Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051 View Post
    Does anyone know the dimensions of the seat post? I am hoping it is 27.2...
    Seiosuly doubt that, a 1-1/8" seattube needs 0.6mm tube wall to utilize a 27.2mm peatpost. Steel bikes using 27.2mm seatpost have high strength CrMo steel. If you were to go that thin with cheap high-carbon steel, the frame would crack even faster than a puglsey seat cluster.

mtbr member
    They are not the spider thread pattern. They are the other ones they make sans the skulls, but they are like rocks. They are the lowest quality fat tire I have ever seen, it its ok because the bike was $200. All I'm saying is don't run out and buy them thinking you are getting a high quality tire like the others out there. It's $30 for a reason.

Do I work for qbp, I wish. Just an OG fat biker from the original purple pug days.

Tomorrow I will swap the tires out and weigh them.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051 View Post
    Does anyone know the dimensions of the seat post? I am hoping it is 27.2...

28.6, from the other thread.

mtbr member
    My red one showed up today.

Didn't have time to assemble, but looked it over. A few facts:
    - my Mona Lisa refrigerator magnet sticks to it, so it must be steel
    - no bottle cage braze-ons
    - gearing: 36 front, 18 rear
    - triangle interior dimensions: 20 7/8 inches by 11 inches by 24 7/8 inches
    - the red looks pretty nice
    Last edited by Larry Endomorph; 03-28-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    from the ratrodbikes forum...
    ...and the driver stated he is 5'9" tall...(i dont know how much this is in cm) and iam to lazy to calculate at the moment...
    Mongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-mongoosebeastmeasurment.jpgMongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-dsc0032nn.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'll likely be drilling my rims, changing tubes, removing stickers etc. tomorrow. I'll get a new weight.

mtbr member
    I put mine together last night. It was poorly packaged, but the frame is not scratched. The headset was way too tight. So was the front hub. And the chain was as tight as a guitar string. I expected problems, so no worries.

Took it for a ride. Whoever said red bikes were fastest were wrong! 36/18 gearing on this thing is just too darn hard. I went 13.5 flat miles on pavement and averaged 9 miles per hour. I slowed down for the many puddles in order to stay dry. I might have averaged 10 mph if I hadn't.

I'm 6'2". The seatpost is out as far as it can go, and the seat is all the way back. I rotated the bars forward to spread things out. The bike is still too small for me. A longer seat post (Amazon.com: Kalloy 28.6 X 400mm Black: Sports & Outdoors) and a riser quill stem (Universal Cycles -- Kalloy Riser Quill Stem) and some bars from the parts box might solve the problem. And the gearing has to change. I'll have to figure out how to make that happen.

I went into this with my eyes wide open, so I'm not complaining. But there might be a red one for sale soon.
    Last edited by Larry Endomorph; 04-27-2013 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Rear is 18 teeth. I originally said 16.
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would probably fit it with a 24t rear cog and accept that this is the wrong bike for trying to go any faster than 5mph.

Larry- the kalloy post you linked to has zero setback. It will get you sitting up higher but also further forward. I would find another post with a long setback to fit you to better, this will also help extend the saddle to bars reach distance.

I am curious to see a close-up picture of the crankset and a confirmed measurment of the bottom-bracket shell width.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    I am curious to see a close-up picture of the crankset and a confirmed measurment of the bottom-bracket shell width.
    Do these help? If not, I can try again if you give me more specifics about what you'd like to see.
    Mongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-p1010445r.jpgMongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-p1010446r.jpgMongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-p1010442r2.jpg
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    How about a full pic of that Red?I got one coming and I haven't seen a decent pic of red yet..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    How about a full pic of that Red?
    As you wish.
    Mongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-img_20130328_193804r.jpgMongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-img_20130328_193818r.jpgMongoose Beast review etc....  Walmart Fatty!-img_20130328_193835r.jpg
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Endomorph View Post
    Do these help? If not, I can try again if you give me more specifics about what you'd like to see.

Thanks! Very wierd that they decided to forge ahead with an entirely new 110mm wide bottom bracke shell standard. Is this something derived from the bizzaro chopper bike world? THat will complicate an easy crank&bottom bracked upgrade for a lot of owners. I suppose you could probably cut & face the shell back to 100mm standard.

mtbr member
    Thanks Larry!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I would probably fit it with a 24t rear cog and accept that this is the wrong bike for trying to go any faster than 5mph.

Larry- the kalloy post you linked to has zero setback. It will get you sitting up higher but also further forward. I would find another post with a long setback to fit you to better, this will also help extend the saddle to bars reach distance.

you could also grab one of these (Amazon.com: Origin8 1-1/8" Threaded to 1-1/8" Threadless Quill Stem Adapter: Sports & Outdoors) and have your pick of all the threadless stems too...

Dr Gadget is IN
    Thanks! Very wierd that they decided to forge ahead with an entirely new 110mm wide bottom bracke shell standard. Is this something derived from the bizzaro chopper bike world? THat will complicate an easy crank&bottom bracked upgrade for a lot of owners. I suppose you could probably cut & face the shell back to 100mm standard.
    The "standard" they used is the old cup&cone/square taper system. The only unique parts are the shell and the axle. They picked that width to get the chainline they wanted with the off their shelf crankset they used.

And yes, you'll have to trim it to run a 100mm external BB set. If Profile would make a longer axle, that could work nicely. Longest is 175mm(6 7/8"), but that wasn't enough to clear Fatback chainstays.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

banned
    Aug 2012
    Tire clearance ... Can someone measure the frame/fork, and post some numbers.

I.E.
    Will it take a Bud & Lou combination, or is it a bit to narrow for that set of tires ?

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    The "standard" they used is the old cup&cone/square taper system. The only unique parts are the shell and the axle. They picked that width to get the chainline they wanted with the off their shelf crankset they used.

And yes, you'll have to trim it to run a 100mm external BB set. If Profile would make a longer axle, that could work nicely. Longest is 175mm(6 7/8"), but that wasn't enough to clear Fatback chainstays.
    Good ... Cranks are everywhere for that old system ... Single/double/triple ... Got a few in a box, somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    quick question....don't know much about headsets and forks, but is it possible to change the headset to a threadless (1 1/8) and put a different fork on it? the reason being is that I'd like to have at least a second brake on it rather than just relying on the coaster brake ( if it is possible, I'd be cannibalizing my half fat commuter ).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalbo View Post
    ..is it possible to change the headset to a threadless (1 1/8) and put a different fork on it? the reason being is that I'd like to have at least a second brake on it ...
    You could put a drum brake on it. They don't need the disk mounts.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm following this thread up.
    I laughed about this bike before, but now...
    I too might get one...
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Will it take a Bud & Lou combination, or is it a bit to narrow for that set of tires ?
    Wouldn't this be the equivalent of throwing VOLKS on a 88 honda civic?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Should be able to take the fork off, remove the old cups from the frame, press in cups for the threadless set and install the headset with your new fork.

Quote Originally Posted by kalbo View Post
    quick question....don't know much about headsets and forks, but is it possible to change the headset to a threadless (1 1/8) and put a different fork on it? the reason being is that I'd like to have at least a second brake on it rather than just relying on the coaster brake ( if it is possible, I'd be cannibalizing my half fat commuter ).

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Wouldn't this be the equivalent of throwing VOLKS on a 88 honda civic?
    NOPE !!!
    It'd be like converting a Moonlander to SS, and saving over 2 GRAND in the process.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    man, it's a shame they had to go and lengthen the stays for a kickstand when they have the wide BB to give it nice short stays if they had wanted to.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    man, it's a shame they had to go and lengthen the stays for a kickstand when they have the wide BB to give it nice short stays if they had wanted to.
    Just be glad they didnt copy the TommiSea chainstay length! The fatgoose actually manages to look much better overall. I predict that TommiSea sales are about to take a huge plunge

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast