Page 81 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182 LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,050 of 4063
    mtbr member
    My RD hanger must be the 3rd gen (silver color) - this was my spare installed about 5 months ago (see above photo). So far so good. The stock one (black color) got bent.

But i'll order a spare from BD just in case this one got bent again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Does anyone know which BD hanger I need to order for the Sturgis NX? #28 or #31?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I bent 2 of Bikes Direct hangers from just laying the bike over. They are junk.

I went with the #416 hanger and its been great:

Derailleur Hanger #416
    2017 Motobecane Sturgis NX

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post

Derailleur Hanger #416

thanks for the tip, I'll order it.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    I'm not saying that people have not had issue with the Stugis derailleur hangers but my Sturgis Bullet is over a year old now and while I did not ride it much in summer, it has taken numerous crashes in the snow. So far mine has stay perfectly okay.

I wanted to give a alternative perspective that they may not all be junk. Perhaps I am just lucky? Anyway I do follow wise advice and I always carry a spare. Just in case.

mtbr member
    I have inquired with BD last 2 weeks on the Sturgis hanger and Karla told me to order hanger #28.

***** lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    I'm not saying that people have not had issue with the Stugis derailleur hangers but my Sturgis Bullet is over a year old now and while I did not ride it much in summer, it has taken numerous crashes in the snow. So far mine has stay perfectly okay.

I wanted to give a alternative perspective that they may not all be junk. Perhaps I am just lucky? Anyway I do follow wise advice and I always carry a spare. Just in case.

Similar results here. I've been meaning to purchase a replacement hanger since I purchased the bike a couple years ago but just never got around to it. The Sturgis is my primary bike during the summer (haven't had many opportunities to ride in snow much) - anything gnarly, I'll usually take the Reign. But as with all my bikes, I always make sure to lay 'em down on the non-drive side. The Sturgis' derailleur does tend to stick out a lot more than other bikes (including my kid's Lurch fatbike)... so maybe we are the lucky few.

2017 Chiner 29er (XC-race bike)
    2017 Specialized Turbo Levo

2012 Canfield Jedi
    (DH bike)
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    (fatbike)
    2011 Raleigh Renevio (road bike)
    2011 Giant Reign
    (All-Mtn/Trail bike)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post

I think it's a bit funny that they link to a video on how to bend back a derailleur hanger, but upon doing so these instantly snap.

I've had 3 bikes over the past 6 years and I've never snapped one, only bent and usually they can bend back into place well enough.

Not complaining, I love the Sturgis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post

Derailleur Hanger #416
    I must have the updated hanger as I have 2 screws going in to mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by basso4735 View Post
    I must have the updated hanger as I have 2 screws going in to mine.

You much have the newer frame that has 2 screws for the hanger but if you get the hanger with a single screw it will still work. Just not the other way around.
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    You much have the newer frame that has 2 screws for the hanger but if you get the hanger with a single screw it will still work. Just not the other way around.
    Thanks Tonyride1 - good to know, as I have a 1st and 2nd gen Sturgis/Nighttrain and was wondering about this exact thing with the multiple screw holes on gen 2.

FYI - the hanger that came on my gen 2 night train is still going strong. On the first gen, it bent from derailleur slap while dropping off a curb.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

1x alternative

It has been a while since my last post... Here is a recent photo of my Sturgis. I have added a rear rack for the winter and a section of inter tube over the dropper post to keep salt off of it (works awesome btw).

Instead of going 1x10, I found the 22t to small. On the trails the gearing was always too low, I never used the bigger gears on the cassette, but the big ring didn't give me low enough gears on the technical stuff. My solution was to change the 22t ring to a 26t ring (I considered a 24t). This change to a 26t does have one initial drawback I had to grind down the front derailure to clear the teeth on the 26t when in the larger 36t position. It was not much grinding with a dremel at all as it barely touched the teeth.

With the 26/36t crank the shifting is far smoother as the rings are much closer in size. The 26t ring makes the rear cassette range excellent for rougher trails, and keeping the 36t means I still have faster gearing for fast descents and smooth paths/trails.Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-moto.jpg
    2016 Motobecane Sturgis rigid
    2008 Yamaha WR250r http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633

mtbr member
    I have a little over 100 miles on the Sturgis since December and overall I'm still impressed.

Last night I went out for a quick ride and wanted to check the sealant when I got back so I spun the rear wheel and could feel and hear a little clunking from the hub.

I disassembled the hub and it's worth noting the non drive side axle cap was loose. I will grab some loctite for that today. Realistically how much should that cap be tightened?

Anyway I got down to the freehub and everything looked ok....Plenty of thin oil/grease in there so I'm not sure if there is an issue or if the loose axle cap was allowing some play. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Professional Crastinator
    I have a little over 100 miles on the Sturgis since December and overall I'm still impressed.

Last night I went out for a quick ride and wanted to check the sealant when I got back so I spun the rear wheel and could feel and hear a little clunking from the hub.

I disassembled the hub and it's worth noting the non drive side axle cap was loose. I will grab some loctite for that today. Realistically how much should that cap be tightened?

Anyway I got down to the freehub and everything looked ok....Plenty of thin oil/grease in there so I'm not sure if there is an issue or if the loose axle cap was allowing some play. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Common. Do not over tighten. Just so there's no wheel/hub play.

I have found the bearings and free hub ratchet to be pretty good, but the outboard freehub bearing probably gets the worst of it. Check it next time your cogs are off.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Common. Do not over tighten. Just so there's no wheel/hub play.

I have found the bearings and free hub ratchet to be pretty good, but the outboard freehub bearing probably gets the worst of it. Check it next time your cogs are off.

-F
    Perfect, thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ..check, check, check every ride. mine shelled out after a months of riding and have blue locktite on the new wheel and no issues. i'm paranoid that it will crap out so check it every ride -- a quick wiggle of the rear wheel to make sure it's not coming loose..

my buddy had his rear hub shell out and opted for a new HOPE hub, damn it's a beauty. he sent back his old hub to novatec who will fix the old one once they get the parts in -- apparently there are not parts for these hubs right now (?too many failures)..

stay atop the rear hub and hopefully it will provide you lots of fun, happy miles!...
    ..sleep is good...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by th1npower View Post
    ..check, check, check every ride. mine shelled out after a months of riding and have blue locktite on the new wheel and no issues. i'm paranoid that it will crap out so check it every ride -- a quick wiggle of the rear wheel to make sure it's not coming loose..

my buddy had his rear hub shell out and opted for a new HOPE hub, damn it's a beauty. he sent back his old hub to novatec who will fix the old one once they get the parts in -- apparently there are not parts for these hubs right now (?too many failures)..

stay atop the rear hub and hopefully it will provide you lots of fun, happy miles!...
    Looks like I was too late, ratchet ring is toast after today's ride. Hopefully BD will help but maybe it's worth it to upgrade?

mtbr member

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

Looks like I was too late, ratchet ring is toast after today's ride. Hopefully BD will help but maybe it's worth it to upgrade?

BIkesdirect does not have hubs/parts to replace, directed me to Novatec. Hopefully they will do something. Less than 2 months and 100 miles on the bike.

If I didn't have another bike the wheel would be at the LBS already, but we'll see how Novatec handles.

EDIT: Novatec is sending out a new hub body and freehub. Looks like I'm out the cost to have the hub swapped out but that shouldn't be too bad.

Last edited by basso4735; 02-06-2017 at 12:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Back in business, lbs put the new ratchet in over the weekend and the hub is back together. Novatec also sent a replacement 3 pawl freehub body and advised I should use it over the 4 pawl that it was originally spec'd with.

mtbr member

First ride, ratchet cracked AGAIN. Hub is a joke.

This one looks like it broke in multiple places.

Last edited by basso4735; 02-18-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Ride last week, total skating rink. Hopefully the rain will have melted some of this.

On top of the WRX

Nice rides!

mtbr member

I'm in the warranty period for both novatec fat wheels i have, and I'm NOT even going to pursue fixing them. Throwing good money (and time) after bad on these.

edit - somehow managed to leave out the most important part of the statement...NOT.
    Last edited by watermonkey; 02-20-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My experience at 14 months and about 1,200 miles on the Novatec hub. I weigh 160 and ride mostly singletrack on this bike.

After a few hundred miles, the hub started snapping and clicking. I took the wheel off and noticed that the NDS spacer was loose. I took the spacer off and removed the axle and freehub body. My hub has a four pawl body and a press fit ratchet ring. I cleaned everything out (it was still clean) and inspected the ratchet ring. The was no scoring or sharpening. I used a dab of Shimano freehub grease under each pawl and rebuilt the hub. This whole process took maybe ten minutes.

That was ~900 miles ago and I haven't had any problem since. I perodically check the NDS spacer to make sure it's not coming loose but it has stayed tight. I might put a dab of blue Loctite on it if it loosens again.

Overall, I've had fairly bad results with Novatec hubs. Another set of Novatecs on another bike came new with metal filings in the freehub body that bound the freehub to the hub. That was annoying. Meanwhile I have a set of cup and cone 7800 Dura Ace hubs with 15K miles on them that still turn and freewheel like butter (albeit, I've overhauled them three times). Hubs are one item on a bike where you almost always get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    Novatec is sending another round of parts, this will be the last chance. After this I'm putting in a better hub.

Just FYI, this was their response. Keep in mind the shop I had put the last ratchet in is highly reputable for my area and very experienced with fat bikes.

"If the ratchet ring is not installed with the same amount of force evenly throughout then this is the outcome. We have seen it happen several times, I would also advise that your LBS put blue lock-tite in with the outermost part of the ratchet ring between the hub shell and ratchet ring."

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ..make sure you put a helping of Blue Loc-tite on the non-drive nut for the axle!

Mine crapped out w/i the first mo or so if I recall. I sent the wheel back to Bikes Direct ($80 round trip - lame!) and then I put Blue Loc-tite on the axle nut and check almost every ride. *Knock on wood* - no issues!

If it craps out again, I'll buy a HOPE or other hub. The time down and not riding means more to me than the cost of a quality part.

Otherwise, I've been SUPER happy w/ the bike - it has been an awesome snow-filled winter in MT and now riding some of the skinny technical trails w/ the fatty. I'll probably ride it another month or two then overhaul - clean/grease and put to rest until next winter...

Happy riding,
    Micah
    ..sleep is good...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by th1npower View Post
    ..make sure you put a helping of Blue Loc-tite on the non-drive nut for the axle!

Mine crapped out w/i the first mo or so if I recall. I sent the wheel back to Bikes Direct ($80 round trip - lame!) and then I put Blue Loc-tite on the axle nut and check almost every ride. *Knock on wood* - no issues!

If it craps out again, I'll buy a HOPE or other hub. The time down and not riding means more to me than the cost of a quality part.

Otherwise, I've been SUPER happy w/ the bike - it has been an awesome snow-filled winter in MT and now riding some of the skinny technical trails w/ the fatty. I'll probably ride it another month or two then overhaul - clean/grease and put to rest until next winter...

Happy riding,
    Micah
    I did loctite the end cap after the new part the first time and unfortunately it bit the dust.

I am happy with the bike as a whole as well, but when things like this break and I'm waiting for parts while I could be riding is what sucks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Saw a Sturgis last weekend at 24HOP from a light vendor at 24 hour town. Nice lights and a beautiful bike!

mtbr member

2015 Sturgis Bullet

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-sturgis-resized-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pack66 View Post
    Saw a Sturgis last weekend at 24HOP from a light vendor at 24 hour town. Nice lights and a beautiful bike!
    I'm struggling to untangle the meaning of this post... any help?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro11 View Post
    I'm struggling to untangle the meaning of this post... any help?
    The way how I read it is apparently there's a 24-hour event at a place with a name that begins with the letter "P". So 24HOP is 24 hours of Pxxx. At that event there's a vendor that sells lights. I'm guessing the venue where vendors are gathered is called 24 Hour Town ("Downtown"). I'm assuming head lights for night riding is what that vendor is selling. So that vendor mounted the light(s) on a Sturgis to show how great it looks. Yes, a lot of assumptions I know but I let my imagination run wild sometimes.
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Just took my Night Train Bullet out for first ride with studded tires. At one point I definitely had that "feels like I'm driving a tank" feel. Vee Rubber Snowshoe XL tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any one have recommendations for a frame bag for a medium Sturgis?

mtbr member
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&psc=1&th=1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwgaines View Post
    Any one have recommendations for a frame bag for a medium Sturgis?
    This works for me and my Sturgis is a medium. I got the medium size bag. They also have a large bag. Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-fat-bike.jpg
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

mtbr member

Is the bottom bracket tool needed to service the bearings on the Sturgis? My cranks feel a bit rough so I wanted to take a look at the bearings and see what's going on.

Waiting for Godot

Every single person including myself has had these hubs fall apart. Over 100 now. The low price of these bikes is raised by poor quality hubs and BB.

My rear hub lasted 56 miles. Replaced it with a hope one and no problem 2,000 miles later. BB lasted 260 miles, started clicking. It was toast inside. I took such special care when I first got it to clean and regreased all bearings and hubs because of horror stories I read after I ordered bike. Checked and rechecked to make sure everything was tighten correctly.

Bikes direct ignored me and all emails till I called them out on forums, then they denied any wrong doing.

In the end if you want a nice bike your not going to ride get this. If your going to ride it, just get the frame and fork, build it up without the super low quality heavy parts they sell you. A few people have not had many problems, but they have very little miles on the bike. Again, everyone I know has had issues after some time.
    Out riding, leave a message

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=OilcanRacer;

In the end if you want a nice bike your not going to ride get this. If your going to ride it, just get the frame and fork, build it up without the super low quality heavy parts they sell you. A few people have not had many problems, but they have very little miles on the bike. Again, everyone I know has had issues after some time.[/QUOTE]

I will say that my lbs was very aware of the Novatec hub issue, so that's not really a Bikesdirect blame IMO. I'm sure there are other manufacturers using the same hubs and facing the same issues.

Frame+fork+wheelset+tires were enough to keep me happy on the price, just need to replace/upgrade as things break. Only problem is the downtime, which sucks.

What did you replace the BB with?

mtbr member

Singlespeed tensioner?

Has anyone converted their Sturgis to a SS? I'm in the process of doing so and ordered the Rennen Rollenlager tensioner, but it doesn't work with the current RD hanger. One, I'd need to drill the Rollenglager out just a bit to get the 12mm TA to fit thru, that isn't a big problem though. The bigger issue is that the RD hanger is quite large and would push the tensioner way out from the dropouts.

Is anyone running the bike SS, and if so, how did you solve the tensioner issue? (Also, not interested in that ghetto solution one guy here did, a loop off the chainstay.)

Thanks
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

mtbr member

Killed the third rear hub ratchet in as many rides, I'm done with the Novatec. I think I'll go with the DT Swiss Big Ride.

mtbr member

Novatec Rear Hub Bearings

For those of you guys who already replaced the bearings on your Novatec rear hubs - I understand that it comes with 5 bearings.

So may I ask - if the correct number of bearings are 4 pcs of 6902 and 1 pc of 15267? Or 3 pcs of 6902 and 2 pcs of 15267?

No problem with the front hubs as it is posted and clear to have 2pcs of 6902.

Thanks in advance for your help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Killed the third rear hub ratchet in as many rides, I'm done with the Novatec. I think I'll go with the DT Swiss Big Ride.

Did you replace the hub 3 times or just the ratchet ring? is there some trick or issue installing it?... i'll knock on wood, have 3 of these hubs... all going well ,, 2 of which have been abused for 2 years straight in western ny winters...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I will say that my lbs was very aware of the Novatec hub issue, so that's not really a Bikesdirect blame IMO. I'm sure there are other manufacturers using the same hubs and facing the same issues.
    The Novatec 190/197 hubs do kind of suck, but so do most 190/197 hubs. I think this is mainly due to the unique combination of factors with fatbikes: lots of grip, 22t chainrings, cold temperatures and very wide hub bodies. It's annoying that in this small market you really need to spend at least $400 on a rear hub to get one that's totally reliable. Really good 142 or Boost hubs are less than half of that price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twright205 View Post
    Did you replace the hub 3 times or just the ratchet ring? is there some trick or issue installing it?... i'll knock on wood, have 3 of these hubs... all going well ,, 2 of which have been abused for 2 years straight in western ny winters...
    2 ratchet ring and 2 freehub body replacements. Both at Novatec's guidance and done by a shop. Bike has 110 total miles on it.

I'm a heavy guy at 200lbs and I ride hard, but this is the first rear hub I've ever killed, and 3 times to boot.

Shop is ordering the DT Swiss 350 for me today.

Incredulous bastard
    I have a new Lurch, not one of these aluminum bikes, but it does have the same rubbish D202SB-QR-S4S Novatec rear hub. I have only had the bike since 12.24.16, and almost straight away I started hearing popping sounds out of the rear. Since this is a QR on a sliding dropout, I had been assuming that his was the cause of the noise. And I was lucky to get over 600 miles on the thing before it totally went FUBAR.

But eventually the noise got worse and worse and then the hub started tugging at the chain. I took the thing apart to find what many of you guys are used to seeing, a ratchet ring broken in 6 places. But the freehub looked fine. Okay, obviously the problem, right?

So Novatec sends me a replacement ratchet ring. Well, that is to say, Novatec sent me a replacement ring 4 days after promising it. Anyway, I eventually get the replacement, pulled out the old ring--which basically fell out, cleaned up some internal marring on the hub body, and use the bolt/washer method to effectively press in the new ring. Great!

But then when I loaded the freehub back on, I noticed a lot of the same issues were still there--tons of noise and poor freewheeling action. Eventually, after a lot of haggling with Novatec, and a LOT of close hub inspection it became clear that the actual hub was ovalized, causing the ratchet ring to be out of round inside the hub!

While going over all this, the Novatec rep asks me what kind of riding I've been doing. I explain that I'm doing both snow rides, and typical NE dry singletrack when it's available. So then he starts pontificating about how Novatec has been very clear to "Motobecane" about how these hubs are not meant for trail use! He explained that these hubs are intended for snow cover and groomed trails only!

I'm not kidding, he said that. Anyway, he then asked me to send the whole wheel back so they can replace the hub under warranty. But why the hell would I possibly do that, if they don't think the hub will last under the type of riding I'm going to do? We'd just be having this same conversation again in a few weeks.

Anyway, I told him thanks but no thanks. Then I ordered a Hope hub from Jenson. It'll be here this evening.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by no one in particular View Post
    I have a new Lurch, not one of these aluminum bikes, but it does have the same rubbish D202SB-QR-S4S Novatec rear hub. I have only had the bike since 12.24.16, and almost straight away I started hearing popping sounds out of the rear. Since this is a QR on a sliding dropout, I had been assuming that his was the cause of the noise. And I was lucky to get over 600 miles on the thing before it totally went FUBAR.

But eventually the noise got worse and worse and then the hub started tugging at the chain. I took the thing apart to find what many of you guys are used to seeing, a ratchet ring broken in 6 places. But the freehub looked fine. Okay, obviously the problem, right?

So Novatec sends me a replacement ratchet ring. Well, that is to say, Novatec sent me a replacement ring 4 days after promising it. Anyway, I eventually get the replacement, pulled out the old ring--which basically fell out, cleaned up some internal marring on the hub body, and use the bolt/washer method to effectively press in the new ring. Great!

But then when I loaded the freehub back on, I noticed a lot of the same issues were still there--tons of noise and poor freewheeling action. Eventually, after a lot of haggling with Novatec, and a LOT of close hub inspection it became clear that the actual hub was ovalized, causing the ratchet ring to be out of round inside the hub!

While going over all this, the Novatec rep asks me what kind of riding I've been doing. I explain that I'm doing both snow rides, and typical NE dry singletrack when it's available. So then he starts pontificating about how Novatec has been very clear to "Motobecane" about how these hubs are not meant for trail use! He explained that these hubs are intended for snow cover and groomed trails only!

I'm not kidding, he said that. Anyway, he then asked me to send the whole wheel back so they can replace the hub under warranty. But why the hell would I possibly do that, if they don't think the hub will last under the type of riding I'm going to do? We'd just be having this same conversation again in a few weeks.

Anyway, I told him thanks but no thanks. Then I ordered a Hope hub from Jenson. It'll be here this evening.
    Interesting-the person I've been emailing at Novatec didn't mention anything like that.

Don't other brands use these hubs as well? I thought Specialized used them, maybe they have stopped though.

I believe you are correct that the hub becomes out of round and is the culprit of the multiple failures. Most likely that non drive side end cap loosens up, allows the freehub to destroy the ratchet and ovalize the shell. Good luck after that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Interesting-the person I've been emailing at Novatec didn't mention anything like that.

Don't other brands use these hubs as well? I thought Specialized used them, maybe they have stopped though.
    Joytech owns the Novatec brand. Joytech, Formula and Chosen seem to make most of the private label hubs so it seems likely that Joytech hubs are lurking under other brand names. I think Joytech is the largest hub maker in Taiwan. I've had a mixed experience with inexpensive Taiwanese hubs, some are bulletproof, other are totally unreliable. Other brands have similar problems. For example, Specialized has definitely had lots of issues with Fat Boy hubs in the past. IMO, rear hubs are one place not to skimp in a bike. The problem with fat bikes is that the market is so small that prices are ridiculous high for anything good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ..bugger to hear about the failures; all i/we want to do is ride!

..the issue as I found out from reading the Motobecane threads was the axle coming loose then the freehub "rounds out" the hub and destroys the ratchet ring. I'm not sure the hub is salvageable once this happens, which is probably why some have repeat failures.

I went the "replace the ring route" 1x after my hub started popping, catching, and eventually the ring exploded. The 2nd ring didn't last days b/c of the damage to the hub body already done, I don't think they come damaged.

I sent my wheel back to Motobecane and got a new one, 1st thing out of the box was to blue loc-tite the living hell out of the axle and make sure it's tight when put on and the wheel shows no free-play in the bike -- been wrenching on bikes a long time so know the "feel" of a loose hub from the old cup-cone days. After a year of intense abuse riding rocks, dirt, sand, mud, slush, etc I've been lucky to have no failure.

It's pure BS that Novatec says these are for "Snow Only" use... trying to cover a shitty design w/ lots of failures, imho! Novatec told the same thing to my riding buddy, also on a Motobecane w/ the hub issues, and he didn't want the hassle of dealing w/ them so bought a Hope hub w/o any issues.. I'll probably do the same if/when my hub were to explode again.

that said, loving the hell out of my Ti Night Train -- taking lots of abuse and keeps on rolling.

tldr: if your ratachet explodes; replacing ring will only continue to have failures - must get new hub and loc-tite axle.

happy riding...
    Micah
    ..sleep is good...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Any thoughts on which companies are making top after market fat bike hubs? I saw I9 and hope make a fat bike hub, any other high end options?
    2011 khs dh300
    2015 rocky mountain thunderbolt msl 770
    2017 motobecane nighttrain express

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by oobaa47 View Post
    Any thoughts on which companies are making top after market fat bike hubs? I saw I9 and hope make a fat bike hub, any other high end options?
    I thought the DT Swiss Big Ride was the go-to fatbike hub.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I thought the DT Swiss Big Ride was the go-to fatbike hub.

-F
    My lbs recommended this one to me, but I'm sure there are more expensive options out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Does replacing the hub require totally breaking down the wheel and building it back up?