Thread: Mukluk rear hub

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017

Mukluk rear hub

Been digging and my google-foo is lacking here.

Have a 2011 Mukluk, which I believe is a Formula rear hub for the stock wheels. I want to use the rear hub from the stock wheel to build a set of 29+ wheels. Built wheels for it (mulefuts on BHS hubs) couple years back. Cant afford to just buy another rear hub right now is the big issue.

Plan is to build 29" mulefut 50s onto the stock hubs and replace bearings and such in them.

So I need to find pawls or a freehub body for it so I have spares since they dont seem to be easy to find parts for.

Yes current hub is perfectly fine atm. But with plans of doing a ride across Iowa (and all training leading up to it) I want to make sure everything will be trouble free. Road bikes arent my thing (ride too rough) and there is a decent amount of gravel roads involved in the trip.

Please tell me someone here knows where I can get pawls or a freehub body!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    you might try this:

https://www.jejamescycles.com/salsa-...ehub-body.html

New old stock Salsa / Formula hubs are on ebay for $80.

per this Salsa does not sell small parts such as pawls:

https://salsacycles.com/files/tech/1...ub_Instr_F.pdf

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There are 2 different 2011 Mukluk hubs, but neither of them were very good.
    One came on the Mukluk 2 and a lower price ( which some say was stronger)came on the Muk3
    I had the version which came on the Mukluk2....I went through 3 hubs ( I had to relace the wheels) before Salsa stopped warrantying them. I weigh under 170....
    The hubs had brittle pawls and the internal hub body would ovalize after a while.
    I'm sure there's some still rolling out in the wild.....but there's a bunch in junk boxes.
    I may still have one or 2....I will look later

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I have the blue mukluk had X7 components. OEM hubs with shebas (previous owners, 2 before me, drilled them at some point). Not sure which version that is but hub has been solid at least for previous owner for the season he had it and the 1.5 seasons my 275lb ass beat on it before building new wheels.

Guessing I have the better of the 2.

Even then, not going to get hammered on, commuting/pavement riding duties with my weight decreasing (back doing ketone till mtb race season starts, fastest way for me to loose weight) and minimal load out. The long ride is fully supported so nothing more than and extra 10lbs above normal load out. Figure pawls will be fine for all that.

Appreciate the help guys!!!!

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

This place needs an enema
    99% sure I have that freehub body in stock. If you want to remove yours and take some pics of it, I can reference those pics when I dig these out to verify.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    99% sure I have that freehub body in stock. If you want to remove yours and take some pics of it, I can reference those pics when I dig these out to verify.
    Will do, thanks

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Been digging and my google-foo is lacking here.

Have a 2011 Mukluk, which I believe is a Formula rear hub for the stock wheels. I want to use the rear hub from the stock wheel to build a set of 29+ wheels. Built wheels for it (mulefuts on BHS hubs) couple years back. Cant afford to just buy another rear hub right now is the big issue.

Plan is to build 29" mulefut 50s onto the stock hubs and replace bearings and such in them.

So I need to find pawls or a freehub body for it so I have spares since they dont seem to be easy to find parts for.

Yes current hub is perfectly fine atm. But with plans of doing a ride across Iowa (and all training leading up to it) I want to make sure everything will be trouble free. Road bikes arent my thing (ride too rough) and there is a decent amount of gravel roads involved in the trip.

Please tell me someone here knows where I can get pawls or a freehub body!

I have a brand new Shimano compatible freehub I just took off my Kona Wozo's Formula fathub as I swapped to an XD driver when the bike was unridden, $25 shipped?

I can post some photos too.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Here is pics of my freehub. Sorry broke my phones camera last weekend in a drunken fat biking otb incident so used my gopro (sucks in close apparently)

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Mukluk rear hub-20180211_184812_resized.jpgMukluk rear hub-20180211_184802_resized.jpgMukluk rear hub-20180211_184749_resized.jpg

Let me know if you need anymore or if interested as it looks a match to me.

(includes a 12mm TA endcap)
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

This place needs an enema
    Here is pics of my freehub. Sorry broke my phones camera last weekend in a drunken fat biking otb incident so used my gopro (sucks in close apparently)

Looks like 6thE has what you need.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Thanks guys, much appreciated, got mulefut 50 29" for $40 each to build. Be able to stay on/under budget for once lol!

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the blue mukluk had X7 components. OEM hubs with shebas (previous owners, 2 before me, drilled them at some point). Not sure which version that is but hub has been solid at least for previous owner for the season he had it and the 1.5 seasons my 275lb ass beat on it before building new wheels.

Guessing I have the better of the 2.
    The blue bike was the Muk 3 and the cheaper hub...which seemed to hold up better
    I believe the blue was sold as a frame also.
    Looks like you found your part.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The 3 pawl Formula hub is used on a ton of bikes under various OE names in all axle widths. Which is unfortunate, as it is a garbage hub. I just finished tonight's ride by destroying my 4th set of pawls in one. I have been on a several month mission to find replacement pawls for them, and so far been unsuccessful. I have bought pawls from various other hub and they have been just different enough not to work.

Fortunately you can buy a complete free hub body with pawls for around $20 on ebay.
    Look for replacement free hubs with a model number FH-503, FH-502, FH-501, or Sram X9 for non XD drivers. I know the 502, and 503 are a alloy body. I think the 501 is steel.

XD drivers are Fh-535, ect.

I have found the most of them being sold as Cannondale, and Specialized replacement parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182247243100

Or spend a couple hundred on ANY other hub, and not worry about it
    Mukluk rear hub-20180212_213916%5B1%5D.jpgMukluk rear hub-20180212_213935%5B1%5D.jpg

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I did notice when I had to replace bearings at less than 300 miles on my cannondale BOTE rear hub it looked familiar. Not had a single problem with pawls and hub has been flawless since I put quality bearings in it. Doesnt look quite the same i dont think, but very similar.

If you read OP, buying a new hub isnt possible for this. Nor necessary for pavement/gravel. The parts are simply for spares just in case. But with cost of the ride (almost $500 plus food and incurred expenses) plus day car 8 hours a day for 3 days of that week as wife/boys will be meeting for last 3/4 days of the ride, a shoe string budget is required. Though at least Square drop camper will be behind her van at that point so food costs drop dramatically for second half.

Trust me Id love to buy a nice new hub. Just not possible anytime soon with other costs including cost of the rest of the wheel build.

Oh and ride is called RAGBRAI. Something everyone I know says I have to experience. And some Mtb trails near the route I may be able to ride if body is up for the extra miles.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com