Thread: Motobecane FB5

mtbr member

Motobecane FB5

Motobecane FB5 will have a tapered headtube and 12x190mm Rear axle spacing.

So the bike has been designed for a Bluto and 12mm rear thruaxle on a 190mm hub. Sounds great!

I have been wanting to upgrade my FB4, this looks to be the trick. They have two models, the 3.0 and 2.0, and I would bet the first Bluto equipped model will come out as a 1.0 (but that's pure conjecture)

I am excited for this bike, I will buy one as soon as the 1.0 becomes available.

The 2.0 ships in black at 1100$:

Motobecane FB5-fb5_2_blk-pic-6.jpg
    The 3.0 ships in orange at 900$:
    Motobecane FB5-moto-fb5-3-org-6.jpg

Looking at the other bike pricing on their page, I would suppose that the 1.0 would ship at something like 1400$, as the Bluto addition maps to a $300 price increase.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    These FB5 bikes look like the least expensive fat bike with ability to run 4.5+ tire widths. I just wonder how terribly heavy those wheels are....looks like the rear wheel is standard for fat bikes (maybe single wall 80mm) front is the same as FB4.(double wheel).

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    ....what's with the blue headset spacers? Simple fix, but strange choice. At least color match them to frame color.

mtbr member

Motobecane FB5

Looking at the large images on the BD site, it looks like the rims are the double walled aluminum units shipped on the FB4. I don't like that they take on water when crossing streams; takes forever to dry and they are hard to keep clean.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I like my Fb4. BTW, my 4 uses red spacers on a black frame, with red rim tape. It's just an aesthetic choice.

mtbr member

Motobecane FB5

The front axle is a quick release skewer instead of a bluto-friendly thru-axle. It would need replaced if a bluto is added.

mtbr member
    Delete
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    I would personally go with the Framed Minnesota 3.0 for the same money as the FB5 1.0.

It's got 190mm rear, a Bluto ready 150mm Thru-Axle Front Hub, Avid BB7 brakes, X7 front derailleur and shifters, Single Wall Rims, and it can be ordered with some Vee Rubber Bulldozer 26" x 4.7" 120 tpi tires.

Seems like a way better deal to me

Motobecane FB5-mn3xl_blkred_1200.jpg
    Current bikes:
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2015 Framed Alaskan Alloy
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    The FB5's rear hub is a 12x190mm with thru axle instead of the Minnesota QR skewer.

The projected difference in price will be about $150, and the Minnesota ships with a spare fork.

The framed bike has a full x7 complement, while the Moto has an x7 and x5 mixed set. The moto uses x5 brakes, the framed uses x7.

Who knows if the Moto 1.0 will upgrade any components, or charge any more money. It will definitely be great to see what the BD folks are able to push later this year.

I wish there were a local Framed dealer somewhere near me, I would very much like to put my hands on an Minnesota 3.0 before my next purchase, something I can't do with a Moto.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    MN 3.0 is nice. Friend has one with the big Vee Bulldozers. Great in the snow...but I have no other fat bike experience. The square taper bottom bracket and heavy crankset is a weak point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Motobecane FB5

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyJr View Post
    The front axle is a quick release skewer instead of a bluto-friendly thru-axle. It would need replaced if a bluto is added.
    Hopefully they have the end caps available. It would suck to have to get a new wheel built for a bike supposedly bluto ready.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I ordered the FB5 2.0 yesterday from Bikes direct.com. Anyone on this forum have one yet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I decided to give one of these a try.

So far so good. Went with the 3.0 model, I believe it is a very decent bike for 900$. The frame design is very cool. I don't particularly like the post mounts for the rear brake, but this seems to be the way bike manufactures are heading.

Size 17 came up with 35.2 lbs on the digital scale with pedals out of the box. As shown, the bike is around ~33 lbs (10 speed, lighter tubes). I live out west and bash around in the rocks. Definitely a work out, but lots of fun and the thing feels indestructible.

Could easily be a 30 lbs bike if kenda would hurry up and release those Juggernaut pro's already :-)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the write-up. I'm interested to see what folks think of these, as this is kind of the 3rd generation of fat bikes out of BD. It looks as if they're starting to refine some of their design. If you get around to it, I'm interested in the wheels and rims spec'd on this. I don't think I've seen these on BD bikes before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My Moto FB5 is on its way size 15' can't wait.
    Last edited by VINTAGEDAN; 03-09-2015 at 07:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Are those the stock pedals?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Not stock pedals. BD ships it with some el cheapo plastic things (not complaining, at least they ship it with something!). I wouldn't recommend using them

The wheel set, minus the rubber is all no name generic Chinese stuff. I like the the vee rubber H-Billies so far, but this is my first fat bike so I have nothing to compare to.

mtbr member
    Wondering why BD didn't put a carbon fork on this bike
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I like the Pedals where did you get them from?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Motobecane FB5-1.jpgMotobecane FB5-2.jpgMotobecane FB5-3.jpg

update on the FB5.

I got some upgrades for the bike and some insight for others considering the bike.

The stock wheels are uhh, crap :-). Double wall rim weight, 1300+ grams , plus they are poorly assembled. I trashed a few spokes riding cross county in the desert so I decided it was time to upgrade the wheels. I have hope fatsno hubs and marge lite rims arriving Monday. I also ordered a bluto fork to try out.

The crown race was damaged during removal from the stock fork.. so no biggie right? I'll just upgrade the headset right? Wrong. It looks like motobecane used a frame specific headset on this bike. Standard headsets won't fit.

I've contacted BD on getting a new crown race replacement to go on the bluto.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Have you ridden fat bikes before this? I'm waiting for my first fattie to show up next week. I went with a Framed Minnesota 2.0. How do you like the 1x set up? I run that on my fs bike, it's the only way to ride in my eyes. That looks like a 36t nw. Have you run into any instance where you would prefer the granny gear? I never do on my fs, just wondering if I should go with it for this. Always love input! Good riding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yeah not ditch the front derailleur and granny gear for sure. Absolutely not necessary, on any bike, for any kind of riding

I wanted to further clarify my frame headset problem. I contacted bikes direct and disappointingly they were of zero help, nor do they sell replacement parts for this headset. The actual headset on the FB5 frame uses press in cups with some el' cheapo cage bearings. From my correspondence with FSA, it appears the only name brand part of the headset maybe the FSA top cap.

The inside (bottom) diameter on the FB5 headset measures 52mm across. Additionally you can only insert about 8mm before the headset tapers inwards. The only headsets I can find in 52mm are integrated style (sealed bearings, angular contact). They may work, so I ordered a cane creek bottom IS52/40. Even stumped the local bike shop as they don't know of any headset that will work on this frame...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Can theses rims and tires convert to tubeless?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hey guys, an update on the bike for anyone who is still following this.

Got a bluto on the bike finally. Had some problems, the bluto with remote lock will not clear the frame. Ended up using the 3d printer to make a crown race spacer (2.2mm). Seems to be OK, the headset is still giving me some trouble. Man the bluto is sweet, and lacing up some decent wheels on this bike saves HUGE weight. Bike actually lost weight adding the bluto and redoing the front wheel. Bike is ~33.8 lbs right now. Will be in the 32's when the rear wheel is done.

Will ride the heck out of this bike until the headtube fails or something brakes then move components to a better frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amdek View Post
    Yeah not ditch the front derailleur and granny gear for sure. Absolutely not necessary, on any bike, for any kind of riding

I wanted to further clarify my frame headset problem. I contacted bikes direct and disappointingly they were of zero help, nor do they sell replacement parts for this headset. The actual headset on the FB5 frame uses press in cups with some el' cheapo cage bearings. From my correspondence with FSA, it appears the only name brand part of the headset maybe the FSA top cap.

The inside (bottom) diameter on the FB5 headset measures 52mm across. Additionally you can only insert about 8mm before the headset tapers inwards. The only headsets I can find in 52mm are integrated style (sealed bearings, angular contact). They may work, so I ordered a cane creek bottom IS52/40. Even stumped the local bike shop as they don't know of any headset that will work on this frame...
    have you looked at this headset...

FSA Orbit C-40-ACB 1.5 Headset (No.42-ACB) | Chain Reaction Cycles
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    yeah that headset is identical spec to the cane creek one I stuck in there. Still not the best fit but it should last a while until I move parts over to another frame

Squ-eti
    Just ordered a 15" FB5!

Anyone else out there get one in yet? Thoughts?
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Reading threads like this plus experience in the bike shop is why I opted out of a Motobecane bike for my wife and went ahead and sprung for the Farley 5. $1450 (also ordered a 7 so I got a great deal) Bontrager hubs, Mulefut rims, etc.
    A MUCH better bike and the price difference is less than the retail cost of upgrading the junk wheels on that FB5.

Even at $1600 for the Farley 5, (closer to a normal retail price, the Trek MSRP online is inflated) once you factor in upgrading the wheels, other parts, plus dealer support....not hard to see through the Bikes Direct thing. They're not the "deal" they pretend to be. If you're not the type who's going to notice or care about the crappy build kits then it might be a different story. Otherwise, move on.
    Last edited by Gambit21; 06-18-2015 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Edit

Squ-eti
    Not everybody wants to spend 1600 bucks for what will be the 2nd or 3rd reached for bike in the stable. honestly 900 was more than I would have liked to spend, but everytime it seemed I settled on a bike it went out of stock.

as for the rims/width...I believe these are them (minus the drill holes). according to the drawing 93mm inner width.

˫Ȧ޹˾

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    Not everybody wants to spend 1600 bucks for what will be the 2nd or 3rd reached for bike in the stable. honestly 900 was more than I would have liked to spend, but everytime it seemed I settled on a bike it went out of stock.

as for the rims/width...I believe these are them (minus the drill holes). according to the drawing 93mm inner width.

˫Ȧ޹˾
    Of course, don't misunderstand. I'm simply pointing out that depending on who you are, your expectations and where you want to end up quality-wise, a bike like the FB5 might not be the deal you think it is. BD bikes NEVER resemble the "compare at" price from a build standpoint.

I see a lot of people buying these and upgrading a bunch of things and by the time they're done they could have had a better bike. If that isn't you, then you're not who my post was directed at.

Squ-eti
    nah, this is gonna be a play bike. got more important things to stress about than finding orange pedals to match my frame. ride it hard, have fun, put it away wet and muddy...and not worry about til the next time I pull it out of the garage. plan to keep it stock til the wheels (or some other part) falls off lol.

Squ-eti
    My FB5 3.0 came in yesterday! This is my first fat bike experience...

Motobecane FB5-11403009_10207347514954530_3923033349645779621_n.jpg

I got the 15", I'm 5'6" with a 31" inseam and I can't raise the seat high enough to be right for me without being over the minimum insertion line. Something to consider cause it's listed as being right for 5'5" to 5'8". The reach is spot on though.

Here's a first ride report:

the self steer at low tire pressures on pavement is SCARY!

wheels don't feel nearly as heavy as expected. actually the entire bike doesn't feel as heavy as expected. of course the sun ringle chargers/ardent 2.4s on the 29er ain't exactly light either so...

Anyone know what size tubes are in there? Hoping to change to something smaller/lighter.

also more nimble than expected (when you don't let too much air out of the tires). actually dips and dives through tight singletrack better than the 29er. gonna account that to the steeper head angle and less tall front end (no suspension).

there's a section of the trails where I ride along the railroad tracks. normally that means crossing the tracks and riding where the railroad trucks drive cause it's mostly hardpack. yesterday I went full beast mode on the other side which is several feet of loose rocks. never sunk in. was able to keep a good pace and momentum. this was the most eye opening and fun section to highlight what the fatbike is capable of.

the trails mostly sucked yesterday. overgrown with jagger and poison ivy, downed trees, muddy corners, but the bike was ridiculously fun! can't wait to get it up in the mountains in the rocks!!!

Squ-eti
    For anyone interested here is my review of the Motobecane FB5 3.0 thus far...

Components

I've had issues with the Avid bb3's...getting them set-up, getting them to have decent stopping power, and especially getting them to not squeal like a banshee. I've had a set of bb7's on another bike for years with no issues. So far not a big fan of the bb3's.

The X5 drivetrain...not as crisp shifting as the X7's I have on another bike. Deal breaker? Not really as long as they hold up. The 2x10 drivetrain is geared exactly the same as my 29er which I have no issues with so no concerns there. Geared low enough to climb up a wall, but high enough to not be spinning out on downhill or road sections.

The wheels...not light for sure but plenty wide and seem sturdy enough. Not digging the double walled rims though. Once they get filled with water it's nearly impossible to get out. So far I'm liking the H-billie tires. At the right pressures they're grippy when they need to be, and they roll fairly well for a big, burly tire. There's some self steer at lower pressures, but nothing that can't be overcome.

The cockpit...the stylo bits are nice. My only complaint is that Motobecane recommended the 15" frame size for 5'3" to 5'8"...I'm 5'6" and can't get the seatpost high enough without exceeding the minimum insertion line. Put a longer seatpost on this bike!

The ride...pure joy! or at least it will be when I get the bugs worked out. As is it's still a ton of fun. Alot more nimble than I expected (awesome for east coast singletrack), but don't expect laidback, lean back and blow through anything handling that modern hardtails are trending towards. Riding through the stuff that fatbikes were intended for...sand, rocks, grass...hasn't snowed yet so I can't say for that...but everything else it rolls right through with ease. Overall I think Motobecane has other fat bikes in their lineup that maybe better values than the FB5, but it was everything I wanted and was looking for, down to the color.

Squ-eti
    anyone know why these have disappeared from the BikeDirect website?

hoping it's not because of an issue because I'm loving my FB5 3.0, and
    can't wait for it to start snowing...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi - no problems other than having sold out of them faster than we could get more
    We might have a limited shipment coming back instock soon though

Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    anyone know why these have disappeared from the BikeDirect website?

hoping it's not because of an issue because I'm loving my FB5 3.0, and
    can't wait for it to start snowing...

Squ-eti
    Quote Originally Posted by joebikesdirect View Post
    Hi - no problems other than having sold out of them faster than we could get more
    Good news, thank you!

well if they sold out there's gotta be other FB5 owners out there...maybe we can get this thread to pick-up a bit.

I've been wondering what the biggest tire was that would fit in the frame/fork. I know it says 5"(and based on the clearance with the stock h-billie 4.25 it looks like it could easily), which to me means it should fit the bigger 4.8's...bud/lou, snowshoe xl...what I'm really wondering if anyone has tried to cram a snowshoe 2xl into it.

the h-billie's have been good tires for summer riding, but for winter I'm looking for something with more float and aggressive tread.

Squ-eti
    Ordered a set of Snowshoe xl's to mount up for the winter. The h-billies were great summer tires, fast rolling, never washed out in a turn, but I wanted something bigger with a more aggressive tread for winter (next summer I'm thinking about getting some wheels with 65mm rims and a set of h-billie folding tires for summer riding on the fattie) . Pretty excited to get these beasts mounted!!!

Squ-eti
    Got a pair of Snowshoe XL's mounted up today in place of the stock wire bead h-billies.

I liked the h-billies for summer riding. they rolled fairly well, and had enough grip for most situations. my reasons for going to the XL's were that the bike could fit them so why not? and I didn't think that the h-billies were going to be very good in the snow.

Snowshoe XL weights: 3 lb 4 oz, 3 lb 6 oz
    H-billie weights (after 5 months of wear): 3 lb 3 oz, 3 lb 3 oz

so a 4 oz difference, but I drained out 4 ounces of Stans from
    the tubes because I didn't feel like it was contributing anything
    to the cause.

basically gained about a half inch of width, an inch of diameter, and no weight.

Call me crazy, and these tires may still stretch a bit overnight, but it looks like there would have been clearance for the 2XL's!!!

Motobecane FB5-img_1237.jpg

Motobecane FB5-img_1238.jpg

Motobecane FB5-img_1239.jpg

Motobecane FB5-img_1240.jpg

Motobecane FB5-img_1241.jpg

Motobecane FB5-img_1242.jpg

Motobecane FB5-img_1243.jpg
    Last edited by mccartney7499; 11-06-2015 at 05:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Is the standover height really as advertised? 825.3 for medium. That's 32.5" and sounds like a nut cruncher to me. I hope to put 2XL Snowshoes on, raising it even more.

Squ-eti
    Vee Rubber Snow Shoe 2XL : Fatter Than Your Mom *ouch* | Electric-FatBike.com

well that question has been answered. The FB5 can fit the new Snowshoe 2XL. Though, after spending some time pedaling around with the XL's I couldn't imagine wanting or needing anything bigger. In fact I think the XL's are overkill in most situations.

mtbr member
    First post in these forums! I'm a commuter in KC MO and have been riding and wrenching on road bikes for the past 5 years, so I have very limited MTB experience. But I rode a pugsley about a year ago and have been dreaming about fat bikes since then!

Just ordered the FB5 2.0... I've been eyeing quite a few different fat bikes and the deal this weekend was just too good to pass up. I'll let everybody know what I think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Has anyone gotten the Snowshoe 2XLs to fit in the rear? I bought a 2XL and got it on the front of my frame but haven't taken the time to check out the rear. I'm actually using an SE F@R frame but I think that's the same as a Fuji Wendigo and fb5 frame.

mtbr member
    Anyone still riding their FB5? Thinking about ordering one from BikeIsland...I'm 6'8" and the geo looks about perfect for me. Any complaints, concerns, changes, ect...?

mtbr member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squ-eti
    My frame cracked, at the seat stays, just below the welded brace.

I contacted Bikesdirect and they offered to warranty/replace frame. But after the costs of paying to ship the old frame to them for inspection/paying to ship the new frame to me/costs to have old parts removed at bike shop/cost to have parts installed at bike shop/and costs to replace any non compatible parts between the frame I figured costs around 350-500 bucks. Seemed like a lot to replace a warranty frame.

I haven't sent the frame in yet. Not sure what I'm gonna do. Might just save up for a new bike.

Was a good bike before that...except my rear hub was failing (hub body cracked causing one of the pawls to not stay in place), the stock brakes suck (replaced with shimano hydros), the headset sucks (when I took it apart I found the lower bearings in 3 pieces).

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    How many miles did you have on your frame and how brutally do you ride? I've ridden mine for 1200 miles of gnarly singletrack so far and it's still good as ever.

Squ-eti
    I had 1250 miles on the frame when I noticed the crack. I bought it mostly for riding in snow, but ended up using it year round. I didn't ride it anywhere, on anything I didn't think any bicycle I've ever owned could handle. Crap, I've got a Yeti ARC from 1999 that I've ridden a lot harder for a lot longer, and it's still going strong...

For the record, I loved the frame...if I could pick up another FB5 frame, or Fuji Wendigo frame, or SE F@R frame I would in a heartbeat. Great geometry, fit me like a glove...I am the sadness

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    No need to be the sadness! I have a full-suspension carbon fat frame from ICAN Sports in China which has served me super-well. I also have a 29er from them and am consistently amazed by the quality and customer service coming right out of their factory and sales team. They have a cool fat bike carbon frame (SN01) that runs for around $450-550 with very similar geometry to the FB5. Pro tip - don't order off eBay, contact them directly, ask for a quote on 2 in 1 box, and then sell one. You'll save on shipping plus get a bulk price. I'm not affiliated with them, I'm just speaking from my own experience here.

SN01 Fat bike frame BB shell 120mm - Shenzhen ICAN Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I got my FB5 3.0 like 5 months ago from BikeIsland (their "liquidation" site) for a little more than $700 (incl. taxes because they have a warehouse in FL). Apparently mehlertmj found a way to buy it from the BikesDirect site even though I can't find it anymore unless using his link. The bike begs for some upgrades but for my use (soft sand everywhere in Central Florida) what I find it more lacking off is a bigger chainring. Looks like the chainstay dimple can fit perhaps a 42-44T but I haven't got the legs for that just yet. I'm trying out a russian 39T in 15% eliptical @ the 104 BCD position of the factory Samox TAF26 and I'm hanging there most of the time at the 11T rear. Raceface Chesters made a big difference in pedals and my butt is oh so thankful of the Ergon SMC3 saddle. Sometimes I drive to the crazy fun MTB parks near here (Santos, Balm Boyette et al) and found I needed more braking power so I updated to BB7's and 200/180 front/back HS1 rotors. Crazy braking power. Looking hard at updating BB + Crankset + Rear hub but can't find anything I like that's not CRAZY expensive (Sram Eagle...).
    Hey mccartney7499! Have you checked out their new frame only with the Bluto offer? Save up to 60% off new Rockshox Bluto Equipped Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Bullet frames
    What you have is not an excuse to be sad but to UPGRADE!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hectorlandaeta View Post
    Looking hard at updating BB + Crankset + Rear hub but can't find anything I like that's not CRAZY expensive (Sram Eagle...).
    I'm not sure why you would want to upgrade the rear hub, but I would definitely upgrade the Crankset. I got a Race Face Aeffect 175mm crankset for 190mm rear spacing and am loving it. I got a Race Face direct mount cinch 38T chainring and the whole thing slid right into my Samox BB. The crankset/chainring combo will set you back about $160.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=hectorlandaeta;13264894 Apparently mehlertmj found a way to buy it from the BikesDirect site even though I can't find it anymore unless using his link. [/QUOTE]

I email BD asking about fit and (Chris) told me he would make me a deal on a new FB5, because I was asking about the one on BikeIsland. Long story short, they still have them, but don't advertise them. If you google FB5 3.0 an add will show up from BD and that's the link.

I agree with everyone here on the brakes. They are less than favorable and will be upgraded before winter. As far as cranks, would the GX be much of an upgrade for the money? Jenson has them for $159 (11 speed) and $104 (10 speed).

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah, the thing is that I really like the russian eliptical chainrings and I believe nobody else does them over 39T at 104 BCD. What I was thinking is on going smaller in the cassette. I believe Sram is the only one that makes a 10T but you have to change the rear hub to a XD driver compatible.

mtbr member
    @hectorlandaet

When you do, lets see some pics!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Sure. Will do. But in the funnel the first thing in is a couple of Vee Apache Slicks. Price came down abruptly this week. Check them out: 1 or 2 PAK Vee Apache Fatty Slick 26" x 4.5" Fat Folding Tire Bike Tubeless able
    I almost punctured a sidewall some time ago (have to stop riding over RR sleepers) and now my front H-Billie has an ugly bulge. I've rode like 300 miles with it that way (rocks, roots and small jumps included) so I'm pretty confident it won't go but I'm lusting for those slicks since they where almost $50 more expensive. For my kind of riding they'll be great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    has anyone figured out a headset upgrade for the fb5?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by darkside212 View Post
    has anyone figured out a headset upgrade for the fb5?
    I don't have an fb5, but I have an SE Bikes F@R which is the same frame. I use carbon spacers and a headset from aliexpress, no troubles. Here's what I run: headset and spacers

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Did you have to press the bearings in?

I've tried a couple FSA c-40 and they just slid in

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The headset is one of the last parts I would look to upgrade in any bike. Why would you do it? Did your's come out of whack? Are you fitting a suspension fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    yes I damaged the crown race. It's usable, but I'd like to replace at least the bottom headset.

mtbr member
    Should be the same headset as a Fuji Wendigo too.

FSA NO. 42B, 1 1/8" semi-integrated, caged bearings

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I cannot find a 42B they're sold as the 42/ c-40. I tried a couple (52mm OD) and they are not the right OD for the ID of the head tube (they just fall out).

mtbr member
    Interesting...

Have you tried this one?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m...-/rp-prod84328

If that's doesn't work, I would check a local Fuji dealer and see if they can help you out. Or contact FSA direct, which I may do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't think that will work as you need a semi integrated / zero stack (zs) style headset. I have a few emails out with dealers for Fuji, and SE. When I hear something I'll let you know.

thanks

mtbr member
    Sounds good. I messaged FSA. Hopefully they respond.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Try calling Cane Creek direct, they should be able to help. Super friendly to boot.

mtbr member
    This is from FSA:

The No. 42.B is the retainer bearing verions headset of the Orbit C-40 ACB headset. It is mostly only used as an OEM ( Original Manufactures Equipment) type headset to help keep the total cost of the bike within a certain price point.

This means that we only have the upgraded Orbit C-40 ACB after market headset available. The upgrade would be to sealed cartridge bearings, instead of the open retainer bearings that are used on the No.42B. And it will require the removal of the No.42B cups to make room for the Orbit C-40 ACB cartridge bearings. Below is the part # for the Orbit C-40 ACB headset.

121-0514 Orbit C-40-ACB Integrated Headset {H2094A} 7.8/9.1mm Black NO.42/ACB-A Alloy Race IS42/28.6 (45/45) | IS52.1/39.78 (36/45)

Most bike shops can order the headset. Also with the headset cups removed, double check that the inside diameter is 42mm top and 52.1 mm bottom inside diameter. Just in case the model of the headset used is not really an No.42 B.

Hope this helps,

Brys Fleming-Henning Warranty/ Tech
    Full Speed Ahead
    12212 Cyrus Way
    Mukilteo, WA 98275
    425-488-8653 ext. Warranty/ Tech

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Good to know info.

mtbr member
    Do you have one ordered yet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Heads up guys! Just finished an email exchange with Justin at BikeIsland and he says there's no derailleur hangers for our bikes ANYWHERE! I bent mine in a fall the other day and instead of straightening it was looking for a replacement (not just lazy but previsionary!). There's no hangers like the ones in the FB 5 to be had in any of the usual places (derailleurhanger.com, wheelsmfg.com, pilo.co, et al). Being that their purpose is to be a sacrifice part I'm kinda concerned. Any of you guys know of a source other than the mentioned?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    try a fuji or SE dealer as the wendigo, and F@R are the same frame

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    And neither hanger can be found for those! Already tried that. For online dealers, that is. I mean, who goes to a store to buy things?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    try pscycles.com

I had emailed them in regards to the headset and they were willing to help, but I found the info here first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by darkside212 View Post
    try pscycles.com
    Thanks! That one looked promising but no, at least in their web page catalog they don't have it.
    Found out it looks VERY similar to the brand new (and carbon) Fuji Wendigo 26 1.1. I'll post a pic of the part soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    just a little update on the headset. I ordered the above FSA 121-0514 from Ebay and it didn't fit; I'm not sure but I think a lot on ebay are counterfeit. I ordered 5 fsa headsets now and all were not as described IE the od of the lower bearing did not match the description.

so I found 2 lower cane creek bearings:
    cane creek 10
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    cane creek 40
    crown race

The 10 is the cheapest bearing they make, but it is WAY better than the stock FSA garbage that is on the bike. I did a short 7mi ride last night with a lot of drops, climbs, and rocks.