Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Smile Moonlander Racks - Show and Tell

I am looking for ideas on what works for the Surly, Moonlander. Please post up photographs/descriptions on both front and rear racks.

Thanks,

Justin

aka RossC

Salsa minimalist works nicely up front - although I broke it on the first ride. I've ordered some beefier steel to replace the mount that broke and then it should be perfect.

The rear rack is just some cheapy thing that I bent to make it fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the response OBS. I think I am going to try the Salsa Minimalist rack up front. Could you please explain where/why the Minimalist rack failed. I am also eyeing that bag that you have on the Minimalist? Brand/product name?

On another note I contacted Surly about using there racks and they said that they do not fit the Moonlander. So keep the ideas coming.

Thanks

Justin

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The Old Man Mountain Cold Springs front rack is over 6 inches wide between the struts. The Cold Springs rear rack is a bit narrower. I think these are the widest production racks available (challenge?) which should make them top candidates for the Moonlander. Their mounting options are very adaptable. I prefer the front Cold Springs rack both front and back on my Pugs because of the maximal clearance and the lack of a raised stop on the deck, allowing for longer gear items like tent poles. But it takes more fiddling to get it mounted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    check with Surly before you add any rear racks to the Moonlander.The official word from Surly is NO rear racks on the Moonlander because you have to space the racks so far that there is too much stress on the frame bosses.Surly say Moonlander is frame bags ONLY! Do check with Surly BEFORE fitting any rear racks to avoid invalidating the guarantee and possible injury or DEATH through possible failure..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OlafSeelhorst View Post
    check with Surly before you add any rear racks to the Moonlander.The official word from Surly is NO rear racks on the Moonlander because you have to space the racks so far that there is too much stress on the frame bosses.Surly say Moonlander is frame bags ONLY! Do check with Surly BEFORE fitting any rear racks to avoid invalidating the guarantee and possible injury or DEATH through possible failure..
    Interesting! I talked at length with one of the guys at Surly and he did not mention this regarding the rear rack. In fact he actually said if I find something that works to let them know because he was getting calls about it. I will give Surly another call regarding the rear rack. Thanks for the heads up.

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by OlafSeelhorst View Post
    The other option is just to bend the crap out of the rack so that it fits the rear end with zero stress points or spacing adapters. If it wasn't designed to have a rear rack, why has it got the braze on's? Seems a bit strange?

@ Jeepgear - The minimalist failed after taking an absolute beating on a rock strewn 30km section of trail. It uses a single piece of16mm wide x 2.5mm thick (?) steel to brace between the rack and the fork crown. That bit of steel has a tight radius 90 degree bend in it when sheared under the repeated loads. I've since ordered some 20mm wide by 5mm thick stainless steel to fabricate a replacement.

The bag on the front is actually a tent. The tent weight is 1.7kg and the rack has a 5kg limit so I wasn't stressing the rack too greatly but I don't think Salsa were thinking of that weird harmonic resonance fore-aft rocking that the moonlander develops when they were designing the rack. It nearly broke the rider too

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean breathes salty View Post
    I've since ordered some 20mm wide by 5mm thick stainless steel to fabricate a replacement.
    Why not just bolt the rectangular block directly to your fork crown via the holes that are drilled through the crown?

That's how I've always installed these racks and it's been super easy everytime.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Human Test Subject
    I've got a OMM cold springs on my ML. They custom made some of the connecting bits at no extra charge.

My LBS had previously talked to QBP about racks and they made no mention of possible death/dismemberment/involuntary virginity loss. In fact, Surly's own description of the Moonlander on their website says "Mid-blade thru-eyelets and lower rack barrels are included for installing fenders and racks"

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post
    Why not just bolt the rectangular block directly to your fork crown via the holes that are drilled through the crown?

That's how I've always installed these racks and it's been super easy everytime.

B
    Mostly because:

a. I didn't really think of it and was rushing the job
    b. The extra stand off distance away from the cables made the tent fit a little better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean breathes salty View Post
    @ Jeepgear - The minimalist failed after taking an absolute beating on a rock strewn 30km section of trail. It uses a single piece of16mm wide x 2.5mm thick (?) steel to brace between the rack and the fork crown. That bit of steel has a tight radius 90 degree bend in it when sheared under the repeated loads. I've since ordered some 20mm wide by 5mm thick stainless steel to fabricate a replacement.

The bag on the front is actually a tent. The tent weight is 1.7kg and the rack has a 5kg limit so I wasn't stressing the rack too greatly but I don't think Salsa were thinking of that weird harmonic resonance fore-aft rocking that the moonlander develops when they were designing the rack. It nearly broke the rider too
    OBS - Thanks for the information on the Salsa Minimalist Rack. Please post up some photographs of the rack once you make the changes.

Volsung - It is good to know that OMM is working on the Moonlander. I would like to see some photographs if you get a chance.

I left a message with Surly regarding the rear rack warranty issue. I will post up my findings.

Thanks

Justin

mtbr member
    The Topeak Explorer Disk rear racks fit the Moonlander both front and back...I added a couple of presta nuts and a longer screw to space out the left rear....the front just dropped right on....I added the slide and click wire Topeak basket onto the front, as I need it for commuting and utility. Great price-beefy black build! click on my avatar for a larger view <-
    Last edited by JRWPIX; 01-20-2012 at 04:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JRWPIX View Post
    The Topeak Explorer Disk racks fit the Moonlander both front and back...I added a couple of presta nuts and a longer screw to space out the left rear....the front just dropped right on....I added the slide and click wire Topeak basket onto the front, as I need it for commuting and utility. Great price-beefy black build! click on my avatar for a larger view <-

Thanks for the information on the Topeak rack. I am pretty sure I can find one locally to look at. Lately all of my extra time has been spent riding the bike. Hopefully soon, I will make it down to the LBS to check out the options in person.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Finally made it down to the LBS and ended up picking up a Surly Nice Rack(rear) for the front of my Moonlander.

Side profile - The one modification that I made was a simple bend to the upper bar closest to the stem. I put it in a vise and gave it a more vertical stance. This increase the clearance between the rack and the front of the frame. On closer inspection you can see where the powder coat has chipped off. In the future I will touch this up.

The attachment points turned out to be really simple and solid.

Credit - I got the idea for this from this thread. Post #7

its a Pug's life

Thanks Devian your threads have been a big inspiration.

I have yet to make the changes to the Surly rack. I am going to run it like it is for a while.

Human Test Subject
    I'd put a pic of my OMM rack but I don't have 10 posts.

Lovin the nice rack on the front though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I'd put a pic of my OMM rack but I don't have 10 posts.

Lovin the nice rack on the front though.
    Well you have 7 more to go. Then I would like to see some photographs.

Thanks

Moon Child
    Jul 2011

Both racks are rear Surly Nice Racks. The install of the front mod is per jeep gear's install.

The rear install is stock with one mod. The rack sat offset due to the offset of the rear tire. The left side was very close to the tire. Of course, you can bend the left side out as the rack is steel. But, I noticed you can bolt the stay on the inboard side of the mount. Perfect alignment and no bending.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    The rear install is stock with one mod. The rack sat offset due to the offset of the rear tire. The left side was very close to the tire. Of course, you can bend the left side out as the rack is steel. But, I noticed you can bolt the stay on the inboard side of the mount. Perfect alignment and no bending.
    Very nice!

Geordie biker
    I wasn't going to get racks for mine but looking at these examples it's pretty tough to resist!
    2013 jones spaceframe - miles 2,077
    2014 cannondale badboy 9 - miles 495
    2014 milage so far - 1,132
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post

Both racks are rear Surly Nice Racks. The install of the front mod is per jeep gear's install.

Thanks for the explanation. Next time I am at the local bike store I am going to have another look at the rear rack. Now all you need is a seat on the rear rack so you can bike that perpetrator out of the woods.

mtbr member
    bump so i can find this again

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    bump so i can find this again
    Thanks, T0pcat. I love reading older threads that contain useful or cool information.

@Fresno

That bike is Sick! I love it. That is amazing that you can go Code 3 on that thing.

Any chance we might get to see an action shot with you actually using your bike in the field? How about one with your long gun(s) strapped to it?

That would make my week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Stock rack on moonlander

Here's a standard MTB rack (albeit one designed to fit a battery as well as panniers) that I mounted to my moonlander. It took a little bit of work, but wasn't too bad.

In addition to the standard mounting hardware, I needed:

2x 1/4" aluminum spacers (from a leftover planet bike fender kit)
    2x 1/2" aluminum spacers (from the small parts section of my local hardware store

3x extra-long mounting bolts w allen heads (not sure of the length, but they needed to accommodate the spacers.)
    1x extra-long mounting bolt w a hex head (I found it easier to tighten the drive-side bolt with a socket wrench than an allen key, hence the different head.

The top rack struts hit the frame at the seat-stay braze-ons, so I just added the 1/4" spacers to move both sides outboard, and problem solved.

The lower seat-stay braze-ons each required a 1/2" spacer, each towards the non-drive side of the braze-on, to approximately center the rack on the wheel.

It's been fine, requiring only minor tightening and and surviving a pretty good hit during an over-the handlebars high-speed encounter with a posthole. I need to take it on and off fairly regularly, but f I were going to mount it longer-term I'd use some blue loctite to keep everything nice and snug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moonlander Racks - Show and Tell-dsc04432.jpg  

Moonlander Racks - Show and Tell-dsc04433.jpg  

Moonlander Racks - Show and Tell-dsc04407.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Very cool. I had two rear racks on my Pugs (ala Devian) and now will get two rears for my ML.

Thanks to jeepgear for paving the Moonlander way!
    Last edited by bigflax925; 10-20-2012 at 09:41 PM.

mtbr member
    What I love about these bikes is no one cars about the weight. Mine will be north of 40 lbs once I get what I want on it. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast