Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

My 5yr olds X-Mas Present

XS 907 off set frame, Moonlander fork, Marge lites laced to Sram x9 hubs, flipped the setback post to make it a "set forward"...50mm stem, cut down RXL flat bar, 170mm Race Face cranks...Set up 1x9 with XO RD and Grip Shift...Larry's set up tubeless...My boy is going to freak out x-mas morning Frame and most of the Bits from Cycle Haven...

SS Rider
    Cool Christmas present!

29er
    Apr 2010
    looking to adpot?

@trailgrinder
    That is sweet! Your gonna have a great time with your son on the trails next year!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If you dont mind me asking how much did you end up spending on that rig? I have a 5 year old also and plan on buying him a bike for his 6th birthday in january and might end up just buying a good mtn bike till he gets a bit older.
    My son is almost 50 inches tall and is borderline fitting on a 24 inch bike How tall is your boy?
    Are you on long island I would love to size y son up on that thing.
    Hope your boy appreciates it!

mtbr member
    That is one sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Yes, I'm on Long Island...the XS 907's have 13" seat tube, 24" Stand Over, 22" ETT...He will not be able pull wheelies and jump it like he can his bmx bike but we will have fun in he snow and riding the beach...This is the only thing he wanted...He is as obsessed about riding as I am...This will complete our family fat bike quiver...It will go quite nice with my Muk and my wife's 907...If you want to meet up some time after x-mas for a ride and have your son throw his legs over it just send me a msg...

Quote Originally Posted by Boatracer View Post
    If you dont mind me asking how much did you end up spending on that rig? I have a 5 year old also and plan on buying him a bike for his 6th birthday in january and might end up just buying a good mtn bike till he gets a bit older.
    My son is almost 50 inches tall and is borderline fitting on a 24 inch bike How tall is your boy?
    Are you on long island I would love to size y son up on that thing.
    Hope your boy appreciates it!

mtbr member
    Wow. My three year old is getting wooden trains.
    You rock, dad.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    That is a real awesome build - making me think about keeping my extra parts to build up one for my daughter. She's already on a Gary Fisher 13" frame 26" wheel build and has a great time on it. Though she does eye my Fat Bike.....

hmmm - the little gears in the brain are starting to move

Ed

Icebiker
    Sevenz for Dad of the Year!

Sweet build

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It is so wrong that your 5 year old will have a nicer bike than most of us adults !!! When I was that age, we didn't have...

He's going to love it, I'm sure!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Can you video your boy when he's sees' this present under the xmas tree. It would be great to see his reaction.

Awesome bike build.

I love the dedicated Dads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My 5-year-old son gets a Giant 24" XTC.

Used.

I am a failure.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockli Boy View Post
    My 5-year-old son gets a Giant 24" XTC.

Used.

I am a failure.
    Not at all, giving a bike puts you firmly on the cool dad list no matter what, I'm sure you'll get a ton of love from your son just the same.

If you're bummed out by the used thing, why not turn it into a positive instead, strip the bike down with your son, have him pick a cool color for powder coating/painting, rebuild, and he ends up with an cool custom.

But honestly I think he couldn't care less that it's used as long as it's an awesome ride he can have fun on.

That 907 is a sweet looking ride though, I guess there will be several ecstatic kids this christmas..

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My 4year old is getting snowshoes. Epic fail

PUG U!!!
    Like I said on FB........ GREAT MINDS think alike!!
    Our 9 yr. olds Xmas present

Xmas morning will be one to remember for both our young ones!!!
    Pedal On!!
    Peace

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    Not at all, giving a bike puts you firmly on the cool dad list no matter what, I'm sure you'll get a ton of love from your son just the same.
    :
    I'm kidding, he'll be psyched. Plus, I have a road bile waiting for his March birthday, so he's hardly lacking. The mini fatty looks amazing, though.

mtbr member
    Please post pics soon. I'm curious to see how he fits on it. In my my head a see a midget sitting in a Humvee.

mtbr member
    A couple of thoughts. I built up this xs 907 for my then 10 year old. The bike weighs 25 lbs. I used a Pace carbon fork, 44mm snowcats, and went 1x9 to save weight. My boy can pedal this thing around the neighborhood all day, but when it comes to snow riding thats a different story. It's a lot of bike and rolling resistance for kids to push around. If the conditions are at all soft, it makes it that much more difficult. I eventually swapped out the 1x setup to give him back his granny gear for hills and adverse snow conditions. He rides it (not as often as i would like) but prefers his summer bike to the fat bike. I realize not all kids are the same, some are way more driven than others, so maybe approach the project with caution. I may have had to high of expectations. Still fun, and i hope as he gets older and stronger that he will ride it more and farther.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 5yr olds X-Mas Present-img_2736.jpg  

litespeed's break

mtbr member
    a couple more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 5yr olds X-Mas Present-img_2763.jpg  

My 5yr olds X-Mas Present-img_2766.jpg  

litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    SB - what is at all uncool about the Giant ? They look like pretty good bikes to me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nothing wrong with the Giant at all, and the price was right. Looking at the mini fatty makes me think about how long we'll have to wait for the snow to melt before we can ride. Wish I had the bucks to build up a mini fatty for my kid, maybe I will look into moving to a fat frame when he's a little taller. He thinks the world of my Pugz.

Plus, he has a 24" black & red Pinarello waiting for his birthday, and that really doesn't suck. Probably made by Giant, too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I got a fatty for my 9 year old, a great deal of our riding is done on loose gravel or snow, so it makes sense. I am in the process of modding it to fit him better.
    I have been thinking of going 1x9, but with a 23 tooth chainring. The little guy never goes fast at the best of times, so it doesn't make sense to bother with the higher gears. My concern is that 23x34 won't be low enough a gear for him, especially if I get 145mm cranks to go with it.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1356320365
    My 5 year old cannot reach the pedals even with short cranks, so there is no danger of her getting one for at least 3 years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 5yr olds X-Mas Present-_1320349.jpg  

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post

If you're bummed out by the used thing, why not turn it into a positive instead, strip the bike down with your son, have him pick a cool color for powder coating/painting, rebuild, and he ends up with an cool custom.

But honestly I think he couldn't care less that it's used as long as it's an awesome ride he can have fun on.
    ^^ This. When my son was 9 and ready for his first 26'er, we made a project out of it. Bought a Barracuda frame off eBay for $40, and pieced together the rest from my parts bin (I had moved to 29"). Showed him how to install the headset, cranks, true the wheels, etc. He was so psyched when he proudly told his friends that he built his own bike. A few years later, he and I teamed up to build a 26'er for my daughter...donor frame from a friend, sanded it down, painted it baby blue, sourced decals from eBay, put more of my parts bin on it. She was thrilled. 'course, a year later, she discovered softball and the bike hasn't seen use since...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Every kid needs a cool 'Fat Bike' Dad! Nice work

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast