Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    [QUOTE=russ3706;10735852]The included tubes weighed ~450 grams each. I ordered Q-Tubes online. Interestingly I ordered what I thought were two different tubes, as during my research I found both a 26 x 2.4-2.7" and a 26 x 2.4-2.75" (the blue and red box) being referred to when people said they switched to Q-tubes. Turns out the two tubes seem to be the same, despite the different colored box and different listings online. One was 250 grams, the other 230 grams (keep in mind the Park Scale has a 10 gram resolution). They aired up just fine, no problems so far. I'll carry one of the original tubes as a spare just in case. Definitely the cheapest way to save about of pound of rotating weight.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the extra info and work.

The frame looks really nice and I can see it will accommodate a rear rack and fenders.

I'm glad my order is on the way. :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    The maker of the 95mm strips is confidential info (as other companies have a habit of copying us)...
    However, you could cut down two 75mm strips and run them side by side, attached with a strip of tape in the middle.

That said, we are experimenting with hyper light Tyvek rimstrips these days. Making the strips out of Tyvek maps.
    Weighs around 15g vs. 85g for a 95mm strip. I have actually weighed some 95mm strips in at 120g a piece, so they can vary a lot between makers.
    Thanks, Using two 75mm rim strips or wide tape was plan B if the 95mm wasnt available.
    Espen, I want to thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, I know you dont have to, but it shows how passionate you are about your work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GoPlayOutside View Post
    Espen, I want to thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, I know you dont have to, but it shows how passionate you are about your work.
    Ditto. Espen's updates and information have been the only things keeping me sane as I wait for my bike to arrive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

That's all I can do now, going for a quick test ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I recieved my Elite and Comp. Already put the Elite together. Fit and finish look great. Rides nice! I thought these were supposed to have pedals, (even cheap ones). Mine didn't come with any. I weighed them in boxes and the elite was only a pound lighter. I will see when I actually get them out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I did not get pedals either, just sent an email to BD

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    pics people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by p_cycle View Post
    pics people.
    +1! Pics would be great! I've got an Elite coming in the second shipment, hopefully first week of November. I'd love some pics to vicariously tide me over until then.

mtbr member
    The website has a few available now for immediate shipping. Also, some for shipping 1 November! Hurry.... http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fat-bikes.htm

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Anyone got a weight on the green one yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'll let you know in T minus 24 hours

mtbr member
    Sweet. hopefully its decent. The dual hole look of the other one looks funny to me imo. At that price point that leaves alot of extra $$ for goodies. ( carver fork etc)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowzx View Post
    I did not get pedals either, just sent an email to BD
    Geez! Another disappointing BD faux pas. I know they are budget bikes at a good price, but if they advertise that what you are buying comes with pedals, (and they do!) it's quite simple... the bike should arrive with pedals! WTF?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by inediblebuffalo View Post
    To those who have their bikes already, what kind of assembly is required? Is there anything in addition to the normal bikes direct steps on their site? Im building mine at the UPS store and riding it home so I have to bring all the tools Ill need.
    Apparently you'll need to bring your own pedals, as counter to what BD specs and advertises on the bike that you ALREADY PAID FOR, they don't seem to include pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    They will receive plenty of emails then. They notified us about the change in tires. There was no notification about lack of pedals, so I plan to get them.

Looks like we get to test their customer service some more :/

mtbr member
    Well, I came home to a nice surprise.

My new black beast was sitting in the living room. I do apologize for not having any photos to share. As it was starting to get dark, and flash photography won't do any justice to something this nice.

First, assembly...

Easy, easy, easy. All you need is a 4mm hex key. Everything was already attached to the handlebars. The saddle was attached to the post. Yes, it does have height makings.

The front wheel just needed to have the QR skewer slipped in and tightened to the fork.

Second, quality...

It's easy to see the components are gathered here to meet a price point. Brakes, Shifters and Derailleurs and such. This is just going by the brand names that are on the components alone. However, they do look like they're durable and should give good service to the average rider. All the FSA components seem vary nice and have a quality feel to them. Also, the saddle is racy and with the seat post attached, weigh next to nothing.

If your not crazy about the specs, upgrade to what you like. The frame is upgradeable worthy. All, the wields look extremely clean and showed good craftsmanship. No slop here.

I will say this, for the purchase price. You are getting a lot of bike for dollar, one that can grow as you see fit or your budget will allow.

My view on the Fantom Elite Fatty.

No, I didn't receive any pedals but, I'll live.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    They will receive plenty of emails then. They notified us about the change in tires. There was no notification about lack of pedals, so I plan to get them.

Looks like we get to test their customer service some more :/
    Whoa! Within the last hour or two BD has changed the reference to pedals on all price points from "platform" to "NA." Doesn't solve the issue though... I purchased a bike that was advertised would include pedals. I feel strongly that those of us who pre-ordered should really get what we paid for. While I imagine the pedals aren't spectacular, I was anticipating using them at times when I wanted platforms for riding in boots or whatever. Without including them, I have to pay more for that feature. Not to mention the tire bait and switch.

wannabe fat biker
    Sep 2012
    I ordered the flat black model I remember it spec'ed platform/clipless. I bought better pedals but still paid for bd's pedals. ... wonder if I will get them

mtbr member
    The big picture here is this...

My opinion, the next closes bike in this category would cost me $600+ with not much of a better build. I think, I could survive without receiving some cheap pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Shady move that they just changed the spec pages again. Worse yet that they seem to be doing this under the radar compared to how they handled the tires with the emails.

Maybe they didn't know about the lack of pedals until people started opening the boxes? But that is no excuse to just hide that and hope we don't contact them for what should have been included.

I still have the spec sheet printouts from the day I ordered mine that include the original tires and pedals. We already made a concession on the tire downgrade. It is an insult if they plan to brush this issue aside too.

We will see if this results in another call from them to "explain" the situation.

mtbr member
    Shady move that they just changed the spec pages again. Worse yet that they seem to be doing this under the radar compared to how they handled the tires with the emails.

Maybe they didn't know about the lack of pedals until people started opening the boxes? But that is no excuse to just hide that and hope we don't contact them for what should have been included.

I still have the spec sheet printouts from the day I ordered mine that include the original tires and pedals. We already made a concession on the tire downgrade. It is an insult if they plan to brush this issue aside too.

We will see if this results in another call from them to "explain" the situation.
    It is late in the day. Hopefully we will receive an email tomorrow explaining how they plan to handle the situation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    green 17" weighs in at 36.25...with no pedals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey101 View Post
    green 17" weighs in at 36.25...with no pedals.
    not too bad. i have never weighed my current bike so I plan to weigh them both when my bike comes in tomorrow and see how they compare.

Is the green as bright as it looks in the pics online?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah the green is just as bright, I ended up going with the lower end one...just because I wanted that green.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo-Rider View Post
    First, assembly...

Easy, easy, easy. All you need is a 4mm hex key. Everything was already attached to the handlebars. The saddle was attached to the post. Yes, it does have height makings.

The front wheel just needed to have the QR skewer slipped in and tightened to the fork.
    Thanks for the info! Was going to bring my own pedals anyways.

Busing to the border, walking over, busing to the UPS store in Niagara Falls, building my bike and biking across the border 100km home. Gonna be a fun adventure.

Does anyone know if they record your vehicle of entry when you walk across? (Bike vs on foot). Don't want to raise any suspicion when I walk over and bike back 2 or 3 hours later.

Re: Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

You guys can go to Walmart and probably get the same quality pedals you would have got anyway. Seriously... some of you sound actually worked up about this! The biggest complaint over the years has been "fat bikes are tooooo expensive". Now there is a kick ars deal available for you to get on one... at THREE price points... and yet the complainers find something to complain about.

You guys bought a bicycle online without seeing or riding it in person... these thing will happen when you go that route... so settle the frigg down and cut BD a break for the tiny profit margin they make to get you a fat bike!

Otherwise go buy one from your local bike shop and pay more... but get to actually put your hands on the bike you will be purchasing.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

The White Jeff W
    I was considering one of these until i saw the 24.3" top tube length on the largest size. At 6'3" Id have to ues a 200 mm stem! Not sure how they can claim someone up to 6'4" can fit on this thing.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    You guys can go to Walmart and probably get the same quality pedals you would have got anyway. Seriously... some of you sound actually worked up about this! The biggest complaint over the years has been "fat bikes are tooooo expensive". Now there is a kick ars deal available for you to get on one... at THREE price points... and yet the complainers find something to complain about.

You guys bought a bicycle online without seeing or riding it in person... these thing will happen when you go that route... so settle the frigg down and cut BD a break for the tiny profit margin they make to get you a fat bike!

Otherwise go buy one from your local bike shop and pay more... but get to actually put your hands on the bike you will be purchasing.
    Yes, these are still the best price and component option at the moment. That's why I bought one in the first place.

Just because I never laid my hands on one before buying the bike doesn't make it acceptable to keep changing things. We ordered on pics and spec alone and the seller is obligated to fulfill that.

This is turning into an over-promise and under-deliver situation. The parts are far less the real issue for me than the business ethics at this point.

If my credit card company sent them the money but left it short by $20, you can be sure someone from BD would follow up on that. This is no different since we appear to have been shorted parts.

The original specs included pedals and that is what we all expected.

How are we being unreasonable to expect to receive each and every part we ordered?

Basically... re-read my comment above. I see where you're coming from... but some crappy plastic pedals? Really? Like I said... most likely the same you would get from Walmart. Even if you got the elite you still probably saved $500 over what you would have had to pay had BD not come along with these for you. I'm guessing you guys got free shipping too?

You also do realize that these probably came into BD from overseas and went right out the door again to you... nice and quickly for you to get it and complain about not getting $10 pedals on a $500 savings.

Otherwise return it or sell to one of the other people that really wanted one and didn't get in on it. Then you can buy the next cheapest fat bike from On-One for an extra $400 out of your pocket.

CHILL

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post

I think the "big picture" (solo_rider) here isn't the quality of the pedals or the quality of the deal... It isn't as though we agreed to buy a mystery bike! We purchased via the published specs. The issue is that all those who purchased under the advertised specs entered a contract with BD. BD isn't honoring the contract regarding the pedals or the tires. Yet, we all continue to honor our end, and honor our end weeks in advance by pre-paying. It just lacks integrity. And, it's more suspect after the tire thing. Even if the pedals are only worth ten bucks, I'd like to see my paypal account credited $10.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I would still have bought the bike sans pedals, but it sure would have been nice to know ahead of time so I could pick some up in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randomsample View Post
    I would still have bought the bike sans pedals, but it sure would have been nice to know ahead of time so I could pick some up in advance.
    Agreed. Not a big deal though. Ill just swing by the LBS tomorrow and pick up some pedals.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Black 19inch

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Picked up my Green Comp at UPS today and the box barely fit in the back of my SUV. Overall very impressed with the build for the money (despite no pedals). I will say, those planning on taking off the Motobecane "sticker" are out of luck because it's in the clearcoat. I also found the Designed in USA, built in China sticker to be funny with the information Espen has provided. I have some unboxing videos I can put up if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    QUOTE=waterboy179;10738355]Picked up my Green Comp at UPS today and the box barely fit in the back of my SUV. Overall very impressed with the build for the money (despite no pedals). I will say, those planning on taking off the Motobecane "sticker" are out of luck because it's in the clearcoat. I also found the Designed in USA, built in China sticker to be funny with the information Espen has provided. I have some unboxing videos I can put up if anyone is interested.[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy just to see a real life pic of the green.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Exactly!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    As an owner of a bright orange Mukluk (my 2nd favorite bike color), I'm incredibly jealous of my friends who got the $700 neon green (favorite bike color). As an "early adopter" I have no big complaints though. I'm the sole reason that 5 people ordered these.

We'll see who wins in the end. My thoughts are the BD people get a better ride per dollar. Maybe?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I don't think you should have a problem with a bike. But some things you might want to consider that I forgot earlier:

LOTS of zip-ties holding the shipped product in place. Bring scissors or something.

Do you think UPS will let you ditch the box in one of their dumpsters? That might be more of a problem than taking the bike across borders.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I probably would be slightly irritated with the tire and pedal thing myself. Although, I wouldn't send one back at these prices. The pedals aren't a huge deal, but the tire thing is annoying. Main thing is a bunch of people are getting the fat bike experience on the trail. See you on the trail.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk now Free

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Here's some pics of the Green Comp.

Nompton, OK
    I personally was very disappointed with the last minute tire swap, UNTIL I actually received the bike and weighed the tires. I was originally expecting the steel bead 72 TPI tires to be on the bike, which weigh 1930 grams. But instead they seem to be folding bead 72 TPI, and I weighed them at 1560 and 1540 grams respectively, which is a huge difference from 1930 grams and much closer to the original 120 TPI tire weight. Now the only difference is we got a 72 TPI tire rather than 120 TPI, but only a small weight gain. So I'm not all that upset about it now and would much rather take the change in TPI and have the bike in my hands now, rather than wait out a couple months of ambiguity on a delivery date.

That green looks great! Digging the black also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    LOL @ the EN safety sticker... suitable for jumps less than 61cm [24"] A

Agreed Russ, tires are a nice surprise compared to what we were expecting.

mtbr member

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

Sorry if I missed it earlier, seem to recall something about it... The green version vs the black, the front rim.... Is the black version wider? (Looking at the Picts with double cut outs a single on the green)

Hoping to get to ride on a fattie this weekend and if I like it gonna try to save enough to pull the trigger on one.

Thx in advance.

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I've been lurking around here for quite a while, but decided to join the discussion while I anxiously await the arrival of my bike tomorrow. I suppose sleeping would probably make it come faster.
    I jumped on this deal as soon as I heard about it because I've been trying to convince my wife that I NEED a fatbike for years, but this price point was more convincing. I haven't gotten it yet, but I can't imagine I'll be too put out by the lack of pedals considering the price. I honestly wondered if it was a typo, since the pictures don't show pedals.
    Also, for anyone who thinks they might be getting a partial refund, the FAQ provides your answer: "We attempt to be as accurate as possible and eliminate errors on the Site; however, we do not warrant that any product, service, description, photograph, pricing or other information is accurate, complete, reliable, current or error-free. In the event of an error, whether on the Site, in an order confirmation, in processing an order, delivering a product or service or otherwise, we reserve the right to correct such error and revise your order accordingly if necessary (including charging the correct price) or to cancel the order and refund any amount charged. Your sole remedy in the event of such error is to cancel your order and obtain a refund."
    So, if they really did intend to ship pedals with these, you might get some pedals in the mail, but if it was a typo or misinformation from the manufacturer, you can keep the bike as is or return it. Such is the case with online stores. Especially pre-order items. I can't count how many times I have bought things from many different vendors only to find that what I got was not quite what they said.
    As for me, I'm going to ride the heck out of this thing, and if I enjoy it enough I might get a nicer one down the road. Or maybe I'll decide it is good enough, but that doesn't sound like me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

FB4 Elite weights

FWIW, Elite 19" 35 lb. 1 oz. out of the box

Swapped out the tubes to Q-tubes superlight and tires to On-One Floaters:

33 lb. 12 oz.
    Good enough. Let's ride. Thanks Al.

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-2013-10-10-20.19.33.jpg

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-img958786.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Here are another couple of observations I have made since putting the bike together. I personally think the front rim looks too wide for the tire. The tire isn't rounded at all in the front. The rear profile looks much better in my uneducated opinion. Also, because of the narrower rim, the rear tire has a taller profile than the front. I didn't have a chance to measure by how much yet.
    I would like to get the new Snowshoe Tire or another wider tire for the front ASAP.

Head Tube Angle. I am using an App on my Iphone for this, and I am getting 71.5 to maybe 72 degree HTA. My Tallboy measures 69.5 with a 120mm fork on the same App so I think it is pretty accurate. 72 degrees seems really steep.

The ride: This is really the first fatbike I have ridden so I am not sure what to expect. It seems to accelerate quickly. It feels solid and quiet. I am not sure what to think of the handling. I am so used to my Tallboy. It feels to me that once you turn very sharp at all, that the bike just grabs and almost yanks the bars that direction. If you turn 20 degrees, it's like it wants to turn 50 degrees. It is a strange feeling. I realize the tires are huge, but I wonder if the steep HTA, fork rake, and longer stem play a roll.
    Also, in tight turns I don't like how the front tires feels. I wonder if it is because the profile of the tire is so squared off. The sidewalls are basically straight and then there is a radius "top" instead of a nice rounded transition. It is like once you lean the bike far enough to transition to the sidewall, it just wants to go.

This will take some getting used to, but overall I really think it is a quality bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexrider View Post

33 lb. 12 oz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-10 20.19.33.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	838237

Name:	IMG958786.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	838238
    Nice. A few more upgrades and you are in Beargrease territory.
    I am glad you had a good scale to throw the Elite on. I was eager to compare the 3 models.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! Was going to bring my own pedals anyways.

Busing to the border, walking over, busing to the UPS store in Niagara Falls, building my bike and biking across the border 100km home. Gonna be a fun adventure.

Does anyone know if they record your vehicle of entry when you walk across? (Bike vs on foot). Don't want to raise any suspicion when I walk over and bike back 2 or 3 hours later.
    Sounds like a great adventure. On my maiden voyage my wife dropped me off and I got to ride home 9 miles during a snowstorm with 5" of fresh snow on the ground.

Go Bills
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am sure bd will take care of you and send over the missing pedals..

The complainers are the ones whom have not dealt wth bd before. In that case I understand their suspicion.

Don't worry just email and Matt will take care of you

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Can anyone confirm the BB shell size? I assume its 100mm but I can't find specifics on the Samox crank.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trail_turkey View Post
    Can anyone confirm the BB shell size? I assume its 100mm but I can't find specifics on the Samox crank.
    100mm
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    (Kindernay XIV 14 speed internal gear hub with hydraulic sequential shifters)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by I like bicycles. View Post
    I don't think you should have a problem with a bike. But some things you might want to consider that I forgot earlier:

LOTS of zip-ties holding the shipped product in place. Bring scissors or something.

Do you think UPS will let you ditch the box in one of their dumpsters? That might be more of a problem than taking the bike across borders.
    Ah ok. I'm bringing my multi-tool as well as multi function bike tool. Hopefully that should be good.

No idea regarding the cardboard, didn't even think about that. I'll call them up and ask. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfin View Post
    Sounds like a great adventure. On my maiden voyage my wife dropped me off and I got to ride home 9 miles during a snowstorm with 5" of fresh snow on the ground.

Go Bills
    I thought it would be a nice way to start-off the many adventures I hope to have with this bike. I cannot wait for the snow to come this year!

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by epg0 View Post
    Black 19inch

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free
    Looks good! What is your height & inseam? How does the bike feel? Long? Cramped? Thanks in advance for your reply
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexrider View Post

33 lb. 12 oz.

Name:	2013-10-10 20.19.33.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	838237

Name:	IMG958786.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	838238
    Looks Good... My Elite will be here in a few hours.. I'm like a kid waiting for Santa in his brown truck to show up... From the posted pics the bright green parts, seat post clap, spacers and rim tape on the Elite doesnt look as bad as i thougt it would..., but I still have blue rim tape and a blue set post clap on its way along with some superlite Qtube. Are the decals clear coated on the black frame?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Looks good! What is your height & inseam? How does the bike feel? Long? Cramped? Thanks in advance for your reply
    I am right under 6"2' and wear 32-34 pants. No pedals yet, so its hard to get a great feeling. By just hoping on the seat, it feels like a good fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Anyone else notice the seatpost size is not 31.6 but 30.9?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Interesting. I need to double check the seat tube OD then. I am ordering QR collars and have verify I get the correct size.

bigger than you.
    for the guys complaining about not getting pedals, if they're anything like other oem pedals, you're going to replace them anyway. The pedals that came on my specialized 29er didn't even last the first week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My 17" Pro's have landed. Too bad I have to work all day.

Assembly tonight and I will weigh parts for reference.

mtbr member

ApexRider's Elite

More on the Elite- I'm helping ApexRider put his together.

Some additional weights:

Rear wheel sans tire/ tube- this is with the boat anchor of a cassette (an easy place to lose some additional weight): 5lbs 6oz
    Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-img_3084.jpg

Front wheel sans tire/ tube: 4lbs 7oz
    Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-img_3085.jpg

Stock VeeRubber Mission Tires: 1520 gr. (Both weighed exactly the same- I can't imagine the tread pattern on these tires being good for much of anything other than concrete/ commuting- maybe hard pack sand?)
    Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-img_3087.jpg

Stock Tubes: 460 gr.
    Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-img_3091.jpg

On-One Floaters: 1450 gr.
    Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-img_3088.jpg

QTubes Superlight 26x2.4-2.75 tubes: 230 gr.
    Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-img_3092.jpg

I worked in bike shops for over 10 years starting in the late 80's and have been consistently been working on all kinds of bikes since- some 20+ years overall and have probably changed thousands upon thousands of tires/ tubes. Getting tires on and off of this front rim ranks among the most difficult I've ever encountered- even compared to some of the old British standards (that were far from standardized). I HIGHLY recommend trying to set this front rim up tubeless. There is no deep center channel, and with the tight fit, any tire should air up/ seat pretty quickly/ easily as long as you do a good job sealing up over those holes. Trying to replace a tube on the trail (even worse, in the snow) would SUUUUUCK.

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-img_3097.jpg

Brakes didn't need a bleed and just a quick adjustment on the calipers to have them dialed. Front rotor was a bit out of true, I assume from shipping, but an easy fix. Rear derailleur's limit screws were off, but nothing major and an easy/ quick fix.

That's it for now. Tonight, I'll be pulling the BB and headset to make sure they're well greased for inclement weather. I'll post again if there's anything pertinent that comes up.

Congratulations to everyone who pulled the trigger on these. You could put $500 into one of these bikes (carbon fork, lighter cassette...) and have something that competes nicely with a beargrease for still less than half the cost. Or just ride the crap out of them as they are
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Just got mine

Just got mine (19" Pro)

Overall I'm impressed with the bike, but the assembly could use some work. The handlebars were attached to the headset backwards, which was thankfully an easy fix (on some other bikes I've owned that would have been a nightmare).

On the other hand I just noticed that the front tire is on backwards with respect to the disc brake. I wasn't planning on doing a tire change just yet, but there you have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I bar thing took me a few minutes to figure out...also the shifter cables are route to the wrong sides of the headtube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just got mine (19" Pro)

Overall I'm impressed with the bike, but the assembly could use some work. The handlebars were attached to the headset backwards, which was thankfully an easy fix (on some other bikes I've owned that would have been a nightmare).

On the other hand I just noticed that the front tire is on backwards with respect to the disc brake. I wasn't planning on doing a tire change just yet, but there you have it.
    I had the same issues my 17" Comp. I recorded the assembly of it but realized at the end I got the handlebars on correct but had the fork backwards.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brokevw View Post
    Anyone else notice the seatpost size is not 31.6 but 30.9?
    Really?! That sucks... I purchased a Thomson set-back on Ebay (used) for this bike already. Now I'll have to deal with re-selling, re-purchasing. WTF Bikes direct? I'm trying to be patient with this deal but it seems like I did buy a mystery bike after all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I just got an email from BD. So for everyone bickering about the cheap pedals not coming with your already cheap bike, check out your mailbox:

Hi, Thank you for ordering OR pre-ordering a New Motobecane FatBike.

These bikes arrived to us and we were under the impression the factory was including pedals because that's what the spec sheet said, however, there was an error and the pedals were not included.

Even though the price we are selling the FB4 models at is rather low; we still want you to receive pedals for the bike your ordered. We do not have hundreds of pairs of pedals laying around but we do have some and we are in the process of ordering more for you all. Many of you have several bikes at home and probably even several sets of pedals. If you do NOT want us to send you a set of ATB pedals, please reply to this email by Monday and say, "I do not need the pedals". Otherwise, we will ship you pedals as soon as we possibly can and there is no need for you to reply to this email.

While we have your attention, we would love to see you all post pictures of you with your FatBike on our Facebook page or any other place you choose to post your pictures. We think you are so great and we truly appreciate your business!

Thanks again

Be Safe and Have Fun
    Order Processing Team at Bikes Direct
    Bikes Direct has always impressed me with their customer service.

mtbr member

Lunch break

Skipped home for a few to finish up ApexRider's build.

I highly recommend pulling apart the headsets and packing them with grease. They are not sealed bearings (another relatively cheap upgrade and possible weight savings area) and there was only a light coating of grease on them:

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-img_3098.jpg

Surprisingly, there was grease on little areas where there often is not with bikes from BD and other online distributors:

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-img_3099.jpg

The reach is adjustable on the brakes- they were set all the way out- unless you have a gorilla hands, you'll likely want to bring the reach in a bit:

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-img_3100.jpg

I didn't take pictures, but we also pulled the BB. It's a sealed system, so this isn't nearly as important, but there was little to no grease on the threads of the cups. Also, these are not high-end bikes, and it's not likely to matter, but it's clear no parts of the frame (headset, bb shell, disc tabs) had been faced. Still, things are solid and running well. I believe ApexRider is out for a shake down as I write this...
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks alshead! I would have missed a lot of that stuff.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I just received this from BD:

Hi, Thank you for ordering OR pre-ordering a New Motobecane FatBike.

These bikes arrived to us and we were under the impression the factory was including pedals because that's what the spec sheet said, however, there was an error and the pedals were not included.

Even though the price we are selling the FB4 models at is rather low; we still want you to receive pedals for the bike your ordered. We do not have hundreds of pairs of pedals laying around but we do have some and we are in the process of ordering more for you all. Many of you have several bikes at home and probably even several sets of pedals. If you do NOT want us to send you a set of ATB pedals, please reply to this email by Monday and say, "I do not need the pedals". Otherwise, we will ship you pedals as soon as we possibly can and there is no need for you to reply to this email.

While we have your attention, we would love to see you all post pictures of you with your FatBike on our Facebook page or any other place you choose to post your pictures. We think you are so great and we truly appreciate your business!

Thanks again

Be Safe and Have Fun
    Order Processing Team at Bikes Direct

mtbr member
    Thanks alshead! I would have missed a lot of that stuff.
    My pleasure. If you've not put a bike together before, there are a few other points I'd share/ consider:

*Your brake levers and shifters should be moved approximately 1" inboard from the grips- between .75-1.25 inches depending on what feels good to you. This will get the shifters out of your way and put the lever in the position where it is meant to be, assuming you pull primarily with your middle finger (index finger always wrapped on the grip).

Most people also set their brake levers at a 30-45deg angle downwards (they come almost parallel to the ground, which is terribly uncomfortable).

*A light layer of grease on your seat post is advised- and on the bolt of the seat clamp- especially since these bikes are likely to be wet a lot.

The bike should have two washers zip-tied to the cranks- put those on when you put pedals on.

...I think that's it for now. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Very cool, well handled by BD.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    My Moto just arrived. It was packed quite well. I think it's a great $700.00 investment. I plan on taking it down to the frame and building it back up (no time right now). A few observations: the grips suck, the diameter of the post seems too small (did anybody get shims with their bike?), and the brakes seem low on fluid. The quality of the bike/components seem decent for the price. And the San Maonie (not making that up!) saddle has to go. Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-motobecane-001.jpg  

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-motobecane-003.jpg  

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-motobecane-004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Very cool, well handled by BD.

Agreed! That's more like it.

Now, can anybody confirm the seatpost size on the black one?

THX,

ham_bone

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    My Moto just arrived. It was packed quite well. I think it's a great $700.00 investment. I plan on taking it down to the frame and building it back up (no time right now). A few observations: the grips suck, the diameter of the post seems too small (did anybody get shims with their bike?), and the brakes seem low on fluid. The quality of the bike/components seem decent for the price. And the San Maonie (not making that up!) saddle has to go. Cheers!
    No, wookie. It's actually "San Moanie." Ha! "rookie," er um, "wookie" mistake.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post

Some additional weights:

Rear wheel sans tire/ tube- this is with the boat anchor of a cassette (an easy place to lose some additional weight): 5lbs 6oz

Name:	IMG_3084.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	838305

Name:	IMG_3085.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	838306

Stock VeeRubber Mission Tires: 1520 gr. (Both weighed exactly the same- I can't imagine the tread pattern on these tires being good for much of anything other than concrete/ commuting- maybe hard pack sand?)

Name:	IMG_3087.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	838307

Name:	IMG_3091.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	838308

Name:	IMG_3088.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	838309

Name:	IMG_3092.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	838310

I worked in bike shops for over 10 years starting in the late 80's and have been consistently been working on all kinds of bikes since- some 20+ years overall and have probably changed thousands upon thousands of tires/ tubes. Getting tires on and off of this front rim ranks among the most difficult I've ever encountered- even compared to some of the old British standards (that were far from standardized). I HIGHLY recommend trying to set this front rim up tubeless. There is no deep center channel, and with the tight fit, any tire should air up/ seat pretty quickly/ easily as long as you do a good job sealing up over those holes. Trying to replace a tube on the trail (even worse, in the snow) would SUUUUUCK.

Name:	IMG_3097.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	838311

Brakes didn't need a bleed and just a quick adjustment on the calipers to have them dialed. Front rotor was a bit out of true, I assume from shipping, but an easy fix. Rear derailleur's limit screws were off, but nothing major and an easy/ quick fix.

That's it for now. Tonight, I'll be pulling the BB and headset to make sure they're well greased for inclement weather. I'll post again if there's anything pertinent that comes up.

Congratulations to everyone who pulled the trigger on these. You could put $500 into one of these bikes (carbon fork, lighter cassette...) and have something that competes nicely with a beargrease for still less than half the cost. Or just ride the crap out of them as they are
    I picked up some of these steel-core levers...maybe they'll help-I dunno.
    Nashbar Steel Core Tire Levers - Normal Shipping Ground

Also got some of these big levers too.
    Nashbar Large Tire Levers - Normal Shipping Ground

Hope they'll help someone...I haven't used mine yet- pricepoint.com sells Sette levers like these too. there's a couple more brands too on ebay.
    Schwalbe makes a can of stuff that works like soapy water...can't recall the name of it off hand. I hope I can order my bike in the next wave BD sells.Hope they don't go up a whole heap.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wonder if the Vee Snowshoes will be ready for the winter

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I like the bike a lot so far, though it seems more comfortable on grass and rocks than on pavement (tires sound like an airplane when riding at speed on the street). One thing I noticed was that the chain is either too long, or there's not enough tension, or the hub has too much friction. The chain sags and bounces a lot when coasting fast, especially on the smaller rings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That sounds like freehub stiction. Should loosen up with use.

Check your big-big gearing combo and verify der tension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-uploadfromtaptalk1381533016873.jpg  

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-uploadfromtaptalk1381533035971.jpg  

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-uploadfromtaptalk1381533069675.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    Rollin.
    Nice. That's the one I wantto get soon. I'm diggin' it strongside.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Couple things from my shakedown ride on my 15" comp...

The front brake caliper hits the spokes when turning to the right. Espen mentioned this earlier in the thread and said all you have to do is shim the rotor out a little bit.

The stock drivetrain works surprisingly well. I had to do a little fiddling with it, but it works great in every gear in the cassette except the second biggest.

And finally...this thing is awesome! Can't wait to fiddle around with some mods and make it even better!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Head Tube Angle

I measured the hta
    at 71.5, maybe 72 degrees. According to Espen's geometry chart it should be 69.5. I will be really dissapointed if the angle is close to what I measured. My method is far from perfect, but side by side with my 69.5 degree Tallboy this is much steeper. I used an angle finding app.

mtbr member
    My comp came in as well today. Got it assembled with no issues. Mid Atlantic is kinda have a mini monsoon at the moment so I only got about 10min of riding in but that was enough to test the basics. Cant get it to shift onto the 44t crank. Played with adjustments for about 20min and still no luck. It will shift fine when on the stand but stops working when im riding it. Rear break is kinda spongy and pulls all the way back to the grip. Thinking it needs to be bleed but i dont have the stuff to bleed it at home so I may have to the let LBS do that one for me. 17" Comp weighed in at about 36.4ish lbs on a bathroom scale. Weighed my Walgoose that ive been riding for the past 6ish years while I was at it. 34.2 lbs for the walgoose so at least the new bike isnt really a weight difference for me. Ride was a little bit rough during the quick trip i took. Thinking I need to play with tire pressure some as there was very little squish to the tires out of the box. Handling is def different. Low speed balance is def awesome but i need to get used to the pull back from the front tire when turning at higher speeds. I am def very happy with my purchase. Cant remember the last time i had a giant smile on my face riding around in 60 degree rainy weather. Got a few more things to pick up for it this weekend and then I will try to get some pics posted and hopefully this damn rain will stop so I can get some riding in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post

Some additional weights:

Name:	IMG_3084.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	838305

Name:	IMG_3085.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	838306

Name:	IMG_3087.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	838307

Name:	IMG_3091.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	838308

Name:	IMG_3088.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	838309

Name:	IMG_3092.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	838310

Name:	IMG_3097.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	838311

Alshead, what's up with that old Burton snowboard?

mtbr member
    Oh, and the GF's kids have decided that I need to get a GraveDigger sticker to put on it

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post
    Now, can anybody confirm the seatpost size on the black one?
    The marking on the seatpost of my Elite says 30.9. I don't have a caliper, but by measuring the circumference and dividing by pi, that seems very close to the correct diameter. It is a FSA SL-280, which appears to come in 27.2, 30.9 or 31.6 diameter. Easy mistake, I guess?
    Other than that, has anyone else noticed the handlebars are ridiculously wide? I didn't really think much about it until I tried to carry the assembled bike up my stairs and I realized that 740mm is longer than the outer diameter of the tires! Maybe I've just been hiding under a rock for too long, but the bars on my MTB are 5" narrower.
    I think that I will be replacing the seat (this one says nothing but "Velo"), handlebars and grips very soon. I also have some lighter tubes on order, and we'll see about the tires come winter. As it is, though, this is a very good bike for the money. I managed to take one loop around the trails near my house before closing time, and it was quite enjoyable. Seems like a solid build, and at 5'11" I'm glad I got the 19" frame. It has a taller standover than my 26" MTB which is just fine, and the reach is nearly identical. It feels very comfortable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    The front brake caliper hits the spokes when turning to the right. Espen mentioned this earlier in the thread and said all you have to do is shim the rotor out a little bit.
    I had the same issue with my 17" Comp. The true is a bit off.

Other than that, somebody screwed up with running the shifters and brake levers. They were twisted fierce, and I need to take them off and run them myself, but the handlebars need some lubricant to get off, which I'll get to at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by jkbike View Post
    Other than that, has anyone else noticed the handlebars are ridiculously wide? I didn't really think much about it until I tried to carry the assembled bike up my stairs and I realized that 740mm is longer than the outer diameter of the tires! Maybe I've just been hiding under a rock for too long, but the bars on my MTB are 5" narrower.
    Its a common thing with fat bikes and most new FS trail bikes are going wider. I put 780 bars on my moonlander. The wider bars help with leverage to wrestle the big tires around taking into consideration you actually use them where they were built for - mud, sand, and snow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I received my Fantom FB4 Elite yesterday. I'm new to fatbikes, but a long time cyclist. I was aware of the risks of BD and mail order (though have never ordered a BD or mail order bike before). I give BD kudos on a number of fronts:

- packing was excellent - really secure
    - pre-assembly was reasonably well done - per other posters, the handlebars were inverted, but part of me thinks it was intentional to keep the stem from scratching the frame
    - communication was really well done - followed the link to the tracking number, knew my wife missed the pickup, folllowed the link to redirect and picked it up at UPS.
    - fit and finish is pretty damn good. If I could rewind I'd probably do the comp - not sure the $200 upgrade really mattered much, but I liked the black on green...
    - brakes, shifting - everything was pretty much perfect out of the box - shifts very clean, braking is amazing.

So - riding a fat bike. Wasn't really sure what to expect as I had not ridden one. Notable feelings:

1) tire pressure it came with (~12 lbs?) was too high for my tastes. I lowered to about 6 lbs and now it rides like the bouncy, shock absorbing bike I wanted.
    2) It doesn't "feel" heavy despite weighing approx 35.8 lbs on my bathroom scale.
    3) at 6 lbs pressure it floats over trail nuisances that annoy me on my cross bike - rocks, roots, twigs virtually disappear. I rolled over a 2" diameter branch and didn't even feel it. My bumpy trail ride now feels like a smooth cruise. It is sort of like a big old cadillac - you lose some sensitivity, but gain comfort
    4) It keeps momentum: on loose gravel and grass it doesn't bog down like my cross bike
    5) it handles well on the loose stuff - can take corners in gravel better than my cross bike
    6) It oversteers - probably due to A) longer frame and B) low tire pressure and C) large wide front rim leaving a low pressure tire "square" it definitely pulls when you set it on edge. I suspect a snowshovel or Lou 4.7 or 4.8 tire would help. Its not a big deal though

Upgrades.... It is pretty complete. Like others though I ordered Q tubes because 1lb of rotational energy for a few bucks is worth it. I'm also probably going to get a pair of carbon bars - the 740MM bars seem absurdly wide to me and I can probably save almost a 1/2 lb for a pair of china carbons at $23 on ebay. Only other change I read about was the cassette - I'm not certain but it appears this cassette weighs in at about 450 grams, and could be replaced with a 260 gram cog for relatively low cost.

Oh, one watch out... I'm 5'11 and I have the seat post about 1/4" past "max" and could probably use another 1/4 inch on the 17" bike - wish I had bought the 19" in hindsight.

Hope that helps, and Oh, and many thanks to Espen W whose insider knowledge has been a pleasure to read.

Nompton, OK
    Finally got it out of the garage and into one of its natural habitats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russ3706 View Post
    Finally got it out of the garage and into one of its natural habitats

Cool video! :-)

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by johnkcoyle View Post
    I received my Fantom FB4 Elite yesterday.
    Thanks for the recap. I'm supposed to get my Elite in November. I'm glad I got the Large now, I'm on the borderline too, but with long legs. I have a longer post if I need it. Did we ever get confirmation on the seatpost diameter? Hopefully its 30.9.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-nyheter.jpg

First ever post (if done right it has a pic attached). I am wondering about the oversteer along with a couple of other folks. Seems more than it should be.... but this is my first fat bike, so I might be 'up in the night'. Nevertheless I would appreciate comments from anyone who figures out how to reduce oversteer on the bike.

I am no expert but I get the feeling the front tire is further forward decreasing the trail and making the bike want to climb/pull/oversteer into the corners or unlevel ground. With that thought I looked at some pictures on the internet and it seems the Moto front wheel axel is more forward than the bikes Espen W is building.... Might be nothing but wanted to hear if anyone had some insight.

Thanks again to Espen W - information has been top rate.

Cheers
    Last edited by The Third Bike; 10-12-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: typo

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post
    No, wookie. It's actually "San Moanie." Ha! "rookie," er um, "wookie" mistake.
    Actually, we're both wrong. It's Sam Moanie

bigger than you.
    The oversteer you guys have been experiencing is likely the tires. The Vee missions are well known for wonky handling on the front.

Loser
    On the oversteer thing, I have very limited time on fatbikes, but I have a loaner Pugsley I have been using this week. I'm not sure I'd call it oversteer, but on the Pugs, I definitely feel like the wheel grabs more into turns and when you have it up to speed it resists handlebar input due to all that weight and the gyroscopic effect. The strange thing is that when you lean into the bike it turns really nicely. To me its about using that gyro to your benefit by leaning rather than fighting it with the handlebars.

I don't think you can expect a fat bike to react the same as a skinny tired bike, there's way more weight in the wheels and way more traction too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Are you sure you don't mean understeer? If these things really have oversteer problems, then I'm going to want one for drifting through the trees like a rally car.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I agree oversteer may not be the correct term.... the bike pulls into the turn or uphill on when on unlevel ground (side hilling). I hope it is the tire - has anyone else tried the bike with other front tires and improved handling characteristics?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Did we ever get confirmation on the seatpost diameter? Hopefully its 30.9.
    As best I could, yes. 30.9 is one of the diameters listed for this model, and it is what is marked on the post. My best circumference measurement calculates to very close to 31mm diameter, so without someone with a caliper chiming in, that's the best you'll probably get.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by The Third Bike View Post
    the bike pulls into the turn or uphill on when on unlevel ground (side hilling).
    Interesting. The way you describe it, that does sound like oversteer. I actually experienced understeer in that when going into turns at what seemed like an appropriate speed I had to slow down and correct to keep from going off the outside of the turn. This is my first fatbike, though, so I attributed it to the bike being bigger and heavier than what I'm used to. I did just go with the 12psi in my tires to experiment down to what feels good, though. I'll go with less next time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Thanks for the recap. I'm supposed to get my Elite in November. I'm glad I got the Large now, I'm on the borderline too, but with long legs. I have a longer post if I need it. Did we ever get confirmation on the seatpost diameter? Hopefully its 30.9.
    Definitely 30.9 x 350. Confirmed with caliper measurement.

I got the 17" (Medium). I'm 5'10"+ with long legs and short torso. The max mark leaves 100mm to the end of the post. At max extension on the post, I am 25-30mm short from my road bike extension.

I did a similar fit on my FS bike. With my short torso, I don't like the extra stretch in the top tube if I up-size to a 19". I think sizing for top tube is more important since you have a wider range of adjustment in the seat height.

I also like the extra standover height I get from the smaller frame. I will just get a 400mm post to gain some seat height and be right where I need to be for leg extension.

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast