Page 91 of 99 FirstFirst ... 41 81 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2460
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Mission 4.0 measure true. There was a misunderstanding on th Snowshoes that lead to them having an undersized casing compared to the larger one that was desired.

The Mission tire have shallow tread that makes them not work well for snow. They work well on medium to hardback with the exception that they have lots of selfsteer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was thinking the exact same thing, car_nut.

Hmmm... makes the Lurch seem like a better value to me. For an extra bill, the Sturgis has thru axles but a lower end drivetrain and Tektro brakes. The Bullet versions seem worthwhile since I doubt a Bluto can be had anywhere else cheaper.

mtbr member
    I am new to the fatbike world and plan on getting one for this up coming winter, the motobecanes look really nice, I want to keep the price around 800, which of these bikes would be best for me? also im a pretty big guy 6'1'' 240, what would you recommend between the Boris x5/x7 ,lurch or fantom fb4.

thanks

siv
    mtbr member
    At your weight the thru axles of Sturgis or Night Train would be nice but not at your price point, you can swing the Boris X9 at $799.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Would the price $300 from Lurch to Night Train be worth it for the better RD, thru axles, and brakes?

Keep in mind I am an idiot, and probably wouldn't notice, but don't have a lot of patience.

The idea of Bluto-ready, or even Bluto-equipped is appealing though. And the mid-Aug vs mid-Oct delivery dates are brutal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Would the price $300 from Lurch to Night Train be worth it for the better RD, thru axles, and brakes?

Keep in mind I am an idiot, and probably wouldn't notice, but don't have a lot of patience.

The idea of Bluto-ready, or even Bluto-equipped.
    AFAIK, try spending $300 and see what you get in the aftermarket... good luck.
    Where there is a hill, there's a way!

siv
    mtbr member
    So just go to the Sturgis, only $100 more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by siv View Post
    At your weight the thru axles of Sturgis or Night Train would be nice but not at your price point, you can swing the Boris X9 at $799.
    So your saying not to waste my money a less expensive bike and just go for a sturgis then?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    And from the BD website...there will be 29+ wheelsets available for the Sturgis and Night Train...if that's your sort of thing
    Just to be clear, "NOTE: We will be selling 29er wheels that are compatible with these 150/190mm thru-axle frames" says to me that they will be standard 29er wheelsets, not 29+. If they would offer 29+ I would be very interested though. I wonder what rim they would use?

mtbr member

Re: Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Just to be clear, "NOTE: We will be selling 29er wheels that are compatible with these 150/190mm thru-axle frames" says to me that they will be standard 29er wheelsets, not 29+. If they would offer 29+ I would be very interested though. I wonder what rim they would use?
    Good catch. I stand corrected. My hope is that they would offer 29+ wheelsets for these framesets. I would like to use it for trails as well as my commute to work.
    Last edited by OnThaCouch; 1 Week Ago at 11:38 AM.

MTB Fanatic
    I contacted BD on the Sturgis/Night Train tire clearance. Chris from BD said that "true" 4.8 inch tires will fit.
    Nathan

siv
    mtbr member
    I'm no expert and haven't seen any of the bikes it's just my thought. It's hard to have a budget and then jump $300. Personally I'd at least go with the X9 Boris because it's specked nice and within your budget.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What are the benefits of Thru Axels? Every bike I have ever had did not have these. I live in S.Florida so bike will only be ridden on the trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpcgamer View Post
    What are the benefits of Thru Axels? Every bike I have ever had did not have these. I live in S.Florida so bike will only be ridden on the trails.
    I was researching this last night and it appears the axles are beefier/thicker. To take the wheel off it seems you have to pull the axle out.

Gary

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Sturgis Bullet vs Night Train Bullet

So I'm looking at both the bullets (Sturgis and the Night Train) and I'm wondering if the extra 2 bills is worth going for the Night Train?

You're getting X7/X9 components for the Night Train (why not straight X9?) and the new SRAM Guild Disc Brake system. These are suppose to be comparable to XT-R Disc Brakes, but there are three levels: R, RS, and RSC. The one that comes with the night train is the middle of the road RS. The RSC has a ball bearing that makes the lever action super smooth.

I do like the Boris X9 and would buy that if it had Bluto, but with the price difference I can buy the Bluto at almost MSRP (800 vs 1500). Is the Boris X9 Bluto Ready?

Also, any notable frame difference between the Sturgis and Night Train?
    I wish they listed the weight of these bikes as that would make or break
    a decision to go with one over the other.

At least all the rims are single walled.

Gary

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    ^^^ Indeed a tough call without the complete specs... on top of that I'm also trying to decide if I even need/want the Bluto fork, so I'm also considering the Lurch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm in the same boat, rdub315. The main differences between Lurch and Night Train are the brakes, and I don't know if one is better than the other, the lack of thru axle on Lurch, and of course the NT is bluto-equipped. Obviously Lurch is steel too.

And the NT is out two months later. Not sure if those are really worth the extra $300.

Though if the spec differences are important, that $300 is a tiny price to pay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    I'm in the same boat, rdub315. The main differences between Lurch and Night Train are the brakes, and I don't know if one is better than the other, the lack of thru axle on Lurch, and of course the NT is bluto-equipped. Obviously Lurch is steel too.

And the NT is out two months later. Not sure if those are really worth the extra $300.

Though if the spec differences are important, that $300 is a tiny price to pay.
    I've been reading about the new SRAM Guide brakes and I'm impressed, but the reviews have been of the RSC (not the RS that comes with the NT). They usually bring out a better version a few months later so I wouldn't be surprised if another version of the NT comes out with straight X9 components and RSC Guide Disc Brakes from SRAM. At least they come with the 180mm disc rather than the standard 160mm ones.

mtbr member
    Now do you think for the extra 200 is it really better to go with the Sturgis over the Boris? to me I say yes, which is why im 99% sure im going with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Now do you think for the extra 200 is it really better to go with the Sturgis over the Boris? to me I say yes, which is why im 99% sure im going with it.
    Hard to say. Depends on how you value tire size. I'd suggest you look at the Lurch as well. Boris-level components with Sturgis tires at $899.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Snowshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    I contacted BD on the Sturgis/Night Train tire clearance. Chris from BD said that "true" 4.8 inch tires will fit.
    The XL snowshoe and Lou are similar. I'm skeptical because the Night Train page states [fits most 4.8 tires]. Bud and Lou are the only 4.8 that I know of. Look at the difference here/ Reg Snowshoe compared to 4.8 snowshoe XL both on 100 mm rims .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-xlvssnowshoe_zps084fa8c5.jpg  

mtbr member
    check out the pics, there is a HUGE amount of space between the fork and the tire. the rear is a little harder to tell from the pics but i don't think you'll have any trouble.
    Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-screen-shot-2014-07-16-11.58.26-pm.png

anyone know if the Bud/Lou will fit on the Boris?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The front is not an issue. Bluto accepts 4.8. I just hope it works in the rear. I'm still trying to make up my mind also.
    They are making it sound like there are many 4.8 tires to choose and most will fit. There is only one rear specific and that is the Lou/Bud. I don't think the XL is out yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've been waiting a long time for the Sturgis/NightTrain specs to come out. I'm set on the Night Train. Definitely worth the $200 extra for the all-new GUIDE RS brakes, 120TPI tires, and the one-level higher RD/Shifters. Wished the NIghtTrain had a mid-cage derailleur and the X9 shifters like the Lurch.

My only dillema: Do I get the Bluto or not?

I first got interested in getting a fat bike due to winter riding. But I see so many guys riding their fat bikes into the summer because they're so much fun. I don't want to regret getting the rigid, having to spend another $700 on the Bluto later.

Any of you see issues with riding with a Bluto through the winter? Or should I get the Bluto, and then hope to get a rigid fork right away for the winter?

Also..I want the purple, but that's only available rigid, and not in the Bluto.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    I've been waiting a long time for the Sturgis/NightTrain specs to come out. I'm set on the Night Train. Definitely worth the $200 extra for the all-new GUIDE RS brakes, 120TPI tires, and the one-level higher RD/Shifters. Wished the NIghtTrain had a mid-cage derailleur and the X9 shifters like the Lurch.

My only dillema: Do I get the Bluto or not?

I first got interested in getting a fat bike due to winter riding. But I see so many guys riding their fat bikes into the summer because they're so much fun. I don't want to regret getting the rigid, having to spend another $700 on the Bluto later.

Any of you see issues with riding with a Bluto through the winter? Or should I get the Bluto, and then hope to get a rigid fork right away for the winter?

Also..I want the purple, but that's only available rigid, and not in the Bluto.
    Neons97: I'd go with the bluto because once you get your bike, you're gonna wish you had spent the $300 on the bluto. If you decide to go rigid (which I doubt), you can easily sell it for $300 and get your money back.

I'm really excited about the new GUIDE RS brakes (wished it was the RSC trim though) with the 180mm rotors and the bluto.

Why would you pick the Night Train over the Sturgis?
    Gary

Page 91 of 99 FirstFirst ... 41 81 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast