.02...

#1 - 1x9 - $0 - 1.5lbs
    #2 - tubes - $20 - 1.75 lbs- qtubes
    #3 - brake rotors - $30 - .25 lbs- ashima
    #4 - tires - $300 - 1.25lbs - 120tpi
    #5 - fork - $300- 1.5lbs? - carver
    #6 - crank/bb - $200 - 1.25lbs - turbine
    #7 - cockpit - $150 - .75 lbs - carbon

My medium 907 is at 28lbs. I found the biggest bang for buck with regards to weight to be tubes, grips, rotors, chain, pedals and seat. You'll notice the weight more with rotating parts and the front end, hence tires, tubes, and fork being at the top. 1x9 is a no brainer, IMHO!! Let us know how it turns out!! Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smthgfshy View Post
    . 1x9 is a no brainer, IMHO!! Let us know how it turns out!! Good luck!!
    I might be able to pull that off in the summer, but my terrain would never allow me to run a 1x9 in the winter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My 9 zero 7 Med frame is loaded with fenders rack bag w/extra surly heavy tube tools 2 lights. Probly pushing 45 pounds, I don't dare weigh it. I commute but leave all the gear on for rides too. Cowboy up man. I don't even notice the weight anymore.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Some great pointers on bike weight loss.
    And I dig the "fatbike shape" comment! These things are a work out.
    We lost our snow cover for a few days and I took out my 23 lb 29er. Holy crap....after weeks on the Mukluk....things happen really fast on a light bike. You definatly ride them differently.

mtbr member
    My Pugs is pretty heavy - something similar to the OP's rig. I have thought about dropping weight off it, but it would require a lot of $$ and components to be replaced. For beach riding I don't notice the weight because the terrain is pretty flat and for touring trips the bike is loaded with gear so I don't notice it much either.

I don't use my Pugs for straight up traili riding frequently so keeping up with other riders isn't an issue.

I figure I'll just wait until I buy a new fat bike at some juncture and equip it with light parts off the bat when I'm not having to replace existing bits.

I would replace stuff as it wears out, but that bike just keeps rolling and rolling without a compliant so that approach isn't working!

As others have said the wheels/tires/tubes are a good place to work on weight loss. I wouldn't bother going beyond that for now unless you really feel like you are on a mission.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smthgfshy View Post
    Yeah, what they said...and my $.02...

#1 - 1x9 - $0 - 1.5lbs
    #2 - tubes - $20 - 1.75 lbs- qtubes
    #3 - brake rotors - $30 - .25 lbs- ashima
    #4 - tires - $300 - 1.25lbs - 120tpi
    #5 - fork - $300- 1.5lbs? - carver
    #6 - crank/bb - $200 - 1.25lbs - turbine
    #7 - cockpit - $150 - .75 lbs - carbon

My medium 907 is at 28lbs. I found the biggest bang for buck with regards to weight to be tubes, grips, rotors, chain, pedals and seat
    Thanks for this, awesome info. and thanks everyone. Like I said I am not on a mission just would like to drop some weight when the chance comes around. I have though of going tubeless but want to do more reading and the thought of 1x10 has entered my mind, just don't know if I can pull not having granny off. Need to do more research here as well. Guess I have to just do the fun part and get in "Fatshape"

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I weighed my 9zero7 small McGrath build and it weighs 29.6lbs with VP platform pedals and Bontrager 2.8" Downhill tubes. I'm very pleased with the whole package and ride quality.

Fork 9:ZERO:7 Aluminum Fork
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X.9 10spd
    Front Derailleur SRAM X.9 Direct Mount
    Shifters SRAM X.9 10spd Trigger Shifters
    Headset 9:ZERO:7 44mm
    Bottom Bracket Race Face 100mm
    Crankset Race Face Turbine 24t-36t Crank
    Brake Calipers Avid BB7 Mechanical Disc
    Brake Levers Avid Speed Dial 7
    Cassette SRAM PG-1070
    Chain SRAM PC-1071
    Stem TruVativ Stylo T20 31.8
    Handlebar TruVativ T20 Noir Carbon 31.8
    Seatpost TruVativ T30 Noir Carbon 0mm Offset 30.9
    Saddle WTB Rocket V Race
    Grips/Tape Ergon GP-1
    Tires 9:ZERO:7 Edition 45NRTH Dillinger 120TPI Tire
    Tubes Bontrager 2.8" Downhill tubes
    Rim Strips Surly Rim Strip
    Wheelset Rolling Darryl w/Cutouts w/9:ZERO:7 170mm Rear Hub/9:ZERO:7 135mm Front Hub

mtbr member
    The place the weight savings makes the biggest impact is on internet forums, imo.

mtbr member
    Can I ask a potentially silly question: I'm not familiar with the direct mount FDs...does it mount direct to your 907 or to one of those problem solver adapters? I ask because I was thinking of using a direct mount Paul's chain keeper on my 907 with a 1x9 drivetrain - wondering if I need a problem solver adapter.

Sorry for the threadjack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    Can I ask a potentially silly question: I'm not familiar with the direct mount FDs...does it mount direct to your 907 or to one of those problem solver adapters? I ask because I was thinking of using a direct mount Paul's chain keeper on my 907 with a 1x9 drivetrain - wondering if I need a problem solver adapter.

Sorry for the threadjack.
    You will need an adapter either problem solver or 9zero7's version.

mtbr member
    I can tell you this- I've shaved/bashed a ton of weight off my pugsley, but it's still heavy as hell. And it's always gonna be heavy as hell.

'lesn you've got a butt-load of disposable income or a cheap source of really light parts, figure 29-30 pounds isn't bad and leave it at that.

I replaced my surly toobs with regular 2.5" bontragers. THey've worked just fine so far, even on a rolling darryl. That was probably the biggest bang-for-my-buck upgrade I've done.

Also, brand new cranks are expensive as hell. But if you can find an old, light ISIS crank, you can drop some weight. I found a nice, cheap and light Race Face Isis somethingorother on ebay.

mtbr member
    My medium 907 came in at 33.99 lbs. without any though to the weight of components, budget took the first priority and using existing parts I had.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Tiboy.

I have a high 28 pound 907 - getting the weight down to this range requires pretty much all your parts to be pretty light. I have Nate/bud combo on RD, so my other parts were chosen carefully.

I agree on tires and tubes to be the first places to start.