mtbr member

Mongoose fat bike fans

Hey Mongoose fat bike fans. I'm working on a new project for the YouTube channel. This time I'm creating a Mongoose Mini-series, covering a bunch of aspects of the Mongoose fat bikes, and what can be done to keep them riding tip top.

Check out the mini-series here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPk9...pYWJhvJh3oH6oS

I'm trying to make this channel into something worthwhile, so if you have any suggestions let me know. If you like it, please subscribe. It'll help me get closer to getting new products, bikes, gear, etc to review and work with.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    This is a neat video series. Thanks for the effort!

mtbr member
    Really nicely done videos, and three cheers for being creative and innovative with the Mongoose!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Cool good luck, my son has one I let him know maybe he'll join

FB&H rider
    Shoot, not tempted to buy a Walgoose, but enjoyed the videos! Nice job!
    2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler MBS "Sir Fatsalot"
    2018 Kona Wozo "Adipose Rex"

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Please don't promote this mechanically challenged and potentially dangerous bicycle. You're going to spend more money in the first 3 months torturing your mechanic than you spent to begin with. These bikes are assembled by walmart or walmart quality employees often with no bike knowledge. They are built with the absolute worst quality components. 1 beach ride without immediate post ride maintenance and the bike will be a throw away. This is the epitome of too cheap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I have to say I disagree, I actually have one and I love mine Iíve upgraded some components and Iím still going and Iím not even at $400.00 yet. Parts matter the frame is steel and solid Iím a big guy this bike supports me great. Iíve road expensive bikes and didnít feel as supported or comfortable. Is it perfect out the box? No but I donít find to many things that are I love to personalize things and make them my own, this is a risk free way to do that. When itís all said and done the parts make the difference and will determine the level of quality. If thereís one thing Iíve learned itís that you donít have to have the most expensive car on the lot for it to do what you need it do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You're definitely their target consumer. I bet you drive a late 80s mustang and think that's sweet 2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Actually I drive a 2013 Cadillac CTS-V coupe most days. Lol.. but I have other options as well!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pbbreath View Post
    You're definitely their target consumer. I bet you drive a late 80s mustang and think that's sweet 2.
    Really? Is that necessary?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Just imagine how cheap every single part on your bike has to be for them to retail for $300? The retailer makes $100. Shipping has to be $50 even slowest boat and cheapest truck from China to the store. Mongoose or whomever ownes them now makes $50. So for optimistically $100 what can China build? Crap. That's what. Total crap. It's a miracle really, if you forgive the abuse of people actually building them. To make all of those complex parts no matter how poorly including paint graphics and assembly. For $100.

The retail price of 1 quality fat bike... Tire.

But I'm sure you're right.

mtbr member
    Some amazingly rude responses here. Innovation and problem solving turned the A.C. Ace into the Cobra, and the '87 Mustang GT ushered in the era of the modern muscle car. Judging people by the price of what they buy rather than on their joy from it is utterly missing the forest for the trees and betrays values this country should never espouse.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Well said!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pbbreath View Post
    Just imagine how cheap every single part on your bike has to be for them to retail for $300? The retailer makes $100. Shipping has to be $50 even slowest boat and cheapest truck from China to the store. Mongoose or whomever ownes them now makes $50. So for optimistically $100 what can China build? Crap. That's what. Total crap. It's a miracle really, if you forgive the abuse of people actually building them. To make all of those complex parts no matter how poorly including paint graphics and assembly. For $100.

The retail price of 1 quality fat bike... Tire.

But I'm sure you're right.
    Did some guy on a Domolite steal your girlfriend or something?

I think bikes in general are way over priced. Look how much production was moved from the US to China and Taiwan. The prices donít seem to have gone down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So I picked up a Race Face turbine crankset for 40.00 the B.B. doesnít fit but I really just wanted the arms as they were regularly close to 200.00 bucks. Does anyone know the B.B. size on the hitch right now I have the BSA cup set if I donít update the B.B. to the turbine and use it for ride tracking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleRyder View Post
    So I picked up a Race Face turbine crankset for 40.00 the B.B. doesnít fit but I really just wanted the arms as they were regularly close to 200.00 bucks. Does anyone know the B.B. size on the hitch right now I have the BSA cup set if I donít update the B.B. to the turbine and use it for ride tracking.
    115mm from what I read here (some good details you may want to read):

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-fatbike-bbshd
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Well, it's been a while since I first posted this. I'm happy to report that the Hitch is still going strong. I've done several videos since this one, and it's been a lot of fun. Strange enough... I never received any updates on this post, so I figured it had just disappeared.

To those who think the Hitch is an awful bike, I suggest you stop reading this and move to the next post, because I love this bike and will continue to have fun with it. I've ridden it with folks on all types of bikes from other Mongooses (Mongeese?) to folks on several thousand dollar Konas/Treks/etc. I've receive a lot of compliments on the bike, the upgrades done, and the pricetag. Some haters too, but I guess that's a part of just about any bike group nowadays... I have yet to see a single bike below $1000 that receives no scowl at all. Is it the most impressive and highest performing bike available? No, it isn't. Does it fit the bill to keep me interested in riding through the winter? ABSOLUTELY! Does it do what I need it to? You betcha!

https://youtu.be/uDo2dNw0Gqs

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Hi,

I have a Mongoose Malus, 200 bucks.

I wanted to try a fat tire bike to see if the bug would bite for a better one....

It Did.

But, THe Mongoose Malus really is a great value.

Cheapppppppppp parts...yes..

You MUST launch the shifter for an ALTUS 7 AND get the Megarange cassette. I put a 3" extension on the handlebar riser, also. Stole a better (springy) seat from a junker , too.

I ride it all over. I dont care that you could not/should not take it to Whistler or any other downhill park .....you would be killed, because the disc brakes are not up to snuff for that.

I am going to end up with a Motebecane Sturgis or Ti...for sure.

In the meantime , this is going to be a great beater.

One question for anyone who has one of these....I like the tires, but want to go bigger before I upgrade later this summer.

What is the biggest anyone has put on one these Mongeese?? It looks like a Maxxis Minnion 4.8 would be a tight fit.....

Never mind the haters here, they are on every board. I had a 3speed 302 Maverick that was a Vette killer.

I know what I am going to end up with...but until then I will have fun playing with a cheapy and tinkering.

mtbr member
    I have a cheap Mongoose fat bike. I wouldn't ride hilly trails with it, but it is fine for riding on the beach.
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Nice work on the videos.

Ignore the haters. Likely any one of them has never seen or ridden one. They didnít like my GMC Yukon either.

Enjoy your bike and have fun!
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Anyone put 4.8's on a Goose?

mtbr member
    A ridding buddy has a Vinson with a Snowshoe XL 4.8 in the back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    nice videos! iv'e been riding my upgraded dolomite for about 2 months now, and the rims are still dead straight after doing drops and such, so your getting a good bike for the money. i got kinda inspired to upgrade my dolomite thanks to you, but i decided to go with red, because the red one surprisingly had better parts, so always watch out for stuff like that!

mtbr member
    Awesome! I don't mind the haters... and to be fair, there have been substantially more positive people surrounding this whole project! I haven't decided whether I'm done for now, or if I'm going to keep doing stuff to it... I guess only time will tell. For now, I'm enjoying winter trails.

As far as tires, I stuck with 4.0's on mine, but I'm pretty sure you could go quite a bit bigger, at least in the front. Rear might be a bit tight for much more than a 4.0. Haven't attempted anything larger as of yet though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    4.8 Snowshoe Studded was a bit too big for the rear on my Malus (steel frame). Top rails plenty of clearance, but it was pinched at the bottom brackets just enough to rub the outer lugs......a quick braze and spread would do it..........

darn.