Page 5 of 154 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I agree with above. It seems that many naysayers like to compare the bikes to more expensive bikes, which BD kind of invites by the way their msrp is inflated. Even with that said, if you compare the bikes to others costing the same, they seem to offer a real value. I have not purchased one, but they have some good deals on the spec sheets.
    I like the idea of supporting an LBS, but if a $695 fat bike allows someone to get in to one that otherwise they would not be able to afford , then I think that is great.
    Also, any shop that has worthy mechanics will still service your bike, even if you didn't buy it there.
    Buy a $30 Park tool bike mechanics manual and you should be able to do most minor work yourself. It's cheap and rewarding .
    Is the 695 mb going to be as good as a Mukluk or a Pugsley? I would say no, but a reasonable person shouldn't have that expectation.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post
    $399 fat bike? Wow.
    I'm betting the $399 fat bike will be a single speed. Which might be a great deal since a lot of us have shifters, derailleurs, cassette's, etc. in our bins at home. No sense in paying for low end comps on the $700 bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I would like to try out one of these fat bikes. Its hard to beat the price for a starter fat bike.

I can not decide between the comp ($695) and the Elite ($895). Is the $200 price difference worth it at that point?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Since the top of the line BD bike is essentially a rebadged Diamant Mammut:
    We got a massive (140 pages+) general fatbike thread over at the Norwegian MTB forum, where we constantly add info about testing, development, etc. Just added info about our new 895g 103mm rims. In addition, one of our customers just mounted Bud/Lou with fork/frame/chain clearance on our MK2 bikes, etc. (on page 140)
    [terrengsykkel.no] Arena - Er fat-bike et bra konsept?
    For those few of you not well versed in the Norwegian language, run the page(s) through Google translate for a semi-accurate translation of the Norse alphabet soup.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Do you have the geometry numbers for the various frame sizes listed anywhere?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Do you have the geometry numbers for the various frame sizes listed anywhere?
    Indeed:
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was thinking the same thing. But after looking at some of the specs I just went with the top end one. The folding bead tires are about 1 1/2 lbs lighter than the wire. And the drive components and brakes are a little better, I figured it would be worth the extra coin.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    this bike looks wonderful.. thinking of selling my pug for one of these and pocket some $

For the even slightly price conscious folks, why would anyone get a muk over this?

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Truth in Advertising

If you click on the picture of thefront tire on BD page, you will see that tire is not 120 tpi, but 72. It is a Vee Rubber Mission tire. Check out the review one MTBR rider gave of those.

Mini tire review: Vee Rubber Mission 26"x4.0"

So figure in a few more dollars for tires, unless as the reviewer said you are just buying it as a cruiser.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    The 72tpi Vee Missions weigh around 1470g, while the new 120tpi ones consistently weigh in at around 1420g, so rather small weight difference between their 72tpi and 120tpi now. I run some of the previous generation (from January) 120Tpi versions that are around 1370g. Works great as an allround tire. Better than the Vee-8 that has gotten some good reviews. The really old ones were 1800g +.
    Last edited by Espen W; 09-17-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Well the claim that they will float over 3' of powder snow might be stretching it a bit.
    To be fair, BikesDirect is in Texas.........

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Green or Black ...

These look like they will be fun for the Chicago winter coming up.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the actual frame/fork spacing and offset on these?

What about the bottom bracket size?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by juxtaposition View Post
    Does anyone know the actual frame/fork spacing and offset on these?

What about the bottom bracket size?
    Fork: 135mm with front specific caliper offset.
    Frame: 100mm BB shell, 135mm spacing with 17.5mm offset
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    I already received an email with a UPS tracking number. The date of shipment is October 15th. I'm just hoping I won't see a delay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think that Espen W's info actually helps push the BD fat bikes. Not so strange since he created them, but people were more sceptical of them before he showed up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    bhc said: "If you click on the picture of thefront tire on BD page, you will see that tire is not 120 tpi, but 72. It is a Vee Rubber Mission tire. Check out the review one MTBR rider gave of those.

Mini tire review: Vee Rubber Mission 26"x4.0"

So figure in a few more dollars for tires, unless as the reviewer said you are just buying it as a cruiser."

Keep in mind that this is one persons review on his local trails.

Hardly enough input to form any kind of an opinion.

Norðwegr
    My Mammut is great, my cheapest bike to date and probably the one I have the most /fun/ on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epg0 View Post
    Green or Black ...

These look like they will be fun for the Chicago winter coming up.
    Yes, they do.

I think its cool that they took the plunge in what's seen at this time to be a low volume biz. But, like anything. The more people you bring to the party, the bigger the party gets.

I'm new to the fat bike scene so if it was me. I'd go green. Looking at the photos it sure looks like a nice frame. The frame looks upgradable should you decide on it.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo-Rider View Post
    Yes, they do.

I think its cool that they took the plunge in what's seen at this time to be a low volume biz. But, like anything. The more people you bring to the party, the bigger the party gets.

I'm new to the fat bike scene so if it was me. I'd go green. Looking at the photos it sure looks like a nice frame. The frame looks upgradable should you decide on it.

Good luck.
    I pulled the trigger on the black one hah.

I am still debating if I should of just went with the green and used the extra $200 towards minor upgrades or winter clothes, since I am new to the scene was well.

I might switch it up before they sell out of 19 inch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epg0 View Post
    I pulled the trigger on the black one hah.

I am still debating if I should of just went with the green and used the extra $200 towards minor upgrades or winter clothes, since I am new to the scene was well.

I might switch it up before they sell out of 19 inch.
    The black looks cool. Besides, what's done, is done. Be happy and congrats. Damn, i need the 17 inch in green. You think if I send them an email they will save me one. LOL!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Timing is funny sometimes. I've been thinking about a fatty for months, but I'm trying to save for some home improvements. Got the BD email about the bikes last night and really thought about ordering since the price is so reasonable.

This morning my GF mentioned seeing some fat bike pics on Pinterest. She loves the snow and thought those would be major winter fun. I showed her the BD bikes and she was thrilled. I got a text from her later this morning that she was daydreaming about them all the way to, and during work. Gotta admit I spent too much time researching these when I should have been doing other stuff.

She was giddy all day looking at the site and sharing the link with friend. So I bit the bullet and ordered 2 Pro models in medium. I think she is more excited that I am. Gotta love a girl that says "to hell with the roof until Spring" so we can buy more bikes.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Gotta love a girl that says "to hell with the roof until Spring" so we can buy more bikes.
    So what's this whole "girlfriend" thing about then?

Can't stand this song but Beyoncé - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) - YouTube
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    LOL, yeah. Gonna fix that in the near future too. Funny thing... this purchase eats into the ring fund, but it will happen with Xmas bonus and vacation buy-back at work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    After a night of drinking come home to see the ad for these things on FB. I had to have one at that price. After bit of comparing I just ordered the cheapest one...I wanted the green frame, it really came down to that for me. I would have ordered a more expensive model if it came in green. I can't wait to try this thing out. The real goal is to not upgrade the hell out of it like every other bike I own.

Page 5 of 154 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast