Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 1854

Thread: mongoose Vinson

  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lugnut321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4
    First time Fat Bike owner. First post. I just got my Vinson last Saturday at MC Sports in Peoria, IL. I'm loving it.

  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    320

    Re: mongoose Vinson

    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut321 View Post
    First time Fat Bike owner. First post. I just got my Vinson last Saturday at MC Sports in Peoria, IL. I'm loving it.
    Nice! Enjoy it's a great bike

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Marna_Kazmaier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut321 View Post
    First time Fat Bike owner. First post. I just got my Vinson last Saturday at MC Sports in Peoria, IL. I'm loving it.
    Welcome to the Forum. Nice Folks here. Congrats on your new Bicycle! Enjoy!

  4. #204
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lugnut321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4
    The Vinson is on the mongoose website.Looks like they have to work the bugs out on the specs.

  5. #205
    Ent whacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I am 5' 11" with a 30" inseam. I am looking at layback seatpost options.
    Bought a 30.6 x 27.2 shim and used a spare 410mm Thomson post. Perfect.

  6. #206
    Ent whacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    I was worried about clearance in the rear. I will say the the combo I have is awesome I can climb any hill a rail corners . I think the bulldozer is an excellent tire and rolls fast. No snow yet but supposed to get some this weekend. Will update. By the way no annoying squeaky noise from the tires like the missions did.

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    That is almost reason enough right there. Rear started squeaking on the third ride and drove me nuts.

  7. #207
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    My intentions are to go tubeless and if I do the bulldozer should fit fine.

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    Cool! and please share how the tubeless conversion goes! one more question, so the Surly Lou (and bud) is not good for tubeless? my LBS only carries surly tires so I will have to get the bulldozer online.

  8. #208
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    What's the stand over with these tires?

  9. #209
    mtbr member
    Reputation: x3speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    384
    I'll have to look, it's at my Dad's
    2014 Singular Gryphon
    2013 C-Dale F29 Alloy 2, CAAD10 105
    2005 Jamis Dakar XC Expert
    2014 Framed Minn. 3.0 Bluto

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    138
    Just seen sports authority has the vinson on ebay for 579$ Free shipping.

  11. #211
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bugout Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    186

    mongoose Vinson

    Quote Originally Posted by NEOHIO Ray View Post
    Just seen sports authority has the vinson on ebay for 579$ Free shipping.
    Ughh, can't believe I missed the sale MC SPORTS had 😒


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cardnation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    170
    FYI, you can buy it directly from Sports Authority with free shipping and 10% off. ($522 total shipped)

    Mongoose Vinson All-Terrain Fat Bike - SportsAuthority.com

    Get 10% off by signing up for emails.

    http://www.sportsauthority.com/email...clickid=signup
    I bike with tires.

  13. #213
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bugout Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    186

    mongoose Vinson

    Damn. If I would have known that, I probably would have ordered this instead of the gravity bullseye monster. The specs between the two bikes seem almost identical however, the Vinson has those 100mm rims.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #214
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1
    I bought one of these Vinsons a couple of weeks ago. I like it, but the tires are not great in snow. I slip out pretty bad on climbs. I am noticing that different users have used different tire combo upgrades (lou, bud, bulldozer, snow shoe)... I know little about tires. Any advice on purchasing tires? Why did some of you choose the tires you did? I am guessing cost and size are significant factors, but what else?

    Right now I am just riding in a few inches of (mostly) packed snow. My rear slips on climbs, and my front has a tendency to get pretty squirrelly in places -- often sliding out.

    This is kind of a broad question, but I appreciate anything you can offer.

    And, I am in general agreement... this bike is a fantastic deal!

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    320

    Re: mongoose Vinson

    Quote Originally Posted by rinndw View Post
    I bought one of these Vinsons a couple of weeks ago. I like it, but the tires are not great in snow. I slip out pretty bad on climbs. I am noticing that different users have used different tire combo upgrades (lou, bud, bulldozer, snow shoe)... I know little about tires. Any advice on purchasing tires? Why did some of you choose the tires you did? I am guessing cost and size are significant factors, but what else?

    Right now I am just riding in a few inches of (mostly) packed snow. My rear slips on climbs, and my front has a tendency to get pretty squirrelly in places -- often sliding out.

    This is kind of a broad question, but I appreciate anything you can offer.

    And, I am in general agreement... this bike is a fantastic deal!
    I have the bulldozer rear and bud front and the main reason I went bulldozer rear was I heard it had good traction and it was not as wide as a Lou so it would clear the chain and stays even with flex . I have been very pleased with the combo. We have had very cold powder snow and it has been impressive the amount of grip.

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

  16. #216
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bugout Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    186
    I can't see it in the pics. Does this bike have the ability to add a rear rack?

  17. #217
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mojoB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by rinndw View Post
    Right now I am just riding in a few inches of (mostly) packed snow. My rear slips on climbs, and my front has a tendency to get pretty squirrelly in places -- often sliding out.
    I got a pair of On-One floaters based on the price and generally good reviews. I havn't had a chance to fit them up yet, but I havn't seen anything close in the price range.
    Aussie in Chicagoland (what's all this white stuff?)

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugout Bikes View Post
    I can't see it in the pics. Does this bike have the ability to add a rear rack?
    It does not have threaded holes on the seat stays, however it does have a hole where a V brake would normally go. There are holes in the dropouts, though with disc brakes it's a busy area.

    I have a seatpost mounted rack that goes on everything, that's an option if you don't carry a lot of weight.

    There are no bosses for a front rack on the fork, there is one hole on the bottom of the fork stem for a fender, though.

    Sorry for bad news rack-mounting wise.

  19. #219
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by rinndw View Post
    Any advice on purchasing tires? Why did some of you choose the tires you did? I am guessing cost and size are significant factors, but what else?

    Right now I am just riding in a few inches of (mostly) packed snow. My rear slips on climbs, and my front has a tendency to get pretty squirrelly in places -- often sliding out.

    This is kind of a broad question, but I appreciate anything you can offer.

    And, I am in general agreement... this bike is a fantastic deal!
    The Mission's just aren't good in snow at all, so most anything would be an upgrade.

    For snow you need a more aggressive tread and you would benefit from something with more volume as well. Sadly I don't think the Kenda Juggernaut 4.5 will be out in time for this winter, I think at about 60 bucks a tire that would be a good value match for the Vinson and be a upgrade in both areas. The 4.0 version of that tire probably isn't a huge upgrade over the Missions. The On One floater is another value option that doesn't increase volume much but has more aggressive tread, unfortunately out of stock in the US. I think I'm going with a pair of Showshoe XL's, though I am still concerned about the rear chain clearance (even though earlier in the thread I see pics of Bud/Lou combo, when I look at my bike I only have ~3/8in between the stock tires and chain). The Vee Bulldozer is a bit smaller than the Showshoe/Bud/Lou which would give it more clearance in the rear. In front who cares, anything will fit.

    MM bead to bead:

    Your Mission Command: 230
    One One floater: 235
    Snowshoe 4.5/4.7: 238
    Vee Bulldozer/KendaJuggernaut4.5/Dillenger 5: 245
    Bud/Lou/Snowshoe xl: 260

  20. #220
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    34
    fatbikenewbie here, sorry if asked previously, just got Vinson, I think I love it! wondering if you think putting on one floaters would greatly improve overall ride. also confused, but wondering what tire gauge and portable tire pump folks suggest, as I do want to start messing with the air pressure. thank you!

  21. #221
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    On dirt and snow I'm sure it would. On hard packed trails or roads the Missions' less aggressive tread probably has less rolling resistance. I don't mind the self steer and will probably change back to the Missions in spring. Probably won't buy them again, though.

    I have a 1-20psi gauge I got at fleet farm for four bucks. Any gauge will do but one made for this range will be more accurate than a standard 10-50psi gauge. Obviously you need a high volume pump, and really it should have a hose so you don't rip the valve. I have a lezyne sport drive HV, I have a feeling it will probably be 250~300 pumps to get a rideable tire. I doubt my ability to do that many without ripping a valve off with a pump that connects directly to it (without a hose). There are larger HV pumps that cost only a bit more, depends what it's worth to you (both size and money).

  22. #222
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    34
    dear bepperb, thanks very much, I think Ill be getting the on one floaters, reviews make them sound like reasonable price performers (yes for winter/snow conditions in nothern illinois), then like you suggest maybe go back to missions in spring. also thanks for lezyne suggestion. I would like to find an accurate 1-30psi gauge to cover all bases. Again really appreciate this forum, as I generally have no idea what Im doing, but LOVE getting out and riding the Vinson! thanks again!

  23. #223
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    320
    I cannot see anyone wanting to put the missions back on Unless the tire they put on to replace it was not great in the first place. I put the bud n bulldozer combo and got rid of the terrible self steer. and gained better ride and less rolling resistance. I was really surprised how well the bud and bulldozer rolled.
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

  24. #224
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    I think the Missions go back on when the 29er comes back out, basically so I don't wear out expensive winter tires for bar hoping and laps around my neighborhood. I don't expect to ride the fatbike seriously when there isn't snow on the ground. Just as summer beaters. I'm generally not too keen to challenge my 7 year old to a long skid mark contest in our driveway. These tires might change that.

    Yes, if you're going to ride trails on it year round I'm with you 100%.

    I had also considered selling them on ebay and getting something better for summer (4.0 inches and with low rolling resistance)... like the Juggernaut 4.0 or Fat B nimble... I just don't see myself using the bike enough to go through the effort.

  25. #225
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    I think the Missions go back on when the 29er comes back out, basically so I don't wear out expensive winter tires for bar hoping and laps around my neighborhood. I don't expect to ride the fatbike seriously when there isn't snow on the ground. Just as summer beaters. I'm generally not too keen to challenge my 7 year old to a long skid mark contest in our driveway. These tires might change that.

    Yes, if you're going to ride trails on it year round I'm with you 100%.

    I had also considered selling them on ebay and getting something better for summer (4.0 inches and with low rolling resistance)... like the Juggernaut 4.0 or Fat B nimble... I just don't see myself using the bike enough to go through the effort.
    That makes sense. If you were doing trail you would want something better . but for beating on the missions are perfect
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

  26. #226
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1
    Bought one after the sale $499.00... nice bike.. some component limitations. seat post odd size 30.6mm. front derailleur only 1 will work correctly alivio fd-410e. all others need a bracket (braze on) bottom bracket spindle length 168mm square taper. Has anyone changed cranksets? for the price okay.... Went to My local Performance bike store they have their branded model ACCESS for 799 on sale much better bike and better specs.

  27. #227
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    38

    Purchased a Vinson for $499 questions and concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by oldmanrider View Post
    Bought one after the sale $499.00... nice bike.. some component limitations. seat post odd size 30.6mm. front derailleur only 1 will work correctly alivio fd-410e. all others need a bracket (braze on) bottom bracket spindle length 168mm square taper. Has anyone changed cranksets? for the price okay.... Went to My local Performance bike store they have their branded model ACCESS for 799 on sale much better bike and better specs.
    The crankset/front derailleur was a concern to me as well. Curious if anyone has upgraded the crank. The one thing that that the Access does not have is a 190mm rear and the ability to fit 4.7+ tires.

  28. #228
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    There's no shortage of 170mm rear bikes in the 800 dollar range. That's not what the Vinson is. It's specd lower (and has a corresponding lower price) and it takes larger tires. This may or may not be a good thing depending on what you want to ride. It would have been nice (and I would have likely bought it) if the Mongoose Argus was readily available... with better groupset and 190 rear end.

    Any crank change should be simple since square taper cranks are so readily available. And I do wonder how long a no-name aluminum chainrings are going to last so this might happen sooner than later for some of us. Upgrading to a hollowtech style should be easy, but last I looked the FSA cranks that would work with a 190 rear end were about 160 bucks, which isn't something I'd put on a 500 dollar bike unless it was part of a repair. IMO the crankset isn't the weakest part of this bike, probably the tires -> brakes ->12-32 cassette will be things that need to change.

    Why do you think only the one derailleur would fit. Why wouldn't any e type front deraileur work? A clamp type deraileur won't work on most fat bikes, a bb mounted front is a pretty common thing these days. Some fat bikes like the Minnisota's have a tab brazed on the seat tube to accomodate a clamp style derailleur, seems like a less elegant solution to me. And last I read the Minnesota 1.0 didn't have it, so you'd be in the same boat needing an e type derailleur for that if you wanted more than 1x9 gearing.

  29. #229
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    For those still interested I took my 'goose on the Triple D poker run last weekend. 10 miles of cornfields and snowmobile trail and 20 miles of gravel roads. Bone stock (even tires) and everything worked great, a bit of cable stretch in the rear derailleur and brake. To be honest I'm surprised nothing is broken. Definitely the only person riding a Mongoose... and to be blunt out of probably 100 fat bikes I only saw one with Vee brand tires. Everything else shod with 45nrth or Surly. The missions were a safety hazard on some of the faster downhill sections, though I actually thought they did really well on the gravel road portion. Rode with a Salsa and a 29er, the Salsa had better tires and could outhandle me in some of the snow. 29er wasn't even close. Which is good, I had considered bringing mine and made the right choice. There's no replacement for displacement on snow.

    Total of about 100 miles on it, probably 20 of single track, 20 of snow and 60 of roads... and the bike has held up well.

    That's it, though, as far as stock goes for me. I'll probably start tear down tonight if you have any questions on how to remove something let me know and I'll take some pics.

  30. #230
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    627
    I guess I'm ready to give an update also. I've got about 100 miles on mine, mostly dry to slushy roads, a little snowy singletrack too. I still am very happy with my purchase. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the crank was no-name. I think it is a Shimano crankset based on the 22/30/40 gearing and the striking similarity to the brand new Deore M612 crank I installed on my Yelli a few days ago. Alivio FD is quite serviceable for this application and I've ridden Alivio 3x9 in some fairly rough conditions on my previous MTB. Yes the tires/tubes are cheap. Yes the brakes could use an upgrade at some point. The saddle is a bit of and a_s_s_hatchet. The X4 3x8 is fine for most people. I plan on racing a couple times with it in the next few weeks to see how it will work for the Birkie. I might steal the X5 10 speed shifter, X9 RD, cassette, and chain off my summer commuter if I feel I need 4 more teeth for climbing.

    as for the tires, I've been playing with pressures a lot. I have a large dial low pressure gauge I use for drag racing. It is fairly accurate. I cannot get rid of the auto steer without jacking the air pressure way up. Once the front tire gets to 5.25 psi you have to hold on to the handlebars firmly and be on your toes. I've tried more air in back, less air in back all it does is make it harder to pedal. I haven't noticed much traction difference until the rear gets down to about 4.5psi. All of this low pressure fun also comes with the fantastic tube rub noise which you can't really hear over the howl of the tread and heavy breathing.

    So to summarize, Love the bike - hate the tires.

  31. #231
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    That's awesome someone else will be at the Birkie with a Vinson, I will as well.

    I might be hard to find though, as frame is stripped and raw aluminum now. Assembly/disassembly was as basic as it gets. Frame with only headset cups was under 5lbs. Fork was light and has aluminum steerer, too. Only real letdowns were the bottom bracket is pretty heavy (as would be expected of a square taper this size) and has no protection for the bearings, which aren't replaceable even though they are standard 6002rs size. IIRC it was 390 grams without bolts. The x4 derailleur has steel cage and steel bushings which aren't great for a winter bike. Not dissapointed enough with those two things to do any proactive replacement. Despite reports of Dolomites starved of grease that was not the case with any part of my Vinson. The pics of the Mongoose Argus had a gusseted frame, my bike doesn't have gussets. Otherwise this is a nice frame that could be built into anything, I don't see why this couldn't weigh 30 lbs if you spent enough on upgrades (I'm not advising that).

    My rear brakes seem to have broken in nicely and have B for power and A- for modulation. My fronts have not and are terrible in both regards. I might take my rotor to some glass/sandpaper and see if that's the problem. I find it hard to believe any grease wouldn't have been burned off by miles of wet gravel spray. So we're on a wait-and-see if I keep them.

    OnOne Floater tires and new tubes arrive Monday, but bike is back together and made it around the house yesterday (always interesting to disassemble/reassemble and see what is tweaked, but in my case even the derailleur's didn't need any adjustment).

    Still, with a total of 499 for bike, 105 for tires and 14 for Aircraft Remover this bike is a fantastic value. Even though it is very easy to work on I've really only recommended it to people with bicycling experience, though I'd never recommend a mail order/dept store bike to anyone who doesn't wrench proficiently. It would be great for someone to learn on, or for a second/wife's fatbike for an experienced rider.

  32. #232
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    887
    for those interested or on the fence - today only - Sports Authority 15% off all bikes and free shipping - puts this at $492.99 to your door (may inc tax if you live in a state with a store)

  33. #233
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12
    How was the Poker Run? It looked much soupier then last year, where I struggled riding a standard 29'er HT. Couldn't make it this year unfortunately. I was wondering how a fatty would fare in the conditions on the 18th. Love to hear the details.

  34. #234
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bugout Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    186

    mongoose Vinson

    This is what I think about for some reason when I think about the vinson. I definitely would like to see one in person because for $500 it's looks decent.

    Lol




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  35. #235
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    Triple D poker run was great. You're right, it was a wet muddy mess. Did the offroad between the start and Junction 21 and there wasn't enough snow... so everything got muddy and full of cowpie. By the end I think we had 1 of 6 derailleurs working, though with a spray of water that improved somewhat. From there the gravel roads were actually great between some of the poker stops. I think people who only did gravel roads to the stops had a really easy day. The Heritage trail, though, was about 1/2" of standing water. Despite waterproof tops, pants, boots within two miles everything was soaked. Durango Depot was a mess of soaking wet bikers and runners. Fortunately it was warm enough to not be miserable.

    I don't think equipment quality had anything to do with it, there way no way to stay dry and at some point enough mud will slow any drivetrain. But, we had a 29er in our group and he was struggling pretty often. My 29er is much nicer than my fatbike, but it would have been a huge mistake to bring it unless you did no offroad, and even then the fatbike was an advantage on the heritage trail portion.

    We kinda had to do the poker run due to the Packer game. Hopefully next year I can do the entire ride. 35 vs 67 miles is a lot, but I also sat and drank beer for 4 hours watching football.

  36. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugout Bikes View Post
    This is what I think about for some reason when I think about the vinson. I definitely would like to see one in person because for $500 it's looks decent.

    Lol

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think a BD is a rung up in quality I'd disagree. And this is coming from someone who's very happy with a Gravity 29er and looked to BD for a fatbike first. It was between this an a Boris for me, the winner should be obvious.

    To be honest all the Fatbike people are just pretty happy to be out riding and nobody riding on a trail is going to care. The only people that were a bit frustrating were casual riders, snowshoers, people walking dogs that were interested in getting one for casual snow riding if they could do it cheap and when I'd go into the whole (no, not walmart but sports authority and you need new tires.. blah... blah) it got a bit old. If I didn't enjoy talking to people (and a fatbike does get a lot of attention) it wouldn't be an issue at all.

    I didn't have a beef with the paint or graphics I've just always wanted a raw aluminum bike. I have a Trek in just clear that I think looks great. I didn't think the white/orange/blue was for me. But this is a YMMV sort of thing. The Vinson in raw looks awesome but it does take some time to get there. I wouldn't consider it work, though others might.

  37. #237
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    11

    vinson stand over

    What's the stand over on the vinson?

  38. #238
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by JJGT View Post
    What's the stand over on the vinson?
    I'm sorry, being tall that isn't something I pay much attention to when I look at bikes and so I don't really know how to measure the standover on a sloped tube. Even Sheldon Brown didn't help much. So, at the seattube toptube intersection it's 27.5in at the top of the top tube. Up at the head tube top tube intersection it's 35.5 at the top of the top tube. So I don't know, average that?

    Keep in mind this is with stock tires. Larger tires could increase that.

  39. #239
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    635
    I just bought a Vinson online from Sport Authority. $470 delivered, I'm pretty stoked. Ever since I knew I was moving to Madison, I've been thinking about adding a fatty to the quiver. I'm going to have a lot of trouble not adding a bunch of high buck parts to this bike. At the moment I am looking for some tire guidance perhaps tubeless info and a confirmation about the seatpost diameter.

    I understand the stock Missions are kind of useless in the snow. There are some fairly inexpensive option out there, I can get a pair of Devist-8er ULs for ~$105 some wire bead (I hate wire bead) Panaracers for $80 or so, Snowshoes (not XLs), or maybe I can score some Floaters (though they are never in stock). Are any of these decent enough for some experimental snow rides? Has anyone tried split tub tubeless with these?

    Also is the seatpost really 30.6mm? I have a 30.9mm Thomson Masterpiece sitting in a bin, I'd love to use it.

  40. #240
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dietz31684's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    943
    I'm torn between the Vinson and a bikes direct bike. With the sports authority sale going on right now I can get it for $470 after sales tax and shipping. At the bottom of the home page you can sign up to get their emails and get an additional 10% off. Plus they have the 15% off with free shipping. Tough call...I'm between that or the gravity bullseye monster. Huge difference in rim size but other than that not much difference...

  41. #241
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    I just bought a Vinson online from Sport Authority. $470 delivered, I'm pretty stoked. Ever since I knew I was moving to Madison, I've been thinking about adding a fatty to the quiver. I'm going to have a lot of trouble not adding a bunch of high buck parts to this bike. At the moment I am looking for some tire guidance perhaps tubeless info and a confirmation about the seatpost diameter.

    I understand the stock Missions are kind of useless in the snow. There are some fairly inexpensive option out there, I can get a pair of Devist-8er ULs for ~$105 some wire bead (I hate wire bead) Panaracers for $80 or so, Snowshoes (not XLs), or maybe I can score some Floaters (though they are never in stock). Are any of these decent enough for some experimental snow rides? Has anyone tried split tub tubeless with these?

    Also is the seatpost really 30.6mm? I have a 30.9mm Thomson Masterpiece sitting in a bin, I'd love to use it.
    First thing first, the seatpost really is 30.6mm. I didn't measure it, but it has that stamped on it.

    As for tires, the stock mission controls are not terrible on a gravel road. They aren't for snow. The tires you mention aren't great either, the Panaracers are the lowest volume tire (217mm bead to bead and 3mm nubs) and Devist-8er's aren't a quality improvement either. Look at some 60tpi Nates, wait for the Floaters (mine come in on Monday) or spend the extra on something really good. I wouldn't buy the regular size snowshoe, the Bulldozer for just a bit more might work. Keep in mind a 5" tire will fit up front no problem. Maybe keep an eye on craigslist for a Bud or BFL or a used Nate (though ideally not the 27tpi version).

    Sorry, not tubeless here.

    If you really are going to throw high buck parts at it start with tires and brakes.

  42. #242
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bepperb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    I'm torn between the Vinson and a bikes direct bike. With the sports authority sale going on right now I can get it for $470 after sales tax and shipping. At the bottom of the home page you can sign up to get their emails and get an additional 10% off. Plus they have the 15% off with free shipping. Tough call...I'm between that or the gravity bullseye monster. Huge difference in rim size but other than that not much difference...
    I'd agree, quality and spec wise they are similar but with a big difference in rim size. On the Vinson 100mm wheels the 4" mission controls only go about 3mm past the rim, there is no going smaller with these. If you go with the bullseye monster you probably can't go past the 4" tires to the next tier (BFL, Bulldozer, juggernaut 4.5.... etc). I think the BD would be better for year round mountain bike and the Vinson for a winter only ride. Another consideration might be your weight (and required tire volume). Have you considered the Boris X5?

    Any which way you do it just get something and ride. It'll be Feb before you're on the trails now, every day you wait is wasted.

  43. #243
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dietz31684's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    I'd agree, quality and spec wise they are similar but with a big difference in rim size. On the Vinson 100mm wheels the 4" mission controls only go about 3mm past the rim, there is no going smaller with these. If you go with the bullseye monster you probably can't go past the 4" tires to the next tier (BFL, Bulldozer, juggernaut 4.5.... etc). I think the BD would be better for year round mountain bike and the Vinson for a winter only ride. Another consideration might be your weight (and required tire volume). Have you considered the Boris X5?

    Any which way you do it just get something and ride. It'll be Feb before you're on the trails now, every day you wait is wasted.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not a small guy @ 5'-11" 220lbs. I checked out he Boris X5 too and it's definitely in the running. I have no intentions to make this a snow only bike, so I don't think that I'll "need" to go bigger than 4" tires. I live in central PA and our typical snowfalls are 2-4" at a time, we do have some larger storms but they're maybe 1 a season. My other bike is a 140mm trail bike and I feel like it's overkill for some hardpack/flow trails in the summer so I intend on riding the fat then.

    The Boris X9 looks solid and seems to be the bike where you start to get into some nicer components (x7/x9/x5 cranks/bb7), but if I get to that price point I'm tempted to spend the extra $200 and get a monster pro with Bluto. So I basically have no idea what to do and no chance at riding/touching any of the bikes. I think if I had the bikes in front of me I could pick one in about 30 minutes. Decisions decisions....

    I also don't feel like I'm in too much of a rush since I'm planning on riding the bike in all conditions. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible but I'd say my realistic budget without really pushing the envelope with my wife is about $700. I'm just kind of thinking out loud here since there are so many options and I assume a lot of people looking at these budget fatbike threads are fighting the same fight!

  44. #244
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pspycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not a small guy @ 5'-11" 220lbs. I checked out he Boris X5 too and it's definitely in the running. I have no intentions to make this a snow only bike, so I don't think that I'll "need" to go bigger than 4" tires. I live in central PA and our typical snowfalls are 2-4" at a time, we do have some larger storms but they're maybe 1 a season. My other bike is a 140mm trail bike and I feel like it's overkill for some hardpack/flow trails in the summer so I intend on riding the fat then.

    The Boris X9 looks solid and seems to be the bike where you start to get into some nicer components (x7/x9/x5 cranks/bb7), but if I get to that price point I'm tempted to spend the extra $200 and get a monster pro with Bluto. So I basically have no idea what to do and no chance at riding/touching any of the bikes. I think if I had the bikes in front of me I could pick one in about 30 minutes. Decisions decisions....

    I also don't feel like I'm in too much of a rush since I'm planning on riding the bike in all conditions. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible but I'd say my realistic budget without really pushing the envelope with my wife is about $700. I'm just kind of thinking out loud here since there are so many options and I assume a lot of people looking at these budget fatbike threads are fighting the same fight!
    One thing to consider with your height is the Vinson is a "one size fits all" - Medium. At least with a BD offering you can pick a size.

    I bought one of the Vinsons as a gift for my uncle. I agree that the stock tires are worthless. The brake levers are garbage, so spend $15 for a pair of Avid levers. Finally, the SRAM X4 derailleur will also work, but it has steel parts which may rust over time.
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

  45. #245
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    394
    Could someone who has the Vinson measure the seat tube? I measured all the tubes and angles in Photoshop, but I need an absolute length to calibrate those measurements. Once I have that, I can post up the geometry, since I haven't been able to find any info on the geometry. Also, if you do measure the seat tube length, can you let me know if it is center-to-center or top to center? Thanks!

  46. #246
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    44
    If anyone wishes to sell their stock Vee Missions tires , send me a PM on how much you want for the pair , shipped to Arkansas . I want to put them on my Dolomite. If the price is right, I can pay thru pay-pal and save you the time of listing on ebay and paying their 13% fees.

    Thanks.

  47. #247
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Could someone who has the Vinson measure the seat tube? I measured all the tubes and angles in Photoshop, but I need an absolute length to calibrate those measurements. Once I have that, I can post up the geometry, since I haven't been able to find any info on the geometry. Also, if you do measure the seat tube length, can you let me know if it is center-to-center or top to center? Thanks!
    70hta
    73 sta
    610mm horizontal top tube
    587mm actual top tube
    432mm seat tube canter to top, -50mm center to center
    135mm headtube
    462mm axle to crown
    45mm rake
    1142 wheel base
    60mm bb drop
    473mm chainstay
    Mongoose product development

  48. #248
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    394
    Thanks for one-upping me, skota!

  49. #249
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    189
    ha, saved you some work
    Mongoose product development

  50. #250
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    34

    on one floaters comment

    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    ha, saved you some work
    Dear bepperb, thanks so much for all your comments, very much appreciated by this newbie! anyway, just had my local bike shop install a pair of on one floaters on my Vinson today after less than 20 miles on the missions. (as mentioned, missions a bit squirrely in snow). I watched LBS install and they did mention on one's seemed not as wide as ideal prior to filling with air on the 100mm rims, and had to add a bit of soap to get proper tire depth all around rim. LBS filled to 20psi and said all was good and seated fine. I cant wait to try them out, but most snow has melted in Chicago area, Ill just ride around town. thanks again!

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mongoose SX 6.5
    By ischmitz in forum Mongoose-Schwinn
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 04:40 PM
  2. Mongoose VPP
    By Slow86gn in forum Mongoose-Schwinn
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2013, 05:46 PM
  3. Mongoose XR 200 help
    By ZDR420 in forum Mongoose-Schwinn
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 03:18 PM
  4. Mongoose VRS 5.0
    By kalgatha in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-25-2011, 06:07 PM
  5. Mongoose ? Why
    By Orangechilly in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •