Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Moonlander vs Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    The worst part of a Moonlander is it's really hard to see if the rear rotor is true because of the offset.
    That is a pain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Weight can be fiddled with. My Moonlander is at 30.6 lbs right now. I think a huge part of light Fatboy weight is the 800g rims instead of clown shoes.
    How in tarnations did you get your Moonie to 30.6 lbs? Mine is almost hitting 37 lbs stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Do we have a confirmed weight yet? I know around 30lbs, but the tires weren't final. I'm not sure the tires are final now, but I thought someone on here might know.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    How in tarnations did you get your Moonie to 30.6 lbs? Mine is almost hitting 37 lbs stock.
    I have a tare button on my scale and I can weight the scale at 10 lbs and hit tare to zero it out. Then my bike only weighs 29 lbs and I feel really good about it's weight.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Very skeptical of any 30 lb Moonie that still looks like a Moonie.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Very skeptical of any 30 lb Moonie that still looks like a Moonie.
    He posted pics of the bike.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Bighit - Have to agree with you. I've had my Moonie for 2 years now. I got it because I wanted a better workout in a shorter period of time. The bonus is that it is so much fun, it's hard to stop riding and it's now the only bike I ride. If weight matters, look elsewhere. Most of the weight is the rider, not the bike, anyway. Lose a few........most people need to.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgurney View Post
    Bighit - If weight matters, look elsewhere. Most of the weight is the rider, not the bike, anyway. Lose a few........most people need to.
    I can guarantee a 210 pound dude will enjoy riding a 25# fat bike more than a 200# guy will enjoy a 35# bike especially if a lot of the loss in in rotational weight.
    And I love beer!!

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by rgurney View Post
    Bighit - Have to agree with you. I've had my Moonie for 2 years now. I got it because I wanted a better workout in a shorter period of time. The bonus is that it is so much fun, it's hard to stop riding and it's now the only bike I ride. If weight matters, look elsewhere. Most of the weight is the rider, not the bike, anyway. Lose a few........most people need to.
    A year and a half on my Moonie, and with all the frame, bar, stem and fork bags, plus all the crap in them, it keeps gaining weight. I've lost a few pounds myself, and my pack is lighter. It's still more fun than a guy my age should be allowed to have.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Moonlander vs Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I can guarantee a 210 pound dude will enjoy riding a 25# fat bike more than a 200# guy will enjoy a 35# bike especially if a lot of the loss in in rotational weight.
    Well, that depends. If the 25 lb bike is 6 grand and the 35 lb bike is 2 grand ,I'd say I don 't know. Maybe.

Pedaling

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Well, that depends. If the 25 lb bike is 6 grand and the 35 lb bike is 2 grand ,I'd say I don 't know. Maybe.

Pedaling
    This doesn't make any sense.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Moonlander vs Fatboy

LOL, I was in traffic . Point being, such a small # of 25 lb fat bikes in circulation , that that doesn't make much sense.

Pedaling
    Last edited by rjedoaks; 06-11-2014 at 04:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Which one did you buy?

Nuts
    Stupid me
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I edited my post.
    Never said anything about body weight.

Nuts
    Edited: I was talking to 2 different people with almost the same name oops.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Ron, I love riding my Pugs. Used it for a recovery ride Monday on the WOD and it was a normal workout. Down from 234 to 215 as of yesterday.
    Love cycling!
    MakeYourOwnBonus.com
    Don't confuse activity with accomplishment!

Laramie, Wyoming
    It wouldn't matter if one was 150 or 250 pounds, a lighter bike will be more fun to ride. I had a Moonlander and changed out a lot of parts, but I never came close to 30 pounds. It was easier to buy a Borealis and jump right past the 30 pound mark to 23 pounds with carbon wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    It wouldn't matter if one was 150 or 250 pounds, a lighter bike will be more fun to ride. I had a Moonlander and changed out a lot of parts, but I never came close to 30 pounds. It was easier to buy a Borealis and jump right past the 30 pound mark to 23 pounds with carbon wheels.
    Alphazz,
    I think if most people are considering these two bikes, it's because a Borealis is not in their price range. I'd love a Borealis if I could afford it, but the Moonlander will have to suffice for me. I am not a fan of Specialized any more as a company, but the Fat Boy is a great value when you consider weight and parts.

Laramie, Wyoming
    My point Gnar, was that one can put a lot of money into a Moonlander and still not have a 30 pound bike. For the money that I put into my Moonlander, I could have bought a Borealis. Shifters, pedals, bottom bracket, headset, stem, bars, grips, and tires equaled much more than an entry level Borealis. I was responding to the two different comments above. One was someone saying that their Moonlander was 30 pounds and as someone else mentioned, if your Moonlander is 30 pounds, it is no longer a Moonlander. The other was that a lighter bike will be enjoyed by most.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Moonlander vs Fatboy

The other was that a lighter bike will be enjoyed by most.
    I beg to differ on this. Light bikes are nice, but its not the end all, be all. This is my road bike:

Is it light? No way, not for a road bike. Is it a nicer bike than many other "light" road bikes out there? Yes, in my opinion, by a mile.

Some people have different priorities when it comes to bikes. Weight weenie-ism isn't the highest ideal for everyone. Some people prefer steel frames for a number of reasons, and some people like Surly bikes for a number of reasons. For those folks, they would likely enjoy a Moonlander more than a Fatboy or Borealis, and some away from it all with more $$$ left in their pocket.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Whatever. It would be rare for someone to choose a bike from two similar bikes just because it was 10 pounds heavier.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^ That must be why Surly is barely hanging on and has trouble moving product.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    ^ That must be why Surly is barely hanging on and has trouble moving product.
    I'm curious what has happened to their sales this past year and what will happen in the coming years. If I were looking to purchase a new fat bike, no way would I buy a Surly.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I'm curious what has happened to their sales this past year and what will happen in the coming years. If I were looking to purchase a new fat bike, no way would I buy a Surly.
    +1. They've been resting on their laurels as the originators of production fatbikes, selling product that is under-engineered and overpriced for too long. The Ice Cream Truck is certainly a step in the right direction, but it's hardly a game changer. Fortunately for Surly, they're not selling bikes as much as they are selling an attitude and a lifestyle, with bikes to go along with it. On that note, they're not unlike Harley Davidson and there is no shortage of lemmings who are lining up to pay too much for what they're selling.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast