Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Moonlander vs Fatboy

With the new Specialized Fatboy on the horizon there are two fat bikes with 5" tires. If you were buying a FB with 5" tires . . . which one would you choose? The tried and true Moonie with steel frame or new Fatboy with aluminium frame and carbon fork?

I'm facing that issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    New duh!

/thread

Fat & Single
    Mate, theres a load of fatbike that take a 4.8" tyre.... more specific a Bud or Lou. The tried and tested Moonie is and was a game changer and still an awesome bike.... the only down point is the weight. The Spech has not been released yet but should be a really nice bike.

There's a load of other bikes that take a bud or lou, do a bit of searching or even reading here, all will become clear.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Human Test Subject
    Weight can be fiddled with. My Moonlander is at 30.6 lbs right now. I think a huge part of light Fatboy weight is the 800g rims instead of clown shoes.

Fat & Single
    No doubt Volsung, im in no way bagging the awesome moonie at all. Just pointing out that he has picked the first bike to take the big tyres and there's a bucket load of others now without waiting on one that's not released.

BTW OP, the difference between Margelites (65mm) and clownshoes (100mm) rims, running the tyres at ~9psi is only about 5mm in tyre width. This is going on info collected here YMMV.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Wow... that is a great price for complete! I love the raw finish too... I've seen the polished ones in person which are also good looking... but raw is... RAW!

On the Moony... I love mine and rarely notice the weight over riding my 28lb FS 29er. Different bikes, different feel, etc. Except I can ride my moony anywhere and over any dang thing I want... and by then I have long forgotten or give 2 turds about weight... too busy smiling.

Nuts
    Not bagging on the Moonie either but for the price I would really consider the Spesh. Yeah you can lower the weight of the Moonie with a fistfull of $$$$ but why and yes weight on a fat bike can be argued that's it's no big deal but give someone the choice between lighter and heavier for the same cost and most will pick the lighter. I feel the only reason to go with the Surly is if steel is really important to you and to some it is. Of course this is all a guessing game because the Spesh is still off the grid.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member

Moonlander vs Fatboy

Yeah, that 907 is pretty awesome...but I really like the specs on the nome.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NLSpruce3 View Post
    With the new Specialized Fatboy on the horizon there are two fat bikes with 5" tires. If you were buying a FB with 5" tires . . . which one would you choose? The tried and true Moonie with steel frame or new Fatboy with aluminium frame and carbon fork?

I'm facing that issue.
    I was going to ask the same question on the other thread. I planned to get a Moonlander, but I changed my mind to the Fatboy at the last second for two reasons. One of the reasons is rational. The other reason is completely irrational.

The first reason is the aluminum frame of the Fatboy. I plan to ride on Florida beaches, and my assumption is the aluminum frame would be better than a steel frame.

The second reason is the new color of the Moonlander. Personally, I hate it. Although I haven't seen it in person, I saw some photos and it looks like that champagne-colored iPhone that Apple will announce next week. According to the media, champagne has become a popular color for new products, but I don't think fatbikes are a good match. Admittedly, paint color is a dumb reason to reject a bike, but I really think Surly should have kept the original color for the Moonlander. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NLSpruce3 View Post
    If you were buying a FB with 5" tires . . . which one would you choose? The tried and true Moonie with steel frame or new Fatboy with aluminium frame and carbon fork?
    I wouldn't buy or ride a Special Ed so that's an easy choice for me.

Even if I would consider a Fatboy I'd wait until the initial run has hit the street and we get reviews from real people. If you scan around the MTBR forums the tales of terror from owners of brand new bike models are not uncommon. Special Ed has never made a fatbike before so I'd let them work out their beta test program on someone else and get in on the next generation.

My friend rides a Ti Muk with Bud/Lous and Clown Shoes and the 907 is a quality product so you have options if the Moonlander doesn't tickle your fancy.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    How about you wait until the bike is actually released to see if it's any good before you decide that it's the perfect bike?

Seriously, just wait until it comes out. It may be awesome. It may be flawed beyond repair. It may be better than the moonlander, it may be worse. Right now, no one knows. No one has ridden it. It may have serious drivetrain issues. It's a fatbike with 5" tires, therefore, drivetrain issues are a distinct possibility.

As for paint color, I totally get what you mean- I hate hate hate hate hate the generic white paint on my Pugsley, but then again, it's well under $200 to have a bike stripped and re-powdercoated.

Just relax, have a beer and wait. You live in Florida for god's sake- it's not like the weather is gonna change on you.

Fat & Single
    Steel is real !

Steel is the best material for a MTB frame (IMO) its compliant and bump absorbing, its always going to be a bit heavier but if you ride a fully rigid steel bike the weight saving is going to go somewhat part of the way towards the stand off with a carbon frame with a susp fork.... all my bikes are fully rigid so im biased.

Theres no doubt that a well built steelie is worth the weight penalty IMO, the comfort over a long enduro race/ride is definately worth the extra 200-300g when you have a good choice of bling to compliment.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    How about you wait until the bike is actually released to see if it's any good before you decide that it's the perfect bike?

Seriously, just wait until it comes out. It may be awesome. It may be flawed beyond repair. It may be better than the moonlander, it may be worse. Right now, no one knows. No one has ridden it. It may have serious drivetrain issues. It's a fatbike with 5" tires, therefore, drivetrain issues are a distinct possibility.

As for paint color, I totally get what you mean- I hate hate hate hate hate the generic white paint on my Pugsley, but then again, it's well under $200 to have a bike stripped and re-powdercoated.

Just relax, have a beer and wait. You live in Florida for god's sake- it's not like the weather is gonna change on you.
    I definitely haven't decided it's the perfect bike. That's why I keep asking questions.

And I realize there are risks to any "first generation" product. I am still psychologically scarred from a first generation jet ski I bought many years ago.

There really aren't any dealers for Surly and Salsa here. However, there is a huge Specialized dealer with a longstanding reputation. That was a third reason for taking a chance on a Fatboy pre-order.

I thought about the stripping and powdercoating option, but I assumed it might be difficult to duplicate the original Moonlander color. Probably better to just hunt down a 2013 Moonlander.

In the end, the aluminum frame was the deciding factor. But I am interested in opinions about whether or not aluminum is better for beach riding. I really don't know - that's why I keep asking questions.

mtbr member
    If the bike is a keeper-- steel is a better bet for rigid and hardtails imo.

Digressing... Just wondering if we will ever see a good steel like an 853 or 953 lugged fattie Probably expensive and limited run by some custom builder if ever, especially no lug I believe has ever been made for this category of bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Spock View Post
    In the end, the aluminum frame was the deciding factor. But I am interested in opinions about whether or not aluminum is better for beach riding. I really don't know - that's why I keep asking questions.
    My Pugsley has survived months of camping at the beach [like in a tent where I could toss a frisbee into the ocean], 2 Canadian winters and lots of moisture living on the BC coast.

I'm 5yrs into owning my Pugsley with no real issues. After 3yrs or so I decided to re-powder coat to deal with some surface rust in a few spots. That could have been avoided if I had bothered to wipe down the bike at all.

My drivetrain and brakes rusted, my BB bearings got contaminated and one of the two Pugsleys I had has disintegrating AL spoke nipples due to salt corrosion [the other is brass].

Aluminum will oxidize, but it's less of an issue than with a steel bike. You'll still want to remove and lube parts so they don't corrode into place permanently on your AL bike.

Having said that care of the frame is a tiny % of the care needed to keep the bike rolling at the beach and regardless of frame material fatbikes share the same parts.

I live and play in high corrosion environments. I tried an AL MTB because I thought it would be easier to take care of. I ended up only keeping it for a year and replacing it with a steel frame [just swappped the parts across]. The steel bike has a nicer ride and is in practice no more effort to maintain.

FWIW - for low beach riding maintenance the best thing I could suggest would be to run an IGH. Keeping gears protected from sand and salt means a lot less wrenching compared to the riding.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Another consideration is hubs. Pugs/Moonie uses cheap (and great!) 135mm hubs, whereas the 190mm hubs are very limited and expensive. So if you're planning spare wheelsets, or touring, etc, the 135mm hub is still a huge benefit when comparing the bikes.

Fat & Single
    As far as fatties are concerned, the tyre susp will rule out "most" of the steel frame advantage..... but as asthetics are concerned, theres nothing looks better than a skinny steel frame with mothafukken fat wheels, im talking 2.4's.... nevermind 4'8's.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I love mine and rarely notice the weight over riding my 28lb FS 29er. Different bikes, different feel, etc. Except I can ride my moony anywhere and over any dang thing I want... and by then I have long forgotten or give 2 turds about weight... too busy smiling.
    This...but on a Pug "Ops"...green machine.

mtbr noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Armyballer View Post
    This...but on a Pug "Ops"...green machine.
    Please give us more of a ride report about the ops. There's actually very little thread info or discussion about the new ops...
    roxo56
    Surly Troll 650b

mtbr noob
    Or , start a new thread about it ?
    roxo56
    Surly Troll 650b

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    30lb moonie

specs and pic on scales ?

My Ti carver with marge lites and top end kit is that weight!!!

mtbr member

Moonlander vs Fatboy

The pugs ops is the same as the necromancer. I don't think we need another thread for a green version....am I alone here?

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

mtbr member
    My very basic Moonlander is 33 lbs. I'm sure it could be brought to 30.6 lbs with ease. Just a carbon fork would make about half of the difference. I have Juicy 7's on mine so there's a possibility to reduce weight, carbon bars and foam grips would drop it also, and my hubs are boat-anchor level (Surly and Shimano XT). Switching spokes to Revolutions would have some effect and my Shimano Saints aren't the lightest of pedals.

A sub-30 lbs Moonlander is barely a challenge, it requires just some choices regarding parts and a bit of cash on the barrel head.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    My very basic Moonlander is 33 lbs. I'm sure it could be brought to 30.6 lbs with ease. Just a carbon fork would make about half of the difference. I have Juicy 7's on mine so there's a possibility to reduce weight, carbon bars and foam grips would drop it also, and my hubs are boat-anchor level (Surly and Shimano XT). Switching spokes to Revolutions would have some effect and my Shimano Saints aren't the lightest of pedals.

A sub-30 lbs Moonlander is barely a challenge, it requires just some choices regarding parts and a bit of cash on the barrel head.
    Not wanting to be argumentative but to buy both bikes at about the same retail then have to stick $1000 into one to make it about the same weight doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense. Please don't get me wrong I have had 2 Pugs (loved them) and still have one but really what is there to gain from one choosing that route?
    And I love beer!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast