Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: mongoose Vinson

mtbr member
    First time Fat Bike owner. First post. I just got my Vinson last Saturday at MC Sports in Peoria, IL. I'm loving it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: mongoose Vinson

Quote Originally Posted by lugnut321 View Post
    First time Fat Bike owner. First post. I just got my Vinson last Saturday at MC Sports in Peoria, IL. I'm loving it.
    Nice! Enjoy it's a great bike

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut321 View Post
    Welcome to the Forum. Nice Folks here. Congrats on your new Bicycle! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    The Vinson is on the mongoose website.Looks like they have to work the bugs out on the specs.

Ent whacker
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I am 5' 11" with a 30" inseam. I am looking at layback seatpost options.
    Bought a 30.6 x 27.2 shim and used a spare 410mm Thomson post. Perfect.

Ent whacker
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    I was worried about clearance in the rear. I will say the the combo I have is awesome I can climb any hill a rail corners . I think the bulldozer is an excellent tire and rolls fast. No snow yet but supposed to get some this weekend. Will update. By the way no annoying squeaky noise from the tires like the missions did.

That is almost reason enough right there. Rear started squeaking on the third ride and drove me nuts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    My intentions are to go tubeless and if I do the bulldozer should fit fine.

Cool! and please share how the tubeless conversion goes! one more question, so the Surly Lou (and bud) is not good for tubeless? my LBS only carries surly tires so I will have to get the bulldozer online.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by x3speed View Post
    What's the stand over with these tires?

mtbr member
    I'll have to look, it's at my Dad's
    2014 Singular Gryphon
    2013 C-Dale F29 Alloy 2, CAAD10 105
    2005 Jamis Dakar XC Expert
    2014 Framed Minn. 3.0 Bluto

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just seen sports authority has the vinson on ebay for 579$ Free shipping.

mtbr member

mongoose Vinson

Quote Originally Posted by NEOHIO Ray View Post
    Just seen sports authority has the vinson on ebay for 579$ Free shipping.
    Ughh, can't believe I missed the sale MC SPORTS had 😒

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    FYI, you can buy it directly from Sports Authority with free shipping and 10% off. ($522 total shipped)

Mongoose Vinson All-Terrain Fat Bike - SportsAuthority.com

Get 10% off by signing up for emails.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/email...clickid=signup
    I bike with tires.

mtbr member

mongoose Vinson

Damn. If I would have known that, I probably would have ordered this instead of the gravity bullseye monster. The specs between the two bikes seem almost identical however, the Vinson has those 100mm rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I bought one of these Vinsons a couple of weeks ago. I like it, but the tires are not great in snow. I slip out pretty bad on climbs. I am noticing that different users have used different tire combo upgrades (lou, bud, bulldozer, snow shoe)... I know little about tires. Any advice on purchasing tires? Why did some of you choose the tires you did? I am guessing cost and size are significant factors, but what else?

Right now I am just riding in a few inches of (mostly) packed snow. My rear slips on climbs, and my front has a tendency to get pretty squirrelly in places -- often sliding out.

This is kind of a broad question, but I appreciate anything you can offer.

And, I am in general agreement... this bike is a fantastic deal!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: mongoose Vinson

Quote Originally Posted by rinndw View Post
    I bought one of these Vinsons a couple of weeks ago. I like it, but the tires are not great in snow. I slip out pretty bad on climbs. I am noticing that different users have used different tire combo upgrades (lou, bud, bulldozer, snow shoe)... I know little about tires. Any advice on purchasing tires? Why did some of you choose the tires you did? I am guessing cost and size are significant factors, but what else?

Right now I am just riding in a few inches of (mostly) packed snow. My rear slips on climbs, and my front has a tendency to get pretty squirrelly in places -- often sliding out.

I have the bulldozer rear and bud front and the main reason I went bulldozer rear was I heard it had good traction and it was not as wide as a Lou so it would clear the chain and stays even with flex . I have been very pleased with the combo. We have had very cold powder snow and it has been impressive the amount of grip.

mtbr member
    I can't see it in the pics. Does this bike have the ability to add a rear rack?

mtbr member
    I got a pair of On-One floaters based on the price and generally good reviews. I havn't had a chance to fit them up yet, but I havn't seen anything close in the price range.
    Aussie in Chicagoland (what's all this white stuff?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugout Bikes View Post
    I can't see it in the pics. Does this bike have the ability to add a rear rack?
    It does not have threaded holes on the seat stays, however it does have a hole where a V brake would normally go. There are holes in the dropouts, though with disc brakes it's a busy area.

I have a seatpost mounted rack that goes on everything, that's an option if you don't carry a lot of weight.

There are no bosses for a front rack on the fork, there is one hole on the bottom of the fork stem for a fender, though.

Sorry for bad news rack-mounting wise.

mtbr member
    Any advice on purchasing tires? Why did some of you choose the tires you did? I am guessing cost and size are significant factors, but what else?

The Mission's just aren't good in snow at all, so most anything would be an upgrade.

For snow you need a more aggressive tread and you would benefit from something with more volume as well. Sadly I don't think the Kenda Juggernaut 4.5 will be out in time for this winter, I think at about 60 bucks a tire that would be a good value match for the Vinson and be a upgrade in both areas. The 4.0 version of that tire probably isn't a huge upgrade over the Missions. The On One floater is another value option that doesn't increase volume much but has more aggressive tread, unfortunately out of stock in the US. I think I'm going with a pair of Showshoe XL's, though I am still concerned about the rear chain clearance (even though earlier in the thread I see pics of Bud/Lou combo, when I look at my bike I only have ~3/8in between the stock tires and chain). The Vee Bulldozer is a bit smaller than the Showshoe/Bud/Lou which would give it more clearance in the rear. In front who cares, anything will fit.

MM bead to bead:

Your Mission Command: 230
    One One floater: 235
    Snowshoe 4.5/4.7: 238
    Vee Bulldozer/KendaJuggernaut4.5/Dillenger 5: 245
    Bud/Lou/Snowshoe xl: 260

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    fatbikenewbie here, sorry if asked previously, just got Vinson, I think I love it! wondering if you think putting on one floaters would greatly improve overall ride. also confused, but wondering what tire gauge and portable tire pump folks suggest, as I do want to start messing with the air pressure. thank you!

mtbr member
    On dirt and snow I'm sure it would. On hard packed trails or roads the Missions' less aggressive tread probably has less rolling resistance. I don't mind the self steer and will probably change back to the Missions in spring. Probably won't buy them again, though.

I have a 1-20psi gauge I got at fleet farm for four bucks. Any gauge will do but one made for this range will be more accurate than a standard 10-50psi gauge. Obviously you need a high volume pump, and really it should have a hose so you don't rip the valve. I have a lezyne sport drive HV, I have a feeling it will probably be 250~300 pumps to get a rideable tire. I doubt my ability to do that many without ripping a valve off with a pump that connects directly to it (without a hose). There are larger HV pumps that cost only a bit more, depends what it's worth to you (both size and money).

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    dear bepperb, thanks very much, I think Ill be getting the on one floaters, reviews make them sound like reasonable price performers (yes for winter/snow conditions in nothern illinois), then like you suggest maybe go back to missions in spring. also thanks for lezyne suggestion. I would like to find an accurate 1-30psi gauge to cover all bases. Again really appreciate this forum, as I generally have no idea what Im doing, but LOVE getting out and riding the Vinson! thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I cannot see anyone wanting to put the missions back on Unless the tire they put on to replace it was not great in the first place. I put the bud n bulldozer combo and got rid of the terrible self steer. and gained better ride and less rolling resistance. I was really surprised how well the bud and bulldozer rolled.

mtbr member
    I think the Missions go back on when the 29er comes back out, basically so I don't wear out expensive winter tires for bar hoping and laps around my neighborhood. I don't expect to ride the fatbike seriously when there isn't snow on the ground. Just as summer beaters. I'm generally not too keen to challenge my 7 year old to a long skid mark contest in our driveway. These tires might change that.

Yes, if you're going to ride trails on it year round I'm with you 100%.

I had also considered selling them on ebay and getting something better for summer (4.0 inches and with low rolling resistance)... like the Juggernaut 4.0 or Fat B nimble... I just don't see myself using the bike enough to go through the effort.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    I think the Missions go back on when the 29er comes back out, basically so I don't wear out expensive winter tires for bar hoping and laps around my neighborhood. I don't expect to ride the fatbike seriously when there isn't snow on the ground. Just as summer beaters. I'm generally not too keen to challenge my 7 year old to a long skid mark contest in our driveway. These tires might change that.

Yes, if you're going to ride trails on it year round I'm with you 100%.

I had also considered selling them on ebay and getting something better for summer (4.0 inches and with low rolling resistance)... like the Juggernaut 4.0 or Fat B nimble... I just don't see myself using the bike enough to go through the effort.
    That makes sense. If you were doing trail you would want something better . but for beating on the missions are perfect

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Bought one after the sale $499.00... nice bike.. some component limitations. seat post odd size 30.6mm. front derailleur only 1 will work correctly alivio fd-410e. all others need a bracket (braze on) bottom bracket spindle length 168mm square taper. Has anyone changed cranksets? for the price okay.... Went to My local Performance bike store they have their branded model ACCESS for 799 on sale much better bike and better specs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Purchased a Vinson for $499 questions and concerns

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanrider View Post
    Bought one after the sale $499.00... nice bike.. some component limitations. seat post odd size 30.6mm. front derailleur only 1 will work correctly alivio fd-410e. all others need a bracket (braze on) bottom bracket spindle length 168mm square taper. Has anyone changed cranksets? for the price okay.... Went to My local Performance bike store they have their branded model ACCESS for 799 on sale much better bike and better specs.
    The crankset/front derailleur was a concern to me as well. Curious if anyone has upgraded the crank. The one thing that that the Access does not have is a 190mm rear and the ability to fit 4.7+ tires.

mtbr member
    There's no shortage of 170mm rear bikes in the 800 dollar range. That's not what the Vinson is. It's specd lower (and has a corresponding lower price) and it takes larger tires. This may or may not be a good thing depending on what you want to ride. It would have been nice (and I would have likely bought it) if the Mongoose Argus was readily available... with better groupset and 190 rear end.

Any crank change should be simple since square taper cranks are so readily available. And I do wonder how long a no-name aluminum chainrings are going to last so this might happen sooner than later for some of us. Upgrading to a hollowtech style should be easy, but last I looked the FSA cranks that would work with a 190 rear end were about 160 bucks, which isn't something I'd put on a 500 dollar bike unless it was part of a repair. IMO the crankset isn't the weakest part of this bike, probably the tires -> brakes ->12-32 cassette will be things that need to change.

Why do you think only the one derailleur would fit. Why wouldn't any e type front deraileur work? A clamp type deraileur won't work on most fat bikes, a bb mounted front is a pretty common thing these days. Some fat bikes like the Minnisota's have a tab brazed on the seat tube to accomodate a clamp style derailleur, seems like a less elegant solution to me. And last I read the Minnesota 1.0 didn't have it, so you'd be in the same boat needing an e type derailleur for that if you wanted more than 1x9 gearing.

mtbr member
    For those still interested I took my 'goose on the Triple D poker run last weekend. 10 miles of cornfields and snowmobile trail and 20 miles of gravel roads. Bone stock (even tires) and everything worked great, a bit of cable stretch in the rear derailleur and brake. To be honest I'm surprised nothing is broken. Definitely the only person riding a Mongoose... and to be blunt out of probably 100 fat bikes I only saw one with Vee brand tires. Everything else shod with 45nrth or Surly. The missions were a safety hazard on some of the faster downhill sections, though I actually thought they did really well on the gravel road portion. Rode with a Salsa and a 29er, the Salsa had better tires and could outhandle me in some of the snow. 29er wasn't even close. Which is good, I had considered bringing mine and made the right choice. There's no replacement for displacement on snow.

Total of about 100 miles on it, probably 20 of single track, 20 of snow and 60 of roads... and the bike has held up well.

That's it, though, as far as stock goes for me. I'll probably start tear down tonight if you have any questions on how to remove something let me know and I'll take some pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I guess I'm ready to give an update also. I've got about 100 miles on mine, mostly dry to slushy roads, a little snowy singletrack too. I still am very happy with my purchase. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the crank was no-name. I think it is a Shimano crankset based on the 22/30/40 gearing and the striking similarity to the brand new Deore M612 crank I installed on my Yelli a few days ago. Alivio FD is quite serviceable for this application and I've ridden Alivio 3x9 in some fairly rough conditions on my previous MTB. Yes the tires/tubes are cheap. Yes the brakes could use an upgrade at some point. The saddle is a bit of and a_s_s_hatchet. The X4 3x8 is fine for most people. I plan on racing a couple times with it in the next few weeks to see how it will work for the Birkie. I might steal the X5 10 speed shifter, X9 RD, cassette, and chain off my summer commuter if I feel I need 4 more teeth for climbing.

as for the tires, I've been playing with pressures a lot. I have a large dial low pressure gauge I use for drag racing. It is fairly accurate. I cannot get rid of the auto steer without jacking the air pressure way up. Once the front tire gets to 5.25 psi you have to hold on to the handlebars firmly and be on your toes. I've tried more air in back, less air in back all it does is make it harder to pedal. I haven't noticed much traction difference until the rear gets down to about 4.5psi. All of this low pressure fun also comes with the fantastic tube rub noise which you can't really hear over the howl of the tread and heavy breathing.

So to summarize, Love the bike - hate the tires.

mtbr member
    That's awesome someone else will be at the Birkie with a Vinson, I will as well.

I might be hard to find though, as frame is stripped and raw aluminum now. Assembly/disassembly was as basic as it gets. Frame with only headset cups was under 5lbs. Fork was light and has aluminum steerer, too. Only real letdowns were the bottom bracket is pretty heavy (as would be expected of a square taper this size) and has no protection for the bearings, which aren't replaceable even though they are standard 6002rs size. IIRC it was 390 grams without bolts. The x4 derailleur has steel cage and steel bushings which aren't great for a winter bike. Not dissapointed enough with those two things to do any proactive replacement. Despite reports of Dolomites starved of grease that was not the case with any part of my Vinson. The pics of the Mongoose Argus had a gusseted frame, my bike doesn't have gussets. Otherwise this is a nice frame that could be built into anything, I don't see why this couldn't weigh 30 lbs if you spent enough on upgrades (I'm not advising that).

My rear brakes seem to have broken in nicely and have B for power and A- for modulation. My fronts have not and are terrible in both regards. I might take my rotor to some glass/sandpaper and see if that's the problem. I find it hard to believe any grease wouldn't have been burned off by miles of wet gravel spray. So we're on a wait-and-see if I keep them.

OnOne Floater tires and new tubes arrive Monday, but bike is back together and made it around the house yesterday (always interesting to disassemble/reassemble and see what is tweaked, but in my case even the derailleur's didn't need any adjustment).

Still, with a total of 499 for bike, 105 for tires and 14 for Aircraft Remover this bike is a fantastic value. Even though it is very easy to work on I've really only recommended it to people with bicycling experience, though I'd never recommend a mail order/dept store bike to anyone who doesn't wrench proficiently. It would be great for someone to learn on, or for a second/wife's fatbike for an experienced rider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    for those interested or on the fence - today only - Sports Authority 15% off all bikes and free shipping - puts this at $492.99 to your door (may inc tax if you live in a state with a store)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How was the Poker Run? It looked much soupier then last year, where I struggled riding a standard 29'er HT. Couldn't make it this year unfortunately. I was wondering how a fatty would fare in the conditions on the 18th. Love to hear the details.

mtbr member

mongoose Vinson

This is what I think about for some reason when I think about the vinson. I definitely would like to see one in person because for $500 it's looks decent.

Lol

mtbr member
    Triple D poker run was great. You're right, it was a wet muddy mess. Did the offroad between the start and Junction 21 and there wasn't enough snow... so everything got muddy and full of cowpie. By the end I think we had 1 of 6 derailleurs working, though with a spray of water that improved somewhat. From there the gravel roads were actually great between some of the poker stops. I think people who only did gravel roads to the stops had a really easy day. The Heritage trail, though, was about 1/2" of standing water. Despite waterproof tops, pants, boots within two miles everything was soaked. Durango Depot was a mess of soaking wet bikers and runners. Fortunately it was warm enough to not be miserable.

I don't think equipment quality had anything to do with it, there way no way to stay dry and at some point enough mud will slow any drivetrain. But, we had a 29er in our group and he was struggling pretty often. My 29er is much nicer than my fatbike, but it would have been a huge mistake to bring it unless you did no offroad, and even then the fatbike was an advantage on the heritage trail portion.

We kinda had to do the poker run due to the Packer game. Hopefully next year I can do the entire ride. 35 vs 67 miles is a lot, but I also sat and drank beer for 4 hours watching football.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugout Bikes View Post
    This is what I think about for some reason when I think about the vinson. I definitely would like to see one in person because for $500 it's looks decent.

Lol

If you think a BD is a rung up in quality I'd disagree. And this is coming from someone who's very happy with a Gravity 29er and looked to BD for a fatbike first. It was between this an a Boris for me, the winner should be obvious.

To be honest all the Fatbike people are just pretty happy to be out riding and nobody riding on a trail is going to care. The only people that were a bit frustrating were casual riders, snowshoers, people walking dogs that were interested in getting one for casual snow riding if they could do it cheap and when I'd go into the whole (no, not walmart but sports authority and you need new tires.. blah... blah) it got a bit old. If I didn't enjoy talking to people (and a fatbike does get a lot of attention) it wouldn't be an issue at all.

I didn't have a beef with the paint or graphics I've just always wanted a raw aluminum bike. I have a Trek in just clear that I think looks great. I didn't think the white/orange/blue was for me. But this is a YMMV sort of thing. The Vinson in raw looks awesome but it does take some time to get there. I wouldn't consider it work, though others might.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

vinson stand over

What's the stand over on the vinson?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJGT View Post
    What's the stand over on the vinson?
    I'm sorry, being tall that isn't something I pay much attention to when I look at bikes and so I don't really know how to measure the standover on a sloped tube. Even Sheldon Brown didn't help much. So, at the seattube toptube intersection it's 27.5in at the top of the top tube. Up at the head tube top tube intersection it's 35.5 at the top of the top tube. So I don't know, average that?

Keep in mind this is with stock tires. Larger tires could increase that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just bought a Vinson online from Sport Authority. $470 delivered, I'm pretty stoked. Ever since I knew I was moving to Madison, I've been thinking about adding a fatty to the quiver. I'm going to have a lot of trouble not adding a bunch of high buck parts to this bike. At the moment I am looking for some tire guidance perhaps tubeless info and a confirmation about the seatpost diameter.

I understand the stock Missions are kind of useless in the snow. There are some fairly inexpensive option out there, I can get a pair of Devist-8er ULs for ~$105 some wire bead (I hate wire bead) Panaracers for $80 or so, Snowshoes (not XLs), or maybe I can score some Floaters (though they are never in stock). Are any of these decent enough for some experimental snow rides? Has anyone tried split tub tubeless with these?

Also is the seatpost really 30.6mm? I have a 30.9mm Thomson Masterpiece sitting in a bin, I'd love to use it.

mtbr member
    I'm torn between the Vinson and a bikes direct bike. With the sports authority sale going on right now I can get it for $470 after sales tax and shipping. At the bottom of the home page you can sign up to get their emails and get an additional 10% off. Plus they have the 15% off with free shipping. Tough call...I'm between that or the gravity bullseye monster. Huge difference in rim size but other than that not much difference...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    I just bought a Vinson online from Sport Authority. $470 delivered, I'm pretty stoked. Ever since I knew I was moving to Madison, I've been thinking about adding a fatty to the quiver. I'm going to have a lot of trouble not adding a bunch of high buck parts to this bike. At the moment I am looking for some tire guidance perhaps tubeless info and a confirmation about the seatpost diameter.

I understand the stock Missions are kind of useless in the snow. There are some fairly inexpensive option out there, I can get a pair of Devist-8er ULs for ~$105 some wire bead (I hate wire bead) Panaracers for $80 or so, Snowshoes (not XLs), or maybe I can score some Floaters (though they are never in stock). Are any of these decent enough for some experimental snow rides? Has anyone tried split tub tubeless with these?

Also is the seatpost really 30.6mm? I have a 30.9mm Thomson Masterpiece sitting in a bin, I'd love to use it.
    First thing first, the seatpost really is 30.6mm. I didn't measure it, but it has that stamped on it.

As for tires, the stock mission controls are not terrible on a gravel road. They aren't for snow. The tires you mention aren't great either, the Panaracers are the lowest volume tire (217mm bead to bead and 3mm nubs) and Devist-8er's aren't a quality improvement either. Look at some 60tpi Nates, wait for the Floaters (mine come in on Monday) or spend the extra on something really good. I wouldn't buy the regular size snowshoe, the Bulldozer for just a bit more might work. Keep in mind a 5" tire will fit up front no problem. Maybe keep an eye on craigslist for a Bud or BFL or a used Nate (though ideally not the 27tpi version).

Sorry, not tubeless here.

If you really are going to throw high buck parts at it start with tires and brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    I'm torn between the Vinson and a bikes direct bike. With the sports authority sale going on right now I can get it for $470 after sales tax and shipping. At the bottom of the home page you can sign up to get their emails and get an additional 10% off. Plus they have the 15% off with free shipping. Tough call...I'm between that or the gravity bullseye monster. Huge difference in rim size but other than that not much difference...
    I'd agree, quality and spec wise they are similar but with a big difference in rim size. On the Vinson 100mm wheels the 4" mission controls only go about 3mm past the rim, there is no going smaller with these. If you go with the bullseye monster you probably can't go past the 4" tires to the next tier (BFL, Bulldozer, juggernaut 4.5.... etc). I think the BD would be better for year round mountain bike and the Vinson for a winter only ride. Another consideration might be your weight (and required tire volume). Have you considered the Boris X5?

Any which way you do it just get something and ride. It'll be Feb before you're on the trails now, every day you wait is wasted.

mtbr member
    I'd agree, quality and spec wise they are similar but with a big difference in rim size. On the Vinson 100mm wheels the 4" mission controls only go about 3mm past the rim, there is no going smaller with these. If you go with the bullseye monster you probably can't go past the 4" tires to the next tier (BFL, Bulldozer, juggernaut 4.5.... etc). I think the BD would be better for year round mountain bike and the Vinson for a winter only ride. Another consideration might be your weight (and required tire volume). Have you considered the Boris X5?

Any which way you do it just get something and ride. It'll be Feb before you're on the trails now, every day you wait is wasted.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not a small guy @ 5'-11" 220lbs. I checked out he Boris X5 too and it's definitely in the running. I have no intentions to make this a snow only bike, so I don't think that I'll "need" to go bigger than 4" tires. I live in central PA and our typical snowfalls are 2-4" at a time, we do have some larger storms but they're maybe 1 a season. My other bike is a 140mm trail bike and I feel like it's overkill for some hardpack/flow trails in the summer so I intend on riding the fat then.

The Boris X9 looks solid and seems to be the bike where you start to get into some nicer components (x7/x9/x5 cranks/bb7), but if I get to that price point I'm tempted to spend the extra $200 and get a monster pro with Bluto. So I basically have no idea what to do and no chance at riding/touching any of the bikes. I think if I had the bikes in front of me I could pick one in about 30 minutes. Decisions decisions....

I also don't feel like I'm in too much of a rush since I'm planning on riding the bike in all conditions. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible but I'd say my realistic budget without really pushing the envelope with my wife is about $700. I'm just kind of thinking out loud here since there are so many options and I assume a lot of people looking at these budget fatbike threads are fighting the same fight!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not a small guy @ 5'-11" 220lbs. I checked out he Boris X5 too and it's definitely in the running. I have no intentions to make this a snow only bike, so I don't think that I'll "need" to go bigger than 4" tires. I live in central PA and our typical snowfalls are 2-4" at a time, we do have some larger storms but they're maybe 1 a season. My other bike is a 140mm trail bike and I feel like it's overkill for some hardpack/flow trails in the summer so I intend on riding the fat then.

The Boris X9 looks solid and seems to be the bike where you start to get into some nicer components (x7/x9/x5 cranks/bb7), but if I get to that price point I'm tempted to spend the extra $200 and get a monster pro with Bluto. So I basically have no idea what to do and no chance at riding/touching any of the bikes. I think if I had the bikes in front of me I could pick one in about 30 minutes. Decisions decisions....

I also don't feel like I'm in too much of a rush since I'm planning on riding the bike in all conditions. I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible but I'd say my realistic budget without really pushing the envelope with my wife is about $700. I'm just kind of thinking out loud here since there are so many options and I assume a lot of people looking at these budget fatbike threads are fighting the same fight!
    One thing to consider with your height is the Vinson is a "one size fits all" - Medium. At least with a BD offering you can pick a size.

I bought one of the Vinsons as a gift for my uncle. I agree that the stock tires are worthless. The brake levers are garbage, so spend $15 for a pair of Avid levers. Finally, the SRAM X4 derailleur will also work, but it has steel parts which may rust over time.
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Could someone who has the Vinson measure the seat tube? I measured all the tubes and angles in Photoshop, but I need an absolute length to calibrate those measurements. Once I have that, I can post up the geometry, since I haven't been able to find any info on the geometry. Also, if you do measure the seat tube length, can you let me know if it is center-to-center or top to center? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    If anyone wishes to sell their stock Vee Missions tires , send me a PM on how much you want for the pair , shipped to Arkansas . I want to put them on my Dolomite. If the price is right, I can pay thru pay-pal and save you the time of listing on ebay and paying their 13% fees.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Could someone who has the Vinson measure the seat tube? I measured all the tubes and angles in Photoshop, but I need an absolute length to calibrate those measurements. Once I have that, I can post up the geometry, since I haven't been able to find any info on the geometry. Also, if you do measure the seat tube length, can you let me know if it is center-to-center or top to center? Thanks!
    70hta
    73 sta
    610mm horizontal top tube
    587mm actual top tube
    432mm seat tube canter to top, -50mm center to center
    135mm headtube
    462mm axle to crown
    45mm rake
    1142 wheel base
    60mm bb drop
    473mm chainstay
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for one-upping me, skota!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ha, saved you some work

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

on one floaters comment

Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    ha, saved you some work
    Dear bepperb, thanks so much for all your comments, very much appreciated by this newbie! anyway, just had my local bike shop install a pair of on one floaters on my Vinson today after less than 20 miles on the missions. (as mentioned, missions a bit squirrely in snow). I watched LBS install and they did mention on one's seemed not as wide as ideal prior to filling with air on the 100mm rims, and had to add a bit of soap to get proper tire depth all around rim. LBS filled to 20psi and said all was good and seated fine. I cant wait to try them out, but most snow has melted in Chicago area, Ill just ride around town. thanks again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Raw frame photos

That's awesome someone else will be at the Birkie with a Vinson, I will as well.

I might be hard to find though, as frame is stripped and raw aluminum now. Assembly/disassembly was as basic as it gets. Frame with only headset cups was under 5lbs. Fork was light and has aluminum steerer, too. Only real letdowns were the bottom bracket is pretty heavy (as would be expected of a square taper this size) and has no protection for the bearings, which aren't replaceable even though they are standard 6002rs size. IIRC it was 390 grams without bolts. The x4 derailleur has steel cage and steel bushings which aren't great for a winter bike. Not dissapointed enough with those two things to do any proactive replacement. Despite reports of Dolomites starved of grease that was not the case with any part of my Vinson. The pics of the Mongoose Argus had a gusseted frame, my bike doesn't have gussets. Otherwise this is a nice frame that could be built into anything, I don't see why this couldn't weigh 30 lbs if you spent enough on upgrades (I'm not advising that).

My rear brakes seem to have broken in nicely and have B for power and A- for modulation. My fronts have not and are terrible in both regards. I might take my rotor to some glass/sandpaper and see if that's the problem. I find it hard to believe any grease wouldn't have been burned off by miles of wet gravel spray. So we're on a wait-and-see if I keep them.

OnOne Floater tires and new tubes arrive Monday, but bike is back together and made it around the house yesterday (always interesting to disassemble/reassemble and see what is tweaked, but in my case even the derailleur's didn't need any adjustment).

Still, with a total of 499 for bike, 105 for tires and 14 for Aircraft Remover this bike is a fantastic value. Even though it is very easy to work on I've really only recommended it to people with bicycling experience, though I'd never recommend a mail order/dept store bike to anyone who doesn't wrench proficiently. It would be great for someone to learn on, or for a second/wife's fatbike for an experienced rider.
    Can you post some photos of that raw frame Vinson? Sounds cool! I've got a Specialized M2 from the 90s that is a raw frame and I like the look a lot!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    For anyone that is looking for fat bike tires and their weights, heres a link that may help you.

Tire Weights for Fat-Bikes | FAT-BIKE.COM

This would be nice to have a website that also lists the fatbike tubes and their weights.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Will the Argus ever be available? Where will it be sold? Medium Vinson is too small!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman93 View Post
    Will the Argus ever be available? Where will it be sold? Medium Vinson is too small!
    The Argus is coming. I rode two of them this past weekend and man, here's the deal. The Argus has better welds, and much nicer components over the Vinson, which was really well thought out. The Argus will come in at $999 and it's worth every penny. The Vinson is still a solid bike, but the components on the Argus are just nicer.

Either bike gets you in the game, but the Argus will be a world beater when people see what it is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I like what I've seen of the Argus online so far. Wonder if it will be sold at Sports Authority, *****, and MC Sports like the Vinson? I'm guessing there will be plenty of sale opportunities at those retailers, so maybe....$750-$900.

mtbr member

Raw Aluminum Mongoose Vinson

Quote Originally Posted by jfaust97 View Post
    Can you post some photos of that raw frame Vinson? Sounds cool! I've got a Specialized M2 from the 90s that is a raw frame and I like the look a lot!
    Sure. This is the first bike I've had that was a good candidate, though I have another that is mostly silver aluminum with clear. If I did this again it would be a lot easier in summer when a pressure washer is available, doubt I'd do it in the garage again:

mongoose Vinson-img_20150122_073755.jpgmongoose Vinson-img_20150122_073612.jpgmongoose Vinson-img_20150119_191648.jpg

Sorry, should be action shots of me jumping a bengal tire with a topless chick on the rack, but my rack is seatpost mounted... can't handle the weight... these will have to do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you have mounting points in the drop out area you can use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/M-Wave-Clamp-l...sin=B001V537I0

I use one on my Chiner 29er commuter and it works really well. I use the Topeak Voyager for disk brakes with Ortlieb panniers and everything has help up. I immagine this setup would work on the Vinson.

I'll know better when mine arrives.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm sorry, being tall that isn't something I pay much attention to when I look at bikes and so I don't really know how to measure the standover on a sloped tube. Even Sheldon Brown didn't help much. So, at the seattube toptube intersection it's 27.5in at the top of the top tube. Up at the head tube top tube intersection it's 35.5 at the top of the top tube. So I don't know, average that?

Keep in mind this is with stock tires. Larger tires could increase that.
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Been lurking for months and months....and figured it was worthy of my first post

Just scored a vinson from sports authority delivered after all rebates and discounts $405 plus tax figured at that price couldn't go wrong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerko View Post
    Been lurking for months and months....and figured it was worthy of my first post

Just scored a vinson from sports authority delivered after all rebates and discounts $405 plus tax figured at that price couldn't go wrong
    How did you manage that?
    I bike with tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sure. This is the first bike I've had that was a good candidate, though I have another that is mostly silver aluminum with clear. If I did this again it would be a lot easier in summer when a pressure washer is available, doubt I'd do it in the garage again:
    Looks great!
    What did you use to strip the paint?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cardnation View Post
    How did you manage that?
    Sports authority free shipping 15% off sale 10% for signing up for something and a few discounts from ebates that added up to another 6-7% ( need to thank my wife for that)

Went riding here on Long Island yesterday on my 29er ... The slushy chunky mix was tuff hopefully this bikes floats over it. a lot of people talk about how awfully the tires are what's the consensus on best up grade for the buck?

mtbr member
    It took a can and a half of Rustoleum "aircraft remover" in a rattle can from Menards. You can probably find "aircraft stripper" anywhere that will do the job. I did remove everything from the frame except the headset cups (which were pressed in and not easy to remove). The disassembly takes longer than the paint removal.

Search the forum for "raw aluminum" and you can read for days, I'm far from the first person to do this. But, you don't see many raw fat bikes since it takes a special kind of person to take a new bike and strip it, this is generally something you do with a bike with totally trashed paint.

mtbr member
    Sports authority free shipping 15% off sale 10% for signing up for something and a few discounts from ebates that added up to another 6-7% ( need to thank my wife for that)

Went riding here on Long Island yesterday on my 29er ... The slushy chunky mix was tuff hopefully this bikes floats over it. a lot of people talk about how awfully the tires are what's the consensus on best up grade for the buck?
    If you can get them the OnOne floaters can be had from the US planet x site for 105 a pair. Another good option will be the Kenda Juggernaut 4.5, which won't be out until mid March, but around 65 bucks a tire. The Juggernaut 4.0 is out now, probably not a good snow tire (2 and 3mm lugs vs 5 and 6mm lugs on the 4.5). IMO the Fat B Nimble is probably too small for the 100mm rims. That's about it for good, cheap fat tires (for now). My Floaters arrive today, 105 for the pair (shipped) and I can probably sell the missions for 50/pair, so it's a pretty easy decision to make.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Wow, that's a good price! Cheaper than black Friday price. It might be worth buying at that price. Anyone 6'3" ride one of these Medium frames? It's quite a bit smaller than my XL 29er mountain bike frame. Wish they had at least a 19 inch frame size with a 24.5 inch ETT. I guess a really long stem and layback seat post could help.

mtbr member
    I rode my Dads after I built it. Fit me fine. I think a stem and handlebar change is all you would need. I took it home and built it myself on black friday.
    2014 Singular Gryphon
    2013 C-Dale F29 Alloy 2, CAAD10 105
    2005 Jamis Dakar XC Expert
    2014 Framed Minn. 3.0 Bluto

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My friend bought a vinson two months ago and he put it thru the ringer .he bashes stuff and doesn't care.the only thing that broke on the vinson so far is one brake lever and he rides it a lot.I got to ride it and I liked it so I just bought one from the sports authority via ebay last week should be here tomorrow. 490.00 and some change total. there are just a few things Ill change like the not so good brake levers, stem, its too long for me saddle, riser bars and seatpost.any advice on the seatpost as only bbb uk brand post ,Thomson ,and kalloy uno is available for odd size of 30.6 seatpost ? are shims safe to convert to a normal size ? sorry to ramble on but what is the seat post clamp collar size as I want a fixed one not quick release.also why no respect from bike magazines for this super valued sleeper of a great fat bike. you only see mongoose argus articles. love the custom raw framed vinson ! thanks.

mtbr member
    The seatpost clamp is labeled 35 but 34.9 is a standard size I'm sure will fit. For the post you might consider a shim, they have a lip and I don't see any safety issue, epecially if you're using a non qur clamp. I'm not sure I'd spend a lot of money on a seatpost unless you're getting a suspension post. For weight reduction there are a lot of other places to look first.

I still haven't done anything about the brakes, debating between new levers or just new everything, since there isn't a huge difference in price.

Put the On One Floaters last night, difference in traction is night and day. That should be your first upgrade, IMO, unless you ride gravel roads or all hardpack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    thanks for your time and help. tires will also be on my list .

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

mongoose vinson just dropped off by ups

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFAT29 View Post
    thanks for your time and help. tires will also be on my list .
    the vinson just got here .slapped it together to get it out of the way .Ill adjust everything and might get to ride it later.under the bike are some upgrades so far to put on still waiting for wtb saddle, ritchey seatpost, seatpost shim,seatpost clamp and 80 mm ritchey stem.I have had some bikes in all my years but this bike by far is the best bang for the buck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mongoose Vinson-872.jpg  

mongoose Vinson-884.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Mine is supposed to arrive today. Quite stoked. I will weigh a few parts as a I substitute. Hopefully split tube tubeless with the HuDus.

Dilligaf
    Apr 2010
    Sent you a message, I have all those coupons but can't get them to stack, think you can help a fat and broke brother out? Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CruJonez View Post
    Sent you a message, I have all those coupons but can't get them to stack, think you can help a fat and broke brother out? Thanks
    Ok.... Asked the boss how she did it
    15% from sports authority
    Google sports authority promo codes, might have to try a few different ones
    Join ebates and get additional cash back

HTH
    Should have my vinson tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I swapped tires on the rims last night. I weighed everything and will post numbers later. I'm going to try to do a tubeless conversion, but the rim bead shape does not look like it lends itself to tubeless. The new tires did not "POP" onto the beads when I put tubes in to stretch them out. I also converted to 10 speed, put some Velo Orange Casey's Crazy bars on, and added a pdw Mud Shovel front fender. I'll get everything buttoned up soon and give a ride report on the new Bulldozer tires and post pictures.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Started putting mine together last night. My 24" tubes were too narrow for tubeless. I ordered some wider tubes, I'll probably get them next week. Also the seatpost is too short as is on of my brakelines (I'm using soem exlixir CRs I had laying around).

I did manage to mount the HuDus and get alot of other stuff done. Should eb good for a ride by Saturday AM.

mtbr member
    slowride that sounds great.

I'm trying to keep up, OnOne Floaters installed which required soapy water and still aren't seated 100%. Ibera large frame bag from Amazon (barely fits, or fits perfect IMO). Waiting on brake levers and parts for fork mounted bottle cage. Drivetrain improvements will probably wait until crankset or BB wear out... or prices of 1x fat cranks come way down. The 40t chainring is absurd on this bike. Single 24 /26 front with 11/36 in back sounds great to me.

mongoose Vinson-img_20150128_181729a.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'd like to see if I could find chainrings to run 20/28/36 up front with the 11-36 in back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm thinking bash guard. I've had bad run ins with the big ring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

1 x 10

I'm thinking bash guard. I've had bad run ins with the big ring.
    I think I my go 1 x 10 with shimano XT stuff I have on hand. I think a 30t with a 64 bcd chainring mounted in the middle Absoluteblack - Sram Spiderless, Oval chainrings and more would be perfect with a 11 x 36t cassette.

But for tires I cannot seem to decide. Foaters, h-billie, dillinger, snowshoe?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was supposed to race on Saturday, but family obligations will now prevent that. Maybe I can get out on Sunday so I can give a proper review of the Vee Bulldozers, brake lever upgrade, and 8X to 10X conversion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I might get to race tomorrow, but I broke a cardinal sin last night. I changed the drivetrain to 10x right before a race. The shifting up front is very hard to fine tune with the 8x FD. I adjusted the cage, limits, cable tension, you name it. It still is not optimal, so I'll be picking up an XT 3x10 e-type FD in a few hours. I'll get a new chain too, since the one I was working with last night had seen better days on my CX bike. The bike looks much more aggressive with the Bulldozers mounted up. I'll try to remember to post pics and some of the component weights soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    nice upgrades Slowride454!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    First post here. Just ordered a Vinson. Sports authority has free shipping and 15% off $579 price until midnight tonight. $492.99

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Finally finished my build (at least for the moment)

I added quite a few new things. X-9 triggers and rear der (Pretty much on it's last legs though) elixir CR brakes. New bars and seatpost, Charge Spoon saddle and a used set of HuDus. The weight is at 33lbs 11oz. The front triple is, as others have noted, worthless. I ill never use the 40 and might not use the 20. But the BCD is non-standard and there are really no bash guards available. I would love a blue Raceface turbine.

mongoose Vinson-p1000646.jpg

I took it out for a ride today with my 9 year old daughter. After I put more air in the HuDus to get rid of self steer. the ride was nice. We rode behind the local school in a snowy area traction was abundant but not as spectacular as I expected. I think the sweet spot for pressure has not been achieved.

mtbr member
    are the hubs sealed on these bikes? do they sell small then 18inch size?
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Loose bearing hubs 1 size fits all

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I probably just missed it, but has anyone taken one of these on some single track (either snow or dirt)? How've the been holding up?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Have about 200 miles on mine, about half singletrack the rest on snowcovered roads. 24 miles Friday all singletrack. I've been pretty hard on it but it's holding up well. Bent the seatpost clamp lever being an idiot and replaced it. Re-greased rear hub after it felt gravelly and drive side had some dirt/mud in it. It might have been fully submerged at one point... but nondrive side grease was still clear. I assume some dirt just made it past the seal and will keep an eye on it. Standard cup and cone so rebuild took all of 15 minutes. Replaced the balls on that side since I had some handy.

All in all it's held up pretty well, IMO.mongoose Vinson-img_20150130_110343%5B1%5D.jpgmongoose Vinson-img_20150130_111117%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Awesome. Really think I'm gonna pick one up. That frame bag looks like it fit's perfectly!

Funny you mention the hubs, I just noticed the fact that they are loose ball. You're right, shouldn't be bad at all to service them when needed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Any Luck converting to tubeless? i tried with the original tires with no luck . I now have a bud in front and a bulldozer in the back and have not had time to try. Tires are loose on these rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I haven't tried yet. I taped them up and put the Bulldozers on with tubes for now. The tires were very loose and I did not get any pop or indication the bead seated solidly. I'm not looking forward to taking the tubes out and making a big mess with Stan's juice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm hoping to try with split tubes this weekend. Additional parts are on their way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm hoping to try with split tubes this weekend. Additional parts are on their way.
    Great let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    I got some bulldozers coming.How are the stock tubes?Are there tubes for tires over 4 wide

mtbr member
    Stock tubes will work on your bulldozers no problem. 4" tubes are no problem in a 4.5/4.7/4.8 tire. I'm running 3.5" tubes in my 4" floaters but they only saved me IIRC 40 grams, not worth it. I didn't want smaller tubes like qtubes or bontrager 2.7 because then you can't patch, but that's also an option to save weight. Tubes stretch to whatever tire they are in, the only real issue is patches don't (and I suppose if you push it too far it will split on a seam, though I haven't seen it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I still have the stock tubes. My guess is they are heavy, plus I am not fan of schraeder valves.

I was perusing cranks on ebay, but I am quite leery about fit. There are some raceface ride cranks pretty cheap, but they don't include the bottom bracket, or likely spacers. The seller says they'll fit both 170 and 190 but I have serious doubts. Besides, I've likely dumped too much money into this bike already ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Anyone have a feeling for what hanger works on this bike. I always like to have a spare around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Bah! So after finally reading the 'entire' thread, I see that 4.7/8 is just a bit tight in the back.

I'm not crazy about 4" tires on 100mm rims, but it can't be that bad.

Now to see if I can track down some used Larry's (for pavement).
    Last edited by Shinkers; 02-04-2015 at 07:55 PM.

mtbr member
    You guys mentioned tires being loose on the rims has me kinda worried. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when they get here.Any tips,this will be my first time swapping tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Bah! So after finally reading the 'entire' thread, I see that 4.7/8 is just a bit tight in the back.

I'm not crazy about 4" tires on 100mm rims, but it can't be that bad.

Now to see if I can track down some used Larry's (for pavement).
    Where did you get that idea? If anything 4.8 would be tight with the chain it would fit the frame no problem. But 4.7 all day. Get big fat larrys on both wheels if you want. Fwiw I have 3/8 between the chain and 4in floater in lowest gear.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast