Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

Since the trend seems to be to break away from the massive and hard to read/hard to follow generic Moto fat bikes thread, I figured I would start one for the Sturgis & Night Train.

I have a Night Train Bullet on order. Looking forward to it showing up, unfortunately, the reciept I have shows a ship date of 11/05. Other folks had ones earlier in October.

Anyway - Three questions to get this ball rolling:

1 - Are you going to change anything right off the bat?
    2 - Did you buy for winter, sand, trail, or all?
    3 - What date did your ship notice show?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    edit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-motosilver.jpg  

Last edited by pearsth; 11-06-2014 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    - I've got a reverb that doesn't fit any of my existing bikes, so that will go on
    - Saddle/bars/grips. I know what works for me and I'm pretty sure what it comes with isn't it.
    - Tires are a maybe.

Snow. I'm sure I'll bring it out for some trail rides done at a social pace. I don't expect it to become my "go to" bike though.

Mine shows Oct 28th as a ship date. I don't think it means much though. They'll all go out within a matter of days once the pallets arrive at BD. I ordered mine at a time when they were adjusting the estimated ship date. I think the ordering system just hadn't been updated yet.

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    1 - Did you buy for winter, sand, trail, or all?
    Snow. I'm sure I'll bring it out for some trail rides done at a social pace. I don't expect it to become my "go to" bike though.
    All conditions riding! I already have Easton Haven stem and post, RXL 720mm carbon bars, ESI grips, Prologo seat ready to go on.

Spring time will call for lighter wheels and hopefully 27.5 tires to get it ready for the trails...can't wait!

Also can't wait for the snow to fly (never thought I would say that) but this will be the 1st winter on a snow bike for fat bike for that matter...Bring it!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pearsth View Post

Bars, saddle, stem, grips, etc...point of contact, cockpit fit type stuff.
    Actually considering purchasing a Framed Alaskan Carbon frame for a switch out.
    As this is my first FB, I'm waiting for a minute to test it out and be sure about sizing before going forward with this one...hard to be patient though

I live in NorCal so it will be a trail bike. Not much snow/sand riding where I am. Might get up to Tahoe once in a while for some snow but not regularly.

Oct 18...hoping the possible delay they emailed about doesn't happen but prepared if it doesn't come until late Oct.
    Last edited by OnThaCouch; 09-22-2014 at 09:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Long time reader... First Time Poster

On fence to pre-order still. This'll be my first new MTB since middle school (20 years ago) I'm still rocking my Trek 7000 hard tail.

That said.... new bike lust is high with this bike, have ridden a few fat boys and farleys. Really wanting a bluto equipped fat tire bike, and the specs on this bike make it worth it for the components alone.

If i do order, I'll likely change nothing right off the bat, to get a feel for the bike, and then in order go 1x10 w/ WolfsTooth/OneUP 42 tooth, Seat, Grips.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    WSUPolar...I warn you. I had a 97 Stumpjumper and finally bought a new bike - 2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert. Was an amazing upgrade, but broke the seal o years of holding back. Since then, bought am Airborne Wingman for dirt jump, and now the Night Train Bullet is on order. Too many bikes, too little time.
    2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman
    2014 Motobecane Night Train Bullet

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=pearsth;11467150]Anyway - Three questions to get this ball rolling:
    QUOTE]

Forgot to add that I have already upgraded my wheelset. Got a great set built up by mikesee. I9 hubs and Mulefut rims with Bud/Lou combo. Maybe overkill for NorCal dirt but whatever...it'll be fun

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just changed to Sturgis Bullet White 10/28. (Green non-bullet Sturgis cancelled) I'm just getting into cycling. I'm liking the skinny tire road bike and want to continue riding into the winter so Fat seems like a good way to go. From what I can tell, the bike is setup fine the way it is and I won't know what to add or change until I ride the thing.
    Last edited by ETChipotle; 09-24-2014 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Black Night Train ordered! Looking forward to riding the snowmobile and ski trails this winter here in Maine! ...and it just might become my year round trail bike, too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have a Sturgis Bullet on order. Ship date was late October but then got an email about it probably going into November.

1 - Are you going to change anything right off the bat? - Yes. My pile of parts for bikes I do not have yet is getting silly. I have carbon bars (Bontrager XXX, XT brakes, FSA Seatpost, grips and tubeless stuff already).
    2 - Did you buy for winter, sand, trail, or all? Bought this one as a winter bike. I will be going rigid and putting the Bluto on my Salsa Bucksaw frame once it comes (Jan delivery).

I was tempted to get the red but ended up with the charcoal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    As tempting as the prices may be, this guy reviewed a Night Train prototype- granted it had double-walled rims, but at 37 lbs with no pedals...wow that is a lot of bike to be pushing around.

First Ride: 2015 Motobecane NightTrain Bullet Fatbike | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That's true. I wonder though with the brake and rim upgrade, then a seat post, stem, handlebar, saddle switch and a split tube what the weight could be for just a couple hundred more dollars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm sure the excess weight is more in the frame. Part of the deal when its that much cheaper. I may end up with one of these because name brand bikes are too much money. I just looked at new KTM 300 Xcw for $7000 out the door so why the hell should a bicycle cost in the same neighborhood as a fully decked out enduro motorcycle?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    There's a guy who knows nice dirt bikes! KTM makes some really nice stuff.

I don't mean to knock the Motobecane stuff either- just kind of thinking out loud. Even buying a Fatboy Expert, for example, and adding a Bluto yourself (and a hub, etc.) you are likely pushing $3,500.00.

Certainly it'll be lighter than a Sturgis or NightTrain...but, is it worth more than twice the price? I don't know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    One thing I found in the comments section is that the author mentioned that the production bike would have lighter tires.

He also menitoned that he had hoped to post the final review before Interbike but some last minute part swaps (like adding Guide brakes which will be shipping with the Night Train) have delayed things a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    As tempting as the prices may be, this guy reviewed a Night Train prototype- granted it had double-walled rims, but at 37 lbs with no pedals...wow that is a lot of bike to be pushing around.

First Ride: 2015 Motobecane NightTrain Bullet Fatbike | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That's true. And with the lighter wheel set, and maybe putting in some lighter tubes (Q-Tubes?)...or, of course, tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I was active in the MB thread back in August when trying to figure out what to order, especially size-wise.

Did anyone notice the new sizing chart on the Night Train/Sturgis? I am 5'8" and almost always ride a "medium" or 17" frame. Which all happens to be about 585-590mm effective top tube. When I ordered in August, the 15.5" had an ETT of 593mm. The 17.5" had an ETT of 598mm. When I emailed BD to question the paltry5mm difference in a 2" larger bike, they said "due to the fat tires, we can only make a frame so short without toe overlap". So I ordered the 15.5" for the extra standover.

However, on their website now, the 15.5" has been updated to a 575mm ETT! (17.5" remains at 598mm) Which will be far too short for me. Anyone who could decide between the 15.5 or 17.5" frame and decided on the 15.5", I would strongly recommend you go back and review the geometry chart again now that they've updated it. The 15.5" now falls in line with my original expectations of size with a very short 575mm ETT.

I've now changed my order to a 17.5" frame as a result.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    I was active in the MB thread back in August when trying to figure out what to order, especially size-wise.

Did anyone notice the new sizing chart on the Night Train/Sturgis?

However, on their website now, the 15.5" has been updated to a 575mm ETT! (17.5" remains at 598mm) Which will be far too short for me. Anyone who could decide between the 15.5 or 17.5" frame and decided on the 15.5", I would strongly recommend you go back and review the geometry chart again now that they've updated it. The 15.5" now falls in line with my original expectations of size with a very short 575mm ETT.
    Argh!!! That is pretty frustrating to find out. I wonder if they ever intended to tell any of us that have orders in for the 15" now 15.5"?

Checking the specs compared to my current ride, it seems I should be on the 17.5" as well. In reality, I think I could fit either size with a stem adjustment but I don't want toe overlap. I wouldn't mind the extra standover and just getting a longer stem either.

To those in the know...what are the pros/cons of going with the smaller size when you are a tweener?
    Last edited by OnThaCouch; 09-24-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: clarification

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hi All. I have a Sturgis Bullet on order. Anyone know what the rim size is? Here is what is on their website:

WEINMANN HL80 ALLOY SINGLE WALL 26" x 73/80xH24 , 26x3.0-4-1/2 ,32H,W/FV BLACK ANOD.W/O EYELET , W/O CNC , W/ BIG HOLES ( 32mm ) / 14Gx64PCS STAINLESS W/BRASS 14MM NIPPLE.

Does this mean 80mm? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yeah it is an 80mm rim.

I will disagree about the Motobecane frames being heavy - at least the one I have. I have a Fantom 29er Pro and stripped it down to the frame and it was very light. Under 4lbs for a large size frame. Not too bad for a budget frame. Obviously with the wider profile the Sturgis/NT frames will be heavier but not by too much. The Boris weights seem to be coming in at normal fat bike numbers, given the build spec. I have new bars and seatpost coming - the MB ones are very heavy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks for the reply. I haven't even gotten the bike yet and I'm wondering if 29+ wheels will fit. Anyone with any thoughts or guesses?

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum1 View Post
    thanks for the reply. I haven't even gotten the bike yet and I'm wondering if 29+ wheels will fit. Anyone with any thoughts or guesses?
    I am guessing they will, but I'm holding out for some mid sized 27.5 alum rims to be released. Possibly the Hugo or similar setup under 65 mm wide. Also waiting for a decent tire in the mid 3's to match up with tweeter rims. This bike comes stock setup for snow and sand, but it will sail thru the trails with better wheels and tires!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    How come there is no small frames (15.5) with the Bluto?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    How come there is no small frames (15.5) with the Bluto?
    Sold out maybe? I had a 15.5" Night Train Bullet ordered back in August. Then changed my mind and confirmed a 15.5" Sturgis Bullet. And now went to a 17.5" (non-bullet). Unless this is another change that the 15.5" won't clear the Bluto fork anymore due to the updated geometry.

mtbr member

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

Anyone know if the surly ice cream truck fork will fit the bullet models in place of the bluto? From what I can tell it should.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Surly ICT /483mm axle to crown, 47mm offset. Now all you have to do is find out the NT #'s

mtbr member
    Sold out maybe? I had a 15.5" Night Train Bullet ordered back in August. Then changed my mind and confirmed a 15.5" Sturgis Bullet. And now went to a 17.5" (non-bullet). Unless this is another change that the 15.5" won't clear the Bluto fork anymore due to the updated geometry.
    So there was some listed. Guess I'll keep waiting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have a white 19Ē on order. As for changes? Iím a single speed guy so I will consider converting the Bullet to SS and selling the extra parts. If I really like it I might pick up a Carbon frame unbranded and move all of the parts over I need and sell off all of the extra stuff. So far as I can tell the Bullet with Bluto is about the best deal out there, if there is a better one I havenít found it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Would anyone care to comment on why they for for the sturgis or night train? Are the upgraded tires and brakes worth it? I guess higher tpi tires are better? I have a sturgis bullet in order but am now considering upgrading for the extra $200. I would love to get some thoughts from anyone who has them. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

Would anyone care to comment on why they for for the sturgis or night train? Are the upgraded tires and brakes worth it? I guess higher tpi tires are better? I have a sturgis bullet in order but am now considering upgrading for the extra $200. I would love to get some thoughts from anyone who has them. Thanks.
    Better brakes makes a big difference on heavy bikes. That and the upgraded drive train was worth the extra $200 for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That's great to know. I don't have any experience with fat bikes so I I'm buying blind to some degree(aside from online research of course.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It looks like by upgrading my order from Sturgis to Sturgis bullet, I'm losing the series of 3 bolts on each side of the fork. I wonder if I'll miss that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I went with the Sturgis Bullet - mostly because of cost and I will probably end up swapping the brakes to Shimano anyway (already have 5 MTB's in the house with Shimano brakes), tires and rear derailleurs are consumables - I will have to replace them anyway. Either bike is a great deal, but having already bought 3 new bikes this year AND putting a deposit on a new Salsa Bucksaw I figured the $200 saved was a better option for me than the X9 stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Parts on the Night Train that are "better" than the Sturgis:

Price Comparison On Amazon.com
    Rear Derailer - x9 vs x7 (About $30 difference)
    Shifters - x7 vs x5 (About $12 difference)
    Brakes - Guide RS vs Tektro Draco (About $170 / pair difference)

Price Comparison on eBay
    Tires - 120TP vs 72TPI (Around $50 / pair difference)

So, for $200, getting around $262 retail "better" stuff to upgrade to the Night Train. Keep in mind that that is the DIFFERENCE in price buying new. Not the price to replace something with an upgrade. For example, if you want to upgrade the tires to 120TPI, you are looking at spending $150-$200. At that point you've blown it assuming you don't mind the Vee Snowshoe for a 120tpi tire. I doubt you could sell the "take offs" at full retail price to get to the $50 difference. Likewise for the rest of the parts, especially the brakes.

If somebody is trying to determine what to buy, I would say if you are like the poster above and plan to swap things out, get the lower priced version. If you are like me, and plan on riding "as is", the $200 may be worth it - assuming the Guide RS are that much better and the weight of the tires matters to you. I will say that I have Tektro Draco brakes on my jump bike and they work just fine and don't give me any issues. However, that is with 26" wheels on a bike that I just play around on and don't ride much. Fat Bike mileage may vary.

Tom

mtbr member
    Unless this is another change that the 15.5" won't clear the Bluto fork anymore due to the updated geometry.
    Do you have information that this is true? Or just speculating?

I haven't received any info from BD about this but would be really unhappy if there ends up being a clearance issue for the Bluto.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    Do you have information that this is true? Or just speculating?

I haven't received any info from BD about this but would be really unhappy if there ends up being a clearance issue for the Bluto.
    Purely speculation in the absence of any official information. But it would be odd that all 15.5" frames sold out before the more traditional 17"/19" sizes.

However, the new frame geometry of the 15.5" is truth according to their latest frame geometry on their website.

mtbr member
    Purely speculation in the absence of any official information. But it would be odd that all 15.5" frames sold out before the more traditional 17"/19" sizes.

However, the new frame geometry of the 15.5" is truth according to their latest frame geometry on their website.
    I hear ya. When I ordered mine it was a 15" not 15.5". The "silent" geometry change with a lack of contacting anyone that ordered one when the old geo charts were up is pretty lame. I have an email into BD about changing to the 17.5" as it is now closer to my current rig.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Since this is an experiment in fat biking for me and I will likely change out to SS I stopped at the Bullet with Bluto fork. I was going to go rigid but reviews of the Bluto seem favorable so that's where my extra money went. If and when I get different tires I will want the choice of the market.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Chose the Sturgis Bullet as I plan to replace the tires and can use the $200 saved (vs the Nighttrain Bullet) towards those. But I had to think about this for a while as all of the bikes seem like great deals making it hard to choose.

By the way here is the stock as of this morning. To check stock just add about 10 to your cart and press "check out" it comes back with how many are available.

Name:  Availability 3.JPG
Views: 4656
Size:  29.5 KB
    Last edited by GaryBee; 10-07-2014 at 12:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Sturgis/Night train suspension corrected? Any of you geometry guru's have thoughts on if the frame is as lively with a suspension fork as without. A friend rode the new Trek Farley with Bluto and said it was razor quick. The Bullet/Night train frame and Farley have the same seat/head tube angles. In the pictures it looks set back more vs. the non suspension model.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Singletracks Final Review of the NightTrain Bullet is up and it goes into a bit more detail as to how the bike rides.

"Steep climbs were a cinch, and I didnít really need any of my usual tricks to avoid breaking traction while ascending slippery roots and loose rocks. Rock gardens that normally required concentration to maintain a reasonable line were navigable on autopilot. Steep, rolling drops felt less daunting; I was, after all, riding on a pair of donut-shaped marshmallows. Chunky, fast descents were a breeze thanks to the Bluto suspension fork."

Final Review: Motobecane NightTrain Bullet Fat Bike | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-motobecane_nighttrain_fat_bike2.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Only about a month to go. :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have officially upgraded from sturgis to night train!

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBee View Post
    Singletracks Final Review of the NightTrain Bullet is up and it goes into a bit more detail as to how the bike rides.

"Steep climbs were a cinch, and I didnít really need any of my usual tricks to avoid breaking traction while ascending slippery roots and loose rocks. Rock gardens that normally required concentration to maintain a reasonable line were navigable on autopilot. Steep, rolling drops felt less daunting; I was, after all, riding on a pair of donut-shaped marshmallows. Chunky, fast descents were a breeze thanks to the Bluto suspension fork."

Final Review: Motobecane NightTrain Bullet Fat Bike | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motobecane_nighttrain_fat_bike2.jpg 
Views:	1658 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	928720

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If I got a sturgis and I want to get a ice cream truck frame in the future could I swap all the parts over? It seems the rims are the same size. How about the crank and bb?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hoobash View Post
    If I got a sturgis and I want to get a ice cream truck frame in the future could I swap all the parts over? It seems the rims are the same size. How about the crank and bb?
    The BB is a definite no. The crank is a maybe. It should fit but you might need some ~2mm spacers.
    The lower headset is a no. Not sure about the upper.
    The seatpost and saddle clamp are a no. The front derailleur looks to be a no.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hoobash View Post
    I got my Sturgis Bullet ordered, then test rode a Salsa Bucksaw at a demo day. I thought, hey I can buy the Bucksaw frame and swap all the parts over. Seemed like a good idea, but the only parts that will really swap over are front wheel, Bluto (I hope the steer tube is long enough), rear derailleur and shifter. I ended up just buying all new parts for the Bucksaw - and several upgrade parts for the Sturgis. :-)
    I really hope the Bluto will work, but then I need to find a rigid fork that will fit the Sturgis, but should be cheaper than a $550 Bluto.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I received the following email from BD today. Looks like the NT/Sturgis are en route to the states. More bikes and separate frames/forks due the beginning of next year. (bold added by me)
    Hi, Thank you for pre-ordering a New Motobecane FatBike.

Many customers have the idea that we get bikes from just one factory. The fact is; we receive bikes from 3 different factories in Taiwan and 3 different factories in China.

The Factory that produces the Sturgis, Night Train, Lurch, and Boris The Brut FAT BIKE models is unsurpassed in quality by ANY factory in Asia. However, like all bicycle factories, their volume and experience with Fat Bikes is limited. Fat Bikes are after all a small and relatively new market.

Our first run of Lurchs sold out and reviews by customers have been fantastic overall. However, we felt packing could be improved. Therefore, our CEO had the factory slow down production, increase inspections, and improve packing. In order to meet shipping requests, the factory had workers over time during the weekend.

Great News; the Sturgis and Night Train models are on the way. Better News; we feel there are no higher quality aluminum Fat Bikes produced.

Based on latest shipping confirmation these bikes could arrive at our Dallas warehouse anywhere from October 27th to November 10th. We wish that links in the distribution chain was as predictable as links in a bike chain. Of course, ocean vessels, trains, longshoremen, US Customs, and local truckers all have their own ideas on timely execution of their duties.

We are very excited to see the customer response to these bikes.

In January, Sturgis Bullet framesets will be available AND an extra shipment of complete Sturgis / Night Train bikes. Also in January, we will get Sturgis AL forks, Sturgis Express CF forks, and Lurch chrome-moly forks.

Thanks again,

Order Processing Team at Bikes Direct

Be Safe and Have Fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    nice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    SO EXCITED!!!! now I just have to keep myself occupied until the end of the month.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am glad they put the bit about the CF Sturgis forks in January. That is about the time I will be needing one! And being a BD product I know it will be reasonably priced.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So if I regret getting a Bluto I can order up an aluminum one in January? I wonder what color forks they'll have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Purple Night Train, Size 19

1) Grips, Saddle, some nice flats, Surly rack.
    2) Mostly winter but I would imagine it will see some summer use too. It just looks too fun.
    3)10/27-11/10

mtbr member
    Orange Sturgis, Size 17.5

1. Thomson seatpost that I had laying around from upgrading to dropper posts on other bikes, Avid DB3 brakes and rotors that I got on Ebay new for $31 shipped...apparently nobody likes white brakes anymore. San Marco Aspide saddle, 700mm Carbon Ritchey handlebar, 50mm Truvativ stem or 70mm Syncros stem whichever feels better, light-weight tubes from pricepoint, probably will swap the nipples to anodized aluminum for kicks since I have so many kicking around.

2. Mostly winter here too (Maine.) So many snowmobile trails that I have ridden for years on old 2.7 Nokian Gazzalodis but this should be much better and hopefully keep me somewhat fit through winter so I am not such a slug come spring. I really look forward to trying it in summer although I have been a devout full-sus-tons-of-travel rider since my first Heckler in 1997.

3. 10/20-10/28

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Which rubes at pricepioint? Have a link?

Anyone guess what the stock ones will weigh?
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman

mtbr member
    Price Point Tube | Inner tube | Presta | Schrader | Valve

I will get schrader and drill the rims because I can't tolerate presta valves and when I go tubeless I use the 949Racing valves. I will get the 2.25-2.5 tubes. I have one left over that I pumped up to about 5" in diameter without being in a tire and it has been fine for over a month now. They stretch enough.

My guess at stock tube weight: too much.

Also, If someone is looking to upgrade the bar (as stock probably weighs a ton) price point has the the Easton Haven bar in low rise 711mm width for only $28 and uncut it is 270g which is respectable for an aluminum bar. I have had one on my Butcher for a year and a half and I love it, stiff and I dig the polished aluminum look. The finish is durable but the white and black graphics come off somewhat easily. But for $28 a name-brand bar that is fairly light can't be beat. Easton Haven Lo Rise 711mm 31.8 Limited Silver Handlebar | Easton

mtbr member
    Only a couple weeks out now...someone has to be getting excited. I know I am. I was hoping for a suprise 6" of snow; we got that much on Halloween two years ago but right now we are still having days in the mid-70's.

Like someone said in another Motobecane thread, I don't think I would have been thinking of upgrades if I didn't have to wait for it.

mtbr member

My ship window opened 4 days ago, so I was hoping for mid October delivery. Sounds like early to mid November is most likely. Slightly disappointing, but I will get over it.

Trying to decide on an accent color that would make it pop. I've already got a shorter stem for it. Definitely getting some nice flats, a dropper, grips, and maybe bars. And a 4.0 Nate for the snow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah...well, don't get too excited. The date range is wider...Oct 27 - Nov 10. So, could come to you as late as 11/17 (or later, especially if they all show up in Texas on Nov 10) depending on where you are in the country.

Since these come signature required, that almost always screws me up. Those guys ring the doorbell, throw the sticker on the door, and run like hell back to the truck to meet their delivery quotas. That means I have to wait until the weekend to get the bike.

I am setting my expectations to being happy if I get the bike before Thanksgiving so I am not too disappointed if that happens..

Tom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    My ship window opened 4 days ago, so I was hoping for mid October delivery. Sounds like early to mid November is most likely. Slightly disappointing, but I will get over it.
    What makes you think that it will be so much later? My window is the 20th to the 1st I think but I haven't received any sort of notification that it will be delayed. I assumed it would be the tail end of the time frame but of course have some small hope that it will be at the early end.

I did notice that the 17.5 Sturgis is sold out in both colors so I am ggd I ordered when I did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by silvbullit View Post
    What makes you think that it will be so much later? My window is the 20th to the 1st I think but I haven't received any sort of notification that it will be delayed. I assumed it would be the tail end of the time frame but of course have some small hope that it will be at the early end.

I did notice that the 17.5 Sturgis is sold out in both colors so I am ggd I ordered when I did.
    A while ago some folks that ordered early were sent an email about a possible 2 week delay due to sourcing issues.

My original ship date was/is Oct 18. I am not planning on it shipping until the end of the month. If it comes earlier, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I posted the estimated ship date from BD in post #48. Current schedule is October 27th to November 10th.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Here is the letter from BikesDirect in case you didn't get it... It was sent on 10/7.

Hi, Thank you for pre-ordering a New Motobecane FatBike.

Many customers have the idea that we get bikes from just one factory. The fact is; we receive bikes from 3 different factories in Taiwan and 3 different factories in China.

The Factory that produces the Sturgis, Night Train, Lurch, and Boris The Brut FAT BIKE models is unsurpassed in quality by ANY factory in Asia. However, like all bicycle factories, their volume and experience with Fat Bikes is limited. Fat Bikes are after all a small and relatively new market.

Our first run of Lurchs sold out and reviews by customers have been fantastic overall. However, we felt packing could be improved. Therefore, our CEO had the factory slow down production, increase inspections, and improve packing. In order to meet shipping requests, the factory had workers over time during the weekend.

Great News; the Sturgis and Night Train models are on the way. Better News; we feel there are no higher quality aluminum Fat Bikes produced.

Based on latest shipping confirmation these bikes could arrive at our Dallas warehouse anywhere from October 27th to November 10th. We wish that links in the distribution chain was as predictable as links in a bike chain. Of course, ocean vessels, trains, longshoremen, US Customs, and local truckers all have their own ideas on timely execution of their duties.

We are very excited to see the customer response to these bikes.

In January, Sturgis Bullet framesets will be available AND an extra shipment of complete Sturgis / Night Train bikes. Also in January, we will get Sturgis AL forks, Sturgis Express CF forks, and Lurch chrome-moly forks.

Thanks again,

Order Processing Team at Bikes Direct

Be Safe and Have Fun

mtbr member
    Here is the text from the email I received on August 13.

Hi, Thanks for being a smart cyclist and saving hundreds on your new Motobecane FatBike.

Update on your order - these incredibly fun Fat Bikes are nearly pre-sold out! Wow! Due to production timing and availability, specialty Fat Bike parts are in short supply. Major parts suppliers have communicated minor delays so these are running a little later than projected. Even though it's only about 10 to 11 days later, we wanted to make sure you were made aware of this possibility. There is a small chance they will not be delayed but we are updating the arrival dates on the site just in case. If this is a deal breaker for you, PLEASE LET US KNOW RIGHT AWAY AND WE CAN REFUND YOU IN FULL.

Thanks again for being a smart cyclist and saving hundreds off your new Motobecane FatBike.

Best regards,

The Friendly Folks at Bikesdirect.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone looking ahead to the spring and summer and thinking about what tires to put on these bad boys? Anyone going to keep the snowshoes on? I'm thinking maybe knard 3.8s.

mtbr member
    I find it odd that I never get any of these update emails at all.

As far as tires I am going to run the stock ones to the cords since fat bike tires are so damn expensive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Check your spam folder....
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ordered the sturgis bullet, since I waited too long to pull trigger on night train.. ... I plan on tossing on one floaters during the summer,, i've been real happy with them on my pug for the last two years... and the cost is more gentle on the wallet

mtbr member
    A little off topic....

Would any of the current Stages powermeter crank arms work with the stock Samox crank arm on the Night Train?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone have a MatteSilver NightTrain Bullet? Wondering how it looks in person. Really wanted the matte black but no stock ;(
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Go to the first page of this thread. I posted a pic of a matte silver fantom29. Should give you the idea.
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    Anyone have a MatteSilver NightTrain Bullet? Wondering how it looks in person. Really wanted the matte black but no stock ;(
    They have pics of the actual matte silver on the site. They were updated from the photoshopped ones a little while back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone know if the seat post is internal routing for a dropper? Such as the integra?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Someone cancel their medium or large order for the matte black NightTrain bullet so I can order one lol
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have a Sturgis Bullet gunmetal gray metallic in 19 inch on order.

I have a Easton EA70 400mm seat post and a Specialized Henge seat ready to go on it. I also have a spare X9 type 2 medium rear derailleur I may install if I don't like the x7 long RD. I will probably get a 750mm bar and shorter stem at some point.

I will try tubeless with gorilla tape and homemade sealant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well pretty upset. Went ahead and tried to buy the silver and it wouldn't let me. Said sold out even though its in the drop down box.
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    Well pretty upset. Went ahead and tried to buy the silver and it wouldn't let me. Said sold out even though its in the drop down box.
    Some thing happened to me with the Boris. The drop downs do not get updated as often as their stock changes. You should reach out to them to see if there is a wait list in case some people cancel orders.

mtbr member
    Soon to be added to the BD aresenal...Night Train Frame/Bluto combo...

From their FB page...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bikesdirect/122199864367

Bikesdirect

2 hours ago.

#Motobecane #Sturgis Bullet #Fatbike Framesets Will Be In About January 15th
    SIX Custom Metal Flake Colors

FrameSet Sale Price Includes Rockshox Bluto And Headset
    (no wheels or other parts)
    $1995 Value - These Will Be $895

#fatbikes #mtbr #bikerumor #pinkbike #fatwallet #bicycling #mountainbikeaction #cycling #slickdeals #fatwallet

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ive called and begged lol..No luck. If i wait till mid Jan. winter will be half over..
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Date Approaches!!!!!

I ordered a17.5" Sturgis Bullet in Gunmetal Grey. ship date 11/05(but im hoping for sooner so I could maybe catch the last weekend of riding at mountain creek)

I plan on swapping the saddle for a brooks cambium

and trying out a dropper seat post for the first time [this seems like a decent inexpensive one](Amazon.com : DNM Mountain Bike Dropper Seatpost Remote Lockout 330mm : Bike Seat Posts And Parts : Sports & Outdoors).

planning on going tubeless

and swapping a shorter stem, maybe a 70mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone buy the NightTrain and a bluto separately? Go on ok? Thinking of doing this since all the Bullets are out of stock till Jan
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    I am not sure if anyone noticed but the Motobecane website shows the headtube angle at 69.5 and BD lists it as 70. I kind hope for the slack measurement to be correct. I haven't owned a bike steeper than 67 degrees in over a decade.

My solution to a dropper on the fatbike will be a Salsa QR seatpost collar. Strava be damned.

mtbr member
    The photo for the WR Green Sturgis has also been updated to reflect the correct brakes, the 72dpi Snowshoes, and single-wall rims from what I can see.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone converting to 1 by 10? I'm thinking of getting a next sl and swapping from the beginning. Maybe I could get a few dollars for the samox crankset.

Live Free & Ride
    Anyone converting to 1 by 10? I'm thinking of getting a next sl and swapping from the beginning. Maybe I could get a few dollars for the samox crankset.
    Yes most likely after winter riding. Could also just pony up 30 bucks for the NW chainring and slap it on the Samox.
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    True. I don't have the legs for that. I would need to get a 42t cog for that cuz I would think the smallest front chainring that is possible is a 30t correct?

Live Free & Ride
    True. I don't have the legs for that. I would need to get a 42t cog for that cuz I would think the smallest front chainring that is possible is a 30t correct?
    Yeah only 30T on the single ring...direct mount on a Next or Turbine cinch would allow 26, 28T. Been seeing successful fat bikes with the 40-42 cog conversion too. I think 1 x 10,11 makes sense for a lot of riders and can be done... Go for it!
    Last edited by NH Mtbiker; 10-16-2014 at 07:27 PM.
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a next SL on my other mountain bike and love it. I go back and forth. It makes more monetary sense to go with a 30t up front and a 42t in back but then I'm looking at $150 for something that may have chain line issues(I've heard chain drops with back pedaling) or slow shifting into the smaller rear cogs. I'll pay triple the price for a next sl with a 26t front ring with a smaller range but I know it will work. Hmmmm.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Zero
    I have a next SL on my other mountain bike and love it. I go back and forth. It makes more monetary sense to go with a 30t up front and a 42t in back but then I'm looking at $150 for something that may have chain line issues(I've heard chain drops with back pedaling) or slow shifting into the smaller rear cogs. I'll pay triple the price for a next sl with a 26t front ring with a smaller range but I know it will work. Hmmmm.....
    Go with he new turbine cinch with a direct mount and save $250 over the next sl. I like the next sl but can't justify the 1/4 lb savings for about $250.

mtbr member
    1x is still useless to me. I love to chug up technical uphills even if a little trials maneuvers are required but the trails here also have plenty of moderate downhills that you have to pedal for if you want to get going 25+ mph and anything smaller than a 34t will spin out.

I get trying to simplify but I have never had a front derailleur fail on a ride and the gearing range seems worth the "clutter."

It must be that northeast trails are tougher and the buff superhighway singletrack out west allows for higher gearing. When I lived in Colo Spgs 25 miles was a solid ride and back here in Maine 12+ miles pretty much poops me out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anyone see the Boris Bluto they now have?

Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X9 SRAM

I originally wanted a Boris X9 (rigid) but they were sold out, so I went "all in" and went Night Train Bullet. I am thinking of switching over to the Boris X9 Bluto now that they have it with the Bluto, and for $300 less.. Looks like the major difference is only the brakes.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thoughts?
    The big difference is 170 vs 190 rear hub spacing. If 4" tires are the widest you want, go Boris. If you want 4.8", go Night Train/Sturgis.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Put in my order for a jet black night train. Excited for these bad boys. Those SRAM guides are great. Felt them on an enduro this past weekend and I'm glad they are coming on the fat bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I just ordered a Night Train Bullet Yesterday. They weren't available in the 21M for some time and somehow for a very short time they were yesterday. We'll see if one shows up...they did send me a tracking number
    Looking at Big-O fenders since I plan to ride mine in the riverbed allot. Looking for feedback on that if anyone has experience with them.

Been riding roadies since 83, this will be my first offroad adult bike....pretty stoked about it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I paid using PayPal and I did not get a tracking #. Does this mean they are already shipping?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    I paid using PayPal and I did not get a tracking #. Does this mean they are already shipping?
    I would follow up with BD. When I ordered mine, I got a tracking number right away. Hasn't shown any activity/movement since then but I think that has been their process.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I ordered Sunday night. Their site says an email within 24 hours yet nothing in spam folder or regular folder. I'll reach out to them

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I got an email today about Bikesdirect and was all excited thinking maybe the bikes had gotten to them early. Nope, just a request for a review of my purchase from Bizrate... I am counting down the days! The pile of parts in packages still has gotten quite large, although most of them are for my Bucksaw build that I still have to wait another two months for. :-(

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I bought this thinking it would be better than a cold conductive aluminum handlebar.Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-handlebar.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    November 10th Ship date! Can't wait

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast