Page 4 of 151 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I'm interested to see some user pics starting to show up on here.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    The anti bd ppl crack me up ..

Yes bd sell bikes mostly in the sub 1k range. The bike biz guy picks apart bd bikes as if a like priced trek or diamondback at the lbs doesn't have similar cut corners...

Sigh..
    Nobody has posted an 'anti BD' post here. Just 'caveat emptor' advice. There is a big difference.
    And. By 'bike biz'...I don't sell bikes. At all. I'll pick apart any potential crap I see.
    Last edited by rideit; 09-15-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Hmm... from the product description:

Check the large holes in the rim. Most fat bike rims today are single-wall, one layer of material in the rim. With the cutout single wall rims, the one cool side effect is that you can see the rim tape that bulges out due to the pressure in the tube.

Well. Weinmann DHL80 and DHL100 are both double wall rims. Don't think BD/Motobecane were too involved with the details of development of these bikes, probably because we were the ones who did it for the assembly factory in China. No big deal, though, as they don't ship to Europe. Imitation and flattery and all that.
    Espen, how do the specs on these "Motobecanes" compare to the specs on the BigBoy? Can you give us an idea of weight on the BigBoy?

mtbr member
    The green one dressed up with purple parts would be sick. Hulk themed. ( comic nerd lol)

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I too missed that green one for $695. Guessing that one will weigh in over 40 pounds. I bought a BD 3 speed for one of my daughters this spring. Decent enough for the riding she does, but her riding is not out on snowmobile trails when temps are near 0. I will let someone else be the guinea pig.

mighty sailin' man
    Hmm... from the product description:

Check the large holes in the rim. Most fat bike rims today are single-wall, one layer of material in the rim. With the cutout single wall rims, the one cool side effect is that you can see the rim tape that bulges out due to the pressure in the tube.

Well. Weinmann DHL80 and DHL100 are both double wall rims. Don't think BD/Motobecane were too involved with the details of development of these bikes, probably because we were the ones who did it for the assembly factory in China. No big deal, though, as they don't ship to Europe. Imitation and flattery and all that.

looks like you can give more detail than BD

What made you decide to go with the fatter front rim only?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Yes bd sell bikes mostly in the sub 1k range. The bike biz guy picks apart bd bikes as if a like priced trek or diamondback at the lbs doesn't have similar cut corners...

Sigh..
    Well, I know the Product Managers at both Diamondback and Trek, and I know that they would not take another brands bike, repaint, slap their stickers on it and market it as their own, even though they also have models made at the same assembly factory (in this case Ideal China). I wonder what Specialized would do if some other brand asked the Merida factory (who assembles Fatboy) to build 200 extra Fatboys so that they could sell it under their own brand.
    Still, we don't care, since Ideal only produced 200pcs of these bikes, and they are not sold to Europe. In fact, having someone else copy our bikes is just good marketing for us.
    Last edited by Espen W; 09-16-2013 at 05:32 AM.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Espen, how do the specs on these "Motobecanes" compare to the specs on the BigBoy? Can you give us an idea of weight on the BigBoy?
    Their top of the line bike is essentially the same, but they use FSA stem/bar/post, since we use our own C4 branded parts here.
    Out of the box, the Mk2 Nakamura BigBob/Diamant Mammut sits at right under 15kg (33lbs) in size 15''. Heavy but durable. Mk3 sheds a huge amount of weight (see below). Mk2 comes with with heavy 4.0 inner tubes (vary from 460-520g a piece). Tubeless setup (120g total with goo), Schwalbe 13F (180-200g) or Maxxis Freeride (295g) is the easiest way to shed a bunch of weight right off the bat.
    What will be interesting to see is if the factory will sell our MY14 designs to others as well. That includes a 25lb BigBob 5.0/Mammut F3 with 100mm rims front and rear, 650g fork, 1500g frame, custom Samox PF30 100mm crankset, etc. Production cost of that one is approx 60% higher than the Mk2 bikes, but around 3kg lighter. My own prototype is even lighter at 23lbs, still 100/100 rims and alloy frame and fork (1295g experimental frame), but some of the components are not suitable for mass production.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    looks like you can give more detail than BD

What made you decide to go with the fatter front rim only?
    Clearance issue. The Vee Rubber Mission has a 4.4'' casing width when mounted on the 100mm Weinmann rims, so we had to use 80mm and 4.0 casing width in the rear in order to have chain clearance in the lower gears with the cranks available as OEM at the time the bike was designed (last fall)
    Our first Mk3 prototypes managed to have clearance with 100mm rear rim and the 17.5mm offset design, but for production, we are going with 190mm spacing/hub in order to make room for the new 4.6/4.7'' tire with 6mm knobs that we are developing with Vee-Rubber.
    We made it slightly smaller than the Bud/Lou in order to fit all those frames where Lou just barely don't fit. In addition, it will have holes for up to 300 studs (like the Escalator, just more volume and more studs)
    It will be called Vee-Rubber Snowshoe, and they will show the first prototypes at Interbike.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just ordered a green one, 15 inch. My kids will have a blast on this thing!

Nuts
    Clearance issue. The Vee Rubber Mission has a 4.4'' casing width when mounted on the 100mm Weinmann rims, so we had to use 80mm and 4.0 casing width in the rear in order to have chain clearance in the lower gears with the cranks available as OEM at the time the bike was designed (last fall)
    Our first Mk3 prototypes managed to have clearance with 100mm rear rim and the 17.5mm offset design, but for production, we are going with 190mm spacing/hub in order to make room for the new 4.6/4.7'' tire with 6mm knobs that we are developing with Vee-Rubber.
    We made it slightly smaller than the Bud/Lou in order to fit all those frames where Lou just barely don't fit. In addition, it will have holes for up to 300 studs (like the Escalator, just more volume and more studs)
    It will be called Vee-Rubber Snowshoe, and they will show the first prototypes at Interbike.
    Thanks for the info especially on the tires!

Now rant time: Why are they in just in the prototype stage? When are companies that are making fat bike related parts and complete bikes going to realize that our winter riding starts in November and to make products available for wholesale early enough so people aren't scrambling to get ready and that's if the stuff comes in at all. That is all.
    Last edited by bdundee; 09-16-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    And I love beer!!

Fat & Single
    Cuz winter happens all over the world at different times and we don't even get snow

We need your late winter tyres for our winter... thought we ride them in summer.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to seeing a Go-Pro film of the new DB fatbike owners chortling merrily as they "Float over three feet of soft powder snow or deep sugar sand and laugh!"

Hopefully someone will oblige...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I received this confirmation email this morning:

"Hi, Thank you for pre-ordering a New Motobecane FatBike.

These bikes are being ordered at a rate that has shocked us; and they are sure to sell out before they land. We feel you will be extremely happy with this bike and look forward to your direct feedback on it. Please send your comments to Chris at bd4salesteam@aol.com or post on mtbr.com.

Your new Fat Bike is built by the same factory that builds bikes for Kestrel, Fuji, Specialized, and dozens of other quality brands [including Motobecane]. Even though the price we are selling the FB4 models at is rather low; we feel certain you will find its construction is equal in quality to that of any $2000 Fat Bike.

Bikesdirect has not decided how broad to go in the Fat Bike market. We are considering bikes down to $399 and bikes up to $2500 Ti versions. Your purchase and input will be valuable in our decision making process. "

Thanks again

Be Safe and Have Fun
    Order Processing Team at Bikes Direct

mtbr member
    $399 fat bike? Wow.
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    Wanting a Cross Bike.
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing a Go-Pro film of the new DB fatbike owners chortling merrily as they "Float over three feet of soft powder snow or deep sugar sand and laugh!"

Hopefully someone will oblige...
    super secret spy footage (shhh)

Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

I dislike bikes direct. Their "fire sale" marketing and false msrp numbers are misleading at best and criminal at worst. Some people order from them, thinking they are getting a $2500 bike for $899, but they are just getting an $899 mail order bike. The bikes that are sold on their website aren't sold anywhere else. How can you have msrp numbers for items that aren't sold by retailers?

Also using names of once respected, defunct bicycle brands like Motobecane, Windsor, and Mercier to slap onto cheap chinese bikes that said companies would never touch with a barge pole is also pretty low.

Their bikes may be a decent value, but their marketing practices are pure slimeball stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    Even though the price we are selling the FB4 models at is rather low; we feel certain you will find its construction is equal in quality to that of any $2000 Fat Bike.
    I'm all for these... but this info is false on BD's part... just in tires and wheelset alone. I guess they said "we feel" which basically is an empty thought. Anyway... my 2 cents on that

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    The bikes that are sold on their website aren't sold anywhere else. How can you have msrp numbers for items that aren't sold by retailers?
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Sigh..
    I bought a Motobecane frame from BD that had the head tube bored incorrectly. The headset cup bores were not parallel- not something that a reaming/facing tool is designed to deal with. With a fork installed, the headset bearings would bind up.

BD wouldn't warranty it because they said I "modified" it by installing a headset (which is how I discovered the problem in the first place). In my conversations with several different employees, it was clear that they had very little knowledge of how bikes work.

For what I paid for the frame, I wasn't surprised by the low QC- but I was quite surprised by the poor customer service I received from BD, particularly when you consider what those frames probably cost them. So, yeah- these look like a good value for someone who doesn't need to spend two grand on a fat bike, but wants something better than a Mongoose- but caveat emptor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    I just ordered a green one, 15 inch. My kids will have a blast on this thing!
    Cool ... Enjoy it
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley
    - Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you care about service or support after the sale...shop at your local bike shop.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    If you care about service or support after the sale...shop at your local bike shop.
    That's pretty much it. A coworker was grousing about this concept of bikes that are cheap but don't last, or bikes that are quality and expensive but he knows his teenager won't use it enough to justify the price. So I recommended bikesdirect to him and told him to assemble it as best he could, and I'd clean up the rest and educate him a bit on maintenance.

There are definitely things missing, like the rear disc tabs weren't faced on his bike (a 29er), and tightening the calipers into position only caused them to lose their position.

If you are mechanically inclined and don't mind a few extra pounds, it's certainly one way to go.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    May 2013
    man if I can swing it. I will get one. I like the fatbike I tired (carbon beargrease) but for just fun recreational riding I can not justify spending $6000 for it

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have a bd full sus... couldn't afford a Santa Cruz Bronson, but not many can. For what I paid, it is a great bike.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    yo espen is right.. this BD fatbike is basically the diamant mammut bike rebranded

BD haters don't have a fight in this deal!

In video

Diamant / Nakamura ? Mammut / BigBob Prototype(s) ? Norwegian Fatness! | FAT-BIKE.COM

Utpakking av BIG BOB ? FATBIKE Elisabeth Sveum

Page 4 of 151 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast