Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mukluk Carbon

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    On another note I put the race face next sl's that I had on my blackborrow on the mukluk. With the narrower stays, the cranks and ring are too far out for my liking. Real want a 180 cinch spindle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    So what specific bag is it that you are talking about?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedrd View Post
    I like the gap where the top tube bends up above the bag a lot! I can pick the bike up there.
    Oooh, that is a good idea. I have a Revelate Ranger bag floating around. If it otherwise works I'll just roll with it.
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 12:00 RIDER View Post
    So what specific bag is it that you are talking about?
    I guess it is just the old mukluk bag.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

frame bags

Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    Salsa make their own bags starting 2017, so they've stopped using Revelate, and Revelate's frame bags stop at the 2016 models.
    The Salsa bags don't have one for the Mukluk for it yet. The only frame bags they have for 2017 are for the Cutthroat.
    I have a bag that fits my 907 that might work - it's the same general shape, even with the slight 'up' on the seat tube. .
    I had a 2013 9zero7 alloy XL, and the Revelate frame bag made for 9zero7 did not fit my Mukluk Carbon xl very well at all.

I am getting a custom bag from Defiant pack, so if you have an XL you won't even have to make a pattern for it ;-)

I got a Defiant bag for my Blackborow and they were great to work with, affordable and the bag is great. I went with them because I ripped the zipper on my Revelate and wanted a zipper-less design.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_nwb View Post
    How about the Specialized IRCC dropper, anyone using this in cold temps? This is mechanical too.
    The only mechanical part about it is the locking, it is still an airspring.

I had an old Commandpost and it didn't do great in the cold.

I have a Commmandpost IRCC on the mtb, will try and use the dropper a few times the next time we get real cold weather. Right now, (18F) it's fine in the garage(unheated).

mtbr member
    So, for the first time in a long time, I'm downsizing from an XL to a L. I'm right on the edge between sizing, with long arms, which means I usually size up.

But, Salsa adopted 'nu skool' trail bike sizing. They pushed the top tube 2cm longer, which means I'd be running a 4-5cm stem on an XC bike, and the seat tube would be so tall I'd have very limited options for a dropper. Nah.

This is an XC / bike camping bike for me, so I don't need a position that's good for 1-2 hours of ups and downs, I need 4-8 hour comfort. So, for the first time, their sizing saying '180-191cm tall' actually makes sense for 188cm me.

