mtbr member

Mukluk Rear Hub Diagram.

Anyone know where i can get a diagram for the Formula rear hub on a Mukluk?

Mine has started making a knocking noise already and i'd like to tear it down and have a look what's going on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedstu
    Anyone know where i can get a diagram for the Formula rear hub on a Mukluk?

Mine has started making a knocking noise already and i'd like to tear it down and have a look what's going on.
    I don't have a diagram, but I have already torn mine apart to regrease the engagement palls. It's pretty simple. Pull the cap on the non-drive side to reveal a 12mm allen lug. Using that lug and the 5mm lug on the drive side, turn the 5mm side off in the direction that is marked on the cap (I believe it's clockwise). Once you have the drive-side cap off, pull the freewheel assembly out of the hub. That's about all you can do without pressing the bearings out. Hope that helps.
    - Joe

"Ride to Live, Live to Ride"

mtbr member
    Thanks for that hooker.

I'll have a look at it later on.

mtbr member
    It came apart just as you said.

Though I did have to remove the cassette lockring and use it as an extractor with a couple of coins under it to get the freehub to break free from the axle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedstu
    It came apart just as you said.

Though I did have to remove the cassette lockring and use it as an extractor with a couple of coins under it to get the freehub to break free from the axle.
    Ouch! I had to pull a little on mine, but it came off fairly easily. Mine was almost new when I pulled it apart though, so the whole hub assembly probably hadn't seated tightly yet. Glad I could help.
    - Joe

"Ride to Live, Live to Ride"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's sad that people have to do this already.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Just curious, as I have two of these awaiting use.

What grease did you use? From the hip, I'd have suggested King Ring Drive lube, but now Du Monde Tech has come out with a free hub lube too, which is pretty sweet.

Was the grease in there sticky and thick? Wondering if someone didn't bother to tell Formula to use a non temperature sensitive grease, as these just might see use in the cold, hmmm.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    So i asked someone from the forums about hub pawl lube, and they said they use car transmission oil, as it is designed for low temp use.....sounds like a great idea. i might have to do this.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    So i asked someone from the forums about hub pawl lube, and they said they use car transmission oil, as it is designed for low temp use.....sounds like a great idea. i might have to do this.
    Might want to test that out on seals and see what happens first. Some AT fluids have additives that are actually designed to swell seals and help prevent leakage in auto transmissions. They also have a detergent additive, which I guess wouldn't be all that bad in theory, but may also have adverse effects on rubber bits in bearings on bicycle hubs.

Different AT fluids out there too, so research would be prudent.

I always used shock grease in my free wheels for winter use. Manitou brand is specifically what I used, which is a thinner grease than normal bearing grease and worked very well for me. Just a thought to chew on for ya.

How much does it weigh?
    Tri-Flow, breakfast of champions.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Yep, fluids aren't all equal in your seals eyes for sure.

Just FYI, the Du Monde stuff is new. It's also the first one to be certified by Mavic for use in it's hubs. They are working with Chris King as well, and a slightly thicker offering may be coming shortly.

The current stuff would likely work well for cold apps.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

How much does it weigh?
    My King runs on Tri-Flow, never skips a beat

My Hadley/Fatback hubs have stock grease, which has worked well into -20c for me.

mtbr member
    no problems with the stock grease in my hadley's or schmidt's SON's even to -40 f...-40c on the other hand...

not really...they work great...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas

Not to sure about that. The manual on my 88 Toyota pickup get's relly sticky if the truck sits for a bit at -20ish. I'm thinking that anything designed to be used in the engine compartment is actually designed for high temps.

dumb ass
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Not to sure about that. The manual on my 88 Toyota pickup get's relly sticky if the truck sits for a bit at -20ish. I'm thinking that anything designed to be used in the engine compartment is actually designed for high temps.

waayyy ot but... switch to a syn 75-90 gear oil. made mine shift like butter at -20.

back ot-- can't see how mtb hubs would hold atf or 90w. a lighter grease or a syn bearing grease would work good. or tri-flow. ymmv.
    Baby seal walks into a club.