Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have a carbon set of bars and I will be very tempted to put them on the Sturgis once it gets here but then I will have to buy another one for the Bucksaw... I guess it is only money - I have not bought a set of bars for the Sturgis yet, but I keep looking and bidding on E-Bay. The ones I have are Bontrager XXX, I have the same seatpost and it is 31.6 so will not fit the Sturgis.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    November 10th Ship date! Can't wait
    Still up to 2 1/2 weeks until they receive in their warehouse. Then 2-5 days for them to unload, inspect and process. Then another 2-5 days for the first ones to get across the country. This is if there is no delay in their shipping/logistics channels enroute from Asia. So up to another month.

I'm under promising and over-delivering on myself by telling myself November 21st, so if I get any notice earlier than that, it'll be like an early Christmas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Double Post....
    Last edited by neons97; 10-22-2014 at 01:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    Still up to 2 1/2 weeks until they receive in their warehouse. Then 2-5 days for them to unload, inspect and process. Then another 2-5 days for the first ones to get across the country. This is if there is no delay in their shipping/logistics channels enroute from Asia. So up to another month.

I pre-ordered in August. I'm under promising and over-delivering on myself by telling myself November 21st, so if I get any notice earlier than that, it'll be like an early Christmas.
    I pre-ordered in August as well. My Framed Alaskan Carbon frame is supposed to ship late Nov./first week of Dec. I might as well just wait and switch over the parts without even taking the Night Train frame for a spin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    I pre-ordered in August as well. My Framed Alaskan Carbon frame is supposed to ship late Nov./first week of Dec. I might as well just wait and switch over the parts without even taking the Night Train frame for a spin.
    I would not have the discipline for that! I will probably have mine unboxed and built within a few hours of UPS dropping it off. :-)

No matter what time it is I am going for a ride - I have a 1200 lumen headlamp and a 2000 lumen handlebar lamp. :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The last correspondence from BD on Oct. 7 says they expect to get the NT and Sturgis bikes in the warehouse between October 27 to November 10. Has that been refined? I was hoping to have a bike in my hands by Veterans day Nov. 11 because I have that day off :-(

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

I'm under promising and over-delivering on myself by telling myself November 21st, so if I get any notice earlier than that, it'll be like an early Christmas.
    Whoa that's a lot of added days. Luckily I'll have my trail bike to keep me busy till then!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I CANT WAIT ,ordered the Sturgis Bullet , after upgrading a Dolomite a little

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am showing a 11/10 ship date - black Night Train.

Live Free & Ride

... and if we just ...

Patience young Jedi!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am wondering which Old Man Mountain rack fits the Night Train. I cant figure out if it is the one for the Pugsley or the Moonlander.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Last word from BD on Oct 7:

"Great News; the Sturgis and Night Train models are on the way. Better News; we feel there are no higher quality aluminum Fat Bikes produced."

"Based on latest shipping confirmation these bikes could arrive at our Dallas warehouse anywhere from October 27th to November 10th. We wish that links in the distribution chain was as predictable as links in a bike chain. Of course, ocean vessels, trains, longshoremen, US Customs, and local truckers all have their own ideas on timely execution of their duties"

Lets hope the earlier date proves to be the case...fingers crossed

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anyone with prior pre-orders like this know if they will be telling us when the shipment arrives? I currently don't have any torque wrenches. Any recommendation on which ones to get? I assume I need one for big and one for little. I was thinking of getting a park tool one for small torque measurements and a lower priced highly rated one from amazon for the heavier stuff. I gave away my automotive one with the needle before I moved a few years ago. Also I can't find the post where someone knew what kind of socket is needed to get the SAMOX crank off (assuming it's possible) so I can grease it up and inspect the bearings before riding? I did already pick up a Torx 25 bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    A cheap Harbor Freight 1/4" torque wrench is all you need - along with a set of metric allen sockets. :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ETChipotle View Post
    Anyone with prior pre-orders like this know if they will be telling us when the shipment arrives? I currently don't have any torque wrenches. Any recommendation on which ones to get? I assume I need one for big and one for little. I was thinking of getting a park tool one for small torque measurements and a lower priced highly rated one from amazon for the heavier stuff. I gave away my automotive one with the needle before I moved a few years ago. Also I can't find the post where someone knew what kind of socket is needed to get the SAMOX crank off (assuming it's possible) so I can grease it up and inspect the bearings before riding? I did already pick up a Torx 25 bit.
    You will not "need" a torque wrench to assemble the bike out of the box, though it is highly highly recommended. Since there is no carbon parts, the risk of over-torquing is greatly diminshed. Anything generally more than finger tight + 1/2 turn on an allen key is probably going to be over-torqued/stripped.

To build the bike out of the box, you will likely need:

- 3mm, 4mm, 5mm and 6mm allen key. (tighten headset preload, tighten stem, bar, seat on seatpost), adjust angle of bar/saddle and control components.
    - Something to mount pedals, depending on your pedals. Either an 8mm Allen Key or a 9/16 pedal wrench or a correct sized open ended wrench if your pedal has enough clearance for a regular wrench
    - Pump to pump up your tires. Capable of using a presta valve, or a presta to schraeder converter if you only have a schraeder valved pump
    - Lithium or waterproof grease to grease the seattube/seat post before insertion to avoid future seizing of seat post in seat tube
    - T25 torx wrench to install front rotor onto front rim (or they could include allen head bolts...but the general industry standard is the T25 for rotor mounting bolts)

To take the SAMOX crank off, you likely won't need a socket at all. All you should need is a 5mm allen key to undo the two bolts on the non-drive-side crank arm. Likely a plastic bearing pre-load nut is in the end of the axle that you'll need to remove. There is a special tool for that, but you could get it out without the special tool. And possibly a rubber mallet to punch the crank axle through the other side. The crank will come right out.

If you want to get the bottom bracket completely out of the frame, you will need an external bottom bracket tool made by any number of bike tool manufacturers. There is no substitute, so you will need to get this tool to remove the bottom bracket. Anything made for Shimano HollowtechII, Sram GXP, RaceFace X-Type, etc. will be compatible. Do not get the tool for BSA30 bottom bracket cups that are used for Rotor, Enduro, ZIPP or RaceFace Cinch bottom brackets. Depending on which brand of tool you buy, the tool could also include the pre-load nut tool (mentioned above).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    There is no substitute...
    Except for a pair of wide-mouth Vice-Grips! :-)

Live Free & Ride
    The bike does not come with a shock pump for the Bluto...as you will most likely need to adjust pressure for your weight. BD tried to sell me one off their site, but it's $35, and I can get a RS one cheaper. Yep, the bottom bracket should be pulled and greased, as BD is notorious for shipping out too dry shells. Hoping the Guides are pre-bled and working properly, but have also heard these brakes may need attention initially. May also change out the tubes for lighter ones that can be filled with sealant, as I know the stock ones weigh a ton. Check all bolts and mech cable tension...should do it!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    When it gets colder out, am I going to have problems keeping the chain from getting clogged with ice? Should I expect any chain/derailleur problems when temps are down between 10 and -10 Fahrenheit? I can probably avoid riding in temps below that without skipping a month of riding. I saw a 10 year old thread about someone who had good luck spraying the chain with LPS 3 (which is something I keep around)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Turtle View Post
    I am wondering which Old Man Mountain rack fits the Night Train. I cant figure out if it is the one for the Pugsley or the Moonlander.
    As the Pugsley and Moonlander both have 135mm rear spacing I am not sure either rack will work on the Sturgis/Night Train. The Moonlander may be able to be stretched to fit as it is made to go around the same 4.7" tires on the BD bikes. :-)

mtbr member
    In 20+ years of riding in the snow and occasional running water crossings I can comfortably say that I have never had one time when ice has accumulated on the chain. I din't really ride if it is much below 20 Degrees F so that could be part of it.

Meanwhile, we currently have snow in the forecast for the weekend so BD had better hurry up and ship these suckers out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Never has snow/ice build up on the chain but have had the front derailler ice solid where it was unable to shift. This was urban riding in Chicago in snow/muck. Not a big deal - I just didn't shift up front (I tried to free it by breaking the ice chunks off but cable had frozen). Worked fine once the bike thawed out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    we don't freeze/thaw much here. so maybe if it comsfortably below freezing, nothing can melt enough to freeze up the drivetrain.

mtbr member
    I have a nighttrain bullet on order.. and I was contemplating swapping parts over to a chinese carbon fatty frame so i posed the question of what frame I should look at that would best fit the parts off the nighttrain etc.. some people were saying that the listed spacing off the bikesdirect website of 190x12mm is incorrect and that its actually 197x12mm.. can anyone confirm what the spacing actually is etc..?
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member

Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

I apologize if this has been covered already, I've been through most of the pages.

The sturgis bullet lists - VEE RUBBER26X4.5 Snow Shoe SBK 72TPI Foldable
    The night train lists -
    VEE RUBBER26X4.5 VRB370 Snow Shoe SBK 120TPI Silica Comp. Foldable Light weight
    Problem is I can't seem to find this 72tpi tire anywhere. I'm wondering what the weight and quality difference is between the two tires is.

I'm not really a fan of sram brakes so that and an x9 rear deraileur are the only difference between the two bikes.

Regards,
    Curtis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    I have a nighttrain bullet on order.. and I was contemplating swapping parts over to a chinese carbon fatty frame so i posed the question of what frame I should look at that would best fit the parts off the nighttrain etc.. some people were saying that the listed spacing off the bikesdirect website of 190x12mm is incorrect and that its actually 197x12mm.. can anyone confirm what the spacing actually is etc..?
    From email from BD. I asked specifically because I was having a wheelset built for my NT Bullet. Emphasis from BD.

Hi Tom,
    R/HUB(FH)
    T NOVATEC
    D202SB-X12MM ALLOY REAR DISC HUB 32H.OLD:12x197MM , 4 CHINESE BEARINGS,2RS , FOR SNOW BIKE , W/O THROUGH PARTS , POLISH ANOD. BLACK W/NOVATEC LOGO
    Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trailwerks View Post
    I apologize if this has been covered already, I've been through most of the pages.

The sturgis bullet lists - VEE RUBBER26X4.5 Snow Shoe SBK 72TPI Foldable
    The night train lists -
    VEE RUBBER26X4.5 VRB370 Snow Shoe SBK 120TPI Silica Comp. Foldable Light weight
    Problem is I can't seem to find this 72tpi tire anywhere. I'm wondering what the weight and quality difference is between the two tires is.

I'm not really a fan of sram brakes so that and an x9 rear deraileur are the only difference between the two bikes.

Regards,
    Curtis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I thought the vee website shows about 100g difference between 120tpi and 72tpi. 120tpi will be lighter, should be more supple (theoretically) but also more prone to punctures.

The Sram guide brakes are apparently very good. Xt level. Not the avid juicy or elixir crap.

mtbr member
    That is interesting that the reply from BD is clearly cut and paste...but from where? When you look at the bike specs for all of the Nighttrain bikes and the Sturgis bikes (same frame) and both the frame and hub descriptions say "12x190" as well as Motobecane's own website...which, as I mentioned earlier, also lists the headtube angle at 70.5 and not the 70 that BD lists.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by silvbullit View Post
    That is interesting that the reply from BD is clearly cut and paste...but from where? When you look at the bike specs for all of the Nighttrain bikes and the Sturgis bikes (same frame) and both the frame and hub descriptions say "12x190" as well as Motobecane's own website...which, as I mentioned earlier, also lists the headtube angle at 70.5 and not the 70 that BD lists.
    I went back through my emails from BD and that is lifted from the spec sheet they sent to the factory for the build. When I was working with the guy who built my wheelset (Mikesee here on mtbr) he mentioned that the hubs would either have to be 190QR or 197TA. A 190TA hub would be a new "standard" versus the current available offerings of fat bike hubs.

I think this confusion falls into the same category as BD initially posting a much longer ETT measurement on their website for their 15" NT then changing it to the correct shorter measurement without emailing any customers or noting that the measurement changed.

None of us will really know until the bikes are in our hands and can take real world measurements.

mtbr member
    Here is the cut and paste from the email I got from BD with the build spec info. before I asked for more clarification on the hub spacing. Emphasis mine.

Hi Tom,

Please see the following I pulled from the factory build sheet.

DROPOUTS(DO)
    Q65-GP56-10 ALLOY VERTICAL W/POST DISK MOUNT,W/REPLACEABLE HANGER . O.L.N:197MM( W/O 3.5mm WASHER X 2 PCS ) , W/ALLOY 7075 QR 12x229xM12xP1.75 ) # 09-QR-00001-1 ) , BLACK ANOD.

R/HUB(FH)
    T NOVATEC
    D202SB-X12MM ALLOY REAR DISC HUB 32H.OLD:12x197MM , 4 CHINESE BEARINGS,2RS , FOR SNOW BIKE , W/O THROUGH PARTS , POLISH ANOD. BLACK W/NOVATEC LOGO

R.HUB THRU QR C
    KINESIS ALLOY 7075 QR 12x229xM12xP1.75 ( # 09-QR-00001-1 ), BLACK ANOD. , ATTACHED ON FM

Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Here is the cut and paste from the email I got from BD with the build spec info. before I asked for more clarification on the hub spacing. Emphasis mine.

Hi Tom,

Please see the following I pulled from the factory build sheet.

DROPOUTS(DO)
    Q65-GP56-10 ALLOY VERTICAL W/POST DISK MOUNT,W/REPLACEABLE HANGER . O.L.N:197MM( W/O 3.5mm WASHER X 2 PCS ) , W/ALLOY 7075 QR 12x229xM12xP1.75 ) # 09-QR-00001-1 ) , BLACK ANOD.

R/HUB(FH)
    T NOVATEC

R.HUB THRU QR C
    KINESIS ALLOY 7075 QR 12x229xM12xP1.75 ( # 09-QR-00001-1 ), BLACK ANOD. , ATTACHED ON FM

Thanks,
    Chris
    Someone should email them back and ask them why their website says something different. Also, if they confirm the discrepancy, they should be told to change it immediately on their website. They seem to add bikes and pictures on their website pretty regularly. I can't imagine it would take more than 10 minutes of their time to change the rear axle and hub info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I thought 190 was the rear spacing, 197 just means it has a thru axle, just like a normal bike with 135 vs. 142 rear spacing. The hubs are still 135, just have the end caps for thru axle...

I am getting very impatient. Selling one of my other bikes today so I will not have to figure out a place to put the new bike. :-)

mtbr member
    Oh no selling a bike..I hope my girl doesn't get any eyes on this thread. She will say if others are capable of selling bikes, than so am I. But I am not. I just let buddies that are new to riding borrow mine so it looks like the herd is thinned...to her anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    I thought 190 was the rear spacing, 197 just means it has a thru axle, just like a normal bike with 135 vs. 142 rear spacing. The hubs are still 135, just have the end caps for thru axle...
    What I interpreted from what Mike C was telling me when getting my wheelset specs together was that the 190TA would be a "non-standard" (my words, not his...not that there is a rear spacing standard for fat bikes yet) setup. Most designs are either 190QR or 197TA.

I am not sure why BD would put the 190 spacing all over their website and then have the 197 spacing on their spec sheets but in my dealings with them, there is a lot of "right hand not knowing what the left it doing" kinda things.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I wonder how the shipment is going. Tomorrow is the 30th. Anyone with ship dates of the 30th on here? Mine is Nov 10

mtbr member
    I wonder how the shipment is going. Tomorrow is the 30th. Anyone with ship dates of the 30th on here? Mine is Nov 10
    My original ship date was Oct 18. Never received any updated ship date. Hoping to see some movement soon, but not holding my breath. Planning it won't ship until Nov...that way I'm not disappointed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Mine is Nov 5. I posted on their Facebook page asking for an update, have not heard anything yet.
    2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman
    2014 Motobecane Night Train Bullet

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My shipping date is Nov 7th on my updated order (changed from L to XL size).

mtbr member

My ship date was October 17th and I ordered in July. This thread fails to deliver, just like BD.

I keep checking, thinking maybe today is the day, to no avail. I emailed Novatec about the pricing/availability of the 12x197 and 15x150 hubs. I don't see them listed on the usa site yet. Hopefully not too much over their other offerings.

mtbr member
    My ship window just passed according to my order confirmation email. "Sturgis || Prepay ships Oct20-28"

I guess they missed the boat. Haha pun intended.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    From their Sturgis page as of today: "Pre-Order Bikes will be in our warehouse to ship out to you by Oct 30 to Nov10th (approx. may be early or late by a couple days) May ship a few days earlier or later than expected date range."

So between that and earlier emails indicating a (very slightly) earlier date in warehouse, I'm hoping for movement in the next week and a half.

Ship dates on original orders (for pre-orders) mean nothing.
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am going to use some reflective tape on the rims for rim strips. Do I need 2 or 3 inches wide?
    2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman
    2014 Motobecane Night Train Bullet

mtbr member
    I have a shipdate of the 30th as well.. checked the tracking # today an nothing... I brought up the hub spacing thing as I was looking at swapping parts from my nighttrain when.it shows up over to a chinese carbon frame.. but it seems as though I need to wait till all this hub spacing crap gets confirmed by someone with one in their possession. This craps confusing...

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    BD will likely post on the FB page when the bikes arrive in their warehouse, just like they did for the Lurch.

However, what I don't like is that the website now shows Oct. 30-Nov. 10th, but the email we first got was Oct. 27-Nov. 10th. So clearly, the bikes are later than the two week delay. I just wish BD would communicate to their customers.

I also posted on their FB page asking for a status update and no response yet.

mtbr member

My shipping date is Nov 7th on my updated order (changed from L to XL size).
    How tall are you? What made you decide to switch to an xl? I'm torn between the sizes. I'm right at 6'3"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by trailwerks View Post
    How tall are you? What made you decide to switch to an xl? I'm torn between the sizes. I'm right at 6'3"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I changed my order after riding a Salsa Muk in L and XL - they have very similar geometry to the Sturgis. The XL felt right. I currently ride a L Motobecane Fantom Pro 29er and I have a 20mm setback post and a longer stem than I would like to get the cockpit right. I also ordered a Bucksaw frame in XL and am going to swap the Bluto over to it (I did 5 miles on a L and XL Bucksaw as well and the XL felt right) so wanted the longest steer tube. Still crossing my fingers it will fit or I will have to spend another $540 on a second Bluto (vs. $100 for an ICT fork or similar).

I am now 43 - in my younger days I liked a smaller frame that felt more nimble and I came from riding 20" back in the day. Now that I am older my back doesn't like a smaller frame. :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    From BD Facebook page this morning

Good Morning, Eager Fatty-Fans! We mean Fat Bikes, of course!

We are watching the Sturgis and Night Train containers closer than any other we've had before. The ocean freight company just alerted us that they 'moved to rail'.

Our directions to forwarder are to move to our Dallas warehouses as that is quicker than going to Houston warehouse on this route (and much quicker than going to our Jacksonville warehouses).

Rail time can be as little as 2 days and as long as 7. We have local truckers altered that we want 'hot shot' pull and delivery. We will unload, sort, inspect and ship all the same day by bringing in extra help once these arrive.

All four models: Sturgis, Night Train, Sturgis Bullet and Night Train Bullet have been in high demand.

We expect the shipment of Sturgis Bullet framesets [due Jan 15] and Sturgis Bullet & Night Train Bullet complete bikes [due Jan 31] will all sell out quickly; especially after the first load is received by customers who will pass the word along.

So, if you have even the slightest interest, we highly recommend you take a look at our hot new bikes before it's too late to snag one!

mtbr member
    so by that, looks like a week or 2 out from my door! Woot!

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Is the Night Train able to accommodate a rear rack? I don't see any mounting holes.

Name:  nighttrain-bullet-slv-21.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  69.2 KB

mtbr member
    Woohoo. Hurry up and get those puppies on the road. The snow is starting to fly in Tahoe!
    Somebody mentioned being like a kid at Christmas and that's exactly how I feel!
    Last edited by livewr06; 10-30-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Copied the wrong quote

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shappy View Post
    Is the Night Train able to accommodate a rear rack? I don't see any mounting holes.

Name:  nighttrain-bullet-slv-21.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  69.2 KB
    To follow up on my own post, does anyone know if this quick release adapter will work on the Night Train:

Tubus QR Adapter | Bike Bag

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=shappy;11548510]To follow up on my own post, does anyone know if this quick release adapter will work on the Night Train:QUOTE]

The NT is a thru-axle front and rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    [QUOTE=OnThaCouch;11548523]
    Quote Originally Posted by shappy View Post
    To follow up on my own post, does anyone know if this quick release adapter will work on the Night Train:QUOTE]

The NT is a thru-axle front and rear.
    Thanks, I just realized that. So are there any other options for mounting a rear rack at the dropouts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That QR adapter will not work on the Sturgis or Night Train because they do not use a quick release skewer in the rear. It is a 12mm Thru axle.

I would wait until we start seeing these frames as the pictures are of pre-production prototypes and the actual frames may have the rack mounts.

RAKC
    190mm hub, skewers won't be long enough.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    That QR adapter will not work on the Sturgis or Night Train because they do not use a quick release skewer in the rear. It is a 12mm Thru axle.

I would wait until we start seeing these frames as the pictures are of pre-production prototypes and the actual frames may have the rack mounts.
    BD customer service told me that the frames have no mounts, upper or lower.

mtbr member
    It seems the Sturgis/Night Train frame is "performance..." dare I say "KOM" oriented. For rack mounts and more of a Mukluk/Moonlander experience it looks like the Lurch or possibly the Fantom would be the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I plan to add a Specialized Command Post dropper seat post to my Sturgis Bullet. Does anyone know if the Sturgis frame supports an internally routed seatpost cable? I know that the Sturgis frame has internal cable routing, but I don't know if that applies to the seat post as well?

I've found 2 command posts locally, but one (The IR model) requires internal cable routing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The cassette for the Sturgis Bullet is described as "SRAM CS-PG-1030 11-36." Is that the one that has individual rings, and it bends up the hub causing play? Should I be thinking of upgrading the cassette, not because of weight, but to avoid bending up my hub? I suppose replacing that part of the hub isn't so expensive, but might be an unnecessary cost. Is this a non-issue?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ETChipotle View Post
    The cassette for the Sturgis Bullet is described as "SRAM CS-PG-1030 11-36." Is that the one that has individual rings, and it bends up the hub causing play? Should I be thinking of upgrading the cassette, not because of weight, but to avoid bending up my hub? I suppose replacing that part of the hub isn't so expensive, but might be an unnecessary cost. Is this a non-issue?
    According to this post in the Lurch Lounge you are correct: freehub damage

It looks like the cassette rings are not joined and the hub body is soft.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hartzpad View Post
    I plan to add a Specialized Command Post dropper seat post to my Sturgis Bullet. Does anyone know if the Sturgis frame supports an internally routed seatpost cable? I know that the Sturgis frame has internal cable routing, but I don't know if that applies to the seat post as well?

I've found 2 command posts locally, but one (The IR model) requires internal cable routing.
    There is no specific internal routin for a dropper post. However, if you removed your front derailleur for a 1x setup, you may be able to make the fd cable routing work for your dropper post.

mtbr member
    I have had aluminum freehub bodies forever and the cassette rings will only dig so deep and then they can't go any further. The little ridge of aluminum builds up and hits the "ceiling" of the cog and stops. The only pain in the ass is that the cassette is harder to remove but if the hub isn't piece of crap (I am more concerned that this guy already has crunchy hub bearings after 50 miles of riding) you won't need to take the cassette off very often anyway. Prep the cassette mating surface with anti-seize and it will make it easier to remove and add a little "material" with all of the graphite in the compound.

You could also get real techy and avoid buying more stuff by getting two or three long 3mm bolts and drilling out the larger cogs, tapping the last one and tying them together like the old Shimano 7-speed cassettes used to be.

Once I get the bike I will immediately pull the hub and measure the bearings and order some higher end cartridge bearings for when the stock ones die.

mtbr member
    This may be superficial and off current topic, but, whatever. I like the purple on the nighttrain, but that color only comes on the non-bluto model. I really like the sturgis bullet in red, but prefer the better upgrades on the N/T bullet. I hope that BD sales folk read these threads cuz the N/T bullet needs the purple. That would be a fine looking fatty. Maybe you could order the rigid purple N/T and ask BD to install the Bluto for same price? My guess would be no, but maybe worth asking. I know the Lurch comes/came (haven't seen any on the website) in purple, but I prefer the alloy-framed, thru-axled (both ends) N/T and sturgis frames.
    I love 'Murica!

mtbr member
    I keep ranting here because I want my bike to come and this is like meds...

Just buy a sturgis..the only worthwhile upgrade on the NT is the 120 tpi tires. An X7 rear derailluer is actually a few grams lighter than an X9 and feels the same. The shifters are probably heavier so a wash there. You can get a set of new Avid DB3 brakes (I would rather have dual piston brakes instead of the quad piston pains in the ass that are the Guides) for $60 shipped on EBay with a little patience which you must have because it seems like we are waiting an eternity for these things!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Patiently waiting for my red Sturgis Bullet. Picked up a few upgrades for it:

One-Up Components 42T conversion
    Specialized Command Post Blacklite, $175 local classifieds
    Specialized Henge Saddle, brand new, $20 local classifieds

Plan to go tubeless, buy a large frame bag and ride the wheels off. I'm also thinking that I will likely want to reduce the Bluto from 120mm to 80mm or 100mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by coot271 View Post
    This may be superficial and off current topic, but, whatever. I like the purple on the nighttrain, but that color only comes on the non-bluto model. I really like the sturgis bullet in red, but prefer the better upgrades on the N/T bullet. I hope that BD sales folk read these threads cuz the N/T bullet needs the purple. That would be a fine looking fatty. Maybe you could order the rigid purple N/T and ask BD to install the Bluto for same price? My guess would be no, but maybe worth asking. I know the Lurch comes/came (haven't seen any on the website) in purple, but I prefer the alloy-framed, thru-axled (both ends) N/T and sturgis frames.
    For awhile the NT bullet wasn't available and I was literally moments from purchasing the NT and an aftermarket Bluto and just before doing so I checked and several NT bullets had magically appeared. Back to the aftermarket Bluto...don't remember the website but it was listed for 525 but when I added it to my cart it had a price of 475. Granted that's 175 more but it still beats a sharp stick in the eye. btw I'd already requested them getting me a bluto at their bulk price but they wouldn't bite.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    jensenusa has the e.13 fat bike TRS+ crankset for $149 (reg 330+)....picked one up today for the NT Bullet since the crankset and the seat seem to be where they went cheap. I'll post up how the swap went....hope to be riding it next weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'll sell you my new take off db3's off my farley 8
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gurleyman View Post
    jensenusa has the e.13 fat bike TRS+ crankset for $149 (reg 330+)....picked one up today for the NT Bullet since the crankset and the seat seem to be where they went cheap. I'll post up how the swap went....hope to be riding it next weekend.
    Is that crank compatible with 190mm rear spacings?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by danny31292 View Post
    Yessir, according to Charles schnieder of the hive

mtbr member
    OK...was checking my shipping tag tonight and UPS says my tag was voided by the shipper. Anyone else get this notification? I did change sizes but never received an updated shipping notice so I am wondering why the voided shipping tag now.

mtbr member
    Just saw this on Facebook

Bikesdirect
    30 October
    Good Morning, Eager Fatty-Fans!

We mean Fat Bikes, of course!

We are watching the Sturgis and Night Train containers closer than any other we've had before. The ocean freight company just alerted us that they 'moved to rail'.

Our directions to forwarder are to move to our Dallas warehouses as that is quicker than going to Houston warehouse on this route (and much quicker than going to our Jacksonville warehouses).

Rail time can be as little as 2 days and as long as 7.
    We have local truckers altered that we want 'hot shot' pull and delivery.
    We will unload, sort, inspect and ship all the same day by bringing in extra help once these arrive.

All four models: Sturgis, Night Train, Sturgis Bullet and Night Train Bullet have been in high demand.
    We expect the shipment of Sturgis Bullet framesets [due Jan 15] and Sturgis Bullet & Night Train Bullet complete bikes [due Jan 31] will all sell out quickly; especially after the first load is received by customers who will pass the word along.

So, if you have even the slightest interest, we highly recommend you take a look at our hot new bikes before it's too late to snag one!
    Photo: Good Morning, Eager Fatty-Fans!

We mean Fat Bikes, of course!

Rail time can be as little as 2 days and as long as 7.
    We have local truckers altered that we want 'hot shot' pull and delivery.
    We will unload, sort, inspect and ship all the same day by bringing in extra help once these arrive.

LikeLike ∑ ∑ Share

So they are on the "night train"
    Like ∑ Reply ∑ 4 ∑ 30 October at 11:37
    Fat Bike for a Fat Bloke

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    OK...was checking my shipping tag tonight and UPS says my tag was voided by the shipper. Anyone else get this notification? I did change sizes but never received an updated shipping notice so I am wondering why the voided shipping tag now.
    Nope, I just checked and my tracking number is still valid, still waiting for the bikes at the warehouse that it will go active.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Mine was voided on Friday as well. I didn't make any changes to my order.
    If anyone from BD is reading, an email would be nice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy View Post
    Mine was voided on Friday as well. I didn't make any changes to my order.
    If anyone from BD is reading, an email would be nice!
    Same here. Mine also voided.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

My tracking number is still valid . Not showing movement though.

mtbr member
    Mystery solved...Just got off the phone with Megan from BD. Seems like that the shipping tag is automatically voided/de-activated if there is no activity for 60 days or more (did I really order THAT long ago). She assured me that once it is scanned for shipping that it will re-activate and track just fine.

I did ask for an update on an actual shipping date and she had the same info (word for word) that went out in the update on Facebook a little while ago. Still guesstimating some time between Oct 27 and Nov 10.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    7 more days till Nov 10. I hope to see lots of snow very soon

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The e.13 TRS+ cranks that JensonUSA is selling for more than 1/2 off is the older 67.5mm chainline version, and is an older/discontinued model. The new models are 74.8mm chainline.

So the cranks on sale at Jenson USA with the 67.5mm chainline "MAY" work with the Sturgis/Night Train frame...possibly in a 1x set-up (outer ring position), and with narrower tires (i.e. 4" or smaller...just a guess). But you may get odd chainline (i.e. abnormal wear, poor shifting performance, noise, etc.).

However, it probably won't work as a 2x set-up at all, regardless of rear tire clearance. And probably not with tires more than 4" wide (just a pure guess on my part).

Quote Originally Posted by gurleyman View Post
    Yessir, according to Charles schnieder of the hive
    Quote Originally Posted by danny31292 View Post

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Race Face Ride Fat bike crankset is only $100 if you feel the need to swap the cranks - they also include an external bottom bracket. I found my Ride for $76 including shipping from BikeParts.com a month ago. They do not have any left though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Two things. 1st, the Samox crank on the Fatboy seems to be having enough issues with the crank bolt that its concerning. How can we prevent this issue? 2nd, whats a good replacement crank that is compatible with the 190mm rear. I think a few people have posted incompatible 170mm cranks.

mtbr member
    Just saw this on Facebook. It's hotting up!

POSTS BY PAGE
    Bikesdirect
    10 minutes ago ∑
    The long awaited Night Train Bullet, Night Train, Sturgis, and Sturgis Bullet are starting to land! Many pre-sold units will ship out today. Unfortunately, as these were in several assorted containers, not all unloaded today. Some containers were selected by U.S. customs to inspect.
    We have no control over customs, their timing, or work load. However, we have made it clear to our forwarder that the outstanding containers are a hot rush. As soon as we get release and delivery on the remaining Night Train Bullet, Night Train, Sturgis, and Sturgis Bullet bikes the remaining bikes will ship at once.
    Hundreds of tracking numbers on pre-sold units will be live and show movement tomorrow.
    OTHER GOOD NEWS: the outstanding containers include some Fat Bike wheels that will go on sale for Black Friday promo - including some 29er wheels that will work in Night Train Bullet, Night Train, Sturgis, and Sturgis Bullet.
    We will certainly post when the remainder unload.
    Fat Bike for a Fat Bloke

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Beat me to it!

mtbr member
    Just got off the phone (literally) with BD. My Night Train will ship today!!

Keep an eye out for movement on your tracking ticket, y'all.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Woot! Awesome man!

mtbr member
    Woot! Awesome man!
    Heck ya!! I have a long weekend coming up .

Hopefully it's delivered in time to introduce it to the local trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just got off the phone (literally) with BD. My Night Train will ship today!!

Keep an eye out for movement on your tracking ticket, y'all.
    I just got off the phone with BD and was told to keep Ckecking for movement with your tracking number....she couldnt tell who would be getting their bike from the recieved containers and who would be waiting on the ones held by customs.

This was the email I received:

Hi, Thanks very much for your order with Bikesdirect.com. Long awaited Night Train Bullet, Night Train, Sturgis, and Sturgis Bullet are starting to land! Many pre-sold units will ship out today. If you are receiving this email then something that you ordered will be shipping today. Unfortunately, as these were in several assorted containers, not all unloaded today. Some containers were selected by U.S. customs to inspect. We have no control over customs, their timing, or work load. However, we have made it clear to our forwarder that the outstanding containers are a hot rush. As soon as we get release and delivery on the remaining Night Train Bullet, Night Train, Sturgis, and Sturgis Bullet bikes the remaining bikes will ship at once. Hundreds of tracking numbers on pre-sold units will be live and will show movement within the next 24 hours.

Your bike will ship with the tracking number that was sent to you after you ordered. If you don't see that email, please check your spam folder. If you have any problems with this, please let us know. The best way is to reply to this email, or you can always call us at 904-249-2453. If you don't reach us between 9-5 EST just call back as we may be on the other line with a customer.

OTHER GOOD NEWS: the outstanding containers include some Fat Bike wheels that will go on sale for Black Friday promo - including some 29er wheels that will work on Night Train Bullet, Night Train, Sturgis, and Sturgis Bullet.

We thank you for your business and most importantly your patience. We look forward to completing your order as soon as possible. Thanks for being a valued customer, you are saving hundreds with BikesDirect.com!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Update.....just checked my tracking number after my last post to yall and low and behold:

Scheduled Delivery Updated To:
    Friday, 11/07/2014, By End of Day

WAHOOOOO!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I did not get that email

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My tracking number just updated (I checked right after I saw I got the above email) - shows picked up and delivery by end of day Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    How early did those that have tracking info order? I ordered back on Sept. 20.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I ordered August 15th.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I ordered August 22nd and no active UPS Tracking number yet.

17.5" red Sturgis Bullet

mtbr member
    May 2013
    ^^ me too!!!

Scheduled Delivery Updated To:
    Friday, 11/07/2014, By End of Day

Last Location:
    Mesquite, TX, United States, Tuesday, 11/04/2014

"Picked Up"

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    August 26 here

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I ordered NT bullet July 16. My tracking number says "shipment information voided".
    I must be the person who has waited longer than anyone else.

mtbr member
    I am going to play a little Sherlock Holmes here because I am eager for my bike...I am willing to bet that certain colors/bikes/sizes were grouped together.

I ordered a 17" Sturgis in KTM Orange.

mtbr member
    Wonder if it makes sense to include what you ordered...

NT - no Bullet
    Original order on 9/2, updated size on 10/7 (S->M)

Delivery EOD Thurs 11/6

I really can't believe how excited I am to ride this thing... I feel for all the folks left in the dark right now. Hopefully only a matter of a day or so...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I ordered the 17.5 Night-Train scheduled for Friday delivery here in Michigan

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Quote Originally Posted by skywardx View Post
    I ordered the 17.5 Night-Train scheduled for Friday delivery here in Michigan
    Bullet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I really can't believe how excited I am to ride this thing... I feel for all the folks left in the dark right now. Hopefully only a matter of a day or so...[/QUOTE]

+1

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast