Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    One day maybe

mtbr member
    I'm still loving my NTB Ti and smile every time I ride it, even after almost a year. ive put it though its paces many times, probably more so than most people. I've upgraded a few things on it but still have a ways to go.

Here it is with rear FBR and front Bud on 100mm tubeless wheels, Sunrace 11-42 rear and 22/32 front. Does anyone know if a 2XL clears in the back? It looks like it might. The Bud clears the front ok but I had to remove the fender. I have a straight fork for winter to run a larger tire.

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-img_1356-l.jpg

I even went bikepacking with it this year on an 80 mile long ATV trail. It looks positively massive compared to my wife's Trek with 26x2.2's on it.

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image-l.jpg

It it wasn't exactly svelt but the bike handled it well and the wider tires were perfect with the crappy trail surface. My wife kept washing out with her 'thin' tires.

I cant can't wait to go again but next time whenever it's warmer so we can leave the 0° sleeping bags at home.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    @Dilligaf what rear rack is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    This one.

Ibera Rack IB-RA4 (for Non-Disc Brake Mounts).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I have a dilemma I need some help with. I have FINALLY convinced myself to buy a Fattie, and after much research I settled on the night train bullet (aluminum). I just tried to order today, and its out of stock. Do I step up and hit the titanium for another 500? Or do I drop back to Sturgis bullet at 1500? Any suggestions ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I can't see you ever regretting the Ti if you can afford it.

mtbr member
    I am not sorry at all and would buy the same bike again in a minute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I think I'm finally convinced to pull the trigger. Anyone aware of a better derailleur hanger option for these things? I saw a better machined option for the aluminum frame out there, but haven't seen one for this Ti frame. Or perhaps these are a little higher quality than the aluminum frame's hangers in the first place?

Here's the seller for the other frame:

Motobecane Derailleur Hangers

Won't stop me from buying, just curious.

mtbr member
    I have not had an issue with mine at all and it came with a spare that I keep on the bike just in case.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Glad to hear it! I caved in last night and bought the NTB Ti. I've been thinking about it way too long, so I decided I need to quit wasting time.

Thanks for the info on this forum! I'm sure I'll be back with questions.

Merendon Junkie
    Has anyone ran their Night Train ti with 27.5 plus wheels?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Received the bike on Thursday and have been loving it! It's exceeding my expectations. I'm really digging the titanium, although it probably wasn't necessary. I'm considering a rigid fork replacement for the salty minnesota winter, but I haven't decided yet.

@Dilligaff, out of curiosity, what size is your frame and what size is your frame bag? Just trying to get a reference so I can pick a size of that bag.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    It's a large frame and the large frame bag. I have the medium as well which gives a little more room for a water bottle but for this trip I wanted more space.

I picked up a rigid fork for $50 used (with axle) just for winter to run a 2XL in the front.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    It's a large frame and the large frame bag. I have the medium as well which gives a little more room for a water bottle but for this trip I wanted more space.

I picked up a rigid fork for $50 used (with axle) just for winter to run a 2XL in the front.
    Great, thanks for the info! Is that a steel fork that you're running? I'm not crazy about the idea of carbon. I might grab a Framed aluminum fork or something on the cheap end, but I need to do a little more research at this point to see what's out there.

mtbr member
    No, it's aluminum. It was a take-off from someone who switched to a Bluto. I'd love a carbon but the $$$ just isn't there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-dsc_0015-min.jpg

First snow day with the new bike--what a blast! I love this thing, just need to find a good rigid option before I salt the Bluto to death.

mtbr member
    Well, I couldn't find anyone who tried to fit a Vee Snowshoe 2XL on the rear of a Night Train Titanium, which are not the same as the aluminum version. I am sorry to say they don't fit on 100mm wheels, but I have not tried them on 80mm wheels yet.

But it is a tad larger than my FBR tires, which measure out to be 4.7" almost exactly (100mm wheels) and work flawlessly. The 2XL measures 5.03" on the same rim, which doesn't sound like a lot until you put them next to one another.

Just thought I'd provide an update. I have a take-off rigid aluminum fork it will fit on easily that I'll swap on for winter.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for the update, I was hoping the XXL would fit! I'm still on the 80mm rims, but I'm still probably out of luck.

Which aluminum fork are you running? I go back and forth between just running the Bluto in winter and grabbing the Framed alloy fork for a seasonal swap. Loving the Bluto, I just don't want to wreck it with salt.

Merendon Junkie
    This is my Night Train with plus wheels and tires. I really like how it rides with them. It will be my default configuration from now on, leaving the fat tires for those extra chunky trials or beach rides.

There was some bb drop vrs the fat wheels but the BB is still about 1 cm higher than my El Mariachi 29er with 2.4 tires.

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-dsc_7406.jpg

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-dsc_7408.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've had mine almost one year now and have been riding it year round.. tight technical, off-camber rock climbing, dirt, snow.. anything in the way. Love the bike!

Tonight I mounted a new rear tire, Origin 8 Tsunami and over-tightened / broke the rear thru axle (so damn worried about a loose axle ruining the rear hub / freehub as discussed in the Motobecane Night Train thread).. Does anyone have a good source for a couple replacement rear thru axles?

Thx!

Update: Axle is M12x1.75x229 -- found some options online after lots of searching. You can go back to Bikes Direct for a replacement, but would encourage the SRAM Maxle Ultimate RR as it looks like a lot better quality. I have the latter on the the way for a back-up.

I did run by the hardware store and picked up their smallest EZ-OUT / drill bit set and took my time w/ it and was able to get the broken bolt out. Then I chased the threads w/ my tap set, ran the new screw through the die to make sure it had good threads, and slapped everything back together w/ a few drops of blue lock-tight -- took it for a quick ride in the neighborhood and it was great w/o loosening.

Happy riding all...
    Last edited by th1npower; 12-20-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Update

Hooligan

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.

I swapped out my stock hub for a bitex one from bike hub store. This will be my third one, (I sold the others with the bikes they were on.) I would recommend them to anyone. For the price they absolutely can't be beat. 54 engagement points and readily available replacement parts for the win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Hooligan
    I also put on a carbon fork. It saved bout 2 pounds over the bluto and it rides nice.

I've also been working on setting up the mule foot rims with kold kutters, and those have been pretty fantastic. I have been running 4.8's on 100mm rims for powder and 4.0 on 80's with spikes after it settles and gets icy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Replacement through-axles?

Quote Originally Posted by th1npower View Post
    I've had mine almost one year now and have been riding it year round..
    over-tightened / broke the rear thru axle

Update: Axle is M12x1.75x229 -- found some options online after lots of searching. You can go back to Bikes Direct for a replacement, but would encourage the SRAM Maxle Ultimate RR as it looks like a lot better quality. I have the latter on the the way

Hey th1npower,

Sorry for the creative editing of your post, but was wondering if you received/have some time on the SRAM replacement axle. If so, still recommend it?

All,

Anyone else have to replace their rear axle/have a recommendation for one?

Mine is behaving strangely, and I'd rather replace it before it forces me to do so.

Thanks!
    Paul

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ..I didn't get the Maxle in the end b/c it was delayed, out of stock, and said the hell w/ waiting since mine was fixed.

a mtn bike & dirt bike buddy is a helluva machinist and will make me a new one if/when needed.

I still think the Maxle looks a LOT more durable and well-built compared to the stock Kinesis axle. Almost all the reviews from on here say the Maxle is the way to go (kind of like a Hope rear hub)...
    ..sleep is good...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    I swapped out my stock hub for a bitex one from bike hub store. This will be my third one, (I sold the others with the bikes they were on.) I would recommend them to anyone. For the price they absolutely can't be beat. 54 engagement points and readily available replacement parts for the win.
    I have been running one of these hubs on my Mukluk for 1.5 years with zero issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ..I didn't get the Maxle in the end ...
    Thanks th1npower,

Glad your solution has worked out well for you.

I appreciate the lead on the Maxles, and the thread spec you gave above. Will follow up once I've ordered/used a replacement. For now, the Kinesis one is still hanging in there, but just barely.

Thanks,
    Paul

mtbr member

Update: Axle is M12x1.75x229 -- found some options online after lots of searching. You can go back to Bikes Direct for a replacement, but would encourage the SRAM Maxle Ultimate RR as it looks like a lot better quality. I have the latter on the the way for a back-up.

I did run by the hardware store and picked up their smallest EZ-OUT / drill bit set and took my time w/ it and was able to get the broken bolt out. Then I chased the threads w/ my tap set, ran the new screw through the die to make sure it had good threads, and slapped everything back together w/ a few drops of blue lock-tight -- took it for a quick ride in the neighborhood and it was great w/o loosening.

Happy riding all...
    I'm also looking for a better quality replacement rear axle for my Sturgis which is also a 12x1.75x229. The SRAM Maxle being sold at ebay are 12x1.5x229.

Any leads as to where I could get the 12x1.75x229 SRAM Maxle if there are any?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scottspark60 View Post

Any leads as to where I could get the 12x1.75x229 SRAM Maxle if there are any?
    Dear Mr. Spark,

With th1npower's suggestion/spec in hand, I found a Maxle Ultimate on amazon.

Will report back when I have it in hand and have put some time on it if you can wait a bit.

Otherwise, I see that Bike Parts | Road Bicycle Parts | Bicycle Repair Parts - Niagara Cycle also have them, and I have heard good things about them in the past (have never used them).

Good luck,
    Paul

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scottspark60 View Post
    .. Any leads as to where I could get the 12x1.75x229 SRAM Maxle if there are any?

Thanks.
    As JPaul suggested go w/ Amazon. Otherwise, http://robertaxleproject.com/ ...looks like a great bolt-on axle.

Best of luck!

Micah
    ..sleep is good...

mtbr member
    As JPaul suggested go w/ Amazon. Otherwise, http://robertaxleproject.com/ ...looks like a great bolt-on axle.

Best of luck!

Micah
    Thanks Paul and Micah.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quick follow up on ordering a through axle from Amazon:

Ordered per specs discussed above (12x1.75x229), but received an axle with 1.5 pitch.

I'm assuming it is a pick/ship error based on the item description (see details below), but can't for the life of me figure out how to communicate w/Amazon that I would just want to exchange for the correct item.

Will be returning it tomorrow, and likely order from Niagara once I return from holiday.

Paul

-------FWIW, The specifics of what I ordered in case anyone is feeling lucky------

https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Ultimate...229&th=1&psc=1

- Product description includes: "RockShox Maxle Ultimate 20mm Thread M12x1.75 Rear"

- One of the answered questions also specifically touches on the 1.75mm threading

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Quick follow up on ordering a through axle from Amazon:

Ordered per specs discussed above (12x1.75x229), but received an axle with 1.5 pitch.

I'm assuming it is a pick/ship error based on the item description (see details below), but can't for the life of me figure out how to communicate w/Amazon that I would just want to exchange for the correct item.

Will be returning it tomorrow, and likely order from Niagara once I return from holiday.

Paul

-------FWIW, The specifics of what I ordered in case anyone is feeling lucky------

https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Ultimate...229&th=1&psc=1

- Product description includes: "RockShox Maxle Ultimate 20mm Thread M12x1.75 Rear"

- One of the answered questions also specifically touches on the 1.75mm threading
    I just had and issue with them shipping me a rear derailleur instead of a front derailleur. They actually did it on the original order and replacement order. The manufacturer boxes were correctly marked. Someone had put the wrong Amazon sticker on it.

Returns/exchanges go something like this. Go into your orders. Click on the item in question. Select return/replace. Fill in the radio box for incorrect item. I think it then pops up a box to fill in with comments on the item, issue, and if you want a refund or replacment. Somewhere in there you can either choose to do the return by email, chat, or phone call. I did phone call on the original and then followed up with an email because they wouldn't 1 day ship or give me anything for their mixup (they changed it to 1 day shipping and gave me $5 credit). When the replacement showed up wrong they didn't have anymore in stock so I did email and complained about their repeated mixup and got another $10 credit. And then I ordered from somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    Somewhere in there you can either choose to do the return by email, chat, or phone call. I did phone call on the original and then followed up with an email
    Thanks, Cerpss, will look for that next time. A phone call or e-mail would have been ideal.

Cheers,
    Paul

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Greetings everyone, I posted in the main Sturgis/NTB thread, but I thought I'd dig here as well.

I've had my NTB Ti for about 6 months now and have been pretty happy with it. Unfortunately, about a month ago it developed a 'tick' sound when i stand on it or crank pretty hard in the 3 or 9-oclock position. I was pretty sure it was the BB, and sure enough it didn't look too pretty when I pulled it out (see attached pictures). The outer shells are cracking where they mate up with the sleeve. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this failure? Over torquing during installation? Perhaps the Ti frame flexes too much in this area? I'm 160 lbs, so I kind of doubt that this is the issue.

Meanwhile, bikesdirect requires that I go into a LBS and they have to handle a warranty claim thru Race Face. I'm not sure how well that's going to go... and based on my experience so far, I'm not sure I want another Race Face part.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-img_20170608_174324.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-img_20170608_174346.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-img_20170608_174715.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-img_20170608_174728.jpg

Merendon Junkie
    Weird that it has lost material like that. Looks like its has been nibble on by a mouse! Mine also had a clicking/creaking sound when pedalling hard. After lots of trial and error, I was able to isolate it to the rear axle. Tightened the axle a bit more and the sound went away almost entirely. I think these frames are somewhat flexy although I dont know if that could cause that to the bb cups. The bb shell is a very stiff piece, I doubt it flexes much or anything at all. Most of the movement is in the stays.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'd agree that the BB area is stiff enough where this should never happen. I do not ride the thing very hard either. I actually just re-installed the BB right now without the sleeve and what do you know--no more ticking sound. I think I'll just run it like this with no sleeve and see how it goes. I should mention that I did run it through a nasty salty Minnesota winter, so that could have had something do do with it. When I pulled the cranks earlier this year, there was a salty mess between the spindle and the bottom bracket sleeve. This leads me to believe that it really doesn't matter whether or not I use the sleeve, crud is going to get in there regardless. Bearings were still in great shape, so I'm going to just run with it and I'll buy a new BB if things don't work out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Interesting BB wear

curious, are there corresponding chips on the aluminum sleeve?
    I'd almost think that it might be preexisting damage from before assembly...

the jagged edges look like its been scraped on something
    while damage from flexing I'd expect to be more along the lines of cracks

my opinion on those sleeve pieces? pointless, a better way to protect the bb from water, is to have a drain hole in the bottom of the frame.
    Silly that its no longer a standard feature. Because water will get inside no matter what, have to let it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by xenologer View Post
    Interesting BB wear

curious, are there corresponding chips on the aluminum sleeve?
    I'd almost think that it might be preexisting damage from before assembly...

the jagged edges look like its been scraped on something
    while damage from flexing I'd expect to be more along the lines of cracks

my opinion on those sleeve pieces? pointless, a better way to protect the bb from water, is to have a drain hole in the bottom of the frame.
    Silly that its no longer a standard feature. Because water will get inside no matter what, have to let it out.
    Thanks for the insight. There was not a scratch on the sleeve, only on each side piece. The bearings are still solid so I'm just running it with no sleeve at the moment.

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Looks like somebody tightened a BB cup down without the sleeve aligned correctly and it dug into the skirt of the cup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxfixed View Post
    Looks like somebody tightened a BB cup down without the sleeve aligned correctly and it dug into the skirt of the cup.
    Was thinking the same thing, though I am surprised it took 600 miles to make the sound it it truly was installed incorrectly. This was the first time I had it off. If there's a next bike for me from BD, I'll be doing a much better inspection of the assembly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    Does the old axle work with the new hub or do they send an axle with it??? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tankhead10 View Post
    Does the old axle work with the new hub or do they send an axle with it??? Thanks
    If you are asking about the through axle, they are typically frame specific not hub specific.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    If you are asking about the through axle, they are typically frame specific not hub specific.
    So should be good to go then? SRAM XD Drive not shimano 10/11 correct?
    Last edited by tankhead10; 1 Week Ago at 08:48 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That damage on the BB cup looks like galvanic corrosion. Could be between the Ti BB and the cup. Would not take but a small amount of salt water. I best be checking mine. I bought a Ti Night train bullet last November and have put about 1200 miles on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Too late - the boat has sailed for 2017.
    Thinking about a NTB but gotta wait till 1-2nd week of sept with DB.

Grrr...not sure if I can wait, as summer riding season is in full swing.

Disclaimer : My last bike was a SC FS and I hung up riding a couple years back. Boy, things have changed. Front derailleurs are museum pieces now.

I've got kids in my house now, one 2 years and another turning 4 next month.
    I've decided to get a new hardtail bike (mainly as the thule bracket for the ridealong won't play well with my FS).

Was initially looky at SC Muk/Beargrease, but both seem to be non avail locally in my size and it has to be aluminum and not carbon due to the baby seat factor...

While researching, I came across DTB and I'm leaning in the NTB Ti. I'd like to get more riding time with the lil ones as we have all 4 seasons, so riding in June, July and August would be nice.

What to do.....wait for the TI or not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The NTB Ti is a good baby mobile!
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 5.39.29 PM.png
Views: 70
Size:  192.7 KB

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ..awesome! :-) so great seeing the lil' ones out.. nice set-up!

Have fun!
    Happy riding,
    Micah
    ..sleep is good...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345