Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A bike is a bike. For many of us, we throw a leg over a bike like a surly, we smile, while we crush those that payed way too much for a lightweight plastic "wonder" machine. And then the carbon koolaid kids lay the plastic toy down on a rock the wrong way and crack/shatter it. Surly wins

rog

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've got no comment on Harley Davidson, but obviously Surly is doing something right. Simplicity, durability, value and versatility appeal to many including me. That has always been their target.

You guys do realize they've been making bikes long before the Pugsley, right? The vast majority of which are still in production. Road bikes, cross bikes, trail bikes, cargo bikes, touring bikes, single speed/fixed gear bikes, you name it. Gee I wonder what will happen when there are some other bikes in those categories to compete with Surly. What will they do?

I'll tell you what, you guys can keep wringing out your wallets every other season to be on the latest and greatest that the bike industry so generously bestows upon you, and I'll keep happily pedaling along on my bought and paid for Surly (by choice) for the next 5 years like the lemming that I am. 135mm hubs kicks ass, by the way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Moonlander vs Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    A bike is a bike. For many of us, we throw a leg over a bike like a surly, we smile, while we crush those that payed way too much for a lightweight plastic "wonder" machine. And then the carbon koolaid kids lay the plastic toy down on a rock the wrong way and crack/shatter it. Surly wins

rog
    Yah. Carbon fractures and shatters easily, and is super weak.

Its funny that rog is trolling here after tucking his tail and pouting about tgr.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^ There was a member here a couple months ago that literally shattered one of the chainstays on his carbon fatbike with his FOOT while riding.

You should see all of the gashes from rocks on my Pugsley frame and fork. Just adds character. If I was riding expensive carbon, I'd be shitting bricks after every scrape. Let's not talk about rim strikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    ^ There was a member here a couple months ago that literally shattered one of the chainstays on his carbon fatbike with his FOOT while riding.

You should see all of the gashes from rocks on my Pugsley frame and fork. Just adds character. If I was riding expensive carbon, I'd be shitting bricks after every scrape. Let's not talk about rim strikes.
    A yes. The n=1 argument. Well that proves everything.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
    A yes. The n=1 argument. Well that proves everything.
    You're right. It doesn't prove anything. But when I had to chose a bike to beat the piss out of on the trail for 5+ years, I go with metal over carbon. Carbon is lighter and stronger, but not tougher or more safe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yah. Carbon fractures and shatters easily, and is super weak.

Its funny that rog is trolling here after tucking his tail and pouting about tgr.
    Who's tucking tail jongboy? They banned me for busting balls on one of the biggest ball busting forums out there. They can give it but sure can't take it.

Pouting, get a clue (rolls eyes).

Carbon and rock don't mix. I know from experience.

rog

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Who's tucking tail jongboy? They banned me for busting balls on one of the biggest ball busting forums out there. They can give it but sure can't take it.

Pouting, get a clue (rolls eyes).

Carbon and rock don't mix. I know from experience.

rog
    Ha! How demonstrative of your "legend in your own mind" status. You can go back to tgr anytime. You weren't banned permenantly. You just haven't gone back because you're too busy pouting. Congrats on your new home for trolling; you may continue now.

Carbon and rock do just as well, or better than, aluminum and rock, and on measured stress and impact tests.

Laramie, Wyoming
    ..I'll tell you what, you guys can keep wringing out your wallets every other season to be on the latest and greatest that the bike industry so generously bestows upon you, and I'll keep happily pedaling along on my bought and paid for Surly...
    What does "bought and paid for" have to do with anything? My XX1 Borealis with carbon rims is "bought and paid for".

As for newmarketrog who is crushing the lightweight plastic machines with his heavy Surly, good luck with that opinion. I don't think I saw much or any of that happening this past winter in fat bike races. Carbon was crossing the finish lines at the front pretty consistently.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm

Ha! How demonstrative of your "legend in your own mind" status. You can go back to tgr anytime. You weren't banned permenantly. You just haven't gone back because you're too busy pouting. Congrats on your new home for trolling; you may continue now.

Carbon and rock do just as well, or better than, aluminum and rock, and on measured stress and impact tests.
    Was here before tgr.

Aluminum? How does aluminum play into this discussion?

No I cannot go back to tgr. Can't log in. Banned for life. Dunfee's mentioned it quite a few times. You obviously aren't very observant. Thanx for playing tho.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    What does "bought and paid for" have to do with anything? My XX1 Borealis with carbon rims is "bought and paid for".

As for newmarketrog who is crushing the lightweight plastic machines with his heavy Surly, good luck with that opinion. I don't think I saw much or any of that happening this past winter in fat bike races. Carbon was crossing the finish lines at the front pretty consistently.
    But in the right hands in the real world.......steel crushes plastic.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Word.

rog

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

No I cannot go back to tgr. Can't log in. Banned for life. Dunfee's mentioned it quite a few times. You obviously aren't very observant. Thanx for playing tho.

rog
    But in the right hands in the real world.......steel crushes plastic.

rog
    You're only lying to yourself. Everyone knows it. A legend in your own small mind with your tail between your legs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You're only lying to yourself. Everyone knows it. A legend in your own small mind with your tail between your legs.
    Heh, Whatever makes you feel better poseur jongboy

rog

Human Test Subject
    Stupid nerd drama like you babies are why I rarely read this forum anymore. Take it to PMs because no one else cares.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Stupid nerd drama like you babies are why I rarely read this forum anymore. Take it to PMs because no one else cares.
    Lighten up francis. You need a surly if you don't already have one. ICT ops for you. With tan sidewall nates

rog

mtbr member
    May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    It means I'll be happily riding my Surly when you'll be jonesing to hemorrhage more money yet again when something a little lighter, stiffer, or with some newer "better" standard gets released a season or two from now. Nothing wrong with it. I just know that I'm lucky in a sense, to like steel bikes and like riding steel bikes.

Laramie, Wyoming
    There is nothing wrong with steel, bumpers on cars ought to be made with the stuff. But the Moonlander ought to come with an additional sticker, "Do not lift without the proper stance and a weight belt".

mtbr member
    May 2013

Moonlander vs Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    A year and a half on my Moonie, and with all the frame, bar, stem and fork bags, plus all the crap in them, it keeps gaining weight. I've lost a few pounds myself, and my pack is lighter. It's still more fun than a guy my age should be allowed to have.
    I've had my Moonlander for almost a year now and it's doing the same thing as yours. Gaining weight. About to add a rear rack so family does not have to haul as much on outings this summer. Fun machines these things. The Specialized is a nice ride though. Tried one at LBS. Had me tempted. The new Rocky Mountain is calling me now though. This time next year I'll likely be still on the Moonlander having fun. If it has fat tires they are all fun.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    [QUOTE=JAGI410;10654160]Another consideration is hubs. Pugs/Moonie uses cheap (and great!) 135mm hubs, whereas the 190mm hubs are very limited and expensive. So if you're planning spare wheelsets, or touring, etc, the 135mm hub is still a huge benefit when comparing the bikes.[/QUOTE

I know this is an older post but wanted to state that the 190mm rear spacing is fast becoming a standard for many bikes coming out now so don't be deterred by its numbers because they will take over fat bikes soon...enjoy!
    hellboy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4