Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What number did you call? They hide their phone info well on the site.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    What number did you call? They hide their phone info well on the site.
    It is a phone number that shows up briefly when you try to check out with an item that is out of stock. The lady I spoke to is not in sales, so wasn't helpful with specific details, and only knew if that bike had sold out.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    They made a total of 210 bikes (70pcs per model) so I would assume them to move pretty fast. When they are sold out, ya'll are welcome to cross the pond and buy the bikes that these Motobecanes were based on, and get in some good old fashioned Arctic fatbiking as well

R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes (until mid-December 2016)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Espen, thanks for all the input on these bikes. Like mintrail said, I hope you sell a bunch of yours over there.

As for us over here (USA), I do hope Bikesdirect will get more in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    LOL, yeah. Gonna fix that in the near future too. Funny thing... this purchase eats into the ring fund, but it will happen with Xmas bonus and vacation buy-back at work.
    Aw-right!!!!
    ...I like this reply.
    ...I smell cake...
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    @ zarr, lol thx

@ fightnut, Selling out the Mediums in less than a week is an amazing response. Depending on how they split the 210, that is probably 70-100 bikes. I suspect they will sell out the other sizes in short order too. I'm not in the "industry", but I have to think that is not overly common.

The price is just too good to ignore. I suspect they are already thinking about ordering more. And based on the order confirmation email, they are considering an expansion to the line for higher and lower specs than the 3 current models.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I was able to put in an order for a medium green comp last night but I haven't gotten an order confirmation yet just PayPal receipt. So if these are sold out will I be put on a waiting list or just have my order canceled?

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy179 View Post
    I was able to put in an order for a medium green com last night but I haven't gotten an order confirmation yet just PayPal receipt. So if these are sold out will I be put on a waiting list or just have my order canceled?
    If you check some of the other random listings on bikesdirect... usually when they are sold out of a size they will put **SOLD OUT** in the drop down next to size. If you where able to order one I think you are in the clear. It says on the drop down too that it will say sold out at checkout. Not sure where people are seeing sold out.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    If you add one that is sold out to cart and click the "Check Out" button, it will show an error (The item you selected is unavailable at this time) at the top of the next page and say "Sold Out" in red text under the "Order Summary".

They will probably update the size drop-down box at some point to show what is still available and what is sold out. But this appears to be a manual operation, so there is some delay between it and the actual inventory.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for info. I did receive an order confirmation a few minutes ago so I guess I'm good. When I tried ordering yesterday afternoon, at checkout it said not available so that's why I asked. This is my first Fat bike, but #6 in my "collection". I need to sell some before I'm sleeping on the couch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I just tried ordering the Green one in Medium and it's sold out, looks like they still have the black one in Medium but since this was just to see if I even like fat bikes, I only wanted to spend $700, bummer. if anyone out there changes their mind please let me know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    did you see if they will be getting any more in?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    They don't show stock, it just says sold out when you try to buy it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    They don't show stock, it just says sold out when you try to buy it.
    Well...who knows??
    They might get more.
    But no despair...I believe more cheep fatty's are coming soon...like everything else,start off with a big splash, then the cool down.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    I just tried ordering the Green one in Medium and it's sold out, looks like they still have the black one in Medium but since this was just to see if I even like fat bikes, I only wanted to spend $700, bummer. if anyone out there changes their mind please let me know.
    wanted a green one for the same reasons. $700 was my budget. However, they are sold out so I'm stepping up to the elite. It cost more however, should save me a little in the long fun because of a slightly better build.

My gf is going to kill though. She doesn't understand..

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just show her the price difference to the next best thing outside the BD line. You are saving money even with the extra 2 bills compared to $2k or more for a new one from any other company.

mtbr member
    Just show her the price difference to the next best thing outside the BD line. You are saving money even with the extra 2 bills compared to $2k or more for a new one from any other company.
    That goes without saying but, for her it might need to be said. :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Solo-Rider View Post
    wanted a green one for the same reasons. $700 was my budget. However, they are sold out so I'm stepping up to the elite. It cost more however, should save me a little in the long fun because of a slightly better build.

My gf is going to kill though. She doesn't understand..
    My girlfriend already had something to say about the random $900 toy I just bought

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    HUB SPECS:
    "DISC FREEHUB 9/10SP(ALLOY SHIMANO CASSETTE BODY,3PAWLS AND 3 SPRINGS) W/2 SB+AL END CAPS.14/32 M10*135*145MM AL7075 AXLE, FINISH: ANODIZED BLACK,W/QR"

Does this mean the hub is 135mm wide with a 145mm long axle, or is it a 145mm wide hub? Doesn't make much sense at all to have a super oddball hub width, but stranger things have happened I guess. What do you guys think?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    HUB SPECS:
    "DISC FREEHUB 9/10SP(ALLOY SHIMANO CASSETTE BODY,3PAWLS AND 3 SPRINGS) W/2 SB+AL END CAPS.14/32 M10*135*145MM AL7075 AXLE, FINISH: ANODIZED BLACK,W/QR"

Does this mean the hub is 135mm wide with a 145mm long axle, or is it a 145mm wide hub? Doesn't make much sense at all to have a super oddball hub width, but stranger things have happened I guess. What do you guys think?
    Go through this thread and read everything this dude Espen W has posted and all your answers will be revealed.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by epg0 View Post
    My girlfriend already had something to say about the random $900 toy I just bought

Dude.. your "GF" making a comment about "your" money?

GF?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Fork: 135mm with front specific caliper offset.
    Frame: 100mm BB shell, 135mm spacing with 17.5mm offset
    Found it...buried deep in the thread. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention the first time through.

Thanks for all the replies on here, Espen. Really going above and beyond considering this is your design that is essentially getting ripped off.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    Found it...buried deep in the thread. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention the first time through.

Thanks for all the replies on here, Espen. Really going above and beyond considering this is your design that is essentially getting ripped off.
    Not sure if that's right either.

Our first Mk3 prototypes managed to have clearance with 100mm rear rim and the 17.5mm offset design, but for production, we are going with 190mm spacing/hub in order to make room for the new 4.6/4.7'' tire with 6mm knobs that we are developing with Vee-Rubber.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Not sure if that's right either.

Our first Mk3 prototypes managed to have clearance with 100mm rear rim and the 17.5mm offset design, but for production, we are going with 190mm spacing/hub in order to make room for the new 4.6/4.7'' tire with 6mm knobs that we are developing with Vee-Rubber.
    The BD bikes are the mk2 version, not mk3.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

aka bOb
    It's just so confusing. I quite going back to the bikes I know now

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So it looks like it is either 135mm offset, or 190mm symmetrical.

As long as it is one of those two spacings (or even 170mm for all I care) and not 145mm. Just give us something that is somewhat standard.

mtbr member
    For San Deigo - Zumalts will build and order fatty parts as will SunCoast Cycles had a pugs in shop for a while, Adams Ave and Big Ring Cycle just to name ones around my hood.

All the folks at all the shops are awesome (some more cocky than others)- each shop has its charm - Big Ring has been making fat cruisers for a while - they know fat and can do anything.

I do not work for any of them - I just like the local folks a lot. Spend more at the LBS and get a lot more!

Quote Originally Posted by wrightwoodfilms View Post
    Since I cant seem to get the local shops on board with the fattys I have been pushing these to the not sure about spending the money on a Fatty.. I at least want my friends getting the bug.
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epg0 View Post

My lady doesn't get because she can't see why anyone would want to ride a bike out in the freezing cold. She's from Colombia, so I can see her perspective on this.

Still, I ordered the bike anyway. :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I guess I'll be able to give a fairly good report on these. after riding my muk3, 5 friends ordered either the $700 or $900 models. based on my experience with bikes direct, were having a tear apart and rebuild party for 5. I'll be supervising and teaching mechanical skills while doing some tasty brews.

it's great to have friends be the test subject for these. you'll never pry my " expensive" ride out of my dead pogie toasty hands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by falkry05 View Post
    I guess I'll be able to give a fairly good report on these.
    This should be interesting. Looking forward to your report.
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    I guess I'll be able to give a fairly good report on these. after riding my muk3, 5 friends ordered either the $700 or $900 models. based on my experience with bikes direct, were having a tear apart and rebuild party for 5. I'll be supervising and teaching mechanical skills while doing some tasty brews.

it's great to have friends be the test subject for these. you'll never pry my " expensive" ride out of my dead pogie toasty hands.
    Wow...sounds like a good time for everyone. Whre do you live? Lol
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

MTBR member
    Jan 2007

I've never bought a bike from BD-never thought I would either. However, I picked one up with the intention of trying out fat bikes on the cheap! If I like it, I'll buy a more expensive fat bike next year. I'm an experienced mechanic too, so I fully intend on overhauling the entire bike; I know what I'm getting myself into.

I live in Utah and it can snow up to 6 months a year. I am looking forward to receiving my pseudo-fat bike. I do feel a bit guilty though. I do fundraising locally for our trails and QBP/9:Zero:7 (distro) are just down the street.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm having trouble thinking of these bikes as "imitation fatbikes".
    ...I mean...just because they aren't spec'd like more expensive ones, and the frame/fork quality isn't as good...aren't they still fatbikes?
    (Not meant to criticize anyone...just a thought)
    Thanks
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I believe they're a real fat bike, just low end components like brakes, shifters,etc and questionable assembly quality. Its a great deal of these aren't problems to you. it's a great way to get a lower cost product out and to get people in the sport. once/if the low quality posts fail, you'll upgrade and have your " real" fat bike after having a few winters of fun on the cheap.

oh yeah, I'm up in madison wi. great place to experience the full versatility of these bikes in summer and winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I've never bought a bike from BD-never thought I would either. However, I picked one up with the intention of trying out fat bikes on the cheap! If I like it, I'll buy a more expensive fat bike next year. I'm an experienced mechanic too, so I fully intend on overhauling the entire bike; I know what I'm getting myself into.

I live in Utah and it can snow up to 6 months a year. I am looking forward to receiving my pseudo-fat bike. I do feel a bit guilty though. I do fundraising locally for our trails and QBP/9:Zero:7 (distro) are just down the street.

I have bought over the year's a Santa Cruz, Fuji and two bike from bikes direct. A 26er and a CX bike. To be fair, I never needed to overhaul the bikes I received from them. Sure, I needed to make adjustments and the wheel on my CX bike was bent however, they did replace that.

I'm excited to receive mine as well. From what i've been reading in this thread. It looks like the frame was developed by respected Euro designer.

That's a big plus. I'm sure this will be a quality fat bike.

Good times are a coming! :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If they would only sell the frame or frame/fork as a stand alone...
    ...but I guess that's asking for too much at this time...huh?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    If they would only sell the frame or frame/fork as a stand alone...
    ...but I guess that's asking for too much at this time...huh?
    At this time, parts cost way too much. From, what I've been seeming we're much better off getting a complete bike.

When components prices start coming down. Then it would be cool if they just sold a frame option.

Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That would be a nice option. However, BD seems to offer mainly complete builds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo-Rider View Post
    At this time, parts cost way too much. From, what I've been seeming we're much better off getting a complete bike.

When components prices start coming down. Then it would be cool if they just sold a frame option.

Just my opinion.
    true that...I have the parts already (some)...and I like searching out and building from scratch.If it's done right, it can be cost effective, but not easy.It takes time.
    I been checking bikeisland.com (who partners with Bikes Direct I believe)...but I doubt fatbike frames will show up there.
    ...mmmm.
    ...but what if they do???
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You can check their partner website which sells take-offs/frames/parts/etc with the same business model and bikesdirect. BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping. I've bought some blemished road frames from there, they do a fairly good job describing if its new/damaged/etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ...also...
    Waiting for Bike Nashbar to jump in...like they did with 650b.
    Sometimes the least expected sources are the main ones.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This will be my first fat bike, so I don't know much, but it looks like a good way to get into it. I plan to tear it down and rebuild it, but that's a good night with some friends so I look forward to it. I took a leap with a $1000 SS and sold it to get a $3000 SS. If I do the same with a fat bike then BD did a service to the biking world. I don't care if people think it is a real fat bike, I think I will have "real" fun with it. That's really all that maters right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowzx View Post
    This will be my first fat bike, so I don't know much, but it looks like a good way to get into it. I plan to tear it down and rebuild it, but that's a good night with some friends so I look forward to it. I took a leap with a $1000 SS and sold it to get a $3000 SS. If I do the same with a fat bike then BD did a service to the biking world. I don't care if people think it is a real fat bike, I think I will have "real" fun with it. That's really all that maters right?
    true that...
    no doubt.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You can check their partner website which sells take-offs/frames/parts/etc with the same business model and bikesdirect. BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping. I've bought some blemished road frames from there, they do a fairly good job describing if its new/damaged/etc.
    LOL-
    I must've benn writing at the same time your post appeared.
    ...At any rate...I believe this is the beginning of fatbikes for the masses.
    ...Patience.....
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had a good laugh about that too. I say ride em til they die on the trailside or you die of frostbite. Either way, itll be a fun ride. I'm excited to have a fatbike gang this winter.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Back in April Nashbar posted on their Facebook page hinting about an upcoming fat bike. I would bet they would want to get it available before the snow flies if they have something in the works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bhc View Post
    Back in April Nashbar posted on their Facebook page hinting about an upcoming fat bike. I would bet they would want to get it available before the snow flies if they have something in the works.
    good 2 know.
    ...Maybe pricepoint/Sette too???
    mmmm.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If I was in the industry watching BD sell out of product in a week, I would want to jump in to the market.

And if any in the industry out there are paying attention to this, how about a 1 x9, going real cheap on pedals and saddle, since those are generally upgraded to fit preferences of rider. We see you could easily come in under $1000.
    Last edited by bhc; 09-21-2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added

mtbr member
    May 2011
    wow, those are cheaper than a surly at wholesale, and by a good bit!

I'm tempted to sell my krampus and try one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowzx View Post
    I don't care if people think it is a real fat bike, I think I will have "real" fun with it. That's really all that maters right?
    Honestly, I don't think anyone's said that. Most have agreed these look like great bikes for starters and the upper models will most likely be totally fine for fun on your local trails.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast