Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: mongoose Vinson

mtbr member
    Yee Haw, I found a Mongoose Vinson at my local MC Sport, 30 miles away local. It was the display model though. It has a few scratches on the rear derailleur and rear rim. Sales guy said it was from being moved in and out of the display rack since Christmas. The manager of the store said she would knock off another $50 if I wanted it, heck yea baby. Got it for $499. Let the upgrades begin, I'm stoked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-vinson-019.jpg  

Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker
    2016 Surly Ogre (Blacktacular)

mtbr member
    By the way. The MC Sports in Springfield, Ohio has a silver Mongoose Fat Bike on the rack. It's a 7 speed model. It's not a Vinson. I think they said it was a Massif, or something like that. It had 26" wheels.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    The Argus is up on the mongoose site as of today...

Mongoose | Argus

curious to how soon they will be available at your finer big box retailers where one can cash in on promos at the appropriate time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hello, new member here, hope to find a Vinson or even a Argus some time before spring.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if a Surly Fat Bike fork would work on a Mongoose Vinson. Liking those extra water bottle mounts.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Ok, I guess I'm being mildly lazy and not searching, has anyone experienced the squeaky tires on their Vinson?y father got one about 3 weeks ago and just recently the tires, quite literally, started squeaking. Not a bearing issue, my thoughts are from those rims. When I let all the air out I noticed the tires actually just flop around on the rim.

Any similar experiences? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance everyone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yes mine squeaked. It is friction between the tire and tube. Open up a bead and apply a liberal amount of baby powder. I've been doing this for a while on my road bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB29erCurt View Post
    Anyone know if a Surly Fat Bike fork would work on a Mongoose Vinson. Liking those extra water bottle mounts.
    If the steerer dimensions are the same,most any fork will work. I plan on using a Krampus fork in the summer to run 29+ and slacken the HT angle. That being said, you can add the mounting bosses to any fork with some time, patients, and the right tools.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    Yes mine squeaked. It is friction between the tire and tube. Open up a bead and apply a liberal amount of baby powder. I've been doing this for a while on my road bikes.
    I already powdered the heck out of them to no avail. I can get it to squeak by essentially sitting on the tire and feeling with my fingers and it definitely feels like its where the tire meets the rim. I'm wondering if a light layer of grease on the bead would be helpful or hurtful

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Try a light layer of vegetable or olive oil and see if it goes away. If it works then find a longer lasting option like lithium or carbon. Petroleum based products may affect the rubber.

mtbr member
    I don't like the idea of lubricating the bead at all, but if you are going to don't use a petroleum based lubricant. Either syl-glide or a dielectric grease would be easy to find and be inert to the rubber. To be honest I have no idea what vegetable oils do to rubber, probably nothing, but I can't say.

Vinson has a 1-1/8 threadless steerer. A lot of forks will fit. Some fat forks are tapered and will not fit. It will be easy to find a Surly fork that fits. Most carbon or the bluto will not.

I'm working on cheap diy fork mounts, I'll have pics up in a few days. My frame bag uses all my bottle mounting space, zip tie bottle cage shifts too much. Here's a graphic representation of that fact from the trail last night (yes, when I stopped to pee):

mongoose Vinson-img_20150224_171025a.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick response Slowride454 and Bepperd. I may just see if there's any clamp on mounts out there on the net.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

Light freak

additional mounting point ideas

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting that Scar. I guess a Surly fork would be a better idea. I notice that the Surly fat bike fork has 135mm drop out. Is that the right size for the Vinson hub.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Scar, that's where I started. To be honest those aren't going to cut it. The "good" ones are in the 20 plus range. Most wouldn't last 10 miles. Many wouldn't last me going over the snow berm at the end of my driveway. And they look like crap.

What I want (and that page shows but does not sell) is something like this:

Name:  seatpostclamp.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  13.5 KB

Which are no longer available and probably too expensive anyway. Also any seat post boss will be too narrow for the fork tubes, which are 32mm but need extra width to get around the base. I already tried with 32mm clamps.

My plan is non-qr seatpost clamps in 34.9mm dia, which are about 2 bucks apiece on ebay (yes from china). These go around a rubber o-ring to protect the fork and make the stepped nature of the seatpost clamp flat. The o ring also allows a wider clamp that will go over the wheel boss at the bottom of the fork.

I'll post pics when I'm done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obxmush View Post
    Ok, I guess I'm being mildly lazy and not searching, has anyone experienced the squeaky tires on their Vinson?y father got one about 3 weeks ago and just recently the tires, quite literally, started squeaking. Not a bearing issue, my thoughts are from those rims. When I let all the air out I noticed the tires actually just flop around on the rim.

Any similar experiences? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance everyone.
    It's the Vee Mission tires. I have a Minnesota framed and that noise was annoying as all get out. Same as you I could make the sound just pushing down on it or sitting on it. Switched tires (MUCH BETTER! Mission tires SUCK!) No more sound and the tires are WAY better, no self steer, way more traction. I'm using Framed Tires now.

mtbr member
    135mm is the right size. Understand that the Vinson uses "front" 135mm hubs. These have a different disc rotor spacing from a "rear" 135mm hub. On some bikes, like the Pugsley, Surly uses a "rear" 135mm hub up front to allow the wheels to be swapped. In that case the fork will mount to your Vinson and your wheel will mount on the fork but the disc rotor won't go into the caliper.

I think you'll have to read more about this and take a look at some Salsa forks, which IIRC have the right rotor spacing.

Still, to drop 100 bucks to get a threaded hole is insane to me.

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    Scar, that's where I started. To be honest those aren't going to cut it. The "good" ones are in the 20 plus range. Most wouldn't last 10 miles. Many wouldn't last me going over the snow berm at the end of my driveway. And they look like crap.

What I want (and that page shows but does not sell) is something like this:

Name:  seatpostclamp.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  13.5 KB

Which are no longer available and probably too expensive anyway. Also any seat post boss will be too narrow for the fork tubes, which are 32mm but need extra width to get around the base. I already tried with 32mm clamps.

My plan is non-qr seatpost clamps in 34.9mm dia, which are about 2 bucks apiece on ebay (yes from china). These go around a rubber o-ring to protect the fork and make the stepped nature of the seatpost clamp flat. The o ring also allows a wider clamp that will go over the wheel boss at the bottom of the fork.

I'll post pics when I'm done.
    Did you consider a braze on adapter? run about $3 from china and they are hinged, so easier to slip around the fork tubes. Available in 31.8 or 34.9 and other sizes. I used them for a few different mounts (lights, bottles, shifters) on my old bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    135mm is the right size. Understand that the Vinson uses "front" 135mm hubs. These have a different disc rotor spacing from a "rear" 135mm hub. On some bikes, like the Pugsley, Surly uses a "rear" 135mm hub up front to allow the wheels to be swapped. In that case the fork will mount to your Vinson and your wheel will mount on the fork but the disc rotor won't go into the caliper.

I think you'll have to read more about this and take a look at some Salsa forks, which IIRC have the right rotor spacing.

Still, to drop 100 bucks to get a threaded hole is insane to me.
    Now that brings up another question.

If I keep my Vinson that way it is, would I be able to upgrade to Avid BB7's.

I was thinking about the Surly forks in the way of having mounting points for a front rack for touring. I know Thule makes a rack that doesn't use any mounting bosses. I may just go that route.

The biggest concern would be being able to switch out to Avid BB7's.

Oh by the way, you can find Surly forks on ebay for much less than $100, new ones too.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    yes, I have BB7's on mine

mtbr member
    Sweet, Thanks CruJonez.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CruJonez View Post
    yes, I have BB7's on mine
    You go with the 180mm on the front.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    no i went back to 160's because I have avid 160's on hand and I didn't want to clutter up the post mounts on my carver fork. The stock rotors suck so I would rather run a better rotor than have the extra 20mm. I haven't ever really noticed that much difference in 180 vs 160 rotors on any of my bikes. I did notice when I ran 203's on my downhill rig. (of course they are also harder to keep from getting bent. If I were going to go bigger up front, I'd try to throw one of those on it, but I don't know if the stock fork will clear 203.

mtbr member
    Cool, Just wanted to make sure the 160mm would work on the Vinson fork. Thanks again.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Did you consider a braze on adapter? run about $3 from china and they are hinged, so easier to slip around the fork tubes. Available in 31.8 or 34.9 and other sizes. I used them for a few different mounts (lights, bottles, shifters) on my old bike.
    Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I'm doing. The difference between the two is the hinge and a braze on has a second hole. I thought the hinges looked unclean and I didn't like one more bolt to rattle loose. I bought longer machine screws to use the clamp bolt both to tighten and to hold the bottle cage. I think on the disc side, though, you would have to use a braze on, since it would be harder to slip it up. I was able to get 31.8mm seat clamps on the fork legs, but the open slit was too far open to get a good angle and use the same screw to tighten and hold the cage.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My On-One Floaters arrived.
    Are these tires too small for the rim, or is the rim just a crappy lip design? I have tried to mount with baby powder. I have tried to mount with soapy water. I have tried green eggs and ham. I have tried 30psi.
    about 1/4 of the tire will stay down in the lower portion of the rim...I don't understand why a rim would be shaped this way... My concern is riding in the snow / muck I will end up getting water inside the tires. I know from experience this can cause the stem to unglue.
    Anybody having this issue with floaters or other tires?
    I was thinking of wrapping packing foam through the center channel to make it flush with the sides of the rim, and then wrap a layer of tape.
    Thoughts?
    If I do this should I still run tubes on this rim?
    -Thnx!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I assume you tried lots of soapy water and 30 psi at the same time? In any case, I think the tire is at least part of the issue - I just put new floaters on my framed minnesota and it took lots of soapy water and just over 20 psi to get them to mount - the nates and missions that I've had on the bike previously seated no problem at around 5 psi dry...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've had the Orange On-One Floaters on my fatty for a few months now. 80mm in the rear and 100mm up front... no issues getting them mounted. I thought I saw someone having some sidewall issues with the floaters somewhere? Maybe there are some bad batches?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the info. I'll give it another go tonight. As much as I'd hate to send them back I might do that rather than fight with the install.

I did try soapy water with high pressure....not a ton of soapy water, but I had things coated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Maybe before you send them back and blame the tires... maybe try a friends wheels? Maybe it is something funky with your wheels?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    OK, I might actually try this minus the cat, with tubes (...or without?)
    The styrofoam looks like it would help either way.

On-One Fatty Wheelset and Floater Tire Tubeless Setup (How To)

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    mongoose Vinson-unnamed.jpg

Finally had a chance to snap a pic of mine

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	968120

Finally had a chance to snap a pic of mine
    Which fork is that. Aluminum or Cro-moly.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    that's the carbon carver o'beast

mtbr member
    that's the carbon carver o'beast
    Nice.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

Light freak

From this morning's ride

mongoose Vinson-img_2287%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just throwing this out there in case anybody is having troubles mounting tires on the stock rims.

I was able to mount the On-One Floaters. I picked up a role of 3-1/2" sill seal foam at Menards.
    https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...021-c-5776.htm
    This foam fit 'perfectly' into the center groove of the rim where the tire bead was getting stuck. I then wrapped a thin strip of Gorilla tape around each side, taping the foam to the rim bead area. Then I wrapped a final wide layer of gorilla tape down the center just to get rid of any bare foam to avoid friction on the tube.

Although there is still no 'pop' of the tire hooking into place, it no longer gets stuck in the lower channel of the rim. Just for ****s and giggles I did try two layers of foam before the gorilla tape. This made an insanely tight fit...I had to use the tire levers to get the tire on, and using a stans stem I was able to use a low volume roadbike pump to mount the tire without tube or sealant. I could then hear the foam compacting down under the air pressure. I took the tire off and on again, and could no longer mount it tubeless with just a hand pump. The foam may have pressed down and loosened things up...maybe my compressor would have done it, but I went back to one layer foam and a tube.

For now I'm debating leaving it set up this way, or using stan's sealant 'IN' the tube in hopes of avoiding flats - and having to replace the tube once it dries up.... -or try the initial tubeless mount mentioned above with some sealant. I'm just nervous that would turn into a pain in the ass when it comes to cleaning old sealant boogers and re-mounting. That's why I moved my other bikes back to tubes - I didn't like pulling them all down from the ceiling once a week to spin the tires and prevent sealant boogers, just to have some last 1 month and others last 3 months.

In any case there is one last snow storm coming through the mid-west tonight so I can't wait to try these tires out tomorrow morning!!!

mtbr member
    I also have Floaters on the Vinson rims. It was a tight fit. I did use soapy water. I had one tire where about 3" on both sides of the tire didn't have the bead seated resulting in a dip when you'd spin the wheel. I reseated 3 times after rotating the tire and the bead just wasn't large enough it would seat correctly. I rode it about 300 yards "bad" and it was perfect after that. I've never had to do anything like this, but figured it would work itself out to the seat, and it did. Tubed tires aren't rocket science, only 3 things can happen. The tire stays down in the channel forever... or hopefully the tire flexes/stretches and the bead makes it's way out to the hook... or catastrophic failure of the tire destroying the rim and ultimately the entire drivetrain and breaking the frame in two, generally with some injury to the rider, likely in front of a minivan filled with kids who have to watch in horror.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    1. This is quite possibly the best answer I have received. Hopefully I don't run into option 3.

2. ....so basically all I had to do was ride the damn thing rather than install a bunch of crap in the rim.

3. Thanks for the hanger info. Did you ever confirm the replacement? I would try ordering one of those, but I walked into a Performance Bike and had them go through a big box of hangers and find a couple exact matches. It's too bad they didn't have part numbers on them, but they fit perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Does anyone know of the Vinson was sold in New England? And if so, might anyone know the location of one in the Boston area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    Does anyone know of the Vinson was sold in New England? And if so, might anyone know the location of one in the Boston area?
    Do you have a MC Sports in your area. I found mine by calling around last week, and I found it at the first MC Sports I called. They only had the display model left, but fine with me.

I got to ride mine today in the 4" of snow we got last night. Road it for about 5 miles up and down the streets here in my hood, people just a looking. LOL
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I just checked and the closest one if 541 miles Away is Ohio. Thanks for the tip, maybe I can call and store and ask

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I had to take a break from daddy duties and school work mid day, I just could not take looking out the window any more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-image_3.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-image_5.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009

No ride like a Snow ride

We got a blast of snow in Indy. The floaters were a much needed upgrade, but even at 4psi I was having some issues riding where someone with a beefier tire was cutting through 7" of wet fluffy stuff.

Here is my ride - aside from the tires I spent less than $100 at a swap meet for a 9 spd drive-train, hydraulic brakes, and a saddle. Threw some SPD's on. Cut some ergo grips to fit the gripshifters.
    The 8spd crank is working but I'm trying to figure out what is compatible for when I do fry the BB or chainrings.

mongoose Vinson-zachsvinson.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ztbishop View Post
    The 8spd crank is working but I'm trying to figure out what is compatible for when I do fry the BB or chainrings.
    It's a standard 100mm bb shell, most fat bike cranksets come with a bracket that will fit right in. The issues you need to look out for are twofold. First, most are for a bike with a 170mm rear end and will either hit the chainstays and/or have a chainline too far inboard. There are several 190 compatible cranksets, though, just be aware there is a difference and it's poorly documented. Second is the E type front derailleur on the Vinson will really only work with something 22/30/40 or similar, there is no vertical adjustment so it probably won't work well with something like a 22/36 double (which would be ideal IMO).

My current plan: lose the large chainring with some single chainring bolts and ride it out until more stuff hits the market. I'm 9 speed on the stock crankset with no abnormal wear and shifting that is ok. I don't shift much up front, though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Finally got some snow and wanted to take my vinson to work but couldn't due to a bone head move that resulted in a bent rim. Need to re true my front and check tension in both.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Second attempt at tubeless was a success. We'll see if they hold air overnight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post

Name:	IMG_2287[1].jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	968427

Cool picture !

C

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    great bike, rode this one the other day, and just laughed at how much fun a fat bike could be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Second attempt at tubeless was a success. We'll see if they hold air overnight.
    Please let us know... I gave up lol.
    what tires are you running?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    It's top secret...

No really, this is what I did:

I have and will always prefer split tube. It's always been easier to set up on every tubeless setup I've done.

I'm running Surly Big Fat Larry's with the ultralight casing that are nearly new (take offs).

Fit seemed pretty similar to the Mission Controls, when I tried with just a split tube, they weren't nearly tight enough try. I threw the tubes back in.

I went into home depot looking for some 4" wide foam tape that I could use to fill up the center channel of the rim. I didn't find 4" but found some 2":

Armacell 2 in. x 30 ft. R-1 Foam Insulation Tape-TAP18230 - The Home Depot

I wrapped the rim with two widths of tape side by side, butted as close to the sidewall of the rim as possible, directly over the existing rim tape. Then I stretched my split tube over the foam and mounted the tires. I removed the valve core and they inflated as if they had tubes in them. This is all with a compressor. Add sealant and enjoy!

Two notable points are that I had to remove the valve core. I tried with it in, and couldn't get enough air in the tire. This is standard practice for me, but I've had some wheels where it wasn't required.

At the time, these were losing more air than other setups I've done. I had to keep putting air in and sloshing Stans around. After I went and road around the yard a minute, I topped them off and we'll see where they are at tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    It's top secret...

No really, this is what I did:

I have and will always prefer split tube. It's always been easier to set up on every tubeless setup I've done.

I'm running Surly Big Fat Larry's with the ultralight casing that are nearly new (take offs).

Fit seemed pretty similar to the Mission Controls, when I tried with just a split tube, they weren't nearly tight enough try. I threw the tubes back in.

I went into home depot looking for some 4" wide foam tape that I could use to fill up the center channel of the rim. I didn't find 4" but found some 2":

Armacell 2 in. x 30 ft. R-1 Foam Insulation Tape-TAP18230 - The Home Depot

I wrapped the rim with two widths of tape side by side, butted as close to the sidewall of the rim as possible, directly over the existing rim tape. Then I stretched my split tube over the foam and mounted the tires. I removed the valve core and they inflated as if they had tubes in them. This is all with a compressor. Add sealant and enjoy!

Two notable points are that I had to remove the valve core. I tried with it in, and couldn't get enough air in the tire. This is standard practice for me, but I've had some wheels where it wasn't required.

At the time, these were losing more air than other setups I've done. I had to keep putting air in and sloshing Stans around. After I went and road around the yard a minute, I topped them off and we'll see where they are at tomorrow.
    Looking forward to the update... hope it works out.
    My concern is that the bead will pop off when riding at low psi. I've been running 4.5 psi on sand and 3.5 - 4.0 in the deep snow and I can basically unset the bead by hand if I wanted to at that low psi.

Light freak

Pic from yesterday's before work ride

5 a.m.
    4 degrees F
    Cutting trail thru 5-6 inches of fresh snow

mongoose Vinson-fat-tire-fifo.jpg

mtbr member
    5 a.m.
    4 degrees F
    Cutting trail thru 5-6 inches of fresh snow

Name:	Fat tire FIFO.jpg 
Views:	589 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	969909

cool

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    awesome picture, where is that?
    Mongoose product development

Light freak
    That was at Apex Park which is in Golden, CO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredMaster View Post
    Looking forward to the update... hope it works out.
    My concern is that the bead will pop off when riding at low psi. I've been running 4.5 psi on sand and 3.5 - 4.0 in the deep snow and I can basically unset the bead by hand if I wanted to at that low psi.
    Here in utah, I think our snow riding is mostly over and during the summer I'll be using my vinson more as a gravel grinder. So it'll probably be a while before I have my tires at that low of psi.

One thing is having the foam on there does tighten the bead up, and over time stans tends to glue the bead to the rim.

mtbr member
    That was at Apex Park which is in Golden, CO.

Man, I would love to live out there. Just to be able to ride my Vinson up and down the Great Divide MTB Trail a few days at a time. MTB packing trips.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    If anyone is looking for a deal on new rubber for spring and summer I just scored 2 Kenda Juggernaut tires shipped for $87.98. They are the 60 tpi, 4.5" version with wire bead. Mountain Plus Outdoor Gear is having a 20% off deal for any fat bike products. They also have the 4.0" version for $5 less per tire. That would be 2 tires for $77.98.

Fat Bikes | Mountains Plus Outdoor Gear

promo: phat20

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just went out and checked my tires. Both are holding plenty of air, the rear may have lost a teeny bit, but that might be in my mind.

Rode it around a bit and didn't notice any issues. I still need to circumcise the split tubes, but other than that it looks like a winner.

Light freak
    mongoose Vinson-glow-dark-fifo.jpg

mtbr member
    Midnight run last night. Left the house at 1145pm was down at beach by 12am after hitting a few snow mounds and stair gaps on the way that Ive been eyeballing. Beach ride was awesome on way back, with the wind blowing 15-20 on my back it helped me fly through the 6" of soft soft snow I was struggling on in the headwind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-image.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-image.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Ive been riding my vinson for a month now its a heck of a bike for the money. the tires are the only thing left to replace in the future but they haven't been that bad. I upgraded to a Thomson seatpost ,kore riser bar,wtb saddle,avid brake levers and wellgo magnesium cage pedals. the bike is shifting great and no squeaky noises from the tires.the headset was the only thing hard to adjust. I am a little worried about all the salt that gets on the bike as I ride to the park and bike paths via local roads.I have been keeping it lubed and I just washed and detailed so heres some photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-snowmongo-040.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-snowmongo-042.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-snowmongo-018.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-snowmongo-043.jpg  

mtbr member
    I forgot I also upgraded to a 80 mm ritchey stem. most of the upgrades were purchased on ebay used. the pedals and seatpost were new but got a pretty good deal.some more photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-snowmongo-013.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-snowmongo-014.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-snowmongo-050.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-snowmongo-011.jpg  

mtbr member
    Great day and super fun session today with some friends out in Cunningam Park, Queens NY ...

via Imgflip GIF Maker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-chp.jpg  

mtbr member
    LOL, Wish I could still do that. Rode mine for about 10 miles on the bike way yesterday. Tell you one thing. These tires aren't worth a damn in the snow and ice, bought went down many times. Lucky I always kept a good grip on the handlebars. Where people skied and walked in the snow, wanted to rip the handlebars from my hands.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    LOL, Wish I could still do that. Rode mine for about 10 miles on the bike way yesterday. Tell you one thing. These tires aren't worth a damn in the snow and ice, bought went down many times. Lucky I always kept a good grip on the handlebars. Where people skied and walked in the snow, wanted to rip the handlebars from my hands.
    You never know unless you try
    I'm looking to push my Vinson to its limits to see what happens... hopefully nothing catastrophic. Hahaha.
    Tire upgrade is worth every dollar you spend. The stock missions command tires look like they'd perform well in anything but snow and deep soft sand. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me I live in a beach location that gets snow, so a tire upgrade was almost mandatory to ride this winter.

mtbr member
    OH No, I'm almost 62 now. I did that 20 years ago with old klunker mountain bike, I wouldn't even consider it now.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    OH No, I'm almost 62 now. I did that 20 years ago with old klunker mountain bike, I wouldn't even consider it now.
    61 and still riding, that's just as awesome in my book. Keep on pedaling 29erCurt.

mtbr member
    61 and still riding, that's just as awesome in my book. Keep on pedaling 29erCurt.
    I mostly ride recumbent trikes, and a two wheeler recumbent too. I do have a Trek (Gary Fisher) MOMBA 29er mountain bike I hit the MTB trails with a couple times a week. I also have a Surly Disc Trucker set up for touring. And of course my Mongoose Vinson now. I'm still a strong rider and most people half my age can't keep up with me on the bike way. I'm just getting slow on the off road stuff, don't take chances anymore after breaking my wrist and collar bone a couple years ago. That put me out of riding for a few months, didn't enjoy that. I'll ride until I drop, just hate starting over every spring. I hate winter months. LOL
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

Light freak

mtbr member
    I would do that ^, knowing that I had a clear line.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Dang it I have a well optioned Dolo and should have pulled the trigger on a Vinson when i had the chance!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skamatt23 View Post
    Dang it I have a well optioned Dolo and should have pulled the trigger on a Vinson when i had the chance!
    You make that sound like there isn't going to be any more Vinson's made. Do you know something that we don't?
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    I don't think there will be any more Vinson bikes. Looks as if Argus is taking its place.

Light freak
    I do find it strange that it has been removed from the mongoose.com site?

skota23 - you got any insight? I don"t think the port strike is a factor anymore?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Skota has started here and on the local (Madison) forum that more are cooking.

mtbr member
    .... its just a myth. don't anyone get their hopes up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I had the chance to ride a vinson this past weekend for 12.1 miles of very good single track, with a lot of snow. The track was mildly ridden with a main grove of about 8 inches wide that had been ridden. The photo attached should give an indication of trail conditions. Anyway, it performed admirably. I also rode someone's 9 zero 7 with larry tires. The Vinson's geometry is more race oriented and the steering more twitchy. Part of the steering could very well be the tires which are stock. Being wider, I would occasionally brush an edge of deeper snow and get pulled into the deep snow, which took a lot of effort to go through. It really is an amazing deal, so hopefully the rumors that it is going away are not true. Even with stock tires, they gripped, even on icier open areas of the trail system. It is a blast to ride. mongoose Vinson-vlcsnap-2015-03-11-19h24m45s18.jpg

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I called the mongoose warranty department about a replacement part and then asked for the heck of it about the vinson and if the production run is done she said yes that there wont be any more ? Im not sure what the warranty department person knows about a bikes production but that's the answer I got.

mtbr member
    I've never seen an Argus for sale on the internet or otherwise. I haven't seen a Vinson in about a month, and those seem to be what was leftover at MC sports from their Black Friday sale. It would be nice if they could make something on these frames, either of those two bikes or something else. These were unique in that they were the cheapest offroadable fat bike available, and the fact that came in pretty light was great too. Even if Pacific were to sell these under a private label or contract them for someone else I'd be fine with it. Seems a shame if they really are no more.

Of course, it could also be a seasonal thing... though I would think there are plenty of beach riders or people who just want a unique cruiser in the summer months.

I guess we'll see. It's a big jump (200 bucks plus) up to the Minnesota 1.0, for a bike that is pretty comparable (better tires and components, but 1x drivetrain). Really if you're in the 5-600 buck market it's BikesDirect or nothing. I've had good experiences with them but I'd rather they weren't the only show in town.

mtbr member
    It is a shame that it looks like the vinson is done. there is no doubt the vinson is a great bike for such a low price point.my guess is it was a experiment for mongoose to see how well a (real) budget fat bike would sell for them making a production run of so many and then not having enough for the strong demand.it doesn't make sense. I have only seen the argus on youtube or bike magazine reviews and it looks like only overseas and not the us.the mongoose facebook page shows a room full of vinsons and argus fat bikes that mongoose employees ride around on at the Wisconsin headquarters. it looks like just a matter of time before the argus will be sold here and if its true that the argus will be 999.99 it would be a hell of a deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    We have a hole container of Vinsons sitting at the LA port.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So how come it's no longer on the site?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    and What about the Argus? Whole container of those at the LA port also?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not sure shinkers

pretty sure the Argus's are on the way still, not at port yet

mtbr member
    Only one container of Vinson's, that sounds strange. One container is only a semi load. I wouldn't think that would be much more than about 200 Vinson's.

I'm glad I found my Vinson when I did. Come on dry weather. Can't ride around here when the trails are wet, they close em.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    its around 450, with another right on its heals

mtbr member
    its around 450, with another right on its heals
    Sounds good. You wouldn't think they would pack those containers that full, fear of being top heavy for the semi's.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sounds good. You wouldn't think they would pack those containers that full, fear of being top heavy for the semi's.
    That's less than 25000 pounds (at 55 lbs per bike/packaging). Add in another 8000 lbs for the container, and you are still less than the roughly 40,000-50,000 lbs a truck can legally haul (80,000 lbs gross, 20,000 for the tractor, 10-15,000 for the trailer). Not an issue.

mtbr member

Vinson is back for sale at sports authority and ***** sporting goods

Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    That's less than 25000 pounds (at 55 lbs per bike/packaging). Add in another 8000 lbs for the container, and you are still less than the roughly 40,000-50,000 lbs a truck can legally haul (80,000 lbs gross, 20,000 for the tractor, 10-15,000 for the trailer). Not an issue.
    I was surfing the interwebs today and for the fun of it checked ***** sporting goods , the sports authority and ebay for the vinson and it is back again for sale. its not on the mongoose website. for weeks when you looked for the vinson at these stores web sites it would just come up page unavailable or currently no products but looking today its back ! never trust a warranty department to tell you if a bike is still gonna be available.

mtbr member
    skota23 thank you for the loaded container in port info. the vinson rides again !

mtbr member
    oooops
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Yup, back on ebay. Mongoose Vinson All Terrain Fat Bike | eBay

Says, Limited quantity available. They also want an arm and leg for shipping. That's where that ebayer is making money, charging that much for shipping.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    free shipping and 10% off for signing up for emails...

Mongoose Vinson All-Terrain Fat Bike - SportsAuthority.com

if you wait a week I'm sure there will be another 15% or 20% off promo that is applicable to bike purchases like when I bought mine. Total will be under $450 shipped.

mtbr member
    Looks like the big D's wants a lot for shipping too.

http://www.*****sportinggoods.com/pr...18012.12458051
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Opps, link^ not working, wonder why. LOL
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quick question,

Last week out on a quick ride by my house, during a river crossing, I went through a spot that I presumed to be shallow, that actually got dangerously close to putting my hubs under water if they weren't actually submerged.

Both wheels seem to spin fine to me, can I expect to need to service these soon? Or are they sealed well enough to be fairly unaffected?

FTR, the spot in the river was only 5-6 feet before it shallowed out again, so they weren't under very long.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Can't hurt to open the cones up, clean out any grit, old grease, water, or any other contaminates that might chew the bearings or races up. Clean the seals and regrease everything. Bout to service mine as I ride the beach frequently.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast