Just A Mountain Biker.

Most of the Microshift users are probably in here so...rear derailleur replacement

I whacked my stock Pugs Deore rear derailleur on a rock this weekend and need to replace it. I am perfectly fine with the 9 speed as it sits, but was considering going to a mid-cage SLX (662 I think?) rear derailleur, the shadow series. I have done some research and there seems to not be a clear answer on whether the stronger return spring plays well with the Microshift shifters, or it it overcomes them (too strong) and causes an autoshift. Would really appreciate some real world feedback on this before I order.

Thanks!!

Here's a weekend Pugs pic just for your effort of reading this...loving this bike more every ride, hung JUST FINE with my riding buddies on XC 29"ers yesterday in Sedona and probably opened a few eyes to what these things can do...

Most of the Microshift users are probably in here so...rear derailleur replacement-sedona-group-ride.jpeg
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    Should be fine as long as you increase the tension a bit on the shifter

mtbr member

Most of the Microshift users are probably in here so...rear derailleur replacement

I changed my RD to a shadow mid cage but also got ride of the micro shift. I happened to of had an SLX shifter. I am now 1x9 with a 22 up front and a 12-36 rear. It's all about the low gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I could not get a friction bar end shifter to work with a xtr shadow rear der. needed too much cable pull.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    I changed my RD to a shadow mid cage but also got ride of the micro shift. I happened to of had an SLX shifter. I am now 1x9 with a 22 up front and a 12-36 rear. It's all about the low gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's my other option, just converting it to a 10-speed by buying a cassette and a rear der. I already have a 10-speed shifter. But then if I do that I will want to go 1x10. Because having a non-matching front shifter will drive me nuts.
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

I have a 10spd microshift shifter (on a Retroshift drop bar cross lever setup) running a 9spd SLX shadow rear d and 10spd cassette on my Salsa Vaya commuter. Works fine. I did have to fiddle with the tension on the shifter a little bit.