mtbr member

Motobecane Fantom FB vs Puglsey vs Mukluk

I have been reading all these threads for a while now and its all become a bit of a jumble in my brain.

I am looking to get one of these fatties in the very near future. I was drooling over the Moonlander but I donít think I will be able to afford one or find one used cheap enough. Not to mention do I really need one?

How much more versatile are the 3.8Ē tire bikes vs the 4.7?
    Anyone have experience riding all three?

I am leaning towards a Surly fattie whichever one it ends up being (Pug, Neck or Moonie) for one main reason the steel frame. In my experience (road bikes) steel always trumps aluminum. Does the often harsh ride of aluminum or the supple ride of steel transfer into fat bikes as well?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post
    Does the often harsh ride of aluminum or the supple ride of steel transfer into fat bikes as well?
    Yes. However it's not quite as night and day as it is on a road bike, but it is still noticeable.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The tires are big enough with low pressures you won't know the difference unless you are riding the arrowhead 130. I have a Pug build up with large marge lites, 1x9 , 120tpi nates and it still weights 33 lbs.
    Long story short, buy something that is light and won't rust.

mtbr member
    Do yourself a favor: buy used.

Pugsley is great. It's bulletproof, it's easy to get most parts for. And the resale is pretty good, so if you get a used one for $1000, provided you don't beat the crap out of it you'll be able to sell it for about the same if you hate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Yes. However it's not quite as night and day as it is on a road bike, but it is still noticeable.
    +1 - despite the fat tires these are still rigid bikes that bounce you around unless you are riding on really soft surfaces.

How much more versatile are the 3.8Ē tire bikes vs the 4.7?
    A Pugs will take 4" tires on 65mm - 100mm rims and 4.7" Big Fat Larries on up to 82mm rims as well as 29+ Knards on Rabbit Holes. You can run it SS/IGH/derailleurs.

The Moonlander gives you clearance for the big 4.7" knobbies on 100mm rims, but the 28mm offset doesn't play as nice with narrower rims.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies.

Yeah finding a used one will be ideal. Though I might be able to get a new one for close to cost. If I can run 4.7 on a Pugs then that pretty much settles it. Will I be able to mount them on the stock rims?

How about 10 speed components will I be able to fit them and have them work on the fat bikes? I have some 10 speed SLX stuff laying around so I might as well use it, unless the bike comes with Sram.

I donít mind getting bounced around a bit, I just want to be able to ride in the snow. I have my Bronson for all my XC/AM/FR riding this will be just a cruise around for fun and training in the winter and on the beach bike. Road riding in the winter is ok on nice days, but I want to ride during the magical white outs. For years now every time I see a fattie tracks or riding in the snow I look on wantingly. My puny 2.4 tires make me feel inadequate in the winter. I want to want no more and be the one making the fat tracks.

mtbr member
    Yeah finding a used one will be ideal. Though I might be able to get a new one for close to cost. If I can run 4.7 on a Pugs then that pretty much settles it. Will I be able to mount them on the stock rims?
    4.7" Big Fat Larry tires will fit a Pugs on the stock rims. The knobby Surly 4.7" tires won't fit in the rear. Special Ed is supposed to be coming out with a 4.6" knobby which may well fit the rear of the Pugs, but we need to confirm that.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    On the used Puglsey--I just bought one for wife--$1,000 but I did change out the 100mm rims on it for 80mm and put dillingers (4 inch studded) on it for her--just fits the frame better, and 4 inches of tire will be fine for her. The 100mm rims had troubles clearing the brake rotors taking them on/off, and the 80mm rims slide in and out no problem (both with 4 inch tires).

For the summer, I will probably put the 3.8 knards on for her, although she does have a full suspension bike.