Gonna need a spacer or two, though. And the wheelbase is gonna be freakishly short compared to what I've become accustomed to.
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I bought a GX 1 a few weeks ago. This is my second fat bike and I really like the fit and performance -except for one thing. The chainline with the Aefect cranks and spindle results in a chain line that drops the chain off the cassette. Sometimes this is just irritating like when rolling the back backwards or lubing the chain by running the cranks backward, but for me it's a performance issue in technical terrain or tough snow conditions where I back the crank to a new starting position after a stop. The chain fall to 3rd or 4th gear from 1st and jams into the cogs.
    I didn't notice this much on my initial rides but then we got snow and wind, and I delved into tougher trails.
    The X 1 has a narrower crank spindle, the Turbine, so I'm thinking I'll have to order this to fix my problem.
    It doesn't seem like others with this build are having any issue with this? I'm suprised though that Salsa would spec a bike with a build that in some way is designed to fail...
    I guess the advantage to the wider spindles are, for fatter tire / wheels combinations and more heel clearance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_fit View Post
    I bought a GX 1 a few weeks ago. This is my second fat bike and I really like the fit and performance -except for one thing. The chainline with the Aefect cranks and spindle results in a chain line that drops the chain off the cassette. Sometimes this is just irritating like when rolling the back backwards or lubing the chain by running the cranks backward, but for me it's a performance issue in technical terrain or tough snow conditions where I back the crank to a new starting position after a stop. The chain fall to 3rd or 4th gear from 1st and jams into the cogs.
    I didn't notice this much on my initial rides but then we got snow and wind, and I delved into tougher trails.
    The X 1 has a narrower crank spindle, the Turbine, so I'm thinking I'll have to order this to fix my problem.
    It doesn't seem like others with this build are having any issue with this? I'm suprised though that Salsa would spec a bike with a build that in some way is designed to fail...
    I guess the advantage to the wider spindles are, for fatter tire / wheels combinations and more heel clearance.
    Have you tried a SRAM chain? I've had back pedal issues with KMC chains that were fixed by switching to SRAM.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    This sounds to me like a slightly bent derailleur hanger.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    All the GX1 builds have the chain drop issue. At the store, REI, we compared mine to a brand new one on the floor and it has the same problem.The X1 build sitting on the floor at REI has the shorter Turbine spindle and does not drop the chain when run backwards in first gear.
    REI called Salsa. Salsa confirmed that chain drop is a known issue with this build and suggested that I should have bought the X1 build if I wanted a better performing shifting, or just never run the crank backwards. Kinda lame from a company whose byline is 'Adventure By Bike'.
    REI didn't have any Mukluks when I ordered mine -I wouldn't have thought to run the drivetrain backwards anyway.
    A SRAM chain would probably help since they seem to have 'looser' tolerances or are perhaps engineered toward 1x11 setups somehow.
    However REI has ordered the Turbine crankset which they offered to sell to me at wholesale and take the original crank in return. They agreed that the bike shouldn't have come this way and they too were disappointed in Salsa's response to the problem.
    I suspect for many riders this will not be an issue but for me it is. Yesterday I was riding a boardwalk bridge about 18" wide, half covered with snow and ice. I lost my balance, had to put a foot down, repositioned my pedal from a 6 o'clock to 2 o'clock position and the chain dropped from 1st to 3rd or 4th gear so I could not start pedaling again, then had to get off and push the bike to flatter, easier ground to get started again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    All the GX1 builds have the chain drop issue. At the store, REI, we compared mine to a brand new one on the floor and it has the same problem.The X1 build sitting on the floor at REI has the shorter Turbine spindle and does not drop the chain when run backwards in first gear.
    REI called Salsa. Salsa confirmed that chain drop is a known issue with this build

I have the GX1 carbon and have not had any issues with backpedaling, in all kinds of conditions.

However, I have mostly been running it with a 1.5 year old hub with XD driver and 10-42 cassette, so perhaps the new hub, had a bit more friction in the free hub body, perhaps the XD casette sits a tiny bit out.

I did a few rides on the stock chainring, no issues, but most of my rides have been on an Absolute Black chain ring.

If you don't want to switch to a different crankset, the first thing you could try is swapping a BB spacer to the non-drive side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Frame bag for New Mukluk -moved post

Moved post
    Last edited by Tjaard; 02-06-2017 at 09:14 AM. Reason: moved post

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Frame bag for new Mukluk

just got my Defiantpack frame bag for the new Mukluk.

I have had zipper failure on my previous frame bag, so I wanted to keep it zipper-less.
    Defiant does great work and they are super fast and very helpful.

Features:
    2 stash pocket along side top(orange fabric)
    Internal mid panel compression strap with buckle to undo it.
    Wide mouth opening with one hand
    Reenforced bolt-on attachments

So, if you have the XL carbon, you won't even have to mail in a tracing of your frame, since they already made a pattern from my tracing.

Here is a first pic just to give you an idea. The bottom velcro straps are loose because this is a bolt-in bag (using the bottle cage mounts) and I wanted to see how it sat without the velcro. So, if it seems it sits wel and is stable I will remove those completely.

Attachment 1119878

Attachment 1119879

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    REI called Salsa. Salsa confirmed that chain drop is a known issue with this build and suggested that I should have bought the X1 build if I wanted a better performing shifting, or just never run the crank backwards. Kinda lame from a company whose byline is 'Adventure By Bi....
    You may consider spacing your chainring over if it has chainring bolts. Does it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    All the GX1 builds have the chain drop issue...
    ...I suspect for many riders this will not be an issue but for me it is.
    I've been riding the stock GX for months in all sorts of conditions and the chain has never dropped. Not that I doubt that it's happening to you, this is just the first that I've heard of this from anyone with this bike either online or from the handful of people I know in my area that have the same build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Follow-up to backpedal chain drop issue.

Ultimately REI switched the stock 190mm Aeffect crank for a 170mm Turbine crank that comes on the X1 build. This has solved the problem for me. Now in 1st gear (42 tooth) I can rotate the crank backward without the chain dropping to a smaller cog on the cassette.

As others have suggested this is a chainline issue; the chain is more angled or cross-chained as a result of a longer spindle on the crank. Though the Aeffect crank is made in a 170mm spindle length, the tolerances are such that it won't work on this frame which is why Salsa specs the 190mm.

Other adjustments like switching bottom bracket spacer, switching to a SRAM chain and adjusting the derrailleur have helped other riders with different bikes but I tried all those and none were enough to fix it for me.
    As I said in an earlier post, this may not be an issue for many riders but it was for me and I would have bought the X1 build instead had I known.

mtbr member
    Just ordered Mukluk Carbon -frame.
    Does anyone have Next SL -cranks on Mukluk carbon, is it 170mm or 190mm spindle?
    I have had couple Beargreases before and now wanted to try Mukluk. Going to build it with carbon wheels and probably Sram Eagle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I also have the GX1 Muk. No chain drop issues or gear shifts when back pedaling for me. Which way was the chainring installed? The GX1 should have the chainring in normal position due to the wider BB spindle and affect crank. The X1 and Turbine crank has the chainring flipped. Just wondering if REI got some bikes with the chainring wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My GX1 had the chainring in the normal position, as did the other one sitting on the floor at REI and the one at another bike shop in town. To be clear the chain drop only occurred in first gear where 1/4 revolution resulted in a drop.
    I did hear from Salsa on the issue. They said the 170 crank was spec'd on the other builds due to the resulting narrower Q-factor and not the chainline difference. Both are significantly influenced by the 20mm shorter BB spindle however.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    GX1 alternator position
    Today I noticed the Alternator dropout on my bike came in the long position. I believe the other carbon builds are shipped with the dropout in the short position. I moved mine to the short position which results in a chain that's too loose. I was able to tighten the chain by tightening the B screw on the derailleur about 6 revolutions which seems to take care of it. Maybe this adjustment is obvious to folks with more bike-smarts. I did read Salsa's Alternator 2 instructions but saw no mention of how to accommodate for the slack chain so maybe this will be helpful to other riders.

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Shamus, 190. Some of us are trying to get some 180s made, which would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Still waiting cranks and new drivetrain to arrive, but wanted to go out and ride!

Mukluk Carbon-32264629264_3cd9103a73_b.jpg

Mukluk Carbon-32264630074_c70087e6d9_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Finally got my Mukluk ready...
    After three Beargreases I have now been riding two weeks with Mukluk and have not noticed any major differencies. Very happy with this.

Mukluk Carbon-33440347665_1673670543_b.jpg

Mukluk Carbon-33057229260_742a7345fd_b.jpg

Mukluk Carbon-33399854096_bcde4c1c8f_b.jpg

Mukluk Carbon-33057233150_8f22818d3f_b.jpg

Mukluk Carbon-33440348235_4e5a975a9e_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    GX1 alternator position
    Today I noticed the Alternator dropout on my bike came in the long position. I believe the other carbon builds are shipped with the dropout in the short position. I moved mine to the short position which results in a chain that's too loose. I was able to tighten the chain by tightening the B screw on the derailleur about 6 revolutions which seems to take care of it. Maybe this adjustment is obvious to folks with more bike-smarts. I did read Salsa's Alternator 2 instructions but saw no mention of how to accommodate for the slack chain so maybe this will be helpful to other riders.
    The B screw is used to set the proper gap between the top derailleur pulley and the sprockets (about 6mm) for smooth shifting, not to adjust chain tension. Too great a gap will result in slow or sloppy shifting. If the chain is too slack you may need to remove a link or two to shorten it.
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE=ShamusWave;13084478]Finally got my Mukluk ready...
    After three Beargreases I have now been riding two weeks with Mukluk and have not noticed any major differencies. Very happy with this.

Nice bike. Great pics.
    Last edited by bikedrd; 08-01-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    Finally got a proper fork on my Mukluk! Manitou Mastadon 120. Stiffer and better damped than the Bluto.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12