Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: mongoose Vinson

mtbr member
    I got one of the cheapest ones on ebay, looks like a match. I'll try this weekend and post a link if its a go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    So it looks like the bud fits all around sorry it took so long guys this week sucked, thanks for your patience. There is no rub in the big cog and little chainring but I'll have to say it's pretty close maybe two millimeters
    Here. Not saying it won't fit in the frame, it's the chain rub that scares me. If you think they'll fit fine, I'll be picking some up. I'd love to try a 5" tire, I've only ever ridden 4. But I've never been that close to the chain before.

FWIW, I just bought the bike and some extras, but not tires yet

mtbr member
    Yes, when you look at that pic it's enough clearance I'd run it, but I can see how it would make some uncomfortable. You really do need the 22x32 lowest gearing (at least I do*) and that will be especially true with the larger diameter tire/wheel combo making your effective gearing taller. So if you're going to 260mm bead to bead tires (currently Bud, Lou, Snowshoe XL) at least consider the fact you might need to lose the 12t ring in back and slide everything over or do some other drivetrain change to get additional clearance if you have issues with mud, or go tubeless and the tire grows, or you run really low pressures and the flex of the tire causes tire/chain interference... etc. But compared to most bikes this tire situation isn't a big deal. It's not like you are cutting off tread blocks, losing the front granny or anything to make it work.

Also, consider you options in "5 inch tires" and go down one rung

260mm bead to bead (Bud, Lou, Snowshoe XL)
    245mm bead to bead (Big Fat Larry, Dillinger 5, Bulldozer, Kenda Juggernaut 4.5**)
    240mm (Spec Ground Controls, SnowShoe 4.5/4.7)

I will say my 235mm Floaters have so much room it's a non issue, I can't imagine a 245mm tire being even close.

* Actually I'm converting over to 9 speed this weekend to get 28-32-36t cassette in back. That's why I'll have a chance to test my 99 cent replacement hanger and let people know if it's a fit.... and also how the stock front/rear dearailleur do with a 9 speed chain.... and hopefully how much better this bike looks with the useless big ring removed from the crank.

** Not available until 3/5/2015 but looks awesome. 5mm/6mm tread blocks on a large volume tire for under 70 bucks. Wire bead is a downer, but for me weight isn't a critical factor on this bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hmmm... Looks like the Surly charts say that BFL measures out 7mm narrower at the casing than Lou (114 vs 121). That'd give me an extra 3.5mm clearance at the chain which should probably be plenty.

I was going to go tubeless, but I've never measured my tires before and after. How much width would that add?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Okay, I finally finished the drivetrain conversion to 10x. With the Bulldozer and stock 3x8 drivetrain I had plenty of chain clearance. The Bulldozers measure 115mm at the casing and 111.5mm at the knobs on the stock 100mm rims at 15psi.

I converted the rear by using a SRAM PG1030 11-36 cassette and SRAM X9 RD, and switched to a SRAM X5 shifter. All of these parts came off my summer commuter.

I could not get the Alivio 8 speed FD to shift the way I wanted with a 10 speed chain, no matter how much I tweaked the cage width and messed with the adjustments. I picked up a 3x10 Shimano Deore XT E-type FD and tried it. This frame does not have the additional mounting tab/boss for an E-type FD. The way Mongoose does it with the stock drivetrain is with a slot cut in the BB shell to prevent rotation of the FD and the Alivio E-type bracket is pretty stout. The XT bracket was flimsy and moved around way too much. I was unable to get shifting consistent. I returned the XT FD and picked up a Problem Solvers direct mount bracket. I had a SRAM 3x10 X7 direct mount FD laying around, so I finished the job last night.

The stock E-type FD setup essentially adds 0.200" of crank spacers to the drive side. With the direct FD mount bracket to can't use any spacers or you will not have enough travel in the FD to get into the big ring. So after trying many different combinations and taking the cranks and BB out a dozen or more times I did get everything working very smoothly. I had to remove all spacers from the drive side. Now with the chain in the 22-36 gear combination I have almost zero clearance between the chain and the Bulldozer at 15psi on the stock wheels. In all other gear combinations the clearance is adequate. The chain is a SRAM PC1031.

If you have no intention of using the big ring, then you can put 0.200” worth of spacers on the drive side and adjust the limits of the FD accordingly. I tested this out just in case I decide to lose the 40T and put a bashguard on in the future. There was plenty of chain clearance.

I changed out the cockpit a little by switching my handlebars and brake levers. I went with Velo Orange Casey’s Crazy bars, SPANK grips and Deda bartape. The Avid Speed Dial levers and bars again came off my summer commuter and have worked flawlessly with Avid BB7s before. The braking performance has improved greatly with the new levers. My next braking upgrade will be new cables. In fact, one of the first upgrades I would recommend for this bike is to replace all of the cables(shifter and brakes) for “good” ones. At $3-$4 a piece they are inexpensive and make a real impact on performance.

I also added a pdw Mud Shovel front fender and a Topeak rear fender. The rear braze-ons are in the wrong location for adding a rack with the disc brake caliper. I used a Toba Reid rear rack and stretched it out enough to clear the tire, then used a couple rubber coated clamps on the seatstays. For the front I used a regular old hose clamp to attach to the seatpost.

I still have to find an appropriate saddle and frame bag for long distance adventure epic rides(and a way to keep my toes warm).

I plan on racing this weekend in Door County, so I’ll give a real world performance report next week.

mtbr member
    You really shouldn't be considering the BFL and Lou together, they are night and day in application. If you want a slightly narrower tire with the traction of a Lou get a Bulldozer instead. If you want a big easy rolling tire that isn't full of traction that's the BFL, but the Lou and Bulldozer are going to have more traction and more rolling resistance. If you want to stay Surly at least consider waiting for the Big Fat Knard, though I'm not sure how close that is.

I think there is a bit of extra stretch in a tubeless, but another concern is that when the tire flexes outward where it hits the ground this bulge goes up to the lower point of tire/chain interference. Keep in mind Vinson (and Badger Fattywompus with what looks like the same rims) tubelessness isn't a perfected science.

We're kinda running out of winter here. If you have time another option would be to buy your 5" front tire, fit it in back and decide from there.

Slowride I think has a better plan than I do. Get whatever tires you want, if you need more chainline clearance take the BB out and add a spacer in. I don't see why any 68/73mm BB spacer woudln't fit right in, and one spacer/one mm at a time you can move the whole drivetrain over. Having had my BB out when I stripped the frame there are plenty of threads but only one spacer as part of the front derailleur bracket. Sadly there is not a non-drive spacer to just slide over, you'll have to buy one, though any standard ebay spacer I think would work.

With the 40 tooth chainring so unnecessary I might consider this just to straighten out my chainline on the mainly used chainrings. I did 24 miles last Friday entirely on the 22t ring, seems that should have the "best" chainline possible.

Light freak
    subscribed to this thread

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    bepperb,

I'm not wanting to run the Lou and Larry together. I'm just using the Lou on this thread as a reference.

I'll be doing a lot of mixed pavement riding along with dirt, but would still like to run the 5" tires if possible. Since the Larry's are an easy rolling tire, that's what I'm wanting to run both front and rear.

mtbr member
    The larry's would probably be awesome for that use. There aren't a lot of really big not-super-aggressive tread tires. You might also look at these, if you can get them. Or the big knard when it comes out.

Chaoyang/FatB 4.9 Initial Impressions/Review

Best part with the BFL is you can probaby find a used set if you want. And they look and measure a lot smaller than a Lou, they will just fit right on the Vinson with no mods at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Rock on! Found some BFL Ultralights that were takeoffs at 2 for the price of 1. Super excited about this bike! Good thought on using shims to space out the chain line a bit, but sounds like it won't be necessary.

So far I've also got some grips, saddle, pedals, and tubeless bits (I know, I know), and one of those Ibera frame bags.

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    Got mine last night, did the coupon stacking for $430 at SA. Removed the dork ring, reflectors, bars, stem, seat and post, extraneous stickers and brakes. Replaced with a carbon bar, 50mm stem, avid bb7 and fr5 levers, waiting on seat post adapter for carbon post and saddle. Derailleurs were not even in the ballpark of being setup and the dropouts on the front fork are far too thin to be made of aluminum. We'll see how it feels then I'll likely replace the fork.
    Disappointed in the fork quality and straight headtube, also the oddball bcd on the crank, would have been nice to throw a nw chainring on there from the parts bin and lose some more unnecessary bulk. Wheel are pretty light considering the tubes in them and spin true enough for service out of the box. I'll post some pics once I get that post adapter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    weights of some stock parts

Rear wheel complete with reflectors and rotor no dork disk - 3980g
    Front wheel complete with reflectors and rotor - 3800g

Rear rim with reflector and rotor - 2170g
    Rear tube - 390g
    Rear VeeRubber Mission Command 26x4.0 72tpi - 1410g

Front rim with reflector and rotor - 1950g
    Front tube - 405g
    Front VeeRubber Mission Command 26x4.0 72tpi - 1440g

dork disk - 20g
    8speed cassette - 355g
    Brake lever - 95g ea
    handlebar - 350g

Light freak
    Took delivery of mine last right and put it right together. Took it out for its maiden voyage this morning before work

mongoose Vinson-mongoose-fat-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I really would like to change out the crank. But another alternative is a blackspire 96mm narrow wide. Not cheap though.

http://http://www.blackspire.com/SNA...BCD-Chainrings

SRAM X-5s and Raceface Rides are all over for ~$120. The question is is the chainline as most of these were designed for 170mm hubs. I measured the stays and they are about 7" at it looks like the x-5s might barely work with a q factor of 177.5 and a single ring mounted on the outer.

First Look ? SRAM X5 Fat-bike Crankset | FAT-BIKE.COM

In fact it looks like maybe, just maybe a raceface ride exi 170 might work with a single ring. Maybe a cool blue wolftooth 140/30T run reverse for a wider chainline.

Widest Q-Factor crank options? (To avoid chainstay clearance issue)

Then again dropping another $170 on this bike is beginning to seem dumb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

WolfTooth

Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    I really would like to change out the crank. But another alternative is a blackspire 96mm narrow wide. Not cheap though.

http://http://www.blackspire.com/SNA...BCD-Chainrings

SRAM X-5s and Raceface Rides are all over for ~$120. The question is is the chainline as most of these were designed for 170mm hubs. I measured the stays and they are about 7" at it looks like the x-5s might barely work with a q factor of 177.5 and a single ring mounted on the outer.

First Look ? SRAM X5 Fat-bike Crankset | FAT-BIKE.COM

In fact it looks like maybe, just maybe a raceface ride exi 170 might work with a single ring. Maybe a cool blue wolftooth 140/30T run reverse for a wider chainline.

Widest Q-Factor crank options? (To avoid chainstay clearance issue)

Then again dropping another $170 on this bike is beginning to seem dumb.
    This is an option too correct? Can someone confirm the out BCD is 96 and the middle is 64?

96 mm BCD Chainrings for Shimano M9000 ? wolftoothcomponents.com

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    I thought it measured 94bcd, but I will double check when I get home tonight if no one else can before then. All my spare chainrings are 104 which is why I said oddball size, but the x01 and FSA kforce use 94 also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Looks like I got one of the last or THE last Vinson from Sports Authority (for my own reasons I hate getting the last product in stock).

Anyone had any problems with how these are shipped? I get mine on Monday but don't think I'll be able to be there to when they deliver. Nervous that the box will be destroyed (I loathe UPS).

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Looks like I got one of the last or THE last Vinson from Sports Authority (for my own reasons I hate getting the last product in stock).

Anyone had any problems with how these are shipped? I get mine on Monday but don't think I'll be able to be there to when they deliver. Nervous that the box will be destroyed (I loathe UPS).
    Mine was pretty much perfect which was a rare occurrence, considering it is the size of 3 regular bike boxes side by side. I worked for UPS for 5 years so I can tell you that the sort system in the distribution centers will not handle a box this large, it has to be hand unloaded and transported within the hub on a small tram and because they usually travel alongside farm implements and other "irregular" objects it is rare for a box to make it through without at least one hole in it. be ready to cut a bunch of zip ties, Pacific zip ties everything together inside the box.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the info. Hope I didn't offend with my UPS comment, I just haven't had a ton of luck with them (the Post Office is even worse, though).

I'm super stoked.

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    None taken, I've had UPS maul some of my packages too, luckily they were insured and the claims process, though slow, paid off the full value of the insured amount plus s/h charge. I've been in a Fedex hub and it was pretty much the same drill. I can't imagine the post office being much different.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    What else are you guys having to do to get these rideable? I assume checking/packing hubs, adjusting derailers (like CruJonez mentioned). What else?

I've got a Moto road bike that really only needed the hubs adjusted, derailers adjusted, and spokes checked. Other than that it seemed to be in pretty good shape. I'd assume this'll be a similar situation?

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    I had to shorten the chain also, it was way too slack on the granny/small combo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Has anyone been able to resolve the excessive noise of the Mission tires? If so, what steps did you take?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutter-ike View Post
    Has anyone been able to resolve the excessive noise of the Mission tires? If so, what steps did you take?
    Full tire-ectomy. Though the Floaters are much louder on pavement so that might not help you. But my missions only squeaked under 10psi, and then only for the first minute or two. Same tubes in the floaters make no squeak noise even down to 6psi.

Right out of the box the derailleurs will be way off. Everything seems to have been greased fine, though I had to rebuild my rear hub after 200 miles due to mud in one side. Otherwise pretty much ready to ride after assembly.

mtbr member
    My Vinson will be arriving Monday, purchased from Sports Authority during that killer promo. I got hit with state tax as I live in NY where we have retail locations. Total was just over $460.00 shipped to my door. Was such a good price that .... I have a Lou and Bud arriving Tuesday with some 24" Qtubes with removable cores to set up tubeless. Got a 15% off promo + free ship for that stuff on the forums here for Jenson. I have tons of extra cockpit parts, pedals, and brakes I've accumulated for over 20 years laying in crates I'll swap in to suit my needs. I'll post a pic when she's all fit.

Thanks for all the info !

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My attempt to setup tubeless via split tube was a failure. The HuDus are just too loose. I think filling the central channel with some kind of foam might help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Getting mine on Monday as well. Super stoked even though it's going to have to sit in it's box for a day or two waiting for parts.

Probably the most prominent thing on my list of things to do is to set up my BFL's ghetto tubeless. I've done Floaters on Holey Rolling Darryl's and it was the easiest setup I've ever done. Crossing my fingers that the wheels won't fight me.

I've got lots of plans for this bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    My attempt to setup tubeless via split tube was a failure. The HuDus are just too loose. I think filling the central channel with some kind of foam might help.
    This will be my back up attempt....
    How to set up a fat bike tubeless | Dirt Rag

and if that fails I will prob take an approach that is a hybrid of the split tube/foam gutter methods. I will not accept failure LOL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    post-race photo-op

my weak legs were happy to have the 4 extra teeth in the rear. The tires worked well. I only went down once and it rider error. I only failed to get up one steep climb, and again it was rider error and mismanagement of momentum. The bike performed well, the engine did not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-0207151131a.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-0207151131.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-0207151130.jpg  

mtbr member
    Unfortunately the 99 cent hanger is not a perfect fit. Going up to the five dollar range on ebay gives a lot of similar options, not sure I'll try again soon.

mongoose Vinson-img_20150207_185351%5B3%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Got my Vinson today. Box was actually in great shape, and everything looks to be pretty much fine. One little scuff on one of the rear dropouts, but who cares?

Spent about an hour unpacking the bike and putting everything together (yeah, I'm slow). Both brakes needed some adjustment, and like a dope I unscrewed the wrong side on my front caliper which set me back a few minutes.

Rear derailer seems to be spot on on mine. Front, not so much.

Biggest issue I've noticed is that out of the box the headset felt a bit tight. I've messed around adjusting it and it's better than it was

I also just ordered a 27.2 - 30.6 seat post shim and a 400mm seat post. The current one is right at the minimum mark and I'd rather have a bit more post in the bike.

Overall so far I'm pretty happy with it. The paint looks much better in person and I don't mind the X4 stuff. After I get everything adjusted on it I'll take it for a ride and see how it feels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-20150209_143106.jpg  

Last edited by Shinkers; 02-09-2015 at 07:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Does anyone know if it is still possible to buy this bike anywhere? It doesn't seem to show up anymore at MC sports, sports authority, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Www.Mongoose.com direct buy

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Maybe someone here has run into this. I asked in the mechanics forum, but I'm going to ask here too because you might know what I'm talking about .

My front derailer is rubbing on the chain when on my outer chain ring and highest 3 cogs in the back.

I've tried backing the high limit all the way off and it still won't travel far enough, even with the cable unhooked. I went out and looked again, and there is a metal point in there that is hitting the piece that the high and low screws touch. Hard to explain, but it would appear that the only way to get more clearance is to take a file to it or bend my cage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    it is going to. you shouldn't be cross-chaining that much. The middle ring should be able to use the whole cassette, but your big ring and granny ring will have some rub on the FD at the far opposite ends of the cassette.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    My bad, I worded that poorly. By 3 highest cogs in the back I meant my highest gears, so actually the 3 smallest cogs in the back. Incidentally, I can actually cross chain both inside and outside rings without noise.

So the combo I'm talking about is outer ring, and outside 3 cogs on the back.

I should add too that to get as much travel as possible, my cable is guitar string tight right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Are you getting excessive flex in the FD bracket? I had this issue when I tried to use an XT E-type FD. Our frame does not have the additional mounting bracket for a proper E-type application. Mongoose instead slots the BB shell and the Alivio FD bracket has a key that fits in the slot to prevent rotation, but nothing is provided to brace the bracket. Check to make sure the FD bracket in mounted to the outside of the BB with a spacer between it and the BB shell. Check to make sure the crank arm is fully seated. Back the H screw all the way out and see if there are any other places where the FD cable arm is hitting before you get full travel. Some FDs have limited travel designed into them and therefore are very sensitive to chainline.

mtbr member
    I think it's probably less likely the FD doesn't have enough range and more likely it's a mm or two too far inboard. How does the low speed limit screw look? I would pull the crank arm, grease and reinstall to see if it wasn't seated all the way, which might cause this. Perhaps the metal derailleur mount isn't parallel to the seat tube and is bent inboard. A spacer between the mount and the bb shell would be an easy fix, as would just getting rid of the outside chainring alltogether. If you can file something that is hitting the stop I'd do that before I tried bending the cage.

If you're really using these gears that's awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    I think it's probably less likely the FD doesn't have enough range and more likely it's a mm or two too far inboard. How does the low speed limit screw look? I would pull the crank arm, grease and reinstall to see if it wasn't seated all the way, which might cause this. Perhaps the metal derailleur mount isn't parallel to the seat tube and is bent inboard. A spacer between the mount and the bb shell would be an easy fix, as would just getting rid of the outside chainring alltogether. If you can file something that is hitting the stop I'd do that before I tried bending the cage.

If you're really using these gears that's awesome.
    I doubt I will use all of these gears but it's nice to know I have my full range.

I'll try pulling the crank and if that doesn't work I'll get the file out.

here's a picture of where it's hitting. Low limit isn't touching it. Is it okay for my cable to be as tight as it is?

Before posting this I did yank on the cage a bit but it dint feel like it was going anywhere. Doesn't look bent yet anyway...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-20150211_073503.jpg  

mtbr member

Other options

Quote Originally Posted by ShredMaster View Post
    This will be my back up attempt....
    How to set up a fat bike tubeless | Dirt Rag

and if that fails I will prob take an approach that is a hybrid of the split tube/foam gutter methods. I will not accept failure LOL.
    Q-tubes make the weight a non issue. If you are not fighting thorns, a light tube will do you well and simplify matters
    Cheers,
    FGO

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would be my guess that this is as a mechanic once told me the manufacturer "trying to put ten pounds of nails into a 5 pound bag", my limited understanding is that using a triple on a fat bike is hard, using a triple on a 190mm spaced fat bike is probably harder. I have waved the white flag on trying to use the big ring, and if they didn't have the dumb 96mm BCD, I'd already have a bash on there.

But it's likely you'll have to run the outer limit screw out all the way.

As an aside, I would really love to replace the crankset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well and honestly I still have full use of the first half of my cassette so I'm really not super concerned because in reality I probably won't use the whole range. It'd just be nice to have the option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

mongoose Vinson

The cable should be snug but not tight. Too tight of a cable won't allow enough movement. Try taking the chain off and release the cable, then move the der. by hand to check clearance.

Pedaling

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I didn't take the chain off but I unhooked the cable and shifted the chain over to the outer ring and checked clearance by hand. That little finger is hitting before I can move it out enough.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Guzzi Obrian View Post
    Q-tubes make the weight a non issue. If you are not fighting thorns, a light tube will do you well and simplify matters...
    Weight isn't the reason for going tubeless. But depending on how you do it, it can be a side benefit.

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    in adjusting the fd I had to do a full setup, that included, shifter in loose position, barrel screwed all the way in, align derailleur to chainrings, set base cable tension, adjust high and low stops, and fine tune cable tension using barrel adjuster, it was way out of the proper range out of the box, same was true with the rd and backstop screw adjustment. I would highly recommend the same procedure for any new bike setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Okay, so here's what I ended up doing:

I pulled the crank and greased the taper and bolt and put it back on. I tightened it as much as I could with my allen wrench, and as far as I can tell, it was in about the same spot.

So I did end up getting my file out. In my above picture, I filed the little finger coming off of the pivot with the spring right in the middle of the picture. I also filed a bit where the high limit screw hits. I can't imagine I did enough to cause any problems down the road, but now I'm getting only minor rub in my highest gear. All others are rub free and I can live with the little bit I have in high since the likelihood of me ever being that high are slim.

So far I'm happy with how it's functioning now, and like I said, don't think I've done too much harm.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Exact same thing is happening for me. With the chain off I still could not pull the Front Derailleur out any further - even with the limit screw all the way out. The big ring works...it just rubs through the entire range of gears which is slightly annoying.

Okay, so here's what I ended up doing:

I pulled the crank and greased the taper and bolt and put it back on. I tightened it as much as I could with my allen wrench, and as far as I can tell, it was in about the same spot.

So I did end up getting my file out. In my above picture, I filed the little finger coming off of the pivot with the spring right in the middle of the picture. I also filed a bit where the high limit screw hits. I can't imagine I did enough to cause any problems down the road, but now I'm getting only minor rub in my highest gear. All others are rub free and I can live with the little bit I have in high since the likelihood of me ever being that high are slim.

So far I'm happy with how it's functioning now, and like I said, don't think I've done too much harm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Glad to know I'm not the only one!

mtbr member
    Do I understand correctly that Sports Authority and Dick's no longer sell this bike?

Mongoose direct is now the only way to get it?

Thanks
    CJ

SW Florida

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    no, they will get them back in stock.
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I installed a new headset last night (who knows why) the original does not use cartridge bearings. Plus the new one is blue. Be advised, removing the old crown race might require a bit of dremel work. The local bike shop couldn't do it with the park tool. I also installed a newer x-9 nine speed derailleur and tuned the front derailleur for the 22 and 30 rings, I have no use for a 40t ring on anything but a commuter or road bike.

I'm going to use it this way for a bit until I figure out what gearing a want to use, then maybe I'll put some new cranks on (single ring?). Right now I have about $850 into this bike. You could get a a decent (but not great) bikes direct Boris or something like that, but by the time you get decent tires on there you'd be over $1k for sure. I could change out the crank and still come in (barely) under $1K.

Anyone have a guess on how much the stock crank/bottom bracket weighs?

mtbr member
    When I stripped my frame I was also unable to remove the old race so I just masked it off.

When I pulled the BB I remember it felt insanely heavy, though I believe it only weighed 380 grams. I remember it definitely wasn't much if any upgrade to buy the vp-bc63 (360 grams), though if my BB failed tomorrow that would be a quick and easy replacement for only 20 bucks, just not into paying a buck a gram on a fat bike.

I'm at about 500bike plus 110tires minus 60soldtires plus 70 9speed/36tooth conversion or 620. That doesn't include 10new grips, 20frame bag or 15aircraft stripper, but even then easily under 700. I've definitely considered if I should have just spent more out the gate, but the most meaningful upgrades would be through axles and better hubs, and that doesn't happen until 1000 minimum. Actually 8 speed drivetrain would have been fine for me it I wasn't doing the Birkie, for that race alone going from 22-26-32 to 24-28-32-26 in back was worth the 70 bucks.

When you compare this bike to other fat bikes after a few upgrades you might question the value. But..... When you compare it to not having a fat bike, or riding even a very nice 29er/MTB on snow this is an amazing value.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    no, they will get them back in stock.
    Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is that in checking both websites, no vinson was even shown........
    CJ

SW Florida

mtbr member
    Now Mongoose doesn't show any in stock. Mongoose | MTB Bikes, Mountain Bikes

I'm really wanting one of these too.

My local Walmart has a Dolomite in stock, with a no name V tread looking tire on it that looks it might be fast rolling, not the stock tire. I had bad luck with the first two Dolomites I bought from Walmart with the frames being bent, don't know if I want to try a third time. Much rather have the Vinson.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker
    2016 Surly Ogre (Blacktacular)

mtbr member
    I believe the Vinson is sold out everywhere. I think they will be releasing the Vargus next before new stock of Vinson arrive off of freight.

I'm in the process of converting to 1x8 and going tubeless with my Bud and Lou.
    I'll let you all know how it goes.

mtbr member
    I don't think Mongoose expected the Vinson to sell so well. I hope they keep that white if they do build more. I'll keep an eye on the 4-sell section for this Fatty.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    but wont be out for a long time, port delays will determine when this ones back in
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    but wont be out for a long time, port delays will determine when this ones back in
    When will we see the Mongoose Argus available in the US? It appears to be available in all the other markets on the mongoose website. USA is the only market without the Argus.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    And I'm done will everything I'm gonna do right now. I do have a frame bag but the one I received was damaged so I'm waiting for that, but other than that it's finished.

Got the BFL's on tonight, no clearance issues at all. Total tire width was maybe half an inch wider than the Mission's bead to bead.

I really like the bike overall. My only complaint would be the triple on the front. Even with the filing I did, my outer ring has more range, but due to the high tension my middle ring rubs slightly on my largest 2 cogs. Seems like you gotta pick your poison.

Anyway, here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-20150213_182511.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Finally getting around to doing additional upgrades on my Vinson. A crank for a 170 rear will not work without extra spacers on the non drive side. Which then does not leave a large contact area for the crank arm to attach. I used a 190 rear spaced crank which gives proper clearance. Would post some pics but not sure how?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbauer View Post
    Finally getting around to doing additional upgrades on my Vinson. A crank for a 170 rear will not work without extra spacers on the non drive side. Which then does not leave a large contact area for the crank arm to attach. I used a 190 rear spaced crank which gives proper clearance. Would post some pics but not sure how?
    If you click on Go Advance and scroll down on the page a little you will see a little tab that says upload images. It's a little complicated on this site but you can figure it out from there.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Finally weighed mine. 40.6# with gorilla taped and tubed Bulldozers, fenders, rack, bag, lights, VO bars, SPD pedals, etc...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Almost finished with some upgrades...a few things I could use help on:

*Has anybody found a replacement derailleur hanger? I like to carry one for each bike.

*Has anybody successfully performed a tubeless conversion on these rims - if so, which tires worked?

*Is it really worth the headache of seating / refilling to have tubeless? I can understand not wanting to change a flat in the cold but the conversion sounds like a giant PITA...I've heard it's worth the compliance on a fat bike. If it's worth the hassle I'll try it, otherwise I may just pump sealant into the tubes and replace them twice a year.

*If I upgrade the tires, does anybody recommend a good 'all conditions' tire? I was considering a set of Bulldozers or maybe Snowshoe 4.5. On-one floaters and Origin8 Devist-8er UL 4.0 can be found cheap but I'm not so sure how they'd do in snow.

*Should I avoid another 4" tire on the 100mm rims and go with 4.5 - 4.8 to avoid self steer?

*I see the seatpost is 30.4 ...has anyone tried a 30.6 without it being too tight? I noticed one comment stating that it didn't work and read elsewhere that it did.

Aside from this I've done the following upgrades because I had the parts available for dirt cheap (used, of course).

-Hayes MAG hydraulic disc (big improvement over stock brakes).
    (I did have to use curved washers to angle the brake...not sure if the fork has a crooked mount, or if this is normal for 'IS Mount'
    -Nashbar stem (almost 200 grams lighter than stock) but the stock bars seem nice
    -SRAM 9.0 grip shifters (these proved very nice with thick gloves / mits - didn't have to fumble around with fingers)
    -Ergon grips - cut them shorter to match up with grip shifters.
    -SRAM 9.0 rear derailleur
    -9 spd chain / cassette
    -Forte Pro SL saddle
    -So far left the stock 8 speed front derailleur and crankset and it seems to work fine.

Bike is currently weighing in at 34lbs 9oz

Light freak
    I am also totally digging this bike. I put a 60mm stem on it last night and moved the seat back a little. It seems to really have helped fit the bike better to me. Have not been offoad with it yet since the modifications. Road 12 miles with 1000 ft of elevation gain yesterday morning.

skota23 - you have "Mongoose product development" in your signature so it looks like you are our man for info . Can you tell us what hanger type the Vinson uses and also what brake pads can be used for replacements? If someone else knows, please chime in. I can not find any information on JAK brakes. They seem to work good, just trying to be prepared.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    ztbishop,

My seatpost was marked 30.6 and I thought I recalled reading someone wanted to try a 30.9 and it didn't work.

Either way I used a shim and a 27.2 because I needed a longer one and it worked fine.

I tried to go tubeless with my BFL's and after seeing the hook on these rims and how loose the Larry's were, it wasn't worth the effort to me to pursue it. I put sealant in the tubes and put them back in.

After riding the bike around, despite my creative filing, I'm finding that as I kind of suspected, with my FD cable tension as high as it is to clear on the outer ring, my low end is suffering on the other rings. I'm gonna loosen it up and live with it. I know the easiest solution is to just put a spacer on it but I'm too lazy right now.

mtbr member
    We spent 5 hours today attempting to set up Bud and Lou tubeless, and I tried every possible way of going tubeless. Split tube, gorilla tape, lighter fluid and flame combustion technique (first time for that one hahaha), and high density foam weather stripping 1/8" away from rim sidewall to lock bead in place. The foam weather stripping was the closest we got to the bead setting up but we could not get enough air into the tires with a floor pump. We gave up eventually to ride before dark so we will continue again with a compressor next time.

Upgrades...
    4.8 Bud and Lou rubber
    ControlTech 45mm stem
    ControlTech 760mm riser bar with 30mm rise
    ControlTech 27.2mm seat post with Cane Creek shim
    Fixation low profile composite platform pedals
    Easton lock on grips

I ditched the stock rim strip for some neon orange duck tape that ties in the paint and parts better.

Hit a minor road block trying to go 1x8 so I have it as a 2x8 for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Okay, here's another question for you guys. Finally got my Vinson on some dirt today (yeah it was only in my back yard) and noticed that when I'm pedaling hard (like all out) I'm getting some creaking/clicking. Cranks are tight and both QR's are tight.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    I tried to read through the thread for this but how much lower weight with this frame can you get with upgraded parts? My tank Dolo is 40 but having a budget 30 lb fatty would be a game changer for me. I could eliminate two current bikes I own

mtbr member
    A few points. The frame weighs less than 5 lbs. Mine stock weighed 36. The sky is the limit for weight, depending on what you wanted to spend. 30lbs isn't out of reach, though the stock wheelset might make that tough and another big place to save weight would be the crankset which wouldn't be cheap either. Crankset~wise, though, you could basically save a full pound by going to a hollow crank if you could find a used 190 on ebay it might not cost that much.

Have not found replacement brake pads. Though they do look like some Shimano XT pads after my 99 cent hanger didn't work I'm not ready to roll the dice again for a bit.

Floaters are great in snow, if you can get them though Planet X USA hasn't had them in black in stock for a couple weeks. The colored ones weigh ~400g more so I wouldn't recommend that route. From a "Vinson Budget Perspective" I'd also recommend the 60tpi Nates, even though they are small. Or wait a couple weeks for the Juggernaut 4.5. Self steer won't be helped by a wider tire, I'm not sure where you got that. It does't bother me with the Floaters. With the Missions under 10psi it was odd feeling but something I could live with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Okay, here's another question for you guys. Finally got my Vinson on some dirt today (yeah it was only in my back yard) and noticed that when I'm pedaling hard (like all out) I'm getting some creaking/clicking. Cranks are tight and both QR's are tight.

Any ideas?
    For anyone who hasn't yet, check your bottom bracket cups. My non drive side cup was pretty loose, so I tightened it up and rode it around. The sound is now gone.

I love this bike.

mtbr member
    This bike is a blast. So stoked on finally owning a fatty. Not sure how the stock tires would've performed on the snow drifts and dune ridges but Bud and Lou just ate up everything I put in front of them today. The bike is fairly light for what it is and I find it to be very responsive under my input. I set mine up with a tight cockpit and wide bars like all my trail bikes and that most definitely attributes to that feeling but the geometry feels good. I boosted it off a few snow drifts, rock ledges, and dune drops. All felt great. I'm able to pull the front end up with minimal effort so manuals and wheelie drops are a breeze. Can't wait for some more snow and some time on the trails.

mongoose Vinson-image.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    This bike is a blast. So stoked on finally owning a fatty. Not sure how the stock tires would've performed on the snow drifts and dune ridges but Bud and Lou just ate up everything I put in front of them today. The bike is fairly light for what it is and I find it to be very responsive under my input. I set mine up with a tight cockpit and wide bars like all my trail bikes and that most definitely attributes to that feeling but the geometry feels good. I boosted it off a few snow drifts, rock ledges, and dune drops. All felt great. I'm able to pull the front end up with minimal effort so manuals and wheelie drops are a breeze. Can't wait for some more snow and some time on the trails.
    that long beach ?
    lived in lb for 5 years and ab for 12

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Crank Upgrade

Here are pics of the crank clearance with a 190 rear spaced crank. Not sure about the chain line? Will know more when the front derailleur mount arrives and I can finish.
    [CENTER][/mongoose Vinson-img_0789.jpgmongoose Vinson-img_0791.jpgCENTER]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerko View Post
    that long beach ?
    lived in lb for 5 years and ab for 12
    Yes it is. East side of town.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just got a spacer for my bottom bracket, we'll see what it does for my FD situation.
    Last edited by Shinkers; 02-17-2015 at 03:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Okay so with spacer in hand, I took apart my BB to see what could be done. Turns out that the E type derailer still has the two prongs that are supposed to fit into the BB shell, and the stock spacer is cut to fit around those. Therefore, a normal spacer will not work because it blocks those 'prongs'.

However, once I got everything put back together, it turns out that now my FD clears. My guess would be that with as many times as I've had the crank off of the taper (3 or 4 now I think) it's finally deformed enough to push further onto the spindle. Probably not necessarily the best thing, but hey.

Of course, now that I have all the travel I need, I still don't have full range on my middle ring with enough cable tension to clear on the outer ring. So I split the difference and now I'm happy.

On a side now, I must already have a slow leak in one of the stock tubes as my pressure was low enough that I managed to hit my front rim a couple times riding over a brick pathway in my yard.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    On-One Floater (black) is now in stock in the US. I was thinking of getting a nice trail tire, and a snow tire set. But for the price it looks like it should be a great all-arounder. I might order the Q Tubes 2.4-2.7 light tubes but part of me is afraid of a typical flat turning into more of a blow-out with a stretched tube.

Moderator Moderator
    Why is it off the dick's web site? If it's out of stock, it would say so.

Light freak
    Probably just not sure when it is coming back in stock. I saw where they opened up San Francisco port again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ztbishop View Post
    On-One Floater (black) is now in stock in the US. I was thinking of getting a nice trail tire, and a snow tire set. But for the price it looks like it should be a great all-arounder. I might order the Q Tubes 2.4-2.7 light tubes but part of me is afraid of a typical flat turning into more of a blow-out with a stretched tube.
    You might get the floaters now, they will do great on a trail and do pretty good on snow for the short time that's letf this year, with the limitation more in volume than traction. By next winter there will be more high volume options, or you may find the floaters work pretty well year-round. Of course my floaters are new, I'm not sure how much tread I'll have left after a summer season and if that will diminish their snow performance.

mtbr member
    Fun little after work sesh in the fresh. Such a blast riding this thing.mongoose Vinson-image.jpgmongoose Vinson-image.jpgmongoose Vinson-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Fun little after work sesh in the fresh. Such a blast riding this thing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1370 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	966155Click image for larger version. 

Views:	3824 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	966158Click image for larger version. 

Views:	2132 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	966157

I'm so used to seeing fat bikes now that we have a couple that the tires look normal to me, then I see your bike and I'm like. "Wow that guys tires have some meat on em" Nice looking rig.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Any luck finding a derailleur hanger? Mine magically snapped in half and I had a nice cold hike back...I don't recall any sticks on the trail but I'd imagine something got sucked through the chain. I see nothing with Wheels Manufacturing. I guess I'll hope that Mongoose answers their phones / Emails next week.

mtbr member
    Thanks MoMikey... the rubber upgrade was a no brainer for me. The major selling point of the bike for me was the 190 rear hub and the 100mm wide rims. What other fatty can you shove a 5" tire in, on a stock 100mm wide rim for under $450? And although these wheels will never ever set up tubeless, they are actually not heavy and the free hub actually sounds nicer and has more engagement points than the hubs on my friends' pugs and muk. The Bud and Lou absolutely transformed the Vinson. Looks like a beast and it eats up what ever i put in front of it with these tires. Even with the rubber upgrade the bike cost under $700. Easily looks like it cost 3x that. I'm planning on riding this bike hard, hard like a trail bike. I hope it holds up. I'll be updating frequently.

Moderator Moderator
    Whaaaaat? The vinson at $800?

Vinson Fat Bike | MC Sports

Light freak
    AshevilleMtBiker - I have always seen it listed at MC sports of $799. Not sure if you noticed or not, they don't do internet sales - have to walk in and buy it.

ztbishop - Do you mean you just don't see a hanger listed for the Vinson? I am thinking that someone is going to have to take a good picture of the hanger and match it up to what is available for Mongoose. I can't imagine them creating a new hanger for the Vinson, but maybe. I am thinking it may be too new to list.

mtbr member
    ztbishop, I've IM'd you. For all the others in the world you might compare it to wheels mfg number 27. Or if you want to save some cash these aren't terribly hard to find on ebay, compare to 1 in ebay auction 171671947254

here:

Alloy Mountain Bike Rear Derailleur Hanger Dropout More Styles with Screws | eBay

Or 'B' on this one 151454132676 Alloy Bicycle Rear Derailleur Hanger Dropout w Bolts | eBay

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    Whaaaaat? The vinson at $800?
    As when some sellers, even Wallyworld, had the Dolomite at $350...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ztbishop View Post
    Any luck finding a derailleur hanger? Mine magically snapped in half and I had a nice cold hike back...I don't recall any sticks on the trail but I'd imagine something got sucked through the chain. I see nothing with Wheels Manufacturing. I guess I'll hope that Mongoose answers their phones / Emails next week.
    Call them on Monday or email them today, you part will likely show up Tuesday or Wednesday if they have it in stock. Pacific cycles has been pretty amazing when it comes to shipping out parts that have been damaged in shipping and or riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks MoMikey... the rubber upgrade was a no brainer for me. The major selling point of the bike for me was the 190 rear hub and the 100mm wide rims. What other fatty can you shove a 5" tire in, on a stock 100mm wide rim for under $450? And although these wheels will never ever set up tubeless, they are actually not heavy and the free hub actually sounds nicer and has more engagement points than the hubs on my friends' pugs and muk. The Bud and Lou absolutely transformed the Vinson. Looks like a beast and it eats up what ever i put in front of it with these tires. Even with the rubber upgrade the bike cost under $700. Easily looks like it cost 3x that. I'm planning on riding this bike hard, hard like a trail bike. I hope it holds up. I'll be updating frequently.

It does look like a high end bike with a lot of rubber. The one thing I was really happy about mongoose doing was using the 100mm rims on all their fat bikes. Pretty cool of them to sell cheap/entry fatties with the largest rim available, even if those of us with Dolos and Beasts have the heavier wheels. Agreed with the tubeless weight thing as well, between my floaters/qtubes/rim holes I think we lost about 10lbs per bike so there is no real need to go tubeless or even order new wheels now that I would only be saving another pound or two for a few hundred bucks at minimum. Also the aluminum wheels on the dolo have been stripped and after a polish last weekend they look as good as the day I stripped them, with about 5 months of VT winter in-between

mtbr member
    Regarding MC Sports pricing the bike at 799, I believe their website lists MSRP. It was that price online when I bought one in store for 500. Call first, not all stores carry bikes but they can search inventory and either tell you what stores have them or get one dropped at the store in a few weeks.

Of course, that's if they still have any available.

Light freak

Here is some info I found on the brakes/pads

mongoose Vinson-jak-7-brakes.jpg

mtbr member
    Scar that's an awesome find, replacement pads are cheap and easy to find then. That being said riding on snow I have almost no wear on mine. I suppose if you ride beaches you could go through these more quickly.

mtbr member
    Took the Vinson out on the trails yesterday. Bike felt great on twisty single track and also did well in the slower tech rocky sections. Let me just say that I was getting plenty of looks in regards to the name on my bike on the trails today. Some were blatantly judgmental, some were blatantly disrespectful. Let me also just say that I had no problem burning them on the trail while they watched in shock on their $3000+ carbon dream fatties, as well as the other more common bikes in the $1800+ range. Had a grin from ear to ear the whole ride.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ShredMaster; 02-22-2015 at 02:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Thinking about buying on of these. Local places have them on "closeout" for 550 (MC Sports). Not as good as black friday, but still not bad for a usable bike.

I noticed the FD mounting is kind of different from anything I have seen before. How is it working for you owners? Any problems?

thanks

mtbr member
    I also see that the Vinson is off the mongoose usa website. I wonder why?

-c

mtbr member
    My front derailleur has always worked fine. It was fine in the stock configuration. I changed to 3x9 with a narrower 9 speed chain and it worked fine. Now I've gotten rid of the large chainring and turned the high limit screw almost all the way in and it works fine that way. Someone went with a 10 speed and reported the even narrower 10 speed chain didn't shift well up front.

E type derailleurs are nothing new, though I think there are also some problem solver products that would let you use other types. Not sure why you'd want to change it out unless you went 10 speed. IMO rear derailleur performance varies greatly and you get what you pay for. Every front derailleur I've ever had seems to work the same. I've never had one I couldn't get working and I've never had one where I thought it worked really well.

I'm not sure what's up with availability, if these will only sell in non-US markets where Mongoose sells higher end stuff, or if it's just a supply problem. I'm glad I didn't wait for an Argus, that's for sure. Hopefully these aren't considered a flop. While fat-bikes are a winter seller I'm not sure department store bike shoppers are really looking for bikes this time of year. It's only been out since Oct/Nov, I would think they wouldn't pull the plug before a summer selling season.

Light freak
    I was a little worried on the front derailleur mounting also but have had no issues with. I would say if you can get your hands on one of these - GET IT!

Had one very minor issue the other day. It seemed like my rear brake was dragging more and more as the ride went on. I found that there is a screw in the brake lever that limits lever travel. It was working its way inward and pulling tension on the brake cable. I went ahead and just removed it. Went to do the same to the other side and there wasn't even a screw in that lever

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I too was worried about the FD style since I've never had an E type. Like the others though, I really haven't had a problem with it despite my early concerns.

Still love this bike. Need to get it out!

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast