Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    This thread is a shame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Guys, I never looked at the specs until I saw how they mounted the front d. I too opted for the Muk2 because of the crankset and the wheels-and I have all Sram on my other bikes, and, I loved how it handled. Yes, it performed like a jalopy. But if you want it to run like a porsche, a Shimano frt d seems to fix the issue-it has more usable travel. I picked one up at the local swap meet on the way to the dealer. The mechanic was even better than the rest of the shop, which I do like alot. Great shop, great service-and a fellow Muk2 owner. He appreciated how I had altered my front D to make it work. He too had a workaround to get the front to shift. But he was even more excited to put on the Shimano front to how it worked. Wow, what a difference a little travel makes. If you all want to drink the kool aid even though the emperor has no clothes, be my guest. Just keep pushing that lever, and while you're making excuses why your front hasn't shifted yet, I'll be the guy passing you and disappearing down the trail. It's salsa that needs to step up to the plate and look at what they did wrong. It's not so much the fact that it doesn't work well, but that they refuse to even look at or try to understand the issue. This is a problem with all fat bikes with a 100mm bottom bracket and a standoff from Problem Solvers/907 and a Sram front derailleur. The direct mount is a Shimano design, Sram probably altered it so they didn't have to pay royalties, and the result is it doesn't move as far out as Shimano's, which is why they have specific specs for the mounting location. Have a nice day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Wow, you don't know when to stop...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thought you may like to know the fix, guess I was wrong. Haters just gonna hate, hey?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    No Kool Aid here (too much sugar)... Guess my mechanic must know what he's doing cause my Muk 2 has shifted flawlessly ever since I took delivery....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Who needs a front derailleur anyway? Run it 1x9....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by builder View Post
    Thought you may like to know the fix, guess I was wrong. Haters just gonna hate, hey?
    You may have something good to offer. But, your condescending attitude is completely out of line. The disdain isn't related to the problem you have with the bike but rather the problems you created as a result. You have called out E13, sram, Salsa etc but took no responsibility. I'm pretty sure you deserve the majority of it. You sir, are the hater.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm glad that you found a solution that works for you: that's what is important.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I stumbled across this thread via google-fu because I'm looking at a Muk 2 for myself. This thread compelled me to sign up to comment.

Good lord, what a mess.

This actually made me laugh out loud:
    Just keep pushing that lever, and while you're making excuses why your front hasn't shifted yet, I'll be the guy passing you and disappearing down the trail. It's salsa that needs to step up to the plate and look at what they did wrong. It's not so much the fact that it doesn't work well, but that they refuse to even look at or try to understand the issue. This is a problem with all fat bikes with a 100mm bottom bracket and a standoff from Problem Solvers/907 and a Sram front derailleur. The direct mount is a Shimano design, Sram probably altered it so they didn't have to pay royalties, and the result is it doesn't move as far out as Shimano's, which is why they have specific specs for the mounting location.
    Uh, what?

Now, if you manage to make is past all the bizarre ranting about "smarmy PR types" (LOLWUT) it sounds like a semi-legit problem...but like mentioned before...you think more people would be reporting the same thing. We still did not hear what the shop had to say about the alignment either. If it's a legit shop like you said, I would love to hear their thoughts on it, cause I aint' buying your thoughts.

With all of the asinine/needless (and borderline paranoid, honsetly) anti-business ranting that went on in this thread, I can't even begin to fathom what an epic d-bag this guy must have been to the tech support people for the various brands you dealt with during this little issue.

Also, I would venture to guess when the new shift cable/housing stretches out he's going to have the same "problem" that he had before (that he could not figure out how to post pictures of-that's hilarious in and of itself) but do you think we are going hear about it again either way? My guess is not. Seems like that type of person.

Builder: Bikes are fun. Fatbikes are fun (from what I hear anyway)

Pill, take one.
    Last edited by PancakeAdventure; 01-23-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3