Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yes- hence use only a tiny dab and silicone is probably best

mtbr member
    I finally took the NTB out for a spin despite still being so sick I can barely breathe.

I love the bike. I removed the Snowshoes and installed my Nates tubeless with Zip tape, SunRingle strip, and 3 oz Stans each. It's down to 33# 12oz with the 424 pedals and the rest stock. I'll get it down a little more with lighter bars, stem, seatpost, saddle, and a carbon fork for winter. I'm also going to ditch the 36T for a 32T which is what I'm used to on the Pugs, although it was only a 11-28.

I have to say, I love this bike. It is so much less like a truck than my Pugs and more like a mountain bike. The X9 shifters take some getting used to coming from XT's, but maybe they'll be OK after I get used to them.

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image-l.jpg
    Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image-m.jpg

The Nates are much more aggressive than the Snowshoes, handle better at lower pressures, and are only 2mm narrower than the Snowshoes on the same Mulefut's at the same pressure (with the same tube), 4.5" wide my butt!

Nate:

Snowshoe
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    I finally took the NTB out for a spin despite still being so sick I can barely breathe.

I love the bike. I removed the Snowshoes and installed my Nates tubeless with Zip tape, SunRingle strip, and 3 oz Stans each. It's down to 33# 12oz with the 424 pedals and the rest stock. I'll get it down a little more with lighter bars, stem, seatpost, saddle, and a carbon fork for winter. I'm also going to ditch the 36T for a 32T which is what I'm used to on the Pugs, although it was only a 11-28.

I have to say, I love this bike. It is so much less like a truck than my Pugs and more like a mountain bike. The X9 shifters take some getting used to coming from XT's, but maybe they'll be OK after I get used to them.
    Hope you feel better soon! I'm an XT snob so I just move my XT drivetrain from bike to bike (started on my Moonlander, then my Fatboy, now on my Sturgis Ti). I run with a Framed Alaskan Carbon fork during the winter and would vouch for it so far (~100 miles?) Post #257 of the current thread

That's really interesting about the Nates being so close to the Snowshoes. I was just about to ask why you went with a much smaller tire. I had heard that the Snowshoes were much smaller than their listed size. I've been considering 4" tires for summer use myself - now that I have the Bluto I don't need the extra "suspension" of 5", and I don't need the float on dry singletrack. I loved the Knards on my Krampus so that's likely what I'll end up with if I go that route.
    Motobecane Sturgis Ti
    Kona Big Unit Single Speed
    Salsa Deadwood
    Trek Emonda ALR 5
    Soma Rush
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I was just looking into the panaracer Jack n nibble for spring.......tubeless of course. man I love this bike....been riding for a long time. Raced. A couple 24 hour races... but i did a 19 mile trail ride Sunday, it was supposed to be a five hour ride. I did it in 2.40 hours and had a great time. I love love this bike

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I installed the rear rack and switched from a 36t to 32t while adding a bash guard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I installed the rear rack and switched from a 36t to 32t while adding a bash guard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-L.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	1035986
    could you send me info on the rack?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pjm1969 View Post
    could you send me info on the rack?
    Yep, in this thread.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yep, in this thread.
    @Dilligaff: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dilligaff again.
    This is good info - thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hello all. I wanted to post some pics of my two bikes (Specialized AWOL and Sturgis Ti) and then I have a few questions...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The question is I have been reading the Bluto tuning thread and I wanted to post a few pics of my fork and tell me if it is sagging (un waited)? Is it fully extended? I can't really understand the labels on the fork stanchion tube.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The fork is a 100mm bluto, but each fork has 3 labels for 80,100,120mm so find the middle scale for 100mm then saddle up gently next to a wall and with the red band see where she settles on the 100mm scale. Sag is set by air pressure. The fork also has a psi scale for your weight as a starting point. My req is to ride hard with the corresponding psi to your weight and see how far up the orange rubber moves. If you bottom out it will go all the way to the top. Hard ride with one or two bottom outs is perfect. Sag will be set by air pressure. Rebound is a red knob on the bottom of the stansion. Slow rebound if you like by twisting it towards the turtle.
    H
    2016 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet Ti
    2015 Specialized FatBoy 24"
    2016 Motobecane Boris X5
    1988 Peugeot Orient Express

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks my brother for all that and more reps your way

However, looking at the pic, could you surmise if my fork is all the way up in the un weighted position?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Looks right to me. Do you have a fox shock pump? Mine has a gauge on it that showed, stock, that it was set for 140lb person. I'm 260lbs so I had to pump it up to ~135psi from ~90psi to get the thing to fell solid. If you have the pump it's real easy to inflate or bleed off pressure. I would start at the recommended psi for your weight and then see if you use all the travel it provides. I'm no stunt rider so I'm set up a little soft for my weight and enjoy the travel and smooth ride.
    H
    2016 Motobecane Boris X5

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Colder weather affects this shock in a few ways but mostly by cold lowering the pressure. So give it a few whacks of the pump in the winter to keep a consistent feel. The grease inside can also break down in really cold weather. The bluto tuning thread goes way over the top with mods and winter lub kits etc. if you really want to dive deep, check it out
    2016 Motobecane Boris X5

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    All is well. I just was asking. Yes I have a shock pump. I just wanted to make sure I was starting at full extension. Been reading about negative air release if air gets trapped down below. Thanks all

Hooligan
    Got to ride the TI and AL back to back today.

They are both awesome bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Any difference you noted?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    [URL=http://s183.photobucket.com/user/tankheadxb9sx/media/DSC01251_zpsia9msrvo.jpg.html][/URL

Here is what it looks like after a 2 hour ride yesterday. Log overs but mostly tame switchback single track. Less than 3 inches of movement and I had it set for 5 psi less than recommended.. What say you guys? All good?

mtbr member
    Drop 5 more psi and see how where the indicator lands.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Will do. Gracias amigo

Hooligan
    Any difference you noted?
    The TI rides noticeably smoother, but the AL has a much sharper looking frame.
    The AL was a bit too small and the TI too large, so I think I'm in for a 17.5".
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    HHAHA, that bike looks very familiar and that water looks cold

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Received my 21" Ti night train 11-18-2015 ordered 11-15-2015; Awesome. Been riding a surly Pug 13k miles for three years. Put 125 miles on it new NT and Novatech rear hub pawls failed in free wheel. Contacted novatech direct and they shipped replacement pawls and spring next day by USPS. USPS failed delivery, but finally got them in 6 days later. Went to remove front snow shoe to put in light tube damage damn bead. OMG pissed! Tight fit I have ever seen. Put surely nate 120 tpi off old pug. works great. Went for first ride after pawl failure. Bike falls over while putting bar mitts back on and breaks off damn DR drop out. Thank god it ships with spare. Ensure you lock tight the hex screw on drop out, lost mine after first ride.

Should be spare screw with spare drop out. This is my fourth BD purchase, I have a Ti 29er and wife has original 15" BD fat bike that was released 2 years ago. I have nothing but great things to say about BD. My original Ti29 frame failed after 15k miles, and they warrantied it, but took 3 months to get, but they upgraded it to new design with tapered head set. Worth the wait!

I am extremely hard on bikes. Actually cracked the surly frame on drive side rear drop out at 10k miles. Welded back up and modified structural support.

BD does not have the replacement drops out listed on their web site yet; gone contact them direct to get a new spare.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-20151118_163926.jpg  

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-20151207_084415.jpg  

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-20151207_084439.jpg  

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-20151221_082119.jpg  

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-20151221_082136.jpg  

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-20151221_082212.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Biffed hard today. Came in hot with two log overs ten feet apart. Big back tire hit first log and shot me right over the bars....ego bruised along with cuts on ankle and legs....bike is fine. Used full travel. All is well.

mtbr member
    I am absolutely LOVING this bike and the way it rides. I went exploring out in North Conway, NH yesterday and went up stuff I knew I would have trouble with on the Pugs but the bike just performed flawlessly. I have found I have to keep my weight on the front more when climbing steep stuff because it wants to rise but it's a great trade-off for when I need to just blip the front over something.

I am very happy with the purchase. I did swap to the Nates, which I know from experience sticklike glue, and they did not disappoint, but I had them on the Pugs as well.
    Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestmiller View Post
    Received my 21" Ti night train 11-18-2015 ordered 11-15-2015; Awesome. Been riding a surly Pug 13k miles for three years. Put 125 miles on it new NT and Novatech rear hub pawls failed in free wheel. Contacted novatech direct and they shipped replacement pawls and spring next day by USPS. USPS failed delivery, but finally got them in 6 days later. Went to remove front snow shoe to put in light tube damage damn bead. OMG pissed! Tight fit I have ever seen. Put surely nate 120 tpi off old pug. works great. Went for first ride after pawl failure. Bike falls over while putting bar mitts back on and breaks off damn DR drop out. Thank god it ships with spare. Ensure you lock tight the hex screw on drop out, lost mine after first ride.

Should be spare screw with spare drop out. This is my fourth BD purchase, I have a Ti 29er and wife has original 15" BD fat bike that was released 2 years ago. I have nothing but great things to say about BD. My original Ti29 frame failed after 15k miles, and they warrantied it, but took 3 months to get, but they upgraded it to new design with tapered head set. Worth the wait!

I am extremely hard on bikes. Actually cracked the surly frame on drive side rear drop out at 10k miles. Welded back up and modified structural support.

BD does not have the replacement drops out listed on their web site yet; gone contact them direct to get a new spare.
    I'm not sure you losing a bolt means they should always include spares. Regardless, if doing trail side repair with small parts I usually grab a flat Rock to put them all on or hold them in my mouth. Something to think about.

Hooligan
    Beautiful shots, I love North Conway!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Never mtb in north Conway but did do a couple motorcycle trips through there. Love the town and the view of mount Washington. Great motorcycling....

Is there an established trail system there?

Last edited by tankhead10; 12-23-2015 at 06:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Yes, there are a number of established trail systems there, along with multiple skill levels.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yeah I checked the trails out on singletrack.com. Wow it sounds killer up there..... must work on planning a "family" vacation up there soon. Thanks Dill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Rode 6 miles with my Aussie. Fog on the water with this crazy warm weather in NY.
    2016 Motobecane Boris X5

mtbr member
    Took the NTB out yesterday since the illness is in remission and I can breathe better (helps having a wife who is a Doc) but the trails were very wet (but OK to be on wet, I checked). At the end of the day I decided I need some fenders. I have some Kydex I'll make some out of since it can be heat molded with a heat gun.

But what I'm posting about is how impressed I am with this bike. The trails I rode were muddy, rocky, slippery, and somewhat steep. I have ridden similar trails on my Pugsley and had it be a 'hang on, crank like a bastard, and expect to fall at some point' ride. With the NTB it was like a regular trail. It's not due to the tires because I took them off the Pug and put them on the NTB, so it must be the geometry and Bluto. The difference is astounding. It's only a few pounds lighter than the Pugs (33.5 vs 35 pounds) so I doubt that plays a factor.

I know that's not what the naysayers of BikesDirect want to hear but it's the truth. I am very happy with this purchase and do not regret buying it at all, or putting the Pugs up for sale. I'm still not sold on the SRAM shifter, but it's early yet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Been sick since Monday with flu/cold. Fever, sore throat, nasty head cold...going to doc tomorrow...feel better dill

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Santa brought some bling for the bike

BOOM

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I am starting to get an ever increasing sound/click from the rear hub/cassette area when coasting and then starting to pedal again. Mostly happening on twisty tight single track making turns. I hope this is not the dreaded hub claw problem. It is happening more frequent. For instance, I did a 19 mile loop that is very tight/switchback, non technical and I noticed that it happened at least 10 times today. 2 weeks ago when I road the same loop it did it maybe 5 times. One or two times while riding weeks before. I checked everything be hand and nothing is loose. Not sure what else it could be. Any suggestions besides pulling the hub apart? Happy New Year everyone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tankhead10 View Post
    I am starting to get an ever increasing sound/click from the rear hub/cassette area when coasting and then starting to pedal again. Mostly happening on twisty tight single track making turns. I hope this is not the dreaded hub claw problem. It is happening more frequent. For instance, I did a 19 mile loop that is very tight/switchback, non technical and I noticed that it happened at least 10 times today. 2 weeks ago when I road the same loop it did it maybe 5 times. One or two times while riding weeks before. I checked everything be hand and nothing is loose. Not sure what else it could be. Any suggestions besides pulling the hub apart? Happy New Year everyone.
    Make sure it's not your pedals.

The most notorious clicks or creaks are rear hubs/ bbs, but I find the most common creak or click is my pedal.

So make sure there's no play in the pedal and really hit any moving parts with some wd-40 or whatever.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'll check but don't think it's that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Santa brought some bling for the bike

BOOM
    Link to that item?

Super cool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Amazon: kustomcaps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Amazon: kustomcaps.

Thanks. Would love to get my mom on a decent bike... Maybe day of the dead caps are the secret!

mtbr member
    Also check out the Stem Captain.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Can Shelterock or any one else list real quick the exact parts for the sun ringle mule fut rim tubeless kit?

Is the rim strip 60mm?
    How much tape is needed? I am seeing a roll on the website for $100.00. Can't find the smaller roll for $25.00 any longer. How much is needed for two wheels?

I know I need two valve stems and I have the Stan's already.

I have read the other thread but just want to make sure.

BTW, still loving the bike. Riding every weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Can Shelterock or any one else list real quick the exact parts for the sun ringle mule fut rim tubeless kit?

Is the rim strip 60mm?
    How much tape is needed? I am seeing a roll on the website for $100.00. Can't find the smaller roll for $25.00 any longer. How much is needed for two wheels?

I have read the other thread but just want to make sure.

BTW, still loving the bike. Riding every weekend.
    Sorry, returned the kit since I switched to different rims. But, AFAIR, the rim strip was designed to completely cover the rim from left beadseat -> center -> right in one continuous section. I think the tape was so wide that it would have even gone a little (~2 mm) up vertically on both sides. Meaning, that the tire bead would be sitting/in-contact with tape, -> resulting in no leaks. The material was thin and beige, similar in color to masking tape.

There was also a lightweight rimstrip to cover the holes. That piece was nice, very strong and much lighter than what comes on the Mulefuts.

I am quite happy with the geometry of the Ti Bullet; the slack front angle has allowed me to ride quite a few super steep snow-covered chutes! Great fun. Just wish that the tubing near the bottom-bracket area would have been designed more cleverly to allow more room for really big tires/rims. Enjoy your ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Mulefut tape is the 78mm. The tape needed is not much and the 25' should do it with plenty to spare. Check Amazon for http://www.amazon.com/RIM-TAPE-SUN-7.../dp/B00SM1OA96 . 60mm wide for rim strip is what you need for the 80mm rim.
    H

mtbr member

Is the rim strip 60mm?

I like the SunRingle rim strip because it's only 30g compared to the stock rim strip that is almost 90g. The correct one for the Mulefut is 60mm wide.

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-image-xl.jpg

I am now using the FattyStripper Bling Strip because I like how it looks black normally but reflects white at night when light hits it. It is heavier, but it's the price to pay for some bling and safety riding at night.

Then you use whatever tape you want over it, I have used Gorilla Tape but prefer the Zip Tape since it's tougher, lighter, stretches better, and you get 90' (3x as much) for the same price as the Mulefut rim tape. It also doesn't seem to be affected by the Stans but does leave the glue residue when you remove it. I use one wrap of the Zip Tape and overlap it 4"-6". I find I use the Zip tape for all sorts of things now since it's so handy, but you can't tear it by hand, it must be cut.

One thing I do is to not go all the way to the edge. I have found going all the way to the edge makes for a less secure bead seal. Instead, I go to the edge of the bead lip, on the Mulefut's there is a distinct ridge where the tire will sit, which is why they are so secure. Adding material on top of this just makes it slipperier, so the tire is more prone to dis-beading. I simply trim it to the width I want with a razor knife. Don't worry about the manufacturing holes at the edge of the rim, they'll be sealed with the bead of the tire.

So this is the resultant product.

Then I melt a hole in the tape and insert the stem.

Add air to seat it, then the Stans. A few times I have not needed Stans and it's held well but once I did need to add it since it bled down on the bead. I only aired it to 30 psi to seat the bead and probably should have gone a little higher. I add 3 ounces for summer and 5 for winter.

That's it, easy as pie. It's honestly that simple and I have run them at 3 psi over some gnarly terrain without an issue or even a hint of a problem or leaking Stans.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Wow. Thanks everyone. I think this will be a great resource for others. Happy New Year.

Hooligan

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.

Quote Originally Posted by carbonguy View Post
    ...Just wish that the tubing near the bottom-bracket area would have been designed more cleverly to allow more room for really big tires/rims. Enjoy your ride!
    What do you think is the largest tire it will clear?
    Bud and Lou on 100's?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelterock View Post
    Mulefut tape is the 78mm. The tape needed is not much and the 25' should do it with plenty to spare. Check Amazon for http://www.amazon.com/RIM-TAPE-SUN-7.../dp/B00SM1OA96 . 60mm wide for rim strip is what you need for the 80mm rim.
    H
    I used the same thing, $25 on Universal Cycles website:

SunRingle Mulefut Tubeless Rim Strip/Tape
    78mm Wide Rim Tape (10m Roll)
    69721-165688
    Motobecane Sturgis Ti
    Salsa Deadwood
    Trek Emonda ALR 5
    Soma Rush
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    What do you think is the largest tire it will clear?
    Bud and Lou on 100's?
    Maybe.

Clearance pics of Bud and Lou on stock rims here
    Motobecane Sturgis Ti
    Salsa Deadwood
    Trek Emonda ALR 5
    Soma Rush
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Cool bikes and all, but did I read this thread correctly and this thing is coming in at about 34-35lbs?

My wife's allow Scott Big Ed is 31-32lbs stock with Jumbo Jims on it......

I was thinking/hoping the Moto Ti would be lighter.....like 29-30lbs
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think frame weights go lighter from steel to Ti to alloy to carbon.
    Meaning most high end alloy frames are lighter than titanium designs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupathingee View Post
    The Bud&Lou on 80's look similar to my Dillinger 5 on my Sarma 100's, with a true interior rim width of ~93 mm if I remember correctly. There is easily 1/4" of wasted clearance near the bottom bracket / stays. Meaning, in total there's 1/2" wasted which could be used to either reduce chain-stay length or allow for bigger tires. Overall though, it's not any worse than the clearance around the Bluto, also only 1/4" on either side. So, if someone can confirm wether a Bud on a Clownshoe fits through a Bluto, then it's very likely to work in the rear triangle also.

In these pictures, the chain is shifted to closest tire approach. Tire are tubeless at ~4 psi (guess), resulting in a width of 4.45".
    Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-20160112_202417.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-20160112_202431.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-20160112_202637.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-20160112_202725.jpgMotobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-20160112_203045.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    Cool bikes and all, but did I read this thread correctly and this thing is coming in at about 34-35lbs?

The Jumbo Jim tires save 600g/21oz by themselves and mine was just over 33 pounds when I set it up tubeless. What size is your wife's bike, mine is a large.

So if I swapped to the JJ tires, tubeless, I'd be in the 21/32 pound range as well. Swapping out heavier parts would of course make more of a difference. But ttakata73 is correct in that aluminum is lighter than titanium. Frames don't make a huge difference in weights by themselves, however.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    The Jumbo Jim tires save 600g/21oz by themselves and mine was just over 33 pounds when I set it up tubeless. What size is your wife's bike, mine is a large.

So if I swapped to the JJ tires, tubeless, I'd be in the 21/32 pound range as well. Swapping out heavier parts would of course make more of a difference. But ttakata73 is correct in that aluminum is lighter than titanium. Frames don't make a huge difference in weights by themselves, however.
    Fair points . My one ti frame back in the day was lighter than my alloy frames so in my mind ti was always lighter. You are right though on the Fatties the frame is not the first place to look for weight savings....it is all in the wheels tires usually.

Wife's Ed is a small......the claimed weight (probably based on a medium) is 31.97lbs.....I'm guessing hers with pedals will be in the 32-32.5lbs range......plus we swap to Ergons on everything we ride and they aren't the lightest. We pick her Scott up on Saturday.

I also don't know what tubes are on the Scott under the Jims.......I have Qs in my Lurch and they made a large felt difference.
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Pjm1969, can you confirm the Ti sturgis and night train frames and Bluto fork will fit a 29+ wheel set and tires? If so I will be pulling the trigger. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Mine was 35 with bluto. That's a gen 1.
    I've changed a lot about it, and it sits at ~27.5#

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Mine was 35 with bluto. That's a gen 1.
    I've changed a lot about it, and it sits at ~27.5#
    That is a fantastic weight for a FB.....what tires and drive-train?
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That is a fantastic weight for a FB.....what tires and drive-train?
    FBN on nextie 65 rims. Carbon bars, post. 1x10 with one up chain ring and 42t GC. Derailleur, brakes, frame/ fork are stock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    FBN on nextie 65 rims. Carbon bars, post. 1x10 with one up chain ring and 42t GC. Derailleur, brakes, frame/ fork are stock
    That is what I figured as I didn't think anyone would get there without rims/tires being first on the list and then replacing alloy with carbon bits and I assumed 1x as well. I need the granny for where we are riding in the winter so 1x is out on my Lurch....every other bike I own is 1x9 at this point.
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I would call BD and ask as I haven't personally tried a set but after reading the specs on BD's web page I can't see why they wouldn't fit.

They do have a set of 29 wheels that will work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That is what I figured as I didn't think anyone would get there without rims/tires being first on the list and then replacing alloy with carbon bits and I assumed 1x as well. I need the granny for where we are riding in the winter so 1x is out on my Lurch....every other bike I own is 1x9 at this point.
    Depends on how low you need. I have done up to 23% climb on it. I don't have snow or anything like that though.
    30x42 got me there, and I think I could put a 28t on there... But it's an xc machine for me, so I still like having some top end

Hooligan
    I finally bit the bullet and impulse bought one at like 1am last night.
    It took me a long time because i couldnt decide what size i wanted. I'm 5"7 with short legs, and 16.5" to 17" generally fits me really well. obviously the way this bike is sized, im stuck in between the sizes. I spent a long time comparing the geo charts, the TI is a longer TT than the AL, so I went with a small. on paper the medium seems really stretched out.
    Anyway, I'm super excited about my new bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    It took me a long time because i couldnt decide what size i wanted. I'm 5"7 with short legs, and 16.5" to 17" generally fits me really well. obviously the way this bike is sized, im stuck in between the sizes. I spent a long time comparing the geo charts, the TI is a longer TT than the AL, so I went with a small. on paper the medium seems really stretched out.
    Welcome to the club and rember, no superman rim strips.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi DD - you are going to love that bike!
    We are about the same height. I pick all my bikes based upon Effective TT length when choosing between comparable styles / usage bikes. This sizing method has worked for me very well. Whenever I am between sizes, especially on mtb; I go with the smaller size as I can always use a slightly longer stem and or push the saddle back/layback seatpost.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by joebikesdirect View Post
    Hi DD - you are going to love that bike!
    We are about the same height. I pick all my bikes based upon Effective TT length when choosing between comparable styles / usage bikes. This sizing method has worked for me very well. Whenever I am between sizes, especially on mtb; I go with the smaller size as I can always use a slightly longer stem and or push the saddle back/layback seatpost.
    Thanks joe!
    That's exactly what I did, And I'm super excited to get the thing together and go for a ride. I've wanted this bike since you guys first announced it, and I can't believe I actually have one now.
    I have been super busy with school, but should have a chance to assemble it tomorrow night.

mtbr member
    Welcome. Mine continues to impress me every time I ride it. It is so much different from the Pugsley I used to ride.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Well o well. I did the tube less method. All went quite easy. Surprisingly. Holding air. Heard a couple pops when inflating.
    Question::: how are you sure that the bead has entirely set? Didn't pump up more than 12 psi with all the pops I thought I was good.

mtbr member
    I always go to max pressure to seat the bead. Never had an issue and run around 3 psi on deep snow without a problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks dill.. I have had a stans set up on my old 26 er blow up on me. Nearly blew my eardrum out. Thought somebody shot me. I'll check in the morning and reassess..Thanks brother.

mtbr member
    Depends on the rim, but not on a Mulefüt. I've run tires at 10 psi over max without an issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just don't exceed the max tire pressure listed on the tire. I know the Specialized Ground Controls were notorious for exploding at over 25 PSI when they first came out. I typically pump up to 20 PSI to seat, and then visually inspect the bead. These Mulefuts are by far the best fat rims I have set up tubeless (I've done about 4 different Surly non-tubeless rims as well as the Specialized Fat Boy rims).
    Motobecane Sturgis Ti
    Salsa Deadwood
    Trek Emonda ALR 5
    Soma Rush
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Some pictures of my stomp a few weeks back. There's an abandoned car on one of our local routes. Also, this is prior to some turd stealing my bike bags off my bike while I was at work...

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-y4vzmfah.jpg

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-hzt0wvsh.jpg

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-3es8uhkh.jpg
    Motobecane Sturgis Ti
    Salsa Deadwood
    Trek Emonda ALR 5
    Soma Rush
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    aaaaand here are some pictures from a week ago when we had a fat bike enduro race. It got a bit muddy

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-kgqneajh.jpg

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-zwjy5dih.jpg

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-y7tfpcwh.jpg
    Motobecane Sturgis Ti
    Salsa Deadwood
    Trek Emonda ALR 5
    Soma Rush
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Chupa how much quicker is the steering with o out the shock. Was thinking if making my shock an 80 mm instead of 100mm? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Chupa how much quicker is the steering with o out the shock. Was thinking if making my shock an 80 mm instead of 100mm? Thoughts?

Not sure I noticed any quicker steering. I swapped because I don't need the shock in the winter based on how I ride, and the carbon fork is less maintenance, lighter, and easier to clean. Once the snow melts I'll throw the Bluto back on for singletrack since this is essentially my geared mountain bike.
    Motobecane Sturgis Ti
    Salsa Deadwood
    Trek Emonda ALR 5
    Soma Rush
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyll2003 View Post
    Pjm1969, can you confirm the Ti sturgis and night train frames and Bluto fork will fit a 29+ wheel set and tires? If so I will be pulling the trigger. Thanks
    Has anyone done this yet? Thinking of jumping in one of these as I like ti and this deal is pretty amazing. Can these be run as 29er +
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Has anyone done this yet? Thinking of jumping in one of these as I like ti and this deal is pretty amazing. Can these be run as 29er +
    Yes- the Motobecane Titanium Fatbikes Sturgis and NightTrain will fit most 29x3 tires BUT not all sizes on all rim widths may fit. Check frame widths and front der clearance against widths of tire/rim combos. Going wider might mean one has to use a 1x drivtrain for clearance. As always, YMMV

Cyclist
    Hi, I got a Night Train Ti Fat bike recently. I'm wondering if I ever want to upgrade the FD, what type of FD do I get? I see there's a spacer so something to cover the wide Q factor. Can I use something like SRAM X0 2x10sp High Clamp Front Mech | Chain Reaction Cycles and it will attach to the spacer (then I don't need the clamp)? Do I need to buy a Fat Bike specific FD?
    My Rides:
    MTB NightTrain Bullet Ti Fat Bike
    MTB Fly Team29 Ti
    MTB Giant XTC 26" HT
    Cross Cannondale SuperX
    Road Cervelo R5

Hooligan
    So I went for a ride this morning and tried to take a bike lean picture at the top of a big climb. Right before I could snap the picture a slight gust of wind came through and the bike fell over in slow motion and landed drive side down in the grass, cleaving off the derailleur like the hanger was made of cheese.

Anyway, does anybody have a link to a new one? I know the motobecane hangers are know to be fragile but this is ridiculous.

Hooligan
    I should add that apart from the hanger issue, I absolutely love the bike.

Perpetual n00b
    So I went for a ride this morning and tried to take a bike lean picture at the top of a big climb. Right before I could snap the picture a slight gust of wind came through and the bike fell over in slow motion and landed drive side down in the grass, cleaving off the derailleur like the hanger was made of cheese.

Anyway, does anybody have a link to a new one? I know the motobecane hangers are know to be fragile but this is ridiculous.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...er_hangers.htm
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

Hooligan
    Thanks! Are we #32? Nothing else really looks like it, but I would hate to order the wrong one.

Perpetual n00b
    Thanks! Are we #32? Nothing else really looks like it, but I would hate to order the wrong one.
    Couldn't tell ya. I would email BD. They are really quick to respond.

It does look like #32 though.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I received my Ti Sturgis a few weeks ago. Really enjoying the bike. More to come.

Hooligan

Still loving it.

Hooligan
    Well, my hub let go this weekend, resulting in a 5 mile hike a bike home. I understand that this is a known problem with this hub, but I wish it gave some more warning. I was climbing a hill and it just gave a really loud 'pop' and lost all engagement.

When I got home I cracked it open and found this:

Looks like The pawls shattered and took the drive ring with them.
    I was surprised, because the bike really only has 150 miles on it (school has prevented me from riding it as much as I would like).
    I emailed bikes direct, they have always been very responsive and willing to work with me and make things right. Will report back when I hear from them.

Conveniently enough, bike hub store's fat hub is out of stock. Otherwise I may have tried to negotiate a refund for the value of the hub and put it towards an upgrade.
    I have the 170mm version and can't say enough good things about it, and I would use this opportunity to upgrade this bike to the 197 version in a heartbeat if it were available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Still loving it?
    Latitude 61

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Couldn't tell ya. I would email BD. They are really quick to respond.

It does look like #32 though.
    I ordered some spares, forgot to confirm that we are in fact hanger #32.

I may try to machine something myself though. The hanger price to derailleur price ratio is way off for me. I understand that the hanger is supposed to break before the derailleur is damaged, but when the derailleur is a $50 x7 and the hangers are $23 a pop and break if you look at them funny, it stops making sense.
    I have already spent more on hangers than I would have on a new derailleur, and I'm yet to do anything to the bike that would actually break the derailleur / frame if the hanger were not an intentional weak point.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Still loving it?
    OH!

ba-dum tssssshh

Hooligan

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.

Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Still loving it?
    Haha! Ok I guess I deserve that.

But yeah, I am.
    I have blown up i9's too, it doesn't make me love the bike they were on any less.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Haha! Ok I guess I deserve that.

But yeah, I am.
    I have blown up i9's too, it doesn't make me love the bike they were on any less.
    Sorry about that, but I just couldn't resist. Keep riding!
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Yep, in this thread.
    Howdy fellers:

I wanted a fatbike because of the Cogburn CB4 to get into backcountry locations with a bow, rifle, fishing rod, etc but for about the same money ordered a Night Train Bullet Ti last September and got WAY more bike for the money in my opinion. I'm trying to put the same rack that is on the Cogburn onto my Night Train Bullet Ti. I like the looks of the rack that @Dilligaff put on his bike but am unsure that the Cogburn gear carrier is compatible with it. According to the LBS the gear carrier is compatible with the Salsa Alternator and Salsa Wanderlust (my understanding is Cogburn is owned by QBP as well). I think I'm fine with either one of those racks, my question is how do I measure or make sure that the rack I order will fit my bike?

mtbr member
    Based on how it attaches, it looks like it would mount to pretty much any rack out there that uses the standard mounting points.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Checking in... Love my bike. Lots of salty spray from beach riding and other than a few spots on rotors and chains, bike is rockin' it good! Holding up fine to my 255lbs 6'7" frame and the Dog and I are happy.
    2016 Motobecane Boris X5

Merendon Junkie
    I have been wanting to pull the trigger on this bike for quite some time. I think this thread did the final push towards buying it. You all seem very happy with it!

Just a couple of questions. I am 5 11.5 and my inseam is 33.5 inches, would you guys recommend a large frame. I use large on all my bikes but I think I heard this frame ran a little bit larger than usual.

How feasible is it to get this bike to be sub 30 lbs, keeping it 2x and with the bluto?

Cheers!
    Abel

Merendon Junkie
    Well, I pulled the trigger shortly after that last post. I have been riding my night train ti for about 3 weeks now and all I can say is that I am HOOKED!!! I am very happy with the bike, it has exceeded my expectations on many aspects.

+The frame seems very nicely made. The welds look clean and nice (i am no welding expert) and the tube bends are quite pretty.
    + Bike comes very well spec’d for the most part. You get a lot for what you pay. The crankset, brakes (guides rs), rims, bluto, shifters, derailleurs, chain, wtb seat (my butt happens to like wtb very much) are mid high and high tier components.
    + Tires have an insane amount of grip and were easily converted to tubeless
    + Was nicely packed and the gears perfectly adjusted right out of the box. This speaks well for BD.
    + "Free" goodies! Extra derailleur hanger and rim strip, I wasnt expecting that.

Cons
    - The Bike is a bit heavier than I expected. It sits at 35.6 pounds after converting to tubeless. (I used clear gorilla tape and 4 oz of stans for this). Getting it sub 30 will be harder than I thought.
    - Cassette is an anchor at 530 grams. I will change to an xt 11-40 cassette when it wears out. I am even considering a regular 10 speed 11-36 xt cassette.
    - Tires are on the heavy end of the spectrum at 1750 grams. I will probably change the rear to something lighter and faster rolling in the future but will keep these for the front. I really like their grip.
    -Seat post, stem and handle bar seem a bit heavy but I havent weighed them.
    -Spokes are the cheapest plain type. I will change them to sapim lasers and alu nipples when I change the rims to dt br710.

I can drop about 2100 grams on wheels and tires alone (and cassette) for about $600. I plan to do that going forward, one step at the time. So far, the only upgrade I have done has been going tubeless. Thats 400 grams down with less than $20 (many to go).

Now regarding the ride, WOW! These past weeks have been a blast. I have not touched the other bikes. It does take more effort climbing but not much more than it would seem and it more than pays off in fun and climbing traction on the sketchy stuff. Traction is insane. I can rail corners with so much speed that I sometimes think the tires are going to roll of the rim! I plan on building some B+ wheels when the fat honeymoon is over so I can use on those rides with too many fire road climbs.

I will post some pictures as soon as I take some good ones.

Cheers
    Abel

Merendon Junkie
    A few pics

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-dsc_7249.jpg

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-dsc_7238.jpg

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.-dsc_7206.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Interesting

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast