mtbr member

Motobecane FB4 and a Bluto, will it fit and what do I need?

I have 15 inch Motobecane FB4 elite...will a bluto hit the down tube? It has a 44mm zero stack headset so I know I need the adaptor head set...what do I need...is there anyone out there selling packages? Where to find the cheepest? Its a sub 1k bike, I do not want to drop a grand to put a fork on it....any help would be great.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

Loser
    You will need a new hub, spokes, headset and the fork itself - probably not a grand if you reuse your existing rim, but it will be close. I have no idea if there would be interference, can't help there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The Bluto will fit into the FB4 steering tube? I'm not so sure on that, but I don't have my bike here to look at.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    FB4 is 1 1/8 straight headset. Bluto is only available tapered.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That's what I thought. Was hoping I was thinking wrong secretly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bro View Post
    FB4 is 1 1/8 straight headset. Bluto is only available tapered.
    Actually, there might be hope? New headset allows use of tapered steerers in some 1-1/8in head tubes - BikeRadar

Does the FB4 have a straight 44mm headtube bore?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bro View Post
    Actually, there might be hope? New headset allows use of tapered steerers in some 1-1/8in head tubes - BikeRadar

Does the FB4 have a straight 44mm headtube bore?
    Dude that article is from 2010 we've been running tapered forks on 44mm headtubes for a long time now

mtbr member
    go to 4:12 and you see the head tube is a 44mm (zero stack)...

and this is one of the 44mm to tapered kits...

Tapered Fork on a non-Tapered headtube install - YouTube

The main question, will the fork crown hit the down tube on a 15 inch fb4?

Second question, is there someone that is putting togather a fit kit( package) that might be cheeper all togather?....if so...who?

Sorry if this sounds cheep, but I hate to dump another grand in to a sub one grand bike....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You can buy the Sturgis for 1300. Then you'll have a spare for a buddy or sell the FB4 for 500.

mtbr member
    well...I found this....

Freewheel Bike Bluto Upgrade Kit - Freewheel Bike Shop - Minneapolis - Twin Cities - St. Paul

and these guys have the cheepest bluto's I have seen....

RockShox Bluto Fatbike Fork - Freewheel Bike Shop - Minneapolis - Twin Cities - St. Paul

As for selling the fb4....its already an upgraded elite...I have gone tubless with knards and I have an upgraded cogstack....getting the sturgis would be a step down.

mtbr member
    As far as the fit of the BLUTO on the FB4 frame...I think it will work. Pull up the side shots of the Lurch and FB4 side by side and take a look at the clearance of the down tube relative to the bottom of the headtube. BD stated that the BLUTO did not clear the down tube of the Lurch by 2mm. When you look at how much more room there already is on the FB4 frame and factor in that the conversion headset is going to add another 5-7 mm of stack height below the bottom of the head tube, there should be all kinds of room. BD has been stating that they're planning on coming out with additional wheelsets for the 150/190 mm bikes soon. Maybe they'll have BLUTO compatible wheels for sale soon. They already have FB4 comp and FB4 Elite wheelsets for sale cheep on their sister Bike Island site...one could hope that they'll have something soon too.

mtbr member
    Thank you...The fit is the bigest problem and I was thinking the adaptor lower head set would help with that. You would think that more bike retailers would see the need for adaptor "kits" for the bluto's on non oem bikes....could just be where I live. In north jerzy the guys that cut trails tend to run the trails towards and big rock sections as they will not need as much follow up work. North NJ is just a huge pile rocks with 6 inches of top soil. Cut a trail and in a couple months its nothing but babyheads. 2-3 inches of tire suspension may be ok for someplaces but around here it just does not cut it for me.

Sooo, there are no FB4 owners out there with Blutos.....interesting.

mtbr member

I would love a bluto, but it seems that the costs are rising beyond the cost to get a different BD bike.

Would the Mendon Cyclesmith lefty fork be less expensive?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post

The main question, will the fork crown hit the down tube on a 15 inch fb4?
    Does someone have a diagram of the Bluto the provides all of the crown dimensions? That would help several of us out who are trying to determine whether a Bluto will fit our frame. Then a stretch goal of 3D printing the crown along with a 1.5 bottom cup to use as a mock build before buying.

mtbr member
    well you have to find a lefty($=?)......then you need the clamps($=$250)....and you need to biuld a wheel on a lefty hub ($=?).....ends up being real close in price and cheep lefty's seem to be tough to find at least around me.....

mtbr member

The night train bullet looks better and better.

mtbr member
    The least expensive way I could think of...sell your Elite, and putting that cash on a Sturgis. You will end up with a Bluto, a slicker looking frame and better overall build.

$600 for your Elite. Then, the only cash needed is basically what you would of been spending for that Bluto alone...or abouts.
    DB Overdrive Pro (MTB)
    TREK 2.3c (Road)
    MASI Custom (Coffee Bike )
    Mercier (Gravel Bike)

Sycamore Area Cycling

mtbr member
    With all the problems I have been having with the bb and freehub, not sure I would call these bikes a bargan anymore....how the heck do you kill a bb in a season?...same with a free hub?

mtbr member

No problems here.

Motobecane FB4 and a Bluto, will it fit and what do I need?-img_20140627_200245_208.jpg

All I can say, I have one from the first batch. It's my only MTB, so it gets ridden all the time.

I can say...

I have not had any issues. Not with the fork, free hub, bb or tires...hell, not even with the stock pedals. Still using those too, and other then some cosmetic charges and along with the end of the season tire upgrade.

My bike is bone stock.

The tires that replaced my V Mission's were the Floaters. (Not in this photo) and I will confess...the floaters are a far superior tire and the ultimate tire deal. Still, I used those mission's until spring, and survived.

So, I don't know. The only thing that would make me believe that the Fb4 wasn't such a good deal anymore is the fact, for the same money BD, is selling better equipped bikes like the Boris or Lurch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So, as it appears the FB4 has a 44mm headtube and there are headsets that can allow a tapered fork into a non tapered 44mm heeadtube, the only questions that I am wondering are:

1) does the Bluto fork have enough clearance? ( I think it will probably work)

2) How would a 100mm or 120mm fork affect the geometry of the FB4?

I have an orange FB4 and I've upgraded a lot of the stock parts, because I had a bunch of stuff laying around from another build I never completed. I was thinking of adding a Bluto and riding it for awhile and then shop around for a new frame at some point next year. I could always ride the bike as it, without the new Bluto, but I thought it might be fun if it didn't ruin the bike's handling.

Thoughts?

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nail Every Trail View Post
    1) does the Bluto fork have enough clearance? ( I think it will probably work)
    Looks fine based on eyeballin pics. You can measure it yourself. From the center of the headtube to the downtube, dropped about a half inch from the bottom of the headtube. I'd guess the Bluto crown for 200mm outside to outside, so if you get 4 or more inches you ought to be fine. edit- it's probably more than 200mm. ask somebody who has one to be sure. 2nd edit- I found it in "New Bluto Thread". "8 5/8 wide", so 4 1/2 should be good.

2) How would a 100mm or 120mm fork affect the geometry of the FB4?
    BD lists the headangle at 69.5 with fork length of 470. The 100mm Bluto is 511, so low to mid 480's sagged. I'd estimate that would slack it less than a degree. You probably wouldn't even notice.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    cool...thanks....and for those that commented on repacking of the bearings....well, I do not know what to say...I bought my bike used...I have no idea what was done with it...But I did have to repack all the wheel bearing and the rear freehub...I am pretty sure the freehub is a replacement as it is not alloy( as the spec say)....every thing was rusty in the bearings.....I have a feeling that the person that bought the bike used a high pressure hose to clean the bike/ He used the water pressure to push water into the beartings ,,,the bb bearings are shot but repacked...so they work but I will replace them soon...the free hub locked upen but I relubed it( pia) and it seems to be working but I do not trust it. I think it is a replacement because it is black metal and I have seen shots of an alloy body on the elite.....I do not know is it bikesdirect or poor ownership.....Love the fb4 regardless....

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    So was there ever any word on the Bluto fitting the FB4 as far as clearing the downtube?