Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I just want to see my bike that's all I care about ,at least some tracking movement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Onestep4me View Post
    That's what I'm doing.

Last week I rode with 3 other fat bikes. They had Missions (3.8), Snowshoes (4.5?), and Bud / Lou (4.8). There was not much size dif between the Missions and Snowshoes. Bud & Lou seemed HUGE in comparison, both overall size and tread height.
    I have a snowshoe 4.5 and it is the exact same size as an H-Billei 4.25, it is bigger than the 3.8 Panracer Fat B Nible I have. The Snowshoe XL 5.0 on the Sturgis is bigger than all of them - I don't have a Bud/Lou to compare. The tread is fairly substantial - Not wanting to drop another $300 on tires I am going to try them in the snow this winter and replace only if I need to.

mtbr member
    BD doesn't list the snowshoe XL as being spec'd on any of their bikes anymore - all Snowshoe 4.5's in different TPI and compounds, but no XL's. Did you get Snowshoe XL's on your sturgis?

siv
    mtbr member
    Any one figure out why there's spacer caps for the front hub yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by siv View Post
    Any one figure out why there's spacer caps for the front hub yet?
    I think it is because the hub spacing must not be 150mm and the bluto fork is 150mm spacing.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    Motobecane Sturgis Bullet (Arrived 11/6/14)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Got my 19" Sturgis Bullet

I wasted no time assembling my Sturgis Bullet when I got home last night. Everything in the box was in perfect condition and assembled fine. I did not use the included seat and seat post. Instead I used an Easton EA70 post and Specialized Henge Comp seat I had that weight a combined 240 grams.

I went out and got some dirt on the tires riding around my place and everything functions well. I like it!

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-20141106_204728.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-20141106_204919.jpg

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_fun View Post
    I wasted no time assembling my Sturgis Bullet when I got home last night. Everything in the box was in perfect condition and assembled fine. I did not use the included seat and seat post. Instead I used an Easton EA70 post and Specialized Henge Comp seat I had that weight a combined 240 grams.

I went out and got some dirt on the tires riding around my place and everything functions well. I like it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141106_204728.jpg 
Views:	1599 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	937274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141106_204919.jpg 
Views:	1545 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	937275
    Did you need to use the hub spacers up front?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Seriously, are we getting 135mm front hubs? I thought a 150mm front hub was part of the sell for this bike...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    BD doesn't list the snowshoe XL as being spec'd on any of their bikes anymore - all Snowshoe 4.5's in different TPI and compounds, but no XL's. Did you get Snowshoe XL's on your sturgis?
    I don't recall but they do say 5.0 on them (vs. my other snowshoe that is 4.5) - I put them next to the H-Billie last night when I had them off to do the rim strips and they are a bit wider. I did not think to grab a tape measure and see the actual difference.

The H-Billie and Snowshoe are exactly the same width and look to be made on the same carcass. These Snowshoes are certainly wider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    Seriously, are we getting 135mm front hubs? I thought a 150mm front hub was part of the sell for this bike...
    Who makes a 150 front hub that doesn't use spacers/end caps? Almost all of the current hubs are 135mm hubs with spacers/end caps to make them fit the 150 Bluto.

mtbr member

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

Seems like a benefit of having the 135mm spaced hubs is that there are a few more options out there right now for rigid forks with 135mm spacing.

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    Who makes a 150 front hub that doesn't use spacers/end caps? Almost all of the current hubs are 135mm hubs with spacers/end caps to make them fit the 150 Bluto.
    I don't have the Bluto model. And usually spacer/end caps are pressed into the hub not pressed on the outside diameter like these. I only care because I haul my bike inside my CRV, gotta take the wheel off every time, don't wanna lose the spacers.

horseman
    Sep 2005
    or existing 29er summer/narrower options?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Um, Novatec does, right? And I would rather have the benefit of the wider hub and flange-to-flange distance. Using a 135mm hub with spacers to fit a 150mm spacing seems lame.

ISSUU - Novatec hubs guide 2014 by Novatec
    I thought we were getting the D201SB and D202SB (page 14).

BikesDirect page says: "NOVATEC FRONT DISC HUB 32H, 15mmx150mm Thru-Axle." That's not the same as a 135mm hub with spacers. Would have been just as easy to say that. Edit: ugh, unless the 150mm is referring only to the thru-axle. Lame if so. Kind of deceptive to call it a 150mm front spacing fork/axle if the benefits aren't there.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    to those weight weenies. ill chime in. According to UPS my box weighs 30 lbs. Its a medium Night Train. This UPS Guys needs to come ASAP.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Did you need to use the hub spacers up front?
    Yes, I did. The hub would be way to narrow and pinch the forks together without them.

siv
    mtbr member
    Looks like the hubs are 135 then. Email sent, see what he says.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    to those weight weenies. ill chime in. According to UPS my box weighs 30 lbs. Its a medium Night Train. This UPS Guys needs to come ASAP.
    This means nothing at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I don't recall but they do say 5.0 on them (vs. my other snowshoe that is 4.5) - I put them next to the H-Billie last night when I had them off to do the rim strips and they are a bit wider. I did not think to grab a tape measure and see the actual difference.

The H-Billie and Snowshoe are exactly the same width and look to be made on the same carcass. These Snowshoes are certainly wider.
    "5.0" would be wrong as well. The Snowshoe XL's are marketed as a 4.8" tire. The only tire "marketed" as a 5" tire that I know of right now is the Dillinger5. And even they are pretty candid that it is a 4.8" tire. I've seen a D5 in person, and I don't think it "looked" even 4.8", but I had no calipers on hand to measure. Just gut feel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

If they include spacers, the hub is 135

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    If they include spacers, the hub is 135

Pedaling
    Can someone take a picture of these "spacers"? In the detailed pictures of the Lurch, which should be using the same hubs, they are true 150mm hubs, but it is the "end caps" that change between QR and 15TA. I wonder if people here are just confusing an end cap with a spacer. I highly doubt they would use a different wheelset between the lurch and the Sturgis/Night Train.

In the picture below, this isn't a "spacer". This is considered an "end cap", making it a 150mm hub with a 15mm TA endcap. And thre has not been one complaint on the Lurch forum about the bikes coming with 135mm hubs with extender spacers to make it fit a 150mm fork.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_8239.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    Can someone take a picture of these "spacers"? In the detailed pictures of the Lurch, which should be using the same hubs, they are true 150mm hubs, but it is the "end caps" that change between QR and 15TA. I wonder if people here are just confusing an end cap with a spacer. I highly doubt they would use a different wheelset between the lurch and the Sturgis/Night Train.

In the picture below, this isn't a "spacer". This is considered an "end cap", making it a 150mm hub with a 15mm TA endcap. And thre has not been one complaint on the Lurch forum about the bikes coming with 135mm hubs with extender spacers to make it fit a 150mm fork.

Name:	IMG_8239.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	937301
    This sounds right and I hope it is true.

My NTB is a couple miles away. It's arrived at the local sort facility. I tried calling and arranging for pickup, but they said they aren't going to unload the truck or something until Monday so I can't do anything but it let it sit there all weekend. So painful!

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildskycomet View Post
    or existing 29er summer/narrower options?

Name:	IMG_8239.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	937301
    That's not what we got. What you're showing is like a sleeve that inserts into the hub. What we're getting is similar but it fits on the outside diameter of the hub not inserted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    There should be plenty of traction in cold hard snow with these tires. I don't know if any tire will work well in wet soft snow. My 19" NT has made it to S Wisconsin, almost here, "I can hear the train a comming, rolling down the track"-Johnny Cash.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    med 17.5 nighttrain today.
    started at 33lbs.. down to 30lb 3oz w/o pedals
    new seat charge spoon (-105)
    new tubes Q superlight 2.4-2.75 245g each / stock 600g each (-705g)
    new grips -wcs foam (-40g)
    removed plastic crap/ reflectors (-110g)
    ditched front shifer and front derai added RF NarWid 30t (-325g)

Last edited by 13eard; 11-07-2014 at 04:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That's not what we got. What you're showing is like a sleeve that inserts into the hub. What we're getting is similar but it fits on the outside diameter of the hub not inserted.
    Picture please!

I assume the 15TA end cap will not "insert" into the hub, as the hub's axle itself is designed for a 15TA. The reason the 9mmQR inserts is that the QR skewer itself is only 5mm in diameter, so they can afford to insert it into the hub's axle for more stability.

I would expect the 15TA end cap to be like a sleeve that sits over top of the bearing that we see in this picture. Below, picture is not for NOvatech, but you'll see that on the left this is what I would expect a 15TA end cap to look like, IF the QR were to look like the one on the right.

In the end, it's only 7.5mm on either side of the hub. If our hubs are 135 and 150 compatible, all the better.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-borealis_hubset_end_caps.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 13eard View Post
    started at 33lbs.. down to 31lb 14oz w/o pedals

Get rid of those stock rim strips - they weigh 160g....each. Simple duct tape strip is much. much lighter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Very nice!

And if anyone is interested - do not try to use the normal Q-Tubes. They do not work for a fat bike, only the superlights- my LBS did not have the SL in stock so I grabbed a normal 26x2.4 tube (only one BC I was not sure it would work). It does not inflate uniformly as it has ribs of additional material every once in a while. The tube was so fat in places the tire would not sit in the bead while other places the tube was still "normal" diameter. I ordered a couple SL tubes so will be riding on the Vee heavy tubes this weekend. :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

13eard, can you tell me your height an inseam? Wondering on the fit of the 17.5" frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    going 1x now.. pulling stuff off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    How solid do these frames seem? I'm 260 lbs (and 7 ft, but I've made 21 inch bikes work before with riser bars and long seatpost) and am interested but a bit afraid of destroying the frame....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am probably pushing 260 with all my gear - 240 without shoes. :-) I ride with a camelback stuffed with tools N spares for both me and my 9 year old son.

I have zero fears of destroying this frame, I thrash a Moto 29er hardtail - broken nothing on the bike that wasn't 100% my fault in about 1500 miles. :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    updated

1x - ditched front shifter and front derai added RF NarWid 30t (-325g)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    im 510.5 in socks.. 6ft in shoes.. wear 32in seam pants.

frame geo matches my moto titanium fly.
    im kind of inbetween sizes.. m-L.
    I usually go with the smaller bike.
    both bikes have a fairly long top tube.. I don't feel cramped.
    fat and 29 are gonna have longer chain stays.. if I was on a 26.. id want a L

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hartzpad View Post
    13eard, can you tell me your height an inseam? Wondering on the fit of the 17.5" frame?
    More pictures please so those of us still waiting can share in the fun!....and dream of what is soon to be!
    Fat Bike for a Fat Bloke

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Got my baby in. Went for a spin outside. man its awesome.

I made the 1*10 conversion with wolf tooth and 16t. Very fun bike. Gotta mess with pressures. I'm at 10 and it felt bouncy and tramlined on the pavement. I cant wait for the trails! Pics below.

Edit:

17.5" Night train
    1x10
    Wolf Tooth
    ESI Chunky
    Specialized wide flat bar
    Tubes

34.2 lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_20141107_155433.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_20141107_155720.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_20141107_160214.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_20141107_184052.jpg  

mtbr member
    Brilliant! Thanks. This is great therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    Got my baby in. Went for a spin outside. man its awesome.

I made the 1*10 conversion with wolf tooth and 16t. Very fun bike. Gotta mess with pressures. I'm at 10 and it felt bouncy and tramlined on the pavement. I cant wait for the trails! Pics below.

Edit:

17.5" Night train
    1x10
    Wolf Tooth
    ESI Chunky
    Specialized wide flat bar
    Tubes

34.2 lbs
    Fat Bike for a Fat Bloke

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    updated

1x - ditched front shifter and front derai added RF NarWid 30t (-325g)

What did you use to weight this? Tonggi below has about the same modifications as you except for the seat, and he gets 34.2lbs (assuming "tubes" means "light tubes"). You get 30.2 lbs. Even if his tubes were a tad heavier around 350g each, that's only 1/2 lb heavier than you.

I'm just living vicariously through you guys as mine is still "stuck in customs" with no update from BD at all.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I re weighed it. I put myself in first. Then I weighed with bikeCame out to 35.4 pounds. That is with the pedals. the 34 was WITHOUT pedals.When I say tubes. I mean the tubes that came with the bike. The stock ones. So maybe if I go tubeless it will be 1-2 lbs less? Also maybe add half a lb because I gorilla taped one wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    all my gram weights are done with a mail scale.. the bike was being weighed with a dial fish scale lol.. ive compared the fish scale to other scales and its usually on.
    also once I added up and minused the stuff I took off. the fish scale showed the correct lower weight.. so maybe the start is off.. but I def lost 2.8lbs+

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    im 510.5 in socks.. 6ft in shoes.. wear 32in seam pants.

frame geo matches my moto titanium fly.
    im kind of inbetween sizes.. m-L.
    I usually go with the smaller bike.
    both bikes have a fairly long top tube.. I don't feel cramped.
    fat and 29 are gonna have longer chain stays.. if I was on a 26.. id want a L

Thank you for the input. I'm 5'11" and 33" inseam and I ordered. 17.5", tried to change it to a 19" Large and there are none. I don't want to regret a bike that is too small. I ride a Stumpjumper FSR 29er in Size Large right now, it is big not not too big for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks! I ask because I have broken 8 frames since 2005...almost all at the top tube seat tube junction or just in front, and all on non reinforced or non gusseted designs...

I am probably pushing 260 with all my gear - 240 without shoes. :-) I ride with a camelback stuffed with tools N spares for both me and my 9 year old son.

I have zero fears of destroying this frame, I thrash a Moto 29er hardtail - broken nothing on the bike that wasn't 100% my fault in about 1500 miles. :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have broken two frames myself - one a GT Karakoram that was used and abused, the other was a Trek 9800 carbon bike that cost me $2500 or so back in 1994 or so. Broke it on the first ride and Trek replaced it with a brand new Y frame - they said I would just break another carbon bike. :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    as stated before.. motobecane are kinesis frames.. the titanium ones are by ORA..

kinesis makes a ton of companies frames..
    from wiki
    Brands also manufactured by Kinesis include Diamondback Bicycles, Felt Bicycles, GT Bicycles, Schwinn, Jamis, K2, Raleigh, Trek, Kross and Kona — as well as the brands marketed by the U.S. company Bikesdirect.com: Motobecane USA, Dawes USA, Cycles Mercier, Windsor America.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broohaha View Post
    Mr. UPS delivered as promised. Needless to say, I was kinda stoked...

Figured some people might want additional pics (even if I only have the black, non-bluto...) A couple rubs on the paint from shipping, but everything came clean with a little clear coat safe compound.

Also, did the same weighing technique as with luggage. (Typical scale, by yourself, then with luggage/bike in hand.) Came in at 34 lbs even. It's a digital scale, but... I'd still take it with a grain of salt. Definitely heavier than I had hoped for a Medium/17.5.
    - Regarding weight, here are the component tweaks I made:
    1. Old Thompson Elite seat post I had around
    2. Different WTB seat (guessing it's a couple grams lighter)
    3. DMR Flat Pedals (400g for the pair)
    4. ODI grips
    5. Hope seat post clamp

So... probably not too much different than what others will weigh.

Rides great. Minor tweaks on front caliber positioning. Shifting very clean. Definitely have to check the tire pressure though. They're like rocks.

Tip: I was an idiot and promptly ignored the spacers that are literally tied to the front wheel. Put them on your hub before installing. (Keep the front caliper bolts loose before putting the front wheel on. Get the front wheel on, apply front brake pressure to set positioning, then tighten. I'm not an expert, so I guess people will correct my approach as necessary. But it worked like a charm for me. No tweaking of discs needed.)

Looking forward to my first proper ride tomorrow.

Hope everyone's bikes arrives in the same shape as mine.

Yes, it looks bad, but it cleaned up with 10 seconds of clear coat safe compound.
    Attachment 937168
    All done and ready to ride...
    Attachment 937169
    Is it just me or do the rim holes look larger on the rear rim than the front?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Do I have to take apart and grease the hubs? I've never done that.
    Somehow with all the anticipation, my mind went blank when it arrived last night at 7pm. I didn't even know what to do with it. So I got up early and put it together. I only greased one side of the bottom bracket because I couldn't get the drive side to come out. This is an awesome looking bike. The pictures stink.
    Hmmm I wonder what's in that little box?

Do people cut down the seatpost? Mine is hitting the bottle hanger bolts.

Here's Sturgis Bullet 17.5 in White. Better pictures later in the day.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-sturgisbullet1.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-sturgisbullet2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ugh, does that mean the bottom bracket ISN'T greased? How is BikesDirect still making the same mistakes?

And not to insult your bike knowledge or anything, but just making sure you know about the reverse threading...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have little knowledge to insult, I'm really a newbie when it comes to bikes. Most of my riding was over 30 years ago and we didn't have to do anything with our bikes back then except ride them. I went to grease it because I thought that was what I was supposed to do, unless it isn't important on external BBs. Easier to grease it than research it. So away I went. I didn't want to force it though to get the drive side out. Don't want to do more damage than good.
    I do know about the left threads on the BB and the pedals. Just like the lug nuts on my old Barracuda.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Here's mine with a touch of gold.

Bike shipped with rear derailleur hitting the spokes and front derailleur way off. Bummer.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-20141108_010647.jpg
    2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman
    2014 Motobecane Night Train Bullet

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No one has posted and red color Sturgis Bullets, has anyone received one yet? That is what I am waiting for.

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pearsth View Post

Bike shipped with rear derailleur hitting the spokes and front derailleur way off. Bummer.

Name:	20141108_010647.jpg 
Views:	624 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	937474
    Gold accents are baller! What'd ya use for rim strips, process?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Looks awesome. Finally a matte black with Bluto, and he's made it look too cool to know what mine will look like.

Quote Originally Posted by ETChipotle View Post
    I have little knowledge to insult, I'm really a newbie when it comes to bikes. Most of my riding was over 30 years ago and we didn't have to do anything with our bikes back then except ride them. I went to grease it because I thought that was what I was supposed to do, unless it isn't important on external BBs. Easier to grease it than research it. So away I went. I didn't want to force it though to get the drive side out. Don't want to do more damage than good.
    I do know about the left threads on the BB and the pedals. Just like the lug nuts on my old Barracuda.
    So... were the threads dry? I think a lot of us are dying to know. I only have a GXP bottom bracket wrench, I think... and I've never pulled cranks with that style before. I just don't want to get into a frustrating ordeal (like it always becomes) for no reason.

mtbr member
    no update on shipping label on my 17.5 nighttrain bluto. Still stuck in customs and not even an update. This sucks...
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Gold accents are baller! What'd ya use for rim strips, process?
    One wrap of Gold Duck Tape.

http://www.amazon.com/Duck-280748-Me...gold+duck+tape

Then, two wraps of 3M Transparent tape.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Transparent...otch+duct+tape
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman

mtbr member

Do these not have external cup bottom brackets?

Also...... Anyone get shots of the front end caps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    That looks really cool. Looks like you were up late putting it together. My NT Bullet arrives Monday. More pics when finished please!

Fat Bike for a Fat Bloke

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Q

Looks awesome. Finally a matte black with Bluto, and he's made it look too cool to know what mine will look like.

So... were the threads dry? I think a lot of us are dying to know. I only have a GXP bottom bracket wrench, I think... and I've never pulled cranks with that style before. I just don't want to get into a frustrating ordeal (like it always becomes) for no reason.
    Okay when you put it that way, the threads looked dry to me. There were some flakes that looked like dried up threadlock or something. I greased up the non-drive side threads. I'm using a park BBT-9, and that fits right.

Also, below I've attached pictures of the front spacers, leaning up against the QR Tube (QR lever to the right).

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-qr-tube-spacers.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-frontspacer1.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-frontspacer2.png

mtbr member
    It sounds like the NT Bullet needs a thorough going over. I'm checking my tools box. I've got a Park BBT-9. Any other specific tools you had to use?

Okay when you put it that way, the threads looked dry to me. There were some flakes that looked like dried up threadlock or something. I greased up the non-drive side threads. I'm using a park BBT-9, and that fits right.

Also, below I've attached pictures of the front spacers, leaning up against the QR Tube (QR lever to the right).

Name:	QR Tube with Spacers.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	937477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontSpacer1.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	937478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontSpacer2.png 
Views:	227 
Size:	374.5 KB 
ID:	937479
    Fat Bike for a Fat Bloke

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    One last picture of the spacersMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-spacers3.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by trailwerks View Post
    Do these not have external cup bottom brackets?
    Here's what it has:
    Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-extbb.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    That's the tool I have, I guess I'll grease bottom bracket and headset. Probably no chance of riding this thing the day it's delivered...

Spacers look like they are adapting a 135mm hub to the 150mm spacing. That's so stupid. Big letdown.

mtbr member

Did one roll of the colored duct tape do it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member

Name:	QR Tube with Spacers.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	937477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontSpacer1.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	937478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontSpacer2.png 
Views:	227 
Size:	374.5 KB 
ID:	937479
    Thanks for the photos. So, you have the aluminum for not the bluto? This may be specific to this fork?

siv
    mtbr member
    Apparently spacers come with Bluto and non-Bluto bikes. Why didn't they just make the rigid fork 135, they're non selling them aftermarket? Saw a Trek Farley today, kinda wish I went with a bike that was 135/170, cleaner, no spacers everywhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That's the tool I have, I guess I'll grease bottom bracket and headset. Probably no chance of riding this thing the day it's delivered...

Spacers look like they are adapting a 135mm hub to the 150mm spacing. That's so stupid. Big letdown.
    You bought a cheap bike...and it's a let down that there are some cheap parts on it?
    Now that's stupid

mtbr member

Re: Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

That 150mm hub was specifically listed in the specs, and has been on cheaper models from BD. It's a bait and switch, and some disappointment is warranted.

That said, it's not a critical difference, and it doesn't make sense to spec a 135 fork. That would turn away people who want the option to upgrade later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trailwerks View Post
    Did one roll of the colored duct tape do it?

Yes and there is some left over. Not sure how much as I don't want to unroll it to see.
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So, for those tracking weights -

Nigh Train Bullet 17.5 - 32 lbs 9 oz including platform style pedals with clips (nothing fancy). Weighed with a Park Bike scale, not bathroom scale shenanigans.

What I changed so far:

Replaced rim strips with duct tape (one wrap of color, then two wraps of clear)
    Q-Tube SL 2.4 - 2.7
    I put on some gold bling, but nothing titanium, so let's call that a wash.

I think there is easily another 2-3 pounds to be saved - seat, seatpost, bars, stem, and lightweight pedals. Especially if you go carbon on the cockpit. After that, not sure what else to go after that wouldn't be a significant change.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-bike.jpg
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    One last picture of the spacersClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Spacers3.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	937482
    Without measuring, these could either be proper "end caps" that cover the bearing/axle, or they could be "spacers" to make a 135mm hub 150mm. Given that there are o-rings and lips on the inside of these "cups", I would say they are actually 150mm x 15 end caps/cups and NOT 7.5mm spacers. I would guess that the hub's axle rests on the I.D. of that and sits flush with the end cap. If that's the case, this is a proper 150mm hub.

As we see from the Lurch close-up shots, the bearing is exposed when the end caps are removed and there is a recess between hub shell and axle. So this would make me think that's where the O.D. of these end-caps shown would sit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone going to try tubeless? Also, Pearsth, I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but when you put the gold duct tape around it, doesn't the sticky side face the open air. Is there any concern for stuff getting stuck to it while biking?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So, for those tracking weights -

Nigh Train Bullet 17.5 - 32 lbs 9 oz including platform style pedals with clips (nothing fancy). Weighed with a Park Bike scale, not bathroom scale shenanigans.

What I changed so far:

Replaced rim strips with duct tape (one wrap of color, then two wraps of clear)
    Q-Tube SL 2.4 - 2.7
    I put on some gold bling, but nothing titanium, so let's call that a wash.

I think there is easily another 2-3 pounds to be saved - seat, seatpost, bars, stem, and lightweight pedals. Especially if you go carbon on the cockpit. After that, not sure what else to go after that wouldn't be a significant change.

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	2131 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	937611
    So 32lbs 9oz with pedals, but with Qtube SL and rim-strip mod. The Q-Tube SL's are worth 700g as per below, and rim strip mod...let's call it another 50G per wheel, so 800g total. Assuming 1 lb pedals. So we're talking about 33lb 6oz. stock/out-of-the-box, without pedals. That's very light.

As you noted, carbon cockpit, lighter seat, lighter cassette (XT is worth about 4-5oz), 1x (worth about 12-14oz), Crankset (Turbine Cinch worth about 5-7 oz. Next SL worth about 8-12 oz.). There's still 2-3 lbs without going too crazy.

mtbr member
    Still no email or tracking action for me. I called the number and their was politely zero information as to when they may be released..but...

While all you 'lucky' ones play with your toys and bore of them while nick-picking and considering what tire/crank/handlebar/etc will make it better I am still basking in that Christmas-eve anticipation of my sweet KTM orange Sturgis with Samox 2x cranks, semi-knobby tires, and a possible 135mm spaced front hub.

Hopefully others are also enjoying the painful wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Whenever someone gets their hands on a small, I'd love to see a good toe overlap picture.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Without measuring, these could either be proper "end caps" that cover the bearing/axle, or they could be "spacers" to make a 135mm hub 150mm. Given that there are o-rings and lips on the inside of these "cups", I would say they are actually 150mm x 15 end caps/cups and NOT 7.5mm spacers. I would guess that the hub's axle rests on the I.D. of that and sits flush with the end cap. If that's the case, this is a proper 150mm hub.

As we see from the Lurch close-up shots, the bearing is exposed when the end caps are removed and there is a recess between hub shell and axle. So this would make me think that's where the O.D. of these end-caps shown would sit.
    I believe those are only end caps and not 7.5mm spacer conversions. I have ones very similar for my hope hoops pro 2 evo front hub on my hard tail 29er that convert the hub from quick release to 20mm thru axle. With those, I popped out the qr end caps and popped on the end caps and was able to use to 20mm thru axle of my fork.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Anyone know if these are compatible with an angleset?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by silvbullit View Post
    Still no email or tracking action for me. I called the number and their was politely zero information as to when they may be released..but...

Hopefully others are also enjoying the painful wait.
    I am in the same boat...or packing container as the case may be...with you . No info and tracking tag still voided.

Here's to hoping that there is some news next week about the remaining bikes needing to be shipped. Not holding my breath .

The way this wait is going for me, the Framed Alaskan Carbon frame I ordered will be ready before my NTB ships

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    I am in the same boat...or packing container as the case may be...with you . No info and tracking tag still voided.

Here's to hoping that there is some news next week about the remaining bikes needing to be shipped. Not holding my breath .

The way this wait is going for me, the Framed Alaskan Carbon frame I ordered will be ready before my NTB ships
    I'm in the same boat. With this new "customs" delay, these bikes will end up being a full month (or more) late from their original date.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat. With this new "customs" delay, these bikes will end up being a full month (or more) late from their original date.
    Yep. There's nothing they PROBABLY could do about it but I am wishing BD would offer some sort of consolation/peace offering (too redundant? ) for those of us waiting so long.

First was the "we might not have enough parts" delay now the "our containers got stuck in customs" delay.

I pre-ordered way back in July. They've had my money almost 4 months and still no bike. I know they are good for it as the bikes are shipping but it is b pretty unreasonable for a company to expect a customer to wait 4 months for delivery for a product.

Rant off/

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yep. There's nothing they PROBABLY could do about it but I am wishing BD would offer some sort of consolation/peace offering (too redundant? ) for those of us waiting so long.

First was the "we might not have enough parts" delay now the "our containers got stuck in customs" delay.

I pre-ordered way back in July. They've had my money almost 4 months and still no bike. I know they are good for it as the bikes are shipping but it is b pretty unreasonable for a company to expect a customer to wait 4 months for delivery for a product.

Rant off/
    I really don't think there's this "custom's" delay. I'm beginning to think it's just an excuse. Honestly, how many containers of these bikes did they get? Just two? And one got stuck in customs with some "new 29" wheels that fit these frames"? We should be seeing/hearing about a LOT more people with their bikes if only one container was held up.

Also, they keep on claiming that they have told their freight forwarder that these containers are a hot-rush. Well...I've done a little bit of logistics in the past and while a rush can be put on, there's usually a cost associated with rushing. I'm starting to think that the bikes were later than they thought, both leaving the factory, at sea, through the port and railheads. So they only "paid" for the rush on one container, just to meet their November 10th deadline, and then the rest are coming their merry/delayed way, and all-the-while, they are just blaming the rest on customs delays which none of us have any evidence to be able to refute. Think about it..if virtually every single bike on that container is pre-sold, and I have 100% of the customer's money...I don't have any more to sell, I don't have risk of missing the season, and competitors aren't going to steal my customers away...then why would I PAY to have those containers rushed at my own expense?

It's one thing to ask your forward to rush the container out of the goodness of their heart. It's likely another thing to actually do something about getting them rushed by paying the fee likely associated with a rush at this time of year.

And...as long as I have absolutely no more communication and sit living vicariously over those who received theirs...I'll keep dreaming up these scenarios...

mtbr member
    Maybe we need to start a "Bikes Direct X-Files" Thread...for all the conspiracy theories we can dream up between now and the time our bikes are delivered.

neons97 is off to a great start. With the little that the phone ladies know about the orders (telling me mine was shipping "today" and so sure about it) to how everyone is so "on script" with the exact same wording as the email to all of us...something is not smelling right about this delay

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum1 View Post
    Anyone going to try tubeless? Also, Pearsth, I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but when you put the gold duct tape around it, doesn't the sticky side face the open air. Is there any concern for stuff getting stuck to it while biking?
    Do some searches for Tubeless and you will see how to do the rim tape. Basically, you apply the tape "sticky side up" so the colored side shows through the holes. then, you go over the sticky tape with more layers of tape - sticky side to sticky side. That is why I bought the clear tape. Seemed to be the lightest tape from what I read and just as strong as regular duck tape. That went down in two strips and stuck 1/2 to the gold tape (again, sticky side) and half to the rim for each strip.
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Looking good! Glad that tire worked out for you!

:-) Did a nice 10 mile ride today on my Sturgis Bullet (and my son rode his new Salsa Horsethief for the first time as well).
    Bike tore up the single track - had a lot of fun, better on the leaf covered slick hard pack than my 29er has been on the last couple rides. Messed with tire pressures a bit and liked the ride out of the pressures I tried with about 15 up front and rear at 10 - 135PSI in the Bluto. Bluto feels a bit squishy still - my new bottomless tokens will be here next week.
    https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...81&oe=54DBE7CE" width="549"> https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...dbcfe133aaec91" width="549"> https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...be&oe=54DCADB3" width="549"> [IMG}https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...e7&oe=54D397FE[/IMG]

mtbr member
    There is some competition. I have an On One 456 EVO that is a blast and the build quality is great. I was damn close to getting the On One fatty instead of this but I fell victim to the parts spec of the moto. Typical. If the customs wait gets real dodgey than I will cough up the extra mula and gladly get the On One.

I am with neons... Customs is just not going to hold containers for long at all during this time of year especially. Maybe a day or two. A typical container is the size of a railroad car which is similar in size to an 18-wheeler trailer. Many many moons ago I worked for UPS unloading boxes at 4 am and it took me much less than an hour to unload a semi by myself containing nothing but boxes. A bunch of bike boxes is simple. They are just going to MAYBE crack a couple open to make sure some kids don't pop out and then check the packing sheet. Done.

There are only so many ports that these would come in and I would like to do some digging to follow the trail that these take.

Either way, there is no real reason for me to complain until November 12 comes and goes as that is the last day that BD expressed that they may be shipped.

We will see.

As soon as I get mine I am stripping it to the frame to weigh and then build back up the right way to put all this weight stuff to bed. The frame probably weighs 5.5 pounds and the rest is moot. The parts are what they are and the frame is decent enough to upgrade and keep for years. I am the most stoked on the progressive geometry more than anything. I am hoping that this slays the downhills for a fatty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_20141108_075122_250%5B1%5D.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_20141108_080752_951%5B1%5D.jpg  

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-img_20141108_075154_377%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by urmb; 11-09-2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: wrong thread

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I really feel for those that are waiting on their delivery and hope the wait is not much longer.
    I work with customs and can tell you by first hand experience that extended delays are not common but do happen. When I say extended I mean 2 to 3 weeks. The typical hold is a day or two.
    They can hold it for inspection of goods by a simple paper trail check...
    They can send the container for on site X-ray which can take several hours to as much as a day or more depending on their volume at the time.
    They can send the container to an off site inspection facility were they will unload the entire thing sometimes by hand looking for God knows what, but the delay isn't usually that lengthy...maybe a day could be more.
    The containers we normally use are 40 ft boxes but I have to assume that the bikes are not palletized so unloading and reloading one by hand takes a while but again a days time maybe more. By the way is were some damage is often made to the shipment.(Not allways UPS's fault)
    Every inbound shipment has to have pre-authorization submitted to customs before it arrives which means a heads up that its coming and what it is carrying...24 hours typically. We have had to wait days for approval of submitted paperwork for entry. When a container is not properly processed from day one of its journey to its arrival at the border or port all hell breaks loose and a long hold can incure. We have had shipments held for a day waiting on a guard to simply open a gate to let them threw...Im not kidding.
    So if you add up all thats involved getting your bike to your door, and the delays that happen.. a day here...another day there.. you can see it simply is a delay no more no less.
    Im not defending BD or trying to disprove conspiracy theories just getting in on the conversation hoping those still waiting get their bikes and get out riding!
    On a different note my 17.5 Night-Train non Bluto going 1x10, Standard Q-tubes not Super-Lite which by the way work fine for me, different seat comes in at 33.4 pounds.
    Last edited by skywardx; 11-09-2014 at 07:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Also factor in that this is the busiest time of year for imports. If you've been following the news, the California ports are experiencing delays of several weeks and shipments are being diverted to the east coast. One mistake on the paperwork and these containers can sit for weeks. I feel they've been pretty open with the info. If you look around at some of the other fatbikes coming in at this time like Framed/Surly/Salsa, they've all been hit with repeated delays. This is what happens when you use contract manufacturing half a world away for something where demand is greater than supply.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    Thats a good lookin fatty...but of course the view beyond is what it's all about. glad I ordered the black NTB. Hope customs lets go soon......

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Went for a first ride. I think I had too low of a pressure. I flatted. Definitely need a 30t up front. Need to go tubeless asap.

Not a fan of the long stem as well. Otherwise brakes were great and bike was awesome. Gotta fix tire pressure and work on cadence to bounce less

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by silvbullit View Post
    Customs is just not going to hold containers for long at all during this time of year especially. Maybe a day or two. Many many moons ago I worked for UPS unloading boxes at 4 am and it took me much less than an hour to unload a semi by myself containing nothing but boxes. A bunch of bike boxes is simple. As soon as I get mine I am stripping it to the frame to weigh and then build back up the right way to put all this weight stuff to bed. The frame probably weighs 5.5 pounds and the rest is moot. The parts are what they are and the frame is decent enough to upgrade and keep for years. I am the most stoked on the progressive geometry more than anything. I am hoping that this slays the downhills for a fatty.
    I gotta go with this^^
    I also worked at UPS in little Dover, NH and the preload a.m. shift of about 20 handlers would routinely empty 6-10 semi loads in about 5 hours! I mean how many train cars does Customs need to inspect over a 7 day period to HOLD THIS UP??
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    I gotta go with this^^
    I also worked at UPS in little Dover, NH and the preload a.m. shift of about 20 handlers would routinely empty 6-10 semi loads in about 5 hours! I mean how many train cars does Customs need to inspect over a 7 day period to HOLD THIS UP??
    Where I work we routinely unload 5-10 containers and Dry Vans(53 and 48 foot regular semi trailors) an hour and I can tell you there is no comparing regular distribution handling to customs methodology when it comes to handling of goods for inspection. You are on their timeline and thats it.
    We have had containers held for weeks with no apparent justification for the delay. It sucks but that is just the way things are at are borders and ports these days.

Live Free & Ride
    Oh I hear ya... I just need to vent my frustration. Nobody in Customs cares that impatient riders are waiting for their bikes to arrive. Just part of the pain of waiting so long and having it SO close to arrive...sucks is right!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Oh I hear ya... I just need to vent my frustration. Nobody in Customs cares that impatient riders are waiting for their bikes to arrive. Just part of the pain of waiting so long and having it SO close to arrive...sucks is right!
    Absolutely agree with you...Im sitting here with my bike 5 feet from me while I type. Easy for me to say just be patient

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Also factor in that this is the busiest time of year for imports. If you've been following the news, the California ports are experiencing delays of several weeks and shipments are being diverted to the east coast. One mistake on the paperwork and these containers can sit for weeks. I feel they've been pretty open with the info. If you look around at some of the other fatbikes coming in at this time like Framed/Surly/Salsa, they've all been hit with repeated delays. This is what happens when you use contract manufacturing half a world away for something where demand is greater than supply.
    I agree. For the record, I don't believe there are any shenanigans going on...just customs being customs . But poking fun at BD and thinking of all kinds of crazy conspiracy theories is more fun .

If I had my fat bike by now, I wouldn't have the energy to sit here and do all this thinking and typing .

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Some of you guys complain a lot. You knew there was a chance of delay when you ordered. If you didn't, then you aren't paying attention to most of the threads in mtbr.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Some of you guys complain a lot. You knew there was a chance of delay when you ordered. If you didn't, then you aren't paying attention to most of the threads in mtbr.
    You obviously don't come here much, do you?
    What would we do if not complain on mtbr?

I think we are all WELL aware that there was the possibility of delay with the BD bikes.
    My issue with the delays are all the "false starts" I got on the delivery for my order.
    I do also think it is pretty reasonable for folks to want to NOT wait 4 months for a product to be delivered.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    These are looking like really nice bikes.

More pictures, ride reports, and bike reviews.

Less chatter about shipping containers.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    @ Destr0 - That's the first batman tape I've seen in cutouts!

You doing the same tubeless approach as pearsth? Is that stock wheel/tire combo?
    Last edited by burnedthetoast; 11-09-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added @
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Looking good! Glad that tire worked out for you!
    Thanks again for the tire...rode some today and it worked great.
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman

mtbr member

Unpacked my 21" metal flake sturgis bullet this morning. Made some upgrades/changes with parts from other bikes i had:

X9 crank with 28t ring
    oneup 42t cog
    X9 shifter and mid cage derailleur
    Lou on the back and Nate on the front
    Superlight tubes
    Shorter stem

Right now it sits at 34lb with pedals.

A few impressions:

The frame tubing, welds and paint quality look good.

I don't care for the paint color. It was well done, just not what i was expecting when i ordered. I was thinking it would be more grey, but i would call it a metallic black.

Spacers on the front hub aren't a big deal to me, they do fit with a little friction fit on the existing end caps. The only concern would be losing them. I could run a rigid fork with 135mm spacing if i need to.

Full cable housing is run through the downtube for both front and rear derailleur.

I will probably replace the saddle and post down the road to something a little nicer but they will do fro now.

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1415568386.305044.jpgMotobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1415568396.550847.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

You obviously don't come here much, do you?
    What would we do if not complain on mtbr?

I think we are all WELL aware that there was the possibility of delay with the BD bikes.
    My issue with the delays are all the "false starts" I got on the delivery for my order.
    I do also think it is pretty reasonable for folks to want to NOT wait 4 months for a product to be delivered.
    Expressing disappointment is one thing, saying that bikes direct owes you something now is a little ridiculous. Just saying, it's annoying when these threads turn to pages of UPS logistics.

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast