Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I agree with above. It seems that many naysayers like to compare the bikes to more expensive bikes, which BD kind of invites by the way their msrp is inflated. Even with that said, if you compare the bikes to others costing the same, they seem to offer a real value. I have not purchased one, but they have some good deals on the spec sheets.
    I like the idea of supporting an LBS, but if a $695 fat bike allows someone to get in to one that otherwise they would not be able to afford , then I think that is great.
    Also, any shop that has worthy mechanics will still service your bike, even if you didn't buy it there.
    Buy a $30 Park tool bike mechanics manual and you should be able to do most minor work yourself. It's cheap and rewarding .
    Is the 695 mb going to be as good as a Mukluk or a Pugsley? I would say no, but a reasonable person shouldn't have that expectation.
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post
    $399 fat bike? Wow.
    I'm betting the $399 fat bike will be a single speed. Which might be a great deal since a lot of us have shifters, derailleurs, cassette's, etc. in our bins at home. No sense in paying for low end comps on the $700 bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I would like to try out one of these fat bikes. Its hard to beat the price for a starter fat bike.

I can not decide between the comp ($695) and the Elite ($895). Is the $200 price difference worth it at that point?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Since the top of the line BD bike is essentially a rebadged Diamant Mammut:
    We got a massive (140 pages+) general fatbike thread over at the Norwegian MTB forum, where we constantly add info about testing, development, etc. Just added info about our new 895g 103mm rims. In addition, one of our customers just mounted Bud/Lou with fork/frame/chain clearance on our MK2 bikes, etc. (on page 140)
    [terrengsykkel.no] Arena - Er fat-bike et bra konsept?
    For those few of you not well versed in the Norwegian language, run the page(s) through Google translate for a semi-accurate translation of the Norse alphabet soup.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    Kindernay on BikeRumor: https://goo.gl/iQtWxu

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Do you have the geometry numbers for the various frame sizes listed anywhere?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Do you have the geometry numbers for the various frame sizes listed anywhere?
    Indeed:
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was thinking the same thing. But after looking at some of the specs I just went with the top end one. The folding bead tires are about 1 1/2 lbs lighter than the wire. And the drive components and brakes are a little better, I figured it would be worth the extra coin.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    this bike looks wonderful.. thinking of selling my pug for one of these and pocket some $

For the even slightly price conscious folks, why would anyone get a muk over this?

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Truth in Advertising

If you click on the picture of thefront tire on BD page, you will see that tire is not 120 tpi, but 72. It is a Vee Rubber Mission tire. Check out the review one MTBR rider gave of those.

Mini tire review: Vee Rubber Mission 26"x4.0"

So figure in a few more dollars for tires, unless as the reviewer said you are just buying it as a cruiser.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    The 72tpi Vee Missions weigh around 1470g, while the new 120tpi ones consistently weigh in at around 1420g, so rather small weight difference between their 72tpi and 120tpi now. I run some of the previous generation (from January) 120Tpi versions that are around 1370g. Works great as an allround tire. Better than the Vee-8 that has gotten some good reviews. The really old ones were 1800g +.
    Last edited by Espen W; 09-17-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Well the claim that they will float over 3' of powder snow might be stretching it a bit.
    To be fair, BikesDirect is in Texas.........

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Green or Black ...

These look like they will be fun for the Chicago winter coming up.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the actual frame/fork spacing and offset on these?

What about the bottom bracket size?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by juxtaposition View Post
    Does anyone know the actual frame/fork spacing and offset on these?

What about the bottom bracket size?
    Fork: 135mm with front specific caliper offset.
    Frame: 100mm BB shell, 135mm spacing with 17.5mm offset
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    I already received an email with a UPS tracking number. The date of shipment is October 15th. I'm just hoping I won't see a delay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think that Espen W's info actually helps push the BD fat bikes. Not so strange since he created them, but people were more sceptical of them before he showed up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    bhc said: "If you click on the picture of thefront tire on BD page, you will see that tire is not 120 tpi, but 72. It is a Vee Rubber Mission tire. Check out the review one MTBR rider gave of those.

Mini tire review: Vee Rubber Mission 26"x4.0"

So figure in a few more dollars for tires, unless as the reviewer said you are just buying it as a cruiser."

Keep in mind that this is one persons review on his local trails.

Hardly enough input to form any kind of an opinion.

Norðwegr
    My Mammut is great, my cheapest bike to date and probably the one I have the most /fun/ on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epg0 View Post
    Green or Black ...

These look like they will be fun for the Chicago winter coming up.
    Yes, they do.

I think its cool that they took the plunge in what's seen at this time to be a low volume biz. But, like anything. The more people you bring to the party, the bigger the party gets.

I'm new to the fat bike scene so if it was me. I'd go green. Looking at the photos it sure looks like a nice frame. The frame looks upgradable should you decide on it.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo-Rider View Post
    Yes, they do.

I think its cool that they took the plunge in what's seen at this time to be a low volume biz. But, like anything. The more people you bring to the party, the bigger the party gets.

I'm new to the fat bike scene so if it was me. I'd go green. Looking at the photos it sure looks like a nice frame. The frame looks upgradable should you decide on it.

Good luck.
    I pulled the trigger on the black one hah.

I am still debating if I should of just went with the green and used the extra $200 towards minor upgrades or winter clothes, since I am new to the scene was well.

I might switch it up before they sell out of 19 inch.

mtbr member
    I pulled the trigger on the black one hah.

I am still debating if I should of just went with the green and used the extra $200 towards minor upgrades or winter clothes, since I am new to the scene was well.

I might switch it up before they sell out of 19 inch.
    The black looks cool. Besides, what's done, is done. Be happy and congrats. Damn, i need the 17 inch in green. You think if I send them an email they will save me one. LOL!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Timing is funny sometimes. I've been thinking about a fatty for months, but I'm trying to save for some home improvements. Got the BD email about the bikes last night and really thought about ordering since the price is so reasonable.

This morning my GF mentioned seeing some fat bike pics on Pinterest. She loves the snow and thought those would be major winter fun. I showed her the BD bikes and she was thrilled. I got a text from her later this morning that she was daydreaming about them all the way to, and during work. Gotta admit I spent too much time researching these when I should have been doing other stuff.

She was giddy all day looking at the site and sharing the link with friend. So I bit the bullet and ordered 2 Pro models in medium. I think she is more excited that I am. Gotta love a girl that says "to hell with the roof until Spring" so we can buy more bikes.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Gotta love a girl that says "to hell with the roof until Spring" so we can buy more bikes.
    So what's this whole "girlfriend" thing about then?

Can't stand this song but Beyoncé - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) - YouTube
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    LOL, yeah. Gonna fix that in the near future too. Funny thing... this purchase eats into the ring fund, but it will happen with Xmas bonus and vacation buy-back at work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    After a night of drinking come home to see the ad for these things on FB. I had to have one at that price. After bit of comparing I just ordered the cheapest one...I wanted the green frame, it really came down to that for me. I would have ordered a more expensive model if it came in green. I can't wait to try this thing out. The real goal is to not upgrade the hell out of it like every other bike I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey101 View Post
    The real goal is to not upgrade the hell out of it like every other bike I own.
    Gooood luck with that
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Bought the Green One

Does anyone know how these wheels would compare in quality, durability, and weight to the On One? I may still be interested in the On One bundle if the wheels are a lot better.

It looks like the upgrades between the Green and Black are just items I would want to upgrade anyways, so I may go for the green.

I pulled the trigger on the green one, so once I get the bike I will post some reviews.

Man I have been wanting a fat bike for winter.
    Last edited by Venturewest; 09-18-2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: changed

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It says on the cover 'aluminum' for the frame material, and then says 'alloy' on the bike specs...sorta contradicting itself...this seems like a good deal to get my foot in the door over, since I'm in the market for fatbikes. Should I preorder??

mtbr member
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Quote Originally Posted by I like bicycles. View Post
    It says on the cover 'aluminum' for the frame material, and then says 'alloy' on the bike specs...
    Last edited by duggus; 09-19-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Venturewest View Post
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]Does anyone know how these wheels would compare in quality, durability, and weight to the On One? I may still be interested in the On One bundle if the wheels are a lot better.
    Not quite sure who makes the rim on the On-One , but I seem to remember that they are 70mm? The Motobecane has Weinmann DHL 100 front and DHL80 rear. Both weigh approx. 1070g when drilled with 32mm holes, are double walled and very strong. Weinmann/Rigida is pretty much the biggest manufacturer of rims in the world. Pretty much all the new fatbikes of various brands that are coming out for MY14, that don't use Surly rims (made by Alex Rims) are made by Weinmann. Many use the single wall HL80 (990g drilled with 32mm holes), and some use the double wall versions. Check pics of the prototype Felt fatbike, for example.
    Spokes are Pillar 14ga and Pillar brass nipples. Rear hub is Deore, front hubs is a KT made one. (KT (and Joytech) makes pretty much all hubs on the market, regardless of brand name stuck on them (ZIPP, etc).
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Not quite sure who makes the rim on the On-One , but I seem to remember that they are 70mm? The Motobecane has Weinmann DHL 100 front and DHL80 rear. Both weigh approx. 1070g when drilled with 32mm holes, are double walled and very strong. Weinmann/Rigida is pretty much the biggest manufacturer of rims in the world. Pretty much all the new fatbikes of various brands that are coming out for MY14, that don't use Surly rims (made by Alex Rims) are made by Weinmann. Many use the single wall HL80 (990g drilled with 32mm holes), and some use the double wall versions. Check pics of the prototype Felt fatbike, for example.
    Spokes are Pillar 14ga and Pillar brass nipples. Rear hub is Deore, front hubs is a KT made one. (KT (and Joytech) makes pretty much all hubs on the market, regardless of brand name stuck on them (ZIPP, etc).
    Thanks for the information. I ordered the cheapest of the 3 bikes, but now I have noticed that the green bike has 28mm holes. Also in the photo it only has one row of holes. Do you think it just has the 80mm rim front and back or do you think this is a differant rim altogether?

I found your attachment of the geometry and looked that over. I am 5'11", do you think a medium or large would fit the best? What are your thoughts on the 120tpi versus 27 tpi tires? I am kind of thinking I should have bought the PRO.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Venturewest; 09-19-2013 at 05:34 AM. Reason: change of questions

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Venturewest View Post
    Thanks for the information. I ordered the cheapest of the 3 bikes, but now I have noticed that the green bike has 28mm holes. Also in the photo it only has one row of holes. Do you think it just has the 80mm rim front and back or do you think this is a differant rim altogether?

I found your attachment of the geometry and looked that over. I am 5'11", do you think a medium or large would fit the best? What are your thoughts on the 120tpi versus 27 tpi tires? I am kind of thinking I should have bought the PRO.

Thanks again.
    Very likely the same rims. Looks like 100mm front. Size M (17'' (c-t)) is correct.
    Don't recall the weight of the 27tpi tires, but 120tpi are only around 50g lighter than the 72tpi ones.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Very likely the same rims. Looks like 100mm front. Size M (17'' (c-t)) is correct.
    Don't recall the weight of the 27tpi tires, but 120tpi are only around 50g lighter than the 72tpi ones.
    So just to clarify, you think that the green bike's front rim also looks like a 100mm but with only one row of holes drilled instead of two? Does Weinnman produce an 80mm and 100mm rim that has 28mm instead of 32mm holes?
    Thanks for your help!

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Yep, I have seen a number of bikes with HL80 and DHL80 with 28mm holes instead of the 32mm pattern that we developed with them quite a while back.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

Fat & Single
    You's Statesiders are lucky to have these at such a good price, if we had these bikes available here they would sell like hot-cakes, i would even buy the missus one and she doesn't even ride.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    May 2012
    how is aluminum as fork material? compared to steel?

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    Quite nice material. We are running a 650g aluminum fork (@ 200mm steerer) that is fully CEN approved on our upcoming Mk3 models.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

Fat & Single
    Steel is the best material for a fork and a frame in my opinion. BUT the cush of a fatbikes tyres will even the field easily, alu is lighter than steel but not as light as carbon.

Fatbikes kind of break the rule of trail compliance because of the smoothness of the phat tyres.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Come on... sorry... I'm not trying to be a jerk... but some of these comments????

WHY would aluminum be any different for a fork than it is for the rest of the bike? 90% of all other fat bikes are aluminum with aluminum forks... except Surly... so they are the minority. Again... not trying to be a jerk... but some of you guys need to do a little more research on your own and less hand holding from the forums (that already have all these answers, again... if you search on your own).

Fat & Single
    Duggus you posted 1min after me.... a bit of bold and smileys going on there so you are probably not referring to my post ?

I will just clarify, i currently have 4 bikes and all are fully rigid, ive had 11 bikes in the past 6 years. I have carbon wheels on 2 of my current rides.

Ive owned and still own.... a full alu rigid, full carbon rigid, Scandium with carbon rigid (still have the one9), Ti with carbon rigid (still have the obeast), Steel with carbon rigid (still have the indy fab) and the mukluk was Alu with steel, and got a fully carbon CX though that doesn't count. The rest are FS bikes, material doesnt really matter with them.

There is no noticeable difference on a fatbike apart from the back end.... the post in question was about the fork.

On regular bikes with 2.2" tyres there's no doubt IMO that steel is the nicest frame material, alu and carbon feel exactly the same....scandium feels a little bit different, thats why i have kept my one9 rather than downgrade to the NEW hydroformed One9.

The only thing that anyone will feel with a steel fatbike fork over an alloy fatbike fork is weight, the big old tyre will suck up the difference in both, you might as well go carbon.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Duggus you posted 1min after me.... a bit of bold and smileys going on there so you are probably not referring to my post ?
    No... I wasn't... was referring to the post I quoted and some others. Wasn't trying to rip on anyone too bad... just lots of questions lately that could easily be answered by a quick google/bing/etc search. So is the world of forums, right

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Tires

You have been very generous with the information. Much appreciated.
    One more question for you or anyone else.

Is there much of a difference in general between folding bead or wire bead. The Pro is folding and elite is wire in the 120 TPI.

I ended up getting a refund on the COMP and now deciding between the other two models.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Folding is usually much lighter. Double check that they are indeed 120tpi, as Vee Rubber almost doubled the price on the 120s overnight, but started offering an only slightly heavier 72tpi at the old 120tpi price. My guess is that they are both 72tpi. Check the pics.
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Medium PRO sold out

Wow! I was just getting ready to buy the PRO in medium and it is already sold out. I grabbed the Elite.

Thanks for the info on the tires. Guess I am getting wire bead.

mtbr member
    And what about Alloy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Folding is usually much lighter. Double check that they are indeed 120tpi, as Vee Rubber almost doubled the price on the 120s overnight, but started offering an only slightly heavier 72tpi at the old 120tpi price. My guess is that they are both 72tpi. Check the pics.
    The pic shows all three have 72tpi.

The specs say that the comp has a 27 tpi wire

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post

I will just clarify, i currently have 4 bikes and all are fully rigid, ive had 11 bikes in the past 6 years. I have carbon wheels on 2 of my current rides.

Ive owned and still own.... a full alu rigid, full carbon rigid, Scandium with carbon rigid (still have the one9), Ti with carbon rigid (still have the obeast), Steel with carbon rigid (still have the indy fab) and the mukluk was Alu with steel, and got a fully carbon CX though that doesn't count. The rest are FS bikes, material doesnt really matter with them.

There is no noticeable difference on a fatbike apart from the back end.... the post in question was about the fork.

On regular bikes with 2.2" tyres there's no doubt IMO that steel is the nicest frame material, alu and carbon feel exactly the same....scandium feels a little bit different, thats why i have kept my one9 rather than downgrade to the NEW hydroformed One9.

The only thing that anyone will feel with a steel fatbike fork over an alloy fatbike fork is weight, the big old tyre will suck up the difference in both, you might as well go carbon.
    I have had whippy aluminum bikes with a ton of flex in the frame and fork, (trek 8000/kinesis fork). I also have had unforgiving rigid steel bikes that will bet you to a pulp (OS steel frame with karate monkey fork that was about as compliant as a Cannonade pepperoni).
    It is how the product is engineered rather than what it is made out of that determines the ride.
    Although steel has a higher modulus of elasticity than Alu I doubt it is a big factor with Fatbikes.... other than steel will eventually rust.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Green Medium is gone also

If you want a medium Fantom FB4 you better get on it. The greens are also sold out. Just a few black ones left I think. The elites. I called BD and they said that the specs should be right. The photos were taken at the factory, but the specs should be more current, although the rep I spoke to said verify that with sales.
    The pic shows all three have 72tpi.

The specs say that the comp has a 27 tpi wire

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What number did you call? They hide their phone info well on the site.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What number did you call? They hide their phone info well on the site.
    It is a phone number that shows up briefly when you try to check out with an item that is out of stock. The lady I spoke to is not in sales, so wasn't helpful with specific details, and only knew if that bike had sold out.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    They made a total of 210 bikes (70pcs per model) so I would assume them to move pretty fast. When they are sold out, ya'll are welcome to cross the pond and buy the bikes that these Motobecanes were based on, and get in some good old fashioned Arctic fatbiking as well

Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Espen, thanks for all the input on these bikes. Like mintrail said, I hope you sell a bunch of yours over there.

As for us over here (USA), I do hope Bikesdirect will get more in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    LOL, yeah. Gonna fix that in the near future too. Funny thing... this purchase eats into the ring fund, but it will happen with Xmas bonus and vacation buy-back at work.
    Aw-right!!!!
    ...I like this reply.
    ...I smell cake...
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    @ zarr, lol thx

@ fightnut, Selling out the Mediums in less than a week is an amazing response. Depending on how they split the 210, that is probably 70-100 bikes. I suspect they will sell out the other sizes in short order too. I'm not in the "industry", but I have to think that is not overly common.

The price is just too good to ignore. I suspect they are already thinking about ordering more. And based on the order confirmation email, they are considering an expansion to the line for higher and lower specs than the 3 current models.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I was able to put in an order for a medium green comp last night but I haven't gotten an order confirmation yet just PayPal receipt. So if these are sold out will I be put on a waiting list or just have my order canceled?

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy179 View Post
    I was able to put in an order for a medium green com last night but I haven't gotten an order confirmation yet just PayPal receipt. So if these are sold out will I be put on a waiting list or just have my order canceled?
    If you check some of the other random listings on bikesdirect... usually when they are sold out of a size they will put **SOLD OUT** in the drop down next to size. If you where able to order one I think you are in the clear. It says on the drop down too that it will say sold out at checkout. Not sure where people are seeing sold out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    If you add one that is sold out to cart and click the "Check Out" button, it will show an error (The item you selected is unavailable at this time) at the top of the next page and say "Sold Out" in red text under the "Order Summary".

They will probably update the size drop-down box at some point to show what is still available and what is sold out. But this appears to be a manual operation, so there is some delay between it and the actual inventory.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for info. I did receive an order confirmation a few minutes ago so I guess I'm good. When I tried ordering yesterday afternoon, at checkout it said not available so that's why I asked. This is my first Fat bike, but #6 in my "collection". I need to sell some before I'm sleeping on the couch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I just tried ordering the Green one in Medium and it's sold out, looks like they still have the black one in Medium but since this was just to see if I even like fat bikes, I only wanted to spend $700, bummer. if anyone out there changes their mind please let me know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    did you see if they will be getting any more in?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    They don't show stock, it just says sold out when you try to buy it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    They don't show stock, it just says sold out when you try to buy it.
    Well...who knows??
    They might get more.
    But no despair...I believe more cheep fatty's are coming soon...like everything else,start off with a big splash, then the cool down.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    I just tried ordering the Green one in Medium and it's sold out, looks like they still have the black one in Medium but since this was just to see if I even like fat bikes, I only wanted to spend $700, bummer. if anyone out there changes their mind please let me know.
    wanted a green one for the same reasons. $700 was my budget. However, they are sold out so I'm stepping up to the elite. It cost more however, should save me a little in the long fun because of a slightly better build.

My gf is going to kill though. She doesn't understand..

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just show her the price difference to the next best thing outside the BD line. You are saving money even with the extra 2 bills compared to $2k or more for a new one from any other company.

mtbr member
    Just show her the price difference to the next best thing outside the BD line. You are saving money even with the extra 2 bills compared to $2k or more for a new one from any other company.
    That goes without saying but, for her it might need to be said. :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

wanted a green one for the same reasons. $700 was my budget. However, they are sold out so I'm stepping up to the elite. It cost more however, should save me a little in the long fun because of a slightly better build.

My gf is going to kill though. She doesn't understand..
    My girlfriend already had something to say about the random $900 toy I just bought

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    HUB SPECS:
    "DISC FREEHUB 9/10SP(ALLOY SHIMANO CASSETTE BODY,3PAWLS AND 3 SPRINGS) W/2 SB+AL END CAPS.14/32 M10*135*145MM AL7075 AXLE, FINISH: ANODIZED BLACK,W/QR"

Does this mean the hub is 135mm wide with a 145mm long axle, or is it a 145mm wide hub? Doesn't make much sense at all to have a super oddball hub width, but stranger things have happened I guess. What do you guys think?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    HUB SPECS:
    "DISC FREEHUB 9/10SP(ALLOY SHIMANO CASSETTE BODY,3PAWLS AND 3 SPRINGS) W/2 SB+AL END CAPS.14/32 M10*135*145MM AL7075 AXLE, FINISH: ANODIZED BLACK,W/QR"

Does this mean the hub is 135mm wide with a 145mm long axle, or is it a 145mm wide hub? Doesn't make much sense at all to have a super oddball hub width, but stranger things have happened I guess. What do you guys think?
    Go through this thread and read everything this dude Espen W has posted and all your answers will be revealed.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My girlfriend already had something to say about the random $900 toy I just bought

Dude.. your "GF" making a comment about "your" money?

GF?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Fork: 135mm with front specific caliper offset.
    Frame: 100mm BB shell, 135mm spacing with 17.5mm offset
    Found it...buried deep in the thread. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention the first time through.

Thanks for all the replies on here, Espen. Really going above and beyond considering this is your design that is essentially getting ripped off.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittetoe761 View Post
    Found it...buried deep in the thread. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention the first time through.

Thanks for all the replies on here, Espen. Really going above and beyond considering this is your design that is essentially getting ripped off.
    Not sure if that's right either.

Our first Mk3 prototypes managed to have clearance with 100mm rear rim and the 17.5mm offset design, but for production, we are going with 190mm spacing/hub in order to make room for the new 4.6/4.7'' tire with 6mm knobs that we are developing with Vee-Rubber.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Not sure if that's right either.

Our first Mk3 prototypes managed to have clearance with 100mm rear rim and the 17.5mm offset design, but for production, we are going with 190mm spacing/hub in order to make room for the new 4.6/4.7'' tire with 6mm knobs that we are developing with Vee-Rubber.
    The BD bikes are the mk2 version, not mk3.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

aka bOb
    It's just so confusing. I quite going back to the bikes I know now

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So it looks like it is either 135mm offset, or 190mm symmetrical.

As long as it is one of those two spacings (or even 170mm for all I care) and not 145mm. Just give us something that is somewhat standard.

mtbr member
    For San Deigo - Zumalts will build and order fatty parts as will SunCoast Cycles had a pugs in shop for a while, Adams Ave and Big Ring Cycle just to name ones around my hood.

All the folks at all the shops are awesome (some more cocky than others)- each shop has its charm - Big Ring has been making fat cruisers for a while - they know fat and can do anything.

I do not work for any of them - I just like the local folks a lot. Spend more at the LBS and get a lot more!

Quote Originally Posted by wrightwoodfilms View Post
    Since I cant seem to get the local shops on board with the fattys I have been pushing these to the not sure about spending the money on a Fatty.. I at least want my friends getting the bug.
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

mtbr member

My lady doesn't get because she can't see why anyone would want to ride a bike out in the freezing cold. She's from Colombia, so I can see her perspective on this.

Still, I ordered the bike anyway. :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I guess I'll be able to give a fairly good report on these. after riding my muk3, 5 friends ordered either the $700 or $900 models. based on my experience with bikes direct, were having a tear apart and rebuild party for 5. I'll be supervising and teaching mechanical skills while doing some tasty brews.

it's great to have friends be the test subject for these. you'll never pry my " expensive" ride out of my dead pogie toasty hands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by falkry05 View Post
    I guess I'll be able to give a fairly good report on these.
    This should be interesting. Looking forward to your report.
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    I guess I'll be able to give a fairly good report on these. after riding my muk3, 5 friends ordered either the $700 or $900 models. based on my experience with bikes direct, were having a tear apart and rebuild party for 5. I'll be supervising and teaching mechanical skills while doing some tasty brews.

it's great to have friends be the test subject for these. you'll never pry my " expensive" ride out of my dead pogie toasty hands.
    Wow...sounds like a good time for everyone. Whre do you live? Lol
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Niner RLT9

MTBR member
    Jan 2007

I've never bought a bike from BD-never thought I would either. However, I picked one up with the intention of trying out fat bikes on the cheap! If I like it, I'll buy a more expensive fat bike next year. I'm an experienced mechanic too, so I fully intend on overhauling the entire bike; I know what I'm getting myself into.

I live in Utah and it can snow up to 6 months a year. I am looking forward to receiving my pseudo-fat bike. I do feel a bit guilty though. I do fundraising locally for our trails and QBP/9:Zero:7 (distro) are just down the street.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm having trouble thinking of these bikes as "imitation fatbikes".
    ...I mean...just because they aren't spec'd like more expensive ones, and the frame/fork quality isn't as good...aren't they still fatbikes?
    (Not meant to criticize anyone...just a thought)
    Thanks
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I believe they're a real fat bike, just low end components like brakes, shifters,etc and questionable assembly quality. Its a great deal of these aren't problems to you. it's a great way to get a lower cost product out and to get people in the sport. once/if the low quality posts fail, you'll upgrade and have your " real" fat bike after having a few winters of fun on the cheap.

oh yeah, I'm up in madison wi. great place to experience the full versatility of these bikes in summer and winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I've never bought a bike from BD-never thought I would either. However, I picked one up with the intention of trying out fat bikes on the cheap! If I like it, I'll buy a more expensive fat bike next year. I'm an experienced mechanic too, so I fully intend on overhauling the entire bike; I know what I'm getting myself into.

I live in Utah and it can snow up to 6 months a year. I am looking forward to receiving my pseudo-fat bike. I do feel a bit guilty though. I do fundraising locally for our trails and QBP/9:Zero:7 (distro) are just down the street.

I have bought over the year's a Santa Cruz, Fuji and two bike from bikes direct. A 26er and a CX bike. To be fair, I never needed to overhaul the bikes I received from them. Sure, I needed to make adjustments and the wheel on my CX bike was bent however, they did replace that.

I'm excited to receive mine as well. From what i've been reading in this thread. It looks like the frame was developed by respected Euro designer.

That's a big plus. I'm sure this will be a quality fat bike.

Good times are a coming! :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If they would only sell the frame or frame/fork as a stand alone...
    ...but I guess that's asking for too much at this time...huh?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    If they would only sell the frame or frame/fork as a stand alone...
    ...but I guess that's asking for too much at this time...huh?
    At this time, parts cost way too much. From, what I've been seeming we're much better off getting a complete bike.

When components prices start coming down. Then it would be cool if they just sold a frame option.

Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That would be a nice option. However, BD seems to offer mainly complete builds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    At this time, parts cost way too much. From, what I've been seeming we're much better off getting a complete bike.

When components prices start coming down. Then it would be cool if they just sold a frame option.

Just my opinion.
    true that...I have the parts already (some)...and I like searching out and building from scratch.If it's done right, it can be cost effective, but not easy.It takes time.
    I been checking bikeisland.com (who partners with Bikes Direct I believe)...but I doubt fatbike frames will show up there.
    ...mmmm.
    ...but what if they do???
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You can check their partner website which sells take-offs/frames/parts/etc with the same business model and bikesdirect. BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping. I've bought some blemished road frames from there, they do a fairly good job describing if its new/damaged/etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ...also...
    Waiting for Bike Nashbar to jump in...like they did with 650b.
    Sometimes the least expected sources are the main ones.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This will be my first fat bike, so I don't know much, but it looks like a good way to get into it. I plan to tear it down and rebuild it, but that's a good night with some friends so I look forward to it. I took a leap with a $1000 SS and sold it to get a $3000 SS. If I do the same with a fat bike then BD did a service to the biking world. I don't care if people think it is a real fat bike, I think I will have "real" fun with it. That's really all that maters right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowzx View Post
    This will be my first fat bike, so I don't know much, but it looks like a good way to get into it. I plan to tear it down and rebuild it, but that's a good night with some friends so I look forward to it. I took a leap with a $1000 SS and sold it to get a $3000 SS. If I do the same with a fat bike then BD did a service to the biking world. I don't care if people think it is a real fat bike, I think I will have "real" fun with it. That's really all that maters right?
    true that...
    no doubt.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You can check their partner website which sells take-offs/frames/parts/etc with the same business model and bikesdirect. BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping. I've bought some blemished road frames from there, they do a fairly good job describing if its new/damaged/etc.
    LOL-
    I must've benn writing at the same time your post appeared.
    ...At any rate...I believe this is the beginning of fatbikes for the masses.
    ...Patience.....
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had a good laugh about that too. I say ride em til they die on the trailside or you die of frostbite. Either way, itll be a fun ride. I'm excited to have a fatbike gang this winter.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Back in April Nashbar posted on their Facebook page hinting about an upcoming fat bike. I would bet they would want to get it available before the snow flies if they have something in the works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bhc View Post
    Back in April Nashbar posted on their Facebook page hinting about an upcoming fat bike. I would bet they would want to get it available before the snow flies if they have something in the works.
    good 2 know.
    ...Maybe pricepoint/Sette too???
    mmmm.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If I was in the industry watching BD sell out of product in a week, I would want to jump in to the market.

And if any in the industry out there are paying attention to this, how about a 1 x9, going real cheap on pedals and saddle, since those are generally upgraded to fit preferences of rider. We see you could easily come in under $1000.
    Last edited by bhc; 09-21-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: added

mtbr member
    May 2011
    wow, those are cheaper than a surly at wholesale, and by a good bit!

I'm tempted to sell my krampus and try one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowzx View Post
    I don't care if people think it is a real fat bike, I think I will have "real" fun with it. That's really all that maters right?
    Honestly, I don't think anyone's said that. Most have agreed these look like great bikes for starters and the upper models will most likely be totally fine for fun on your local trails.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast