Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Meanwhile, thousands of happy people are riding around on bikes they bought from BD.
    Hence wishing the project good fortune.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Meanwhile, thousands of happy people are riding around on bikes they bought from BD.
    True. He is right though, also. There are a lot of cut corners and you definitely need to do a lot of tightening. If this gets the job done though... otherwise it might be awhile before I get one. Might be worth it have just for a year or two.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Might be worth it have just for a year or two.
    Life span of a fat bike is pretty long. We had a post today in the daily pic thread with a sweet Wildfire Fatbike. A little more $ up front can save a ton down the road
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    Life span of a fat bike is pretty long. We had a post today in the daily pic thread with a sweet Wildfire Fatbike. A little more $ up front can save a ton down the road
    I'm not sure what your opinion is. Could you expand?

mighty sailin' man
    The people that are new to fat bikes have choices like never before and we don't know how or in what conditions you ride. If you think you're going to float on 3 feet of powder you will be very disappointed.

Fat bikes that have been made before have been with a little vision of what rubber, hub widths, etc might be coming down the road. From what I can see the BD bikes are made for what they ship with. Not a deal breaker, just something to be aware of

it is a killer price, can't deny that. I sent a few of my pals that have wanted in on fat bikes the link. Just because it's the current low price magnet doesn't mean it's the right option for anyone. Guys like rideit are just trying to get you to look beyond the flashy price
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Yup.
    I am not really trying to dissuade or promote, just providing some insight from my POV.
    These bikes will make some people quite happy, but naturally frustrate more than a few.
    Looks like a good 'starter' bike, to see if all the rest that goes along with fat biking is, indeed, your cup of tea.
    Most of us on these forums are used to fairly high bike quality standards, these won't be in the same league, from what I see.
    That is all.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

That all makes sense. To be fair, you do know how I'll be riding it, that's a few posts up.

I would absolutely love a carbon bear grease, but my spend limit is not that high, or at least, it'll be 18 months to 2 years before I could even think about it. The on one is much closer, but I don't see an enormous difference in components. If this was durable enough to get a couple good years out of, then for my uses it would be a go.

But I don't know much about geometry and I'm not super educated in wheels, so that's why I ask. I might have to just do some more research on the unknown parts and see what I find.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here's another fun fact: The Bikesdirect bikes are actually a copy of these: Diamant / Nakamura ? Mammut / BigBob Prototype(s) ? Norwegian Fatness! | FAT-BIKE.COM
    These were again the same bikes which were used as a prototype by Norco for their fatbike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Thanks for the info. Can someone decipher for me what the HS is? For the headset I'm not sure I understand their description.

Meanwhile, I emailed them to see if rear clearance is limited by the frame or the drive train. And what fork clearance looks like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Rear clearance is limited by drivetrain. Front takes up to 4,8" tires I think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    so, anybody figure out how they are getting a 3x9 to work with 4" tire and a 135-145mm hub, and what appears to be a standard 68/73mm BB?

And as for the rims being different sizes, in the specs pages Weinmann lists the size as 3.0-4 1/4 for their fat bike/chopper rims.

They also list ERTO size(including inside width), and have a picture with the width measurement for each model. The model name pretty much gives away the outside width, with the DHL65 being 65mm wide, DHL80 at 80mm, and DHL100 being 100mm wide.

interesting is the new DHL101, and 102 models. The DHL101 is a lighter double wall 100mm rim, while the DHL102 is a hybrid single/double wall 100mm rim that is basically a single wall with two hollow tubes near the center. The weight is still pretty heavy at 1270g, but might be comparable to, or even lighter than a Clownshoe when drilled out or maybe milled in a Pratt truss design(Northpaw).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It looks suspiciously similar to our Diamant Mammut/ Nakamura BigBob Mk2 models, so they likely run the same 17.5mm offset frame and 100mm BB.
    The rims are likely DHL80 rear and DHL100 front.
    Undrilled, the DHL101 is lighter, but DHL100 is lighter, with the same 2 rows of 32mm hole pattern that we developed with Weinmann for these rims. DHL102 sits at 990g drilled with the same pattern.
    Looks like our assembly factory decided to make our design/spec an open model, not sure if we are too psyched about that, but since BD won't ship to Norway, it is not a big deal for us. However, if they start selling out our new 25lb 100mm/100mm fatbike or the new 23lb 100mm/100mm fat in development, we'll be less than enthusiastic.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
    Vikb - "The Wallbeast was only a BSO [Bike Shaped Object]"

Good one vikb! Almost pissed myself.
    Ditto!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    vikb: then this guy should have been disqualified for not using a bike in the rice..

Fat Bike Slays Sea Otter Classic

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    hope they don't go up too quick before i can get one.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    One of my friends just ordered the Fantom FB4 Comp ($700 model). Once he gets it, I'll put up a decent review, and comparing it to my Muk3

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hmm... from the product description:

Check the large holes in the rim. Most fat bike rims today are single-wall, one layer of material in the rim. With the cutout single wall rims, the one cool side effect is that you can see the rim tape that bulges out due to the pressure in the tube.

Well. Weinmann DHL80 and DHL100 are both double wall rims. Don't think BD/Motobecane were too involved with the details of development of these bikes, probably because we were the ones who did it for the assembly factory in China. No big deal, though, as they don't ship to Europe. Imitation and flattery and all that.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I ordered the 19" comp (cheap one). For $695.00 shipped (no tax)-why the hell not?
    I'm seeing $895 and $995... where did you get $695?

mtbr member
    May 2012

Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

The anti bd ppl crack me up ..

Yes bd sell bikes mostly in the sub 1k range. The bike biz guy picks apart bd bikes as if a like priced trek or diamondback at the lbs doesn't have similar cut corners...

Sigh..

mtbr member
    ...scroll right...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    so, anybody figure out how they are getting a 3x9 to work with 4" tire and a 135-145mm hub, and what appears to be a standard 68/73mm BB?
    Either they are wrong about a 145 rear end, and/or wrong about it being centered, or they are not getting full use on the 3 X 9. And that would be with 100 mm bottom bracket. It will be good to see some clarification of what the bikes really have been built to.
    Latitude 61

addicted to chunk
    I think these are a great option between expensive fat bikes and the horrible walgoose....
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The bright green one, for $695, on the right. As with all BD bikes that I've bought/friends bought, they need a complete tear down and rebuild. The cabling jobs are especially crappy in most cases.

I think it should suffice for a while, just ride it til you break stuff, then replace. I definitely think the durability will be lower compared to any of the higher priced competitors, but I'd love to be surprised if these are comparable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The green one, and cheapest spec, is $695. I notice, in the picture, it appears to have a different front rim, perhaps the narrower rear rim also used on its front. I just emailed them to ask about it, as I was considering buying one, but want the wider front rim.

Quote Originally Posted by falkry05 View Post
    The bright green one, for $695, on the right.
    Wow... space cadet! I'm on my tablet and it cropped to the two on the left. :beer:

Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast