MC sports has them black friday priced in today's flyer, $450
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    And they posted it on their website:

Vinson Fat Bike | MC Sports

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So I have ordered new tires for the Vinson. I ordered a surly bud for the front and a vee rubber bulldozer for the rear. I will let you know how it works out. The missions just are not cutting it for Michigan weather and needed more grip . No snow right now but lots of wet and frozen leaves

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Upset

The fork is not supposed to be tweaked like this, correct?mongoose Vinson-vinsonfork.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I would say not! Wowser.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I gave up waiting for Dick's to have a decent sale on the Vinson, so I drove 2 hours to a MC sports and picked one up for $450. The quality is so much better than the Dolomite, it has real bike components instead of cheap steal crap. I got my Surly Lous on, adjusted the brakes, re-lubed the chain, and removed all the warning stickers, other than the twisted fork issue above, it's ready to hit the trails when they freeze back up.

Hopefully Pacific will send me a new fork soon, because it's messing up the alignment of the disc brake and it just looks weird. I'm amazed somebody put that together at the store and said it was ok, there's no why you can't notice it when aligning the handlebars.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all your posts & pics, x3speed! Looks great! Something even some of your students might be able to afford!

mtbr member
    Happy to help. Taptalk app helps too. My Dad loves the bike. Its actually made some of my not so athletic friends curious.
    2014 Singular Gryphon
    2013 C-Dale F29 Alloy 2, CAAD10 105
    2005 Jamis Dakar XC Expert
    2014 Framed Minn. 3.0 Bluto

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: mongoose Vinson

New meats on the bike bud front bulldozer rearmongoose Vinson-uploadfromtaptalk1419447714629.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So I put a few miles on the Vinson this morning wet sloppy cold mud. The bud in the front and bulldozer in the rear have transformed this bike . I have so much more confidence in the corners and technical stuff. No self steer at 9 psi. I am 230 with gear. If your still on the stock tires do yourself a favor and upgrade your tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Got to second what aarontriton said. Definitely a different bike with different tires. This is my first fat bike so I wasn't sure about the "self-steer" phenomenon, but the bike just felt squirmy with the stock tires. New treads, waaay better feel. FWIW, I went with Dillinger 4's front and rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Appreciate this forum so much. Hope to pick up a Vinson tomorrow morning. (Asked a manager to hold one a week ago. MC Sports location close to family holiday spot...400 MI from home ) Excited to get some saddle time. Great info and impressions/opinions/experience here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks to all that have posted info about the Vinson, it helped me make an educated decision and order mine from ***** Sporting Goods. Got it all put together this am. As so many post have stated, pictures do not do this rig justice, it looks so much better in the flesh! I've got a few parts ordered so it will fit me better, purely personal preference, shorter stem, taller bars, fatter grips. Getting better tires in a few weeks too. Will post some pics when it's all doctored up. 🚲

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyTrak View Post
    Thanks to all that have posted info about the Vinson, it helped me make an educated decision and order mine from ***** Sporting Goods. Got it all put together this am. As so many post have stated, pictures do not do this rig justice, it looks so much better in the flesh! I've got a few parts ordered so it will fit me better, purely personal preference, shorter stem, taller bars, fatter grips. Getting better tires in a few weeks too. Will post some pics when it's all doctored up. 🚲
    Smart decision on tire upgrade. Rode 16 miles today with the bud on front and bulldozer back and the bike is sooooo much better rides better zero self steer and less rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    Smart decision on tire upgrade. Rode 16 miles today with the bud on front and bulldozer back and the bike is sooooo much better rides better zero self steer and less rolling resistance.

Thanks for the heads up. Your rig looks right. For sure the stock tires are kind of a handful where I went riding today. Looking forward to getting news bits mounted up. Just got shipping conf. a few minutes ago so it should be a few days not weeks before it all gets sorted out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyTrak View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Your rig looks right. For sure the stock tires are kind of a handful where I went riding today. Looking forward to getting news bits mounted up. Just got shipping conf. a few minutes ago so it should be a few days not weeks before it all gets sorted out.
    Nice I changed my stem and ordered new grips. This bike is nice but can be great with a few upgrades.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mongoose Vinson-uploadfromtaptalk1419649454574.jpgpicture from today. This bike is a blast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I already own a Motobecane FB4 Comp that received several upgrades. I seen this bike and felt it was a great value. We made a road trip yesterday to the nearest MC Sports after making sure they had a Vinson in stock. Price had went up to $499, the manager gave it to me for $450. Great value at that price. Will be doing several upgrades today and hope to get it out on the road tomorrow. No snow here yet and 50 degrees today in mid-Michigan.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have a screenshot or a link to the $499 price?

I might try to have D!ckssportinggoods price match.
    I bike with tires.

in the getto
    The problem with D!ckssportinggoods is its mail order only and they hit you with $125 shipping....I talked to a couple local stores and they will not ship to store for pick up. But let us know if they will price match at 499.
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Dsg

Quote Originally Posted by toe-knee View Post
    The problem with D!ckssportinggoods is its mail order only and they hit you with $125 shipping....I talked to a couple local stores and they will not ship to store for pick up. But let us know if they will price match at 499.
    Hey toe-knee it must have been a fluke or something but DSG had the Vinson for a brief minute for 529.00 & free shipping when I lucked up and saw it. Hard to be patient.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419649454574.jpg 
Views:	1293 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	950378picture from today. This bike is a blast.

awesome pic! Are you near the Twin Cities area? Looks like the river bottoms...

Out of curiousity, what made you decide on Bud/Bulldozer combo? Why not Bud/Bud, Bud/Lou, or just straight Bulldozers?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    How does the Mongoose Vinson compares to the Framed Minnesota 1.0 or Minnesota 2.0??? Thanks in advanced!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally Posted by McFlyMpls View Post
    awesome pic! Are you near the Twin Cities area? Looks like the river bottoms...

Out of curiousity, what made you decide on Bud/Bulldozer combo? Why not Bud/Bud, Bud/Lou, or just straight Bulldozers?
    Southern Michigan . Fort Custer rec area. I went bud front and bulldozer because I was concerned about rear tire clearance. No regrets this tire combo made this bike so much better I could not get rear or front to slip .and the bike rolled better and smoothed the ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally Posted by JJGT View Post
    How does the Mongoose Vinson compares to the Framed Minnesota 1.0 or Minnesota 2.0??? Thanks in advanced!
    I ride with several guys with framed 1's and 2s I would say its in the middle. Nicer then the 1 but spec lower than the 2 . I do like the 100 mm rims on the Vinson and the 190 spacing on the Vinson to fit fat tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I ride with several guys with framed 1's and 2s I would say its in the middle. Nicer then the 1 but spec lower than the 2 . I do like the 100 mm rims on the Vinson and the 190 spacing on the Vinson to fit fat tires.

Wow that 190mm spacing is like the Minnesota 3.0! how about the tires that come with it? Is it a "must upgrade" to ride in snow?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I did upgrades on my Vinson today.
    Forte Team Handlebar 720mm
    Bontrager Race X Lite Stem 90mm
    Bontrager Saddle
    White Brothers Snowpack Fork
    Avid BB7 Brakes
    Avid Brake Levers
    Q Tubes
    Vee Snowshoe 4.7 tires (4.25 actual)

Dropped 3 pounds with the upgrades. Using the bathroom scale measurement. Going to order a seat post shim so I can put a carbon post I have in the bin on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

good points on the Vinson, im realizing its a better buy the more I learn about it, thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    what is MS sports, I would like to buy a Vinson

Rich in San Francisco

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RichOinSFCA View Post
    what is MS sports, I would like to buy a Vinson

Rich in San Francisco
    Dick's Sporting Goods is also selling the bike online for $580.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Did anyone get a weight for the stock bike?

mtbr member
    Question about the Vinson, and sizing in general.

My mom wants a fat bike after riding my Farley 6 (size 17.5), so now we're looking at budget fatties (Framed Minnesotas, Badger, Bikes Direct, and now the Vinson). She'll be using it all year, in a more leisurely fashion not on anything too crazy. But I'm proud of her, she's 63, has a department store cruiser, got on the fatty, and got the bug!

I see the Vinson is only available at ***** in a size 18.

With how she plans on using it, would it be a sin to go for it, and lower the seat, maybe shorten the stem or raise the bars a bit? She's pretty short, probably closer to 5'4ish? I'd like to get her on one to see how the standover is.

Edit: lol @ D1ck's getting blocked out above.

Edit #2: isn't the Wal-goose just one size?
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    I can't imagine this bike would be comfortable for her at 5'4"
    - MOOTS Mooto X
    - Salsa Fargo
    - Surly Pugsley

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fightnut View Post
    Did anyone get a weight for the stock bike?
    35.7 pounds after I removed the reflectors, replaced the seat and added some little running lights. Should be within a few ounces of stock but maybe someone else can give you a more accurate number.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcthreadski View Post
    I just got one. It seems pretty alright, especially at the price they have. The components are solid. It has a Sram rear derailleur and a Shimano front derailleur, 3 x 8 drivetrain. It's all basic stuff, but of good enough quality to last a number of years and be upgraded upon as needed. Nothing feels "junky" or like some the stuff you see at the big boxes when it comes to bike shaped objects. This is a bike shop quality bike at a good discount because Mongoose plays in that market.

I took a good spin on it again on Sunday and I thought the bike out performed the rider, I thought the bike became predictable and sturdy, which came in handy for a big guy, riding on a snow covered trail for his first real ride on a fat bike. I know enough from mountain biking and cross country skiing to know how far you can push it on snow before it gives way and causes spin outs. With the 90 mm hubs and the 4" Vee tires, I got to give it enough mustard without losing traction to churn up the trail and I needed to exchange gears a couple times and the whole thing held together nicely.

For the money, I think this bike is a no brainer. The frame is nice enough to upgrade on and it comes with a really workmanlike group of components.

10/10 would buy again.
    How much dose this Mongoose weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Question about the Vinson, and sizing in general.

My mom wants a fat bike after riding my Farley 6 (size 17.5), so now we're looking at budget fatties (Framed Minnesotas, Badger, Bikes Direct, and now the Vinson). She'll be using it all year, in a more leisurely fashion not on anything too crazy. But I'm proud of her, she's 63, has a department store cruiser, got on the fatty, and got the bug!

I see the Vinson is only available at ***** in a size 18.

With how she plans on using it, would it be a sin to go for it, and lower the seat, maybe shorten the stem or raise the bars a bit? She's pretty short, probably closer to 5'4ish? I'd like to get her on one to see how the standover is.

Edit: lol @ D1ck's getting blocked out above.

Edit #2: isn't the Wal-goose just one size?
    I am 57 y/o and have just over 200 miles on the FATTY I bought from DB in Nov. I bought the Gravity Bullseye Monster! Love it. Check their site. You're mother will be able to get the size she needs for her body size and have a lot more fun on a bike that fits her, than one that comes in one size. Annnnnd. They come in different colors.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anybody tried going tubeless on their Vinson yet? My SIL bought one and the rubbing sound the tube makes at lower pressures is awful!
    BTW, it's a helluva nice bike for the price, and I'm riding a Farley 6.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marna_Kazmaier View Post
    I am 57 y/o and have just over 200 miles on the FATTY I bought from DB in Nov. I bought the Gravity Bullseye Monster! Love it. Check their site. You're mother will be able to get the size she needs for her body size and have a lot more fun on a bike that fits her, than one that comes in one size. Annnnnd. They come in different colors.
    Glad to hear you're loving the fatty! We (actually I, ha) looked at the BD bikes and many (the ones in the colors she likes) were backordered. Looks like she is going to roll with a Charge Cooker Maxi. She got on it and loved it. Oddly, she wasn't impressed with the Framed MN 2.0 and didn't love the Badger Fattywompus 2.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Name:  MarnaNewPogies 2014-11-22.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  64.3 KB
    Glad to hear you're loving the fatty! We (actually I, ha) looked at the BD bikes and many (the ones in the colors she likes) were backordered. Looks like she is going to roll with a Charge Cooker Maxi. She got on it and loved it. Oddly, she wasn't impressed with the Framed MN 2.0 and didn't love the Badger Fattywompus 2.
    Ha3 You are not in SD are you? <winks> I bet your mom could be my riding partner.

I HAD to have the Lime Green Monster. Other colors would not do. I also have made my gear to match. <smiles>

mtbr member
    Looking to go tuneless today or tomorrow. Need to buy surandwrap.
    2014 Singular Gryphon

mtbr member
    Name:  MarnasNewHelmet 2014-12-06.jpg
Views: 1951
Size:  85.8 KBOh, and I so badly needed a new helmet, I bought a Bell to match.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marna_Kazmaier View Post
    Name:  MarnaNewPogies 2014-11-22.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  64.3 KB

Ha3 You are not in SD are you? <winks> I bet your mom could be my riding partner.

I HAD to have the Lime Green Monster. Other colors would not do. I also have made my gear to match. <smiles>

Ha, we are in WI. How tall are you, and what size did you get? I guess I totally missed it, but your bike is in stock at BD. Very tempting.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    New meats on the bike bud front bulldozer rearClick image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419447714629.jpg 
Views:	4798 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	949719

Quick question. Why did you go for the bulldozer instead of the surly lou?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Quick question. Why did you go for the bulldozer instead of the surly lou?
    I was worried about clearance in the rear. I will say the the combo I have is awesome I can climb any hill a rail corners . I think the bulldozer is an excellent tire and rolls fast. No snow yet but supposed to get some this weekend. Will update. By the way no annoying squeaky noise from the tires like the missions did.

mtbr member
    Is the bulldozer really 4.7? Or similar to the snowshoe, where advertised size is inflated?
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Is the bulldozer really 4.7? Or similar to the snowshoe, where advertised size is inflated?
    I have not measured it but it is extremely close to the width of the bud. It dwarfs the missions that were on it the side benefit is the bike rides way smoother now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I was worried about clearance in the rear. I will say the the combo I have is awesome I can climb any hill a rail corners . I think the bulldozer is an excellent tire and rolls fast. No snow yet but supposed to get some this weekend. Will update. By the way no annoying squeaky noise from the tires like the missions did.

Thank you! I didn't think about clearance, I think some body did put a bud on the vinson. I'm not sure if it is working at low psi

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Thank you! I didn't think about clearance, I think some body did put a bud on the vinson. I'm not sure if it is working at low psi
    My intentions are to go tubeless and if I do the bulldozer should fit fine.

mtbr member
    Wonder if the bulldozer would be good for the Minnesota 3.o rear. Lous wont fit.
    2014 Singular Gryphon

mtbr member
    Ha, we are in WI. How tall are you, and what size did you get? I guess I totally missed it, but your bike is in stock at BD. Very tempting.
    Ha3 We lived in WI for 9 years, in Bryant, near Antigo, N or Wausau. Loved it. We raced sled dogs then.

I am 5' 6" tall and we bought the 18". I am long legged. I love the fit.

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast