Thread: Muru build

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Muru build

Hi Folks,

New to the forum. I have been a member of bikeforums.net for a few years now but with my latest build it seemed to make more sense to spend my time here instead. Online research (Googling) almost always gives results that are posted on this forum so I figured I'd go where the action is.

I've been a roadie for years but finally stepped out of my comfort zone and had a fat bike built for the Alaska to Argentina run. Hoping to leave Prudhoe Bay Early June 2016. Here is the build sheet (Built by Cycle Monkey in Richmond, CA) and a few pics. I am looking into luggage for it now. As spec'd below it weighed in at 36.2 pounds on the shop scale.

-Mike

Muru Witjira Overlander Ti Frameset and Fork
    - Size XL
    Hope Threadless Headset, Includes Head Doctor Cap
    - ZS44
    Headset Spacer Set, Black
    - 1x 20mm
    - 1x 15mm
    - 1x 10mm
    - 1x 5mm
    Dimension 4-Bolt Stem
    - Black
    - 90mm
    - 35*
    - 31.8mm
    Race Face Evolve Handlebar
    - Black
    - 720mm
    - 6* Sweep
    - 0 Rise
    Profile T1+ Aluminum Aero bars
    Ergon GP5 Large Grips
    BB7 - Speed Dial 7 Brake Kit
    - Avid BB7 Brakes (pair)
    - Jagwire Brake Cables
    - Jagwire L3 Liner Housing
    - Avid Speed Dial 7 Levers
    Avid Disc Brake Adapter
    - F180IS
    - R180IS
    Magura Rotor, 180mm
    Magura Rotor, 180mm, 4-Bolt Version for Rohloff Speedhub
    Hope Bottom Bracket, Mountain
    - 24mm
    - Black
    Race Face Turbine Crank Arms
    - Black
    - 175mm
    * 170mm Spaced Version
    Race Face Chainring Bolts
    Profile Racing MTB Chainring
    - Black
    - 34T
    * Symmetrical Teeth
    Blackspire Sub4 Pedals
    - Black
    Wippermann 7R8 Internal Gear Hub Chain
    Thomson Elite Seatpost
    - Setback 16mm
    - Length 367mm
    - Diameter 31.6
    - Black
    Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 XL CC DB OEM black anodized, 32H
    - 170mm Fat Bike Version
    - shifter
    - 2 cables
    - small parts kits(chainring spacers, housing end caps, disc brake bolts, cable box)
    Schmidt SON28 135 ISO Disc for Fat Bikes
    - 32H
    - Black Ano
    - FS
    Sapim Race Spoke, 2.0/1.8/2.0mm, Black
    Sapim Brass Nipple, Black
    Sun Ringle MuleFUT 80SL Fatbike Rim
    - 32H
    - Black
    Surly Rim Strip for Rolling Darryl
    - Fits 65-90mm Rim
    - Black
    Tape for Tubeless Tire Setup
    No Tubes Valve Stem
    Maxxis Mammoth Tire
    - 26 x 4.0"
    - 60tpi
    Hope QR Skewers, Pair
    - Black
    - 135/170mm
    Salsa Anything Cages HD
    Velocity Nylon Bottle Cage
    - Black

Muru build-20151009_180515-80.jpgMuru build-20151010_092324-80.jpgMuru build-20151010_092616-80.jpgMuru build-20151009_134110-80.jpg
    Last edited by mgreen3691; 10-23-2015 at 11:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Lovely bike.

Looking forward to the ride report.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Very nice. Not sure about the aerobars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Is that 36.2 with or without pedals?

Dude.

aka bOb
    I'm really starting to like the All Mountain Forum more and more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Interesting.

Might want to swap out for a straight post if you are gonna jam that saddle all the way forward.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Interesting.

Might want to swap out for a straight post if you are gonna jam that saddle all the way forward.
    I've been down that road before, Thomson saddle clamps have a lot of realestate, and depending on the saddle's rail construction, you end up having to go with the bent Thomson if you want to use their posts. Sometimes their straight posts manage to catch the bend up front on certain saddles. Erikson posts you can get custom layback on. My guess is the OP needs a setback around 10-15 degrees, so not many to choose from.

I have two MTB's bike with custom geometry, after a good many years of stock frames I can finally use a straight post.

Good point, I find having a saddle not mounted in the sweet spot near the middle rides a lot harsher. A long ride from AK to Argentina, I'd give that some thought too

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Aerobars on fatbike

Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    Very nice. Not sure about the aerobars.
    Robertdavid, I added the aerobars for comfort on long slogs when conditions permit. Mostly it is to get off my wrists for a while when I can. I have found on my road tours that they have a secondary benefit of allowing me to lash gear and junk to them which can be really handy sometimes and of course they are nice in stiff headwinds but mostly I need the extra hand positions on longer days.

-Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Is that 36.2 with or without pedals?

Dude.
    litespeedaddict, With pedals. Everything on the list is included in that weight including the seat pictured (which has been swapped out since)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Interesting.

Jonshonda, Interesting topic and thanks for bringing it up. As mentioned I am a long time road rider and I have a lot to learn about the nuances between road and trail. I tried to emulate a riding position that works for me on long distance road tours figuring I would be racking up the miles on this trip more than negotiating technical terrain (I'm 52 not 25). What works for me on the road is all I know and so I had to start there. I am learning as I ride this thing that my seat position is less than optimal in heavily varied terrain. For instance if I climb a steep sandy slope then transition to a groomed fire road that leads to a heavily rutted downhill single track I find they all require slightly different seat positions. I have not figured out the best compromise yet but I will. Having said all that what you see in the pics is a cheap old seat that I took out of the parts bin and slapped on there for the maiden voyage. I completely eyeballed the location (which is about in the middle of the rails) and was just eager to take her out. I have since put a proper WTB seat on and have been experimenting with height/fore/aft positioning.

One other thing to keep in mind is that I am 6'4" which helps in the business world but is a bit of a liability when it comes to off the rack clothing and bicycles hence the angled seat post.

aka bOb
    I sure wouldn't be riding it around these parts in November especially while wearing something brown

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I sure wouldn't be riding it around these parts in November especially while wearing something brown
    Yeah, looks like a Boone & Crockett score to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgreen3691 View Post
    Robertdavid, I added the aerobars for comfort on long slogs when conditions permit. Mostly it is to get off my wrists for a while when I can. I have found on my road tours that they have a secondary benefit of allowing me to lash gear and junk to them which can be really handy sometimes and of course they are nice in stiff headwinds but mostly I need the extra hand positions on longer days.

-Mike
    that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain. Enjoy it. I love my fatty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Cool build but I'm more interested in your route. Every big haul I've heard of like that sticks to the road. If you end up on mostly road the fat tires might add weeks to the journey (trails maybe months). I guess that's what you're going for and more power to you. I'm mainly curious because I have friends who biked from DC to central America (on the road). Keep us posted!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Follow up to my post

I forgot that I had this post out there so I thought I would update it.

I left Deadhorse on June 2nd and made it to Sante Fe on September 7th. The fat bike worked out real nice and I only changed a few minor things with my kit along the way. I got about 4000 miles out of my Vittoria Bomboloni 26x4 tires although admittedly they were looking pretty grim when I got to Banff. In Banff I put on a new pair of 26x4 120 TPI Maxxis Mammoths for the GDMBR which I liked better than the Bomboloni's. After 2000 miles of the GDMBR they still have a ton of tread left. I ran both sets of tires tubeless and had no flats at all.

The Muru ended up being a "creak factory" as my riding partner put it. The rear dropouts where the main source of noise. Although the manufacturer sent me set of aluminum ones to replace the original titanium ones thinking it might help I still could not get things to quiet down and I tried everything! I think the main culprit was simply that the frame, especially the rear triangle, is so flexible. The Muru Swale fork was also very flexy and the BB7 brake pads would constantly rub under even light pedaling input no matter how I adjusted them. The upside to all the flex is that the thing rode like a bagged '61 Eldorado. I mean a real cream puff. With the big tires and flexy frame there was no need for active suspension at all. I may consider a carbon fork in the future.

For those wondering, I found that a fat bike could hold its own on the pavement too. When our plans changed we ended up riding 1500 miles on Canadian highways in 16 days and I could have gone further if called upon. Not my first choice for a loaded road touring rig but it managed multiple 100+ mile back to back sessions with aplomb.

I have a blog on Crazyguy but it's kind of lousy. I decided I hate keeping an online journal so I did not put much effort into it. There may be some useful information in the Equipment section for readers however.

Now that 4 or 5 months have gone by I am getting anxious to get going again in 2017. With Trump in office I may skip Mexico and head straight to South America mid next year.