Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Moonlander Bottom Bracket Issues

After 5 rides, 2 in the snow, my stock bottom bracket on my new Moonlander has seized (MWOD external). When I pulled the cups to see what the problem was, I found quite a bit of water in the bottom of the frame. I was also surprised to find that there was no center sleeve between the cups. I've searched the forums and have found only one other reference to bottom bracket issues with the stock Moonlander.

Iím not sure how the water is entering the frame as I have not washed the bike and no water has entered through the seat tube. After riding in the snow, the entire bottom bracket area is encased in ice, so maybe the water enters through the bottom bracket seals as it melts.

I think a center sleeve would have protected the bearings and I find it hard to believe that the Moonlander doesn't come with one. I've got a couple of old X-type cups laying around that will get me through for the time being, but without a center sleeve I think Iíll be having more problems soon.

I think the best solution is to replace the bottom bracket with a Chris King. This is my preferred replacement as it is designed to allow grease injection. Raceface also makes the Team DH for fat bikes. I canít use an FSA, Truvativ or Phil Wood, as the axles are not compatible with the MWOD crankset. As far as I can tell, the only difference between a standard Shimano type bottom bracket and a fat bike bottom bracket is the width of the center sleeve (100mm versus 68/73mm).

So my questions to the forum are: has anyone else had problems with the stock MWOD bottom brackets? What bottom brackets are people using with the MWOD crankset?

Until I've bought a replacement, Iíll try letting my bike melt upside down after a snow ride in the hopes that melt water will run down the seat tube instead of pooling in the bottom of the frame.

mtbr member
    no drain hole on the bottom side of the shell?? if not drill a smallish one.

Human Test Subject
    I'm on my phone so I can't easily dig up the thread, but almost everyone who has ridden their moonlander in adverse conditions has had to replace their BB. Mine died within 500 miles so I put in an ultegra bb. It works and makes me smile because of its ridiculousness.

mtbr member
    My BB cups say Andel on them and were supplied by the LBS that sold me the frameset and parts. The mechanic recommended that I drill a drain hole, because water somehow always finds its way in. If nothing else, condensation would do it because of temperature changes.

Geordie biker
    Yeah, a few us had them die at 100 miles!

Barely greased from the factory....hope cups have been no issues since.

2013 jones spaceframe - miles 2,077
    2014 cannondale badboy 9 - miles 495
    2014 milage so far - 1,132
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

Laramie, Wyoming
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll be replacing mine even though I haven't had a problem with them yet.

mtbr member
    When Saltyman was having issues earler this year with his I took mine apart and checked......NO GREASE
    I'm still running the stock original bearings but drilled a drain hole. (Solved so far)

By the way thanks for saying something at the time Saltyman I would have been doomed to a long walk eventually
    Moonlander's
    Sandman Hogger Ti

nothing to see here
    I'd drill two holes, one at either end just shy of where the cups end. That's because I just lean my bikes up against a bench in the shed, so the water would pool to one side. Also, having two holes would release the water easier as air can flow into the unflooded hole.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    would drilling the holes void a frame issue down the road? not a big to do, but if they want to get uppity about a replacement .........

nothing to see here
    You'd have to ask Surly that question. I'd imagine it might cause problems. But then it depends on what the claim is for.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Another Retro Grouch
    Mine went bad, I emailed the surly info mailbox, they sent me a new set with much more grease. The Surly website documents the new ones have different bearings with proper grease. All good now.

mtbr member
    Thanks for everyone's input. I just sent an email to Surly. With any luck they'll send me some new bearings.

I'll skip drilling holes for the time being. I think the water problem can be more easily remedied by inserting a protective sleeve between the bearing cups (like Chris King and Raceface bottom brackets). That should keep the water off of the bearings. And I'll continue to let the bike thaw upside down so that any condensation and water that has seeped past the seals can safely drain down the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyman View Post
    Yeah, a few us had them die at 100 miles!

Barely greased from the factory....hope cups have been no issues since.

Thanks for the tip" I didn't install mine, but I will check in a few.

Please make these hopes in green

mtbr member
    Also happens because no plastic spacer joining the bearings so the moisture gets into the bearing from behind as mentioned
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by brknspk View Post
    I think the water problem can be more easily remedied by inserting a protective sleeve between the bearing cups (like Chris King and Raceface bottom brackets). That should keep the water off of the bearings.
    Yup, that's the ticket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Mine went bad, I emailed the surly info mailbox, they sent me a new set with much more grease. The Surly website documents the new ones have different bearings with proper grease. All good now.
    Can you tell me the email address that you used? I've sent a few to the address listed on their website (derby@surlybikes.com) and have never gotten a response.

Another Retro Grouch
    That's the guy, I gave him a few days and he got back to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Buying a moonlander but LBS hasn't assembled yet.

How can I tell if mine has updated BB?

Would like to get sorted before LBS assembles it.

mtbr member
    Mine was shipped to my LBS about 4 weeks ago and is the 2013 model. I doubt very much that your bottom bracket will be any different from mine. No matter what BB you get, it's not worth much without a plastic sleeve. I'd suggest buying a Chris King Center Sleeve for $10 and using it with the stock cups: Chris Kingģ Bottom Bracket Center Sleeve - 100mm, Fat Bike - Black: Bottom Bracket Parts ē AVT - Aspire VeloTech - Chris King World's Largest Dealer

I thing the stock BB will be fine with the additional protection provided by the plastic sleeve.

I can't find a reference on the Surly website to new bearings for the MWOD, but I do see that they're including the "Spindle Sleeve" with the O.D. crankset. I wonder why it's not included with the MWOD?
    Last edited by brknspk; 11-29-2012 at 06:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brknspk View Post
    After 5 rides, 2 in the snow, my stock bottom bracket on my new Moonlander has seized (MWOD external). When I pulled the cups to see what the problem was, I found quite a bit of water in the bottom of the frame. I was also surprised to find that there was no center sleeve between the cups. I've searched the forums and have found only one other reference to bottom bracket issues with the stock Moonlander.

Iím not sure how the water is entering the frame as I have not washed the bike and no water has entered through the seat tube. After riding in the snow, the entire bottom bracket area is encased in ice, so maybe the water enters through the bottom bracket seals as it melts.

I think a center sleeve would have protected the bearings and I find it hard to believe that the Moonlander doesn't come with one. I've got a couple of old X-type cups laying around that will get me through for the time being, but without a center sleeve I think Iíll be having more problems soon.

I think the best solution is to replace the bottom bracket with a Chris King. This is my preferred replacement as it is designed to allow grease injection. Raceface also makes the Team DH for fat bikes. I canít use an FSA, Truvativ or Phil Wood, as the axles are not compatible with the MWOD crankset. As far as I can tell, the only difference between a standard Shimano type bottom bracket and a fat bike bottom bracket is the width of the center sleeve (100mm versus 68/73mm).

So my questions to the forum are: has anyone else had problems with the stock MWOD bottom brackets? What bottom brackets are people using with the MWOD crankset?

Until I've bought a replacement, Iíll try letting my bike melt upside down after a snow ride in the hopes that melt water will run down the seat tube instead of pooling in the bottom of the frame.
    same thing on my necro

here's how I fixed the problem. no issues yet on new BB

Fat Bike Bottom Bracket Mod

mtbr member
    Very nice. Glad to hear that it works.

Nemophilist
    Geez Bill...

You break everything!

Some may argue that the sleeve IS the problem, as it holds the moisture in. Could be. Some have also found the grease to be a bit lacking in some of the OE cranksets. All I know is that all my bikes have a drain hole in the BB housing. I ride through creeks a bit!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Some may argue that the sleeve IS the problem, as it holds the moisture in. Could be. Some have also found the grease to be a bit lacking in some of the OE cranksets. All I know is that all my bikes have a drain hole in the BB housing. I ride through creeks a bit!
    yup drain holes are quite common place.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Even though I tried to take care o the stock BB on my Moonlander, it putz'd out in under 300mi. Switched to a Chris King and no probs since!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Geez Bill...

You break everything!
    To a certain degree John, thatís true. I'm fairly aggressive and stuff breaks. Most of the time it's a direct result of something I did (or hit). Iím a good mechanic and deal with it by buying replacement parts and maintaining my bikes. Itís seldom that I encounter a problem due to poor design, but this is unfortunately one of those situations. I think that there should be spindle sleeves delivered with the stock build.

Iím holding off on drain holes at this point as Iíve never seen them on a stock mountain bike (road bikes yes, mountain bikes no). Can anyone name a stock mountain bike or fat bike delivered with drain holes? If so, Iíll look into it and reevaluate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast