Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 4215
  1. #4201
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,696
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWrestlingII View Post
    Iím looking into purchasing a Sturgis Bullet and see there are new 2015 models available for $300 less than the 2018 model. It looks like the 2018 model has upgraded rims/tires and is 1x11. For those in the know, what is your opinion on spending the extra $$$ for the newer model?

    Also, what size would you recommend for 6í with a 32Ē inseam? This bike will be used for all seasons in MN, 95% river bottoms trail riding.

    AndÖ any other bikes you would buy over the Sturgis Bullet in the same price range?

    Thanks for any replies.
    At 6' tall, you are right on a large. I'm 6'3" and I just fit on it. I would not want the XL.
    1x11 doesn't impress me. I've never had an issue with any front derailleur ever.

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  2. #4202
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    2

    Sturgis NX Stack and Reach

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbstigo View Post
    2. What's the reach of this frame. I ride a medium 17.5 inch. Mine came with a 80mm stem and seems spot on.
    I did a bit of size comparison with my Jamis XAM I mountain bike that I have been comfortably riding for many years. (Nearly Identical to the Medium Sturgis)

    I calculated the 17.5" Sturgis NX to have the following ...
    Stack = 563.4mm
    Reach = 433mm

    You can see that I am off a little because the actual top tube is 1.3mm long in my drawing. That is due to the lack of details around the standard fork length and offset. (and my impatience fixing such a small error.)

    The Reach and Stack will be effected by the Bluto which I believe is longer and more slack.

    There is also a website that actually gave me the idea to create the drawing. Stack and reach calculator I had trouble gaining confidence in the website due to the few dimensions missing from the Motobecane geometry data. This is what gave me the idea for my own sketch.

    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-sturgis-nx-stack-reach.jpg

  3. #4203
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey1970 View Post
    I did a bit of size comparison with my Jamis XAM I mountain bike that I have been comfortably riding for many years. (Nearly Identical to the Medium Sturgis)

    I calculated the 17.5" Sturgis NX to have the following ...
    Stack = 563.4mm
    Reach = 433mm

    You can see that I am off a little because the actual top tube is 1.3mm long in my drawing. That is due to the lack of details around the standard fork length and offset. (and my impatience fixing such a small error.)

    The Reach and Stack will be effected by the Bluto which I believe is longer and more slack.

    There is also a website that actually gave me the idea to create the drawing. Stack and reach calculator I had trouble gaining confidence in the website due to the few dimensions missing from the Motobecane geometry data. This is what gave me the idea for my own sketch.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sturgis NX Stack and Reach.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	1168144
    Thanks! And interesting I figured reach was smaller since my bike came with a 80mm stem but also at its highest point on the steerer tube and I have a bluto. So figure it's around 410 +80 =490mm which sounds about right for a medium.

  4. #4204
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1
    Hi. I've not ridden a rigid mountain bike since I first started 25 years ago...and I quickly upgraded to full suspension before I began riding technical stuff. Buying the night train bullet for snow pack, and jeep roads in all seasons to make that part of Colorado peakbagging more fun. Also plan to use in Fruita/Moab with wife who enjoys the tamer trails. Have been wavering between the Night Train ti super light build w/ carbon fork vs the ti 2x drive train build with Bluto. Appreciate any views.

  5. #4205
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    31
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-hqfvxmq.jpg

    Finally ditched the Vee Rubber Snowshoes that came with my bike. I didn't loose much weight (if any) as my bike still comes in at 30.25 lbs ready to ride. However, my god does it handle better now. I can actually rail corners on this thing without fighting it to stay on line. I was running my snowshoes at 7f/8r PSI on hardpack and was getting a bit of self-steer. I ran these tires at the same PSI and there wasn't a single trace of self-steer. I think I'm gonna run 6f/7r next time out.
    Last edited by thisisbenji; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:34 PM.

  6. #4206
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WhiskeyJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    186

    Finally ditched the Vee Rubber Snowshoes that came with my bike....
    Might be imgur, but I canít see your photo.

    What tires did you pick up?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #4207
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    865
    I can't see the image either. I just replaced the Snowshoes with Kenda Jauggernauts
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  8. #4208
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    31
    Whoops, idk what's up with imgur. Sometimes it works really well, sometimes it won't show the photo despite the link being just fine.

    Anyways I went with the Jumbo Jim Snakeskin 4.0s. Seemed like it would be a good all around tire for my trails.

  9. #4209
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    952
    Has anyone swapped out the POS Novatec D202-SB 197/12 thru axle hub with a DT Swiss big ride 350 and been able to reuse the same spokes (Mulefut rim)? One spoke calc has the current spokes as laced Novatec/Mulefut if reused on the DT, the NDS spokes are approx 1.8mm short, and the drive side at 1mm long, but there's always play - and these measurement are pretty close.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  10. #4210
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,696
    Can someone with a large (19") Sturgis Bullet (with 120mm Bluto at no sag) get me an accurate wheelbase measurement, please?
    Spec says 1144mm (45"). I'm still trying to sort out some steering issues.

    Thanks,
    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  11. #4211
    Flying Sasquatch
    Reputation: KTMNealio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Has anyone swapped out the POS Novatec D202-SB 197/12 thru axle hub with a DT Swiss big ride 350 and been able to reuse the same spokes (Mulefut rim)? One spoke calc has the current spokes as laced Novatec/Mulefut if reused on the DT, the NDS spokes are approx 1.8mm short, and the drive side at 1mm long, but there's always play - and these measurement are pretty close.
    I'm pretty sure the bike shop had to replace the short ones when I swapped.

  12. #4212
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    I'm pretty sure the bike shop had to replace the short ones when I swapped.
    Thank you sir. I'm going to give it a go lacing it up at home with the expectations that it won't work. It'll be good practice anyway - been a while since I've laced anything up. When/if it goes south, I'll have the lbs build it up correctly. Updates as I have them.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  13. #4213
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blaster182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    52
    looking to put a Manitou Mastodon w/ 1 1/8 steerer dia. on my Sturgis, just wondering if anyone knows the size of the race that needs to be pressed on to the steerer tube of the new fork to accept the lower headset bearing?
    Gotta Ride Fat !!!

  14. #4214
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    161
    Found an annoying 'feature' of the Sturgis/Night Train AL frame. I bought a Topeak Uni Super Tourist Fat rack for my Sturgis. Aside from the rack mount threads being painted and making it a pain to get screws started....

    The non-drive side lower rack mount is about 10mm inboard of center compared to the drive side. Dumb move from Kinesis. On a rack like the Topeak - or most other racks for that matter - where there is no means of lateral adjustment, your rack winds up off center over the rear tire and cannot be manipulated to correct it. Still works but is annoying if you are anal-retentive like me. I'll be sourcing a 10mm/.375 spacer and longer screws to get this thing centered on the bike. Trying to flip adjuster legs and what have you doesn't work.

    Just an FYI for those trying to rack these things....

  15. #4215
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Can someone with a large (19") Sturgis Bullet (with 120mm Bluto at no sag) get me an accurate wheelbase measurement, please?
    Spec says 1144mm (45"). I'm still trying to sort out some steering issues.

    Thanks,
    -F
    I measured 1180mm. The best I can tell, the 1144mm figure is with a rigid fork that would measure around 470mm a-c. It was a year ago, but I recall measuring a HTA of 66.5 degrees with the 120 Bluto, using an angle finder that's been accurate across all my other bikes. Bikes Direct has some bad geometry charts.

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243

Similar Threads

  1. Motobecane Boris Thread
    By sml-2727 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2014, 08:29 PM
  2. Sturgis anywhere near there to Fatbike?
    By hummbusa in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 08:28 AM
  3. Motobecane 300 HT Drive train upgrades ?
    By manmythlegend in forum Motobecane
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 11:10 AM
  4. Acid Wash Eastern Night Train
    By JayMac in forum Urban/DJ/Park
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-18-2011, 04:27 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 11:17 AM

Members who have read this thread: 202

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •