Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Moonlander vs Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Not wanting to be argumentative but to buy both bikes at about the same retail then have to stick $1000 into one to make it about the same weight doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense. Please don't get me wrong I have had 2 Pugs (loved them) and still have one but really what is there to gain from one choosing that route?
    If one were to have a passionate hate for Specialized, then that's your answer. Not that anyone in this forum does, just thinking out loud ;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    .... but as asthetics are concerned, theres nothing looks better than a skinny steel frame with mothafukken fat wheels, im talking 2.4's.... nevermind 4'8's.
    As an owner of a skinny tubed steel bike with 2.4's on it....I concur.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    My moony is all about my comfort and weight be damned. I can ride faster and over more than I did on any of my fatbikes. The moonlander just feels right. If you care about weight it's not the bike for you.

Sure I could save weight but my parts are chosen for my comfort. Where is the real difference? 2-3 lbs heavier in the frame?

And hay build a moonlander from the frame up like I did. This way you get exactly what you want.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    If one were to have a passionate hate for Specialized, then that's your answer. Not that anyone in this forum does, just thinking out loud ;-)
    So very wise you are!! A person could substitute 907 or Fatback for the ML and could come up with the same results.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Not wanting to be argumentative but to buy both bikes at about the same retail then have to stick $1000 into one to make it about the same weight doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense. Please don't get me wrong I have had 2 Pugs (loved them) and still have one but really what is there to gain from one choosing that route?
    Not buying Specialized and I wouldn't spend $1K extra on a Moonlander. I would just ride it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oh, I was actually getting a bit off-topic because I didn't even think of comparison between the two. Volsung made a claim and cozz questioned it, so I figured that I'd shed some light on the subject of Moonlander and weight.

If you want a light bike, indeed the Specialized is much more cost-effective.

A reasonably light Moonlander could be built from parts for less than a complete + upgrades afterwards, so the cost or weight should not be exaggerated. But in this department it has the shorter straw against Specialized.

mtbr member

Moonlander vs Fatboy

So very wise you are!! A person could substitute 907 or Fatback for the ML and could come up with the same results.
    I really really want a 907.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by cozz View Post
    30lb moonie

specs and pic on scales ?

My Ti carver with marge lites and top end kit is that weight!!!
    Bike specs with pics

i can take pics later, ufc right now though. that link's got some old specs. my free crime scene tape blew up on the first hot day of the year and i put my commuter bike's saddle on.

glover texiera's a beast btw.

mtbr member
    After reading this thread I got curious about my bike's weight and weighed my Moonlander.

For the sake of this discussion and as a point of reference, my Moonie weighs in at 30.14 lbs with at least a few grams of dirt, mud, slime, and grime from a weekend of beach, woods, and alpine single track.
    Specs:
    Wire bead 120 tpi BFLs, Clownshoes nylon rim ribbon, Specialized HD downhill tubes, Salsa Front hub, X9 rear hub, X9 RD, 11-34 XT cassette, Surly MWOD, ebay nylon (plastic) BMX pedals, stock Andel BB cups with Phil Wood bearings, Surly seatpost clamp, Origin8 carbon seatpost, old tiTec saddle, cane creek S3 headset, Ahrens headset spacer bottle opener, carbon headset spacers, Ritchey stem, carbon Answer 20/20 bars (720mm uncut), cork grips, Carver o'beast fork (uncut), X9 grip shifts, Formula R1 rear brake, No front brake. 2 King Cage ti water bottle cages. Not too bad considering the heavy ass Surly crank and steel frame.
    Moonlander vs Fatboy-image.jpg
    Last edited by Beard of Power; 09-09-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Bike is the New Black

Quote Originally Posted by Beard of Power View Post
    After reading this thread I got curious about my bike's weight and weighed my Moonlander.

For the sake of this discussion and as a point of reference, my Moonie weighs in at 30.14 lbs
    Is that an 18" frame? I think the big weight loss tool is the Carver carbon fork, correct? I'd love to get my Moonlander down some... I was at 36 lbs last I checked... but running stock fork, heavy surly toobs, and 203 front rotor that isn't exactly light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Is that an 18" frame? I think the big weight loss tool is the Carver carbon fork, correct?
    Yup, 18" frame, full of frame saver. The lack of Avid BB7's is a big weight savings, in addition to all the carbon bits. With Steel fork, front R1 brake, and Bud-Lou rubber, the Moonie weighed 32.32 lbs. Bike Is the New Black: Spring Weightless Plan for Moonlander

Swapping forks resulting in a loss of 558 grams or (1.23 lbs) assuming you don't cut your steer-tube. Stock Moonlander fork weight is published as 1150 grams (2.535 lbs), my Carver fork weighed in at 592 grams (1.305 lbs), 14 g. over Carver's published weight of 578 grams. Inconsistency in the surface of post mounts on the Carver fork prevented me from mounting my front brake, the pads were impossible to get parallel to the rotor. Also the Carver fork changed the geometry of the Moonlander, due to longer A-C.

So getting back to the Fatboy vs. Moonlander question; if having a lightish 4.8" tire fatbike is your goal, the Fatboy is 'less grams for the $$$' straight out of the box, with the advantage of a complete bike with all parts designed from the ground up to function well together (and possibly better quality control). Personally, I like working on bikes, testing, tinkering, and swapping parts around, changing the mannerisms and performance of the bike. With the Moonlander, I will likely be throwing the steel fork back on and adding an Alfine 8 within the next year, which will bring it back up to the neighborhood of 40 lbs.
    Bike is the New Black

mtbr noob
    Is that an 18" frame? I think the big weight loss tool is the Carver carbon fork, correct? I'd love to get my Moonlander down some... I was at 36 lbs last I checked... but running stock fork, heavy surly toobs, and 203 front rotor that isn't exactly light.
    A 203mm on a moonie ? Could you post a pic of that setup on the carver fork ?
    Did it work on the ML fork ?
    roxo56
    Surly Troll
    SC Butcher

Quote Originally Posted by roxo56 View Post
    A 203mm on a moonie ? Could you post a pic of that setup on the carver fork ?
    Did it work on the ML fork ?
    I just have the stock steel fork. I don't think you are supposed to go that big on a Carver though.

Moonlander vs Fatboy-camerazoom-20130325180957346.jpg

NMBP
    I just have the stock steel fork. I don't think you are supposed to go that big on a Carver though.
    I don't think that you need A brake that big.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    I don't think that you need A brake that big.
    For doin' killer endos, man.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizzard75 View Post
    For doin' killer endos, man.
    Not for the skilled, I think that you need 2 brakes that big.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Love the fact that I have found this tread as I am on my way to my local dealer on friday who sells Spesh and Surly. I am in the exact same boat. Moonlander or a Fatboy expert.
    My Question is to all the Moonlander owners is this. What is the Weight of a stock complete?
    Spesh is claiming 30lbs without pedals I have heard a stock Moonlander is 40lbs.
    This is going to be a wet coast bike on Vancouver Island and used as a winter fun bike and a camping dad bike with my girls in the summer. Most of my riding will be under two hours in the winter time and limited snow due to very mild winters.
    Any Advice?
    A stock fatboy expert and a stock Moonlander are about the same price.
    Do I roll the dice on a first gen Fatboy having never seen one with 4.6 tires
    or
    Do I roll the dice on a Moonlander having never seen one (rare breed)with 4.8 tires.
    If it helps I am 190lbs and just a normal run of the mill joe average BC trail rider.
    Thanks in Advance

NMBP
    My XL Moonlander was around 36 lbs. with the Surly build kit. You can loose 2 pounds just by removing all of the button head screws from the bottle and rack mounts (not really 2 pounds).

mtbr member
    Complete Stock Fat Bike Weights

16" Moonlander = 35.54
    18" Moonlander = 35.76
    20" Moonlander = 35.88
    22" Moonlander = 36.30

weight is not the only issue in comparing these bikes.
    Consider: frame geometry, steel vs. alum/carbon, rack compatibility, Surly can be run single-speed or IGH down the road if desired...
    Bike is the New Black

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyto View Post
    Love the fact that I have found this tread as I am on my way to my local dealer on friday who sells Spesh and Surly. I am in the exact same boat. Moonlander or a Fatboy expert.
    My Question is to all the Moonlander owners is this. What is the Weight of a stock complete?
    Spesh is claiming 30lbs without pedals I have heard a stock Moonlander is 40lbs.
    This is going to be a wet coast bike on Vancouver Island and used as a winter fun bike and a camping dad bike with my girls in the summer. Most of my riding will be under two hours in the winter time and limited snow due to very mild winters.
    Any Advice?
    or
    Do I roll the dice on a Moonlander having never seen one (rare breed)with 4.8 tires.
    If it helps I am 190lbs and just a normal run of the mill joe average BC trail rider.
    Thanks in Advance
    In the end ultimately only you can make that decision but I would not hesitate to buy a first year run from Spesh especially an aluminum HT. It's a tough call but if it was me I would look towards the Spesh.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member

Moonlander vs Fatboy

My weighs 37 with no fenders and rear pack. I have 8" discs front and rear. bud and Lou tires with stock tubes. I also added straight line pedals. Stock post cranks, bb and hubs.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    My weighs 37 with no fenders and rear pack. I have 8" discs front and rear. bud and Lou tires with stock tubes. I also added straight line pedals. Stock post cranks, bb and hubs.
    How much does all that mud weigh? And I think you could take more weight off if you used carbon fiber mud or tubeless mud.

mtbr member

Moonlander vs Fatboy

Moonlander vs Fatboy-imageuploadedbytapatalk1379014648.834243.jpg I did put it on a mud diet but the strength to weight ratio was off :-o

Human Test Subject
    The worst part of a Moonlander is it's really hard to see if the rear rotor is true because of the offset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyto View Post
    Any Advice?
    or
    Thanks in Advance
    Where are you on Van Isle? You are welcome to come by and check out my Pugs in Victoria and discuss island fat biking options. It's rolling on Big Fat Larrys and 82mm rims.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast