mtbr member
    Sep 2009

MWOD install question

Hi all,

I'm going to be installing a surly mwod crankset this weekend and I'm not sure how to set up my front derailleur to work with the new set up.

My bike is a 2011 Pugsley complete. It came with the truvativ triple crankset and shimano front dérailleur.

Can I reuse the stock dérailleur with the new cranks?

Bite Me.
    I believe you would just set the low limit screw to stop the derailleur from moving in to the granny gear position (adjust it while the FD is in the middle position) - the MWOD moves the granny to the middle ring position and the middle to big ring position - so your FD would only move between those two settings on the limit screws. Your shifter then loses the lowest position.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Dr Gadget is IN
    Short answer? Probably you can keep using the same front derailer. You will need to set the limit screws properly. You have an E-type (BB mount), which is a little limited on vertical adjustment - but that may not be needed.

If your derailer doesn't work - but I can't think of any reason why not - your only other option will be a direct mount derailer and the clamp-on fatbike adapter for it:
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

Sup
    You have to use a triple derailer mounted at the triple height
    Looks a little weird seeing it float about an inch above the ring
    I had to machine my crank arm on a mill to get my Shimano 2x10 derailer cage not to hit
    Before I get flamed for that realize I am on 160lbs geared up and weak
    I am using the 20/33 rings with no basguard
    Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    This is why I mentioned vertical adjustment.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Most triple deraillers can't be adjusted vertically down very much before the cage hits the chainstay. I think you will have to live with the gap between derailler and 33 tooth ring. It should still shift fine. If you don't like the gap there is an STX E type derailler model 665 for double set ups that has a much shorter cage and sits lower, so no gap.
    Latitude 61

Sup
    the middle ring is so close to the crank arm that I don't think the 665 would work without some grinding

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    I am running a Mr Whirly crank with MWOD rings and a 100mm spindle on my 2010 Pug with the stock front derailleur. The only adjustment I made was to mess with the limit screw a little to keep from shifting off the small ring onto the frame. I'm also running a friction shifter (DA bar end on Paul Thumbie) and have no problems moving the chain between the 2 rings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks guys. Got it installed tonight without any issues.

Think I might have just enough room for some BFLs on the Daryl's

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    You have to use a triple derailer mounted at the triple height
    I had to machine my crank arm on a mill to get my Shimano 2x10 derailer cage not to hit
    Before I get flamed for that realize I am on 160lbs geared up and weak
    I am using the 20/33 rings with no basguard
    Sj
    I ran into that problem today with the FD-M660. It had me scratching my head but a call to the nice folks over at The Surly Galatic Headquaters got me sorted. The crankset actually comes with some 1mm spacers that go between the small ring and the crankarm for more clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I'm having all sorts of problems getting an MWOD to work with a 907 frame and e-type Shimano XT derailer.

My main problems:

1. I can't get the derailleurs to push the chain far enough to get on the outer gear.
    2. The crank arm rubs on the derailleure cage

I've tried every combo of cable adjustment known to man and even tried bending on the cage a bit. I can get it real close… but no cigar. I can't see the derailer being able to handle this setup as it just won't extend out far enough... and I'm sure I could grind away at the right arm so it doesn't rub, but sure would like not to have to do that.

I did not receive any 1mm extra spacers with mine... I think its because I originally had a triple, then got the MWOD conversion. I'm not certain it would help.. maybe it would keep it from rubbing but I still don't see how to get it adjusted to push the chain over far enough.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomehole View Post
    Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I'm having all sorts of problems getting an MWOD to work with a 907 frame and e-type Shimano XT derailer.

My main problems:

1. I can't get the derailleurs to push the chain far enough to get on the outer gear.
    2. The crank arm rubs on the derailleure cage

I've tried every combo of cable adjustment known to man and even tried bending on the cage a bit. I can get it real close… but no cigar. I can't see the derailer being able to handle this setup as it just won't extend out far enough... and I'm sure I could grind away at the right arm so it doesn't rub, but sure would like not to have to do that.

I did not receive any 1mm extra spacers with mine... I think its because I originally had a triple, then got the MWOD conversion. I'm not certain it would help.. maybe it would keep it from rubbing but I still don't see how to get it adjusted to push the chain over far enough.
    Having similar issues with two 907 170mm frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I wonder if using a direct mount derailleur with one of the problem solvers (shown in an earlier post) is an advantage over an e-type fd? (as wadester suggests) Would the problem solver allow you to achieve more distance away from the frame, allowing a person to get that extra push necessary to reach the outer ring?

From what I read this is an alternative if you don't have an e-type, but I can't find anywhere that talks about one being better fit than the other for adjustments on fat bikes.

And could it do this without hitting. If I could get it to shift, I can deal with the rubbing issue.

My e-type can be locked so it only shifts twice... I'd want to be sure the direct mount did the same.

Wizard of the Trail
    My friend has an SRAM X7 direct mount / problem solver. I have an e type XT. Both don't work right. Derailleur/crank interference and bad shifts. Basically the rear needs to be at least 4 gears outward or more to shift up to 33/36. I have to hold the thumbie down until it completes the shift. We are both running 10 speed rears and the MWOD is a 9 speed chainring setup. Might have something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    I just did this on my 9-0-7 170 centered frame. I am running a MWOD with Shimano XTR triple E-type front derailleur and XT 2/3 shifters. I had the same problems until I put an approximately 1/32 in washer behind the post. I adjusted the derailleur at the center position, the MWOD small ring. I then switched the shifter to the 2 speed mode. Now It has only two clicks and the derailleur shifts to the big ring as long as the rear cassette is on the 32 or smaller tooth cog. No crank arm rub, no chain rub, no derailleur rub. I am running all ten gears in back. See all the details on my build.
    My 9-0-7 build

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the info!! It will prove to be usefull.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    Short answer? Probably you can keep using the same front derailer. You will need to set the limit screws properly. You have an E-type (BB mount), which is a little limited on vertical adjustment - but that may not be needed.

If your derailer doesn't work - but I can't think of any reason why not - your only other option will be a direct mount derailer and the clamp-on fatbike adapter for it:
    With a MWOD or similar wide bottom bracket you need the moonlander direct mount (pictured below on my bike), the Mukluk one shown in the picture above won't provide sufficient throw to get to the outside chainring--I tried.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MWOD install question-img00124.jpg  

turtles make me hot
    Sorry if this is a hijack, but I think it's related enough...
    I have a Fatback frame. I was going to use the MWOD until I saw the OD Crankset. Does anyone know if the derailleur mount that's welded to the Fatback frames correct or will I need to do away with it and use the bolt on one? I'm at work and can't get to frame from here. Plus, I haven't bought the crankset yet.
    I like turtles

Anchorage, AK
    I don't know for sure, but take a look at the moonlander style mount on my bike, above. It protrudes a bit farther than the bike's bottom bracket. If your fatback mount doesn't extend that far, my guess is you'll need the same style mount I have to get sufficient throw.

--Lars
    --Peace

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    I don't know for sure, but take a look at the moonlander style mount on my bike, above. It protrudes a bit farther than the bike's bottom bracket. If your fatback mount doesn't extend that far, my guess is you'll need the same style mount I have to get sufficient throw.

--Lars
    Sounds right. Thanks.
    I like turtles

NYrr496 Surly told me the OD Crankset won't be out until the end of November, or into December. Just thought I'd share this. I'm facing the same situation of wanting to get the new OD, but also wanting to get out and ride my moony.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    NYrr496 Surly told me the OD Crankset won't be out until the end of November, or into December. Just thought I'd share this. I'm facing the same situation of wanting to get the new OD, but also wanting to get out and ride my moony.
    I'm in no position to ride mine yet. I bought a frame and fork. Just ordered hubs and rims... Crankset , brakes and drivetrain to come as the money comes.
    I like turtles