Page 2 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think I might give one a try. Don't know what model to go for though. I am thinking the cheapest one, I have an x9 rd and shifter I can put on it. Is the break upgrade worth $200?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowzx View Post
    I think I might give one a try. Don't know what model to go for though. I am thinking the cheapest one, I have an x9 rd and shifter I can put on it. Is the break upgrade worth $200?
    If the pictures are correct, there also seems to be a difference in rims.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    SAMOX cranks FTW!

Seems like a bunch of pretty low-spec parts, so you do get what you pay for, but at the same time this is a much better route than the Wal-Goose option. I do like the idea of the competition- we have enough $1500-2000 hardtail fat bikes out there and they are virtually all the same. With prices like this, the bigger companies might go after building full-suspension fat and 29+ compatible frames and forks.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051 View Post
    Had I not just purchased an One One Fatty, I would have been all over this. Could have got a Pro and a Comp for the price of what mine cost after building. Hell, pick up the Pro, and purchase the Carver suspension fork, for under 2 bills. Good job Bikes Direct.

Looking at the specs, are they using 135mm hubs?
    Looking at the specs it might be 135 front, 145 rear. Did you see the two numbers listed?

mtbr member
    Good for them and good for the fat bike world. Without question a great value. They seem to have hit this out of the park! Unfortunately, with 19 inch as the largest frame size, this is not a reasonable option fir me.,,,need 21 or 22.
    Thats okay though, I may get the 15 for my son,,,,much cheaper than the on one baby fat.
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So I am 6'1 the sizing chart recommends the large but I would have more stand over with the medium. Would I be cramped on the medium or would it work. I have no fat bike experience

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowzx View Post
    So I am 6'1 the sizing chart recommends the large but I would have more stand over with the medium. Would I be cramped on the medium or would it work. I have no fat bike experience
    This is completely a guess without seeing you on the bike, but I think at 6'1 you would be way to bigbfor a medium. In fact, I think anyone taller than 6'2 would have issues in the larger 19 size....too much post sticking out, cocpit too short without big adjustments.
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Can anybody recommend a USA - UK buy and ship company ?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nvm!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    , but at the same time this is a much better route than the Wal-Goose option.
    +1 - The Wallbeast was only a BSO [Bike Shaped Object] while this actually looks like a bike.

I would hold off until some of these are in the wild and being ridden before I pulled the trigger though. Let someone else beta test the bike for you and get some real world reviews.

The Wallbeast was hotter than hell for a few months until the new toy vibe was gone and folks actually had to get on with the riding part of the equation.

The BD fatty might be just great, but it also might be pretty lame.

Time will tell.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Vikb - "The Wallbeast was only a BSO [Bike Shaped Object]"

Good one vikb! Almost pissed myself.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Difference in rims aside, is it just me or have they made a symmetrical frame with a 145 hub? because that's kind of awesome if they did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Difference in rims aside, is it just me or have they made a symmetrical frame with a 145 hub? because that's kind of awesome if they did.
    If they really did go 145 symmetrical, that would explain the 3" rear rim. I don't think it will be possible to use a full range of gears with an 80 mm rim which is sort of too bad.
    Latitude 61

AZ
    banned
    If this is the only Fat Bike you will ever own then it might make sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

Could someone please talk me into or out of this bike?
    I'd like to know if you all think geometry is trail worthy for rocky bumpy san Diego.
    Also, any more insight into wheels, max tire width, etc would be very appreciated.
    It's. SO HARD not to pull the trigger...

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I really think I might pull the trigger, in a couple weeks if the pre-orders are still available. The only thing really holding me back is that I'm good buddies with the owner of my local shop, and have been talking about buying a Mukluk from him. I don't want him to hate me when he sees me with this thing.

So,it says the rear hub is "9/10 speed disc" with a "Shimano cassette body". I don't know much about switching out cassettes. Would one be able to simply replace the cassette (and chain, crankset, etc) with a 10 speed cassette, or would you need to replace the body too? In other words, with a "9/10speed hub", is the "cassette body" able to accept either a 9 or 10 speed cassette?

ouch....
    No experience with these bikes, but couple weeks ago I had my 9zero7 in San Diego and Kernville, it was awesome!! The fat tires were perfect for all the loose stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Could someone please talk me into or out of this bike?
    I'd like to know if you all think geometry is trail worthy for rocky bumpy san Diego.
    Also, any more insight into wheels, max tire width, etc would be very appreciated.
    It's. SO HARD not to pull the trigger...

Riding.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    just buy it,, if you really enjoy the fatbike world (which you will), you will likely end up moving up scale in a year or two.... if you don't enjoy the fat experience (what's wrong with you!) you can likely unload it for 2/3 the cost....

just do it. (and then let us know how you like it)

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the tip! I ordered the 19" comp (cheap one). I've been lurking on the Fat forums for awhile. I can always sell it locally if I don't like it. I plan on buying a new carbon 29er in the spring, so I can't afford two bikes over the next 6 months. For $695.00 shipped (no tax)-why the hell not?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: Moto / bikes direct fatbikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    No experience with these bikes, but couple weeks ago I had my 9zero7 in San Diego and Kernville, it was awesome!! The fat tires were perfect for all the loose stuff.
    Yeah! I think I looked at your thread about that trip. Looked really fun. I have been coveting a fat bike for many years now. I need too decide what size to get. I am 5'7, and I ride a 50cm in road and cross and a 17" ibis tranny.
    I am thinking the small as sticking a long stem on (if I need to) would just slow the handling down, which might be nice for a rigid bike?
    Any advice here is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    It's called marketing, they're selling it at exactly the price they intend to sell it at.
    We have a stores here that will import product just for the weeks the ad runs in the paper, then claim it's on sale... it's sorta like that

Otherwise, I would say my (kids/wifes) next fatbike would likely be On-One or BD at this point, but not for me.
    Of my bikes I bought new 3/4 were LBS bikes and the 4th I built myself. I would only replace my Fatbike frame, not the whole bike.
    Well after over 30 years in the bike biz, I can tell you this. These bikes will be full of hidden compromises, from weld and metal qualities, alignments, substandard bearings, poorly prepped and faced cut surfaces, marginal hubs/moving parts, really inferior rubber and other wear items, poorly built wheels, and other such things.
    I think they have their place, though, but I do say 'Caveat Emptor'.
    I don't sell fat bikes, so this is just observations from decades of watching direct to consumer offerings almost NEVER quite match up.
    I have no vested interest one way or the other.
    I wish the project luck, though.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well after over 30 years in the bike biz, I can tell you this. These bikes will be full of hidden compromises, from weld and metal qualities, alignments, substandard bearings, poorly prepped and faced cut surfaces, marginal hubs/moving parts, really inferior rubber and other wear items, poorly built wheels, and other such things.
    I think they have their place, though, but I do say 'Caveat Emptor'.
    I don't sell fat bikes, so this is just observations from decades of watching direct to consumer offerings almost NEVER quite match up.
    I have no vested interest one way or the other.
    I wish the project luck, though.

Meanwhile, thousands of happy people are riding around on bikes they bought from BD.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I say this is good for rocky san diego and if its to ruff you could go with a 11nine shock or the carver which I am going to add for dirt riding!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Since I cant seem to get the local shops on board with the fattys I have been pushing these to the not sure about spending the money on a Fatty.. I at least want my friends getting the bug.

Page 2 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast