Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    PUG U!!!
    I can't speak for the other lucky soon to be new Fat Bike boy; but we were lucky enough to have a friend who's wife had an XS 9:zero:7 that we could test fit with a pedal around their LBS.
    Our Zack had the all to familiar fatBike smile as we were pedaling around for damn near 2 hours. This was in August, with pick up Nov. 30th. He fit the XS with very little trouble and that sealed the deal!!
    The snow riding concerns me some, but we have plenty of sled-head trails, and I've been grooming winter singletrack since our 1st snow!
    I don't know who's more excited..... Me or Z.
    Although I like the non lethal form of torture, he's been told they couldn't get one in his size!! All the while his green machine has been sitting tucked away nicely in our basement!! Ha Ha
    Peace

mtbr member
    This is on my list of things to do. My 9yr old has out grown his mini box bike so it's time for another.

the word of caution, he rode his mini on the bmx track 2 times and wasn't interested anymore. Good thing i converted a specialized hotrock into a mini and didnt drop massive coin on one. None the less he rode it everyday on the street with me so i guess its a win. Lucky I got a maniac 5 yr old trying to jump ramps already.

I say 2x9 so they don't get frustrated with too tall of a gear and lose interest because it's too hard to pedal.

I got a pile of parts already for this project. And thanks for the inseam measurements that helps a lot.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You're one awesome dad!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenz View Post
    XS 907 off set frame, Moonlander fork, Marge lites laced to Sram x9 hubs, flipped the setback post to make it a "set forward"...50mm stem, cut down RXL flat bar, 170mm Race Face cranks...Set up 1x9 with XO RD and Grip Shift...Larry's set up tubeless...My boy is going to freak out x-mas morning Frame and most of the Bits from Cycle Haven...

Dude, you must have a super tall 5 year old! My almost 9 year old at 52 inches and 60 pounds struggles on a 13" 26er bike right now, his 24" is the go to still in our garage.

You should check out some Sinz cranks, your son will have way more fun on shorty cranks spinning than trying to muscle adult length cranks.

Is XS size a custom option? I don't see it on the site unless it's brand new. That so rad! Well done sir.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Dude, you must have a super tall 5 year old! My almost 9 year old at 52 inches and 60 pounds struggles on a 13" 26er bike right now, his 24" is the go to still in our garage.

You should check out some Sinz cranks, your son will have way more fun on shorty cranks spinning than trying to muscle adult length cranks.

Is XS size a custom option? I don't see it on the site unless it's brand new. That so rad! Well done sir.
    I had the same thought about the Sinz. The other option if you have access to a drill press and pedal taps is to redrill the 175's to something shorter. Even if the crank is thinner where you have to locate the new holes your little guy won't put that much load on it. I did it years ago to an old style XT crank and it worked great.

However:

For the poster who went with a double chainring, put a guard on it. My little guy put his foot down in line with the rings once, when stopping, and embedded 6 or 8 teeth into his calf. Makes for a nice scar and story 20 years later but not much fun at the time.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    A very happy Fat Biker here

We thought about the Sinz 140mm cranks but the 110 BCD turned us off...Did not want to go with a 36t chainring...We have some mod's to adjust the fit in mind but wanted to get him on the bike first before we made our final adjustments.

SS Rider
    He looks very happy! He will be able to ride that bike for a few years as it seems to be a little bit of a strech now but he seems to be making it work.

mtbr member
    He does look stretched out but confident and very much in control. Nice work. Hope he has many miles of smiles on the bike.
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Lucky kid, he sure looks happy!
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Very Sweet... Nice work.

mtbr member
    That's one happy kid. Good job dad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you are looking for shorter cranks with the ability to run smallish chainrings, the Profile Racing cranks go down to 145mm and fit down to a 23 tooth ring.

mtbr member
    Love it! I can't wait until my son is big enough for a fat bike, trying to talk my wife into one now.
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    Wanting a Cross Bike.
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I applaud wanting to get your son a great bike for Christmas but at the risk of coming across like a preachy jerk that bike looks way to big for that boy. Sure he can ride it in the driveway but get out in the real world and he will run into problems that will likely turn him off to biking.

Think of yourself riding a 60 pound bike with 48" wheels, 255mm cranks a 30" top tube and 40+ inch standover height. You could do it but would it be fun when the going gets even a little bit difficult.

Sorry to sound like a jerk but I've watched too many kids struggle with too big and heavy bikes and none of them were even close to where you all are at. Hopefully your kid will prove me wrong.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I applaud wanting to get your son a great bike for Christmas but at the risk of coming across like a preachy jerk that bike looks way to big for that boy. Sure he can ride it in the driveway but get out in the real world and he will run into problems that will likely turn him off to biking.

Think of yourself riding a 60 pound bike with 48" wheels, 255mm cranks a 30" top tube and 40+ inch standover height. You could do it but would it be fun when the going gets even a little bit difficult.

Sorry to sound like a jerk but I've watched too many kids struggle with too big and heavy bikes and none of them were even close to where you all are at. Hopefully your kid will prove me wrong.
    No worries...This is not his only bike...He has 3 others to choose from. I'm not one of those pushy fathers that lives vicariously through their kids...He does not ride bikes because I push him to do it...He does it because he loves it...Is the bike big...YES...But it is something he will grow with and into...Do I think this bike is for every 5yr old...absolutely not...but my son he will get years of use and smiles out of it...Honestly, I'm not worried about him loosing interest...but if he did I would support him in any other activity he chose to participate in. A few pics of him riding over the last 3 yrs:

First Kids Race...@ 2.5yrs old (no training wheels)

3yrs old

4yrs old

4.5yrs

5.5yrs
    Last edited by Sevenz; 12-26-2012 at 08:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm betting he will be fine.Now if only his dad could ride! ( :

mtbr member
    Now thats a stud Kid biker!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Those are great shots of him riding. Here's to many years of you two riding together.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    For those of you who may have missed this in the Fat Bike Films thread....

Fat Bike Kid!!! My Son's first beach ride...

Fat Bike Kid from Sevenz on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Hey dad give me call when he out grows that bike.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

rmb
    mtbr member
    Lol, nice video. Lucas is definitely a stud rider and has wanted a fat bike for about two years! I can barely get my son on the balance bike at 3yo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Where is that beach video? I was showing the pictures to my son (5yo) and he knows your son He wasnt sure from where but he was in pre school at the ymca in bayshore and now goes to school in west islip.
    My sons birthday is in january and will be getting a new 24" fuji mtb. he definitly has the passion wants to ride daily.
    ask your son if he knows Willam

44.951909NRTH
    Love the credits at the end!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatracer View Post
    Where is that beach video? I was showing the pictures to my son (5yo) and he knows your son He wasnt sure from where but he was in pre school at the ymca in bayshore and now goes to school in west islip.
    My sons birthday is in january and will be getting a new 24" fuji mtb. he definitly has the passion wants to ride daily.
    ask your son if he knows Willam
    Wow...Small world...This was at West Neck Beach up in Huntington...I sent you a PM

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sevens, Have fun riding with your little guy. Before you know it they are this age and have left home, at least they still come back for the holidays. Picture was two days ago now it's 45 out and blowing 45 so the snow is fading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 5yr olds X-Mas Present-winter-2012-0141.jpg  

Latitude 61

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2