Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 433
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    120

    Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.

    Just posted and due 9/15. Hmmm. X5/X7 build with Bluto or 1999? What do you guys think?
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...t-titanium.htm

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sparky697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    68
    Interesting.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Live Free & Ride
    Reputation: NH Mtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,094
    Interested when they become available as frame only!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Interested when they become available as frame only!
    And me as well. Wouldn't mind a frame set myself.

  5. #5
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,371
    Still with those enormously long chainstays though...

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    No moss...

  6. #6
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,966
    i love how they copy and paste comments from the MTBR forums as customer endorsements. Technically, those comments are copyrighted by MTBR.com and their appropriation, even with attribution, may be regarded as theft, depending on how protective of ip they are here.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    i love how they copy and paste comments from the MTBR forums as customer endorsements. Technically, those comments are copyrighted by MTBR.com and their appropriation, even with attribution, may be regarded as theft, depending on how protective of ip they are here.
    Sponsor's of MTBR, from what I've read, may use posts from MTBR. Fine print from being a forum member, you don't own your posts.

  8. #8
    MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    382
    If it's anything similar to my experience with the current moto x7 than rehaul everything to correct assembly, ditch the tires for something better like Surlys and hope the frame is designed well with acceptional welds and alligned dropouts. My frame's geometry is off more than a walmart bike with a bad offset in the rear. Reassembling will reveal any problems but it could be a steal if kosher.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,715
    Titanium is a temperamental material to work with - I'm more than a bit dubious BD quality, especially with this material. No thanks.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blowery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
    If it's anything similar to my experience with the current moto x7 than rehaul everything to correct assembly, ditch the tires for something better like Surlys and hope the frame is designed well with acceptional welds and alligned dropouts. My frame's geometry is off more than a walmart bike with a bad offset in the rear. Reassembling will reveal any problems but it could be a steal if kosher.
    It has Sunringle Mulefut Tubeless rims, no reason at all to switch rims. I wouldn't say the surlys are better.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
    If it's anything similar to my experience with the current moto x7 than rehaul everything to correct assembly, ditch the tires for something better like Surlys and hope the frame is designed well with acceptional welds and alligned dropouts. My frame's geometry is off more than a walmart bike with a bad offset in the rear. Reassembling will reveal any problems but it could be a steal if kosher.
    Quote Originally Posted by benlowery View Post
    It has Sunringle Mulefut Tubeless rims, no reason at all to switch rims. I wouldn't say the surlys are better.
    He said to ditch the tires, not the rims.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blowery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    He said to ditch the tires, not the rims.
    you are right
    reading comprehension fail

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Titanium is a temperamental material to work with - I'm more than a bit dubious BD quality, especially with this material. No thanks.
    They've been making Ti bikes for years, no? Have there been a lot of breakages?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    They've been making Ti bikes for years, no? Have there been a lot of breakages?
    Their 29er Ti frames are bomber. Three of my friends have the 2010 version and two of them have riden the TDR on their bikes.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch R. View Post
    Their 29er Ti frames are bomber. Three of my friends have the 2010 version and two of them have riden the TDR on their bikes.
    Cool, just wanted to see if there were any actual reports of their frames being bad.

  16. #16
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,224
    Two of my friends just bought bikes from them... One for his wife, the other for himself.
    The guy that bought the one for his wife bought an X7/X5 cable disc brake bike. Fine for the beach riding she's going to do with it.
    The other guy bought an X9 bike with Guide brakes. VERY nice. Wheels are heavy.
    No issues with the frames at all. The welds on Chinese bikes are surprisingly nice.
    I haven't heard anything bad about their Ti frames. I'd probably buy one if I thought I could make use of a Ti bike.
    I like turtles

  17. #17
    Live Free & Ride
    Reputation: NH Mtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,094
    Yeah their frames are legit...built by Kenesis, like a lot of other quality bikes out there. They save coin on the parts spec and yes, the heavy wheels. If it were available at the time, I would only bought the Bullet frame and fork combo they have now. Still a very good option to buy the whole bike and upgrade over time...real happy with the bike and can still wheelie it no prob with the longish chainstays!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WSUPolar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    197
    I am too happy with my Borris frame to spend the coin.

    But so very glad to see them release it.

    Hoping that their Motobecane line comes out with a legitimate FS Fatty before long.
    MacGyver is my spirit animal

    -Until proven wrong, assume you are the weak link in any system-

  19. #19
    Hooligan
    Reputation: dirtdawg21892's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    935
    so when are these shipping? i want to see some pics.
    the ti night train could be my next bike (unless i find a deal on a mutz)
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boo Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Yeah their frames are legit...built by Kenesis
    I don't think Kenesis does Ti frames, just aluminum. I think it is Ora Engineering that does the frames for BD. Still, solid, legit, I wouldn't worry at all about riding one.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

  21. #21
    Live Free & Ride
    Reputation: NH Mtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Bear View Post
    I don't think Kenesis does Ti frames, just aluminum. I think it is Ora Engineering that does the frames for BD. Still, solid, legit, I wouldn't worry at all about riding one.
    You're right, just the aluminum frames come out of that factory I believe. I also like the ti Bullet and you just can't beat the price for a quality ti frame like this anywhere.
    Good article on the new ti bike here: First Look: Motobecane Sturgis and NightTrain titanium fat bikes - Mtbr.com
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boo Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    322
    Did a ride with a guy on a Motobecane Ti mountain bike. Very nice in person, and he loved it. Good rider, too.

    I've always loved ti- wanted a Seven ti roadie for years. There are a lot of custom ti builders out there that will take a lot of your money for one of their frames. I think in the end I'd just do steel instead, save a buttload of money.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    FAT BIKE 16-FT301_Products_Ora Engineering Co., Ltd.

    The Motobecane Frame Ti from Ora.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    i love how they copy and paste comments from the MTBR forums as customer endorsements. Technically, those comments are copyrighted by MTBR.com and their appropriation, even with attribution, may be regarded as theft, depending on how protective of ip they are here.
    I don't think being called out for copying other people's stuff is a big concern of BD.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I don't think being called out for copying other people's stuff is a big concern of BD.
    Nice.

    Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelterock View Post
    No - that is not the frame but Ora does excellent work. They are one of the top if not THE top Titanium fabricator.

    Here are the actual shipping Motobecane Titanium Fatbikes - Sturgis and Night Train Bullet. The weld quality is pretty amazing and these have an incredible ride quality.

    Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-screen-shot-2015-09-17-2.13.54-pm.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-screen-shot-2015-09-17-1.59.28-pm.jpg

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    Sure looks like it but hard to tell because bd only shows one picture of the Ti bike. Down tube looks simpler forming that the Ora frame but everything else looks spot on. Maybe a custom variation? What is the Reach and Stack of your 21" frame? ETT 651mm is good for my 6'7" height but would like details...

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    19
    With this waiting Ihave had too much time to research upgrades/mods to the bike.

    Right now I'm thinking of going to a 1x and ordering some carbon wheels.
    Stock will be perfectly fine for Fall/Winter but some tubeless carbon rims with a 1x seems to be my optimal setup.

    Other than that Im working on my list of comments for the carbonites who will ask endless questions.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanBrewer View Post
    With this waiting Ihave had too much time to research upgrades/mods to the bike.

    Right now I'm thinking of going to a 1x and ordering some carbon wheels.
    Stock will be perfectly fine for Fall/Winter but some tubeless carbon rims with a 1x seems to be my optimal setup.

    Other than that Im working on my list of comments for the carbonites who will ask endless questions.
    Which one? Sturgis or Night Train? What size frame? I'm close to pulling the trigger.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    636
    now if you could get it with a carbon fork instead of the Bluto...

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelterock View Post
    Which one? Sturgis or Night Train? What size frame? I'm close to pulling the trigger.
    I went with the Night Train Bullet, Sturgis Bullet for my wife. I'm 6'2.5 and all torso so I wanted the XL. My road bikes are 62cm. 29er is XL, 26 Moots is similar.

    The carbon fork from BD looks interesting too. Price is good but I'm used to ordering from the QBP catalog. Looking forward to Fall/Winter riding.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    Great 2 Ti's, one of each. It'll be great to hear your take on them.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    19
    I can guarantee my wife will benefit from the lower weight from going tubeless and likely carbon wheels. Otherwise I will be carrying everything on our brewery tour rides.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    Welp, I signed up on here after browsing for ever and pulled the trigger on a pre-order Night Train Bullet Ti two days ago. The waiting game begins. This will be my first fatbike and I'm anxious to get it in. I am guessing I am at the end of the pre-order line but have no idea how long that line is. If anyone receives any shipping information please post it or let me know. Thanks!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by T-X-N View Post
    Welp, I signed up on here after browsing for ever and pulled the trigger on a pre-order Night Train Bullet Ti two days ago. The waiting game begins. This will be my first fatbike and I'm anxious to get it in. I am guessing I am at the end of the pre-order line but have no idea how long that line is. If anyone receives any shipping information please post it or let me know. Thanks!
    I wouldn't be surprised if they ordered quite a few extra of each size to optimize the order. You may have the shortest wait of everyone. Tick tock.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    31
    I got on the line Wed 9/23. So far I have a record of payment going through - but have not heard anything from bike direct (they mention confirmation within 2 days on their web site iirc. Spartan Brewe & T-X-N, have you received your order confirmations?

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    750
    It took 2 business days for me to get my order confirmation, that came along with a UPS tracking number. The tracking number won't show movement until the bikes are actually en route to you. They all say 30 lbs for ship weight, but that doesn't mean your bike is going to be sub 30 lbs - although I hope your Ti bikes get close.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    31
    It would be great if they are close - but I am hardly holding my breath on that one. The Al frame was 2.2kl (4.85lbs) in the Fatboy compairson video. I tried to find ti frame weights online - but only found one fatbike frame with a posted weight, and it was 4.4lbs. There might be a few oz here or there for the Ritchey components, but there probably really is not that much weight to save w/o major changes.

    The real question is what is the live weight of a 2016 Al Night Train - and I will cross my fingers about beating it by 1-2lbs. But will get the TI feel ...

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    @mousehunter I received an emailed receipt from PayPal and my card was charged but no email from Bikes Direct. This was late Wednesday night the 23rd. Hopefully they've been too busy unloading a container of bikes and it will be processed soon!!!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    166
    BD is reporting on their Facebook page that the Ti Sturgis is in stock and shipping.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    31
    Website for Night Train shows Preorder/Prepay dates - but appears that was removed from Stugis - so they updated that as well.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by mousehunter View Post
    I got on the line Wed 9/23. So far I have a record of payment going through - but have not heard anything from bike direct (they mention confirmation within 2 days on their web site iirc. Spartan Brewe & T-X-N, have you received your order confirmations?
    I was on the line Wednesday night as well. I received a confirmation from PayPal and my card was charged but no order confirmation from BikesDirect, so that adds to the anxiety. Hopefully they've been too busy unloading bikes from containers to be on the line themselves.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    31
    Not a huge amount of anxiety here. I don't know how they are organized, but I suspect when a container comes in, they get busy.

    I will start getting anxious when I start seeing unboxing and first impression pictures and threads.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    I've been wanting a fatbike for a year now, I tried to order a Lurch in July but missed out. Now that I finally decided and ordered I'm ready! LOL

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    31
    Understand - Every year I dream about getting a new sea kayak in April. Last few years my wife has visited her mother in June (her mother lived near DC, which has better sea kayak shops than Texas). Well, 2 years ago, I did not get off work to go on vacation with her. This last year did - but they did not have the boat I wanted in stock in Annapolis. So when I got back to Austin I went to my local shop and tried to order it, and a new Yakima rack. The kayak company said they were sold out, try again in January. Yakima said they were sold out (of clips for my car), will be in the next shipment. That was early June, got the call today that my clips had come in... 3+ months for the rack clips. Further from the kayak than when I started (since I ordered this bike).

  46. #46
    Hooligan
    Reputation: dirtdawg21892's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    935
    i really wish that i needed another fat bike and had 2k kicking around, ive always wanted a TI fatty. I will be watching this and drooling
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    19

    Shipping update

    I have the Paypal confirmations and one order confirmation.


    A few minutes ago I received notice that both the Night Train and the Sturgis have arrived and that they would be shipping out shortly!
    Last edited by SpartanBrewer; 09-25-2015 at 02:08 PM. Reason: New information

  48. #48
    Live Free & Ride
    Reputation: NH Mtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,094
    I was in the same boat this time last year....checking emails for shipping confirm and tracking number. Felt like Xmas in Oct waiting for my new NTB to finally arrive. The box will come and you will be happy! Just check for a bent rear hanger....that was the only thing that bummed me out when it did show up. Good luck and post it up!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    19
    I was talking to a friend who owned a bike shop and sold Cervelo as his main line of bikes. He reminded me of the stress he was under waiting for $5+k triathlon bikes to arrive after he had customers calling daily for updates. All had prepaid and wanted their ride immediately....and God forbid there was an issue.

    When we see first hand the process of bikes coming in from overseas it gives us a glimpse of the industry.

    BD should be given serious props for being transparent with the process and taking a lot of public heat.

    In thend, it's all about biking and getting more people on bikes.

    Ride on!

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    I sell Industrial equipment that takes a semi to move and generally has an 8-10 week lead time from order and I am constantly amazed at the people who can't believe we don't keep 4 of every flavor in stock and can't mobilize to have it on site next week. So I get it and am not hating on BD at all. I'm worried they may be sold out of the preorders and I was too late pulling the trigger (which would be my luck). Not to mention I'm taking a week off sometime in October and heading to the mountains in Northern New Mexico, sure would be nice to take a brand spanking new Titanium fatbike with me!!

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    Sturgis Bullet Ti went from pre-pay to in stock. Same deal as pre-pay. Now just got to work up the nerve to spend $2k.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    So is anyone planning on making any modifications immediately upon receiving the bike and if so, what?

    I know there were issues with cassettes chewing up the Aluminum freehub in the past. Has that been remedied? I would be fine paying to upgrade the cassette out of the box to not have any problems down the road.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    31
    I probably will not. I will accessorize and personalize it pretty quickly, but other than possibly/probably going tubeless - I need to get some miles under my tires before I would really appreciate upgrades. Part of the reason I went with the Night Train over the Sturgis is it has some (perhaps minor) upgrades that could keep me from fiddling for a while.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    19

    Hope Upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by T-X-N View Post
    So is anyone planning on making any modifications immediately upon receiving the bike and if so, what?

    I know there were issues with cassettes chewing up the Aluminum freehub in the past. Has that been remedied? I would be fine paying to upgrade the cassette out of the box to not have any problems down the road.
    Will switch to a 1x in the Spring. Tubeless right away.

    Carbon rims after I drop 20lbs.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by T-X-N View Post
    So is anyone planning on making any modifications immediately upon receiving the bike and if so, what?

    I know there were issues with cassettes chewing up the Aluminum freehub in the past. Has that been remedied? I would be fine paying to upgrade the cassette out of the box to not have any problems down the road.
    I paid for one on the 23rd, it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I got the Sturgis Bullet model since I'll be swapping drivetrain/brakes from my current bike (fatboy with Shimano XT brakes/drivetrain and Race Face Turbine Cinch crankset - 1x in the summer, 2x in the winter). I plan on swapping the Bluto for a Framed Alaskan Carbon fork in the winter as well, and setting the wheels up tubeless.

    The description on BikesDirect shows that the cassette body is steel: NOVATEC D202SB-X12MM-S4S ALLOY REAR DISC HUB W/ STEEL CASSETTE BODY

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    750
    The freehub body that came on my Sturgis last spring was steel. Not only were the cassettes eating the aluminum freehubs, but the pockets that the pawls rested in were also deforming on the aluminum freehubs, compromising the pawl alignment and engagement. Flawless operation on the sturgis bullet, and even the quick release sliding dropout Lurch, since switching to the steel body. Patiently awaiting movement on my new Night Train bullet - hope to see tracking number activity today.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    Good to know Watermonkey, thanks. That was really my only concern. I will be going tubeless as well and will be adding a rack to the back. Then I'm gonna ride the hell out of it for a while!

