Page 5 of 151 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    yo espen is right.. this BD fatbike is basically the diamant mammut bike rebranded

I checked that out too. If I calculated the Krone to dollar conversion correctly, the cost is just under $1,700.00 American for the Diamant-for whatever that's worth?

mtbr member
    May 2012

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    If you care about service or support after the sale...shop at your local bike shop.
    Buying something online doesn't excuse the seller from good service. There are many framebuilders and web stores with excellent customer service. Most of my lbs's don't sell or even know the first thing about fatbikes, so I buy lots of stuff online, from small parts to a $5k complete bike. A crappy service experience gets that supplier crossed off my list.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    bd offers great cust support... not face to face however.. but great support over emails and shipping replacement parts etc..

I've requested for support from BD for very trivial matters on a $300 bike. I've also requested support from Surly on something similarly trivial on a $1500 pugsley.

Result:

BD: responded over email within a day and resolved the matter quickly by shipping out replacement parts

Surly: never an email response, despite several follow ups.. I guess the douche bags were too busy grooming beards and taking selfies for the blog

Before you say "should work with your lbs yada yada yada..." yea no $it sherlock. but why would they have a contact email on their website? Plus I wanted to hear directly from the mfgr.
    Last edited by boogman; 09-17-2013 at 06:58 AM.

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I checked that out too. If I calculated the Krone to dollar conversion correctly, the cost is just under $1,700.00 American for the Diamant-for whatever that's worth?
    that's where some of the BD distaste comes from

if the original bike was 1700 how the heck does BD say list was 2800? that and the float on 3' of snow is stretching things a bit no?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

nothing to see here
    BD will sell plenty of these, no doubt.

I will continue to save for my On-One Fatty bundle as I appreciate building a bike with quality components that don't need replacing within weeks.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    bd offers great cust support... not face to face however.. but great support over emails and shipping replacement parts etc..
    Not always... read post #94.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    Norwegian retail is 9999NOK, so that is $1695 at todays rate.
    Note that this price includes the Norwegian sales tax that is 25%, so the comparable (to US) pricing (w/o sales tax) is $1355. We presold these bikes back in winter and customers could order from the shops at $1085 (before sales tax).
    Note that this includes a 2 year warranty (5 year on frame/fork).
    Also note that Norway pretty much has the highest cost of living in the world. Gas is close to $11 per gallon, etc.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I know BD jacks up their MSRP.. this is obvious... I have never used their claimed MSRP to sway my decision. This goes to pretty much anything I buy... REI might have a jacket on sale for 20%, but their original price might be 20% higher than anyone else...

It's always a comparison of the purchase price vs the complete bike I'm getting. Any savvy buyer surely takes the same route.

The fact - This bike is cheaper than if you could import it from Norway.. Its much cheaper than any other options available in the US that still gets you a very capable bike.. haters will focus on the claimed MSRP.. ok have a ball

mtbr member
    I agree with above. It seems that many naysayers like to compare the bikes to more expensive bikes, which BD kind of invites by the way their msrp is inflated. Even with that said, if you compare the bikes to others costing the same, they seem to offer a real value. I have not purchased one, but they have some good deals on the spec sheets.
    I like the idea of supporting an LBS, but if a $695 fat bike allows someone to get in to one that otherwise they would not be able to afford , then I think that is great.
    Also, any shop that has worthy mechanics will still service your bike, even if you didn't buy it there.
    Buy a $30 Park tool bike mechanics manual and you should be able to do most minor work yourself. It's cheap and rewarding .
    Is the 695 mb going to be as good as a Mukluk or a Pugsley? I would say no, but a reasonable person shouldn't have that expectation.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post
    $399 fat bike? Wow.
    I'm betting the $399 fat bike will be a single speed. Which might be a great deal since a lot of us have shifters, derailleurs, cassette's, etc. in our bins at home. No sense in paying for low end comps on the $700 bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I would like to try out one of these fat bikes. Its hard to beat the price for a starter fat bike.

I can not decide between the comp ($695) and the Elite ($895). Is the $200 price difference worth it at that point?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Since the top of the line BD bike is essentially a rebadged Diamant Mammut:
    We got a massive (140 pages+) general fatbike thread over at the Norwegian MTB forum, where we constantly add info about testing, development, etc. Just added info about our new 895g 103mm rims. In addition, one of our customers just mounted Bud/Lou with fork/frame/chain clearance on our MK2 bikes, etc. (on page 140)
    [terrengsykkel.no] Arena - Er fat-bike et bra konsept?
    For those few of you not well versed in the Norwegian language, run the page(s) through Google translate for a semi-accurate translation of the Norse alphabet soup.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Do you have the geometry numbers for the various frame sizes listed anywhere?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Do you have the geometry numbers for the various frame sizes listed anywhere?
    Indeed:
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was thinking the same thing. But after looking at some of the specs I just went with the top end one. The folding bead tires are about 1 1/2 lbs lighter than the wire. And the drive components and brakes are a little better, I figured it would be worth the extra coin.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    this bike looks wonderful.. thinking of selling my pug for one of these and pocket some $

For the even slightly price conscious folks, why would anyone get a muk over this?

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Truth in Advertising

If you click on the picture of thefront tire on BD page, you will see that tire is not 120 tpi, but 72. It is a Vee Rubber Mission tire. Check out the review one MTBR rider gave of those.

Mini tire review: Vee Rubber Mission 26"x4.0"

So figure in a few more dollars for tires, unless as the reviewer said you are just buying it as a cruiser.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The 72tpi Vee Missions weigh around 1470g, while the new 120tpi ones consistently weigh in at around 1420g, so rather small weight difference between their 72tpi and 120tpi now. I run some of the previous generation (from January) 120Tpi versions that are around 1370g. Works great as an allround tire. Better than the Vee-8 that has gotten some good reviews. The really old ones were 1800g +.
    Last edited by Espen W; 09-17-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Well the claim that they will float over 3' of powder snow might be stretching it a bit.
    To be fair, BikesDirect is in Texas.........

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Green or Black ...

These look like they will be fun for the Chicago winter coming up.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the actual frame/fork spacing and offset on these?

What about the bottom bracket size?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by juxtaposition View Post
    Does anyone know the actual frame/fork spacing and offset on these?

What about the bottom bracket size?
    Fork: 135mm with front specific caliper offset.
    Frame: 100mm BB shell, 135mm spacing with 17.5mm offset
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I already received an email with a UPS tracking number. The date of shipment is October 15th. I'm just hoping I won't see a delay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think that Espen W's info actually helps push the BD fat bikes. Not so strange since he created them, but people were more sceptical of them before he showed up.

Page 5 of 151 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast