Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 32727879808182
Results 4,051 to 4,066 of 4066
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justin70 View Post
    Does replacing the hub require totally breaking down the wheel and building it back up?
    Yup. You'll need to remove the spokes from the rim in order to get them off the hub. In order for you to remove the nipples that hold the spokes and then reinstall them you'll need access to the holes on the other side of the rim. In order to do that you'll need to remove the tire and rim tape.
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I know it's snow season, but I decided now was the time to pick up some 29+ wheels for my Sturgis. These are the Framed Pro-X 29+ for 150/197 thru axles. They are actually pretty light, but they came with heavy tubes (presta tubes, but rims drilled for Schraeder(???)). They are probably not good candidates for tubeless in any form, though - the rims are quite deep. They are 47mm wide and came with 3" Chronicle tires. I just mocked them up as it's snowing right now and I just swapped Bud & Lou to my fat wheels. I'll give them the real test in the Spring, unless I get a bug to take them to Ray's Indoor MTB Park (which has a high probability). They are nearly the exact same diameter as Bud or Lou, but the fatties squish a bit more while riding, so these ride slightly higher. The bike feels like I am supposed to ride farther with the 29+ mounted - like it just wants to go.
    btw - they could've made the chainstays ~1/2" or more shorter on these frames and still fit these no problem.

One potential problem I see is that the derailleur is really exposed when you put narrower tires on such a wide rear end. Hoping for the best.

Attachment 1110388

-F
    So I gave these new 29+ wheels a working over today. They roll really nice and freehub engagement is pretty good. They saved about 3# over the fat wheels and tires.

BUT - there's always a "but" - For conditions in which I would use them, basically low-speed crawling on very rocky terrain, the fatbike with narrow wheels is not ideal. The chainring is wayyy out there on that 120mm bottom bracket and gets whacked often, as do the pedals. The derailleur is wayyyy out there - it survived.
    The wheels function just fine, and I climbed some crazy stuff easily, and enjoyed great steep braking traction and control. The front tire rotated slightly under braking so I'm going to have to glue it in with a little Stans just to make it stick.

-F

edit: more tire testing. 3-5" of snow was nice. Traction on off-camber stuff is positively superior. In places where I'm expecting the tire to slip sideways, it just climbs up. Cornering is similar. I think I can feel the tire slowing me down a little when I get over on those shoulder knobs, but that is price of crazy traction. Running 11-14psi, went as low as 8.
    I was expecting all the snow to melt, so I swapped to 29+. Then 2 days later we got 4-5" more snow. That meant it was time for more tire testing.

The Chronicles were aired down to "slightly wrinkled". Conditions were light snow over frozen. I had decent traction in line with the tire for both propulsion and braking, but the front tire kept washing all over the place. It couldn't quite cut through to the base layer so it kept floating around on the turns. That took a lot of attention.
    So, like most tires of any size, if you can't get the Chronicle to bite into the base material of the riding surface, it doesn't work very well.
    But again, the tires worked well in rocks, mud, dry, no trail, sand (to a degree), ... You can feel them dragging on pavement, though.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I was expecting all the snow to melt, so I swapped to 29+. Then 2 days later we got 4-5" more snow. That meant it was time for more tire testing.

The Chronicles were aired down to "slightly wrinkled". Conditions were light snow over frozen. I had decent traction in line with the tire for both propulsion and braking, but the front tire kept washing all over the place. It couldn't quite cut through to the base layer so it kept floating around on the turns. That took a lot of attention.
    So, like most tires of any size, if you can't get the Chronicle to bite into the base material of the riding surface, it doesn't work very well.
    But again, the tires worked well in rocks, mud, dry, no trail, sand (to a degree), ... You can feel them dragging on pavement, though.

-F
    What wheel/tire combo are you running again? Is it the set that Bikesdirect.com is selling for $249?
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Delete
    Last edited by akacoke; 03-21-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    any one has the stock fork laying around wanna sell? prefer black one. will take other colors
    I have a brand new take off from a size small. It's black. Pm me if you are interested.
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Just waiting for the lbs for that new hub...shot from last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Bear View Post
    Fleas- I'm looking forward to hearing more about this, as I am thinking of getting a 29+ wheelset for my Sturgis as well. Can you put up a photo of the rear wheel showing how much space is back there when you have a chance?

Did you consider the 29+ wheelset from BD? I know the hub is 190, but they're $250 and I think good candidates for tubeless.
    The problem with the BD wheels is the lousy Novatech rear hub. You cannot trust it not to fail like many other on this forum have experienced.
    Last edited by Allamuchy Joe; 03-20-2017 at 05:05 AM.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2015 Boris FS X9 Bluto Fatbike
    2016 Cannondale Bad Habit 2

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    What wheel/tire combo are you running again? Is it the set that Bikesdirect.com is selling for $249?
    Quote Originally Posted by Allamuchy Joe View Post
    The problem with the BD wheels is the lousy Novatech rear hub. You cannot trust it not to fail like many other on this forum have experienced.
    I've been able to keep my OEM Novatec rear hub going for 2 years now. It has required some vigilance and conscientious maintenance, though. Literally, even a few minutes of neglect could mean the difference between working and broken if it is loose or a bearing is contaminated. It's nothing like the maintenance intervals on any other "normal" bicycle component.

The 29+ wheels are from The House. Framed Pro-X w/ 29x3 Chronicles and Pub Hubs. As soon as it dries out a bit I might be able to get mean with that rear Pub Hub. So far I haven't had enough traction to really test it on some hard climbs.
    The BD wheels had too skinny rims to be considered for plus duty IMO.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've been able to keep my OEM Novatec rear hub going for 2 years now. It has required some vigilance and conscientious maintenance, though. Literally, even a few minutes of neglect could mean the difference between working and broken if it is loose or a bearing is contaminated. It's nothing like the maintenance intervals on any other "normal" bicycle component.

The 29+ wheels are from The House. Framed Pro-X w/ 29x3 Chronicles and Pub Hubs. As soon as it dries out a bit I might be able to get mean with that rear Pub Hub. So far I haven't had enough traction to really test it on some hard climbs.
    The BD wheels had too skinny rims to be considered for plus duty IMO.

-F
    I'd agree with Flea there.... the BD 29+ wheelset, the rims are a bit narrow to give you the real benefit of plus, I used them a few times last Summer, and then got some velocity blunts... much better. however if you are going with the 29+ 3 inch tires which usually only hit a real world 2.8... you probably won't have an issue..

I have had a novetec hub on my fatbike for over 30 months.very abused during those months..... it finally gave up the ghost.. .I have two more wheelsets with them,, no issues. Novetec just sent out a replacement rachcet ring and freehub assembly... so time will tell if this solution works or not. I know someone on here hasn't had a good experience with trying this route. I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I had a very-easy time last week repairing my Novatec D202SB with this: Wheel Parts-PAWLS and SPRING

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomcom View Post
    I had a very-easy time last week repairing my Novatec D202SB with this: Wheel Parts-PAWLS and SPRING
    The ratchet ring broke on mine, which required me to take the tire off, ship the wheel to CA for replacement. Novatech put a new hub on the wheel and shipped it back. The process takes 2-3 weeks.

I got it fixed once after I heard the "pop" and I saw the racket ring was busted. That was last year -- this year I heard another "pop", so I just upgraded it to a Hope hub and didn't look back. It just got to the point where I didn't trust the hub and it affected the way I rode (not powering into climbs, not giving that extra boost at the top of hills, etc) so I replaced it.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2015 Boris FS X9 Bluto Fatbike
    2016 Cannondale Bad Habit 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm about to put red loctite on mine. I figure for a $150 wheel with a 90% of catastrophic hub failure in the next six months, why not? This way maybe I'll get many more years out of it.

mtbr member
    Yessssss

mtbr member
    Has anyone replaced or serviced the bottom bracket bearings? Would like to have some spares if I can't bring the current ones back to life.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GQV9WRE...7GWJIMCD&psc=1

Should work so long as it is the 24mm spindle
    2016 Motobecane Sturgis rigid
    2008 Yamaha WR250r http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633

mtbr member
    May 2009

Custom Sturgis Bullet

Here's my bike - finally have it where I want it.
    I think it's a 2015 (bought it slightly used).
    Frame - Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    120mm Bluto
    Everything else I stripped off and built up custom...made the ride so much nicer.

I re-used the hubs and laced them to Alex Blizzerk 90mm tubeless rims. Found Red Duck Tape that matched the frame to line the rim, put a layer of clear packing tape to firm it up, then some orange seal (thin) tubeless tape for good measure.

Tires - Surly Bud/Lou tubeless with Orange Seal Endurance formula...sealant seems to be lasting forever (tho they have a cold formula). The tires do measure about 4.8 on these rims They clear the frame just fine. They do clear the fork, but in deep snow I have a slight hump in the rim that causes tire rub every rotation. I know it's just ice, but maybe having a professional true the rim up will help since I never fine tuned it. I've never had issues with mud rubbing.

The Sammox cranks were so wide it felt like I was riding a horse...I suppose that's the nature of 190mm rear spacing. I took the advice of another poster on this board and swapped to the following crank:
    Race Face Cinch. I got the 170 spacing version instead of 190. I went with 170 length. Here is the trick to make it work: You'll need to do a 1x Raceface direct mount chainring and flip it around so that the teeth are out closer to your pedal, rather than toward the frame. This creates a perfect chainline, and allows the chain to clear larger tires with a narrower Q-factor.
    I really do feel more comfortable pedaling this bike now. I look forward to riding it, rather than just having it around when the ground is softer.
    Note - I'm still using the stock Bottom Bracket that came with the bike.

Drivetrain - I went with Shimano XT 1x11. 11-46 cassette, 26 tooth chainring. I know it sounds crazy, but it's nice for snow and I rarely hit top gear off-road, tho I like to spin.

Seatpost - Thudbuster LT. I had to run a shim since I had a 27.2 version. As long as you use carbon prep instead of grease it stays in place. Tho I enjoy a dropper on my full squish, this really does help the fatty feel more like a full suspension.

Brakes - Avid BB7. Tried & True. Adjustable on the trail.

70mm Nashbar stem, & Kore 730mm bar.

I routed the rear shift cable through the front derailleur opening, and put the brake cable through the rear derailleur opening to go all internal (brake typically mounds outside on this frame).

I don't have a super accurate scale but I think my fish scale was showing about 35 lbs.

If anybody wants my sammox crank with 2x SRAM chainrings (75 miles) - I'll sell it on the cheap.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-sturgis.jpg

Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 32727879808182