Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Motobecanes Titanium FatBike final specs and release date.

85K views 504 replies 82 participants last post by  tankhead10 
#1 ·
#112 ·
Question, New to Fat Bikes, but riding my Sturgis Ti on the beach and playing with air pressures, The rear wheel is sending a vibration through the bike in a rythem of small pulses, fading in and out while riding. I have not felt it on the road with higher pressures. Was just curious if anyone else get a sense of that?

The Snowshoe 26x4.5 has a good amount of self steer at low pressure. Feels like the bike wants to turn more than you want and wants to tuck the front wheel under in a sharp turn. I'm still adjusting my sensory feel on the fattie.

Also at 260 lbs and 6'7", the 21" XL is good. The bars could be higher and the seat could be wider. Plenty of room in the cockpit, so I'm glad I won't have to spring for the 23" El Gordo Ventanna frame. I pumped up the Bluto to 150psi. It came at about 90psi stock and could easily crush it down under breaking. at 150 psi I get good compliance and less dive under breaking. May still go up in pressure.
H

#115 ·
Hi Joe,

Yes, I'm at 150psi now up from the shipping pressure of 90psi. I'm aware of the max too. Thank you for confirming the tables. Don't want the thing blowing up!!. I'm loving the bike. Tire pressure is a learning curve. Did 3.5 miles on the beach for the morning dog walk. great product, well built. Let's hope it lasts too.

off topic, I received my Boris X5 today. Bent derailleur hanger. You guys doing anthing about those? I put the spare on but still would like to have a spare....

Best,
H

#116 ·
Unless it's the crappy kind you can just straighten them.
It's pretty straightforward, but the tool of like $50. I went ahead and bought one, but I ride a lot so I knew I'd get my use out of it.

Other option is pay $20 for your lbs to do it. FYI, they have to be installed on the bike with the rear wheel on to straighten... So don't show up with just the hanger!

#117 ·
It is super easy to straighten a hanger as long as it is only slightly bent. But it could break much easier later.

If the aluminum shows creases, it's too bent to straighten.

We always suggest using a new hanger but YMMV and you assume all risks if you decide to straighten your own hanger. That being said, I've straightened my own hangers for years without having one break JRA (just riding along)

Email bd4servicecenter@aol.com and send them pics of your bent hanger out of the box they'll take care of you :)

Check out this video for straightening hangers DIY

#119 ·
<long post apology goes here>

Hi Guys,

It's been great reading about everyone's experiences anticipating and/or getting their Ti Moto fatbikes, so I thought I'd chime in with mine.

My 19" Night Train arrived on Tuesday, and Garmin tells me I've spent 36 miles and about 5,300' with it since then.

This bike is *smooth*.

Aside from adjusting to the monster Q-factor, have had no problem getting comfortable on the bike and it rides/pedals very well. Handling isn't quick, but is very stable in turns and switchbacks, and it keeps its line well on climbs. I'm a Jr. Clyde with a fairly high cadence, and haven't noticed any frame flex yet (even on steeper pitches/higher efforts).

I'm mainly a XC rider so I set the bike up to mimic my XC bike. Then I just started riding the steep kitty litter and moon dust covered trails and fire roads in the SF Bay Area, and this bike has performed flawlessly. Need to play more with the Bluto, but it is taking the edge off of the concrete-like ruts I need to deal with out here.

Still in my New Bike daze, but I'm very pleased with this bike after spending a few hours with it. Looking forward to many more.

Cheers,
Paul

A few notes:
- The frame is beautiful. Welds and finish look very nice.
- Bike arrived with blemish on the same "O" as shelterock pictures in post #97. Will be giving BikesDirect that feedback as this must be happening prior to shipment to be so consistent.
- My bike came with X-9 shifters. Spec sheet was (and still is) X-7 when I bought it. I'm very happy to get this upgrade. Everything else is per the specs.
- Bike arrived with a spare derailleur hanger. Little things...
- No surprises during assembly (just the joy of carefully extracting this behemoth from its box!).
- Did need to put on some zip ties for hoses/cables where a couple clips were missing and a couple more looked ready to pop off. Recommend having some on hand when assembling just in case.
- Shifting and Braking did not need any adjustment out of the box. I *didn't* expect this, and was prepared to align/adjust derailleurs and brakes as part of setting up the new bike. This is actually my 3rd Motobecane and they have been 3 for 3 in terms of shifting and braking just working right out of the box for me. This includes no need for bleeding 2x Avid hydro brakesets and 1 Shimano.
- Snowshoes with tubes had some self-steer for me at 8psi and below. 10 psi it is for now. Probably sitting around 210 lbs all geared/watered up.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

#180 ·
<long post apology goes here>

Hi Guys,

It's been great reading about everyone's experiences anticipating and/or getting their Ti Moto fatbikes, so I thought I'd chime in with mine.

My 19" Night Train arrived on Tuesday, and Garmin tells me I've spent 36 miles and about 5,300' with it since then.

This bike is *smooth*.

Aside from adjusting to the monster Q-factor, have had no problem getting comfortable on the bike and it rides/pedals very well. Handling isn't quick, but is very stable in turns and switchbacks, and it keeps its line well on climbs. I'm a Jr. Clyde with a fairly high cadence, and haven't noticed any frame flex yet (even on steeper pitches/higher efforts).

I'm mainly a XC rider so I set the bike up to mimic my XC bike. Then I just started riding the steep kitty litter and moon dust covered trails and fire roads in the SF Bay Area, and this bike has performed flawlessly. Need to play more with the Bluto, but it is taking the edge off of the concrete-like ruts I need to deal with out here.

Still in my New Bike daze, but I'm very pleased with this bike after spending a few hours with it. Looking forward to many more.

Cheers,
Paul

A few notes:
- The frame is beautiful. Welds and finish look very nice.
- Bike arrived with blemish on the same "O" as shelterock pictures in post #97. Will be giving BikesDirect that feedback as this must be happening prior to shipment to be so consistent.
- My bike came with X-9 shifters. Spec sheet was (and still is) X-7 when I bought it. I'm very happy to get this upgrade. Everything else is per the specs.
- Bike arrived with a spare derailleur hanger. Little things...
- No surprises during assembly (just the joy of carefully extracting this behemoth from its box!).
- Did need to put on some zip ties for hoses/cables where a couple clips were missing and a couple more looked ready to pop off. Recommend having some on hand when assembling just in case.
- Shifting and Braking did not need any adjustment out of the box. I *didn't* expect this, and was prepared to align/adjust derailleurs and brakes as part of setting up the new bike. This is actually my 3rd Motobecane and they have been 3 for 3 in terms of shifting and braking just working right out of the box for me. This includes no need for bleeding 2x Avid hydro brakesets and 1 Shimano.
- Snowshoes with tubes had some self-steer for me at 8psi and below. 10 psi it is for now. Probably sitting around 210 lbs all geared/watered up.

View attachment 1021508 View attachment 1021509
How tall are you please? Congrats and hope the bike still makes you[emoji7]

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

#120 ·
Bike is done! At this point the only stock components are the frame, fork, and wheelset. I have it down to 31.5 lb. The drivetrain is 1x10 Shimano XT with 42t cog and a 30t chainring. I might order a smaller chainring, and I'll definitely be throwing a carbon fork on for the winter. XT brakes, carbon seatpost and bar.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Attachments

#121 ·
Chupa,
You can't post that you updated everything about except the frame and fork. Tell us about the tires BFL on front. Can't make out the rear. Don't leave us hanging. This is a different frame than the alu night train/ Sturgis. How and what did you fit? What tube/tubeless, rims trips and other skeletons did you find tearing the bike down?
H

#124 · (Edited)
BFL front, Knard rear, both 120 TPI. This is the Ti Sturgis frame. There is more clearance on the frame for the Knard than there was on my Fatboy. I used duct tape backed by strapping tape as a rim strip and Sun Ringle tubeless tape. It was really easy to set up tubeless. No surprises during my build.

#122 ·
Sweet! Paul, looks good. My 72tpi snowshoe also show self steer in low pressure. I'm probably around 12 psi given I'm 270lbs ready to roll.
We did 8 miles on the beach this afternoon with my 7 yr old. Bike was great.
I found a few of those clips In the bottom of the box. Too funny on the damaged O. They seem like watershed decals so I don't know why they are like that. I can't imagine they are hand painted and then damaged during drying.
H

#126 · (Edited)
Looks like I will be going tubeless sooner rather than later. My short ride weekend before last has left me with multiple tube punctures. Time to start researching and mixing goo (all the other parts are being provided by the nice man in the brown truck).
---
brown truck is taking too long. During the goo research, saw a few people switching from presta back to schrader with a 949 valve stem. Goverment men (usps rather than ups) should be delivering those by this weekend (I hope). My coupon for Hobby Lobby is in my passenger seat (to get the latex mold builder), so all that is left is stopping at the grocery store (cornmeal) and tractor supply (PG or RV Antifreeze, and non-detergent ammonia).

#130 ·
I was out over Lunch on 4.36 miles of single track and beach front riding with my dog. Great ride, other that getting attacked by a german shepherd. My Aussie did great. He was fierce!.

I bought the Sturgis with final intentions to keep it if I fit. At 6'7" it was close. All parts would transfer to the 23" El Gordo. I never expected Ti frames to be lighter per say or stronger, just another material with a different feel. I came off CroMo and the Ti feels very similar. I'm enjoying the feel. The Ritchey Seatpost seems to bear the brunt of my weight. I believe the tires Snowshoe 72tpi have a great impact on handling that overshadow any feel you get from the frame. I've hear others talk happily of a Knard 4.8 in rear and bud up front.

I hear you on the Fatboy conversion. I did the math there too but I was looking at the Trail for $2450 and this bike seems a better bet with 150-197 Thru-axles etc going forward. Love the White Bluto!

Joe, I watched that video before.

I bought Titanium because I'm on the ocean and bay for almost all my rides. Alu oxidizes and Steel rusts. Ti I hope holds up. I know bearings and BB are all going to get shredded with sand and salt water, which I try to avoid, but I'm ok with that because that means I'm getting out and riding.
So far I've been out every single day since I got the bike 2 fridays ago, 11 days straight. 70F here today and sunny! I'm loving it.

#133 ·
I was out over Lunch on 4.36 miles of single track and beach front riding with my dog. Great ride, other that getting attacked by a german shepherd. My Aussie did great. He was fierce!.

I bought the Sturgis with final intentions to keep it if I fit. At 6'7" it was close. All parts would transfer to the 23" El Gordo. I never expected Ti frames to be lighter per say or stronger, just another material with a different feel. I came off CroMo and the Ti feels very similar. I'm enjoying the feel. The Ritchey Seatpost seems to bear the brunt of my weight. I believe the tires Snowshoe 72tpi have a great impact on handling that overshadow any feel you get from the frame. I've hear others talk happily of a Knard 4.8 in rear and bud up front.

I hear you on the Fatboy conversion. I did the math there too but I was looking at the Trail for $2450 and this bike seems a better bet with 150-197 Thru-axles etc going forward. Love the White Bluto!

Joe, I watched that video before.

I bought Titanium because I'm on the ocean and bay for almost all my rides. Alu oxidizes and Steel rusts. Ti I hope holds up. I know bearings and BB are all going to get shredded with sand and salt water, which I try to avoid, but I'm ok with that because that means I'm getting out and riding.
So far I've been out every single day since I got the bike 2 fridays ago, 11 days straight. 70F here today and sunny! I'm loving it.
Sounds beautiful, we're in that time of year when it fluctuates from 40s to 80s... Yeah the ability of Ti to withstand the elements was a plus for me, I ride my bike year round in Iowa which means it sees a lot of moisture from snow in the winter. I do like the ride quality of steel so should like the Ti. In the years I've been fatbiking I've come to accept that I am just going to replace the BB after every winter riding season...

#131 ·
My 19 ti nightrain weights 35.2 lbs. So U would think that the sturgis with the heavier tires and conponets would weight slightly more. I wish I would have know how heavy this bike was going to be before I had ordered, but I will live with it. Going to change the tires out to some lightweight 3.8s and maybe go with a carbon handlebar and steam. Can't put to much into it, otherwise I should have bought a carbon alaskan or $$$beargrease. I love the way the bike looks and the 100mm bluto. I am 6' and the 19 fits well, if I was touring I would want a slightly larger frame. Overall a good value, if it was 3-5lbs lighter it would be a killer deal. Consider either a cheaper groupset or a higher end carbon bike. By this if budget and component group is the primary reason. Save $500 and go with the AL version.

#132 ·
I don't think the framed carbon is much lighter out of the box.
I read a review that said it was ~27.25 pounds. That was the $3k version after adding aftermarket carbon handlebars and rims.
I've got my NTB sitting at about 27.5 lbs right now with under $3k in its entirety.

#136 ·
Not Tooting the bike, I see the new Seven Cycle Treeline Ti for considerably more money and I fell very good about what we got in this bike. I've ridden every day since getting the bike, usually the 3.5 mile dog walk I do daily with other outings on top of it. Tubeless might be next. I am pleased!

#138 ·
I ordered Monday, shipped Monday night, was in NY Friday by 5pm. They move product. The fastest that bike will ever travel! Go for it. It's good. The Ti frame was an extra because I live on the beach. If I was in the woods I would have gone night train. No part of the Sturgis trim level has been an issue for me. I'm glad I got the White Bluto!
H

#143 ·
I have had several Ti bikes in the past, the appeal to me has always been the ride of Titanium. They look really nice when built right with nice tidy welds and again that ride is what it is all about: lively as with a nice steel frame but with the corrosion properties of titanium. The perfect material for a hardtail, especially one that will see its share of winter elements as well as summer.

#144 ·
I think the tires tubes and rim strips are all lower level. The red strips that were extra are heavy and 72tpi snowshoe is probably way heavy. The Ritchey cockpit is average and the crank is close to a kilo. The gains can be made in tubeless and 1x setup, light weight saddle, seat post, stem and bars.
For me the Ti choice was corrosion resistance due to the salt environment I ride in. I know the BB and drive train will get shredded but hey, that will give me an excuse in a couple years time to swap out some parts.
The decals will surely come off with some work.
I really like the bike.
H

#145 ·
I need some guidance with frame sizing of the Ti Sturgis Bullet as I'm right between a small and medium according to the sizing chart. I'd like to hear from others who are on the edge of sizing what they picked, the smaller size or larger size, and are they happy with their selection?

I'm 5'8 1/2" tall with an inseam of 31.75" (measured bare footed with a book in the crotch against a wall).
I'm just getting back into mountain biking after 20 years. I recently on went on a group ride using my 20 year old 26" bike and I just couldn't keep up, everyone else was on 29er or fat bikes and I was getting slowed down in rock gardens which they all were riding through fast.
I also want to get a fat bike to extend my riding season, I live in New England so I'd sometimes be riding in snow and sloppy conditions. This would be my only mountain bike besides the crappy 20 year old 26".
I currently ride about 4500 road miles per year,for reference all of my road and cross bikes are 54cm.

#147 ·
I need some guidance with frame sizing of the Ti Sturgis Bullet as I'm right between a small and medium according to the sizing chart. I'd like to hear from others who are on the edge of sizing what they picked, the smaller size or larger size, and are they happy with their selection?

I'm 5'8 1/2" tall with an inseam of 31.75" (measured bare footed with a book in the crotch against a wall).
I'm just getting back into mountain biking after 20 years. I recently on went on a group ride using my 20 year old 26" bike and I just couldn't keep up, everyone else was on 29er or fat bikes and I was getting slowed down in rock gardens which they all were riding through fast.
I also want to get a fat bike to extend my riding season, I live in New England so I'd sometimes be riding in snow and sloppy conditions. This would be my only mountain bike besides the crappy 20 year old 26".
I currently ride about 4500 road miles per year,for reference all of my road and cross bikes are 54cm.
I am 5'11" and 32.5" inseam, measured barefoot. I am right on the line between med and large. I was obsessing about having ordered the wrong size, but the medium turned out perfect for Ti-Bullet.

Note: For the Boris X9, their chart said to get the medium, but I should have gotten large. I had to up-size the stem and longer seatpost with more setback.

Riding technical stuff fast takes a lot of practice, and a good ergonomic bike setup that works for _you_. It took me 2, 3 years after getting on a 29er to feel confident in technical terrain, and I was feeling good on my 26er before that. Riding with flats occasionally gave me a boost in taking risks and increasing ability. Don't worry, you can learn this - but 26er, 29er, and fatbikes have underlying different geometries. And note that the Ti Motobecane fatbikes have a long-ish chain stay of 460mm with a low-ish seatpost angle of 72.5, and of course the huge Q-factor on the cranks. These are not the best for technical riding 0-).

My reason for buying this bike was quite different from yours: backcountry snowbiking, and I think it will work out well in that regard. I wouldn't want this to be my only bike, just due to the huge Q-factor alone.

Cheers!

#150 ·
Well, it's 9" +/- 0.1" on the Ti_bullet's RF Turbine crankset. RF just updated their chainline/Q-factor/crank chart, and it doesn't list a "RF Turbine" model anymore. Anyhow, the best you're going to be able to do with a 190/197 rear end, is to get the Turbine Next SL, flip the single ring and thereby drop 2 cm:
http://www.raceface.com/comp/inst/Crank_Q-factors_and_chainlines.pdf

If you're new to this, then I recommend this intro to chainlines, Q-factor and such:
Salsa Cycles

#153 ·
I think the fatboy also uses an RF crank, now. But, I don't know which one - probably depends on the model you're getting. Try'em out, and know that 1x and 2x will allow for different Q-factors, but it depends on the crank / chainring setup that is actually installed.

I didn't try out any fatbikes in stores, just read a lot and didn't see too many unhappy fatbikers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.