Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am glad they put the bit about the CF Sturgis forks in January. That is about the time I will be needing one! And being a BD product I know it will be reasonably priced.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So if I regret getting a Bluto I can order up an aluminum one in January? I wonder what color forks they'll have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pearsth View Post

Anyway - Three questions to get this ball rolling:

1 - Are you going to change anything right off the bat?
    2 - Did you buy for winter, sand, trail, or all?
    3 - What date did your ship notice show?
    Purple Night Train, Size 19

1) Grips, Saddle, some nice flats, Surly rack.
    2) Mostly winter but I would imagine it will see some summer use too. It just looks too fun.
    3)10/27-11/10

mtbr member
    Orange Sturgis, Size 17.5

1. Thomson seatpost that I had laying around from upgrading to dropper posts on other bikes, Avid DB3 brakes and rotors that I got on Ebay new for $31 shipped...apparently nobody likes white brakes anymore. San Marco Aspide saddle, 700mm Carbon Ritchey handlebar, 50mm Truvativ stem or 70mm Syncros stem whichever feels better, light-weight tubes from pricepoint, probably will swap the nipples to anodized aluminum for kicks since I have so many kicking around.

2. Mostly winter here too (Maine.) So many snowmobile trails that I have ridden for years on old 2.7 Nokian Gazzalodis but this should be much better and hopefully keep me somewhat fit through winter so I am not such a slug come spring. I really look forward to trying it in summer although I have been a devout full-sus-tons-of-travel rider since my first Heckler in 1997.

3. 10/20-10/28

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Which rubes at pricepioint? Have a link?

Anyone guess what the stock ones will weigh?
    2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman
    2014 Motobecane Night Train Bullet

mtbr member
    Price Point Tube | Inner tube | Presta | Schrader | Valve

I will get schrader and drill the rims because I can't tolerate presta valves and when I go tubeless I use the 949Racing valves. I will get the 2.25-2.5 tubes. I have one left over that I pumped up to about 5" in diameter without being in a tire and it has been fine for over a month now. They stretch enough.

My guess at stock tube weight: too much.

Also, If someone is looking to upgrade the bar (as stock probably weighs a ton) price point has the the Easton Haven bar in low rise 711mm width for only $28 and uncut it is 270g which is respectable for an aluminum bar. I have had one on my Butcher for a year and a half and I love it, stiff and I dig the polished aluminum look. The finish is durable but the white and black graphics come off somewhat easily. But for $28 a name-brand bar that is fairly light can't be beat. Easton Haven Lo Rise 711mm 31.8 Limited Silver Handlebar | Easton

mtbr member
    Only a couple weeks out now...someone has to be getting excited. I know I am. I was hoping for a suprise 6" of snow; we got that much on Halloween two years ago but right now we are still having days in the mid-70's.

Like someone said in another Motobecane thread, I don't think I would have been thinking of upgrades if I didn't have to wait for it.

mtbr member

Re: Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

My ship window opened 4 days ago, so I was hoping for mid October delivery. Sounds like early to mid November is most likely. Slightly disappointing, but I will get over it.

Trying to decide on an accent color that would make it pop. I've already got a shorter stem for it. Definitely getting some nice flats, a dropper, grips, and maybe bars. And a 4.0 Nate for the snow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah...well, don't get too excited. The date range is wider...Oct 27 - Nov 10. So, could come to you as late as 11/17 (or later, especially if they all show up in Texas on Nov 10) depending on where you are in the country.

Since these come signature required, that almost always screws me up. Those guys ring the doorbell, throw the sticker on the door, and run like hell back to the truck to meet their delivery quotas. That means I have to wait until the weekend to get the bike.

I am setting my expectations to being happy if I get the bike before Thanksgiving so I am not too disappointed if that happens..

Tom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    My ship window opened 4 days ago, so I was hoping for mid October delivery. Sounds like early to mid November is most likely. Slightly disappointing, but I will get over it.
    What makes you think that it will be so much later? My window is the 20th to the 1st I think but I haven't received any sort of notification that it will be delayed. I assumed it would be the tail end of the time frame but of course have some small hope that it will be at the early end.

I did notice that the 17.5 Sturgis is sold out in both colors so I am ggd I ordered when I did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by silvbullit View Post
    What makes you think that it will be so much later? My window is the 20th to the 1st I think but I haven't received any sort of notification that it will be delayed. I assumed it would be the tail end of the time frame but of course have some small hope that it will be at the early end.

I did notice that the 17.5 Sturgis is sold out in both colors so I am ggd I ordered when I did.
    A while ago some folks that ordered early were sent an email about a possible 2 week delay due to sourcing issues.

My original ship date was/is Oct 18. I am not planning on it shipping until the end of the month. If it comes earlier, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I posted the estimated ship date from BD in post #48. Current schedule is October 27th to November 10th.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Here is the letter from BikesDirect in case you didn't get it... It was sent on 10/7.

Hi, Thank you for pre-ordering a New Motobecane FatBike.

Many customers have the idea that we get bikes from just one factory. The fact is; we receive bikes from 3 different factories in Taiwan and 3 different factories in China.

The Factory that produces the Sturgis, Night Train, Lurch, and Boris The Brut FAT BIKE models is unsurpassed in quality by ANY factory in Asia. However, like all bicycle factories, their volume and experience with Fat Bikes is limited. Fat Bikes are after all a small and relatively new market.

Our first run of Lurchs sold out and reviews by customers have been fantastic overall. However, we felt packing could be improved. Therefore, our CEO had the factory slow down production, increase inspections, and improve packing. In order to meet shipping requests, the factory had workers over time during the weekend.

Great News; the Sturgis and Night Train models are on the way. Better News; we feel there are no higher quality aluminum Fat Bikes produced.

Based on latest shipping confirmation these bikes could arrive at our Dallas warehouse anywhere from October 27th to November 10th. We wish that links in the distribution chain was as predictable as links in a bike chain. Of course, ocean vessels, trains, longshoremen, US Customs, and local truckers all have their own ideas on timely execution of their duties.

We are very excited to see the customer response to these bikes.

In January, Sturgis Bullet framesets will be available AND an extra shipment of complete Sturgis / Night Train bikes. Also in January, we will get Sturgis AL forks, Sturgis Express CF forks, and Lurch chrome-moly forks.

Thanks again,

Order Processing Team at Bikes Direct

Be Safe and Have Fun

mtbr member
    Here is the text from the email I received on August 13.

Hi, Thanks for being a smart cyclist and saving hundreds on your new Motobecane FatBike.

Update on your order - these incredibly fun Fat Bikes are nearly pre-sold out! Wow! Due to production timing and availability, specialty Fat Bike parts are in short supply. Major parts suppliers have communicated minor delays so these are running a little later than projected. Even though it's only about 10 to 11 days later, we wanted to make sure you were made aware of this possibility. There is a small chance they will not be delayed but we are updating the arrival dates on the site just in case. If this is a deal breaker for you, PLEASE LET US KNOW RIGHT AWAY AND WE CAN REFUND YOU IN FULL.

Thanks again for being a smart cyclist and saving hundreds off your new Motobecane FatBike.

Best regards,

The Friendly Folks at Bikesdirect.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone looking ahead to the spring and summer and thinking about what tires to put on these bad boys? Anyone going to keep the snowshoes on? I'm thinking maybe knard 3.8s.

mtbr member
    I find it odd that I never get any of these update emails at all.

As far as tires I am going to run the stock ones to the cords since fat bike tires are so damn expensive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Check your spam folder....
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ordered the sturgis bullet, since I waited too long to pull trigger on night train.. ... I plan on tossing on one floaters during the summer,, i've been real happy with them on my pug for the last two years... and the cost is more gentle on the wallet

mtbr member
    A little off topic....

Would any of the current Stages powermeter crank arms work with the stock Samox crank arm on the Night Train?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone have a MatteSilver NightTrain Bullet? Wondering how it looks in person. Really wanted the matte black but no stock ;(
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Go to the first page of this thread. I posted a pic of a matte silver fantom29. Should give you the idea.
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman

mtbr member

Re: Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    Anyone have a MatteSilver NightTrain Bullet? Wondering how it looks in person. Really wanted the matte black but no stock ;(
    They have pics of the actual matte silver on the site. They were updated from the photoshopped ones a little while back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone know if the seat post is internal routing for a dropper? Such as the integra?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Someone cancel their medium or large order for the matte black NightTrain bullet so I can order one lol
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have a Sturgis Bullet gunmetal gray metallic in 19 inch on order.

I have a Easton EA70 400mm seat post and a Specialized Henge seat ready to go on it. I also have a spare X9 type 2 medium rear derailleur I may install if I don't like the x7 long RD. I will probably get a 750mm bar and shorter stem at some point.

I will try tubeless with gorilla tape and homemade sealant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well pretty upset. Went ahead and tried to buy the silver and it wouldn't let me. Said sold out even though its in the drop down box.
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy22 View Post
    Well pretty upset. Went ahead and tried to buy the silver and it wouldn't let me. Said sold out even though its in the drop down box.
    Some thing happened to me with the Boris. The drop downs do not get updated as often as their stock changes. You should reach out to them to see if there is a wait list in case some people cancel orders.

mtbr member
    Soon to be added to the BD aresenal...Night Train Frame/Bluto combo...

From their FB page...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bikesdirect/122199864367

Bikesdirect

2 hours ago.

#Motobecane #Sturgis Bullet #Fatbike Framesets Will Be In About January 15th
    SIX Custom Metal Flake Colors

FrameSet Sale Price Includes Rockshox Bluto And Headset
    (no wheels or other parts)
    $1995 Value - These Will Be $895

#fatbikes #mtbr #bikerumor #pinkbike #fatwallet #bicycling #mountainbikeaction #cycling #slickdeals #fatwallet

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ive called and begged lol..No luck. If i wait till mid Jan. winter will be half over..
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Date Approaches!!!!!

I ordered a17.5" Sturgis Bullet in Gunmetal Grey. ship date 11/05(but im hoping for sooner so I could maybe catch the last weekend of riding at mountain creek)

I plan on swapping the saddle for a brooks cambium

and trying out a dropper seat post for the first time [this seems like a decent inexpensive one](Amazon.com : DNM Mountain Bike Dropper Seatpost Remote Lockout 330mm : Bike Seat Posts And Parts : Sports & Outdoors).

planning on going tubeless

and swapping a shorter stem, maybe a 70mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone buy the NightTrain and a bluto separately? Go on ok? Thinking of doing this since all the Bullets are out of stock till Jan
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    I am not sure if anyone noticed but the Motobecane website shows the headtube angle at 69.5 and BD lists it as 70. I kind hope for the slack measurement to be correct. I haven't owned a bike steeper than 67 degrees in over a decade.

My solution to a dropper on the fatbike will be a Salsa QR seatpost collar. Strava be damned.

mtbr member
    The photo for the WR Green Sturgis has also been updated to reflect the correct brakes, the 72dpi Snowshoes, and single-wall rims from what I can see.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone converting to 1 by 10? I'm thinking of getting a next sl and swapping from the beginning. Maybe I could get a few dollars for the samox crankset.

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum1 View Post
    Anyone converting to 1 by 10? I'm thinking of getting a next sl and swapping from the beginning. Maybe I could get a few dollars for the samox crankset.
    Yes most likely after winter riding. Could also just pony up 30 bucks for the NW chainring and slap it on the Samox.
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    True. I don't have the legs for that. I would need to get a 42t cog for that cuz I would think the smallest front chainring that is possible is a 30t correct?

Live Free & Ride
    True. I don't have the legs for that. I would need to get a 42t cog for that cuz I would think the smallest front chainring that is possible is a 30t correct?
    Yeah only 30T on the single ring...direct mount on a Next or Turbine cinch would allow 26, 28T. Been seeing successful fat bikes with the 40-42 cog conversion too. I think 1 x 10,11 makes sense for a lot of riders and can be done... Go for it!
    Last edited by NH Mtbiker; 10-16-2014 at 07:27 PM.
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a next SL on my other mountain bike and love it. I go back and forth. It makes more monetary sense to go with a 30t up front and a 42t in back but then I'm looking at $150 for something that may have chain line issues(I've heard chain drops with back pedaling) or slow shifting into the smaller rear cogs. I'll pay triple the price for a next sl with a 26t front ring with a smaller range but I know it will work. Hmmmm.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Zero
    I have a next SL on my other mountain bike and love it. I go back and forth. It makes more monetary sense to go with a 30t up front and a 42t in back but then I'm looking at $150 for something that may have chain line issues(I've heard chain drops with back pedaling) or slow shifting into the smaller rear cogs. I'll pay triple the price for a next sl with a 26t front ring with a smaller range but I know it will work. Hmmmm.....
    Go with he new turbine cinch with a direct mount and save $250 over the next sl. I like the next sl but can't justify the 1/4 lb savings for about $250.

mtbr member
    1x is still useless to me. I love to chug up technical uphills even if a little trials maneuvers are required but the trails here also have plenty of moderate downhills that you have to pedal for if you want to get going 25+ mph and anything smaller than a 34t will spin out.

I get trying to simplify but I have never had a front derailleur fail on a ride and the gearing range seems worth the "clutter."

It must be that northeast trails are tougher and the buff superhighway singletrack out west allows for higher gearing. When I lived in Colo Spgs 25 miles was a solid ride and back here in Maine 12+ miles pretty much poops me out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anyone see the Boris Bluto they now have?

Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X9 SRAM

I originally wanted a Boris X9 (rigid) but they were sold out, so I went "all in" and went Night Train Bullet. I am thinking of switching over to the Boris X9 Bluto now that they have it with the Bluto, and for $300 less.. Looks like the major difference is only the brakes.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pearsth View Post
    Thoughts?
    The big difference is 170 vs 190 rear hub spacing. If 4" tires are the widest you want, go Boris. If you want 4.8", go Night Train/Sturgis.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Put in my order for a jet black night train. Excited for these bad boys. Those SRAM guides are great. Felt them on an enduro this past weekend and I'm glad they are coming on the fat bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I just ordered a Night Train Bullet Yesterday. They weren't available in the 21M for some time and somehow for a very short time they were yesterday. We'll see if one shows up...they did send me a tracking number
    Looking at Big-O fenders since I plan to ride mine in the riverbed allot. Looking for feedback on that if anyone has experience with them.

Been riding roadies since 83, this will be my first offroad adult bike....pretty stoked about it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I paid using PayPal and I did not get a tracking #. Does this mean they are already shipping?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    I paid using PayPal and I did not get a tracking #. Does this mean they are already shipping?
    I would follow up with BD. When I ordered mine, I got a tracking number right away. Hasn't shown any activity/movement since then but I think that has been their process.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I ordered Sunday night. Their site says an email within 24 hours yet nothing in spam folder or regular folder. I'll reach out to them

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I got an email today about Bikesdirect and was all excited thinking maybe the bikes had gotten to them early. Nope, just a request for a review of my purchase from Bizrate... I am counting down the days! The pile of parts in packages still has gotten quite large, although most of them are for my Bucksaw build that I still have to wait another two months for. :-(

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I bought this thinking it would be better than a cold conductive aluminum handlebar.Motobecane Sturgis / Night Train Thread-handlebar.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    November 10th Ship date! Can't wait

Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast