mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Mounting BB7 to Carver Carbon O'beast

This is for a Mukluk 2: I was sent home from the shop with a 5 mm spacer that's too wide, looks like a 2.5 mm would be about right. Also looks like I need a mount spacer as the body of the brake hits the fork between the mounting bolts.

I'll go to the shop to get these things, but I want to know if I'm on the right track?

mtbr member
    Go to the Carver website for instructions. When I mounted my o'beast fork on my Muk with the stock wheel set, I used the 5mm spacer Carver included and my Juicy 5s with a 160 rotor installed easily.

all about the all about
    What hub are you using?
    .. If I see this bike on display with those GT bars, I am bringing my hacksaw!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Using a regular front spaced hub my rotors just hit the fork. I had to grind down the fork slightly so the rotor would clear. I wasn't thrilled to grind on the fork but it has not caused any problems so far. No problem with BB 7 caliper hitting the fork but I use 185 mm rotors so that puts the brake caliper in a different place.
    Last edited by sryanak; 12-20-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was wrong about the caliper hitting the fork, got that part working. As above, the rotor just rubs the fork, not too excited about shaving it down either.

I can't find any instructions on the Carver site, but I think there is an actual clearance issue.

Fat & Single
    Theres a few of us that were in the same boat, i cut up an old brake rotor.... cut the centre out of it and used it as a 2mm spacer. Then ordered a couple of Hope 2mm spacers from CR.

My issue was using Hope Floating rotors, if i was using regular rotors i would have been ok with the 5mm spacer, the Hope rotors are fat and the rivet joiners from the alu to steel braking surface stick out wanting to shave your fork.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Using a regular front spaced hub my rotors just hit the fork. I had to grind down the fork slightly so the rotor would clear. I wasn't thrilled to grind on the fork but it has not caused any problems so far..
    What??????? You ground your carbon fork??????

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    What??????? You ground your carbon fork??????
    It was that or no front brake.
    Latitude 61

Lord Thunderbottom
    I had the same issue with the carver fork and salsa enabler hub, the carver supplied spacer was too thick, it would mount but then all of the adjustment space for the caliper was used up (bb7's)

I ended up using some 2mm nylon washers behind the rotor, no more issues

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    It was that or no front brake.
    You'll soon have no front teeth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mounting of brakes on the carver fork is not a precision operation, there is a fair bit of slop in the barrel nuts inside the carbon fork. I thought mine was off at first but ended up working perfectly. A simpler option would be to use 6 aluminum washers instead if it just won't fit. (after all, the spacer puts the rotor closer to the fork) Just make sure the screws don't bottom out before they tighten up properly.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Whoa. Grinding the carbon fork? Whoa.

Whoa.

Stop.

It should fit fine. I mounted mine with the same setup. O'Beast carbon fork, their supplied spacer, Salsa stock front hub, stock Avid brake rotor, and BB7 (and then XO hydros). No clearance issues of any kind. Something is amiss.

Install story here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thank you all for your concern but I think my fork will be OK. I only had to remove a tiny bit of carbon around where you can see the exposed barrel bolt. It did not get anwhere near the fork legs and did not take more than .03" away from the surface around the barrel bolt. It is an early fork and I suspect they built that area up more than they intended. It is a 185 rotor so both posts were in the way.

That said it is never fun to have to customize new anything let alone carbon fiber things.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Stopped at a shop that suggested moving the barrel nuts, but as I think about it, that would move the caliper, not the rotor.

I'll have to come up with some make-shift spacers while I wait to see what Carver says.

I like the carbon weave, mine came all black? Don't know if there was a mold change or just finish.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Response from Carver:

"We run into this occasionally. Since they are hand molded, there can also be some variation between forks, as well as hub setup.

There is actually quite a bit of variation among front hubs. The gap between the rotor and caliper mount is as small as we could make it, for braking rigidity. Occasionally we will encounter a rotor hitting the caliper mounting studs. Sanding the rotor spacer a bit or gently sanding the caliper mount will take care of the problem, and won’t affect the performance or warranty. Depending on the hub, a very thin shim washer behind the locknut will work as well."

all about the all about
    Quote Originally Posted by gi02sl View Post
    I like the carbon weave, mine came all black? Don't know if there was a mold change or just finish.
    My Carver fork also arrived with a gloss black finish.
    I may be in the minority but I much prefer all black to the look of carbon/black fade.

mtbr member
    I'm using a salsa hub, o'beast fork, and bb7's as well. After installing the 5mm spacer my rotor comes within a rotors width of the fork. Even when flexed while turning there is no rub, but it was disconscerting at first. My solution would have been to use some smaller washers as spacers to bring the rotor back to center within the caliper. As it sits now my bb7's caliper adjustment is maxed out distally.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    After filing down the spacer about .5 mm I got the clearance I needed. I like c/f weave, but the gloss black without decals looks really good on the Muk 2.

all about the all about
    Quote Originally Posted by gi02sl View Post
    After filing down the spacer about .5 mm I got the clearance I needed. I like c/f weave, but the gloss black without decals looks really good on the Muk 2.
    Post a pic of that beauty!

mtbr member
    I wouldn't deal with it if I were you! You are better off selling that misfit fork to someone who, say, lives near you....hint..hint

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Fork mounted, ready to go. Sorry Jesterrider, I'm gonna keep it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mounting BB7 to Carver Carbon O'beast-muk2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I just put the carver obeast on my bike.
    The skewer is not sitting all the way in the metal dropouts.
    The first time it went I had a hell of a time getting it out and I am not even sure if it went all the way up.
    Can I lightly file down the metal drop outs to make it fit.
    I have salsa formula hubs laced to surly rolling darryls.
    Anyone have this happen to them?
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    chris