Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 201 to 300 of 454
  1. #201
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy69 View Post
    Funny the tires are too wide for the bike racks, they gotta line em up on the floor. Hee hee
    good thing that have an extra strong kickstand!

  2. #202
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by bill in houston View Post
    good thing that have an extra strong kickstand!
    lol

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,107
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    I agree that it should probably be in the cruiser section of MTBR... probably wouldn't have caused such an uproar with myself and others.
    There is no cruiser forum on MTBR. Because the entire site is devoted to MOUNTAIN BIKES.

    FWIW, I'm not sitting here with steam coming out of my ears. I just think it's funny (or hypocritical) that people who would have nothing to do with the other so-called "mountain bikes" from Walmart are getting excited over this thing.

    I think I sort of have it figured out. Besides the obvious (It's cheap! It's fat!), it has a pleasing looking geometry, nice colors and is devoid of the usual crapload of decals.

    I think there's a place for a stripped-down entry-level fatbike that has an upgrade path, but this ain't it. What parts would you keep? The frame material looks like it's recycled from swingsets that were recalled in the '80s. And it's only available at the most-hated store in the universe.

  4. #204
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    There is no cruiser forum on MTBR.
    You're correct.

    There IS a Mongoose section... folks... hint, hint

    Mongoose-Schwinn

    I don't know what we would talk about then though... we would have to go back to being nice to each other and talking about fat bike things and looking at beautiful pictures

  5. #205
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,107
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    You're correct.

    There IS a Mongoose section... folks... hint, hint

    Mongoose-Schwinn

    I don't know what we would talk about then though... we would have to go back to being nice to each other and talking about fat bike things and looking at beautiful pictures
    That Mongoose section is for "real" Mongooses (Mongeese?). The Walmart Mongoose stuff is the mutant stepchild of the Mongoose family. If you go to the Mongoose website, the stuff they sell at Walmart is nowhere to be found. Not sure how Mongoose is carved up, business-wise. Maybe sold the right to slap the name on the low-end stuff made by Pacific?

    We could still talk about them behind their backs if they went away!

  6. #206
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    You guys do realize that the quickest way to end a thread, is to not respond in it ... Right ?

  7. #207
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Hey! hold it!
    I hope to see more about this bike.
    I don't have mine yet...I was glad to see it looks like Walworld Intl. got them back in stock,last I cheked a few days ago...I could have got it this month but I committed to a RP23 shock I needed for my 29er squishy,and that and a coupla other things made it so I gotta wait about 3 more weeks.I'm just hoping there's some left at that time.
    ...But if there's some left,I'm still all in.For me, it's prolly all the Fatbike I'm gonna need...considering my age and my disability status.
    It's perfect for me.I'm only gonna ride it on some extremely tame trails anyway...one is even a paved park trail.LOL
    I been reading how guys are customizing it too...very interesting.Whoever said some people will really enjoy this bike a lot was right.
    ...It's my "dream" Fatbike.LOL
    ...How much stress is a disabled,one foot and one prothestic foot guy gonna place on it anyway? LOL...I'ts perfect!!
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  8. #208
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Hey! hold it!
    I hope to see more about this bike.
    I don't have mine yet...I was glad to see it looks like Walworld Intl. got them back in stock,last I cheked a few days ago...I could have got it this month but I committed to a RP23 shock I needed for my 29er squishy,and that and a coupla other things made it so I gotta wait about 3 more weeks.I'm just hoping there's some left at that time.
    ...But if there's some left,I'm still all in.For me, it's prolly all the Fatbike I'm gonna need...considering my age and my disability status.
    It's perfect for me.I'm only gonna ride it on some extremely tame trails anyway...one is even a paved park trail.LOL
    I been reading how guys are customizing it too...very interesting.Whoever said some people will really enjoy this bike a lot was right.
    ...It's my "dream" Fatbike.LOL
    ...How much stress is a disabled,one foot and one prothestic foot guy gonna place on it anyway? LOL...I'ts perfect!!
    Z
    Very excellent points ... All of them !!!

    As long as you don't intentionally abuse it, or let someone else abuse it ... It will probably give you a good smile for your money.

  9. #209
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Very excellent points ... All of them !!!

    As long as you don't intentionally abuse it, or let someone else abuse it ... It will probably give you a good smile for your money.
    Thanks.
    All i can do is count the days and hope they're still in stock.
    I did that last month too...but i couldn't flip-flop on the shock deal I made.
    so now 2 months of waiting is really driving me nuts.
    ...Onemoremonth!!!!!!!!!!
    Uhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    835
    I'm with the group that wants more about this bike, especially the customizers. Let the motto be "SPRUCE YOUR GOOSE" (with apologies to Howard Hughes). By the way, I don't think Mongoose is selling bike store models in the USA now, so maybe they should be moved to the vintage section

  11. #211
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by fos'l View Post
    I'm with the group that wants more about this bike, especially the customizers. Let the motto be "SPRUCE YOUR GOOSE" (with apologies to Howard Hughes). By the way, I don't think Mongoose is selling bike store models in the USA now, so maybe they should be moved to the vintage section
    ...Maybe some of these rip-off bike shops out here need to move to the reCycle bin.
    HAHA
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  12. #212
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033

  13. #213
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    So far,I'm gonna change/(upgrade??)
    1.Tires Devistaters
    2stem
    3.Handlebar.
    4.Saddle.
    5.-Then i'm gonna look at the hubs and brakes...to see if I can make some reasonably priced improvments.
    Gearing is one area I got to fix up.It's gonna be way too hard prolly for me to pedal with my disability and all.
    The above mentioned stuff I already have for the most part.
    Oh...and pedals.
    I might have the only Wal-goose on the forums with a magnetic cleat pedal.I haven't got into my pedal type yet since losing my foot.
    Magnetic cleat flat Maybe I won't need them.
    One thing I know...i'm gonna ride if I get one....for sure.
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  14. #214
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    I was just thinking...maybe I should thank all the guys who posted up their thoughts and ideas about this bike in "advance"...as I haven't gotten the bike yet though.I'm a pretty firm believer in karma...as in what you put out you get back.
    I try to help out here on the forums when I can...perhaps some of that has and will come back to me during my couple of weeks til I can get my bike.
    So thanks in advance guys...to all who have contributed to this and other threads concerning this bike.I hope you all enjoy your bike as much as I hope to enjoy mine.
    ...Ride on.
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5

    My Beast

    Been having fun with this bike, I will buy a proper bike once I sell a few in the storage unit and make some space.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-beastbackangle.jpg  

    Mongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-beast-front-angle.jpg  


  16. #216
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033

    grease & No Handed Riding



    For the skeptic

    Boring, but....................

  17. #217
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    ...Ready?
    ...Here's the Walgoose Beast's theme song.it's called,"You think you're better than me"...by Bobaflex.
    (From the video,"Gigantour" -the Megatour with Megadeth).
    Hope you guys enjoy.The rest of the video is slammin' too.
    It just seems to fit so fine.
    Bobaflex - Better Than Me - YouTube
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    189
    I like the shift in the vibe around here.

    Nice looking ride there tjbmustang!

  19. #219
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    That song just makes ya want to pedal faster over ANYTHING.

  20. #220
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5

    Good job! Weigh in

    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    I like the shift in the vibe around here.

    Nice looking ride there tjbmustang!
    Thanks skota, I weighed it today at the local Trek shop and it was a svelte 37 pounds, a 12 pound drop in one week. But definitely at its limit.

  21. #221
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    I was on the fence about one of these for a time, figured it would be pretty good for chasing the dog, but I have decided to apply the funds towards a Pugs, it just makes more sense for me. Good job guys, like seeing the innovation and "can do" attitude. Keep up the fine work.

  22. #222
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    ^ be nice to have you around here guy. We're full so we'll have to let one member go to fit you in



    Ha! I'm honored, sucks be the guy that gets let go though.

  23. #223
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by tjpmustang View Post
    Thanks skota, I weighed it today at the local Trek shop and it was a svelte 37 pounds, a 12 pound drop in one week. But definitely at its limit.
    So let me see if I can spot all the changes:
    lighter tires (and, i assume, tubes)
    threadless headset converter
    stem
    bars
    saddle
    truvativ crank

    what else?

    37lbs is heavy, but a LOT better than 49.

  24. #224
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    ,,,anybody drill the rims yet?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  25. #225
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    it's been done. over at undergroundvelo, i think. maybe ratrodbikes. it came out pretty awesome.

  26. #226
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,640
    I drilled mine. + lite tires and tubes... don't even need a smaller gear onroad. Rotational weight is the best place to start getting rid of on any bike.

    Mongoose Beast modifications

  27. #227
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    my bad, yo. with my computer locking up when i try to use this forum, i have cut way back.

    Anyone go tubeless yet?
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 04-10-2013 at 10:22 AM.

  28. #228
    mtbr member
    Reputation: x3speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    388
    They have them

  29. #229
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    So let me see if I can spot all the changes:
    lighter tires (and, i assume, tubes)
    threadless headset converter
    stem
    bars
    saddle
    truvativ crank

    what else?

    37lbs is heavy, but a LOT better than 49.
    Hey Bill,
    I drilled the rims and used Surly, Endomorph rear, Larry front with Surly light tubes, Stem is a Sette from Pricepoint
    and Bars are Performance Forte' 720mm wide with Sette grips, Origin 8 Stem adapter and seatpost 400mm. Budget items besides the tires. Cranks were a donation from a friend. So a little over 200 bucks spent to lose 12 pounds was worthwhile in my estimation.

  30. #230
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5

    drilled wheel

    first time doing this, so I am happy with the results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-wheel.jpg  


  31. #231
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    lookin' good.
    I might wait and see what the Kmart Huffy Fatbike looks like mentioned in another thread...unless the whole thing is a joke.
    I might even get halfway serious about Fatbikes and wait til some major players bring out some low price Fatty's.That is the best option for me...and I don't think that day is a long way off either.

    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  32. #232
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by tjpmustang View Post
    Hey Bill,
    I drilled the rims and used Surly, Endomorph rear, Larry front with Surly light tubes, Stem is a Sette from Pricepoint
    and Bars are Performance Forte' 720mm wide with Sette grips, Origin 8 Stem adapter and seatpost 400mm. Budget items besides the tires. Cranks were a donation from a friend. So a little over 200 bucks spent to lose 12 pounds was worthwhile in my estimation.
    Nice work going lighter on a budget. Do you think you saved any weight with the stem adapter? Or was that mostly so it would look better?

    Quote Originally Posted by tjpmustang View Post
    first time doing this, so I am happy with the results.
    Those came out great. Somehow I don't think I could get the spacing precisely enough to make it look good.

    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    I might even get halfway serious about Fatbikes and wait til some major players bring out some low price Fatty's.That is the best option for me...and I don't think that day is a long way off either.
    If you look at the price difference between Mongoose and the big boys on 29ers, I would not expect them to make an inexpensive fat bike ever. I mean, maybe a $1100 one, but not a $600 one.

  33. #233
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Nice work going lighter on a budget. Do you think you saved any weight with the stem adapter? Or was that mostly so it would look better?

    Those came out great. Somehow I don't think I could get the spacing precisely enough to make it look good.

    If you look at the price difference between Mongoose and the big boys on 29ers, I would not expect them to make an inexpensive fat bike ever. I mean, maybe a $1100 one, but not a $600 one.
    I'm thinkin' 800...but the big B could serve as a launch pad to fatdom.
    I'm flip-floppin' back and forth for the next 20 days or so til I can justify gettin' one.
    LOL...I've done enough crazy stuff in the past...I figure why stop now.
    ?
    mmmm...20 days.
    no fatbike at all.
    It's only 2 hunnet.
    ....
    .
    I...
    I...
    ...I'll take a red one.
    HAHA
    z
    feelin better now.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  34. #234
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dudeist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    281
    I
    I'd advise waiting until we earlier buyers finish drillin' rims and replacing cast iron
    parts and six pound tires before droppin' that first "only $200" . I've been working on mine and waiting for parts for aweek and still not sure i'll ever want to ride it.

  35. #235
    Are we there yet?
    Reputation: AlmostQuick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by tjpmustang View Post
    first time doing this, so I am happy with the results.
    Hi tjpmustang,

    Did you use two different size hole saws? The second hole from the left in your attached photo (and possibly the last one to the right) looks larger than the others to me. Intentional design? Optical illusion? Something else? Thanks.

    I agree it turned out good.

  36. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    I
    I'd advise waiting until we earlier buyers finish drillin' rims and replacing cast iron
    parts and six pound tires before droppin' that first "only $200" . I've been working on mine and waiting for parts for aweek and still not sure i'll ever want to ride it.
    I can understand that,but everybody knows (or should know) that this bike is like folding up a piece of notebook paper and making it into a jet plane anyway.
    ...I understand that.
    ...but I'm pretty sure everybody is going to get a kick out of it...so clear the 'ol paperplane runway...another one is due for take off and landing in about 3 weeks.
    ...I might even draw some pictures on mine...and put some clothes pins and playing cards in the spokes to give it that "motorcycle sound".
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  37. #237
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    I
    I'd advise waiting until we earlier buyers finish drillin' rims and replacing cast iron
    parts and six pound tires before droppin' that first "only $200" . I've been working on mine and waiting for parts for aweek and still not sure i'll ever want to ride it.
    As long as your upgrade choices are not Mongoose specific ... Stuff can always be put on another bike.

    P.S.
    Anyone know the fork width at the fattest (tire) part of a Moonlander fork ?
    A Bud & Lou combo will easily fit the goose frame using a 100mm rim (front & rear) ... I'm just curious how much clearance a Moony frame/fork has with that rim width.
    Last edited by bikeabuser; 04-11-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Clarify rim width

  38. #238
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    put some clothes pins and playing cards in the spokes to give it that "motorcycle sound".
    Z
    Damn I wish I'd thought of that !!!

  39. #239
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Damn I wish I'd thought of that !!!
    You could also tie some baloons to the frame and rub them in the spokes...
    The big ones give you that,"Harley Tone".
    Some fox tails flowing around on there work too.
    Many improvisational and amazing whistles,pinwheels,bobble toys,and spring loaded jack-in-the-box
    action figures can be found in the toystore.
    And some dollar stores.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  40. #240
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    I figured I'd bring this thread over here...I'm especially diggin' putting glow tubes and lights inside the cutouts.
    How To: Tubeless Wheel Windows
    ...I also saw a bunch of light show stuff on ebay for spokes,tire valves,etc.
    ...Anything's possible in the world of fantasy.Since the Walgoose is a funbike anyway, why not do it up proper?
    ...Clownstyle.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  41. #241
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Uh-Oh...
    I was joking around telling my wife I might have to get one for her too.I don't know why I said that...I knew she was going to tell me to stop wasting money on bikes...
    I wasn't ready for the serious look she gave me...I'm shocked.
    ...Two on the way!!!
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  42. #242
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dudeist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    281
    Fatgoose Parade!!! Yaaaayy!!!

  43. #243
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,640

    Spruce Goose

    Has anyone done a fat TALL bike? I have two Mongoose Beasts. I'm contemplating doing a tall bike with them.

  44. #244
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kbollox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    145
    heaviest tall-bike ever.

  45. #245
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jim Hannoonen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    63
    @kbollox

    How are you liking those Devist8ers on your Walgoose? I just ordered a set (should be here Monday)
    I know they're not the lightest tires, but I imagine there is a noticeable difference over the truck tires that came on it.

  46. #246
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kbollox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    145
    the Devist8ers are a good investment for the Beast. If you pull off the stock tires and take a look they're square & made of low grade rubber. There's a reson they smell like car tires, they look more like moto tires than bike. And to drop 5# right off...

    Certainly not a 45north or Surly tire but as with all things bike: More $= less #'s

    All that being said the bike is still heavy. I read (on Fat-bike.com i believe) that the frame & fork weigh in at 12#. I think I'm right around 40.

  47. #247
    Dr Gadget is IN
    Reputation: wadester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,350
    My Blue Beast came Wednesday. I got a good one - grease in all the bearings and only the head too tight. The front had about 20psi in it, back 16. So far it's better than I expected, and rides nice. The tires stink like the harbor freight rubber mallet I have did for the first 6 months I had it. The handlebars are ridiculously narrow, but when I went to swap on an old junk mustache bar I found that the stem only takes non-bulged bars, and all the old quill stems I have are 1"{sigh}. The gearing will be changed - already rooted up a pair of 175 cranks with 94mm bcd from the junk box, but my LBS does NOT stock coaster cogs. HA! I unboxed the blue beast at the LBS, and they all got a kick out of it. It is not like riding an asthmatic baby.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

    WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

  48. #248
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    My Blue Beast came Wednesday. I got a good one - grease in all the bearings and only the head too tight. The front had about 20psi in it, back 16. So far it's better than I expected, and rides nice. The tires stink like the harbor freight rubber mallet I have did for the first 6 months I had it. The handlebars are ridiculously narrow, but when I went to swap on an old junk mustache bar I found that the stem only takes non-bulged bars, and all the old quill stems I have are 1"{sigh}. The gearing will be changed - already rooted up a pair of 175 cranks with 94mm bcd from the junk box, but my LBS does NOT stock coaster cogs. HA! I unboxed the blue beast at the LBS, and they all got a kick out of it. It is not like riding an asthmatic baby.
    Congratulations on the Blue arrival.

    I hope your cranks fit ... The set I had laying around (early 80's), didn't have enough offset in the crank (Q) and hit the frame.

  49. #249
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Congratulations on the Blue arrival.

    I hope your cranks fit ... The set I had laying around (early 80's), didn't have enough offset in the crank (Q) and hit the frame.
    spacers?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  50. #250
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    spacers?
    square taper...

  51. #251
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    square taper...
    a shallower crank?
    Sorry, I don't have my square taper cranks handy right now.I just remember something about some cranks use longer or shorter BBs,...if I do decide to unleash a beast in my bike stable I'll have the same thoughts.Right now I'm going back and forth til decision time next month.One things for sure...that bad boy needs a chekup from the floorup.The only thing that's original on it I'd want is the frame and the rims.
    I hope if I do decide to get one,I can get one without paying 400 like the one on ebay.
    Supply and demand is a blip sometimes.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  52. #252
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    a shallower crank?
    Sorry, I don't have my square taper cranks handy right now.I just remember something about some cranks use longer or shorter BBs,...if I do decide to unleash a beast in my bike stable I'll have the same thoughts.Right now I'm going back and forth til decision time next month.One things for sure...that bad boy needs a chekup from the floorup.The only thing that's original on it I'd want is the frame and the rims.
    I hope if I do decide to get one,I can get one without paying 400 like the one on ebay.
    Supply and demand is a blip sometimes.
    Like Bill said, square paper ... The problem with the set I have iss, they have no real offset.
    The arm is basically straight ... I hoped they might make it, as the BB is long, but ... No go !

    Something a few years newer would work, but really old MTB stuff was basically just heavy duty road stuff with a gear change, unless you were buying very high-end/custom.

    I'm with you on the check-up ... But don't intend to spend money on this bike, unless that money can be transferred to another, future bike.

  53. #253
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9

    rear rack on the Beast

    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    I imagine there is no easy way to mount a rear rack on one of these things? I want a bike I can run errands on and not worry about leaving locked up, this is certainly cheap enough. If not I might just get an old rigid MTB from the local bike co-op.
    There are no eyelets or holes in the rear dropouts. The dropouts are so big, you could drill holes with no loss of strength.

    But what rack? No regular mtb rack will fit. You would need extra long supports to clear the tall tire and very wide tire width clearance.

  54. #254
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9

    BB needs immediate attention

    for all owners, the bb need grease and adjusting asap. I pulled the crank arms off and I could NOT turn the axle with 2 hands. No grease in the threads and almost no grease in the bearings. Riding it much will destroy the bearings, axle, cup. Fat chance getting a replacement axle.


  55. #255
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by rickpaulos View Post
    for all owners, the bb need grease and adjusting asap. I pulled the crank arms off and I could NOT turn the axle with 2 hands. No grease in the threads and almost no grease in the bearings. Riding it much will destroy the bearings, axle, cup. Fat chance getting a replacement axle.

    QC issues are to be expected.

    BB spindles = Extra Wide Bottom Bracket Axle - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.

    Although I haven't confirmed this as a proper replacement.

  56. #256
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    255
    Fat chance getting a replacement axle.
    Those longer spindles are used on chopper bikes, so they should not be too hard to find. Iim not sure that this is the correct one for the Beast, but here is one that I was able to find pretty quick -

    Extra Wide Bottom Bracket Axle - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.

    Name:  05003.JPG
Views: 3665
Size:  6.3 KB

    Edit - someone beat me to it; I was too slow...

  57. #257
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9
    "Approx. 165mm Long Overall" = 6.5 inches. About 1.25 inches too short. But thanks for the tip for stingrays choppers.

  58. #258
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    looks like it has threaded holes on the ends rather than the threaded studs that poke out, so a shorter overall length might be ok. the 100mm shoulder to shoulder measurement sounds like it would be about right?

  59. #259
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    looks like it has threaded holes on the ends rather than the threaded studs that poke out, so a shorter overall length might be ok. the 100mm shoulder to shoulder measurement sounds like it would be about right?
    The interesting thing to me is ... The chain-line is (taking into account my measuring accuracy) basically half way between the 2 sprockets of a Surly OD crank with the 100mm Moonlander setup.

    76.2mm

    And the OD or Mr. Whirley crank arm internal spacing (mathematically) seems like it will easily clear the chainstays.

    http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...Dimensions.PDF

  60. #260
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    I'm listening to you guys...which will help me if I get the bike.
    ...are you guys saying the old 58/94 5-arm Sugino and Shimano 110,113,and 118mm BB cranks I got won't work on this bike?
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  61. #261
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    I'm listening to you guys...which will help me if I get the bike.
    ...are you guys saying the old 58/94 5-arm Sugino and Shimano 110,113,and 118mm BB cranks I got won't work on this bike?
    Z
    If the arm is basically straight ... I'm gonna say no.

    My Sakae MTB crank/arms from the early 80's wouldn't.

    If it has some offset, like the newer MTB crank/arms ... Probably.

    FWIW,
    Bighit and a few others have put 90's era cranks on this bike, with no issues.

  62. #262
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Because of my disability,(lost my foot),I'm gonna need to make thi bike as EZ to pedal a posible.If there's a way to put gears on it, that. Every weight saving poible will help.
    ...Anybody know where to get these tires?

    NEW! ? Vee 8 ? 26?x4.00 Lightweight, 120tpi, Folding Bead Tire | FAT-BIKE.COM
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  63. #263
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Because of my disability,(lost my foot),I'm gonna need to make thi bike as EZ to pedal a posible.If there's a way to put gears on it, that. Every weight saving poible will help.
    ...Anybody know where to get these tires?

    NEW! ? Vee 8 ? 26?x4.00 Lightweight, 120tpi, Folding Bead Tire | FAT-BIKE.COM
    Gears won't be cheap ... Only a few companies are making 170mm rear hubs with 36 holes ... Assuming you want to use the stock rims.

    If you just want to gear down, find the post where bighit describes his crank/sprocket change (sorry, don't know where it is).

    Honestly,
    Based on what you've been describing, the SUN bike might be a better choice for you.


    You'll spend more than that to get rear gears and a brake installed, and still won't have a front brake.

    Now if your intention is to hang stuff on this frame, and eventually move it to another frame ... Keep moving forward, and mod the frame as needed.
    I.E. machine the BB width to 100mm, replace fork and headstock hardware, etc.

    But,
    Unless you intend to build a frame ... You'll probably end up $$$ behind.

    As for tire availability ... Per a comment in your link...................
    Estimated June of 2013

  64. #264
    Dr Gadget is IN
    Reputation: wadester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,350
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    Those longer spindles are used on chopper bikes, so they should not be too hard to find. Iim not sure that this is the correct one for the Beast, but here is one that I was able to find pretty quick -

    Extra Wide Bottom Bracket Axle - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.

    Name:  05003.JPG
Views: 3665
Size:  6.3 KB

    Edit - someone beat me to it; I was too slow...
    Quote Originally Posted by rickpaulos View Post
    "Approx. 165mm Long Overall" = 6.5 inches. About 1.25 inches too short. But thanks for the tip for stingrays choppers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    looks like it has threaded holes on the ends rather than the threaded studs that poke out, so a shorter overall length might be ok. the 100mm shoulder to shoulder measurement sounds like it would be about right?
    Good news, and for $12.99 + S&H, it would be worth a try.

    As far as crank arms/chainline goes:

    Mongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-img_2923s.jpg

    Note the refrigerator magnet on the OEM arm. The other one is a 94/56 arm set I got long ago - pretty standard for back in the "microdrive" heyday.

    Mongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-img_2929s.jpg

    Here's the rub - look at how many spacers I had to use to line up the chainring with the cog! Still do-able, but a special chainring bolt/spacer buy is in order.

    And for comparison to Moonlanders:

    Mongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-img_2925s.jpg

    Mongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-img_2926s.jpg

    Whirly arms have the right curvature - but a MWOD/Moonlander crankset would double the cost of the bike!

    Using old square taper cranks, the chainline would be better running from the granny position - but the biggest stock size would be in the 20's. Perhaps a Tomicog custom chainring? I've had him make a couple rings in the past - specifically for RotoR cranks which have their very own bcd (4 bolt 110mm). I recall $45 vs the standard $40 he quotes on the blog. 34tx56mm/5 arm? Have to lose the chainguard to run 110/74 I think.
    Mongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-img_2927s.jpg
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

    WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

  65. #265
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2929s.JPG 
Views:	1246 
Size:	347.0 KB 
ID:	790672

    Here's the rub - look at how many spacers I had to use to line up the chainring with the cog! Still do-able, but a special chainring bolt/spacer buy is in order.
    I have only ever used a crank that had the ring built on to it. This spacer thing is a new world for me. Hopefully it will make sense once I get it apart. How critical is chainline for a SS?

  66. #266
    Dr Gadget is IN
    Reputation: wadester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    I have only ever used a crank that had the ring built on to it. This spacer thing is a new world for me. Hopefully it will make sense once I get it apart. How critical is chainline for a SS?
    Derailer gears always run on some kind of angle, so it's not hypercritical - but that's why derailer chains wear out while a properly lined up singlespeed chain lasts nearly forever. Also, the farther off the alignment is the more likely the chain is to derail.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

    WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

  67. #267
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    OK, that makes sense. Thank you.

  68. #268
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    I like tinkering with stuff anyway...so the Goose might be the one.Part of the fun is in trying to fix it up I think.P have a Mongooe Otero Elite frame in the same situation a the Beast.I got it cheep...now I gotta figure out how to keep it out of the dumpster.LOL
    I hope the two of them don;t get intertwined at the waste facility before the word go.I once had a '96 Goose Hilltopper steel frame I wish I had back.Mongoose used to be OK...I wouldn't change the decals though.I'll prolly get a Beast and take my time fixing it up...no hurry for me.My only hurry is at 60 yrs. old how many years do I have to ride.It's a depressing thought sometimes.
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  69. #269
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by rickpaulos View Post
    There are no eyelets or holes in the rear dropouts. The dropouts are so big, you could drill holes with no loss of strength.

    But what rack? No regular mtb rack will fit. You would need extra long supports to clear the tall tire and very wide tire width clearance.
    Did I already suggest a seatpost rack in this thread? They are rated at about 25 lbs, I think.

  70. #270
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    I have a few 5-arm cranks...one is an old shimano stx with an odd 56/95 or 58/95 size that took a 110 bb. Is it that the lower the # for the bb the better?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  71. #271
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,640
    Picked up a set of Endomorphs for $40.




  72. #272
    Rides like wrecking ball
    Reputation: Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,122
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Picked up a set of Endomorphs for $40.



    How did you manage that?! Great find. I picked up my Beast tonight. Threw it together for a lap around the garage but it won't get a full tear down for a week or two. Have a 400mm seatpost and a thread less stem adapter coming too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

  73. #273
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    I was beginning a wheelset build,and happened across something in Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding section ner the end that said wheels with coaster brake hubs should be baced backward to protect if chain derailment occurs.Anybody agree with this? Anybody checked the Beast's rear wheel? It is a Walgoose bike.
    ...???
    Wheelbuilding
    (Check the section that says,"Which side of the flange?"}
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  74. #274
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    138
    Ordered my Beast on the 16th. Delivered to my door in Hawaii today! ...damaged. Something penetrated the box and hit the front wheel spokes and tore 4 of them out of the rim. We'll see what Walmart does to fix it...

  75. #275
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    They'll fix it.I doubt they want angry customers.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  76. #276
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    138
    Second Beast on its way!! Should have it by Tuesday.

  77. #277
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Rebel

  78. #278
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Too many negatives for me...I'm scared off about the Beast now...I'll prolly have to do too many mods I won't have access to the right equipment and parts to make it work.Until some lower priced fatbikes come along,i'm taking a pass.hope you guys have fun.
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  79. #279
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Too many negatives for me...I'm scared off about the Beast now...I'll prolly have to do too many mods I won't have access to the right equipment and parts to make it work.Until some lower priced fatbikes come along,i'm taking a pass.hope you guys have fun.
    Z
    Cool by me ... I still think you should look at the SUN offering.
    I think it would work better for you ... Unless you decide to jump into the 4 figure price range, it makes sense.

  80. #280
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Cool by me ... I still think you should look at the SUN offering.
    I think it would work better for you ... Unless you decide to jump into the 4 figure price range, it makes sense.
    Thanks for the thoughts.
    I'm not really in any type of hurry...I think Nashbar or somebody is going to have one soon...I just hope everybody has fun with the Beast,and as time goes on, and some more really cool ideas for the Beast come along,I might still get one.The Sun bikes are cool too though...with the right deal they could be good too.For now,I'll play with my 650b projects a while.After I get my wheels built,I got a coupla frames to try to fit them with.
    ...and the fun part is one is a Mongoose!! LOL (2009 Otero Elite full squish)
    If that fits 650b, I'll have a new toy for a while.
    ...Yip-eeee!!!!
    signed,
    60y.o. going on 13,
    Z
    P.S.
    -don't grow up.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  81. #281
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,379

    Re: Mongoose Beast review etc.... Walmart Fatty!

    Popped in to the local Walmart and there they were by the registers. A lot of people were stopping to look at them and sit on them. Most of them had large gouges in the downtubes and scratches in the finish.

    My gf hustled me out of there before I could really look one over. She could see that look on my face lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-uploadfromtaptalk1366559184642.jpg  

    No moss...

  82. #282
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Popped in to the local Walmart and there they were by the registers. A lot of people were stopping to look at them and sit on them. Most of them had large gouges in the downtubes and scratches in the finish.

    My gf hustled me out of there before I could really look one over. She could see that look on my face lol
    I got that look on my face right now.
    200 bucks.
    200bucks............
    two
    hundred
    bucks.
    I got a crank.Vee Rubber Vee8 tires are out.
    Drill out the rims.
    Chop-chop.Something to experiment with.
    200...buh...cks.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  83. #283
    Custom User Title
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    154
    um yeah, 200 bucks...

    drill out the rims..sure why not




  84. #284
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    I'm cavin' again.I neep something to hang my spare parts on anyway.
    ....flip-flop.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  85. #285
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    138
    Second try arrived in perfect condition. Now the mods begin....

  86. #286
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    138
    I'm betting its the only one on the island..

  87. #287
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    54
    Did it ship for free to Hawaii?!

  88. #288
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    138
    Yes it did - I was absolutely amazed!

  89. #289
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    73
    I just hope no one thinks it handles like the majority of fat bikes. It's steering is weird compared to the pug at the very least.

  90. #290
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    138
    This is the only fat tire bike I've ever ridden - just can't go down to the LBS and test one out. Being a custom motorcycle builder (frames, wheels, everything), I can only relate to that. I'd say the steering is just about right. Seems fairly nimble, but also has enough rake/trail to keep it stable. I'm sure it's different than some of the high dollar bikes, but - unrideable. Nope.
    I have a co-worker who is heavy into biking (has a full suspension 26lb Turner amongst others) and he absolutely loved riding this thing. His is on order now.

  91. #291
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Larry Endomorph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by chopsmitty View Post
    I'm betting its the only one on the island..
    The green likes cool.

    Quick question: how many teeth on the rear cog?
    Out to ride

  92. #292
    Dr Gadget is IN
    Reputation: wadester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Endomorph View Post
    The green likes cool.

    Quick question: how many teeth on the rear cog?
    Stock gearing is 36x18
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

    WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

  93. #293
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    anyone 6'3" tall ridden one of these yet?

  94. #294
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    138
    I'm 6 foot even with a 34" inseam and no probs here.

  95. #295
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,379
    Im 6'3'. I sat on one in the store. Seat was slammed all the way down but i was surprised that it didnt feel tight or cramped. Didint pedal it around though
    No moss...

  96. #296
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by chopsmitty View Post
    no probs here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    didnt feel tight or cramped.
    sweeeeeet....

    thanks!

  97. #297
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jim Hannoonen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    63

    Replacement BB Spindle

    So I ordered a replacement spindle from Cycles U.S. Extra Wide Bottom Bracket Axle - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S. and unfortunately, it's a no go. It's about a 1/2" shorter and the bearing races are about 1/8" further apart than the stock BB spindle on each side.
    I installed some spacers on the fixed side of the BB when I installed it but have barely 2mm clearance on the drive side and the crank arm hits the frame if I put any real pressure on the left pedal.

    I can cruise it back and forth to work in a leisurely fashion, but that's about it.

    So, I decide to call WalMart customer support. After being on hold for only a couple minutes, I tell her that the BB spindle is bent and need to find out how I can get a replacement. She says "We can ship you a new bike and you can just take out the part you want and ship it back" I tell her that seems kind of wasteful and I'd rather just try to order the part, so she gives me the # for Pacific bicycle's customer support.
    The woman I spoke to at Pacific said it's not a problem to warranty the spindle and they will send one out when they're available,which will be in MIND JUNE!

    So I order it, call back WalMart and am having them send me a bike.

    So bottom line, if you bend your spindle, you may have to jump through some hoops, but you'll eventually get one (or two).

    That is all.

  98. #298
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by chopsmitty View Post
    This is the only fat tire bike I've ever ridden - just can't go down to the LBS and test one out.
    ??? THere were a few tommisea fat sand bikes at the bike shop in Waikoloa- Queens marketplace mall where I was visiting there 6 months ago, looks like that is pretty close to you.

  99. #299
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hannoonen View Post
    So I ordered a replacement spindle from Cycles U.S. [
    I installed some spacers on the fixed side of the BB when I installed it but have barely 2mm clearance on the drive side and the crank arm hits the frame if I put any real pressure on the left pedal.
    Another option for anyone else in this delimia - you could easily add a clearance diviot to the chainstay so that the crank clears while under load. No structural problem to do this on a heavy steel frame.

  100. #300
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Jim, good to know.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mongoose XR-PRO at Walmart for $379, Anygood?
    By jaycarl in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 01-25-2015, 10:24 PM
  2. Mongoose Beast... cannot wait
    By 2silent in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 08:59 AM
  3. My new Mongoose 29" mountain bike review.
    By FJMobil in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 08:22 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 11:41 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 06:19 AM

Members who have read this thread: 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •