mtbr member

New question here. Mongoose Malus upgrade questions

Hi everyone

I'm a long time rider but 100% new to the Fat Tire scene so looking for a few pointers and tips.

I'm Looking at getting a Mongoose Malus (getting it super cheap and still new). This wont be my main off road bike, just looking to add a new fun ride to my collection.

Here is what Id like to know:

1) What Shimano gearing can I get on the back without any hub/wheels mods? 8, 9, 10 etc? (I want to keep a single on the front)

2) Are the stock cranks any good? If not I was looking at some Shimano SLX or Race Face ones. Thoughts?

3) Do the handlebars, stem or seat post need changing other than to save a couple of ounces or are they decent enough?

Thanks for any info you have or any other hints & tips related to the Malus

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    1) Its a freewheel hub. You're limited to swapping in another freewheel, of which sunrace offers some wider range models meant for E-bikes that'd expand the gearing and fit inside the space available in the frame and the end of the hub. These would give better intermediate steps than trying to use a 13-34 7 speed freewheel. You'll need a new shifter with the freewheel but you could keep the same derailleur if its an 8 speed, a new shifter and chain for nine, and a new shifter, chain and derailleur for 10 speeds. I used a 13-34 8s on one of the Costco fats but there's also a 11-32 9 speed one and a 11-36 10 speed one. SunRace in fact is the only company to offer 9/10 speed freewheels, and does so by having a splined freewheel body that threads onto the hub as normal, then the cogs slide onto it like a normal cassette does to a freehub body, with a lockring that threads into the freewheel mechanism.

SunRace | Products

2) stock cranks are crap, in fact the whole bike is crap and its not worth spending money to upgrade at all unless you're paying wholesale or less, or already own a bunch of parts to upgrade with. This is the bottom of the barrel for geared Fats. The frame doesn't have a 100mm BB shell, its an oddball 105mm... so there's no aftermarket easy route to better BBs or cranks. You essentially have to take a set of sealed loose ball cups, use better bearings and grease, and get a pair of square taper cranks which will take a replaceable chainring.

3) see above... the bar and stem is heavy and uncomfortable. The headset is an unsealed steel cup and bearing affair as you'd see on your typical $100 walmart bike.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Great info. Thanks very much. Sounds like I should give it a miss & just drop 500-1000 on a better complete or build one from the frame up.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Bret View Post
    Great info. Thanks very much. Sounds like I should give it a miss & just drop 500-1000 on a better complete or build one from the frame up.
    If you've got that coin to spend, very much so. Significantly more bang for your buck, a lot less hassle, easier to ride and more fun.
    I'm OP of the Dolomite thread, where you should read the latest post, and the few before it.
    The Dolo in the (semi) wild - Mongoose Dolomite

And it's not just 26" fat anymore. Consider 27+ and 29. Not sure that's doable for $1000.

There is Where are the 2018 Mongoose Argus bikes at? , but it's early for that bike. And it may not be the best choice for your use or for your $, nor for resale if you decide to upgrade to an even better bike down the line.
    You'll have to do some research.
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Bret View Post
    Read the thread on the GMC Yukon "bargain" bike project. You can draw your own conclusions.

Look for a nice couple year old Pugs or Mukluk in the $700-$900 range.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The costco new low thread... that northrock is at least a very nice and light fat frame for the money and worth upgrading.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    The Argus for under $1k is a pretty good deal for a starter fatty that ticks most of the boxes off the rack

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Read the thread on the GMC Yukon "bargain" bike project. You can draw your own conclusions.
    Here's the thread that I started on that subject: GMC Yukon - Kent 52618

What we've learned is that if you want to run 5" tires tubeless at low pressure on the beach or snow, it's going to cost ~ $1,000. Whether you build up to it or buy it at the outset.

Have fun and ride often!
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's