Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637
Results 1,801 to 1,843 of 1843

Thread: mongoose Vinson

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I ordered the Canadian equivalent of the Vinson (Iron Horse Manto) from Amazon and received it yesterday. Assembly went ok except for one concerning issue. The chain rubs on the stock Juggernaut tire when in the two lowest rear cogs. Has anyone had this issue with the stock 4.0 tires? After reading this thread I though this bike could handle 4.8 tires, so I'm surprised this is happening to the 4.0 Juggs. I'm not sure how to handle this short of calling Pacific Cycle or taking it to the LBS to get their advice.

I have noticed the rear tire is slightly warped when it spins. Since it's new I assume the rim is still true but perhaps the tube or tire is warped. I still think it would rub without the warp, but the rubbing sound is certainly more prominent at certain parts on the tire which suggests warping or bulging.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose cause of the problem? Would a bent derailleur hanger do this? Could the frame be bent? I have read that you can add spacers to the BB, anyone know if the Vinson/Manto's BB can accommodate spacers or be shifted outboard a few mm?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Is the tire properly seated? They do make bb spacers but verify the tire situation first I'd say.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
    2014 Singular Gryphon
    2013 C-Dale F29 Alloy 2, CAAD10 105
    2005 Jamis Dakar XC Expert
    2014 Framed Minn. 3.0 Bluto

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dernbiebs View Post
    I ordered the Canadian equivalent of the Vinson (Iron Horse Manto) from Amazon and received it yesterday. Assembly went ok except for one concerning issue. The chain rubs on the stock Juggernaut tire when in the two lowest rear cogs. Has anyone had this issue with the stock 4.0 tires? After reading this thread I though this bike could handle 4.8 tires, so I'm surprised this is happening to the 4.0 Juggs. I'm not sure how to handle this short of calling Pacific Cycle or taking it to the LBS to get their advice.

I have noticed the rear tire is slightly warped when it spins. Since it's new I assume the rim is still true but perhaps the tube or tire is warped. I still think it would rub without the warp, but the rubbing sound is certainly more prominent at certain parts on the tire which suggests warping or bulging.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose cause of the problem? Would a bent derailleur hanger do this? Could the frame be bent? I have read that you can add spacers to the BB, anyone know if the Vinson/Manto's BB can accommodate spacers or be shifted outboard a few mm?

Thanks
    When mounting 3.8 tires on the stock rims I found it very easy to have the tire NOT sit squarely on the rim, check that its seated correctly, if it seems to be, you might need to ride it a few times, the tires can hold a warped shape if they were folded before being mounted, but you can likely undo this with use. (or heat).

The 8spd setup should clear the large tire, I put a 10spd cassette on and a 4.5 with that does not give enough room, but even that's only in 1st gear.
    5010 v1

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Is wheel installed correctly? Double check.

Is the tire seated properly all the around?

Is rim straight?

Spokes tight?

Wheel dished properly?

Frame straight?

Drive side crank arm mounted tight and straight?

A lot of stuff to check before adding bottom bracket spacers.
    2015 Specialized Stumpjumper 29er HT
    2015 Mongoose Vinson fat bike

mtbr member
    Indeed. Put the bike on the ground, then loosen and tighten the skewer. Wheel build may be an issue.

2014 Singular Gryphon

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Wonder if the wheel needs to be dished more to the non-drive side, how much room is there between the tire and frame on both sides?
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I took the bike to a couple shops today and they confirmed that the dish is good, as is the true of the rim. They also said the frame alignment is good. One shop said the derailleur was slightly bent so they adjusted that and I think that added a extra mm of spacing to the tire, but the chain does still touch the tire on some spots. Both shops couldn't understand why the manufacturer put 3 chainrings on a bike with rims 100mm wide.

Some fixes they suggested, though they admitted were not ideal, would be to purposefully put the dish out to move the rim a few mm away from the chain or to add a spacer to the bb. They also said that going to a 1x setup would eliminate the chain rub (1x was what I had wanted to do before I bought it anyway. One Up makes a 30T 96bcd nw chain ring, that should suffice right?).

I thought about sending it back to Amazon, but I called Amazon and they offered a partial refund. So I'm gonna keep it and ride it as is. I actually rode it this afternoon and after I got home I checked the clearance and its actually improved a bit. While not perfect, it's good enough now.

Thanks for all your help.

Bike rides great BTW. $435 (~$325 USD) all in. Don't think I'll beat that for a decent FB.

mongoose Vinson-0701-2017-0631107731346215976.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    $325? I thought it was $500 something last I checked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    Indeed. Put the bike on the ground, then loosen and tighten the skewer. Wheel build may be an issue.

+1 on this. My first thought is one side wasnt fully seated in the dropout, but since you took it to a shop I would imagine this would have probably been one of the first thing they checked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Tried to do a mid-snowstorm ride today. Front brake froze up in under a mile! Luckily it froze open so I could ride back to the truck. Trails were junk so I wasn't that bothered. The dog was annoyed, to say the least!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    Wonder if the wheel needs to be dished more to the non-drive side, how much room is there between the tire and frame on both sides?
    This too, but I would check the space from the rim to the frame on both sides to see if its the same.

Weird thought, but any chance you've got a 4.5" Jugg on there rather than a 4"?

The shop is right by the way, a 3x makes no sense on this bike. If 96bcd chainring is hard to find, may want tomlook at the Chainring Guitsboy used that mounts in the granny spot...not back too far in the thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Pack66 View Post
    $325? I thought it was $500 something last I checked.
    Amazon Canada had this bike for $509.99 when I bought it ($535 after tax), however they refunded me 20%, bringing the total cost do about $435. This is Canadian dollars. The USD conversion from $435 CAD is about $325 USD.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Pkovo View Post
    This too, but I would check the space from the rim to the frame on both sides to see if its the same.

Weird thought, but any chance you've got a 4.5" Jugg on there rather than a 4"?

The shop is right by the way, a 3x makes no sense on this bike. If 96bcd chainring is hard to find, may want tomlook at the Chainring Guitsboy used that mounts in the granny spot...not back too far in the thread.
    I also wondered if it was the 4.5 Jugg (that'd be sweet) but it's not. I still don't know why I can't even have the stock 4.0's without chain rub, yet others on here are running 4.8s. Thinking I might just go 1x8 for now.

OneUp Components has their 96bcd nw chainrings on sale for $47 CAD. The lowest they go is 30T, which I think is what the stock middle chain ring is. I imagine I will be pushing the bike uphills a lot with the 30T chain ring and the 12-32T cassette. At least my legs will be stronger when it's time to ride dirt again. One of the shops said they could put on the SRAM NX 11spd drivetrain (shifter, derailleur, chain, cassette (11-42)) for $270 CAD. That's more than half the cost of the entire bike, but if I'm only running a 30T up front the extra range on the cassette may be worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I believe the north shore single ring that mounts in granny spot is abailable in 28.

You could also go 10 speed and probably shave nearly $100 off the single ring conversion price you were quoted and still have rhe 42 tooth ring on the cassette.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have a 30 up front with a 11-42 10spd rear, I cannot make the 4.5 fit in the rear with this setup at the moment, but 4" tires are fine.

Here is yesterdays ride, I have the jugg 4.5 up front and a nate in the rear, had tons of grip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaw0HvxyoFw
    5010 v1

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    So my buddy came over last night to take a look at the chain rub. He wanted to measure the bottom bracket spacing on each side of the frame to see if it could be moved in/out. When he was trying to take the non-drive side crank arm off he cross threaded the crank thread with the crank pull tool. We were unable to get the crank off since the crank puller now threads in on an angle. I suppose this crank is garbage now? Any idea what it might cost to get Pacific to send me a new crank arm. I don't suppose it'll be free since it was my fault. Would a thread chaser tool fix this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dernbiebs View Post
    So my buddy came over last night to take a look at the chain rub. He wanted to measure the bottom bracket spacing on each side of the frame to see if it could be moved in/out. When he was trying to take the non-drive side crank arm off he cross threaded the crank thread with the crank pull tool. We were unable to get the crank off since the crank puller now threads in on an angle. I suppose this crank is garbage now? Any idea what it might cost to get Pacific to send me a new crank arm. I don't suppose it'll be free since it was my fault. Would a thread chaser tool fix this?
    They might, square taper crank arms are pretty cheap to begin with, that crank is nothing special. I don't know the thread of that, but in theory it could probably be fixed.
    5010 v1

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Got a great shot on todays ride, no video, forgot the chesty, would have been boring anyway, damn powder has NO traction, now I understand why they need groomers in the mid west!

mongoose Vinson-2017-01-08-14.58.27.jpg
    5010 v1

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    interesting about the chain rub. When I had my Vinson I put a 20T granny on it and switched to 10 speed in back. I got rid of the e-type FD and used a problem solvers direct mount bracket. So I was running 3x10 and Vee Bulldozers and even then I only had the slightest rub in only the 20-36 gear combo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've been searching around trying to find some inexpensive carbon fiber handlebars & seatpost but really not finding much. I've been considering going through Amazon but I'd love to hear some feedback. So if anyone knows of some good deals or has feedback on Amazon carbon fiber parts, please let me know!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Check out Chinertown.com. it's a forum about Chinese carbon bike parts. Xmiplay.com and Xmcarbonspeed.com are two highly thought of vendors over there.

Almost bought a frame from Peter at Xmcarbonspeed, ended up getting a killer deal on a Trek from my LBS that I couldn't walk away from.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I did check that site out over the weekend & like you said peter is a go to guy. I'll save that as a backup if I can't find anything else!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Has anyone checked & listed the weights of the various components on the Vinson? I've seen them on the Dolomite but not the Vinson.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Idea! 4.5 does fit with a 10spd setup

So have to admit some misinformation here, short way: the Jugg 4.5 does fit with the 10spd setup currently (1x on the front in the big ring spot, which needs to change).

Long version: My friend bought the bike and did the 10spd swap, said the 4.5 didn't fit, now hes the type of guy that is right about mechanical stuff 98% of the time, he even set it up with 9 gears last winter to make it work. I don't know what is different now, but I attached a pic of the clearance and its pretty good still.

mongoose Vinson-2017-01-11-20.05.39.jpg

Next project is putting the 1x gear on the small ring, chainline in 1st is horrible, looks like the small ring will have much better offset. I need a 28 or 26
    5010 v1

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis_fx35 View Post
    The Vinson and The Bullseye Monster
    i was wondering if you could tell me the dimensions of the fork and/or put a link of where you purchased the fork from i am interested in getting the RST for my bike?

mtbr member
    I got mine and my brother's on eBay. The seller name is CRCCYCLE and I think he has one fork left with a thru axle hub included. The fork specs are listed on the description. You'll need a new 32hole rim because the Vinson has 36h wheels. I would contact RST USA and ask where to get the fork just in case u have to return it or to use the warranty.
    Last edited by Luis_fx35; 01-14-2017 at 06:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Very recently a guy posted a photo of a RST renegade for non-tapered frames in the Gravity Bullseye Monster thread. Maybe he got it somewhere else and cheaper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis_fx35 View Post
    Very recently a guy posted a photo of a RST renegade for non-tapered frames in the Gravity Bullseye Monster thread. Maybe he got it somewhere else and cheaper.
    could i just use the hub that comes on the vinson and for go buying a new front rim?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    also can you run a 4.8 tire with the RST?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    does anyone know if you can run a 100mm rim on an RST renegade?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If the RST fork is designed for a through axle, then no, you can't use the stock hub.

I can't see why a 100mm rim would not work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I know that guy. I think he got it here: RST FORKS Renegade Fat Bike Fat Bike 26" Threadless 1-1/8" 260mm Post Disc Alumi | eBay

And yes, he did get it cheaper. Of course he had to write to the seller and ask if the fork was the straight or tapered because the ad isn't very good, but, sure enough, it's the straight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by noobvinson View Post
    does anyone know if you can run a 100mm rim on an RST renegade?
    I'm sure you can, it's huge. But there are a couple things you need to keep in mind. The Vinson has a 135mm QR hub with 100mm rims. The Renegade will only work with a 150 thru axle hub. So, you will need to get a new hub, cut your old one out, and rebuild the wheel. And if you own a Vinson like me, you're probably cheap like me, and that is an expensive solution. $100 for the hub $70 for new spokes and $50 for the build. You can buy a whole new set for that. It won't be 100 mm. Which in my opinion is a good thing. I've ridden on 100s, I've ridden on 80s, I've ridden on 65s and I've ridden on 50s. I prefer the 65s on snow and sand. And I'm not a small man. At least 250# depending on how long it's been since my last meal. You might get some extra floatation with the 100s, but the added rolling resistance is horrible. And it's going to be a very limited snow texture and temperature where the 100s will be better. You're not going to ride on soft powder with 100s and you can ride on groomed snow with 50s. So somewhere in between there, you will find some usefulness for your 100s. But, they will always have high rolling resistance and horrible self steer, no matter what you are riding on. Just buy the renegade and a 65 150mm thru axle hub. Here you go, get this set for your bike. You'll love it. I do:
    Fat Bike Wheelset 190mm R 150mm F 10 Speed 65mm Rims 26x4.0 double Wall rims | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I ordered this yesterday for my vinny. I can't wait! https://lunacycle.com/luna-lander-fa...k-for-sondors/ 5" travel air fork. Bluto quality. made for 1 1/8 straight steerers

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    How can that be so cheap??
    5010 v1

mtbr member
    Any pictures of that Luna Cycle fork? How do you like it so far?

mtbr member
    Ordered one. Its on the way

2014 Singular Gryphon

Land of the 230+
    I think calling it "bluto quality" is certainly taking a few liberties. This thing weighs 50% more than a bluto, so it's most likely steel. Still, if it performs well, it may be worth the extra 2 lbs on the front end for some people. I'm curious about how it rides, of course, but not curious enough to roll the dice on an unknown product. Who knows, maybe its a decent fork and the weight was severely overstated. We can dream, cant we?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    1.8 lbs more, for something that will fit 1 1/8 straight steer bikes, is not a huge amount. I will make a huge difference for the Vinson, Dolomite, Hitch, and a whole host of other bikes. The ad probably should say "Bluto like" quality. Under 200 bucks for an air fork, with remote lockout, is great in my book. Nobody else is knocking down the doors with an economical and decent fork. I am sure it won't be for everyone, but it will make a lot of people happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hello! I've been following this thread for a while and picked up my first bike as an adult, the mongoose Vinson last year with hopes of new england trail riding and specifically snow riding. Tried my bike out yesterday in deep snow, 5psi, and got about 15 feet and was pretty discouraged. I don't know anything about bicycles or tube/tubeless setups but I'm pretty mechanically inclined and willing to change tires seasonally. I'm guessing I just need more aggressive tires, probably studded. Are tires like the studded snowshoe XL a tube tire that can be run as tubeless or do I need to look elsewhere for an easy replacement? It seems like it takes some effort to get tubeless tires to hold which I'm not currently not interested in attempting. I'd rather pay a little more and know I have traction than worry about it as a very inexperienced rider. Any reccommendations? Just looking to do some easy riding, not looking for max speed. Thanks! Apologies in advance if these are naive questions, I've tried to do as much research as I can but most articles seem to assume you already know something about what you're looking at.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmouta View Post
    Hello! I've been following this thread for a while and picked up my first bike as an adult, the mongoose Vinson last year with hopes of new england trail riding and specifically snow riding. Tried my bike out yesterday in deep snow, 5psi, and got about 15 feet and was pretty discouraged. I don't know anything about bicycles or tube/tubeless setups but I'm pretty mechanically inclined and willing to change tires seasonally. I'm guessing I just need more aggressive tires, probably studded. Are tires like the studded snowshoe XL a tube tire that can be run as tubeless or do I need to look elsewhere for an easy replacement? It seems like it takes some effort to get tubeless tires to hold which I'm not currently not interested in attempting. I'd rather pay a little more and know I have traction than worry about it as a very inexperienced rider. Any reccommendations? Just looking to do some easy riding, not looking for max speed. Thanks! Apologies in advance if these are naive questions, I've tried to do as much research as I can but most articles seem to assume you already know something about what you're looking at.
    As much snow as we got here in CT (a foot here in Hebron) you won't be able to ride until the trails get packed down, preferably by snowshoers. Anything under3-4" doesn't require anything other than lower tire pressures (I use 9f/10r with kenda juggernaut pro 4.5" with tubes during summer, and 4-5psi for snow with same tires) than normal. An accurate gauge is key. It's also dependent on the type of snow that we get, the super fluffy powder we just got is horrible to bike in as it compacts down so far when you try to ride on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    As much snow as we got here in CT (a foot here in Hebron) you won't be able to ride until the trails get packed down, preferably by snowshoers. Anything under3-4" doesn't require anything other than lower tire pressures (I use 9f/10r with kenda juggernaut pro 4.5" with tubes during summer, and 4-5psi for snow with same tires) than normal. An accurate gauge is key. It's also dependent on the type of snow that we get, the super fluffy powder we just got is horrible to bike in as it compacts down so far when you try to ride on it.
    Thanks for the input! It's tough to balance expectations without really knowing the limits of equipment and trying to keep the budget somewhat reasonable for a beginner experience.

I've been thinking about going to Race Brook Tract in Orange but I've been worried about not reading the conditions properly with respect to my bike's ability and having to return home in defeat. Nobody wants to be the noob with the ridiculous looking bike falling over every 10 feet!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmouta View Post
    Thanks for the input! It's tough to balance expectations without really knowing the limits of equipment and trying to keep the budget somewhat reasonable for a beginner experience.

I've been thinking about going to Race Brook Tract in Orange but I've been worried about not reading the conditions properly with respect to my bike's ability and having to return home in defeat. Nobody wants to be the noob with the ridiculous looking bike falling over every 10 feet!

As Yzdef said, powder in excess is no good for fatbikes like it is for some other winter sports. A person at my LBS told me that fatbikes are great when ski conditions are not, they were correct. So powder days I ski/or snow shoe the trails I want to ride when things stiffen up/get packed down. Also they groom near me which basically gives a 6 foot wide trail.

I remember going out when I first got my bike and went out to a state park with 8" of fresh powder cause I thought it would be no biggie, that was a mistake. So I know where you are coming from. Luckily though, most areas don't get fresh snow every day of the week so you'll be able to ride pretty often in the winter if you find the right spot.

So check locally for a place that grooms or get some snowshoes and some friends with more snow shoes and start making your path! Tubeless won't be a big factor with whats going on but I'm pretty sure tires would be worth upgrading down the road. The stock ones should help get you started though.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637