    I still have not received an order confirmation from BD and I have thoroughly vetted my spam folder. I have emailed them requesting an order confirmation so hopefully I'll at least have that this afternoon.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by T-X-N View Post
    Good to know Watermonkey, thanks. That was really my only concern. I will be going tubeless as well and will be adding a rack to the back. Then I'm gonna ride the hell out of it for a while!

    I still have not received an order confirmation from BD and I have thoroughly vetted my spam folder. I have emailed them requesting an order confirmation so hopefully I'll at least have that this afternoon.

    I received shipping confirmation for the Night Train I ordered on 7/6. No word yet on the Sturgis which I ordered later in the month. FIFO?

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanBrewer View Post
    I received shipping confirmation for the Night Train I ordered on 7/6. No word yet on the Sturgis which I ordered later in the month. FIFO?
    Hi - bikes arrive and ship out as soon as possible. We don't do FIFO We ship as soon as available "ASAA"

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by joebikesdirect View Post
    Hi - bikes arrive and ship out as soon as possible. We don't do FIFO We ship as soon as available "ASAA"
    ASAA - love it.


    Following both bikes on UPS. Hope to be riding Friday night.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    BD emailed me back yesterday afternoon with my order confirmation. My shipping label was created and looks like the bike is scheduled to ship tomorrow the 30th. I order a lot of parts and equipment from DFW and I know the UPS routes by heart, I should be riding Friday night as well!!!

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    31
    Wife got shipping info and I got sales confirmation yesterday afternoon. Not exactly sure why my wife got an email (but I guess UPS cross referenced our address with her email account). Good thing I already warned her it was coming.

    Wife's email said delivery today, mine said it had not shipped yet. Wonder which is correct.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    Mine's waiting at the UPS store for me to pick up after work!

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    I pulled the Trigger on the Sturgis Ti. Got my PayPal bill, waiting on the other emails, shipping etc... I feel good about it.

    H

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    I want to set up tubeless...but what rim strips do I need? I looked on Amazon and Stan's doesn't have a "fatbike" kit that I could find. Will the Sunringle 60mm rim strip work for the 80mm Mulefut wheel?

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    31
    I was assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that all assembled wheels came with rim strips (to protect the tube) - the only reason to change would be for weight or bling (changing color, etc...). I have googled a little, am somewhat curious about the skinny stripper thread (it looks lighter than the gorilla tape method). That said, did see some older threads that use HD shrink wrap - which seemed even lighter (cheaper, and more redneck).

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by T-X-N View Post
    I want to set up tubeless...but what rim strips do I need? I looked on Amazon and Stan's doesn't have a "fatbike" kit that I could find. Will the Sunringle 60mm rim strip work for the 80mm Mulefut wheel?
    Nevermind.. I have found that if I slow down and read things thoroughly it usally helps, lol
    From Amazon:
    About the Product

    Specifically designed for the Sun-Ringle' Mulefut 80mm FatBike tubeless compatible rim

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by mousehunter View Post
    I was assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that all assembled wheels came with rim strips (to protect the tube) - the only reason to change would be for weight or bling (changing color, etc...). I have googled a little, am somewhat curious about the skinny stripper thread (it looks lighter than the gorilla tape method). That said, did see some older threads that use HD shrink wrap - which seemed even lighter (cheaper, and more redneck).
    Good info. Hopefully yours comes in tonight and you can unbox and check it out. I worry about these things because I live in rural area so can't just run down to pick rim strips up. And I HATE when I order the wrong size of something and I have to try again next weekend!

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by T-X-N View Post
    I want to set up tubeless...but what rim strips do I need? I looked on Amazon and Stan's doesn't have a "fatbike" kit that I could find. Will the Sunringle 60mm rim strip work for the 80mm Mulefut wheel?
    SunRingle sells a tubeless kit including rim strips and tape, since the Mulefut is a tubeless compatible rim. The wheels should come with rim strips, and I would imagine that the strip that comes with the wheels would be the same as the kit to make tubeless conversion possible. That being said I'm going to use bright duct tape as a rim strip, as I have several times in the past. This time I plan on using Sun Ringle tape instead of Gorilla/Transparent Scotch.

    Here's an article on the Mulefut that discusses tubeless setup: Sun Ringle MuleFĂĽt Fat Bike Rim Brings the Snow, Plus More from Hayes Components

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupathingee View Post
    SunRingle sells a tubeless kit including rim strips and tape, since the Mulefut is a tubeless compatible rim. The wheels should come with rim strips, and I would imagine that the strip that comes with the wheels would be the same as the kit to make tubeless conversion possible. That being said I'm going to use bright duct tape as a rim strip, as I have several times in the past. This time I plan on using Sun Ringle tape instead of Gorilla/Transparent Scotch.

    Here's an article on the Mulefut that discusses tubeless setup: Sun Ringle MuleFĂĽt Fat Bike Rim Brings the Snow, Plus More from Hayes Components
    Here is the link to the rim specs and some pdfs on set up we got from Sun-Ringle for the MuleFut rims

    FYI - you will have to add your own tubeless tape, valve and sealant

    Mulefüt 80SL | SUNringlé

    Index of /products/sun-ringle-mulefut-rims

    hope this is helpful

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    Mine's waiting for me at UPS, I'll unbox and put it together tonight. I won't be setting it up tubeless right away because I neglected to order the tape earlier. If anyone has any questions I can answer let me know.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    Just Got my order confirmation on Sturgis Ti. Maybe here next week, dare say late this week......

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    Got my bike after work today, the box was beat to hell, but everything seemed to be fine. It was packed well with lots of little protective bits. I put it all together and the wheels look true enough, but the brakes need to be bled.

    Took it around the block and rode it off curbs. Love the Bluto, haven't been on it enough to get a feel for the frame. Size large weighs 35 lb 6 oz stock with pedals (34 lb 10 oz without pedals). It's quite a bit heavier than my Fatboy (28 lb 8 oz without pedals), but the Fatboy has carbon fork/bars/seatpost, and is 1x Shimano XT with lightweight 120tpi tires set up tubeless. I plan on swapping all the parts over this weekend, all I'm keeping on the Motobecane is the frame, fork, and wheels. I hope it gets down to 31 lb to match what the Fatboy would weigh with a Bluto (estimate), but I won't hold my breath.

    I can get specific pics if anyone has any questions. Frame has an Ora sticker.

    Name:  2JZgfWIm.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  12.0 KB
    Last edited by Chupathingee; 09-30-2015 at 07:18 AM.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    31
    Is that weight before or after pedals

    Will try to find a fishing scale to report back on a small Night Train when mine comes in.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by mousehunter View Post
    Is that weight before or after pedals

    Will try to find a fishing scale to report back on a small Night Train when mine comes in.

    With pedals, 45NRTH Heiruspecs, 12.4 oz for the pair. I'm glad you pointed that out, since I didn't have pedals on the Fatboy when I weighed it.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    732
    I bet you hit 31 or very close to it.

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    24
    I'm just curious, does anyone know what the Night Train Bullet with Al Frame weigh in at?

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by T-X-N View Post
    I'm just curious, does anyone know what the Night Train Bullet with Al Frame weigh in at?
    According to this article, about 37 pounds without pedals: First Ride: 2015 Motobecane NightTrain Bullet Fatbike | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

    It's worth noting that my bike is a Sturgis Bullet Ti, and thus the appropriate Al comparison would be a Sturgis Bullet, not a Nighttrain Bullet. That being said the quick googling I did didn't turn up a Sturgis Bullet weight.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupathingee View Post
    Size large weighs 35 lb 6 oz stock with pedals (34 lb 10 oz without pedals).
    Mine will be here Friday. Ordered on 9/29, shipped that night, moving faster than I can ever think of pedaling myself! This is the fastest this bike will ever travel!

    I ordered the XL 21" and last night ordered some Xpedo XMX24C Spry pedals and a shock pump. That will be it for a while as I figure out tubes no tubes, geometry for my 6'7" frame.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    Completely forgot to mention, there was one part that was different from the listed spec - the front hub is not 150mm, it is 135mm with spacers. On one hand I know the spec sheet is "expected" part list, but on the other I do feel like having paid for the second most expensive fatbike they offer I should get the part listed. I'm going to contact them and see if I can get the correct front hub, and I'll update with what happens.

    EDIT: It's not a hub with spacers, watermonkey corrects me in the following post, and schools others in the sturgis/nighttrain thread: Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread
    Last edited by Chupathingee; 09-30-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: I'm dumb.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    750
    The D201sb front hub is not 135 mm with spacers, its a `150mm hub that can be converted with the use of different end caps to run a thru axle or quick release depending on the end cap configuration. Its been covered before, and there's a lot of info on these wheels and parts specs in the Sturgis/night train thread. You didn't get screwed or misled.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    The D201sb front hub is not 135 mm with spacers, its a `150mm hub that can be converted with the use of different end caps to run a thru axle or quick release depending on the end cap configuration. Its been covered before, and there's a lot of info on these wheels and parts specs in the Sturgis/night train thread. You didn't get screwed or misled.
    I'm not sure I should believe you, since your signature says not to take your advice ;-)

    I've only experienced hubs in the past that have caps that insert into the hub, not those that snap onto the outside like these do. I'm not sure I'm a fan. Thank you for clearing it up, I'll be sure to reference those other threads.

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    750
    Yup - no worries. It had alot of people baffled the first time these showed up too. However, you will be screwed if you lose these endcaps, as sourcing Novatec aftermarket parts is a total PITA. So if you flat in the wilds, make sure you keep track of these things when you pull the front wheel, or you'll be an unhappy hiker, not biker.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    I took the pedals and the reflectors off to weigh it again, since I realized that tends to be how people weigh their bikes...

    This is a completely stock 19" Motobecane Sturgis Bullet Ti, and it weighs 34 lb 8 oz (34.5 pounds). This is consistent with the weight I got earlier with pedals/reflectors.

    Name:  it9zQ7Hm.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  8.3 KB

    Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-sgvauzol.jpg
    Last edited by Chupathingee; 09-30-2015 at 06:42 PM. Reason: fixed typo

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    328
    Keep in mind- The first ride article from singletracks.com weight was for the older NightTrain Bullet in the Largest size.

    2016 NightTrain and NightTrain/Sturgis Bullet will be quite a bit lighter due to lighter rims Tubeless Compatible MuleFut and RaceFace cranks When you convert to tubeless, then they will be even lighter still

    Quote Originally Posted by Chupathingee View Post
    According to this article, about 37 pounds without pedals: First Ride: 2015 Motobecane NightTrain Bullet Fatbike | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

    It's worth noting that my bike is a Sturgis Bullet Ti, and thus the appropriate Al comparison would be a Sturgis Bullet, not a Nighttrain Bullet. That being said the quick googling I did didn't turn up a Sturgis Bullet weight.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    328
    Awesome! We've not had a chance to weigh one of these as they sold too quickly. Many sizes are sold out or close to that.
    Please let us know what it weighs when you convert to tubeless?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chupathingee View Post
    I took the pedals and the reflectors off to weigh it again, since I realized that tends to be how people weigh their bikes...

    This is a completely stock 19" Motobecane Sturgis Bullet Ti, and it weighs 34 lb 8 oz (34.5 pounds). This is consistent with the weight I got earlier with pedals/reflectors.

    Name:  it9zQ7Hm.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  8.3 KB

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sGVaUZol.jpg 
Views:	1256 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	1019192

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    Mine travelled across the great state of Tennessee from Memphis to Nashville to Knoxville last night. Anticipation is high.

    Can anyone shed light on the Dropper Post routing? External I would think, or is there room for internal routing?
    H

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    328
    Hi - these Motobecane Titanium and aluminum fatbikes have external dropper seatpost routing that runs along the underside of the top tube.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelterock View Post
    Mine travelled across the great state of Tennessee from Memphis to Nashville to Knoxville last night. Anticipation is high.

    Can anyone shed light on the Dropper Post routing? External I would think, or is there room for internal routing?
    H

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by joebikesdirect View Post
    Hi - these Motobecane Titanium and aluminum fatbikes have external dropper seatpost routing that runs along the underside of the top tube.
    Thanks Joe, Are we talking a spot to zip tie the cable, not a hole for internal routing then?
    H

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    31
    IIRC the Titanium bikes do not advertise internal cable routing, and both the website and the user picture above show external cables.

    I would not suspect that the advertised seat post guides are internal.

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    19
    If I wasn't out of country Wednesday when the Sturgis and NT arrived I would have ridden all day. Took about 20 min to setup each bike. Sturgis had zero derailleur prep so it added 2min. The NT shifted flawlessly out of the box.

    The welds on these bikes are amazing.
    Tapered head tube is an impressive chunk'O metal.

    After an initial 3hr tour I can say that I am completely satisfied. If the legs permit, I'll log another three today.

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupathingee View Post
    I took the pedals and the reflectors off to weigh it again, since I realized that tends to be how people weigh their bikes...

    This is a completely stock 19" Motobecane Sturgis Bullet Ti, and it weighs 34 lb 8 oz (34.5 pounds). This is consistent with the weight I got earlier with pedals/reflectors.

    Name:  it9zQ7Hm.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  8.3 KB

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sGVaUZol.jpg 
Views:	1256 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	1019192
    Sweet looking bike! Can you do me a favor and measure the front center for me (distance from BB center to front axle center, with handlebars as straight as possible)?

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Sweet looking bike! Can you do me a favor and measure the front center for me (distance from BB center to front axle center, with handlebars as straight as possible)?
    Sure thing, I'll do that this evening.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelterock View Post
    Thanks Joe, Are we talking a spot to zip tie the cable, not a hole for internal routing then?
    H
    There are no holes for internal routing that I've noticed. I'll check this evening and see if there is a dedicated route on the bottom of the top tube for the dropper cable.

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    received the bike tonight. It's magnificent. Frame and welds look great. The mulefut novatec combo is sweet. The Snowshoes are 4.5" 72tpi single compound huge! Only flaws are scratch on the crank none drive side and an O in motobecane is slightly disfigured. I love it. Pouring Rain here in NY. No test drive till tomorrow.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image.jpg
    The only flaws are slight scratch and decal damage.
    Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image.jpg
    90mm stem on XL 21"Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image.jpg
    Beautiful headtube & logo
    Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image.jpg
    Sweet white 100mm Bluto

    I'm impressed. It's a quality piece. Can't wait to get out on the sand with it.
    Assembly was bars to stem, 4 bolts, 6 bolts for front rotor, end caps on front hub and install on bluto, pedals and align stem and front wheel.
    I removed the wheel reflectors but mounted the front reflector and adjusted the rear. They may come off altogether but we'll see or not be seen!

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Sweet looking bike! Can you do me a favor and measure the front center for me (distance from BB center to front axle center, with handlebars as straight as possible)?
    28 inches.

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelterock View Post
    I'm impressed. It's a quality piece. Can't wait to get out on the sand with it.
    Assembly was bars to stem, 4 bolts, 6 bolts for front rotor, end caps on front hub and install on bluto, pedals and align stem and front wheel.
    I removed the wheel reflectors but mounted the front reflector and adjusted the rear. They may come off altogether but we'll see or not be seen!
    You've still got the film on your headtube logo :-D

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupathingee View Post
    You've still got the film on your headtube logo :-D
    I do? Didn't notice, will check in morning. Starred at it after dinner this evening. Felt like I was 12 again, when I bought my first real BMX with my own money.
    That new bike smell....

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupathingee View Post
    28 inches.
    Thank you very much!

    EDIT: wheelbase looks to be much longer than listed on the published geometry chart
    Last edited by OhioPT; 10-03-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2106 FOX 34 release date?
    By SUB1647 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 03:31 PM
  2. Marzocchi 350 NCR Release Date?
    By staz in forum 27.5
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2014, 01:24 PM
  3. Fox 34 release date?
    By capslayer in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-30-2012, 04:43 PM
  4. Fox 34 release date?
    By capslayer in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 03:49 AM
  5. Fox DHX-air release date?
    By Renegade in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Members who have read this thread: 152

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •