Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I had similar questions. The few reviews I found are for dirt, not snow.

Earlier this morning, I ordered Floaters for both of my bikes. It's price and reviews seem really good and it gets the weight reduction that I want too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexrider View Post
    Anyone seen/heard anything about snow performance of the Vee Mission? The posted reviews make it sound like a half decent all-around fair-weather/cruising tire, but looks like it might not be enough in the snow. I'm thinking an immediate upgrade might be in order, possibly to the On-One Floater since this is a budget bike after all.
    I've been viewing videos on going tubeless. At some point I would like to go lighter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo-Rider View Post
    I've been viewing videos on going tubeless. At some point I would like to go lighter.
    Was thinking that too, but it looks like you can shed almost as much with a lighter tube than will be spec'd. I wouldn't be surprised if the tubes on these are pushing 600g so maybe save ~300g/tire with some Q-tubes 2.4-2.7. Obviously there are other reasons to set up tubeless, but I don't think the weight savings justify the hassle in this case.

Lighter Fatbike Tube Alternatives | FAT-BIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexrider View Post
    Was thinking that too, but it looks like you can shed almost as much with a lighter tube than will be spec'd. I wouldn't be surprised if the tubes on these are pushing 600g so maybe save ~300g/tire with some Q-tubes 2.4-2.7. Obviously there are other reasons to set up tubeless, but I don't think the weight savings justify the hassle in this case.
    Lighter Fatbike Tube Alternatives | FAT-BIKE.COM
    Oh, nice. Thanks for the heads up. :-)

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Standard Vee Rubber 4.0 tubes usually come in at 420-480g, while the Schwalbe 13F (rated to 3.0) weigh on average 190g, so you can shed up to 600g on the bike with these. We have been testing them for tons of miles and hours on our new 103mm rims with Vee Mission, and they work great. Some folks have reported 13F occasionally rupturing, but we have zero failures so far.
    The 295g Maxxis Freeride 2.2-2.5 works great as well.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    (Kindernay XIV 14 speed internal gear hub with hydraulic sequential shifters)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was looking at the shipping info and it said that for the pro the shipping weight is 30lbs. Shipping weight usually includes the packaging too. Is that right? That would make the bike about 28lbs, that seems a little low to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Not sure where you see that on their site (I tried searching). But that is extremely unlikely. Depending on frame size, I expect the the Pro to come in around 37lbs with the wire bead tires. This is based on a listing from EspenW that their bike was around 35lbs with the folding tires.

With packing material, these are probably in the 40-45 lbs range shipped.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Not sure where you see that on their site (I tried searching). But that is extremely unlikely. Depending on frame size, I expect the the Pro to come in around 37lbs with the wire bead tires. This is based on a listing from EspenW that their bike was around 35lbs with the folding tires.

With packing material, these are probably in the 40-45 lbs range shipped.
    30# is listed on the ups site with the tracking number.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Don't most Fatbikes ship in two packages. The box would be extremely oversize combined
    That 30# figure could be the frame and components less the wheels. Just a thought

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Also, the UPS listed weight could be updated once they actually ship the bikes. We'll find out next week!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just picked up a XT clutch RD for my race bike (Anthem) and will be installing the SLX RD from the Anthem on the fatty. Also going to pick up a Deore rear 10spd shifter to replace the Acera that comes on the Comp model. That will make the drivetrain 3x10, which I may make 2x with a bash guard to avoid snagging any winter gear on the big ring. Hopefully the Somax crank isn't a complete turd and the drivetrain will be fairly reliable going forward. After the drivetrain upgrade, I think I'm just going to run it as is for a while.

What is everyone else's plan for these bikes? I'm interested in what tires will fit...hopefully Bud and Lou are friends with the frame!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    Just picked up a XT clutch RD for my race bike (Anthem) and will be installing the SLX RD from the Anthem on the fatty. Also going to pick up a Deore rear 10spd shifter to replace the Acera that comes on the Comp model. That will make the drivetrain 3x10, which I may make 2x with a bash guard to avoid snagging any winter gear on the big ring. Hopefully the Somax crank isn't a complete turd and the drivetrain will be fairly reliable going forward. After the drivetrain upgrade, I think I'm just going to run it as is for a while.

What is everyone else's plan for these bikes? I'm interested in what tires will fit...hopefully Bud and Lou are friends with the frame!
    I'm probably going to ride this as is for a while (after a quick tear down to make sure everything is greased up and ready to go). After that I might look for some lighter tires. I'm definitely going to add some serious lights for the winter riding season.

This is my first fat bike, and waiting a few more weeks (my ship date is on the 15th) is going to be tough!

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I'll go tubeless or use lighter tubes. I'll probably add On One Floaters after a bit, as well as some grips. I may go 1x with a thumbie or Gripshift. Definitely adding a flask cage. I don't see investing too much money on this bike. I'll use take-offs from other bikes. If I like fat biking, I'll upgrade bikes later and sell off the Moto :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I'll go tubeless or use lighter tubes. I'll probably add On One Floaters after a bit, as well as some grips. I may go 1x with a thumbie or Gripshift. Definitely adding a flask cage. I don't see investing too much money on this bike. I'll use take-offs from other bikes. If I like fat biking, I'll upgrade bikes later and sell off the Moto :-)
    I'm looking to upgrade the tires as well. I do not know much about fat bike tires.

Are the On One floaters a good budget tire ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by epg0 View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade the tires as well. I do not know much about fat bike tires.

Are the On One floaters a good budget tire ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    $130 shipped for 2 with pretty good reviews here and elsewhere. I'm skeptical about the snow capability of the Vee Mission tires that are spec'd on these MB FB4s. Maybe a good summer dirt/cruiser tire.

On-One Floater Fat Tyre / 4.0 inch / 120 TPI / Folding / Black

mtbr member

Re:Upgrades

I think I'll just do an assessment of the bike when it arrives, and I put it together. Things I can see upgrading are, pedals, grips, seat, tubes. I may pick up a set of Floaters if these Vee tires are not enough for snow riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    As of right now, mine will be receiving take off parts from other bikes. SLX drivetrain (still not sure 1x9 or 2x9), grips, seat...and see from there.

mtbr member
    At first, i'm not going to change much. I will add some HOPE parts to give it some bling. the normal things. seat clamp, spacer rings and such. Maybe the tubes, as for the tires being good in the winter...

I ridden a normal 26er & two 29ers with stock tires. They went fine so it stands to reason. These should be better those just off the fact they are much wider and run with less pressure

I'm sure there are betters tires but, they should be fine. I wish they were lighter tho. :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I received my tracking number for a 17Ē Elite todayÖ.Now I guess I just wait. Donít care to much for the 3x9 canít see myself ever using the 44 ring, it will most likely end up as a 1x9 or maybe 2x9 with a little nicer RD depending on what I can dig out the bike parts bin. Once I decide on color scheme Iíll replace the rim tape, grips and small parts here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by GoPlayOutside View Post
    I received my tracking number for a 17Ē Elite todayÖ.Now I guess I just wait. Donít care to much for the 3x9 canít see myself ever using the 44 ring, it will most likely end up as a 1x9 or maybe 2x9 with a little nicer RD depending on what I can dig out the bike parts bin. Once I decide on color scheme Iíll replace the rim tape, grips and small parts here and there.
    Keep the 2 up front... you're going to want them because you want as small a gear as you can get for your granny, but also a bigger gear for the fast stuff. I don't know why they spec'd 3 up either... weird. But good place to put a bash.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    I wish I had seen this thread 2 weeks ago.

If anyone wants to cancel their order for a large (any model) I will gladly take their spot.

Espen, thanks so much for all your valuable input, I hope you sell out of the bikes in Norway.

p.s. Nakamura branded bikes used to sell through a sporting goods chain called SportChek here in Canada, is it the same?
    Last edited by Swerny; 10-07-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    When these arrive, I'd love to hear some feedback. I'm 5'7" and eyeballing the 15". I may just save up and get something from my LBS next year, but if these are pretty good, I'm interested. I like to support my LBS, but I also know they'll likely make more money on upgrades/accessories than they would a new Mukluk, so they win either way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

I'm about your same height and have a green 15" on the way. Looking at the top tube length, I think the small frames will feel more like a medium...just have more standover clearance for the times you want to stop while riding through 3' of powder!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Loser
    I just got the email requesting payment for what I presume is the second shipment (first week of November). Decision time. Has anyone got their bike yet? Any comments?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    No bikes on hand yet. They may ship this week if BD hits the Oct8-15 range listed on the site. So, maybe we will hear of shipping starting tomorrow if were lucky.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    This is my first new bike purchase, and it's been hard waiting. I've got UPS set up to text me with any updates. I hope everything is on track to ship this week and no shipping issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I still have not told the wife, I told her "I found a bike I really like and I am going to get it" and she said "yeah, okay whatever" and went to bed. I have only been married a couple of months. That was her saying it's okay right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

I'd wait until you receive tracking info. Just to play it safe .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowzx View Post
    I still have not told the wife, I told her "I found a bike I really like and I am going to get it" and she said "yeah, okay whatever" and went to bed. I have only been married a couple of months. That was her saying it's okay right?
    That's funny!

Good luck with that. :-)

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowzx View Post
    I've been married over 25 years, and that is exactly what it does not mean, but you can pull the "but you said it was ok" once.

wannabe fat biker
    Sep 2012
    My (future) wife gave up. I have been taking about fat bikes for the last 3 or so years... when I told her a cheaper option was available she only said I had to sell one of my other bikes. ... that only took 6 hours on Craigslist! She isn't nearly as excited as I am about the thought of another bike in shed, but I had permission!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I preordered the $695 model. I'll be sure to post a review of the bike when I get it in the mail...RIGHT after I convert it to tubeless!

mtbr member
    Just posted on the BikesDirect Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9864367&type=3
    Current bikes:
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2015 Framed Alaskan Alloy
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Nice, I can't wait! It sounds like they might even ship ahead of schedule for those of us who got 8/15 shipping dates (it says shipping updates in next 48 hours).

Quote Originally Posted by Kawidan View Post

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by randomsample View Post
    Nice, I can't wait! It sounds like they might even ship ahead of schedule for those of us who got 8/15 shipping dates (it says shipping updates in next 48 hours).
    There is a pic of my 17" elite in the box. I hope they seal it back up good! My shipping dates are for today on the two bikes I ordered so we will see how soon they update the tracking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I sure hope they start shipping today or tomorrow.. I'm taking some me time off from work next week... wife at work, kids in schools and am planning on doing as much MTB'n as possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My On-One Floaters showed up today. I have those and a Specialized Format SL Ti saddle as the first parts to swap. I will weigh all parts for comparisons to document any weight changes for reference.

I also have Bar-Mitts once Winter is in full swing.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post

Espen, thanks so much for all your valuable input, I hope you sell out of the bikes in Norway.
    p.s. Nakamura branded bikes used to sell through a sporting goods chain called SportChek here in Canada, is it the same?
    Same brand, different bikes. Intersport International (based in Switzerland) bought the rights to the Nakamura brand from Intersport Canada back in the 90's.
    We are basically sold out now, so that was approx. 800 Mk2 fatbikes sold in a few weeks, into a population of approx. 4 million, and we could have sold twice that amount easily. Norway is the new fatbike hotspot.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mine shipped today and it will be here in Colorado on Thursday! I wasn't expecting it that soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawidan View Post
    Awesome!

Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Venturewest View Post
    Mine shipped today and it will be here in Colorado on Thursday! I wasn't expecting it that soon.
    Mine is now marked for delivery on Friday - Woooo!

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by randomsample View Post
    Mine is now marked for delivery on Friday - Woooo!
    Ditto! I ordered very early, and I'm in UT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Mine will be here Thursday. I wont be around for delivery to sign. I guess I'll be getting it Friday.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free

mtbr member
    Mine will be here Thursday. I wont be around for delivery to sign. I guess I'll be getting it Friday.

Have a neighbor sign for it or leave a note. The UPS guy might leave it at your back door.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Scheduled for Friday delivery (up to SW Montana).

Going to be a GREAT weekend to build and play

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Mine is scheduled for Friday... Just in time for the weekend

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Might have to play hooky from work on Friday!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Have a neighbor sign for it or leave a note. The UPS guy might leave it at your back door.
    I just tape a note to the door stating that I'm expecting a UPS shipment on the date, sign it, and they will usually leave the package. You can even write something like "please leave it in the garage" or whatever. My UPS guy here in Montana puts the package anywhere I ask.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Those UPS guys are going to be wishing the 120 tpi tires were still on those bikes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    lol Venture

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm in Missouri and scheduled for delivery on Thursday. I wish it was being shipped FedEx so I could have it dropped off at a FedEx store. UPS won't let me change the delivery despite what "my UPS "promises.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    After the selling out of the original shipment, I got on the waitlist for the next round. Yesterday, they sent a PayPal request, and said the next round would ship the first week of November. I paid, and should have a 19" Elite, black, coming my way. Now, I wait.

PS: I, too, would like to thank Espen. He has been very helpful, and represents Nakamura/Diamant very well! I may have never heard of their brand, but now I have a pretty good opinion of them! Too bad they only sell in Norway, I would consider ordering things from them if possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy179 View Post
    I'm in Missouri and scheduled for delivery on Thursday. I wish it was being shipped FedEx so I could have it dropped off at a FedEx store. UPS won't let me change the delivery despite what "my UPS "promises.
    Yea 'ups my choice ' won't work for me either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    PS: I, too, would like to thank Espen. He has been very helpful, and represents Nakamura/Diamant very well! I may have never heard of their brand, but now I have a pretty good opinion of them! Too bad they only sell in Norway, I would consider ordering things from them if possible.
    Agreed. I wish all Mfgrs were this helpful. Especially in this case since he isn't getting anything as a result of his efforts. Best in class!

It would be cool for them to setup US distribution so we could get access to their higher end bikes too. Weights for their Mk3/4 bikes sound great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    According to UPS's tracker, my package only weighs 30.0 lbs.

Is this the real life??!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by I like bicycles. View Post
    According to UPS's tracker, my package only weighs 30.0 lbs.

Is this the real life??!
    When Mike called to explain the tire switch he said these package weights were marked wrong and he got screwed on shipping.

He said these boxes are huge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by I like bicycles. View Post
    Is this the real life??!
    no.

mtbr member
    Mine shipped out too, getting it Monday.

I really wanted it Friday to play with over the weekend

Nompton, OK
    Mine has arrived. Will try and post pics at lunch...

Nompton, OK
    Pro (Blue) 19" no pedals, exactly as it comes out of the box weighs 15.83kg, or 34.89 lbs. on a park scale, way better than I expected!

Loser
    What is the weight savings by going to On-One Floaters? I swear I saw it somewhere, but I can't find it right now. Thinking of ordering a pair ahead of my bike getting here (mid-Nov).

(edit): I think I got it. It looks like the Vee tires are 1810g a piece and the Floaters are 1498g, so going to two Floaters saves 1.38 lbs of rotating mass, seems like a bit of a no brainer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by russ3706 View Post
    Pro (Blue) 19" no pedals, exactly as it comes out of the box weighs 15.83kg, or 34.89 lbs. on a park scale, way better than I expected!
    Under 35lbs even with the heavy tires is great!

What frame size?

Based on EspenW's info (further back in this thread), we should drop 1.5-2.0 lbs with the Floaters.

bigger than you.
    Under 35lbs even with the heavy tires is great!

What frame size?

That 1810g Vee weight

Based on EspenW's info (further back in this thread), we should drop 1.5-2.0 lbs with the Floaters.
    if they're running the 120 tpi Vee Missions, the weight is likely around 1500 grams. the 1810 weight was for the 60 TPI versions, iirc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    These are supposed to come with the 72tpi steel bead versions.

Found EspenW's post...
    Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

Vee page info.
    VRB-321(Mission) - Vee Rubber| vehicle tires, motorcycle tires, bicycle tires , truck and bias tires,bike tires,fat bike

Claimed weight for Vee Rubber Mission 72tpi steel bead is 1930g (per Espen)
    Claimed weight for On-One Floater 120tpi kevlar bead is 1498g (per On-One)

432g (0.95lbs) per tire savings,
    864g (1.90 lbs) total savings!!!

Edit:
    I have 4 Floaters and will have the 4 Missions. I will weigh all and report the real weights for each.

I plan to weight other components for reference since I will break it down a bit to verify assembly.

Nompton, OK
    Size is a 19". Total weight as it came out of the box with no pedals:

34.9 lbs (15.83kgs)

Seems the tires are the lighter version of the 72 TPI. I've ordered a set of On-Once Floaters, so I'll weigh those when I get them, but it's definitely not going to be as big of a weight savings as I had originally thought, which is great as I'll be more apt to use the Missions without as much hesitation for conditions that would favor them over the floaters.

I also purchased a set of Q-Tubes that were ~250 grams each. The stock Motobecane tubes were ~450 grams a piece, so I cut the weight down to a hair over 34 lbs right off the batt.

I have more photos that I'll try and post tonight of other items and their weights (rims, seat, post, etc.)

Didn't have time at lunch to really ride it other than the driveway test. But all indications are great so far! Very nice build quality. Only problem I've found is the front brake cable is too short for the way it is routed, so it rubs the headtube when turning, so I'll simply take the brake lever off and reposition the cable routing.

I'll have a better ride report soon.

Let me know if there are any specific photos, measurements, or areas of the frame you would like photographed and I'll try my best to oblige.

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7515-1-.jpgMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7521-1-.jpgMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7526-1-.jpgMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7516-1-.jpg
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]837903[/ATTACHMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7574-1-.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7542-1-.jpg  

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7517-1-.jpg  

Last edited by russ3706; 10-09-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Nompton, OK
    Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7524-1-.jpgMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7523-1-.jpgMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7535-1-.jpgMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7536-1-.jpgMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7538-1-.jpgMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7540-1-.jpgMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7553-1-.jpgMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7554-1-.jpgMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7571-1-.jpgMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7577-1-.jpgMoto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7578-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Same weight as the 2014 Mukluk2.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    pretty!! Im jealous my man!

Now the bigger question

how does it ride?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Interesting... less weight to be saved.

But OTOH, that means those aren't a true "penalty" like I was expecting. So I may actually use them and alternate between them and the Floaters as needed.

Great color, looks better than the BD pics.

Is yours a 19"?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    How is the build quality and assembly?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Now I really cant wait until Friday, I hope the Black Elite looks just as good as the Blue Pro does. The blue is sharp, it's making me second guess my choice... Do you think the front might hold a 4.7 or 4.8 tire? The rear looks pretty tight to fit anything larger than a 4.0

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nice. Thanks for all the early info and pics Russ.

Edit:
    Question, does the seatpost include height marks?
    It almost looks like it based on the pic in front of the truck.

I plan to add a QR collar for some trials/tech riding and the marks would be great.

aka bOb
    So what is the rear hub width?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post

135mm front and rear (17.5 offset) I believe.

Loser
    Wow, looks great. I am really psyched to get mine now! I guess I won't buy those Floaters just yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    How's the build quality ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    my green one should be here tomorrow. It won't stay stock for long. I need to either slime tubes or go tubeless right off the bat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    26" Mongoose Beast Oversized All Terrain Bike, 26" Mongoose Bike, Mongoose Mens Bike

Looks Like Walmart wants to steal some BD customers, the Red one is on sale.

Nompton, OK
    Question, does the seatpost include height marks?
    It almost looks like it based on the pic in front of the truck.

I plan to add a QR collar for some trials/tech riding and the marks would be great.
    Yes, the seatpost is marked in exactly 1 cm increments. They are not labeled with a number or measurement, just horizontal markings.

Do you think the front might hold a 4.7 or 4.8 tire? The rear looks pretty tight to fit anything larger than a 4.0
    I would like to find out, but I just spent the money on a set of On-One Floaters, so a Bud/Lou attempt will have to wait. There are pics of someone in Europe that fit Bud/Lou to mild success (links below). There's right at about 1/2" of space in the tightest area of the fork and tire in the front, and is the same between the frame and rear tire. It's hard to fit a caliper there, but eyeballing it with a ruler looks at about 0.5" of space on the sides, and plenty more between the crown and top of the tire. The chain clearance when in the largest gear in the rear, and smallest chainring up front sits at 1/4" to 5/16" of clearance.

Google Translate
    Lets See Some Pics Of The 190mm 9:ZERO:7.

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Spacing is 21.5mm according to the designer of the European frame that this is a direct port of. Hubs I've confirmed are 135mm. I don't know of a reliable way to measure the offset to confirm that, but I have complete confidence that EspenW knows what he is talking about.

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes! - Page 10

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Or you can pick up a Wal-goose for the low, low price of $340 on ebay. This person is a genius.

Fat Sand Tire Beach Cruiser Bicycle The Lunar Bi Rover | eBay

Nompton, OK
    The included tubes weighed ~450 grams each. I ordered Q-Tubes online. Interestingly I ordered what I thought were two different tubes, as during my research I found both a 26 x 2.4-2.7" and a 26 x 2.4-2.75" (the blue and red box) being referred to when people said they switched to Q-tubes. Turns out the two tubes seem to be the same, despite the different colored box and different listings online. One was 250 grams, the other 230 grams (keep in mind the Park Scale has a 10 gram resolution). They aired up just fine, no problems so far. I'll carry one of the original tubes as a spare just in case. Definitely the cheapest way to save about of pound of rotating weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7544-1-.jpg  

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7545-1-.jpg  

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7547-1-.jpg  

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-dsc_7546-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Whats the easiest way to go tubeless on this setup?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Weighed all my Floaters:

1410g, 1450g, 1453g, 1470g each = 1447g average
    The delima... which ones to put on the GF's bike

Based on russ' weights:
    1540g, 1560g each = 1550g average

About 100g savings per tire, 200g (0.44lbs) total.

Whats the easiest way to go tubeless on this setup?
    Dude, search... there's many many threads on it.

Do you think the front might hold a 4.7 or 4.8 tire? The rear looks pretty tight to fit anything larger than a 4.0
    You could always get a Carver carbon fork with all the money you saved if the stock one doesn't fit a 5".... probably save another pound too.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post
    135mm front and rear (17.5 offset) I believe.
    21.5mm offset
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    The fork will clear a Bud (and Vee Snowshoe).
    As linked above, one of our 230lb test riders fitted a Lou on the rear, and it did not rub on the stand, but did rub some while riding.
    However, a customer who picked up a Lou where the outermost side knobs had been shaved somewhat (in an vain attempt at making them fit a 170mm 907 frame).
    That setup cleared fine on his Mk2 Mammut.

That said, the Vee Snowshoe is designed specifically for this bike. It is a true 4.7 and it weighs (claimed) 1260g, so the 120tpi Snowshoe will save 400-500g over the 72tpi Missions. Bigger size, taller knobs and lower weight is a decent compromise in my book.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    We've had good luck with the Schwalbe 13F inner tubes. The lightest that has been on my scale was 180g and the heaviest 202g, so they will save 500g over the stock 450g tubes. Rated to 3.0 and have been tested in a Bud on 100mm rim w/o issues.

Tubeless will save even more. I made a 120g setup (including a cup of goo) this winter.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    To Russ-
    Beautiful bike man.

All the guys who are getting this bike, I wanna wish you great success with them.
    I'll get one sooner or later...and knowing my passion for bikes...it will be more sooner than later.
    First I gotta get this foot business out of the way- (I lost my foot and am getting fitted up for a prosthetic). I was sure I'd never use clipless...now i'm finding I need them to keep my prosthetic on my pedals! LOL
    mmmm.clipless with a prosthetic on a fatbike.
    ...Couldn't wish for more. LOL
    Ride on dudes.
    Z
    ...i'll be out there soon...I promise.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    To Russ-
    Beautiful bike man.

All the guys who are getting this bike, I wanna wish you great success with them.
    I'll get one sooner or later...and knowing my passion for bikes...it will be more sooner than later.
    First I gotta get this foot business out of the way- (I lost my foot and am getting fitted up for a prosthetic). I was sure I'd never use clipless...now i'm finding I need them to keep my prosthetic on my pedals! LOL
    mmmm.clipless with a prosthetic on a fatbike.
    ...Couldn't wish for more. LOL
    Ride on dudes.
    Z
    Sorry to hear about your foot. I know, how hard that must be for you. I had a lady friend over the summer loose her leg in a motorcycle accident.

Best wishes bro.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    The fork will clear a Bud (and Vee Snowshoe).
    As linked above, one of our 230lb test riders fitted a Lou on the rear, and it did not rub on the stand, but did rub some while riding.
    However, a customer who picked up a Lou where the outermost side knobs had been shaved somewhat (in an vain attempt at making them fit a 170mm 907 frame).
    That setup cleared fine on his Mk2 Mammut.

That said, the Vee Snowshoe is designed specifically for this bike. It is a true 4.7 and it weighs (claimed) 1260g, so the 120tpi Snowshoe will save 400-500g over the 72tpi Missions. Bigger size, taller knobs and lower weight is a decent compromise in my book.
    That is some good info!

Do you have any photos of the Bud mounted up to the Mk2 fork?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    That is some good info!

Do you have any photos of the Bud mounted up to the Mk2 fork?
    Sure do:
    Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-bilde2.jpg

More pics and discussion:
    Google Translate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!-bilde3.jpg  

Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sorry to hear about your foot. I know, how hard that must be for you. I had a lady friend over the summer loose her leg in a motorcycle accident.

Best wishes bro.
    I'll be OK...sorry to hear about your friend.
    I'm already LMAO thinkin' about how funny I'm gonna look when I crash.LOL
    I hope there isn't any kids around to see it...last time I crashed I laughed harder than the kids did. I was perfectly still...toe clipped in...and the bike just...toppled over.
    ...Funny stuff.
    I'll feel OK doin' it on a fatbike though...gotta get me one for sure.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    First I gotta get this foot business out of the way- (I lost my foot and am getting fitted up for a prosthetic).
    No need to wait for the prosthetic! Check out fatbike owner Nothing's impossible. fatbike films thread He's got all sorts of pictures and videos if you search around.
    Get out there and ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    To those who have their bikes already, what kind of assembly is required? Is there anything in addition to the normal bikes direct steps on their site? Iím building mine at the UPS store and riding it home so I have to bring all the tools Iíll need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by inediblebuffalo View Post
    To those who have their bikes already, what kind of assembly is required? Is there anything in addition to the normal bikes direct steps on their site? Iím building mine at the UPS store and riding it home so I have to bring all the tools Iíll need.
    This is my third bike from BD (as I am still waiting for mine to come in tomorrow).

- Tires are not fully inflated, so bring a presta valve pump.
    - Handle bar needs mounted with allen wrench. **Usually** it will be 6mm if you can't bring the entire set.

The rest are mostly just quick release clamps. They have the crank, fork, brakes, brake lines, and all that installed already.

Loser
    How wide are the handlebars? The Pugs I have on loan has narrow bars and I realize how much I like wider bars (like the one on my RIP).

Never mind, I see it on the BD website, 740mm, plenty wide!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I, too, would like a really wide, albatross-esque bar. 740 seems pretty good, though. I'm just not good at imagining what 74cm looks like, I guess I should convert to inches.

So, what about grips? It's just got some cheap, foam jobs, right? I figure I'll upgrade those first off. I was thinking some of the green, Portland Design Works lock-ons would look nice with the other green accents. My only concern is the metal in the cold weather, but I suppose I'll be wearing gloves anyways. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Does anyone know I where I can get rim tape wide enough to fit the front rim, BD list the rim tape as 95mm. I really like the black and blue scheme used on the Diamant/Nakamura. The widest Surly seems to sell is 75mm which would be fine for the rear, but the way the holes are drilled the front rim I seriously doubt the 75mm would fit.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    The maker of the 95mm strips is confidential info (as other companies have a habit of copying us)...
    However, you could cut down two 75mm strips and run them side by side, attached with a strip of tape in the middle.

That said, we are experimenting with hyper light Tyvek rimstrips these days. Making the strips out of Tyvek maps.
    Weighs around 15g vs. 85g for a 95mm strip. I have actually weighed some 95mm strips in at 120g a piece, so they can vary a lot between makers.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

Does anyone know I where I can get rim tape wide enough to fit the front rim, BD list the rim tape as 95mm. I really like the black and blue scheme used on the Diamant/Nakamura. The widest Surly seems to sell is 75mm which would be fine for the rear, but the way the holes are drilled the front rim I seriously doubt the 75mm would fit.
    You can get lots of different colored tapes online... this is what I used and quality has been good. Just leave the backing on. My first round I took backing off and used a rubber tube... a couple popped through. Leaving backing on works great.

I got the 3" wide reflective stuff. Wheels glow when lights hit them Incom Manufacturing

One 15' roll was enough for 2 wheels with extra.

Name:  CameraZOOM-20121227192311098.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  76.0 KB

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast