Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 454
  1. #101
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    Sorry, not worth the time to dignify something this out-to-lunch with a response. I am done. You get the last word!
    Does the logic of a solid business plan defy you ?

  2. #102
    will rant for food
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,637
    bikeabuser, you seem passionately committed to this topic.

    And, well, I've had a few tonight, so I'm going to respond.

    You're saying that Walmart will force a price reduction in fat bikes by offering a lower cost option.

    You're saying that this might cause existing bike marketers to go out of business if they don't compete with Taiwan et al.

    You're saying "we" are being a bunch of elitists.

    There are areas of truth in some places, but your insistence that these notions are absolutely true is a bit much.

    Full disclosure, I grew up lower-middle class. I thought I was poor; ha, yeah right. I was not poor. Shoes, food, a junker car - I was wealthy! But being able to afford cool ass bikes? Man I wish. How many miles I put on a Trek 830, I have no idea, lots.

    Now, I'm a software engineer (lol, hubris title inflation), and have a generous enough means to provide for myself plus buy a fancy toy once or twice a year. And I do, because I can.

    What I'm getting at is I remember identify with the desire for something affordable that works but doesn't necessarily have bells and whistles. Totally get it.

    What Walmart doesn't have, and has been repeatedly pointed out, is support. What do most people (i.e. NOT YOU) want when they go to buy a bike? Service. Customer support. The LBS provides it. The LBS needs support from manufacturers / marketers, which they in turn provide to a cyclist. This is a gross over simplification on my part, but by and large people will buy bikes like they buy cars.

    Some will buy bargain cars and work on it themselves. Others - a lot of others - will pay a premium for nicer cars that they pay a mechanic to work on.

    And one person is not necessarily the same in all things. I drive a 95 Mazda four banger. 200k miles. I don't *ever* want a car payment, and I annoy my mechanic occasionally to keep it alive. When I buy a new computer, I get the most all out crazy thing beyond what I really need it for.

    !!! NONE OF THIS has to do with fat bikes !!!

    Regarding competing with the Taiwan segment - well, read above. There's no customer support there. If you want to buy ______ bike from Taiwan at a much reduced cost and then work on it yourself because you can -- dude, do it! You aren't hurting my feelings, and you're probably a type of customer that a LBS loathes to interact with anyway. I'm not calling you names here or deriding you, please realize that. There are some people to make money from, and others not so much.

    This Walmart fat bike exists because Walmart saw that fat bikes exist, and thought, "Hey, why not make a few bucks here, too?"

    Okay. Why not? And -- I really hope for someone out there, they benefit in terms of having a "wow, these things are really cool... maybe I really should save up a long time for a more fleshed out rig in the future". That would be great. When I got my first fat bike (used), it was hard to find one just to test ride, no one seemed to have them. Now you can get one for $200 just to see if it's viable to you.

    The reviews that have come in are mixed. Tough call - the majority of reviewers I am at least somewhat familiar with their other opinions, and I value their input. So?...

    SO WHAT, dude. Ride your bike. Enjoy it. I want you to. You are, however, plainly incorrect about Walmart / eBay / etc putting shops and big box companies out of business (if anything, fatties have been good for what is usually the LBS seasonal sales slump - some of my local shops have adapted by being diverse in what they sell year round). Yes - there is some price gouging going on in there. But you don't have to deal with it if you are sufficiently motivated.

    Have you ever seen a person defend to the death a concept they really WANT to be true? Much more passionate, they are, than about topics which anyone pretty much knows to be true.

    I think there are more people in here warning that one might be unsatisfied with the performance of a Walmart fatty, than there are people being elitist pricks.

    Didn't this same brou ha ha happen with 29ers - and now no one gives a ****?

    BTW. I shop at Walmart. Super Tech synthetic 5W 30. It's the SAME stuff as Mobil, but at a lower price. I go in, get the stuff, buy the filter because it's there, and I leave. Personally, I don't need customer service. But it's the SAME oil. If the SAME fully built fully-equipped bikes were sold at Walmart as can be had in an LBS, yeah, I might go buy it there.

    Customer service, man. You are, flatly, incorrect that Surly / Trek / whomever is going out of business because of this bike. Hell, Surly has answered my questions in the past in situations where they stood to gain no money from me. It made me like them, and motivated me to give them my money.

    That is a sustainable business model. Not everything is dollar signs.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

  3. #103
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    ^^^ The implication is for a chain of events ... When the $500-800 suppliers start doing what Mongoose, via Walmart, has just done, you'll understand that this niche market has ended.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    24

    Mongoose Beast review etc.... Walmart Fatty!

    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    ^^^ The implication is for a chain of events ... When the $500-800 suppliers start doing what Mongoose, via Walmart, has just done, you'll understand that this niche market has ended.
    Completely not true. Give Mongoose the benefit of the doubt in that they thought this through and felt this strategy was worthy and wouldn't cannibalize their current higher priced market. It's all about the market and the target demographic. Think of it this way: Lexus luxury cars aren't made for Toyota drivers. Toyota drivers aren't going to spend the money for what Lexus brings to the table. Lexus drivers want the "extras" that come with the Higher price. That's why they serve two target demographics.

    On the other side, Mercedes isn't lowering their prices because people are buying Toyotas. And, let's say that some of the other companies do begin following Mongoose down the Walmart trail. That doesn't mean that the $500-800 bikes go away. It would mean that they introduce new lines to serve those markets. Again, think of Mercedes. Their selection of vehicles range from $30K to $100K+. Looks like they're selling plenty of vehicles at both ends of the spectrum.

  5. #105
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyk76 View Post
    Completely not true. Give Mongoose the benefit of the doubt in that they thought this through and felt this strategy was worthy and wouldn't cannibalize their current higher priced market. It's all about the market and the target demographic. Think of it this way: Lexus luxury cars aren't made for Toyota drivers. Toyota drivers aren't going to spend the money for what Lexus brings to the table. Lexus drivers want the "extras" that come with the Higher price. That's why they serve two target demographics.

    On the other side, Mercedes isn't lowering their prices because people are buying Toyotas. And, let's say that some of the other companies do begin following Mongoose down the Walmart trail. That doesn't mean that the $500-800 bikes go away. It would mean that they introduce new lines to serve those markets. Again, think of Mercedes. Their selection of vehicles range from $30K to $100K+. Looks like they're selling plenty of vehicles at both ends of the spectrum.
    What I meant was that we might soon see a $500-800 FatBike that is darn near equal to the current crop of +$1500 FatBikes.

    Other than a few obvious differences, like rims/tires/BB a Surly/Salsa FB isn't much different than a $500-800 MTB ... Well, except for the fact that the MTB probably has a suspension fork.

  6. #106
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    lol, good on mongoose for making a fat bike for 200 bucks lol, i love seeing the pressure on the big boys that sell theres for 2.5k, just too funny..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  7. #107
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    lol, good on mongoose for making a fat bike for 200 bucks lol, i love seeing the pressure on the big boys that sell theres for 2.5k, just too funny..
    Pacific Cycles ... Biggest player on the planet

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    273
    I've never said that the walgoose is as good as a surly, salsa etc... But I am pro walgoose. I think it's a decent bike for 200 bucks. the Tommisea single speed like it is 600 bucks. the Sun Spider is 700 bucks. So it gives someone an affordable option. You can't get a geared fatty for under a 1000 unless it's used. Now after talking to some reps at Pacific Cycles dont be surpirsed in 6-12 months when you see a mongoose MTB fatty, its going to happen. The 379 buck 29er FS goose is actually a decent bike for the money, It has the full SRAM X4 set on it. And if you swapped the rear shock out it would be a really nice XC bike. I don't know anyone who buys a Walmart bike and expects it to do everything a 1500+ bike can do. I do think there should be one thread covering this as to not clutter up the forum as it seems to bother some people, but as far as not discussing it here, its a fatbike, Just like the Sun Spider is a single speed fat bike. I can't see anything the spider can do that the goose can't.

    Now with all that said come on guys, where all here on this site because of the one thing that we all have in common, we all love to ride our bikes. Whether it be a 2500 buck pimped out Moonlander, or a 200 buck Walgoose. At the end of the day it should be our love of riding whatever it is we are pedaling thats important and stop this divide that seems to be growing between us over this bike. Cant we just agree to disagree and move on?
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

  9. #109
    Chronic Underachiever
    Reputation: MauricioB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    What I meant was that we might soon see a $500-800 FatBike that is darn near equal to the current crop of +$1500 FatBikes.
    I rather doubt it. A good-quality fat bike from Surly or Salsa will be more expensive than a similar-eschelon skinny bike from them for a while to come. At least several years, I'd guess, because...

    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Other than a few obvious differences, like rims/tires/BB a Surly/Salsa FB isn't much different than a $500-800 MTB ... Well, except for the fact that the MTB probably has a suspension fork.
    You can't just dismiss those differences as if they're nothing and expect your argument to hold. Those differences are where the price difference comes from. Niche products and new products are always more expensive.

    I'd also argue that QBP offerings are always a better-quality build than what can be had at $500, and generally better than $800. Another reason they cost more.

    If your argument were valid, department store BSO's would have wiped out high-end bicycles long ago. Has not, and will not happen.

  10. #110
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by MauricioB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    What I meant was that we might soon see a $500-800 FatBike that is darn near equal to the current crop of +$1500 FatBikes.
    I rather doubt it. A good-quality fat bike from Surly or Salsa will be more expensive than a similar-eschelon skinny bike from them for a while to come. At least several years, I'd guess, because...

    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Other than a few obvious differences, like rims/tires/BB a Surly/Salsa FB isn't much different than a $500-800 MTB ... Well, except for the fact that the MTB probably has a suspension fork.
    You can't just dismiss those differences as if they're nothing and expect your argument to hold. Those differences are where the price difference comes from. Niche products and new products are always more expensive.

    I'd also argue that QBP offerings are always a better-quality build than what can be had at $500, and generally better than $800. Another reason they cost more.

    If your argument were valid, department store BSO's would have wiped out high-end bicycles long ago. Has not, and will not happen.
    I'm not dismissing them ... But I am accounting for the ability of someone like Pacific Cycles to order in large quantities, and get serious cost reductions.

    Heck,
    The rims ... Even at half the quality, and it can't have any chance of economic survival if it's that low ... Comparable rims cost as much as this entire bike ... Scale of production does that in any manufacturing environment.


    Be happy, the prices on a few things will probably be coming down.

  11. #111
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    29ers still hold a surprising premium to 26ers, given the miniscule difference in materials and labor required. I wouldn't expect high end fat bikes to drop in price at all.

  12. #112
    ejj
    ejj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    185
    It might make the Salsa/Surly world offer more fr the same $.

    In the 80s, lux cars had leather and power windows. Now Corollas can be had with that. Did Audi/Merc/BMW go out of business? Nope, they still charge more and offer more. Of course most people don't see the value there. Bikes are different, but not by much.

  13. #113
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    29ers still hold a surprising premium to 26ers, given the miniscule difference in materials and labor required. I wouldn't expect high end fat bikes to drop in price at all.
    I'm of the opinion that they only hold a premium because the consumer allows it to happen.

    Bicycle tires that cost as much as car tires ... Because the consumer allows it to happen.

    Good marketing is a wonderful thing for the manufacturer/seller to invest in.

  14. #114
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    In the 1980s, Zenith encountered increasing financial difficulty as their market share progressively went to Japanese companies who had lower overhead, and could sell their sets cheaper.

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Houndog45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    267
    I'm looking forward to the $379 Geared FS WalFat!!!!!

  16. #116
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    I'm of the opinion that they only hold a premium because the consumer allows it to happen.

    Bicycle tires that cost as much as car tires ... Because the consumer allows it to happen.

    Good marketing is a wonderful thing for the manufacturer/seller to invest in.
    Yup. As long as people keep buying them, prices will stay high.

  17. #117
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    I'm looking forward to the $379 Geared FS WalFat!!!!!
    It might come sooner than you think ... Walmart has sold out of the Beast.

    An indicator of something, I'm sure ... I bet they've never sold out of a bike model so fast.

    Pacific Cycle are you listening to Houndog45 ?

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    273

    Way to go Walmart!

    So, I ordered mine last thursday night, It showed up all purty and blue Saturday fedex. I noticed yesterday Walmart still hasn't taken any money out of my account. I called them today and the lady said we have a hold on your order as its out of stock and the money won't deduct from your account until its shipped. I asked can I cancel my order and order later when you have it, and I got a cancellation notification in my email. They had no record they shipped it and no one signed for it. So how long do you think until they realize the boo boo?
    Anyway it had a few scratches on the bottom of the fork where it poked through the box but otherwise its ok. Rides nice and laid back. The gearing is actually not that bad. I wouldn't wanna climb with it.
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

  19. #119
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    So, I ordered mine last thursday night, It showed up all purty and blue Saturday fedex. I noticed yesterday Walmart still hasn't taken any money out of my account. I called them today and the lady said we have a hold on your order as its out of stock and the money won't deduct from your account until its shipped. I asked can I cancel my order and order later when you have it, and I got a cancellation notification in my email. They had no record they shipped it and no one signed for it. So how long do you think until they realize the boo boo?
    Anyway it had a few scratches on the bottom of the fork where it poked through the box but otherwise its ok. Rides nice and laid back. The gearing is actually not that bad. I wouldn't wanna climb with it.


    That simply amounts to fraud. Takes a lot of balls to post that here. Negged.

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    525
    So far as the rim costs go...

    What if there were pressure from the top too? Lighter, stiffer carbon rims for not much more than the premium currently asked for the drilled ones...

  21. #121
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    That simply amounts to fraud. Takes a lot of balls to post that here. Negged.
    Not sure it's fraud, but ... I gotta agree.

    Dumb to make such an admission.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    273
    First its not dumb to admit and second I'm not the type of guy that would just keep it and go forward with life and never pay for it. They know I have one, I did call them to find out what was going on. I cancelled the order to keep from getting two and billed for two. They have no record of shipping me one. So again way to go your average minimum wage employee! I didn't think I had to spell all that out but I guess some people think the worst. Should have included that I guess. What I get for typing while I'm half asleep. if it makes everyone happy I'll post a snapshot of my account when they finally fix it and pull the money out. Geesh
    Last edited by Thumpy69; 04-02-2013 at 08:57 PM.
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

  23. #123
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    . So again way to go your average minimum wage employee! .


    Are you usually this socially graceful?

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Strongarm View Post
    Are you usually this socially graceful?
    Usually I am, Been riding all day so I'm tired and typing with half thought. If your offended I'm sorry.
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kbollox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    145
    Mongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-.jpg

    totally worth the price.

  26. #126
    let's ride...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    64

    Bullsh*t

    Quote Originally Posted by kbollox View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	6177 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	786894

    totally worth the price.
    I'll buy beers at Midnight Sun if you can even half keep up on a lap around here (Anchorage). I know many of you are all excited and wet about this POS, but it just isn't a FatBike. You can call me an elitist, snob, a**hole all you want. But you are totally deluding yourself if you think that this pile of steel is going to deliver a 'real fat bike' experience. I've been reading these threads for days now and I had to chime in--it's absolutely ridiculous. They will be shite pavement pounders and worthless for trails. Tinker away. My time actually has value and I'd rather work (i.e., earn some loot) and buy an actually enjoyable bike.

    Oh, and no f'ng kidding. I'm calling these what they are. Worthless investments in time and money that won't actually turn any one into a cyclist.

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,215
    Quote Originally Posted by hellbilly77 View Post
    ...I'm calling these what they are. Worthless investments in time and money that won't actually turn any one into a cyclist.
    I think you misunderstand their purpose. It's so people can have fun. At $200, fun will be had even if they can't do the Iditarod on them.

    And yes, it is highly likely a POS, but you can still have fun on one of them.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  28. #128
    let's ride...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    64
    VB. I hear you about having fun on any POS with two (or three wheels) with pedals, but after all the commentary on this forum concerning this particular 'marvel of consumerism', I believe that many are expecting an actual Fatbike experience. They won't get it. Any induced grin will be a fraction of what it could be. And in fact, I believe many will come to think that 'fat' is just a fad because they have been deprived of a legitimate experience and saddled with BS manufacturing quality. I won't even call it engineering...

  29. #129
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Some people just don't get it.

  30. #130
    9:zero:7
    Reputation: Morej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    103
    Hi everyone, I'm reading this thread, and got a bit confused. How come you can not just put this thing where it belongs to.
    This bike is a "fat bike". Does it have fat wheels? Yes, so it is a "fat bike".
    Will you be able to ride technical tracks with it? No.
    Will you be able to ride it in soft sand or deep snow? No.
    Will you ever want to plan a 20+ miles trip on this bike? No.
    But....
    It is going to be a fun beach bike on hard sand, a good bar bike and your kids will be happy to ride around the community with their friends.
    I started my fat bike carrier with the Sun Spider. Was it fun at the moment? Ohhh Yes!!!
    I bought it to ride it as a beach cruiser. It was fantastic, but after a while I wanted more. I wanted to ride my beloved bike on single tracks, on the beach where the sand was very difficult to ride, and I wanted to do some long distance trips. What did I do? Ordered an other "fat bike".
    This time I went all in. Spent over $3000 to build something that can do anything and everything I wanted to do. Was I happy with my decision? Ohhhhh Yes I was and I still am.
    I had an opportunity to try other fattys from different price ranges. Could I feel the differences every each time? Yes.
    When I built my second bike, I sold the Spider.
    The Beast is small for me, but I would love to buy one in my size to have a cheap bike just to cruse on the beach, go to the grocery store and not need to worry about it every second when I step away.

    There is something, that no one mentioned here. That is our loss. What are we loosing? The cool factor.
    After Walmart fills up the streets with fat bikes, ours will not be so special anymore. We not going to get the hundreds of questions, the admiring looks. Most people not even going to know that there is some difference between those bikes and the much more expensive ones. So yes, all of those who bought their bike to flash will be disappointed by seeing all the $200 bikes. Others, who actually use them for biking will not give a crap.
    I'm happy with my decision, and I'm also happy to see more "fat bikes" around.
    Only the dead fish swims with the current!

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smithcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Morej View Post
    This bike is a "fat bike". Does it have fat wheels? Yes, so it is a "fat bike".
    Will you be able to ride technical tracks with it? No.
    Will you be able to ride it in soft sand or deep snow? No.
    Will you ever want to plan a 20+ miles trip on this bike? No.
    Funny, each person has their own definition of "fat bike" and mine would include being purposefully designed and built to do most all the things you describe. Otherwise it's just a bike with big tires. "Not that there's anything wrong with that." (positive rep for first person to identify the quote )

  32. #132
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by hellbilly77 View Post
    VB. I hear you about having fun on any POS with two (or three wheels) with pedals, but after all the commentary on this forum concerning this particular 'marvel of consumerism', I believe that many are expecting an actual Fatbike experience. They won't get it. Any induced grin will be a fraction of what it could be. And in fact, I believe many will come to think that 'fat' is just a fad because they have been deprived of a legitimate experience and saddled with BS manufacturing quality. I won't even call it engineering...
    Yeah, it's got a whole 2 1/2 star rating on Wallyworld itself.

    Best quotes from the fat-bike.com post yesterday after 6 different riders tried it (3 male 3 female):

    “It feels like riding an asthmatic child”

    “I thought I was a strong rider but this made me feel weak”

    “No wonder everyone who buys a Walmart bike thinks riding is hard”

    “The front end must be broken”

    “I feel like it wants me to crash every time I turn a corner”

  33. #133
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    The bike needs tires and DH tubes first. Just look at the weights I posted in the Modifications thread. That's almost 10lbs of rotating mass reduction there.

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    663
    Do some people (maybe myself included) write just to ignite or fuel a flame? Saying that someone riding any two wheeled, self-propelled device is not a bicyclist is ludicrous. What would be the definition of them? The individuals purchasing the Walgoose (and apparently there won't be any for a while since they are reported to be sold out) aren't deluded into thinking they're going to blast any trails with riders on much more expensive equipment. Why the hell does anyone care who buys one? More surprisingly for the haters is that, apparently, experienced "cyclists" are purchasing them.

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    525
    I've already ridden mine over 75 miles. After changing the gearing there is NO reason I couldn't ride snowmobile trails or mild (not hilly) singletrack and in fact I have been on snow. Does it take more effort than my custom carbon bike? sure...

    will I use it for actual fatbike purposes going forward? Yes. Although there will certainly be a reason that I can't ride the other bike before I will choose it (theft concern primarily).

    The big thing here... for 99% of buyers fatbikes are all about fun anyways. Certainly NOT doing the Arrowhead or Iditabike. That's why this thing is great- it provides a really cheap opportunity to have that same kind of fun.

    Also, on a separate note and also to the positive... I have a lot of cheap bikes that I've purchased on craigslist etc. and a couple of older beach cruisers. The value of this compared to those used purchases is incredibly high.

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kbollox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    145
    I'm happy to report that it's NOT a Pug, Fatback, Moonlander, Mukluk, etc.... it never will be. If anyone has that expectation then they will be disappointed.

    It is a hella fun & HEAVY.

    and I stand by my statement that it's worth the price. I'm at $230 before new tires, when they arrive it'll skyrocket to $300. I have every expectation that I'll get as much fun outta this appropriately named beast as I do ripping my 50's Schwinn with 2.35's & a coaster brake on it.

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jim Hannoonen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by kbollox View Post
    I'm happy to report that it's NOT a Pug, Fatback, Moonlander, Mukluk, etc.... it never will be. If anyone has that expectation then they will be disappointed.

    It is a hella fun & HEAVY.

    and I stand by my statement that it's worth the price. I'm at $230 before new tires, when they arrive it'll skyrocket to $300. I have every expectation that I'll get as much fun outta this appropriately named beast as I do ripping my 50's Schwinn with 2.35's & a coaster brake on it.
    I agree 100% I just got my red Beast yesterday and it's definitely appropriately named. That being said, it really is a fun bike.

    Do I think it's a "fatbike"? Absolutely not, and for anyone to think so is ridiculous. It's a novelty and not a whole lot more.
    I also think I may have thrown my back out riding wheelies yesterday... =)

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kbollox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    145
    I will add that $35 per wheel for tires is cheap even by 26" MTB standard especially given the 5 lb. weight savings.

  39. #139
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,635
    I should have the weight down to Pugsley or sub-Pugsley weight later this week using bargin bin parts. I road mine for 3 hours on Saturday at stock weight.

  40. #140
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,351
    Subscribed.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  41. #141
    let's ride...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by fos'l View Post
    Do some people (maybe myself included) write just to ignite or fuel a flame? Saying that someone riding any two wheeled, self-propelled device is not a bicyclist is ludicrous. What would be the definition of them? The individuals purchasing the Walgoose (and apparently there won't be any for a while since they are reported to be sold out) aren't deluded into thinking they're going to blast any trails with riders on much more expensive equipment. Why the hell does anyone care who buys one? More surprisingly for the haters is that, apparently, experienced "cyclists" are purchasing them.

    Perhaps an analogy from 'the hater' will make this clearer. This bike--and all of this discussion--is the equivalent of the soccer mom SUV. Just because your pavement pounding mall cruiser has 4WD, it's not an off road rig. That Honda with a coffee can for an exhaust is not a race car. I generally expect more discerning attitudes from a bike geek forum. And I don't race White Mountain, Arrowhead, ITI, etc. but I can tell you affirmatively that it is a fraction of the experience. Yes, even without riding one. It's like I'm Creskin. Furthermore, around here, the cool factor is not what it used to be. There are hundreds of Fatties here...commuting, on the trails,...

  42. #142
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by kbollox View Post
    I will add that $35 per wheel for tires is cheap even by 26" MTB standard especially given the 5 lb. weight savings.
    What tires were you able to get for $35 each? That is a good price.

  43. #143
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    What tires were you able to get for $35 each? That is a good price.
    He's probably talking about these - Origin 8 Devist 8ER Mtn Tire 26x4 0 Bike Bicycle Wire Belted Black New | eBay

    I took delivery on a set yesterday ... The wife about fainted when she saw them LOL

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Desert Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    I've never said that the walgoose is as good as a surly, salsa etc... But I am pro walgoose. I think it's a decent bike for 200 bucks. the Tommisea single speed like it is 600 bucks. the Sun Spider is 700 bucks. So it gives someone an affordable option. You can't get a geared fatty for under a 1000 unless it's used. Now after talking to some reps at Pacific Cycles dont be surpirsed in 6-12 months when you see a mongoose MTB fatty, its going to happen. The 379 buck 29er FS goose is actually a decent bike for the money, It has the full SRAM X4 set on it. And if you swapped the rear shock out it would be a really nice XC bike. I don't know anyone who buys a Walmart bike and expects it to do everything a 1500+ bike can do. I do think there should be one thread covering this as to not clutter up the forum as it seems to bother some people, but as far as not discussing it here, its a fatbike, Just like the Sun Spider is a single speed fat bike. I can't see anything the spider can do that the goose can't. Now with all that said come on guys, where all here on this site because of the one thing that we all have in common, we all love to ride our bikes. Whether it be a 2500 buck pimped out Moonlander, or a 200 buck Walgoose. At the end of the day it should be our love of riding whatever it is we are pedaling thats important and stop this divide that seems to be growing between us over this bike. Cant we just agree to disagree and move on?
    So right about it all being about the ride
    This is not to detract from your point because I think it is valid, but being a Spider owner I have to chime in on this: The sun spider has 135ish rear spacing (its actualy like 125 but easily goes 135), so it makes swaping front and rear wheels possible, also the frame is more like an 18 than a 17, and takes a 27.2 seatpost. I was only able to find a 450mm seatpost in 27.2 (there might be others out there) so in that way it can accommodate a taller rider. Also it has a standard 100mm bb so it can take more bb/cranksets than the Goose. The rear dropouts are really sweet on the spider too and include rack mounting points, so I guess thats something else the Spider can do. Oh yeah, it also has two bottlecage mounts, although you can only use one at a time because of there proximity to one another. The spider is also a geared bike for under $1000, though the dished cog idea is flawed and requires modification to avoid failure, and the 2spd kickback is kind of unrefined in my opinion.
    I like the walgoose and I think I'll get one. It would be a good bike to have on hand for visitors. Riding a coastie in some places is challenging and requires some skill and finesse, that's what makes it fun.
    Like some have said, its about getting out there and riding, the dollar to fun ratio on the walgoose looks very good to me.

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    567
    I imagine there is no easy way to mount a rear rack on one of these things? I want a bike I can run errands on and not worry about leaving locked up, this is certainly cheap enough. If not I might just get an old rigid MTB from the local bike co-op.

  46. #146
    US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Reputation: longhaultrucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,034
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Subscribed.
    +2

    Knowing what this bike is,what it's intended for,and what it isn't,I'm reading with interest
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

  47. #147
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    I imagine there is no easy way to mount a rear rack on one of these things? I want a bike I can run errands on and not worry about leaving locked up, this is certainly cheap enough. If not I might just get an old rigid MTB from the local bike co-op.
    Unless I don't understand what you are asking, I think there are plenty of racks that will mount on it.


    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    He's probably talking about these - Origin 8 Devist 8ER Mtn Tire 26x4 0 Bike Bicycle Wire Belted Black New | eBay

    I took delivery on a set yesterday ... The wife about fainted when she saw them LOL
    They look like motorcycle tires... Thanks!
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 04-03-2013 at 04:02 PM.

  48. #148
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    They look like motorcycle tires... Thanks!
    They sure do LOL
    And while not as big on the weight savings as the tires Bighit used, they're still about 2.5 lbs lighter per tire ... So that's 5 lbs less rotational mass, and (probably) a much better tire than what comes on the Beast.

    P.S.
    Fedex showed us about 30 minutes ago.
    Gonna be a long evening at work ... Then home for a tear-down, greasing session, and put it back together, late night.
    Kind of glad I'm working evenings !!

    One chip off the down-tube (underside about a foot from the head-tube), and an barely discernible scratch on the left Seat-stay next to the Seat-tube.


    Oh,
    And when I hand assembled it, just to get a look ... She asked if she could ride it.
    That's a seriously good use of $200 IMO ... 'Cause she don't ride

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    663
    Maybe you'll get lucky and spend another $199 when you buy one for yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    They sure do LOL
    And while not as big on the weight savings as the tires Bighit used, they're still about 2.5 lbs lighter per tire ... So that's 5 lbs less rotational mass, and (probably) a much better tire than what comes on the Beast.

    P.S.
    Fedex showed us about 30 minutes ago.
    Gonna be a long evening at work ... Then home for a tear-down, greasing session, and put it back together, late night.
    Kind of glad I'm working evenings !!

    One chip off the down-tube (underside about a foot from the head-tube), and an barely discernible scratch on the left Seat-stay next to the Seat-tube.


    Oh,
    And when I hand assembled it, just to get a look ... She asked if she could ride it.
    That's a seriously good use of $200 IMO ... 'Cause she don't ride

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    So right about it all being about the ride
    This is not to detract from your point because I think it is valid, but being a Spider owner I have to chime in on this: The sun spider has 135ish rear spacing (its actualy like 125 but easily goes 135), so it makes swaping front and rear wheels possible, also the frame is more like an 18 than a 17, and takes a 27.2 seatpost. I was only able to find a 450mm seatpost in 27.2 (there might be others out there) so in that way it can accommodate a taller rider. Also it has a standard 100mm bb so it can take more bb/cranksets than the Goose. The rear dropouts are really sweet on the spider too and include rack mounting points, so I guess thats something else the Spider can do. Oh yeah, it also has two bottlecage mounts, although you can only use one at a time because of there proximity to one another. The spider is also a geared bike for under $1000, though the dished cog idea is flawed and requires modification to avoid failure, and the 2spd kickback is kind of unrefined in my opinion.
    I like the walgoose and I think I'll get one. It would be a good bike to have on hand for visitors. Riding a coastie in some places is challenging and requires some skill and finesse, that's what makes it fun.
    Like some have said, its about getting out there and riding, the dollar to fun ratio on the walgoose looks very good to me.
    The sun spider I was reffering to ay my LBS was a single speed for 649. Thats the comparison I was making
    1993 Trek Multitrack 700
    2011 Trek Hifi Plus
    2013 WalGoose

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mongoose XR-PRO at Walmart for $379, Anygood?
    By jaycarl in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 01-25-2015, 10:24 PM
  2. Mongoose Beast... cannot wait
    By 2silent in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 08:59 AM
  3. My new Mongoose 29" mountain bike review.
    By FJMobil in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 09:22 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 12:41 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 07:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •