Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Moonlander + clown shoes + 4" tyres, work? + SPLIT TUBE METHOD QUESTION

Considering a Moonlander as my local distributor (in Australia) doesn't have any standard Pugs and i'm concerned the Bud and Lou might be a bit much for the tracks around my place (ie no snow).
    Can i run say a 4" on-one Floater or 3.8" nate on those rims without any dramas?

cheers
    Steve

Edit: while it's in here and not wanting to do another post (yes i searched), what tube would work for a split tube tubeless method? I'm very familiar with the process on 29er MTB's and even my rabbit holes. I only use Schwalbe tubes as i like the removeable cores. Will a 24" x 1.5-2.5" do it? was going to use Presta valve.
    Last edited by SteveJfromtheSwitch; 03-20-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added question

Nuts
    Yes you can but an ideal tire might be something more like the Specialized 4.6 ground control.
    And I love beer!!

I have a friend running Floaters on 100's and they look good, and he likes them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks for that, by ideal, are you referring to the tread pattern or the size? 4.6 isn't much smaller than the Bud/lous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I have a friend running Floaters on 100's and they look good, and he likes them.
    Thanks for that, i was looking for a set of narrower tyres i can run in the dirt then switch them over for sand work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There were 100mm rims before there were 4.8" tires. 3.8's will work fine.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks gents

mtbr member
    My wife's bike with NATE's on Clownshoes, tubeless.

Moonlander + clown shoes + 4" tyres, work? + SPLIT TUBE METHOD QUESTION-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Yes you can but an ideal tire might be something more like the Specialized 4.6 ground control.
    My Nates measure 4.1" (f) and 4.2" (r) on 90mm UMA. The Ground Controls measure 4.5" on the Specialized rims which I think are about the same, maybe 85mm. The weights appear to be very similar. The Ground Controls look much bigger volume than the Nates but quite a bit smaller than Bud/Lou. Ground Controls are at the top of my list right now to replace my Nates when the time comes, but at the rate my Nates are wearing that will be 2016 give or take a year.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
    My Nates measure 4.1" (f) and 4.2" (r) on 90mm UMA. The Ground Controls measure 4.5" on the Specialized rims which I think are about the same, maybe 85mm. The weights appear to be very similar. The Ground Controls look much bigger volume than the Nates but quite a bit smaller than Bud/Lou. Ground Controls are at the top of my list
    I agree,100%!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The bigger issue is the lowering of the bottom bracket due to using a smaller tire that has a reduced diameter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Moonlander + clown shoes + 4" tyres, work?

Quote Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
    My Nates measure 4.1" (f) and 4.2" (r) on 90mm UMA. The Ground Controls measure 4.5" on the Specialized rims which I think are about the same, maybe 85mm. The weights appear to be very similar. The Ground Controls look much bigger volume than the Nates but quite a bit smaller than Bud/Lou. Ground Controls are at the top of my list right now to replace my Nates when the time comes, but at the rate my Nates are wearing that will be 2016 give or take a year.
    What do you think of the nates on the 90mm rim? There are a few threads discussing that something in the 4" range for summer riding the handling is better with a 65mm rim due to the rounder profile.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks for the info folks, seems the Moonlander is in stock so i'm going for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I added a question at the top, basically what tube can i use for split tube method on clown shoes? will a 24" 1.5 to 2.5" do it? I can get a Schwalbe presta in this size from CRC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    What do you think of the nates on the 90mm rim? There are a few threads discussing that something in the 4" range for summer riding the handling is better with a 65mm rim due to the rounder profile.
    I've never ridden anything but 90mm rims, so I can't make a comparison. I mainly use my fat bike in the winter, although I did use if for 2 straight months this fall when my 29er was out of commission and they handled fine. If I was looking at mainly riding dirt I would think about 65-70mm rims just to lose some weight.

mtbr member
    I used Schwalbe AV10D (24" x 3") for my split tube setup over Clown Shoe rims. I think Schrader valves are better suited for fat bikes anyways. I made the cut precisely at the outer "seam" and did not trim afterwards: the remaining flaps are minor (about 10 mm visible) and folded nicely against the tire by themselves.

It is possible that a smaller one up to 2.5" width would suffice, but I haven't tried it.

Once split, they were rather easy to put on the rims and would even move sideways. That got me thinking if I could get away with a 20 x 2.5" tube (Schwalbe AV7C at 95 grams a piece) for some weight savings compared to the AV10D at 260 grams a piece.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for that, i can get the AV10D's here but i do like the Prestas, mainly because i don't have a compressor and have always used C02 to do the initial inflate, then use a syringe to put the stans in.

mtbr member
    Q-Tubes here. 24X2.75, presta. Saul Lumikko, I think you might be right about the 20" tubes. I would like to try it in a couple weeks when I redo all the tires in my stable but I have a stock of the 24"'s I need to use. Let me know if you try it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    Thanks for that, i can get the AV10D's here but i do like the Prestas, mainly because i don't have a compressor and have always used C02 to do the initial inflate, then use a syringe to put the stans in.
    I don't have a compressor either. The AV10D are thick enough to allow the tire mount quite easily with a bit of sill foam underneath. The only tubeless thing I ever had to mount with a compressor were Hutchinson Atoms (23 mm road tubeless) on Ultegra wheels.

If you do mount the tire with a blast of CO2, be sure to deflate the tire and inflate it again (maybe a couple of times) before adding sealant: CO2 and sealant don't mix well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks man, noted

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hmm so i got my Moonie and got stuck into building it. i had a crack at tubeless but didn't work too well. I got the Q tubes on, split ready to go, i tried the front first and it was a very loose fit, even with the split tube in it. didn't even look like airing up with a C02, and i tried twice.
    I'm thinking i should try some foam between the rim strip and the split tube.
    bit bummed out

passed out in your garden
    Hey Steve,

Cant help with your issue, but was thinking that it'd be a good bet that there arent too many Moonlanders in Ipswich.

Enjoy it, post pics too.
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks man

i'm gonna head down to bunnings this arvo and see what i can find foam wise

I'm how far behind?
    Moonies look pretty funny with 4" tires on them. After 2.5 seasons with 4.7 or 4.8s I just put on some Dillingers for a race tomorrow on hardpack snow. Makes a huge difference, I can't stop thinking the I'm riding on skinnies.
    Fatter than most.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer View Post
    Moonies look pretty funny with 4" tires on them. After 2.5 seasons with 4.7 or 4.8s I just put on some Dillingers for a race tomorrow on hardpack snow. Makes a huge difference, I can't stop thinking the I'm riding on skinnies.
    Interesting. Can you expand? Huge difference how?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast